PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Monday , Sept.14

denime
09-14-2009, 05:36 AM
Mornin'

Canadian content shines at BMO Field (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090913&content_id=6934938&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Johnston's buy-Canadian plan is in full swing (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/09/14/10884411-sun.html)

Turning his back (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2009/09/13/dobson_canada_bosnia/)

De Guzman, grass signify TFC's high expectations (http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticleHomePage&art_aid=34155)

Doubts plague signing (http://www.metronews.ca/ottawa/comment/article/309942--doubts-plague-signing)

http://i26.tinypic.com/3304oqc.jpg

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

ForestGlade
09-14-2009, 06:17 AM
Morning

keem-o-sabi
09-14-2009, 06:18 AM
good morning D,

Coeds 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/miss-coed/) y 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/)

Workie
09-14-2009, 07:00 AM
Morning D!

scooter
09-14-2009, 07:04 AM
mornin d

flatpicker
09-14-2009, 07:16 AM
depressing to start the day learning Canada has lost another potential player to some other country.

and for Bosnia?!...

honestly... this needs to stop!

pekduck
09-14-2009, 07:16 AM
depressing to start the day learning Canada has lost another potential player to some other country.

eradicate existing csa, start new one...

then we can talk about stop the talent leak

Oldtimer
09-14-2009, 07:25 AM
Movie Revue for the TIFF:

The Damned United

You don't have to be a soccer fan to groove on The Damned United.

Director Tom Hooper's lively, somewhat fictionalized portrait of legendary manager Brian Clough's 44-day mismanagement of Leeds United in 1974 is visually engaging, sharply written and occasionally downright hilarious.

Full review: http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/entertainment/article/309928--tiff-film-review-the-damned-united

The film is at 9:30 PM at Roy Thomson Hall and tickets can be bought through the link.

Oldtimer
09-14-2009, 07:27 AM
So, if TFC is buying up a lot of the Canadian talent, Vancouver's Academy will prove very important for them in meeting their Canadian talent requirements for MLS.

flatpicker
09-14-2009, 07:28 AM
^ I gotta think the Canadian content rule will be adjusted as more Canadian teams arrive in MLS.

It would be silly otherwise.

MartinUtd
09-14-2009, 07:29 AM
Raycroft's article sucked.

CenturySam
09-14-2009, 07:33 AM

and for Bosnia?!...

I don't know, I tend to lean the other way on this. I mean, I get all the points Dobson makes about the time and effort put in to his childhood sport and lifestyle here in Canada, but he is till not 'Canadian' he's Bosnian. If his family never had to flee, he would have been raised in Bosnia, albeit he may have never reached the point he has now, but it doesn't erase the fact that he has 'Bosnian Blood' in his veins. (just a figure of speech)

It's just like the Portuguese National Squad, Deco, Pepe, Liedson, and others....all Brazilian Born Portuguese footballers....it just isn't right in my mind for some reason?!?

Lucky Strike
09-14-2009, 07:41 AM
So, if TFC is buying up a lot of the Canadian talent, Vancouver's Academy will prove very important for them in meeting their Canadian talent requirements for MLS.

Undoubtedly, and though Vancouver will be a fierce rival, that'll be very important for them to get up and running. I'd prefer them to be competitive rather than not.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-14-2009, 07:47 AM

Full review: http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/entertainment/article/309928--tiff-film-review-the-damned-united

The film is at 9:30 PM at Roy Thomson Hall and tickets can be bought through the link.
I've heard this movie is good, but not if you're a Leeds United fan or a Clough fanboy... lol

I've been curious to see it and actually would probably go if I weren't stuck inside with the flu. :facepalm:

flatpicker
09-14-2009, 07:51 AM
^ I want to see that film, but I'll be at the Hugh Hefner movie tonight instead (a decent alternative I think)

Oldtimer
09-14-2009, 07:57 AM
I've heard this movie is good, but not if you're a Leeds United fan or a Clough fanboy... lol

I've been curious to see it and actually would probably go if I weren't stuck inside with the flu. :facepalm:

Hope you recover soon. Having the flu is awful, even when it's mild.

http://www.toledoonthemove.com/uploadedImages/ktvo/News/Stories/swine%20flu.jpg

Steve
09-14-2009, 08:07 AM
I don't know, I tend to lean the other way on this. I mean, I get all the points Dobson makes about the time and effort put in to his childhood sport and lifestyle here in Canada, but he is till not 'Canadian' he's Bosnian. If his family never had to flee, he would have been raised in Bosnia, albeit he may have never reached the point he has now, but it doesn't erase the fact that he has 'Bosnian Blood' in his veins. (just a figure of speech)

It's just like the Portuguese National Squad, Deco, Pepe, Liedson, and others....all Brazilian Born Portuguese footballers....it just isn't right in my mind for some reason?!?

A couple things,

1) There was a series of commercials on during the U-20 world cup featuring Begovic, and how he was proud to play for Canada, and how Bosnia held nothing for him because his family had to flee blah blah blah. Frankly it doesn't sit right for him to now play for Bosnia.

2) There is only one direction this will ultimately go, and that's racial profiling. Think about it, the Canadian Soccer Association has limited funds to invest in good players. If you have two people who are almost at the same level, and can only develop one of them, what are you going to do? You're going to ask them where they're from, where their parents are from, and essentially, preferentially pick true blooded Canadians, because you know they're not going to go running back to some other country. That would suck, sure, but players like this now are wasting tax dollars in development only to play for someone else. It's kind of a kick in the nuts. I understand the DeGuzman situation better than this, since the CSA had little/nothing to do with his development.

Pigfynn
09-14-2009, 09:06 AM
^They should be made to declare earlier. No declaration of intent to play for
Canada = NO DEVELOPMENT $$$ or TIME.

Make them sign and if they're under age make their parents sign.

Roogsy
09-14-2009, 09:18 AM
That does piss me off.

I was kind of rooting for Bosnia to make it in, you know, underdogs and all that.

Now I hope they miss it and he never seens World Cup or Euro action ever in his career.

Shove it Begovic.

Lucky Strike
09-14-2009, 09:22 AM
A couple things,

1) There was a series of commercials on during the U-20 world cup featuring Begovic, and how he was proud to play for Canada, and how Bosnia held nothing for him because his family had to flee blah blah blah. Frankly it doesn't sit right for him to now play for Bosnia.

2) There is only one direction this will ultimately go, and that's racial profiling. Think about it, the Canadian Soccer Association has limited funds to invest in good players. If you have two people who are almost at the same level, and can only develop one of them, what are you going to do? You're going to ask them where they're from, where their parents are from, and essentially, preferentially pick true blooded Canadians, because you know they're not going to go running back to some other country. That would suck, sure, but players like this now are wasting tax dollars in development only to play for someone else. It's kind of a kick in the nuts. I understand the DeGuzman situation better than this, since the CSA had little/nothing to do with his development.

Bang on. Couldn't agree more.

CretanBull
09-14-2009, 09:36 AM
The Begovic signing sucks, not only because we lost a player (yet again) but because we invested so much into him. I'm not in the habbit of defending the CSA, but they did everything for him even though he constantly refused to be capped for us....Bosnia did nothing for him and he jumped ship at the first opportunity.

DangerRed
09-14-2009, 09:40 AM
What's with that Metro story? "Doubts plague signing?" More like the author thinks it's bad for national-team soccer. The headline makes it sound like someone is unsure that signing JDG is a good idea. HUH?

CretanBull
09-14-2009, 09:41 AM

I was able to put my own thoughts and feelings aside and just enjoy the movie for what it is...and it's a very good movie. Very well written (just keep in mind that it's a fictionalization of real events, not a direct representation of real events) and great acting. Michael Sheen will win a BAFTA for sure and he'd be up for an Oscar if anyone in America new who Brian Clough was....

DOMIN8R
09-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Let's hope that Landycakes gets suspended for the slap he gave to a FC Dallas player yesterday and ends up suspended for our game in L.A. this weekend.

Exclusive: Alleged Donovan Slap Could Hurt Galaxy

The league could review the post-game incident at the Dallas-Los Angeles match.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2009/09/13/1498647/exclusive-alleged-donovan-slap-could-hurt-galaxy

Stryker
09-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Rycroft once again out in left field.

...players begin to regularly seek out MLS with its larger paycheques and lower level of play

Hahahaha.. absolutely laughable. De Guzman is the exception Rycroft not the rule.
If you don't recognize that you're even more lost than I had thought.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-14-2009, 10:00 AM
Hope you recover soon. Having the flu is awful, even when it's mild.
Thanks... also a drag cause it means I have to miss another day of school, which is not good.

greatwhitenorf
09-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Seeing as how Owen Hargreaves and Begovic were raised in the same region of Canada but defected to play elsewhere, there's only one thing left to do:

BLAME ALBERTA!

DOMIN8R
09-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Pause for the cause

Kudos to the Red Patch Boys. The TFC supporters club raised $5,000 at their Terry Fox head-shave charity event on Saturday, bringing their three-year total to $40,000.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/TorontoFC/2009/09/14/10889726-sun.html

mmmikey
09-14-2009, 10:46 AM
some blame should go to FIFA for allowing players to flip flop.

Lucky Strike
09-14-2009, 10:53 AM
What's with that Metro story? "Doubts plague signing?" More like the author thinks it's bad for national-team soccer. The headline makes it sound like someone is unsure that signing JDG is a good idea. HUH?

Though I'm not sure if I'm really justified in saying it, it really rubs me the wrong way when CMNT supporters are whining and complaining that JDG signing with TFC is bad for Canadian football (I'm leaving out Montreal and Vancouver for the sake of simplicity). The sport in Canada needs all the help it can get and it seems to me like the CMNT + TFC = Canadian football. And it's not like JDG is suddenly going to become a garbage players because he's in the MLS.

And suppose the JDG to TFC haters are right in that JDG won't be quite as good because he's not playing against top players, they're still being pretty shortsighted, aren't they? By having TFC, a local and well known team in Canada become the choice destination for high profile Canadians, that's only going to grow the game from the grassroots. Kids can have something to look up to and say: "one day, that's going to be me". It'll encourage them to get into the sport.

CMNT and TFC supporters are in the same boat and it irks me when CMNT-only supporters take this stance about the JDG deal.

Does this make sense to you or am I just being overly touchy about this?

ensco
09-14-2009, 10:56 AM
^There is an issue because MLS ignores the international calendar. That is a big problem.

But I agree with the comments above about the competitive argument, which seems to be the other main problem that some Voyageurs have. If USA can grow players in MLS, then so can we. Nana is Exhibit A.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-14-2009, 11:00 AM
One more reason Alberta sucks.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-14-2009, 11:29 AM
That does piss me off.

I was kind of rooting for Bosnia to make it in, you know, underdogs and all that.

Now I hope they miss it and he never seens World Cup or Euro action ever in his career.

Shove it Begovic.

I'm pissed off as well, not so much for Begovic opting to represent another country but for another player blatantly lying about his intentions. Here's a quote from an interview between Full-Time and Begovic from July:

“I’ve played for Canada for a long time. There’s no decision, I don’t want to switch… but there is a state of uncertainty with Canada soccer (next coach, etc). Get things in place and I’m happy to stay with Canada, that’s where I see my future… I’ve been approached by Bosnia. There were talks… but I have no intention on playing for Bosnia.”

More quotes from the interview can be found here (http://fulltimefootballshow.blogspot.com/2009/07/begovic-i-dont-want-to-switch.html). For a guy who had no intention of switching sides or keeping the CSA in the dark, he sure managed to accomplish both feats. I don't like it when players opt to play for another country other than Canada, but at least I can stomach their decisions if they are honest about their intentions. Begovic didn't have the balls to tell us the truth; he is a bold-faced liar, and I have lost all respect for him.

flatpicker
09-14-2009, 11:33 AM
^ that quote is disappointing to say the least!

denime
09-14-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm pissed off as well, not so much for Begovic opting to represent another country but for another player blatantly lying about his intentions. Here's a quote from an interview between Full-Time and Begovic from July:

“I’ve played for Canada for a long time. There’s no decision, I don’t want to switch… but there is a state of uncertainty with Canada soccer (next coach, etc). Get things in place and I’m happy to stay with Canada, that’s where I see my future… I’ve been approached by Bosnia. There were talks… but I have no intention on playing for Bosnia.”

More quotes from the interview can be found here (http://fulltimefootballshow.blogspot.com/2009/07/begovic-i-dont-want-to-switch.html). For a guy who had no intention of switching sides or keeping the CSA in the dark, he sure managed to accomplish both feats. I don't like it when players opt to play for another country other than Canada, but at least I can stomach their decisions if they are honest about their intentions. Begovic didn't have the balls to tell us the truth; he is a bold-faced liar, and I have lost all respect for him.

Well we did not get shit in place so no wonder he is gone.

Begovic lived in Canada 4 years all together,his father was a professional goalie,his development was in Germany where he lived form the age of 5-13.

Considering that soccer development in Canada is financed by parents,to say CSA invested $$$ in his development is a joke.

Bosnian FA wanted him more than CSA and they made whatever was needed to get him back,so who's to blame?

Stryker
09-14-2009, 11:56 AM
I have to agree with Denime. I don't think the CSA's likely investment of a pair of keepers gloves and a box of Wheaties warrants much expectation that he should play for us.

DOMIN8R
09-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Three miss training Monday: Guevara, Robinson and Serioux all recovering from injury

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090914&content_id=6956824&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Toronto Ruffrider
09-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Well we did not get shit in place so no wonder he is gone.

Begovic lived in Canada 4 years all together,his father was a professional goalie,his development was in Germany where he lived form the age of 5-13.

Considering that soccer development in Canada is financed by parents,to say CSA invested $$$ in his development is a joke.

Bosnian FA wanted him more than CSA and they made whatever was needed to get him back,so who's to blame?

Begovic got funding from Sport Canada, which is a bit different from the CSA. That funding stream is federally-based, so this is not the piddly little scraps we're accustomed to talking about from the CSA.

Funding aside, the problems of the CSA are not an excuse to lie to soccer fans in this country. The above quote says quite clearly that he has no intention of playing for Bosnia. Players who have no intention of representing certain teams do not suit up for them, as he did last week.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-14-2009, 12:04 PM
I have to agree with Denime. I don't think the CSA's likely investment of a pair of keepers gloves and a box of Wheaties warrants much expectation that he should play for us.

But do you not expect any honesty from the player? If Begovic wanted to switch to the Bosnian national team, he should have been clear from the get go. To suggest otherwise shows a complete lack of respect for Canadian fans.

jabbronies
09-14-2009, 12:07 PM

Ya I'd like to know exactly what the CSA did for thsis guy aside from allow him to play on their U-teams. It'd be interesting to hear what they actually do for their players. From what i hear, they don't give much to the senior mens teams.

He is a looser for those quotes though. he shouldn't have said what he said if he didn't mean it. Seems as though he decision making is swayed pretty easily.

Stryker
09-14-2009, 12:11 PM
But do you not expect any honesty from the player? If Begovic wanted to switch to the Bosnian national team, he should have been clear from the get go. To suggest otherwise shows a complete lack of respect for Canadian fans.
I expect nothing from a professional athlete except effort and a little humility when dealing with young fans.
In a world of agents and bidding wars keeping your true intentions and/or desires to ones self often results in more offers and bigger pay checks.
I don't like it, but its the way it is.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-14-2009, 12:21 PM
I expect nothing from a professional athlete except effort and a little humility when dealing with young fans.
In a world of agents and bidding wars keeping your true intentions and/or desires to ones self often results in more offers and bigger pay checks.
I don't like it, but its the way it is.

I guess I'm old fashioned then. However, if Begovic really wanted to keep his desires to himself, all he had to do was not do that interview with Full-Time. He could've kept his mouth shut on the topic, rather than blatantly misleading the Canadian public.

Lucky Strike
09-14-2009, 12:23 PM
I guess I'm old fashioned then. However, if Begovic really wanted to keep his desires to himself, all he had to do was not do that interview with Full-Time. He could've kept his mouth shut on the topic, rather than blatantly misleading the Canadian public.

That's not exactly old-fashioned, it's simply the polite and decent thing to do. :D

Miko
09-14-2009, 01:09 PM

Got free tix from work - can't wait!!!!!

DOMIN8R
09-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Julian de Guzman cleared to make debut

http://www.mlsnet.com//news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090914&content_id=6960674&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

lintberg
09-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Looks like Beckham and Landycakes may (hopefully) be out for Saturday's match against TFC?? Fingers crossed.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1213293/David-Beckham-trouble-grabbing-MLS-opponent-neck.html

Roogsy
09-14-2009, 02:59 PM
^ :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Are the football gods finally smiling down upon us?

DOMIN8R
09-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Looks like Beckham and Landycakes may (hopefully) be out for Saturday's match against TFC?? Fingers crossed.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1213293/David-Beckham-trouble-grabbing-MLS-opponent-neck.html

Beckham didn't do anything really wrong. I saw the tape. But Landycakes needs to sit in the corner.

Oldtimer
09-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Who cares about David?

Now on to important news: Victoria Beckham feels accepted:

http://life (http://lifestyle.sg.msn.com/fashion/celebrity/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3583314)style.sg.msn.com/fashion/celebrity/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3583314 (http://lifestyle.sg.msn.com/fashion/celebrity/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3583314)

:puke: (http://lifestyle.sg.msn.com/fashion/celebrity/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3583314)

lintberg
09-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Well...even having one of them suspended would be great!
Here's hoping....LOL!
:D

Beckham didn't do anything really wrong. I saw the tape. But Landycakes needs to sit in the corner.

v00d00daddy
09-14-2009, 04:47 PM

Whaaaaaa?

Begovic's comments in that interview are directed squarely at the CSA...not the Canadian public.

He can't come out and say that the CSA is in shambles and, unless they fix things...like getting a stable, successful head coach, he is outta here.

He would look like a dick if he did that and would be blacklisted by the people who run soccer in this country. (CSA)

Instead he said it somewhat diplomatically. It's easy to say "play for Canada or you're a traitor" but what you don't realize is that these guys aren't playing for Canada, directly. They play for the CSA first....Canada second.

By that I mean this:

-the Canadian public don't put these guys up in hotels...the CSA does
-the Canadian public don't get these guys trainers and coaches...the CSA does
-the Canadian public doesn't schedule their friendlies or book their flights ans so on...the CSA does.

When these players see how the CSA handles all of the above things...it's no wonder that they lose the desire to represent their country.

At the end of the day...if you mistreat players...they tend to look for other options....and when they lie to your face about it...they don't feel bad because they figure they're just giving back for all the lies they've been told.

It's a shitty situation..no doubt...but it's not all Begovic's fault.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Whaaaaaa?

Begovic's comments in that interview are directed squarely at the CSA...not the Canadian public.

He can't come out and say that the CSA is in shambles and, unless they fix things...like getting a stable, successful head coach, he is outta here.

He would look like a dick if he did that and would be blacklisted by the people who run soccer in this country. (CSA)

Instead he said it somewhat diplomatically. It's easy to say "play for Canada or you're a traitor" but what you don't realize is that these guys aren't playing for Canada, directly. They play for the CSA first....Canada second.

By that I mean this:

-the Canadian public don't put these guys up in hotels...the CSA does
-the Canadian public don't get these guys trainers and coaches...the CSA does
-the Canadian public doesn't schedule their friendlies or book their flights ans so on...the CSA does.

When these players see how the CSA handles all of the above things...it's no wonder that they lose the desire to represent their country.

At the end of the day...if you mistreat players...they tend to look for other options....and when they lie to your face about it...they don't feel bad because they figure they're just giving back for all the lies they've been told.

It's a shitty situation..no doubt...but it's not all Begovic's fault.

The statement Begovic made was in response to the question of which nation he would play for. While Begovic took a shot at the CSA, in that same quote he said that he has "no intention on playing for Bosnia." How is that statement not misleading?

While I agree that Begovic would look like a dick if he simply blasted the CSA in the interview, he could've politely said "no comment" to some of the interviewer's questions. By saying he would "never make a decision without speaking to the CSA," he has to be open and upfront with the governing body; otherwise, he looks like a liar.

Finally, while the CSA may be in shambles, I question the extent to which our national governing body affected Begovic's change in allegiances. It's not as though the CSA became a pile of sh*t overnight. The CSA was as crappy in mid July as it is now. How did Begovic make a complete U-turn in such a short time, given that the CSA didn't have enough time to enact any real change?

ensco
09-14-2009, 05:23 PM
This is about more than FIFA's rules, or what he did or didn't say.

Based on his front-and-center participation in the U 20s, which he played every minute for the host nation, Begovic has a moral commitment to Canada.

It is completely different for JDG2, who never did any of that.

v00d00daddy
09-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Finally, while the CSA may be in shambles, I question the extent to which our national governing body affected Begovic's change in allegiances. It's not as though the CSA became a pile of sh*t overnight. The CSA was as crappy in mid July as it is now. How did Begovic make a complete U-turn in such a short time, given that the CSA didn't have enough time to enact any real change?

You're right here. Maybe he thought that things would change and has just recently come to the conclusion that they will never change and decided to go elsewhere.

I don't like his decision but I understand it. If he was walking away from a healthy Canadian National soccer program I would be very upset. I just have a hard time getting upset with players who look at their futures in Intl. soccer and see that it has to go through the current CSA...regardless of what they say or how blatantly they lie.

v00d00daddy
09-14-2009, 05:41 PM
This is about more than FIFA's rules, or what he did or didn't say.

Based on his front-and-center participation in the U 20s, which he played every minute for the host nation, Begovic has a moral commitment to Canada.

It is completely different for JDG2, who never did any of that.

And I'm sure Begovic would argue that the CSA (all that is soccer in this country) has a moral commtment to him and players like him.

It goes both ways.

If the CSA continues to show people that they can't help them achieve their goals (ie: playing meaningful games for your country) they should expect more and more Canadians to use their dual citizenship and jump ship.

It sucks...but they're asking for it.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-14-2009, 05:55 PM
The Canadian public funds the CSA. It's not as if we sell shirts overseas or anything, and we don't get bonus money for winning tournaments or making the World Cup, so basically all the CSA's cash comes from the money they get from taxpayers every year via the government, youth registration, and ticket revenue from home games.

Basically, yes, the Canadian public does do all that.

ensco
09-14-2009, 06:15 PM
And I'm sure Begovic would argue that the CSA (all that is soccer in this country) has a moral commtment to him and players like him.

I don't see that. At all.

First, the CSA and "all that is soccer in this country" are not one and the same.

Second, and more importantly, he made the commitment to "all that is soccer in Canada" by putting on the red shirt in such an important tournament. That commitment is bigger than any disagreement over funding or Dale Mitchell.

He made the commitment, and he broke it.

Roogsy
09-14-2009, 06:23 PM
My biggest problem isn't with players having problems with the CSA...we all know they're a joke.

But playing for Canada is also a commitment to the Canadian people. If he doesn't want to...that's his prerogative. But to say one thing and then do another makes him one thing and one thing only....a douchebag.

Rudi
09-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Beckham didn't do anything really wrong.
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090913/capt.b386c6f8e4794b9eb8b05025f71b1120.aptopix_mls_ fc_dallas_galaxy_soccer_camt107.jpg

DOMIN8R
09-14-2009, 06:50 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090913/capt.b386c6f8e4794b9eb8b05025f71b1120.aptopix_mls_ fc_dallas_galaxy_soccer_camt107.jpg

I felt the same way when I saw this picture, Rudi. But have a look at the footage. It might change your opinion.

v00d00daddy
09-14-2009, 07:11 PM
My biggest problem isn't with players having problems with the CSA...we all know they're a joke.

But playing for Canada is also a commitment to the Canadian people. If he doesn't want to...that's his prerogative. But to say one thing and then do another makes him one thing and one thing only....a douchebag.

Yes..he's a douchebag for lying..but not for choosing not to play for Canada.

That's the difference.

The Canadian people are part of the reason people like Begovic don't want to play for Canada. The Canadian people sit back and are content with the CSA. They may show displeasure for the higher ups at the CSA but that means nothing.

Parents in this country are still enrolling their kids in the bullshit clubs that I played for 15 years ago. Those clubs are still run by the same bullshit people who ran them 15 years ago and they're still the ones in real control of the CSA. It's all a sham and it needs to change.

Maybe it'll take more Canadian born players to choose to play for other countries for it to change.

Again...it sucks but it has been this way since long before we were around.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Yep. IMO one of the biggest problems is that the CSA is basically run by the provincial associations. As long as their expensive rep programs get the funding they need and everything keeps ticking over like it always has, they're content. The national team isn't a priority.

Roogsy
09-14-2009, 07:22 PM
I just wish ONE player would come out and clearly say "I am not playing for Canada because the CSA is ruining soccer in Canada. I love Canada but I cannot play when there is such incompetence running things" and then go off an play in Portugal AT LEAST having done something good for us in the way of giving the CSA another black eye.

These guys that take the cowardly way out can kiss my ass.

v00d00daddy
09-14-2009, 07:31 PM
I just wish ONE player would come out and clearly say "I am not playing for Canada because the CSA is ruining soccer in Canada. I love Canada but I cannot play when there is such incompetence running things" and then go off an play in Portugal AT LEAST having done something good for us in the way of giving the CSA another black eye.

These guys that take the cowardly way out can kiss my ass.

I agree but it's not just the CSA. The CSA is just the entity that we can point the finger at.

The problem is the old boys club that is soccer in Canada.

They're the reason players leave.

I know it would be nice for players to come out and say it like you said in your post, but their actions speak louder than words.

The mere fact that a player like Begovic has no problem lying about his intentions just shows how little respect he has for soccer in Canada.

As always..the people that suffer are people like us..the fans.

mmmikey
09-14-2009, 07:37 PM
I don't care what level it's at, but if u pull on a countries shirt, a decision was made that moment that you ARE that nationality. Unless the country splits up, there should be no take backs.

Pigfynn
09-14-2009, 08:31 PM
I don't care what level it's at, but if u pull on a countries shirt, a decision was made that moment that you ARE that nationality. Unless the country splits up, there should be no take backs.

YES.