PDA

View Full Version : New Acadamy Keeper Coach

Batman
09-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Through some rather strange means I've found out were negotiating and / or have already signed another coach to the acadamy as a GK coach.

I believe we will find that shortly we'll be announcing former Celtic / Wigan keeper from a number of years back, Stewart Kerr to join the academy squad as a GK coach.

I'm not sure if it's final, but I'm certain we'll hear about it shortly.

Lucky Strike
09-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Talk about random...good find. I suppose this is the type of thing that you can't say where you came across this?

Shaughno
09-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Good pickup for sure.

Batman
09-14-2009, 02:31 PM
I'll hold off for now as I'm not 100% certain if it's definite or just being negotiated.

I'll probably know that within another day or so.

v00d00daddy
09-14-2009, 02:54 PM
I don't anything about this guy so I can't speak to whether this a good thing or a bad thing, but I was kind of hoping that the club would vary the "flavour" of the coaching/training staff a bit in the near future.

I mean, if the academy gk coach has be the same "flavour"....is there any chance that this club will ever be infused with somebody a little different?

Everybody of significance in this club is either Canadian or British..or Canadian/Ex -pat from somwhere in the U.K.

Not that it's a bad thing but a little injection of something new would go a long way, I think.

It reminds me of the CSA. Whatever, I guess.

SoccMan
09-14-2009, 03:10 PM
I tend to agree in terms of the coaching staff be it academy or first team. There is a big British influence in the coaching staff from academy to the first team. Your right it resembles the same makeup as the CSA and OSA. Soccer is played all over the world not just in Britain,how about bringing in some coaches other then Brits for a change. What's this love affair with all things British when it comes to coaching within the TFC organization?

TFC07
09-14-2009, 03:12 PM
I don't anything about this guy so I can't speak to whether this a good thing or a bad thing, but I was kind of hoping that the club would vary the "flavour" of the coaching/training staff a bit in the near future.

I mean, if the academy gk coach has be the same "flavour"....is there any chance that this club will ever be infused with somebody a little different?

Everybody of significance in this club is either Canadian or British..or Canadian/Ex -pat from somwhere in the U.K.

Not that it's a bad thing but a little injection of something new would go a long way, I think.

It reminds me of the CSA. Whatever, I guess.

Agreed.

I think it would be better if we can get a dutch, portuguese or south american coach in our academy. I hate this british and old school canadian soccer influence we have in Toronto. Looking at academy rosters, most of these kids don't even come from british backgrounds. I don't understand why we aren't hiring staff that relfects our team and city in general. Besides, Brits aren't known for coaching and developing players.

TFC07
09-14-2009, 03:22 PM
I tend to agree in terms of the coaching staff be it academy or first team. There is a big British influence in the coaching staff from academy to the first team. Your right it resembles the same makeup as the CSA and OSA. Soccer is played all over the world not just in Britain,how about bringing in some coaches other then Brits for a change. What's this love affair with all things British when it comes to coaching within the TFC organization?

I guess they're scared that non-brits end up schooling them and end up stealing their jobs.

v00d00daddy
09-14-2009, 03:22 PM
I didn't mean to bring this up to start an anti-British tirade. So please people, keep it civil.

I have no problem with having British coaches at TFC...I just don't understand why it has to be strictly British coaches.

What would people say if the entire coaching staff was made up of Canadians and people from Iceland? (chosen so as not to piss anyone off...sorry if you're reading this and you're Icelandic lol)
Supporters would have been questioning it from day one.

Variety is the spice of life...or something like that right? lol

v00d00daddy
09-14-2009, 03:24 PM
I guess they're scared that non-brits end up schooling them and end up stealing their jobs.

Are you trying to get people mad at you?:)

Pachuco
09-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Oh Oh, TFC07 is about to make this thread explode.

EDIT: I'm of the opinion that I don't care who it is, so long as it's the best man for the job. For all I know this guy is a completely different style then Cummins or Mo.

Batman
09-14-2009, 03:47 PM
The existing keeper coach is Mike Toshack

http://web.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t280&player=toshack_mike

Probably what is important for an acadamy keeper coach is that their styles and ideas mesh.

Mike appears to have been plying his trade in North America at various levels of NCAA, USL and now MLS.

Stewart Kerr is Scottish, and been purely in Scotland and England as far as I can tell. Obvously there's a connection with Mo. And it appears Mo likes to bring on people he is familar with with.

That makes sense. Any of us who have hired people also tend to go to familiar sources when they are capable and available.

I wish Stewart well. I'm all for beefing up our staff.

v00d00daddy
09-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Any of us who have hired people also tend to go to familiar sources when they are capable and available.

I wish Stewart well. I'm all for beefing up our staff.

Yes, but going to familiar sources limits TFC greatly in these situations.

That being said, the bolded part is the most important thing of course.

redcard
09-14-2009, 03:54 PM
I didn't mean to bring this up to start an anti-British tirade. So please people, keep it civil.

I have no problem with having British coaches at TFC...I just don't understand why it has to be strictly British coaches.

What would people say if the entire coaching staff was made up of Canadians and people from Iceland? (chosen so as not to piss anyone off...sorry if you're reading this and you're Icelandic lol)
Supporters would have been questioning it from day one.

Variety is the spice of life...or something like that right? lol

its not just a TFC thing...the OSA aka 'British Mafia' is mad happy for the brits as well!!

prizby
09-14-2009, 04:05 PM
90% of negotiations fall down the drain

i hope this doesn't though

Shway
09-14-2009, 05:58 PM
its not just a TFC thing...the OSA aka 'British Mafia' is mad happy for the brits as well!!

Hillariouss but soo truee its ridicullous
(ex osa player)

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-14-2009, 08:49 PM
I don't know anything about Stewart Kerr, but I'm surprised that a position with our academy would hold appeal from a coach from the UK. I would assume there would more of a chance for advancement in UK, owing to vastly greater number of clubs there.

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-14-2009, 09:35 PM
I don't know anything about Stewart Kerr, but I'm surprised that a position with our academy would hold appeal from a coach from the UK. I would assume there would more of a chance for advancement in UK, owing to vastly greater number of clubs there.

Kerr has worked good with the Celtic youth teams..the Problem was Celtic invested in keeper like Boruc, and the yongters never got any playing time and are now in the English championship/league one. With TFC he will do the same but TFC might be able to find a local gem that they will be able to keep and just not Let Go..How long we keep Frei is anyones guess? he might want to try europe or someone will come for him, so we might as well start looking local for the future.

T_Mizz
09-14-2009, 09:47 PM
well I'll give them this, TFC seem to be making a real effort to make this academy work I just hope we'll be able to see the results via a signing

DoubleUp
09-14-2009, 09:48 PM
If your english is broken in a bad way then your soccer credentials dont count.....thats how it is!. And the funny thing is, futbol in this country would be much further if we were using our ethnic minorities, like how we use them in factories.

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-15-2009, 01:35 AM
well I'll give them this, TFC seem to be making a real effort to make this academy work I just hope we'll be able to see the results via a signing

Agreed. I really surprised that the team is going to employ a fulltime academy goal keeping coach. It's great to see that level of commitment.

InTheCrowd
09-15-2009, 06:35 AM
What's with all the British staff?

Also does anyone know if this guy can coach?

TFC07
09-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Are you trying to get people mad at you?:)

If I admitted that I did, I would be banned.

EDIT: I'm of the opinion that I don't care who it is, so long as it's the best man for the job. For all I know this guy is a completely different style then Cummins or Mo.

I am not only person here who feels that way. Just read quote below:

If your english is broken in a bad way then your soccer credentials dont count.....thats how it is!. And the funny thing is, futbol in this country would be much further if we were using our ethnic minorities, like how we use them in factories.

That's Canada for ya!

What's with all the British staff?

Also does anyone know if this guy can coach?

If he can coach, then he wouldn't be here in Canada. He would be coaching in UK. :D

Seems like Mo is hiring bunch of British rejects who can't adapt to new style of soccer. They're probably teach kids to kick and run and learn how to use your athletic abilities instead of teaching actually soccer skills.

rocker
09-15-2009, 09:01 AM
the cultural bias and opinions based on zero information in this thread are appalling.

but that's the internet for you!

Beach_Red
09-15-2009, 09:01 AM
That's Canada for ya!

If he can coach, then he wouldn't be here in Canada. He would be coaching in UK. :D

It is Canada. Those of us who've spent our whole lives here know that Canada only gets the world's rejects - in every field, not just soccer.

Really, for how many people on this board is Canada (or Toronto) their #1 choice of places to live?

TFC07
09-15-2009, 09:08 AM
It is Canada. Those of us who've spent our whole lives here know that Canada only gets the world's rejects - in every field, not just soccer.

Really, for how many people on this board is Canada (or Toronto) their #1 choice of places to live?

Not true. Canada attracts a lot of educated immigrants (doctors, engineers etc.) who rather live and work in Canada than their old country.

I know Canada/Toronto has a great rep in Asia. People in Asia generally view Canada highly than most of western nations, and prefer to live in Canada than most western nations.

Pachuco
09-15-2009, 09:15 AM
If I admitted that I did, I would be banned.

I am not only person here who feels that way. Just read quote below:

That's Canada for ya!

Seems like Mo is hiring bunch of British rejects who can't adapt to new style of soccer. They're probably teach kids to kick and run and learn how to use your athletic abilities instead of teaching actually soccer skills.

What part of Brittain land does Nick Dasovic come from?

Daveisonfire
09-15-2009, 09:15 AM
I don't see a problem with hiring a GK coach from the UK.

It's not as if there is distinctive regional styles for goalkeeping.

As long as he is good at developing goalkeeping technique and can work well with the youngsters then more power to him.

TFC07
09-15-2009, 09:22 AM
What part of Brittain land does Nick Dasovic come from?

Read my first post. old school canadian soccer = british football.

BTW, is Dasovic even viewed highly as a coach or was just hired because he was a Canadian? If Dasovic wasn't working for TFC, would even have a job as a coach? With exceptions of whitecaps, probably not.

v00d00daddy
09-15-2009, 09:45 AM

As long as he is good at developing goalkeeping technique and can work well with the youngsters then more power to him.

I don't have a problem with it either unless he's joining a staff already full of Brits.

For example....why does TFC have a strength and conditioning and equipment manager that are both brits?

It seems very slanted to me....and there is no good reason for it.

Batman
09-15-2009, 01:29 PM

Absolutely right.

I think some people simply object to the principle of another UK coach. However, in practice, as long as he's qualified, who really cares where he's from.

It seems to me 1 year of EPL and SPL playing experience plus many years of youth coaching more than qualifies someone to be an academy GK Coach! The fact that Mo also must have known him for many years also is reassuring.

Welcome to Toronto Stewart!
:canada::drinking:

Jings
09-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Theres a great South American coach who will be free soon. We should sign him. He knows how to cheat and score with his hands too.

maninb
09-15-2009, 02:03 PM

Canada is ROUTINELY listed as one of the top 3 countries to live in the world...many times it's been #1....obviously you haven't been keeping up on things...Toronto is the MOST MULTICULTURAL CITY IN THE WORLD...but hey if ya don't like it move to Nebraska...

MUFC_Niagara
09-15-2009, 02:10 PM

Exactly. The "anit-British" movement on here is comical at times. I don't care where they come from....as long as they are the best person for the job.

MUFC_Niagara
09-15-2009, 02:15 PM
I don't have a problem with it either unless he's joining a staff already full of Brits.

For example....why does TFC have a strength and conditioning and equipment manager that are both brits?

It seems very slanted to me....and there is no good reason for it.

Maybe because Winsper is recognized as one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in the business? "No good reason for it?" Looking at our injury record in the first 2 seasons vs. season 3 how can you honestly say that there is no good reason for it. Winsper has keep our squad fit and virtually injury free. We no longer fall over and die after the 65th minute and actually go on to score goals. Give your head a shake.

tfc
09-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Read my first post. old school canadian soccer = british football.

BTW, is Dasovic even viewed highly as a coach or was just hired because he was a Canadian? If Dasovic wasn't working for TFC, would even have a job as a coach? With exceptions of whitecaps, probably not.

no offense, but did you even attempt at creating a logical argument here? equating ethnic background to style of play is a fairly absurd notion, considering many players have played many styles before entering a coaching career. is DD going to be classified as a british coach? enthically yes, but he also played in italy, and may use that as his primary coaching style. therefore, not british.

Moreover, what are you trying to say about daso? since he's canadian there is no way he is a good coach, therefore we shouldn't have hired him? yeaa ... that makes sense ... lets not try to produce canadian coaches. what was the FO thinking in trying to make canadians good coaches, they are from canada, they clearly dont have the mental capacity to understand football tactics, man management, or any other qualities top coaches have. :facepalm:

this whole 'we are fucked cause our coaches are british' idea is pretty insane. ethnicity has, and shouldn't have, any bearing at all on any of these debates. some countries produce better players, coaches, etc than others because they are better funded and/or take football as seriously as we as canadians take hockey. TFC shouldn't be trying to pick up coaches and players from 'whatever country you're from', they should be trying to produce players and coaches from within. not only will this help TFC as a club, but also put canadian players on the map as the next big footballing nation.

MUFC_Niagara
09-15-2009, 02:27 PM
no offense, but did you even attempt at creating a logical argument here? equating ethnic background to style of play is a fairly absurd notion, considering many players have played many styles before entering a coaching career. is DD going to be classified as a british coach? enthically yes, but he also played in italy, and may use that as his primary coaching style. therefore, not british.

Moreover, what are you trying to say about daso? since he's canadian there is no way he is a good coach, therefore we shouldn't have hired him? yeaa ... that makes sense ... lets not try to produce canadian coaches. what was the FO thinking in trying to make canadians good coaches, they are from canada, they clearly dont have the mental capacity to understand football tactics, man management, or any other qualities top coaches have. :facepalm:

this whole 'we are fucked cause our coaches are british' idea is pretty insane. ethnicity has, and shouldn't have, any bearing at all on any of these debates. some countries produce better players, coaches, etc than others because they are better funded and/or take football as seriously as we as canadians take hockey. TFC shouldn't be trying to pick up coaches and players from 'whatever country you're from', they should be trying to produce players and coaches from within. not only will this help TFC as a club, but also put canadian players on the map as the next big footballing nation.

+1:scarf:

TFC07
09-15-2009, 02:49 PM

Great job of taking my comment outta context. :facepalm:

What is point of developing a Canadian coach under CC who has no history of coaching a men's pro team?

You only bring in an inexperience coach in your staff when rest of staff has some kind of experience of coaching a pro team.

BTW, if we want a good Canadian coach, how about hiring Limniatis? If Hart is available, then try to hire him.

EDIT: So I guess CC and other Brits had non-british experience before joining TFC, right?:rolleyes:

InTheCrowd
09-15-2009, 04:37 PM
None of the coaches we get are the best for the job!

We only bring in so many UK staff because of our ties to the UK. And we should care where they're from, different places in the world have different mentalities.

Beach_Red
09-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Canada is ROUTINELY listed as one of the top 3 countries to live in the world...many times it's been #1....obviously you haven't been keeping up on things...Toronto is the MOST MULTICULTURAL CITY IN THE WORLD...but hey if ya don't like it move to Nebraska...

I wasn't actually serious. I write books set in Toronto. It took me years to get them published because agents wouldn't take me on because I refused to change the setting to an American city. Now I have an American publisher and the books are still set in Toronto. I love this city.

But come on, sometime in your life you must have heard someone complain that Canada isn't nearly as good as where they came from.

v00d00daddy
09-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Maybe because Winsper is recognized as one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in the business? "No good reason for it?" Looking at our injury record in the first 2 seasons vs. season 3 how can you honestly say that there is no good reason for it. Winsper has keep our squad fit and virtually injury free. We no longer fall over and die after the 65th minute and actually go on to score goals. Give your head a shake.

Best in the business according to who? I'm sure there are dozens..if not hundreds of guys just like him. TFC just happened to pick one from England...what a surprise.

I'm not taking anything away from Winsper...he's done a great job. The merits of Winspers were not my point. My point is that it's not a coincidence that he's from England...it's the way TFC does business and it iritates me.

Seriously...the equipment manager is from England too. The equipment manager! It's ridiculous.

v00d00daddy
09-15-2009, 08:23 PM

Who said we're fucked cause our coaches are British? There is nothing wrong with having a British coach. Or a British trainer. Or a British equipment manager.

There IS something wrong with having ALL British coaches.

I totally agree with your last point. TFC should be a vehicle for Canadian coaches and players to get better at their trades so that Canada can become a great footballing nation.

I just don't see why all of our young Canadian players and new coaches (Daso, Bent etc) have to be taught by strictly British footballing minds.

How is this going to breed success? Explain that to me.

For God's sake...we have a young Argentinian kid who speaks little english in Vitti and an MLS veteran in Guevara who doesn't speak a ton of english and what has our team done to make things a bit easier for them? Would it kill TFC to employ a person who speaks their language?

Is it really hard to find a qualified, spanish (and english of course) speaking equipment manager or strength and conditioning trainer?

That's why this Academy GK coach thing bugs me.

It's the same old mentality in this country with soccer.

People think Canadians are lost and that they can't teach the game, and the only people that can teach them are Brits, and that's just not true.

Why can't TFC break the mold of the Canadian soccer mentality and truly become as International and multicultural as Toronto claims to be.

It will only help the team.