PDA

View Full Version : An alarming statistic about MLS officiating.

ilikemusic
09-13-2009, 06:53 PM
I've stolen this from a poster on a different board so I really can't 100% vouch for the numbers, but I trust that they did enough to ensure their accuracy.

If theyre lurking here they may demand credit, but otherwise, lets just assume I did all the work. :hump:

2008-2009 English Premier League

• 760 Games Played
• 63 Red Cards
• 20 Teams

2009 MLS

• 362 Games Played
• 66 Red Cards
• 15 teams

Not that we all need to see these numbers to know that MLS officiating sucks, but just thought they were wort pointing out.

:picard:

TFC_Chris
09-13-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm not entirely sure that you can compare those stats fairly. Since in the higher leagues there tend to be more skilled players as opposed to those in the MLS who are not necessarily goons, but can only foul in order to assert themselves on the field.

I would be interested to find out what other leagues are like comparatively.

ilikemusic
09-13-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm not entirely sure that you can compare those stats fairly. Since in the higher leagues there tend to be more skilled players as opposed to those in the MLS who are not necessarily goons, but can only foul in order to assert themselves on the field.

Ya quite possibly.

This person compiled these numbers after the two red cards in the Chivas-Revolution game today for some relatively trivial raising of the arms. The insinuation being that MLS refs arent as capable of managing players and emotions as their Premiership counterparts. Kind of like MLS refs are going by a 'zero tolerance' policy and just tossing players to avoid the problem instead of calmly 'managing the game'.

Brooker

true enough, good point.

Shakes McQueen

I think the numbers are probably due to the factor you mention above, in addition to the OP's point about the officiating being heavy handed, and dumb.

No reason it can't be a bit of both. :)

- Scott

Bender
09-13-2009, 07:14 PM
I think the numbers are probably due to the factor you mention above, in addition to the OP's point about the officiating being heavy handed, and dumb.

No reason it can't be a bit of both. :)

- Scott

That would be my guess as well. Probably a little of column A, a little of column B...

noochie
09-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Are stats really necessary to support the argument of crappy MLS officials :D ?

Sullivan
09-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Keep in mind, MLS contracts their games to the USSF and CSA for officials. And if you think this year is sad - wait for next. Watch which officials get picked for the WC - who goes for the FIFA gigs and leaves the MLS gigs behind.

Baldomero Toledo
He's refereed the most games so far - 16; but keep in mind he is employed full time by the MLS as a game official.

16 matches
69 yellow cards issued
4.31 yellows p/match
8 red cards
0.50 reds p/match

All MLS Referees
175 matches
660 yellow cards issued
3.77 yellows per match
63 reds issued
0.36 reds per match

Canadians:
Petrescu, Silviu (Waterloo)
3 matches
14 yellow cards issued
4.67 yellows p/match
0 reds
0.00 reds p/match

DePiero, Steven (Orillia)
2 matches
8 yellows cards isssued
4.00 yellows p/match
0 red cards
0.00 reds p/match

more info here:
http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1094471&page=6

Antoshka
09-13-2009, 08:43 PM
your numbers are wrong, you did 20 teams times 38 which is the number of games each team has to play, thus double counting certain games. you should have done 10*38 to get 380 games (10 games each round times number of rounds). and thus the numbers arent that far off.

Antoshka
09-13-2009, 09:01 PM
oh but i guess theres like 200 something MLS games...

Blizzard
09-13-2009, 09:21 PM
your numbers are wrong, you did 20 teams times 38 which is the number of games each team has to play, thus double counting certain games. you should have done 10*38 to get 380 games (10 games each round times number of rounds). and thus the numbers arent that far off.

The numbers are wrong for MLS too so the error exists in both sets of stats so while the numbers are wrong, the conclusion is the same.

You can link to MLS ref stats up to Sept 8 here.

http://http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18739551&postcount=57

At that point in time (not including this weekend), there had been 175 matches - 66 reds for 0.38 reds per match or 1 red / 2.64 matches.

If we correct the Premiership numbers, we have 380 matches - 63 reds for 0.17 reds per match or 1 red / 5.89 matches.

So, for what it's worth, MLS has more than double the red cards of the Premiership.

I tend to agree with those that believe that a general lower level of talent will lead to more red cards so it's no surprise MLS has more red cards BUT should it be double?

That's the point to be debated.

B

rocker
09-13-2009, 09:23 PM
whats the level of cards in leagues lesser than the EPL or other big leagues?

Blizzard
09-13-2009, 11:07 PM
whats the level of cards in leagues lesser than the EPL or other big leagues?

Found this cool web site! http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm

It tells us, so far this year in England:

Premiership - 36 games - 1 red

Championship - 60 games - 6 reds

League One - 72 Games - 10 reds

League Two - 72 games - 6 reds

Cashcleaner
09-13-2009, 11:12 PM
^ Cool site. Would be cooler if they had other leagues outside of England, though.

dow117
09-13-2009, 11:20 PM
2 MLS games tonite and 3 more red cards !!!!. ... ridiculous. The officiating is determining game outcomes at an alarming rate.
The TFC - Colorado game became chippy near the end because of poor calls by the linesman on the west side... so its not just the main ref, it is officiating in general...

InTheCrowd
09-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Premiership players are under much more pressure. Not to mention let's compare the Premiership referee salaries to MLS referee salaries. If our teams aren't comparable to top tier European teams, how are our referee's?

flatpicker
09-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Premiership players are under much more pressure. Not to mention let's compare the Premiership referee salaries to MLS referee salaries. If our teams aren't comparable to top tier European teams, how are our referee's?

yup.

the skill of our MLS refs is probably on par with the skill level of MLS players.

sad, but true.