PDA

View Full Version : Playoff's

Bloor West FC
09-13-2009, 09:58 AM
So if I am right at this moment we are tied for the last playoff spot tied with Real Salt Lake. Am I right?

I don't really get this playoff rule but from what I understand it's the best two from each conference than the top 4 under them doesn't matter which conference they are from. right?

Which means they better win all the games left.

London
09-13-2009, 10:00 AM
we need at least three wins with a win vs salt lake a must.

might even need 3 wins a draw

TFC FORZA RPB
09-13-2009, 10:06 AM
The parade is back on

olegunnar
09-13-2009, 10:08 AM
So if I am right at this moment we are tied for the last playoff spot tied with Real Salt Lake. Am I right?

I don't really get this playoff rule but from what I understand it's the best two from each conference than the top 4 under them doesn't matter which conference they are from. right?

Which means they better win all the games left.

Sort of
If the season ended right now,RSL would get 8th based on a better goal difference.
We're going to need to win at least 3 more games I think...also I think we're going to win by 2 or more when we win. Or goal differential is worst out of the contenders. How bad would it suck if we missed out on GD??

You're right. It's top two from each conference and the next 4 best. Here's the link that describes the format, and the tie breakers:
http://ww2.mlsnet.com/about/league.jsp?section=regulations&content=playoffs

London
09-13-2009, 10:08 AM
The parade is back on

we are not leaf fans :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Brooker
09-13-2009, 10:13 AM
do what i do and tfc is doing.... don't look at the standings

just like the last couple months people have been speculating about it, you won't definitive answer right now, so why bother?

FluSH
09-13-2009, 10:13 AM
single table for MLS

not updated yet for yesterday's results

http://www.settingthetable.info/home.asp

Batman
09-13-2009, 10:42 AM
remember there are 2 teams just behind us by just 1 pt. that have 3 games in hand!
So I wouldnt start celebrating yet.

flatpicker
09-13-2009, 10:50 AM
remember there are 2 teams just behind us by just 1 pt. that have 3 games in hand!

MLS scheduling is silly.

They need to sort that out!

rocker
09-13-2009, 11:12 AM

conversely, 5 of NE's last 8 games are on the road.

also:

we're also only 2 pts behind DC, with a game in hand on DC. DC has more home games, but has lots more games in total cuz of CL. And Fred and Emilio looked pathetic yesterday :)

RSL has 2 home games, 3 away in their final 5. But 1 of the home games is against Colorado, who will be fighting for a spot too and have no probs with altitude.

So it's gonna come right now to the wire..

T_Mizz
09-14-2009, 07:25 AM
According to the MLS website the first tiebreaker is head-to-head record. So teams that we are able to be tied with are: DC United (D-W), RSL (L-if we win the home game), Rapids (L-W), Chivas (W-L), NE (W-D), LA (L-if we win the home game)
So basically we're looking good to move on to the next tiebreaker. We just can't tie with Seattle (L-D)

Oldtimer
09-14-2009, 07:30 AM
If we win 4 out of the next 5, we will be guaranteed a spot. 3 wins, 1 tie, and we're probably in. After that, the odds drop quickly.

jloome
09-14-2009, 11:42 AM
According to the MLS website the first tiebreaker is head-to-head record. So teams that we are able to be tied with are: DC United (D-W), RSL (L-if we win the home game), Rapids (L-W), Chivas (W-L), NE (W-D), LA (L-if we win the home game)
So basically we're looking good to move on to the next tiebreaker. We just can't tie with Seattle (L-D)

....were we to get in.

Right now, we're out. Yesterday's game put Chivas into the last spot.

Kaz
09-14-2009, 11:53 AM
a draw against LA, and wins against SJ, NY, an RSL are basically musts... Ideally 5 wins would be the best chance. but with out at least 9 or 10 more points it isn't looking good. unless several teams going on losing run for the rest of the season.

Plenty of Trout
09-14-2009, 11:54 AM

Good to know, but without getting 4 (maybe 3) out of the possible 6 points in our next 2 road games, I would say we won't be in a tie breaking scenario.

LucaGol
09-14-2009, 12:00 PM
L @ LA
L @ CHI
W v SJ
W v RSL
T @ NY

7 more points = 41 ..... so ... no playoffs