PDA

View Full Version : Is Carver being nfair by trying to be so fair?

ua-kozak_TFC
06-08-2008, 08:31 PM
DOn;t get me wrong thus far the guy has been amazing... but i don;t like this oohh you play you stay crap blah blah... YES i think those who have a good game should stay ... but I think it;s WRONG to take a away a spot from players who were away due to injury national call up that is n ot their performance at TFC... I think he was play DUMB by even considering Edwards... there was one hot on goal the guy kept a clean sheet, i could ahve done that, same goes for the rest of the team the fact of the matter is that TFC was playing an LA "B squad" . I think DIchio should ahve started with cunny and same with marshal. ANd robert what ta heck is HE DOING on the bench...!!!! he;s our best player i think Carver is plain stupid buy trying to be so "FAIR".

PS: title: *UNFAIR*

Jack
06-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Dichio is injured.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-08-2008, 08:50 PM
No clue what he is doing this game but i dont like it.
Everything until now has made sense.
I get the idea it may have been experimenting but he needs to not do that.

BeachRed
06-08-2008, 10:04 PM
... but I think it;s WRONG to take a away a spot from players who were away due to injury national call up that is n ot their performance at TFC...

This is the first sport I've ever heard of where players can lose starting positions because of injury (and the only sport where international call-ups happen during the season). That policy will likely make it impossible to sign top-level players.

yanggoh
06-08-2008, 10:28 PM
It just seemed like Carver's philosophy of "always playing his strongest team" sort of went out the window and is completely contradicted in his other stigma of "letting players keep their shirt if they succeed", at least when the game in which the bench players succeed is a game against the paltry Becks and Landycakes-less Galaxy.

Danbwoy
06-09-2008, 12:21 AM
I don't care what he says - Kevin Harmse didn't play well enough to stay in last week... especially over Robert. Wtf was that?

egoodwin
06-09-2008, 12:22 AM
i don't care about fairness... if winning means being unfair so be it, I'd rather have a championship, than a team that is 100% fair to it's players

Fiin
06-09-2008, 04:57 AM
Yep... fairness is starting the best 11 people you have. Cant crack into that spot? Work your ass off at practice then and make him think you belong there.

Batman
06-09-2008, 06:07 AM
I agree his philosphy is a problem here.

With all the international call ups on our team this year, this plan means we dont lose a player for one game, we lose him for 2 if our team happens to pull off a win while the guy is away.

An example last night was Robert. He made a difference IMMEDIATELY as he came in. Why only the second half?

While I realize Carver is trying to keep the 2nd tier players motivated, I think he has to use another system. Using no judgement, and only his "plan" to pick the starters puts our team at a disadvantage. And this year, with all the international duty, we'll already be at a disadvantage many nights anyway.

yanggoh
06-09-2008, 07:14 AM
I agree his philosphy is a problem here.

With all the international call ups on our team this year, this plan means we dont lose a player for one game, we lose him for 2 if our team happens to pull off a win while the guy is away.

An example last night was Robert. He made a difference IMMEDIATELY as he came in. Why only the second half?

While I realize Carver is trying to keep the 2nd tier players motivated, I think he has to use another system. Using no judgement, and only his "plan" to pick the starters puts our team at a disadvantage. And this year, with all the international duty, we'll already be at a disadvantage many nights anyway.

Definitely. Carver needs to realize that its great to give the guys on the bench chances, but they also need to understand that they are role players, because this system will simply frustrate and annoy the quality players and stifle the confidence of young developing players like Julius James when they are thrown out into games against great teams with no real chance at winning.

rocker
06-09-2008, 07:23 AM
in theory I like his idea.. because it promotes competition and rewards those who compete. But this is MLS, and teams are not deep enough to be benching starters out of principle. If TFC had million dollar subs, then the benching of a starter wouldn't matter. But this team doesn't have that luxury. You play a guy like Robert from the starting whistle. I think the fact Robert came on for the second half shows that Carver realized he just couldn't stick to the rule very long.

ensco
06-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Why is Carver ever playing Dunivant on the wing when Brennan is on the field at LB?

Last night Brennan, a natural MF, should have been moved up, and Duni, a natural LB, moved back.

This has happened three or four times this year - it's nuts.

Arrgghhh

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Why is Carver ever playing Dunivant on the wing when Brennan is on the field at LB?

Last night Brennan, a natural MF, should have been moved up, and Duni, a natural LB, moved back.

Arrgghhh

I do believe Brennan said to Mo that he preferred playing LB instead of LM. Whether things have changed or not, I don't know. Are you going to tell your captain that you think he shouldn't be playing in the position that he wants to play?

ACSertL
06-09-2008, 07:42 AM

Arrgghhh

The real question should have been why is Dunivant starting over Robert? Unless there is an injury I can't understand that move.

Limani_Ole
06-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Carver's made some strange decisions in this game.. How he picked this line up is a mystery..

so he is stuck between the "play the best eleven" and "dont break a winning team" philosophy.. but a team that beats LA when they are without Donovan and Beckham is no real accomplishment..

So why leave Robert and Marshall out to begin with?
Robert was out best player with Guavera missing.. and Marshall was benched because he played for his country? hmmm.. Sutton almost got the bench too..

Then you take out Ricketts who was having a good game to and leave Smith in who wasn't able to get a decent cross in all game..
Velez gets pulled probably because of the late goal in the first half.. which is confusing since we all know his made worst mistakes than this and been left on for the whole game.. what does this mean for Velez? either way what little confidence he has built is back to zero..

Pachuco
06-09-2008, 09:00 AM
I couldn't agree more with all of you. Carver's decisions were a little strange last night. Having said that, We still have a winning record and we are still in a playoff spot. So in Carver I trust.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-09-2008, 09:29 AM
I couldn't agree more with all of you. Carver's decisions were a little strange last night. Having said that, We still have a winning record and we are still in a playoff spot. So in Carver I trust.

Agreed, i think we will see this is a one off and that things will be back to normal nextweek/ the rest of the season

Jack
06-09-2008, 10:47 AM
It was one game. Fucking relax.

Before this, Carver hasn't put a foot wrong. When brought in, Marshall was utter shite, so I don't know what the benefit would have been of having him from the start. Dichio could hardly move out there due to his injury. The only thing I would have done is put Robert in ahead of Dunny, and that could well be a discipline issue due to the red card and Carver wanting Laurent to know he'd better keep in line.

shwade
06-09-2008, 11:05 AM
It was one game. Fucking relax.

Before this, Carver hasn't put a foot wrong. When brought in, Marshall was utter shite, so I don't know what the benefit would have been of having him from the start. Dichio could hardly move out there due to his injury. The only thing I would have done is put Robert in ahead of Dunny, and that could well be a discipline issue due to the red card and Carver wanting Laurent to know he'd better keep in line.

Dichio still made an immediate impact when he came in..obviously he couldn't play from the get-go though.
Leaving Robert on the bench was the dumbest move I've ever seen...Dunivant didn't even have a great game against the Galaxy, taking Ricketts out was also strange as was starting Harmse.

Jack
06-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Well, Harmse is the backup DM. Who would you have started in place of him? Our midfield needs the two-DM setup...

That said, Harmse was pretty shit yesterday, though pretty much everyone was.

ua-kozak_TFC
06-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Carver just kept the squad that won last game.. but if you think about it they didn;t play that good... yes they won 2-0 played good defending but upfront they werenl;t that clear. I think it;s a good idea to start a sub but only if he complete kills it at a game... and not just because we won... Because winning can be sometimes about luck and one goal change it all... Any way i hope carver wisens up..

Buty you'll see he;ll keep cunny on for the next game because he scored... i think that;s the dumbest move ever Dichio should start... I think nthat is being unfair to dichio if you ask me because he was scoring before he ahd the groin strain and just because of an injury he shouldn;t loose his spot specially to cunny. Who's got NO Soccer smarts..

Ossington Mental Youth
06-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Carver just kept the squad that won last game.. but if you think about it they didn;t play that good... yes they won 2-0 played good defending but upfront they werenl;t that clear. I think it;s a good idea to start a sub but only if he complete kills it at a game... and not just because we won... Because winning can be sometimes about luck and one goal change it all... Any way i hope carver wisens up..

Buty you'll see he;ll keep cunny on for the next game because he scored... i think that;s the dumbest move ever Dichio should start... I think nthat is being unfair to dichio if you ask me because he was scoring before he ahd the groin strain and just because of an injury he shouldn;t loose his spot specially to cunny. Who's got NO Soccer smarts..

Yep on all of this.
Perhaps he was even trying to prove a point (could be, i doubt it) simply to the team that won against LA to let them know that they still have alot of work to do. Regardless i hope that we dont see it again (i doubt we will).