PDA

View Full Version : Cunningham: What do we do? (new material, I promise)

Lucky Strike
06-08-2008, 09:34 PM
He's been very frustrating to watch at times but it dawned on me that he has 3 goals in 434 minutes. That's a goal every 1.6 games. Usually, that's a great rate. So is he really crap or are the missed chances just getting to us?

Lenny Dikestra
06-08-2008, 09:35 PM
He could be better , but I think he is a good sub for sure>>>

Northern Soul
06-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Crap. Sorry, when you have that many good opportunites, as a striker you have to take them. Not good enough.

MG42
06-08-2008, 09:44 PM
that header he missed in the 1st half was terrible

Lucky Strike
06-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Crap. Sorry, when you have that many good opportunites, as a striker you have to take them. Not good enough.

I noticed your comment in the game thread. I thought too he was playing for a penalty but he was kicked in the head. Aside from that, I don't know what to think: he's annoying to watch and seems like the worse player ever, yet the numbers tell a different story. That being said, I still want a DP striker no matter what.

alexintoronto
06-08-2008, 09:47 PM
He could have had 3 goals.

The header, a penalty and his goal

shaggingscot
06-08-2008, 09:47 PM
He's been very frustrating to watch at times but it dawned on me that he has 3 goals in 434 minutes. That's a goal every 1.6 games. Usually, that's a great rate. So is he really crap or are the missed chances just getting to us?

He's truly that crap, case in point, through ball to him in the first half. Instead of running at the defender his first touch takes him towards the corner flag allowing Houston to get numbers back and he ends up holding the ball outside of the box waiting for support. His game is supposed to be a speed game where he attacks the defenders, sorry but we're now getting an up close look at why he's been run out of every other city he's played in. Tonnes of potential, doesn't know the fucking game. Christ my 10 year old runs at the defender when he gets a chance like that....:mad:

ExiledRed
06-08-2008, 09:49 PM
He scored a great goal, but his missed chances and aborted runs were embarrassing

He also faded into non existence after he scored, even though the rest of the team stepped it up a notch (for a while)

It was like he'd done his bit, and that was it.

mclaren
06-08-2008, 09:52 PM

agreed - rearrange the words 'goat' and 'scape' to find your answer.

reggie
06-08-2008, 10:05 PM
cunny is crap...but how easy chances has smith missed...holy shit....

ExiledRed
06-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Cunny is not a scapegoat, He's a Billy Goat.

He's a lazy git, who stopped playing after he (finally) scored.

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-09-2008, 01:12 AM
We need two new strikers. A DP / high quality player and someone who can contribute as a sub. or spot starter. We simply don’t have enough depth at the position. Smith’s demonstrating a lack of finishing comparable to Cunninghams’. I hope management understands that changes have to happen sooner than later.

Fiin
06-09-2008, 04:53 AM
We need two new strikers. A DP / high quality player and someone who can contribute as a sub. or spot starter. We simply don’t have enough depth at the position. Smith’s demonstrating a lack of finishing comparable to Cunninghams’. I hope management understands that changes have to happen sooner than later.

We need a DeRo style player. Gives it his all and controls the game. DeRo dictated that game to us.

Yah, 2 new strikers would be ok, even 1 so we cans drop DD to where he is at his best.

professor
06-09-2008, 06:09 AM
The good
a good strike, scored a goal;

The bad
so many missed opportunities (not just last night);

The ugly
the "Cunny"
NO 2nd effort
NO tenacity
the consistency of his inconsistency

trade him, get whatevers the going rate is

rocker
06-09-2008, 07:25 AM
Smith finishes like Lombardo.

Cantstoptherock
06-09-2008, 07:46 AM
Smith finishes like Lombardo.

Except Smith has actually found the back of the net in MLS.

rocker
06-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Except Smith has actually found the back of the net in MLS.

Lombardo never played with Laurent Robert.

Smith has the same feet as Lombardo (the one goal he scored was off a rebound from Robert, and he scored with his head ;)

bhoybobby
06-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Cunny is a "me 1st" guy. He has been a self absorbed tit since he arrived. As far as football goes he's a thick fuck.

We can't afford to have a waster like that on our team. With him in the starting line-up, we'll never win much of anything, watching that prick destroys the soul.

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Cunny is a "me 1st" guy. He has been a self absorbed tit since he arrived. As far as football goes he's a thick fuck.

We can't afford to have a waster like that on our team. With him in the starting line-up, we'll never win much of anything, watching that prick destroys the soul.

Until we get a new striker in, you have a better option?

I thought last night was a good indication of why we labelled Jeff and Danny the Fast and the Furious. I thought once Dichio came on, they played well off each other. Cunningham is NOT a lone striker. He has to work with someone otherwise he seems lost. When he's got someone to play back and forth with, he does well. When he's stuck up in lone striker position he can't do anything.

bhoybobby
06-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Until we get a new striker in, you have a better option?

I thought last night was a good indication of why we labelled Jeff and Danny the Fast and the Furious. I thought once Dichio came on, they played well off each other. Cunningham is NOT a lone striker. He has to work with someone otherwise he seems lost. When he's got someone to play back and forth with, he does well. When he's stuck up in lone striker position he can't do anything.

Yeah, don't play him, we're a better team when he's off the park. Given how fucking useless he is, I'd play Lombardo.

Lombardo didn't have the luxury of playing with the new talent on this years team.

For me Cunny is as useless as tits on a nun, GHTF We will win squat with him on our team, he's shite defined

Danbwoy
06-09-2008, 08:16 AM
We need a DeRo style player. Gives it his all and controls the game. DeRo dictated that game to us.

We have a DeRo type player. His name is Amado Guevara.

Pachuco
06-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Yeah, don't play him, we're a better team when he's off the park. Given how fucking useless he is, I'd play Lombardo.

Lombardo didn't have the luxury of playing with the new talent on this years team.

For me Cunny is as useless as tits on a nun, GHTF We will win squat with him on our team, he's shite defined

Yeah, 3 goals in his last 3 games, real shite of a striker. Why don't some of you take a moment to try and learn something about this game. He's a better striker then Smith, hands down. Smith is invisible up front, does alot of useless running and rarely gets into a position to score. When he has put himself in a position, he's missed. Cunningham gets a TON of chances every game BECAUSE HE KNOWS THIS GAME. He is an out and out striker who knows where to be at the right times. As long as he keeps scoring 1 goal a game I could care less how many he misses. Would you rather a striker that creates 4 changes in a game and puts 1 away, or a striker who gets one chance and can't put it away? geeeze.

S_D
06-09-2008, 08:43 AM
there isn't anthing wrong with cunningham's strike rate at all. I think what is more concerning is his timing. Had he got an earlier goal, the face of the game would have changed.

But that being said, If we bring in another striker, can we expect more than a goal every game and a half? I am not sure.

What we need is a credible backup for Guevarra, and we need the midfield to start scoring goals.

Northern Soul
06-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Yeah, 3 goals in his last 3 games, real shite of a striker. Why don't some of you take a moment to try and learn something about this game. He's a better striker then Smith, hands down. Smith is invisible up front, does alot of useless running and rarely gets into a position to score. When he has put himself in a position, he's missed. Cunningham gets a TON of chances every game BECAUSE HE KNOWS THIS GAME. He is an out and out striker who knows where to be at the right times. As long as he keeps scoring 1 goal a game I could care less how many he misses. Would you rather a striker that creates 4 changes in a game and puts 1 away, or a striker who gets one chance and can't put it away? geeeze.

Before you start insulting me and everyone else on this board, you'd better watch it. There are a lot of us who know a lot about football. What you don't seem to get, is that the goal he scored tonight was meaningless. All of the chances he had earlier in the game he wasted. If he'd have scored a goal at that point, fine, but most of the goals he scores are ones that won't affect the outcome either way.

Red CB Toronto
06-09-2008, 08:54 AM
I am really looking forward to what could be a very special Saturday afternoon against Colorado when Cunny goes for the century mark.

Pachuco
06-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Before you start insulting me and everyone else on this board, you'd better watch it. There are a lot of us who know a lot about football. What you don't seem to get, is that the goal he scored tonight was meaningless. All of the chances he had earlier in the game he wasted. If he'd have scored a goal at that point, fine, but most of the goals he scores are ones that won't affect the outcome either way.

Oh yeah, how did I insult you and everyone else on this board? and I better watch what?

He scored the winning goal against LA so you're wrong there. He also sealed the deal in the home game against LA, so again, you're wrong there. 2 out of 3 goals this year have affected the outcome of the game. Try Again!!!

How many times did Smith get himself in a position to score? ONCE, and he missed.

I'm not here to bash Smith, cause again, he's a great player but he needs to be in the midfield. I just simply don't understand how some of you can bash Cunningham when he's actually producing.

Northern Soul
06-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Oh yeah, how did I insult you and everyone else on this board? and I better watch what?

He scored the winning goal against LA so you're wrong there. He also sealed the deal in the home game against LA, so again, you're wrong there. 2 out of 3 goals this year have affected the outcome of the game. Try Again!!!

How many times did Smith get himself in a position to score? ONCE, and he missed.

I'm not here to bash Smith, cause again, he's a great player but he needs to be in the midfield. I just simply don't understand how some of you can bash Cunningham when he's actually producing.

You insulted us by saying we need to learn something about football. Just because someone's opinion differs from yours doesn't mean they don't know anything.

Anyway, Cunningham may be "producing" according to you, but I don't think he's a game-changer. The home game vs LA would still have been a win at 1-0. We need a game changing striker. I don't think Smith is that either.

TorontoBlades
06-09-2008, 09:17 AM
I wanted to bash in those smug fuckin announcers last night with a heavy brick. Combined with the shit camera work last night was the most painful game I've watched this season.

Oh and about Cunningham, it baffles me because he is a lazy and strange player. But the strike rate doesn't lie. He could be the MLS' Crouch...just a completely different player.

S_D
06-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Wow seems to me that this board isn't happy unless the team has a scapegoat. We need Welsh back.

Cunningham has changed the game, just not last night's game. The defense was terrible, the midfield didn't do it's job, and the defensive tactic/longball sucked. I guess when that happens we need a forward who can get 3 goals a game to keep us in it. If you know of one, please let us know lol.

The ONLY time I saw some possession footies was for about a minute after Cunny scored the goal. What I think is more worthy of debate is what happened to the team we saw against KC and RSL? If we can only do that at home or against a team that is missing key components, TFC is in trouble and will be sneaking into the playoffs if they are lucky. Certainly won't be contenders for the cup. No DP striker is going to change that.

jabbronies
06-09-2008, 09:20 AM
well here's how it lines up in my head:

late first half, Cunny, our supposed "Go to Guy" misses a golden opportunity to score and put us up 1-0 going into the break, ball gets turned over, the other teams "Go to Guy" scores. They are now up 1-0 going into the break.

That scenario alone should show us what we're missing. Someone who can finish the job when the time is right!

bhoybobby
06-09-2008, 09:21 AM

As long as he scores one a game, you don't care how many he misses??

That says it all about your knowledge. It's when you score, it's what you do for your team mates, it's what you do when you don't have the ball.

Meaningless goals are just that meaningless, Cunny & his vain me, me shirt can go anytime. He's not a team player. We'll win nothing with him playing, nothing.

Northern Soul
06-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Wow seems to me that this board isn't happy unless the team has a scapegoat. We need Welsh back.

Cunningham has changed the game, just not last night's game. The defense was terrible, the midfield didn't do it's job, and the defensive tactic/longball sucked. I guess when that happens we need a forward who can get 3 goals a game to keep us in it. If you know of one, please let us know lol.

The ONLY time I saw some possession footies was for about a minute after Cunny scored the goal. What I think is more worthy of debate is what happened to the team we saw against KC and RSL? If we can only do that at home or against a team that is missing key components, TFC is in trouble and will be sneaking into the playoffs if they are lucky. Certainly won't be contenders for the cup. No DP striker is going to change that.

No question the entire team played like crap last night. That's not what we're debating in this thread. A game-changing striker forces defenses to play differently against them. All Cunningham has is speed. His touch is terrible, and he cannot make a run to anticipate a ball if his life depended on it. If he could do those things, he'd certainly have more than 99 MLS goals.

jabbronies
06-09-2008, 09:33 AM
It's when you score, it's what you do for your team mates, it's what you do when you don't have the ball.

Meaningless goals are just that meaningless,

This is exactly it.
What would you rather have?

Teams are tied 0-0, just before the half, anyones game at this point, guy scores and they're up 1-0
or
Team is loosing 3-0, late in the game, drained of energy, both teams have basically given up(winning team is now sitting back and controlling all ball possesion while the lossing team is just going through the motions). Guy scores it's now 3-1.

Cunny only comes through in the second scenario - when the game has already been decided, he seems to either wake up or IMO get lucky.

The only time I'll give him credit for his goal scoring ability was the Galaxy game....please let me know of another time where he's come through when the team has really needed him? Isn't that why we pay him? to score goals when it's needed?

TFC OZZ
06-09-2008, 09:45 AM
You need to remember that SOME of the chances that Cunny misses, other forwards wouldn't create. Ya he misses way too much, but as far as I'm concerned, he makes himself way more chances than other strikers would. I'd love him to score more, but I just don't see him doing that. He's our best option right now. I really like him, and honestly you guys are way to harsh and always need a scapegoat.

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 09:49 AM
If he could do those things, he'd certainly have more than 99 MLS goals.

If he could do that, he wouldn't be in the MLS. He would have been picked up by a club somewhere else in the world long ago.

Again I'll state that playing Cunny in a lone striker is like playing Beckham as a dedicated Attacking Mid. It's not their role. Once Cunny had someone to work with in Dichio, his game improved. Cunny needs to work with another player and not just chase balls from a defensive boot, which was pretty much anytime we got the ball. *cough*last year*cough*

Pachuco
06-09-2008, 09:59 AM
This is exactly it.
What would you rather have?

Teams are tied 0-0, just before the half, anyones game at this point, guy scores and they're up 1-0
or
Team is loosing 3-0, late in the game, drained of energy, both teams have basically given up(winning team is now sitting back and controlling all ball possesion while the lossing team is just going through the motions). Guy scores it's now 3-1.

Cunny only comes through in the second scenario - when the game has already been decided, he seems to either wake up or IMO get lucky.

The only time I'll give him credit for his goal scoring ability was the Galaxy game....please let me know of another time where he's come through when the team has really needed him? Isn't that why we pay him? to score goals when it's needed?

WOW, little history lesson. Cunny's scored 3 goals this year with limited playing time. 1 won the game in the final minutes. The other sealed the deal when we were up 1-0. The other refers to your 3-1 scenario. So tell me, who would you change Cunny for right now? if you're so smart then who should be playing instead of him? given Dichio is a bit injured?????

Pachuco
06-09-2008, 10:05 AM
As long as he scores one a game, you don't care how many he misses??

That says it all about your knowledge. It's when you score, it's what you do for your team mates, it's what you do when you don't have the ball.

Meaningless goals are just that meaningless, Cunny & his vain me, me shirt can go anytime. He's not a team player. We'll win nothing with him playing, nothing.

Meaningless goals huh? if Cunny doesn't score the winner in LA we'd be sitting near the bottom and have 0 away wins. But that's right, that's a meaningless goal because the only thing your thick head can remember is the meaningless ROCKET against Houston which could end up being Goal of the Week.

Oh, and Cunny is a striker. So yes, I want him scoring goals and creating chances. Which is what he's done for us this year with limited playing time.

Limani_Ole
06-09-2008, 10:43 AM
cunny can only make runs with the ball and try beating defenders one-on-one
a very one dimensional player..

didnt link up with Dichio that well at all.. even had him open for a pass at one point but decided to run at two defenders infront of him..

might as well run track..

bhoybobby
06-09-2008, 12:39 PM
[quote=Pachuco;40113]Meaningless goals huh? if Cunny doesn't score the winner in LA we'd be sitting near the bottom and have 0 away wins. But that's right, that's a meaningless goal because the only thing your thick head can remember is the meaningless ROCKET against Houston which could end up being Goal of the Week.

Oh, and Cunny is a striker. So yes, I want him scoring goals and creating chances. Which is what he's done for us this year with limited playing time.[/quote)

Opinions can vary, you can leave out the thick head stuff anytime.

You rate Cunny, I don't, nothing wring with that

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 01:03 PM
cunny can only make runs with the ball and try beating defenders one-on-one
a very one dimensional player..

didnt link up with Dichio that well at all.. even had him open for a pass at one point but decided to run at two defenders infront of him..

might as well run track..

I dunno, maybe it's just me but I can't think of more than 2 occasions where Cunny actually ran AT defenders in that game. I thought more often than not, he ran out wide effectively trying to hold the ball up while at the same time letting Houston recover their backline. He SHOULD have been running at the defenders more often, it's what he's good at.

shaggingscot
06-09-2008, 01:12 PM
I dunno, maybe it's just me but I can't think of more than 2 occasions where Cunny actually ran AT defenders in that game. I thought more often than not, he ran out wide effectively trying to hold the ball up while at the same time letting Houston recover their backline. He SHOULD have been running at the defenders more often, it's what he's good at.

That, and his missing sitters are the reasons he gets so much stick. With his physical tools he should be a far better player than he is, unfortunately he isn't and we're stuck with it, for now at least.

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 01:14 PM
That, and his missing sitters are the reasons he gets so much stick. With his physical tools he should be a far better player than he is, unfortunately he isn't and we're stuck with it, for now at least.

I'll say it again as well. If he could finish his chances, he would have been out of the MLS long ago. You work with what you've got.

ExiledRed
06-09-2008, 01:30 PM
I'll say it again as well. If he could finish his chances, he would have been out of the MLS long ago. You work with what you've got.

Yeah and if he got every call his way due to his diving, he'd be playing in (XXCensoredXX)

The referee was ready to card him for being a useless actor. Yes he got clipped slightly in the side of the head, but he went down clutching his face.

The guy would rather win a penalty than score a goal, and he will go down unneccesarily before taking a shot, because he knows that even at point blank range, he'll probably miss.

shaggingscot
06-09-2008, 01:36 PM

Agreed but it doesn't mean you have to like it....

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Yeah and if he got every call his way due to his diving, he'd be playing in (XXCensoredXX)

The referee was ready to card him for being a useless actor. Yes he got clipped slightly in the side of the head, but he went down clutching his face.

The guy would rather win a penalty than score a goal, and he will go down unneccesarily before taking a shot, because he knows that even at point blank range, he'll probably miss.

Trust me mate, I yelled at the TV screen. Was about to retract my statement when I saw the replay of the boot, then stuck with it when I saw it barely clipped him. He does dive too much, it sucks because if he stays on his feet he's free on goal.

Shaughno
06-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Just a comment from the Sweden game that I thought applied pretty damn well to our situation with Cunny. :p

"Sums up Zlatan's all round game this performance by him. He can spend large periods completely detached from the match but then, out of nowhere, produces a moment of sublime class just to show people who's boss. Infuriatingly brilliant player!"

ExiledRed
06-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Just a comment from the Sweden game that I thought applied pretty damn well to our situation with Cunny. :p

Quote:
"Sums up Zlatan's all round game this performance by him. He can spend large periods completely detached from the match but then, out of nowhere, produces a moment of sublime class just to show people who's boss. Infuriatingly brilliant player!"

You mean a lazy bum, who only gives fifty percent?

Shaughno
06-10-2008, 03:36 PM
:lol: Pretty much. In the end coming through with a goal here and there to make sure everyone knows he's still there.