PDA

View Full Version : TFC vs. Rapids - Postgame Thread

TFC USA
09-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Goals from DeRo, OBW, and Attakora were enough to keep our postseason dreams alive.

Good offensive showing, but Garcia HAS to go and Wynne should never be a part of our backline. Ever. They gave up 2 goals that should've never been allowed.

So many defensive lapses with this team. It frustrates me.

Nonetheless in our first game without Dichio on our roster we've got 3 much needed points.

Final score at BMO Field: Toronto FC 3 Colorado Rapids 2

Discuss.

jloome
09-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Now that's more fucking like it. In fact, if Nick Garcia had dropped dead of a heart attack before the game started, it might've been 3-0.

Fuck, that's cruel even for me. But hey, he sucked donkey balls. Let's be honest here.

OB looks like the real deal.

Shakes McQueen
09-12-2009, 04:59 PM
We need a GOOD veteran, with the authority to command our backline. Garcia isn't that player.

Every scoring chance we give up, is caused by two or more guys standing around, waiting for someone else to do something. No one takes command. They don't communicate well with Frei either.

You can see it. It's just a lack of any communication.

- Scott

poppamidnight
09-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Gerba + O.B. White HAVE to be our starting attackers next game

have to...

jloome
09-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Why the hell did DeVos have to retire so early?

Shakes McQueen
09-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Barrett, Gerba, Obie, DeRo - pretty much all of our attacking players looked pretty good today. Obie's goal was indeed a peach.

- Scott

Davenport
09-12-2009, 05:02 PM

have to...
Agreed.
Our defence is PATHETIC.
Garcia........give me strength.....

TFC USA
09-12-2009, 05:02 PM
But Shakes don't you know DeRo is selfish and we should trade him at season's end because he didn't score during our road trip?

Alixir
09-12-2009, 05:03 PM
because he wanted to annoy us all with his non-stop talking!

kodiakTFC
09-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Today proved that DeRo is unbelievable. Kudos to Frei, nana and Barrett who had strong games as well.

Shakes McQueen
09-12-2009, 05:04 PM
But Shakes don't you know DeRo is selfish and we should trade him at season's end because he didn't score during our road trip?

I can't wait for Mighty's insight into this game.

- Scott

twistedchinaman
09-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Good: O'Brian White, you beauty!
Bad: Conor Casey, we let him have space.
Ugly: The defence, what can we say?

Good: Offense firing, three goals after 300 minutes with none.
Bad: No starting striker on the scoresheet, close ain't gonna cut it.
Ugly: Nick LaBrocca. Classless, dude.

twistedchinaman
09-12-2009, 05:07 PM
I can't wait for Mighty's insight into this game.

- Scott

Or Giambac's. :rolleyes:

SanStarko
09-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Garcia didn't do well at the two Rapids goals and I can tell that all the blame is going to land at his feet. But the problems with our defence run a hell of lot deeper than just Garcia.

First goal, what he hell Wynne was thinking was beyond me. He could see the cross coming, could see Casey yet chose to just back off and not even challenge.

Second goal, yeah it was a bizzare attempt at throwing himself at the ball that went completely wrong. But not one other player in our defence made any attempt to get to the ball, everybody just stood around ball watching.

As Shakes said, we desperately need a experienced central defender who knows what he's doing, can control our defence and who the younger guys like Nana and Gomez can learn from.

LesH
09-12-2009, 05:08 PM
TFC game story in 6 words:

Very good attacking :drum:, utter shit defense :facepalm:.

InTheCrowd
09-12-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm happy we won but unhappy how we played. Frei was very poor on both goals against. Not to mention the defenders did a horrible job on the goals against as well. DeRo's first half performances was very poor, however he did play much better in the second half. I'm happy about Gerba and white. We do not need another top class striker. Our defense is very poor and that's what we should focus on right now.

If we want to make it to the playoffs we're going to have to play better. Kudos to the team for accomplashing today's goal but the players always have to make sure they know the importance of every move they make in the back of their heads.

Hugh Jazz
09-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Although Frei made a huge leg save in the second half he seemed caught off for both Colorado goals.

Another great game by Attakora - no celebrating after his goal, just tears of joy.

twistedchinaman
09-12-2009, 05:10 PM
TFC game story in 6 words:

Very good attacking :drum:, utter shit defense :facepalm:.

The story of our lives...:facepalm:

TFC USA
09-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Or Giambac's. :rolleyes:

Haven't seen him in a while.

The worst on either this board or Big Soccer has to be smenge...who was banned for life here.

Hugh Jazz
09-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Colorado didn't show up to play, I think we should have done a lot better.

Stryker
09-12-2009, 05:14 PM
It was plesantly surprising to see Fellinga doing good things with the few touches he had.
O'Brian White will be our leading scorer next year regardless of who else we may bring in. Bank on it.

LucaGol
09-12-2009, 05:14 PM
In summary ...

... very fortunate to get the 3 points ... we looked lifeless for large chunks of the game.

Not cool.

RedsYNWA
09-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Good game the canucks played well

Davenport
09-12-2009, 05:16 PM
For the first time in a while we looked good going forward.

But, once again, EVERY time the opposition went forward they looked likely to score. Why hasn't something been done to sort this out ?
Leagues are won by teams that conceded the fewest goals.
The sooner the coaching staff and Johnston realise that the better.

Lucky Strike
09-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Today's offense was very refreshing. DeRo's goal was very well taken, White's goal was just superb, something that I didn't other TFC strikers couldn't do given a 100 years, and Attakora was straightforward but coming off a set piece, which was nice to see for a change.

The two goals we gave up today were just brutal - they never should have been allowed to happen. Someone else said it, it's like everybody is waiting around for someone else to get the job done.

Further, I don't really want to see Garcia back next year, especially not for 190K. Too slow, not good enough vertically, gets outmuscled too easily. He may be touted as a good communicator but I really didn't see it today. And even if he were, there's too many other things wrong with him. And it's not going to get any better now that he's wearing the #4 shirt.

Wynne is also much more useful in the midfield freed of defensive responsibilities. I've said it before, I've said it today and I'll say it again - and people will probably get sick of me for saying it, but there it is; we know it's true.

Other than that, really happy to get the 3 points today. Now for some scoreboard watching later tonight.

Nuvinho
09-12-2009, 05:19 PM

You know what, during the game, I was thinking the same thing. He would look good on our backline. Any chance Mo convinces him for next year?

TFC USA
09-12-2009, 05:21 PM
DeVos should come out of retirement....'cause he's a shit announcer.

Just realized we got 3 Canadians scoring today. Well done for uh...you guys in Canada! :D

ArmenJBX
09-12-2009, 05:22 PM
For every mistake Garcia made, he made up for it twofold. Yeah he's not the best defender but, as everyone here probably knows, I'm a firm believer that we're better with Garcia.

Don't ask to get rid of players unless we have a suitable replacement. It doesn't make sense to me.

Also, best of luck to Danny Dichio in your coaching career. And also, good luck to De Guzman, we need you more then ever now, as we push for playoffs.

Fuck yeah TFC :D

Lucky Strike
09-12-2009, 05:27 PM
It was plesantly surprising to see Fellinga doing good things with the few touches he had.
O'Brian White will be our leading scorer next year regardless of who else we may bring in. Bank on it.

On these topics, I've been eager to see Fellinga in action. He's got some good pedigree and I've been wanting him to start at LB so we can get Jimmy into the midfield where he's much more effective, particularly by putting in some good crosses. That didn't happen today, but he had some good touches and some good moves.

I knew about the fantastic job White did in college but I was wary of the hype that people seem to put on him, even more so after he scored his first goal. But after today's goal, if this is what he brings to the table, then I'm starting to buy the hype and next season, with a full pre-season with Windie, he should be very exciting. So on this topic, I'm glad to have been wrong. I won't say he'll score 10 goals next year, but it's encouraging to see.

Dub Narcotic
09-12-2009, 05:40 PM
For every mistake Garcia made, he made up for it twofold. Yeah he's not the best defender but, as everyone here probably knows, I'm a firm believer that we're better with Garcia.

Don't ask to get rid of players unless we have a suitable replacement. It doesn't make sense to me.

Also, best of luck to Danny Dichio in your coaching career. And also, good luck to De Guzman, we need you more then ever now, as we push for playoffs.

Fuck yeah TFC :D

Yeah, I thought Garcia did pretty well today too against the best strike force in MLS. That first goal was so obviously Frei's ball that it seemed to confuse Garcia and Wynne when he didn't come. I don't think Garcia is the next coming of Rio Ferdinand or anything, but he won a lot of balls and played some clever offsides. I'd like to see him back next year, if not as a starter.

If we are going to slag somebody, what about Vitti? That guy has been useless for 95% of the games, and was again today.

ArmenJBX
09-12-2009, 05:45 PM
No one needs to take slag today, I thought we played well all across.

Lesly Fellinga didn't mess things up so off to a good start. Vitti had some good runs, a lot of good passing.

Man of the match=Amado Guevara. He was the mastermind behind every play and sent in a beautiful cross for the corner goal.

Good win today. Now, let's keep things up.

Lucky Strike
09-12-2009, 05:56 PM
No one needs to take slag today, I thought we played well all across.

Lesly Fellinga didn't mess things up so off to a good start. Vitti had some good runs, a lot of good passing.

Man of the match=Amado Guevara. He was the mastermind behind every play and sent in a beautiful cross for the corner goal.

Good win today. Now, let's keep things up.

Guevara has been taking a lot of flack lately and people saying he should be gone, but like I said before the game, TFC really should keep him. He ought to get less salary, but he makes vital contributions to the team.

Stryker
09-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Guevara has been taking a lot of flack lately and people saying he should be gone, but like I said before the game, TFC really should keep him. He ought to get less salary, but he makes vital contributions to the team.
Agreed. I like Robo as a person alot but if I have to decide who goes in the crowded midfield... well its just not that hard a choice.

Manutd #1
09-12-2009, 06:01 PM
good game, except a few lapses in defence as usual.....colorado played like last week like shit we just played better this week......next week we need to finally play 2 strikers, this is what i would like to see

nana gomez serioux brennen(or filigna however u spell it)

wynne guevara de guzman dero(can play wing or attacking like usual all over the place)

white gerba

lets let gerba have a striker who can make runs to play off of

Manutd #1
09-12-2009, 06:03 PM

i dont think guevara was man of the match, i agree with the selection of nana as player of the game, but guevara was definatly up there he had a great game

Lucky Strike
09-12-2009, 06:27 PM
i dont think guevara was man of the match, i agree with the selection of nana as player of the game, but guevara was definatly up there he had a great game

Neither do I; I was more interested in making the point about Guevara as a solid player for the team. No to jump on you or anything; just pointing it out for the record.

ArmenJBX
09-12-2009, 06:30 PM
And once again, my respect for Stefan Frei, Sam Cronin and OBW grows. These rookies know how to play! :D

Manutd #1
09-12-2009, 06:31 PM
obw shoulda started he has played good every chance he has got

DoubleUp
09-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Guevera was excellent with the role he played today! the team looked good , very mobile!

Jamaicanadian
09-12-2009, 06:42 PM

I've been thinking the same thing....

Ageroo
09-12-2009, 06:45 PM

have to...

Gerba had some nice touches and redirects...and White's chip was pure class.....When Dichio was here I was saying start Gebra/Dichio...there is no doubt that Gerba/White should be the starting pair up front.

Ageroo
09-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Guevera was excellent with the role he played today! the team looked good , very mobile!

He looked comfortable there as he plays that role when he plays for Honduras..

rocker
09-12-2009, 06:47 PM
guevara -- nice game considering he played in Mexico on Wednesday (90 minutes), and he was with the subs in warmup until Robinson had a flareup with his ankle and couldn't go.

Colorado never really pressured TFC much in the midfield. Seems when our midfielders got the ball, they looked around and were pleasantly surprised to find nobody close to them.

Nana was great on Casey... sadly he wasn't on Casey when Casey scored that easy goal. I still think maybe Frei coulda come out and grabbed it.. it was such a high floating ball.

OW finally did something our strikers never seem to do -- flick a ball over a keeper. I have nightmares of Cuntingham and Barrett having problems with that.

Some better passing today (at times)... trying to go in different directions and confuse Colorado.

It was just so nice to see so many goals!!!

SoccMan
09-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Sorry but I think we are better without Robinson and Serioux, I would not start these two next week, the only new face in the lineup next week should be J.D.

Jamaicanadian
09-12-2009, 06:58 PM
BTW....I forgot to add; OBW is coming along nicely..........WHAT A BLOODCLAWT FINISH...a so BIG balla finish dem half a chance..trust mi!

:scarf:

Belfast_Boy
09-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Good result, we scored and moved the ball well. couple of brain farts, but a few more beers and I'll totally forget about em!
does anyone know where we can get a "wayback machine?" we could use a redo on a few of our shite games.

(http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:0KB-aYU24C_K0M:http://www.blackfriarsinc.com/blog/uploaded_images/wayback.jpg)

InTheCrowd
09-12-2009, 07:07 PM
And once again, my respect for Stefan Frei, Sam Cronin and OBW grows. These rookies know how to play! :D

I'm sorry but Frei had a very bad game today. He is Super Stefan Frei, but he wasn't today.

Dub Narcotic
09-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Why did Casey get booed coming off?

Jamaicanadian
09-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Why did Casey get booed coming off?

Anyone that booed wasn't thinking clearly....I was standing and cheering cause the MLS scoring leader was leaving the match...I for one was ecstatic at that point!

TFCtoMUFC
09-12-2009, 07:13 PM
I cant explain how disgusted I am with the fans that decided to yell things during the moment of silence. I love Dichio as much as the next guy, but whoever yelled needed to show a tad bit of class. Other than that great game always love 3 points.

DoubleUp
09-12-2009, 07:13 PM
In my opinion, Cronin is a bit overhyped

ArmenJBX
09-12-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm sorry but Frei had a very bad game today. He is Super Stefan Frei, but he wasn't today.

Had a couple of amazing saves though, like the one late in where the player broke through and was less then five feet in front of him.

Nuvinho
09-12-2009, 07:16 PM
I cant explain how disgusted I am with the fans that decided to yell things during the moment of silence. I love Dichio as much as the next guy, but whoever yelled needed to show a tad bit of class. Other than that great game always love 3 points.

I agree, I was kinda shocked that people were screaming. Normally other times when there is a moment of silence (Peter Zezel), people respected it

In my opinion, Cronin is a bit overhyped

I don't think we have seen Cronin in his natural position yet. CC makes him play out of position most games.

InTheCrowd
09-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Had a couple of amazing saves though, like the one late in where the player broke through and was less then five feet in front of him.

He did well there yes. But he should've stopped both goals against. Also this save was just luck he just made himself big and the player finished poorly. I like Frei and was worried when he was on the ground hurt because I know he is one of the top keepers in the league and we really need him but today was a poor performance from him in my opinion.

TFCtoMUFC
09-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Also why cant CC start Gerba and OBW up front. Barrett has proven one thing, that he isnt worth putting up there. Forgot to bring my grey long sleeve jersey to get a number on today but come the 10th I will be a proud owner of a Sam Cronin jersey.

InTheCrowd
09-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Also why cant CC start Gerba and OBW up front. Barrett has proven one thing, that he isnt worth putting up there. Forgot to bring my grey long sleeve jersey to get a number on today but come the 10th I will be a proud owner of a Sam Cronin jersey.

I wasn't very impressed when Barrett told the ref to fuck off. He then got his yellow and said I don't give a fuck or something like that.

Redcoe15
09-12-2009, 07:24 PM
I think TFC played well enough to win today. There were moments where I thought Toronto was going to brainfart. Especially in the backfield. Frei made some very strong saves. They could have just as well have lost it today. And yeah, you can stick a fork in Garcia, 'cuz he's done.

I liked that TFC's goals came from Canadians. DeRo, Obie, and Atta. It was great to see Nana score his first goal ever for TFC, given that his reputation is of strong defence. And Obie's goal, HOO BOY, what a beauty that was. I can't believe how he popped that right into the net like that. He is gonna be something special once he's at 100%.

TFCtoMUFC
09-12-2009, 07:27 PM
I wasn't very impressed when Barrett told the ref to fuck off. He then got his yellow and said I don't give a fuck or something like that.

Agree 100 percent, I dont care how much you hate the ref, show some class. And then when he cards you dont smirk and act like you dont care because it doesnt just affect you it affects everyone if you get a red.

Blizzard
09-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Garcia didn't do well at the two Rapids goals and I can tell that all the blame is going to land at his feet. But the problems with our defence run a hell of lot deeper than just Garcia.

First goal, what he hell Wynne was thinking was beyond me. He could see the cross coming, could see Casey yet chose to just back off and not even challenge.

Second goal, yeah it was a bizzare attempt at throwing himself at the ball that went completely wrong. But not one other player in our defence made any attempt to get to the ball, everybody just stood around ball watching.

As Shakes said, we desperately need a experienced central defender who knows what he's doing, can control our defence and who the younger guys like Nana and Gomez can learn from.

First goal. Frei was great tonight but he simply must come out for those. It was in the crease! He has to come out and either punch it away or haul it in. There's no way Casey gets his head to it if Frei comes for it. He's show indecision on plays like that in the past.

Frei is great but is still a rookie and it did show on that goal. He'll learn from that one though.

The crease is your house Stef. That ball is yours!!!

B

Redcoe15
09-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Agreed, 100 percent! I couldn't believe some assclown would yell like that during the moment of silence. He had all the time during the game to contribute to the show of support for Danny D. I guess some idiots crave attention.

C.Ronaldo
09-12-2009, 07:30 PM
all i know is that Barrett, hit the gatorade sign.

And the gatorade sign is ON THE F'n SIDELINES!!!!!!!!

TFCtoMUFC
Agreed, 100 percent! I couldn't believe some assclown would yell like that during the moment of silence. He had all the time during the game to contribute to the show of support for Danny D. I guess some idiots crave attention.

The fact of the matter is some people like to be the centre of attention, why they like soccer (a team sport) is beyond me. Im just glad some people told them off after the moment of silence.

Blizzard

Two dickheads near the front of 111 were laughing away and yelling. Four of us in 113 were giving them the finger afterwards. They were staring back. They should have been thrown out by security for their disrespect.

Douchebags!

B

TFCtoMUFC
09-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Two dickheads near the front of 111 were laughing away and yelling. Four of us in 113 were giving them the finger afterwards. They were staring back. They should have been thrown out by security for their disrespect.

Douchebags!

B

I think I was near you then. I was in row 5 in 113 and the guys beside me were yelling, giving them the finger and then discussing post-game but kickings.

Oldtimer
09-12-2009, 07:35 PM
OBW showed today that Mo is 3/3 for his draft picks. OBW did some things that we don't see too often in TFC-land: he finished well, he created space, he kept possession.
He's going to be a great player for us next season when Winsper has had more time to get him fully well.

rocker
09-12-2009, 07:37 PM
First goal. Frei was great tonight but he simply must come out for those. It was in the crease! He has to come out and either punch it away or haul it in. There's no way Casey gets his head to it if Frei comes for it. He's show indecision on plays like that in the past.

Frei is great but is still a rookie and it did show on that goal. He'll learn from that one though.

B

it was also such a high arching ball that he had loads of time to follow it and come out and compete for it. He should have realized that probably only Nana could compete with Casey for that ball, and since Nana wasn't there, he needed to help out Garcia. And usually refs give the benefit of the doubt there to the keeper if he had gone up for a challenge with Casey.

Yohan
09-12-2009, 07:37 PM
the lads show up offensively to keep playoff hope alive

gah. why must they keep giving me hope? lol

ArmenJBX
09-12-2009, 07:39 PM
the lads show up offensively to keep playoff hope alive

gah. why must they keep giving me hope? lol

I can guarentee you that if we don't make playoffs, it would be by one point, it's just too ironic :D

Dub Narcotic
09-12-2009, 07:40 PM
OBW showed today that Mo is 3/3 for his draft picks. OBW did some things that we don't see too often in TFC-land: he finished well, he created space, he kept possession.
He's going to be a great player for us next season when Winsper has had more time to get him fully well.

Yes, White did hold up the ball once or twice. That is so rare for a TFC forward that I noted it during the game.

ecospice
09-12-2009, 07:46 PM
This is somewhere else on the site I am sure, but...

THANKS TO DANNY FOR SENDING UP THE PLANE WITH THE BANNER THANKING US FANS!!!

I think the banner said "Thanks TFC Fans, Your #9"...or something like that. Danny sat in the box behind section 223-224 (with Mo Jo) most of the game...when he was on the broadcast with Nigel and DeVos we all stood up and cheered and Danny stuck his head out the booth and gave us all the thumbs up. Pure class.

No Toronto athlete that I can remember ever sent up a plane!!!

S_D
09-12-2009, 07:46 PM

B

agreed. His indecision froze him. He must start owning the 6 yard box. He is a good shot stopper, but his inability to own his area is becoming something to be very concerned about. And what's more we haven't seen an improvement in that area at all this season. Yes he is a rookie, but if we can see it so can every coach in the league.

He needs more experience, but it is starting to cost TFC as it could come down to goal differential. If he is open to it, perhaps they should consider loaning him out during the off season so he can accelerate his learning.

My take from the game

Nice to see the three points but they got lethargic here and there.

Barrett, keep your mouth shut. You are starting to become a liability.

We need not only an experienced CB, we need a tall one. Casey was taller than everyone else and had a distinct advantage.

Gerba's backheel was superb creativity. Unlucky not to score.

OBW: Congrats on the goal. Looked like he tweeked his leg/knee. Take your time son!

Dero: Don't need to say anything lol

Cronin: The only thing that is holding him back is he is easily knocked off the ball. I am sure Winsper is going to make him hit the weights over the summer.

Another goal in the last 15 <sigh>

It should have been 3-0

boysblue
09-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Nobody has mentioned Jim Brennan yet. He was very good today and made very good use of possession--don't think he gave the ball away once. He is my MOTM, though several others (notably Nana and Amado also played well). I am one of those who likes Guevara very much. He is one of the few we have that can hold possession, show some creativity in the midfield and break down a defence. In my opinion we are a different team without him.

Lucky Strike
09-12-2009, 07:53 PM
This is somewhere else on the site I am sure, but...

THANKS TO DANNY FOR SENDING UP THE PLANE WITH THE BANNER THANKING US FANS!!!

I think the banner said "Thanks TFC Fans, Your #9"...or something like that. Danny sat in the box behind section 223-224 (with Mo Jo) most of the game...when he was on the broadcast with Nigel and DeVos we all stood up and cheered and Danny stuck his head out the booth and gave us all the thumbs up. Pure class.

No Toronto athlete that I can remember ever sent up a plane!!!

I did notice that as well (though on TV) and it was clearly readable and such a wonderful gesture. Did he get inspiration from the supporters' plane in 2008 in Columbus? Either way, what a class act this man.

InTheCrowd
09-12-2009, 07:56 PM
White played very well today but let's not be to early to judge.

ecospice
09-12-2009, 07:56 PM
I did notice that as well (though on TV) and it was clearly readable and such a wonderful gesture. Did he get inspiration from the supporters' plane in 2008 in Columbus? Either way, what a class act this man.

it was a bit hard to read from the stands - the #9 at the end flapped around in the plane's tailwind...but still DANNY SENT UP A PLANE!!!

T.O TILL I DIE
09-12-2009, 08:09 PM
YESSS!!!!!!!!!!!:D
we won do we have playoff spot or no?
and c what happens when the young players play we score we win!!!
and were was the big banner that was supposed to cover the whole south end???
will some answer these questions thank you
FOREVR A TFC FAN!!!

Oldtimer
09-12-2009, 08:32 PM
FOREVR A TFC FAN!!!

If Chicago wins tomorrow, we will be in a playoff spot.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Great afternoon.

Nana put in probably his best performance yet IMO, he has a great future ahead of him.

Chad Barrett put in one of his usually good yet crappy performances. I felt that in the first half he was standing around too much and not making runs down the wing, but in the second half his movement on and off the ball was much, much better, but as usual he came nowhere near scoring... lol

Ali Gerba... wow. He should have had 2, maybe 3, sure goals. If we get into the playoffs, I think OBW for Gerba may go down as the best substitution in TFC history. :D

TFCtoMUFC
09-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Great afternoon.

Nana put in probably his best performance yet IMO, he has a great future ahead of him.

Chad Barrett put in one of his usually good yet crappy performances. I felt that in the first half he was standing around too much and not making runs down the wing, but in the second half his movement on and off the ball was much, much better, but as usual he came nowhere near scoring... lol

Ali Gerba... wow. He should have had 2, maybe 3, sure goals. If we get into the playoffs, I think OBW for Gerba may go down as the best substitution in TFC history. :D

Regardless, I have more faith in Gerba than Barrett.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Likewise, for sure. At least Gerba's shots go within 50 feet of the net...

andyc
09-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Great Forever Red banner!

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=303&pictureid=1896

and this was the banner from the plane...

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=303&pictureid=1898

Good times!

jazzy
09-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Yeah, I thought Garcia did pretty well today too against the best strike force in MLS. That first goal was so obviously Frei's ball that it seemed to confuse Garcia and Wynne when he didn't come. I don't think Garcia is the next coming of Rio Ferdinand or anything, but he won a lot of balls and played some clever offsides. I'd like to see him back next year, if not as a starter.

If we are going to slag somebody, what about Vitti? That guy has been useless for 95% of the games, and was again today.

Vitti maybe, but, was I at the same game? BARRETT on for 85 minutes and complete shit.......Stupid card, constantly giving away passes same old, I'm so tired of this $200,000 failure , on the bench ok, but who is he sleeping with to stay on for 85 minutes instead of the kids.......

InTheCrowd
09-12-2009, 08:45 PM
You can't compare Gerba's chances with Barrett's usual chances. Gerba had a strong game.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-12-2009, 08:45 PM
This may have been mentioned, but who saw DD's plane flying by? What a great, great guy.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-12-2009, 08:47 PM
FOREVR A TFC FAN!!!
The ginormous banner is coming out on the last game of the season, I loved today's 2-stick though.

rocker
09-12-2009, 08:50 PM
i actually couldn't read the "#9" part on the banner.. so I was trying to figure out who was thanking the fans... hahah

mmmikey
09-12-2009, 08:53 PM

i've been thinking that every game he does for two seasons now. :P

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-12-2009, 08:55 PM
I don't mind De Vos actually, though I do prefer Craig Forrest. And from a CMNT perspective, I wish BOTH hadn't retired/had to retire so early. :(

GuelphStorm2007
09-12-2009, 08:56 PM
I did not watch the game today listened on the radio instead, TFC deserved the 3 points today eve though there were a few Brainfarts in the back, But I am hoping they do continue this play next week.
Question. Will Deguzman be ready to start next week.

mmmikey
09-12-2009, 08:58 PM
garcia didn't play THAT bad today. he let casey get away from him, but frei should have got a hand on that ball. the other goal, i think it was brennan that should have pressuring more too. garcia is never going to be good enough to make up for mistakes.. he needs others to play well around him, then he is a serviceable defender.

would like to see more of OBW and Felinga. pushing up brennan to midfield is a good thing.

this team still clearly lacks focus in the last 10 mins of a game/half. its FRUSTRATING. that's on the coach and captains.

mmmikey
09-12-2009, 09:00 PM
I did not watch the game today listened on the radio instead, TFC deserved the 3 points today eve though there were a few Brainfarts in the back, But I am hoping they do continue this play next week.
Question. Will Deguzman be ready to start next week.

i can't see him NOT starting next week. prob won't be a full 90, but 70 mins is reasonable.. they will need him against LA.

Yohan
09-12-2009, 09:03 PM
i can't see him NOT starting next week. prob won't be a full 90, but 70 mins is reasonable.. they will need him against LA.
agreed. donovan and beckham are going to be a handful

mmmikey
09-12-2009, 09:07 PM
agreed. His indecision froze him. He must start owning the 6 yard box. He is a good shot stopper, but his inability to own his area is becoming something to be very concerned about. And what's more we haven't seen an improvement in that area at all this season. Yes he is a rookie, but if we can see it so can every coach in the league.

He needs more experience, but it is starting to cost TFC as it could come down to goal differential. If he is open to it, perhaps they should consider loaning him out during the off season so he can accelerate his learning.

*snip*

Cronin: The only thing that is holding him back is he is easily knocked off the ball. I am sure Winsper is going to make him hit the weights over the summer.

agreed on both counts. it seems like frei is getting more apprehensive about high balls into the box as the season wears on. need to work that out before it becomes a "thing".

totally agreed on cronin. a player of his stature should be able to shield the ball still and draw a bunch of fouls. would like to see him sat down with a tape of modric. not a big guy, but great positioning and use of his body.

Stryker
09-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Nobody has mentioned Jim Brennan yet. He was very good today and made very good use of possession--don't think he gave the ball away once. He is my MOTM, though several others (notably Nana and Amado also played well). I am one of those who likes Guevara very much. He is one of the few we have that can hold possession, show some creativity in the midfield and break down a defence. In my opinion we are a different team without him.
Not entirely sure what you're smokin but the only time I noticed Brennen all game was when he did his patent "big boot downfield" when he wasen't even being pressured. It landed at midfield and the Rapids immediately launched an attack in the dying minutes which could have tied the game.
MOM indeed. :facepalm:

GuelphStorm2007
09-12-2009, 09:15 PM
I think a win in L.A. is very doable, Hell they did it last year. As crazy as this sounds a win against a Bruce Arena coached team, with players like Donavan puts a huge smile on my face. Those two just annoy me ever since World Cup 2002.

Dub Narcotic
09-12-2009, 09:25 PM
BTW, despite Nigel Reed's carping, I thought the game was enjoyable today. I had more fun watching it than Barcelona-Getafe later on in the day.

Yohan
09-12-2009, 09:26 PM
i wonder how many people noticed Chad Barrett putting a pin point cross that Gerba botched the chance at 6min mark

Oldtimer
09-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Barrett didn't score, as usual, but he was instrumental in one of the goals.

Bloor West FC
09-12-2009, 09:30 PM
really really sloppy play by TFC in the 2nd half. Yes we scored 2 times but how many times did we give the ball away and how many chances could we have created if they moved the ball and helped each other out. errrrr we need a better coach.

Bars92
09-12-2009, 09:34 PM
cummins is the man

Ageroo
09-12-2009, 09:39 PM
My pics are up guys from the Head Shave and game......

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=714449#post714449

InTheCrowd
09-12-2009, 09:42 PM
i wonder how many people noticed Chad Barrett putting a pin point cross that Gerba botched the chance at 6min mark

Good cross but it wasn't that great of a position for Gerba. If you look at the chances Barrett has had this season it's crazy compared to this. Gerba played it well with a light tough and was unfortunate to miss by a couple of inches. Not much botching there.

Yohan
09-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Good cross but it wasn't that great of a position for Gerba. If you look at the chances Barrett has had this season it's crazy compared to this. Gerba played it well with a light tough and was unfortunate to miss by a couple of inches. Not much botching there.
my point is that Barrett gets all stick, but very little love around here

Dbl_D
09-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Barrett didn't score, as usual, but he was instrumental in one of the goals.

as well (for all you wynne haters out there)

another goal set up by (another of mo johnson's key first round picks)

captain marvel...

:facepalm: I just don't understand how you can be so down on him... (all that bouncing is shakin' your brains up...)

Yohan
09-12-2009, 09:54 PM

captain marvel...

:facepalm: I just don't understand how you can be so down on him... (all that bouncing is shakin' your brains up...)
because wynne sucks as a defender

Bars92
09-12-2009, 09:55 PM
why is he being played as a defender then?^

Shakes McQueen
09-12-2009, 09:56 PM

captain marvel...

Because his primary job is to defend, and his still hasn't quite figured that part out.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
09-12-2009, 09:58 PM

Barrett also put in a nice pass to Guevara in the last 10 minutes or so, that Guevara almost managed to put in the net.

Barrett had a good game today, but people will always focus on the things he does wrong (which you could do with every TFC player if you looked hard enough).

- Scott

jloome
09-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Barrett also put in a nice pass to Guevara in the last 10 minutes or so, that Guevara almost managed to put in the net.

Barrett had a good game today, but people will always focus on the things he does wrong (which you could do with every TFC player if you looked hard enough).

- Scott

No, that's not fair scott. Barrett screws up with considerably more regularity than other players and, more importantly, in very important situations. Witness the yellow card today; now he's looking at a potential suspension if he gets another at the most important time of the season, just for lipping off to the sideline judge.

THat's just stupid. And stupid play puts him in the camp with Garcia and Serioux as guys who just cost us too often to be starters.

But yeah, he was much better on the wing today. Several dangerous crosses.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-12-2009, 10:07 PM
TBH, I felt Barrett was very poor for 60 minutes but really turned it on in the last half hour and made some great runs and some nice passes. He's got issues.

Shakes McQueen
09-12-2009, 10:18 PM
TBH, I felt Barrett was very poor for 60 minutes but really turned it on in the last half hour and made some great runs and some nice passes. He's got issues.

If you look at every player objectively, they all have issues. Barrett's are just very well known.

@ jloome: I agree, Barrett is developing a problem with getting hot-headed yellows. And until he learns to control that, I don't think he should be a regular starter. I don't think that detracts from my point that most people will choose to focus on the yellow card, rather than all of the good things he helped engineer today.

- Scott

InTheCrowd
09-12-2009, 10:23 PM
No, that's not fair scott. Barrett screws up with considerably more regularity than other players and, more importantly, in very important situations. Witness the yellow card today; now he's looking at a potential suspension if he gets another at the most important time of the season, just for lipping off to the sideline judge.

THat's just stupid. And stupid play puts him in the camp with Garcia and Serioux as guys who just cost us too often to be starters.

But yeah, he was much better on the wing today. Several dangerous crosses.

Naw it was even worse. You could clearly see what happened on TV. He was lipping off complaining about the call so the ref came to talk to him and you could clearly see Barrett telling the ref to "fuck off". Ref immediately pulled the yellow.

I agree that Barrett has become a punching bag, but sometimes it's rightfully so.

ballerz
09-12-2009, 11:06 PM
why is he being played as a defender then?^

He blows everytime Carver or Cummins put him on the wing.

twistedchinaman
09-13-2009, 04:39 AM

He'll get the carrot when he produces.
Until then he's gonna get stick.

Yohan
09-13-2009, 06:22 AM
He'll get the carrot when he produces.
Until then he's gonna get stick.
dude. Chad Barrett was directly involved in 5 scoring chances in the game. His best game as a winger this season IMO

and the only thing most people will remember is the stupid yellow card he got for lipping to the ref

on other note, good seeing the fluid attacking game that was similar to Seattle away game for most part. passes were crisp, and people were moving around and getting open

saw what Gerba could do when he gets service. could have done better with some of the chances he got, but also unlucky to not score on that cheeky backheel that was cleared off the line

saw best of DeRo. the unselfish one that trusts his teammates more and doesn't do the bonehead one on three dribbling. absolute terror on offence. clinical finish on goal, and unlucky to hit the post in final mins of the game. got an assist on White's goal, and used his teammates better than most games

O'Brian White = impact sub. that was one helluva cheeky chip

for once Cummins wasn't outcoached by the other manager. his two subs in 65 mins was what was needed to juice up the offence again. finally he wasn't hesitant to pull the trigger on subs when the game got a bit stale

Oldtimer
09-13-2009, 07:07 AM
dude. Chad Barrett was directly involved in 5 scoring chances in the game. His best game as a winger this season IMO

and the only thing most people will remember is the stupid yellow card he got for lipping to the ref

... and people look at his inconsistancy, his obvious misses on net, yet never watch a DC game and see that Emilio (one of their key players) does the same.

Chevy
09-13-2009, 08:21 AM
+1. Stupid yellow without a doubt, but Chad had a very strong match yesterday.

SoccMan
09-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Barrett is a frustrating player to watch, because he shows so much potential when he gets the ball and he does make many mistakes,however, I love his hustle and workrate he realy seems to give it his all, and he does not do a bad job on the wing. In many games this year he has created many scoring chances for other from his passes, and just yesterday versus Colorado like someone already mentioned he did create a few good scoring chances. As a striker I think he has not proven himself,but play him wide in the midfield and he has become pretty useful.

Kaz
09-13-2009, 09:45 AM
yesterday was a good game by all but two players really.. Garcia, (through no fault of his own, his older) and Wynne, he did nothing useful that Gomez couldn't have done equally well, and worse then that he just sat there and did nothing allowing that first goal... Though Garcia shouldn't have had his to the play like that.

though in fairness I think that goal gave us the win... the Team seems uninterested in hustle if they have a one goal lead. So that goal most likely allowed those two other goals that gave us a win.

But still shouldn't have happened. Defensively we have been weak all season, much weaker in the back then up front. Hopefully off season we can dump Wynne and Garcia, pick up a decent defender or two one that is a decent vocal leader would be nice, and see Gomez, Sanyang and Gala achieve alittle of what Attakora has this season.

Candu_88
09-13-2009, 09:47 AM
TFC played a fluid 4-2-3-1 today with Guevara and Cronin as the ratters. Did anyone notice that no Colorado attacks came through the middle? Cronin's great pass to Dero set up that awesome OBW goal. Robbo doesn't control the middle and support the attacks like that does he?

OBW had an immediate impact on the game. He worked hard to be available for passes from the midfield and then linked up very well. He pressured the defense. He made lots of runs to space, was cutting in front of the defenders, made a great arcing run and finish on his goal. These are all things that Gerba wasn't doing was he?

Nana man marked Casey in the first half and no denied him any scoring chanes. As soon as Garcia took him he scored.

Truth is Frei was at fault. That was a looping cross well within the 6 yard box. That is the keeper's job. Frei is a great shot stopper and commands the box well on through balls and hoofs but he is poor on crosses. Given that Colorado are a true 4-4-2 team with a great header I would have started Edwards who is great dealing with crosses.

InTheCrowd
09-13-2009, 09:59 AM
OBW had an immediate impact on the game. He worked hard to be available for passes from the midfield and then linked up very well. He pressured the defense. He made lots of runs to space, was cutting in front of the defenders, made a great arcing run and finish on his goal. These are all things that Gerba wasn't doing was he?

That's because they are different types of strikers. Gerba pressured defense and could easily hold up the ball using his physicality. He was where he needed to be when he got his chances and his finishes were very good. In future games finishes like those will go into the net.

Also Frei didn't have a good game.

Yohan
09-13-2009, 10:33 AM
other than Casey's goal, exactly what else did Frei did wrong?

made couple of good saves, like he usually does

Sullivan
09-13-2009, 10:48 AM
MLS special bulletin AND a ProZone Scouting alert - TFC scored off a corner!!!

3 urgently required points acquired.

Focus to next week's match - AWAY, vs LA Galaxy.
1 game at a time. Focus!

flatpicker
09-13-2009, 10:50 AM
MLS special bulletin AND a ProZone Scouting alert - TFC scored off a corner!!!

getting a goal from a corner kick sure was refreshing!

Candu_88
09-13-2009, 10:51 AM
That's because they are different types of strikers. Gerba pressured defense and could easily hold up the ball using his physicality. He was where he needed to be when he got his chances and his finishes were very good. In future games finishes like those will go into the net.

Gerba's back heel attempt was cool and a little unlucky. He is a fox in the box type striker with awesome power with both feet. But let's be honest he had numerous chances to score and wasn't up to standard. His work rate does not impress me and he seems very easy for the defense to mark because he is a little too static. The most annoying play was when he tried to chest a crossed ball and dribble from 9 yards out while under full pressure from two defenders. WTF? Just head that ball into the corner of the net. Is anyone still questioning why League One MK Dons released him for free?

Gerba does have potential but he needs better fitness, higher work rate, smarter runs and more presence in the air. But I have stated this several times after TFC's open practice. OBW clearly looked like TFC's most consistent finisher. He looks way smarter already and is definitely showing serious improvement and maturity. I really like his potential.

Yohan
09-13-2009, 10:53 AM
getting a goal from a corner kick sure was refreshing!
after getting scored on from so many corners against us, yeah!

I think Nana's goal was first one off the corner since... Barrett's winner vs Mtl last june. long time coming

v00d00daddy
09-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Barrett had a good game only by Barrett standards. He did 50% good and 50% bad. Sadly, that's a good game for Barrett.

He did not have a good game if you're comparing him to other players with TFC or even with Colorado.

He was average...which has come to mean good for Chad Barrett.

I know a lot of people shit on him but there are also those who think that he needs the support of the fans, his teammates and his coach to turn things around.

He's gotten plenty of that and still...this is the best game he's played in a while?

If that's what we're gonna get when he's at the top of his game? No thanks.

He's just not very good....AND..his attitude sucks balls.

He won that foul yesterday and pissed it away because he had to be a suck to the official. He doesn't have the brains to play this game.

InTheCrowd
09-13-2009, 11:32 AM
other than Casey's goal, exactly what else did Frei did wrong?

made couple of good saves, like he usually does

Both goals.

Gerba's back heel attempt was cool and a little unlucky. He is a fox in the box type striker with awesome power with both feet. But let's be honest he had numerous chances to score and wasn't up to standard. His work rate does not impress me and he seems very easy for the defense to mark because he is a little too static. The most annoying play was when he tried to chest a crossed ball and dribble from 9 yards out while under full pressure from two defenders. WTF? Just head that ball into the corner of the net. Is anyone still questioning why League One MK Dons released him for free?

Gerba does have potential but he needs better fitness, higher work rate, smarter runs and more presence in the air. But I have stated this several times after TFC's open practice. OBW clearly looked like TFC's most consistent finisher. He looks way smarter already and is definitely showing serious improvement and maturity. I really like his potential.

And you made this judgment from yesterday?

Petor
09-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Quite the game yesterday!

Went down with 3 goals:
1:Get a ticket
2:Attend my first tailgate
3:Join the Red Patch Boys

#2 was the easiest but I got there a little late I guess(2:15) as all they had left was HAMburgers and HAM sandwiches, both of which were very good. I guess some supporter has a weird coloured dog that was shedding because I saw black, blond and red hair all over the place. :jester:
#1 was a little harder but I eventually got one at the tailgate, a seat in 127 :drum: Thank you so much Charlie M!!!

#3 didn't happen because they were already inside setting up banners and stuff but there is always next time(#1 was the most important).

The only thing that ticked me off yesterday was that moron(s) during the moment of silence, I heard they(it) got a talking to but if those mutton heads were close to me they would have gotten more than that.

Had some bonus situations:
I'm far sighted so when someone pointed out the plane I read what it said and we all cheered and the DD chant happened a few times not just at the 24th minute!
A father and his young son(10? bad with ages) were standing beside me.
Before I realized that a young one was near me I let Toledo have it with a bunch of #@%$&! I noticed the lad and apologized to his dad. Dad was cool with it, he said he told his son to expect it. Well I tried to be more creative with my explitives and only let one f word slip. When they left I told the kid he was the luckiest kid alive because of his dad, both had a good day I hope.
At the end I helped carry a banner to that horny place, don't remember too much after that.
Woke up today, checked my pants pockets and I still had some money left. :D
The win was the best part of an almost perfect day for football.
:flare::scarf::flare:

RedRum
09-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Barrett had a good game only by Barrett standards. He did 50% good and 50% bad. Sadly, that's a good game for Barrett.

He did not have a good game if you're comparing him to other players with TFC or even with Colorado.

I know a lot of people shit on him but there are also those who think that he needs the support of the fans, his teammates and his coach to turn things around.

He's gotten plenty of that and still...this is the best game he's played in a while?

He won that foul yesterday and pissed it away because he had to be a suck to the official. He doesn't have the brains to play this game.

Go look at the replay. When DeRo scored our first goal Barrett didn't exactly look happy. Why? Because the ball from Wynne would have come to Barrett had DeRo not back-tracked to get it.

Same shit happened in Boston when Gerba (I think) blocked Barrett's shot, it fell to DeRo who buries it like the champ that he is. Barrett looks foul. Despite his poor finishing I've always supported Barrett because he at least tries hard and doesn't fuck the dog but looking pissed when your team just scored a goal doesn't sit well with me. Please Chad, be a team guy. A collection of indivuals is useless.

InTheCrowd
09-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Go look at the replay. When DeRo scored our first goal Barrett didn't exactly look happy. Why? Because the ball from Wynne would have come to Barrett had DeRo not back-tracked to get it.

Same shit happened in Boston when Gerba (I think) blocked Barrett's shot, it fell to DeRo who buries it like the champ that he is. Barrett looks foul. Despite his poor finishing I've always supported Barrett because he at least tries hard and doesn't fuck the dog but looking pissed when your team just scored a goal doesn't sit well with me. Please Chad, be a team guy. A collection of indivuals is useless.

After the goal I thought that might've been the case. As they showed the replay I payed attention to Barrett's reaction and actually he was happy like the rest of the team.

Yohan
09-13-2009, 12:30 PM

I dunno how you rate players, but if you create 5 scoring chances as a winger, you've had a great game by any standards

Yohan
09-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Both goals.

i dunno how Frei could be faulted for 2nd goal, considering 3 TFC defenders were like 2 steps away from Holody, and you'd expect one of them to close down

InTheCrowd
09-13-2009, 12:38 PM
i dunno how Frei could be faulted for 2nd goal, considering 3 TFC defenders were like 2 steps away from Holody, and you'd expect one of them to close down

The defenders did poorly but that doesn't mean Frei did well. That was very stoppable and he just watched that slow shot bounce by.

Yohan
09-13-2009, 12:47 PM
The defenders did poorly but that doesn't mean Frei did well. That was very stoppable and he just watched that slow shot bounce by.
Frei looked partially screened, and the shot was well placed and wasn't that much of a slow shot

v00d00daddy
09-13-2009, 01:02 PM
I dunno how you rate players, but if you create 5 scoring chances as a winger, you've had a great game by any standards

so..if Chad had a great game...then how would you rate the games that the following players had:

-guevara
-dero
-attakora
-connor casey

did chad play as well as they did?

I don't think he did. I also didn't see any of them throw a childish hissy fit for no reason.

I was there very early for the game yesterday and watched the entire warm up.

Chad put a nice shot off the post in warm up and threw his hands up in disgust and held his head....almost as if to say "why me?"

The guy is a little bonkers. Some call it competitive...I call it being a loser.

It's one thing to hate to lose...it's entirely another thing to be a dick...Chad is a dick. Why are we still talking about wanting this guy on the team?

And before people call me out for this being a personal attack...I'm not saying he is a dick as a person...cause I don't know the guy. He is a dick, the way he plays the game and carries himself on the field. Completely different.

Remember this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEuE3u199us

look at the 1:00, 1:35, 1:55 (where he's yelling at Marvell Wynne lol) and 2:45 marks of the video.

And the guy has the gall to insist that somebody concentrate.

I'm surprised one of his teammates haven't punched him out yet.

H Bomb
09-13-2009, 01:07 PM
^^ I agree about the woe is me chad. But yesterday during the game (a better indictator than warmups for me ;) )there was a nice play that resulted in chad shooting high over the net. The video screen showed chad covering his face and i thought, oh there's the pouty guy we know and love...but then he pulled his hands down and had a big smile on his face. I think that was a big part of yesterdays win. It seemed to me that the boys were out there having fun, and trying to express themselves in their game.

Also Sam Cronin is so awesome

v00d00daddy
09-13-2009, 01:09 PM
^^ I agree about the woe is me chad. But yesterday during the game (a better indictator than warmups for me ;) )there was a nice play that resulted in chad shooting high over the net. The video screen showed chad covering his face and i thought, oh there's the pouty guy we know and love...but then he pulled his hands down and had a big smile on his face. I think that was a big part of yesterdays win. It seemed to me that the boys were out there having fun, and trying to express themselves in their game.

Also Sam Cronin is so awesome

I won't argue with that.

As for chad....I agree the game is a better indicator than warm up. The game is also where he melted down on the officials and got himself booked. He also took a shot at net and hit the side dasher boards. I didn't get to see his reaction on that shot becasue I was too busy laughing.

It's gotten that bad. I don't even get mad anymore...I just laugh.

Candu_88
09-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Both goals.

And you made this judgment from yesterday?

I never saw Gerba play for the Dons but certainly every TFC and team Canada games. Gerba does not have height and speed and work rate to be a lone striker. Does not get on enough balls to be a target striker. Does not make the runs and have the speed to be an advanced striker. The only hope IMO is to pair him up with well rounded, physical, skilled playmaker striker where his finishing and power would shine. We don't have one of those right now.

Barrett had an okay game and is adapting to left wing. The player that I used to to really like but am now getting seriously frustrated with is Vitti. No width, no crosses and always dribbles inside into trouble. But most annoying thing is how easily he goes to ground and loses possession.

Guevara surprised me with how well he played as a ratter. Fellinga looks promising. Cummins finally made the right subs at the right time and that won us the game. DeRo's passing was much improved and he played at the level I was expecting all season.

Overall a very enjoyable game and my optimism for TFC is much higher now.

GO YOU REDS!:scarf:

InTheCrowd
09-13-2009, 01:16 PM
GO YOU REDS!:scarf:
I'll second that. :D

:scarf:

twistedchinaman
09-13-2009, 01:33 PM
... and people look at his inconsistancy, his obvious misses on net, yet never watch a DC game and see that Emilio (one of their key players) does the same.

Exactly! He runs hot and cold, sometimes with sheer brilliance, other times amateurish to no end. It is very frustrating to watch -- plus, a striker's consistency should be measured by the times he bulges the net. How many times has he done that?

Yohan
09-13-2009, 02:02 PM
so..if Chad had a great game...then how would you rate the games that the following players had:

-guevara
-dero
-attakora
-connor casey

did chad play as well as they did?
Actually, I think Chad Barrett played as well almost as good as DeRo (my MoM) and just as well as Guevara and Nana. Just IMO

I don't think he did. I also didn't see any of them throw a childish hissy fit for no reason.

I was there very early for the game yesterday and watched the entire warm up.

Chad put a nice shot off the post in warm up and threw his hands up in disgust and held his head....almost as if to say "why me?"

The guy is a little bonkers. Some call it competitive...I call it being a loser.

It's one thing to hate to lose...it's entirely another thing to be a dick...Chad is a dick. Why are we still talking about wanting this guy on the team?

And before people call me out for this being a personal attack...I'm not saying he is a dick as a person...cause I don't know the guy. He is a dick, the way he plays the game and carries himself on the field. Completely different.

Remember this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEuE3u199us

look at the 1:00, 1:35, 1:55 (where he's yelling at Marvell Wynne lol) and 2:45 marks of the video.

And the guy has the gall to insist that somebody concentrate.

I'm surprised one of his teammates haven't punched him out yet.
basically, you think Chad had a bad game because his attitude sucks?

so, Blankie and Shitlicker dives like hell (actually, Guevara is guilty of this sometimes too), and are whiny babies, therefore they suck?

Barrett could use an attitude adjustment, but I dont think it changes the fact that Barrett had a good game

Yohan
09-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Exactly! He runs hot and cold, sometimes with sheer brilliance, other times amateurish to no end. It is very frustrating to watch -- plus, a striker's consistency should be measured by the times he bulges the net. How many times has he done that?
I think most of us have come to conclusion that Barrett makes a decent winger, but terrible striker...

maybe about time we start criticizing Barrett as a winger instead of striker now?

Sullivan
09-13-2009, 02:23 PM
I didn't see a lot of UConn games, but those games that I watched when OBW was a Huskie, well..., that's the type of goal he would score.
He cashed in and finished on a lot of opportunities.
And based on comments from people I trust and rely on who watch a lot more NCAA soccer than I ever have, yesterday's effort hopefully is a taste of more to come.

poppamidnight
09-13-2009, 02:28 PM
I think most of us have come to conclusion that Barrett makes a decent winger, but terrible striker...

maybe about time we start criticizing Barrett as a winger instead of striker now?

Barrett just doesn't warrant:

a - His salary
b - A starting position (Striker or Winger)

I honestly wouldn't mind having him as a bench player next year at $80-95,000,
But I hate seeing him start all the time, and have this big salary he suckered Mo into giving him...
Bad part is i believe there's another 2-4 yrs left on that deal? (dont remember off top of my head, and too lazy to google)

Blizzard
09-13-2009, 03:32 PM

Did anybody notice that the Gerba back heel had been called offside?
Actually, I think he'd been in an offside position on the first pass but was not offside on the pass that came to him although as it hadn't been played by a Rapids player, I guess that is why the linesman flagged. Is it the correct call though??? I'd always thought that Gerba would have been ok in this instance.

I wouldn't have noticed except that the keeper took a free kick from his goal crease on a play that otherwise should have been a corner.

B

Shakes McQueen
09-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Just watched the 'game in an hour" again on GolTV - what the fuck was Nick Labrocca thinking? That was the worst attempt at getting a player a card I have ever seen. Even Toledo didn't buy it, and he doesn't even like us.

- Scott

Lucky Strike
09-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Just watched the 'game in an hour" again on GolTV - what the fuck was Nick Labrocca thinking? That was the worst attempt at getting a player a card I have ever seen. Even Toledo didn't buy it, and he doesn't even like us.

- Scott

Actually, Attakora did get a card on that one, frustratingly enough.

Shakes McQueen
09-13-2009, 04:42 PM

Oh really? To be fair, all I heard was Nigel say that Toledo didn't appear to be disciplining anyone, and then I looked away for a minute or so, haha.

Still though - that was pathetic. Guys who do stuff like that need a punch in the head.

- Scott

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-13-2009, 05:03 PM

Barrett in Boston was upset over a blocked shot not that DeRo scored it..ease up on the guy!! If DeRo buries it like a champ he would not have missed the penalty in KC to start the season buy sending it in to outerspace? sounds sort of petty right..?? Chad needs a couple of breaks
to happen his way...this is where the reserve league would help he could play there till he gets his confidence back..

ensco
09-13-2009, 05:16 PM

It wasn't a trivial moment. That card influenced the game.

It's never good when your centre back is on a yellow, and sure enough, Nana looked tentative several times in the second half (including once when Cummings totally schooled him, but then flubbed the shot).

Davenport
09-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Barrett in Boston was upset over a blocked shot not that DeRo scored it..ease up on the guy!! If DeRo buries it like a champ he would not have missed the penalty in KC to start the season buy sending it in to outerspace? sounds sort of petty right..?? Chad needs a couple of breaks
to happen his way...this is where the reserve league would help he could play there till he gets his confidence back..
The only break Barrett needs is a break for the border.
He's a selfish shite.

v00d00daddy
09-13-2009, 05:35 PM
basically, you think Chad had a bad game because his attitude sucks?

so, Blankie and Shitlicker dives like hell (actually, Guevara is guilty of this sometimes too), and are whiny babies, therefore they suck?

Barrett could use an attitude adjustment, but I dont think it changes the fact that Barrett had a good game

No, I think Barrett is an average to below average soccer player. Combine that with his shitty attitude and you get a player that sucks...imo.

Blanco and Schelotto dive...but they're also good/great players. When Barrett starts contributing the way those guys do I'll give him a break on his attitude.

Unfortunately Barrett is not physically capable of contributing to a game like Blanco, Schelotto or Guevara.

He's just not good enough.

Hence..he sucks.

twistedchinaman
09-13-2009, 06:23 PM
No, I think Barrett is an average to below average soccer player. Combine that with his shitty attitude and you get a player that sucks...imo.

Blanco and Schelotto dive...but they're also good/great players. When Barrett starts contributing the way those guys do I'll give him a break on his attitude.

Unfortunately Barrett is not physically capable of contributing to a game like Blanco, Schelotto or Guevara.

He's just not good enough.

Hence..he sucks.

+1,000,000,000

His natural role is striker, not a winger. Until he fully converts, he will be gauged as a striker.

Shakes McQueen
09-13-2009, 06:32 PM

You're seriously still hung up on that inconsequential penalty miss in WEEK FRIGGING ONE?

If DeRo buries it like a champ, he'd be the team's top scorer! Oh wait, he is! He has also almost managed to overtake Dichio's club single season goal mark, and he doesn't even play as a forward!

Your ridiculous vendetta with DeRo never ceases to amaze me.

- Scott

Darlofletch
09-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Well, a very entertaining game. I thought we played a lot better than usual, much more patient passing build up.

very nice goal from De Ro, as I was in the middle of shouting at him for taking it off Barrett who was in a better position, and good goals form White and nana as well.

barrett had a good game i thought, though the dissent yellow was just silly.

Frei really should have come for that cross for the first goal, Casey is always going to win a header aginst garcia, and even if frei didn't win the ball, the slightest contact and the goalie always gets the foul called in his favour.

the plane message from Danny was a nice touch if a little hard to read. i was feeling a bit emotional at 23:13. incidentally david miller was sat in 225 and at 23:13 he stood up and raised his beer while singing, good to see.

All in all, a good game and three welcome points, but two soft goals, and Colorado had a very weakened squad so i'm still not full of confidence for the la and chicago games.

ensco
09-13-2009, 08:18 PM
^Shakes, you've got to ignore this guy. It's not like anyone in the milky way agrees with this stuff.

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-13-2009, 08:48 PM
You're seriously still hung up on that inconsequential penalty miss in WEEK FRIGGING ONE?

If DeRo buries it like a champ, he'd be the team's top scorer! Oh wait, he is! He has also almost managed to overtake Dichio's club single season goal mark, and he doesn't even play as a forward!

Your ridiculous vendetta with DeRo never ceases to amaze me.

- Scott

it was a scarcastic point of fans being to hard on Barrett for things that have not being going his way......thats all

Ossington Mental Youth
09-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Also why cant CC start Gerba and OBW up front.

no clue, id like to think that this game was proof that they should be starting together, im thinking its mostly cuz of the physical condition they are in, and youd have to sub them both off eventually but next year after a full preseason they will play together often...
IDEALLY