PDA

View Full Version : MLS coaching landscape sure to change in offseason

tfcmanu
09-14-2009, 09:32 AM
The MLS playoff stretch is when players establish themselves as clutch performers and coaches can either impress or disappoint with their ability or inability to navigate through a stretch of make-or-break games. As we head ever closer to the end of the MLS regular season, several coaches are fighting for their futures...Cont'd

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=675304&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901

Chris Cummins -- Since replacing John Carver earlier this season, Cummins has had his ups and downs in charge of Toronto FC. The Canadian club remains woefully inconsistent, and its dreadful performance in the CONCACAF Champions League didn't do him any favors. Ultimately, though, he did lead TFC to the Canadian Cup title, and now can hold on to the job if he can guide Toronto FC to its first playoff appearance in team history.

DangerRed
09-14-2009, 09:33 AM
You don't say...:rolleyes:

Stryker
09-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Ultimately, though, he (Cummins) did lead TFC to the Canadian Cup title
More like DeRo took the team on his back and dragged Cummins to a Canadian Cup title.

kshep
09-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Don't forget the Chad, his goal actually won us the damn thing!

Shakes McQueen
09-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Cummins deserves no particular credit for winning the NCC - that win was 90% Dwayne De Rosario.

Even if we limp into the playoffs, I think it will be in spite of Cummins' management this season, and not because of it.

- Scott

flambe
09-14-2009, 11:27 PM
If Cummins stays on as head coach, TFC will severley suffer because of it.

We were gifted the NCC by a team that didn't care, and to be honest didn't deserve the win.

Cummins needs to go, period.

Hitcho
09-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Yeah I just cannot see how CC will hold on to his job from here. Even if we now somehow make the play offs, it won't exactly be through a sequence of convincing performances, will it? Play offs and CCL were the MINIMUM expectations for the season, not a qualified success if we nose dive badly in the CCL qualifier and scrape into the post season by the skin of another team's teeth.

The team just doesn't look convincing or assured under Cummins in any way. And we have too good of a squad now not to at least put out a steady if unspectacular side. if Cummins cannot get su going in high gear in the final five games with JDG in tow, then he's surely toast.

Should have played Dichio more. :D

EDIT: here's what I mean by too good of a squad to not be at least solid and steady:

Frei
Edwards

Wynne
Nana
Serioux
Garcia
Gomez
Brennan/Fellinga

JDG
Guevara
De Ro
Robbo
Vitti
Brennan/Fellinga
Cronin
Sanyang

Gerba
Barrett
White

There's no way we should be struggling to put in a decent performance with that squad, even if you swap JDG with DD to reflect the position until this week. I'm not saying we should be storming to the MLS Cup, but any decent coach should be able to get some pretty solid performances out of that squad. granted we're a bit centre-heavy in midfield and could do with another striker now Danny has retired, but that's still a pretty good squad, not a basement trawling roster like we had in season one.

jabbronies
09-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Robert Warzycha inherited Sigi Schmids team and almost fucked it up at the start of the season. I'm sure the players had to set him straight and get thier old system back in place, that's why they turned their season around. He's over-rated IMO.

CoachGT
09-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Interesting to note that according to this article, Steve Nicol has two years left on his current contract. Much of the discussion on this board has been about how his contract expires at the end of this season, or that New England have indicated that they desire a change.

Hitcho
09-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Interesting to note that according to this article, Steve Nicol has two years left on his current contract. Much of the discussion on this board has been about how his contract expires at the end of this season, or that New England have indicated that they desire a change.

Bummer. I was really hoping we'd get Nicol in the off season. Grass, JDG, Nicol, north stand - what a winter that would be!

Cashcleaner
09-15-2009, 02:59 PM
I don't want to throw Cummins under the bus, but let's consider some points here:

We've brought in Julian de Guzman as a Designated Player. One of Canada's greatest midfielders will now be starting for Toronto FC.

We've got Dwayne de Rosario on the roster. Again, one of Canada's top players and an MLS all-star and two-time MLS Cup MVP.

Stefan Frei is our keeper. Despite our recent run of bad luck, he's still in the running for Rookie of the Year and his skill is improving daily. Could easily become one of the league's top keepers in a few years.

Throw in others like Cronin and Serioux, and you'll see just how powerful this roster can be.

Now the point of what I'm saying, is that it just doesn't seem logical to have all these talented and highly-skilled players coached by a guy with no prior experience as a head gaffer for a senior team. Cummins is interim coach for a reason, and I think that unless we completely turn things around over the next few weeks, he won't be in that position next season.

I mean no disrespect when I say all that, but it's just how it is. Cummins had the job thrust into his lap and I think he's just not prepared for the role at the moment.