PDA

View Full Version : Biggest news this week - DD, JDG, or Grass??

Nodoubtguy
09-11-2009, 10:30 AM
So this has been one of the biggest news weeks for TFC, so my question is.......What was the most important story of the week??

Danny retires?
JDG finally signs?
Developments about grass?

rocker
09-11-2009, 10:30 AM
i clicked hoping for a poll..... sigh

Ageroo
09-11-2009, 10:31 AM
JDG, Grass..........Danny...but you know my love for JDG Sal. :)

Steve
JDG. DD was going to retire at the end of the season, so 6 games is the only real difference. Grass has been building slowly throughout the summer, and it's still not fully passed yet (just the first level). JDG instantly makes our team better, and I had given up hope on him coming anytime soon.

Nodoubtguy

Give me a second, had to make it.....

Ageroo

ha ha...this is poll worthy...

Nodoubtguy
09-11-2009, 10:32 AM
I was split between JDG and Grass. JDG is the big thing now, but grass changes everything in the future....

Stryker
09-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Without a doubt its the grass. It effects the whole team, the quality of play and our ability to sign higher quality players in the future.
I'd take grass over any player in the world.

TFC Bhoy
09-11-2009, 10:35 AM
I chose Dichio because while we all knew he was retiring at the end of the season no one saw it coming this week. Where as there have been JDG talks for a long time now. Off and on but still there had been talks of it and it seemed getting more and more likely so it wasnt out of left field. While Dichio being gone now instead of season end seemed to be. So thats biggest news to me, but all are pretty big.

Redcoe15
09-11-2009, 10:37 AM
I vote "All of the above" ;) :D

mrnegative15
09-11-2009, 10:41 AM
I voted JDG signs, then I realized that if Dichio hadn't retired, we wouldn't have had the cap room.
So in reality it's Dichio's retirement. Hate to see the guy go, but he has potentially helped this team more than he could on the pitch himself.

Whoop
09-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Who is Danny Dichio?

Oldtimer
The biggest news story:

With $5.5 million on grass + Lamport, etc improvements (only $2.8 million from the Edu money, $500k went to cap space, $1.7 million went to MLS), and millions more for JDG, I defy anyone to say that MLSE is cheap (not always wise with their money, but NOT cheap).

The Professor
I was just thinking today was lacking a poll. :D

Voted grass. It puts Huckerby-like bs behind us.

James17930
09-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Not 'one of the biggest' -- THE biggest, bar none (unless you want to include when they actually announced the team's existence).

And today, especially -- our first DP and grass all in the same day -- ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. The two things we've wanted for years, both happening on the same day.

Incredible.

Shakes McQueen
09-11-2009, 11:00 AM
The biggest news story:

With $5.5 million on grass + Lamport, etc improvements (only $2.8 million from the Edu money, $500k went to cap space, $1.7 million went to MLS), and millions more for JDG, I defy anyone to say that MLSE is cheap (not always wise with their money, but NOT cheap).

Was just going to say something like this. This is a day where MLSE deserve some props from us.

They did two things some of the more pessimistic folks among us thought they would never do - shell out the money to get us a good DP, and shell out the money t o get us grass.

So thank you MLSE. You done good. Now get us in the playoffs!

- Scott

Lucky Strike
09-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Not 'one of the biggest' -- THE biggest, bar none (unless you want to include when they actually announced the team's existence).

And today, especially -- our first DP and grass all in the same day -- ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. The two things we've wanted for years, both happening on the same day.

Incredible.

About the grass, today it passed the Ex Council but it still has to go to city council, right? That's what I read in another thread. Just asking because a lot of people are writing as if it's now 100% that we're getting it for next year. I mean, today's vote is of course hugely important, but it's not a slam-dunk is it?

Whoop
09-11-2009, 11:08 AM
But if David Miller supports it, his cronies at city council will too.

Which in the case, I don't mind.

Shakes McQueen
09-11-2009, 11:11 AM
About the grass, today it passed the Ex Council but it still has to go to city council, right? That's what I read in another thread. Just asking because a lot of people are writing as if it's now 100% that we're getting it for next year. I mean, today's vote is of course hugely important, but it's not a slam-dunk is it?

Getting it this far, as far as I understand it, was the major hurdle. And with Joey Pants voting for the proposal already, I don't see how this doesn't pass a council vote now.

- Scott

Lucky Strike
09-11-2009, 11:13 AM
^I see, I see. Thanks.

loconet
09-11-2009, 11:19 AM
We are very close!

The next big dates on the grass issue are Sept 30 (City council), Oct 1st (Toronto School District, Provincial and Federal approvals).

Lucky Strike
09-11-2009, 11:22 AM
We are very close!

The next big dates on the grass issue are Sept 30 (City council), Oct 1st (Toronto School District, Provincial and Federal approvals).

My god, it's like trying to launch a nuclear missile strike except that you need 50 people to turn their key all at once instead of two.

olegunnar
09-11-2009, 11:25 AM
The biggest news story:

Uhm.

You do realize that as managers of BMO field MLSE draws revenue from the site right?

So in essence the one time costs associated with this deal are for "capital upgrades".

They're spending money to make MORE money long term. They even say so in LOI.

I'm happy for grass, but lets not overstate how it went down or create apicture that this is some sort of charitable and frivolous act on MLSE's part.

jabbronies
09-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Danny for sure.
We NEVER got to say goodbye!!!!

FluSH
09-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Uhm.

You do realize that as managers of BMO field MLSE draws revenue from the site right?

So in essence the one time costs associated with this deal are for "capital upgrades".

I'm happy for grass, but lets not overstate how it went down or create apicture that this is some sort of charitable and frivolous act on MLSE's part.

Why would MLSE be doing things for charity?!?! Do you work for charity... I mean do you work at all...

cy43
09-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Uhm.

Soo for mlse to not be cheap they have to be stupid? Who gives away money? If your giving I shall take!

Jack
09-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Uhm.

I don't see anywhere in his post where he states that this is a charitable or frivolous act.

It's a good thing for our team and it's nice to see that the supposedly "cheap" owners are spending money on something that is not absolutely necessary for the team (arguable of course, but it's not essential to continued operation). Of course they see it as a long term investment, but that is not a bad thing for us. No one is naive enough to think they did this out of the goodness of their hearts, but I do think they realized, with the pressure of their customers, that this is the best way to move forward with their product.

I'm all over them when they do something I don't like, but I'll also give them some credit when they do something I think is right.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-11-2009, 11:48 AM
JDG.........The other 2 choices were going to happen sooner then later.....JDG signing......never thought he would of signed with tfc at this stage of his career! .....F'in Incredible!!

olegunnar
09-11-2009, 11:51 AM
I don't see anywhere in his post where he states that this is a charitable or frivolous act.

It's a good thing for our team and it's nice to see that the supposedly "cheap" owners are spending money on something that is not absolutely necessary for the team (arguable of course, but it's not essential to continued operation). Of course they see it as a long term investment, but that is not a bad thing for us. No one is naive enough to think they did this out of the goodness of their hearts, but I do think they realized, with the pressure of their customers, that this is the best way to move forward with their product.

I'm all over them when they do something I don't like, but I'll also give them some credit when they do something I think is right.

He said that the costs associated with bringing grass to BMO (including the lakeshore and lamport expenditures) proved MLSE was not cheap. He used "moderating" terms like Defy etc.

I'm not saying MLSE is cheap. I'm just saying the grass stuff doesn't prove they are NOT cheap. There are costs to doing business. Paying those costs does not make one not cheap.

In fact if one wanted to argue, and I don't, I think that it would be a more easily defended position that had MLSE not been cheap we would have had grass sooner. Like I said though i don't want to argue. All I wanted to do is to clarify to Mr Oldtime guy sir, that his logic was off.

olegunnar
09-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Why would MLSE be doing things for charity?!?! Do you work for charity... I mean do you work at all...

As I explained to Jack
I don't want to argue.
I just wanted to make the point to Mr Oldtime moderator guy that his logic was way off base. So in a nice way he'd get the point that he shouldn't be throwing down the guantlet when he's got his facts mixed up.
Spending money to make money does NOT make one cheap? Come on.
So if I re-do my kitchen so my house has a higher re-sale value...that magically makes me a big spender?

Shakes McQueen
09-11-2009, 11:55 AM
He said that the costs associated with bringing grass to BMO (including the lakeshore and lamport expenditures) proved MLSE was not cheap. He used "moderating" terms like Defy etc.

I'm not saying MLSE is cheap. I'm just saying the grass stuff doesn't prove they are NOT cheap. There are costs to doing business. Paying those costs does not make one not cheap.

In fact if one wanted to argue, and I don't, I think that it would be a more easily defended position that had MLSE not been cheap we would have had grass sooner. Like I said though i don't want to argue. All I wanted to do is to clarify to Mr Oldtime guy sir, that his logic was off.

Grass wasn't a cost of doing business. The team could keep playing on carpet until the end of time.

MLSE fronted the money required to make a long term investment in the good of this team. They deserve credit for that. There's no flaw in Oldtimer's logic at all.

- Scott

rocker
09-11-2009, 11:58 AM
it's great that MLSE can make money off soccer.. cuz for decades soccer was a charity... see the late Mr Stavro.. making money off it is a sign the sport is strong and doesn't need a handout.

Parkdale
09-11-2009, 12:05 PM
I'd vote for grass.

why? because all the players will benefit from playing on a better surface, and we'll get an improvement from everyone.

Steve
09-11-2009, 12:06 PM
As I explained to Jack
I don't want to argue.
I just wanted to make the point to Mr Oldtime moderator guy that his logic was way off base. So in a nice way he'd get the point that he shouldn't be throwing down the guantlet when he's got his facts mixed up.
Spending money to make money does NOT make one cheap? Come on.
So if I re-do my kitchen so my house has a higher re-sale value...that magically makes me a big spender?

What the what? So, according to you, a business can only be called "not cheap" if... they are bad at making money? Now you're just redefining language. Businesses exist to make money, they spend money to make money. End of story. As far as I understand, when people on this board were calling MLSE "cheap" it was because they thought MLSE wouldn't spend the money necessary to make money; not that they weren't treating soccer like a charity. The fact is, spending this money on a DP and grass shows that MLSE IS willing to put their money where their mouth is, and IS willing to spend money in the short term for a long term gain. Isn't that all we ever asked of them?

DOMIN8R
09-11-2009, 12:09 PM
^^^^ +1

MLSE grass proposal is complete and air tight because they chose to spend the extra $$$. They didn't need to. They could have clawed a few clauses back and saved up to 1 million in my opinion. But they didn't. They are going to pay to maintain the new turf, the bubble, heck they are even paying to reimburse for lost parking revenue at Exhibition Place.

MLSE cannot be considered cheap today.

Parkdale
09-11-2009, 12:11 PM
yeah... considering they have a) taken on cost of getting grass and b) signed a designated player just shows me that they want to be taken seriously.

we all know that BMO would still be full next year if there were ZERO improvements made, so I see this spending as an investment in the team.

which is good.

Roogsy
09-11-2009, 12:23 PM
The biggest news story:

This is true.

As a life-long suffering Leaf fan, I know in my heart of hearts that the current MLSE management is not cheap. Those arguments are nonsensical.

That they are GREEDY is a completely different matter. It's not that they are cheap it's that they really bend their fanbase over to pay for much of what they have decided to spend on.

And of course what OT said about not being smart with the money. They've really made some boneheaded decisions.

TFC on the other hand is a project in it's infancy still and requires investment, that is what grass and JDG are and it should be acknowledged as such. I can't say getting a DP at this point in the season is something I agree with, but we all know Mo's been working for months on this and if this is when it needed to happen, so be it.

ilikemusic
09-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Grass.

No question about it.

Hustle
09-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Big ups to MLSE and TFC front office today. I know no one wants to start that thread...but it shoud be done.

Roogsy
09-11-2009, 01:20 PM
OT's logic isn't off base.

While grass at BMO Field MAY provide future revenue down the line and is certainly a tax efficient improvement to the stadium, the issue at hand is whether MLSE is cheap as MLSE haters often cite.

Cheapness would involve MLSE failing to invest capital in it's properties. It would involve MLSE circumventing the MLS rules with a loophole of somekind to keep the Edu money without spending it the way we'd like.

The fact is that capital expenditures in and of themselves are an investment. The name alone designates SPENDING money. Therefore, it completely refutes any argument that whoever is doing the spending can possibly be qualified as cheap.

Now...is it an investment that will pay down the line? Probably. It certainly isn't a selfless act. But a selfless act from MLSE is not what we were demanding or expecting is it? We simply wanted grass. We're getting it. Let's be happy and not look to nitpick.

Cashcleaner
09-11-2009, 01:21 PM
I'd say Danny retiring is the biggest piece of news, because the grass issue has not been confirmed, nor do I think is JDG's status with the club. The Dichio retirement is the only real concrete news story we got, I would say.

Ageroo
09-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Big ups to MLSE and TFC front office today. I know no one wants to start that thread...but it shoud be done.

ha ha...that is the truth......for all the hate, they did something right today...hopefully this is a big sign of things to come in the future as well.

Cashcleaner
09-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Disregard my last post. JDG has signed and is confirmed to be a TFC player. Dichio retiring is probably still the #1 story in my mind, though.

Parkdale
09-11-2009, 01:27 PM
The fact is that capital expenditures in and of themselves are an investment. The name alone designates SPENDING money. Therefore, it completely refutes any argument that whoever is doing the spending can possibly be qualified as cheap.

just for the sake of argument....

it is possible to spend the smallest amount of money possible, which would make someone cheap despite their investment. Clearly this isn't the case here, as MLSE are dropping some serious coin. If they were buying the turf at the Homehardware and soccerballs at dollarama, then it would be cheap despite the cash going out.

billygrieveuk
09-11-2009, 01:41 PM
JdG is the biggest of the week for sure.

danny was doing it anyway, and he NEVER plays....
grass is a big issue, yes
but getting quality players like julian coming
to the MLS is whats best this league.

a more exciting game to follow, that matters...

rocker
09-11-2009, 01:41 PM
if they were cheap about grass, it would mean getting grass seed at canadian tire and tossing it down on dirt... but the whole undersoil heating thang/aeration/drainage is not cheap. i don't think Saputo stadium has that whole thing.

Fort York Redcoat
09-11-2009, 01:43 PM
More people know Dichio so it's probably bigger news.
JDG signing is the most important news for the future.
The grass has not been approved by everyone yet.

Parkdale
09-11-2009, 01:45 PM
if they were cheap about grass, it would mean getting grass seed at canadian tire and tossing it down on dirt... but the whole undersoil heating thang/aeration/drainage is not cheap. i don't think Saputo stadium has that whole thing.

I know that the people involved with the push for grass saw that game where Saputo's grass was all hacked up and said 'Never at BMO'.

Cashcleaner
09-11-2009, 01:47 PM
^ Wasn't it an issue more to do with drainage at Stade Saputo? I seem to recall that being mentioned when their pitch started deteriorating.

Fort York Redcoat
09-11-2009, 01:49 PM
^and playing twice in three days on said rain soked pitch but I can't say if better grass or a better drainage would have been a big difference.

ilikemusic
09-11-2009, 01:51 PM
I am stunned that grass isnt running away with this poll.

Danny and JDG are individuals. Important individuals, but theyre still only individuals.

Grass at BMO changes the entire franchise. It affects every player. It will effect every person who plays for Toronto FC for as long as the franchise exists.

We get grass at BMO next season, and i'll accept these first three years as being a complete write off.

Fort York Redcoat
09-11-2009, 01:59 PM
I am stunned that grass isnt running away with this poll.

Danny and JDG are individuals. Important individuals, but theyre still only individuals.

Grass at BMO changes the entire franchise. It affects every player. It will effect every person who plays for Toronto FC for as long as the franchise exists.

We get grass at BMO next season, and i'll accept these first three years as being a complete write off.

When we get grass I'all agree with you.

Pachuco
09-11-2009, 02:01 PM
why is the option:

"My wife got a bad ass job offer" not in here?

geeze, so sellfish :)

rocker
09-11-2009, 02:26 PM
^ Wasn't it an issue more to do with drainage at Stade Saputo? I seem to recall that being mentioned when their pitch started deteriorating.

ya, I don't think they have a proper system there... at least i think -- I remember religiously watching the construction photos that some dude posted every week.. I remember them putting the dirt down, levelling it, then putting the roles of sod down. That's about it. I am certain they don't have undersoil heating tho.

The weird thing at Saputo is that they put the grass down even before the fall.... but it never set root I guess because of the cold. And then as the season began next year, the pieces of sod were still not rooting, and lots of rain led to damage.

Perhaps a $3.5 million setup would have prevented the Saputo situation from happening.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Sorry, I must have missed it, but what happened regarding grass? :(

Broadview
09-11-2009, 02:34 PM
1-JDG! The team's 1st DP, I'll remember the build-up to the announcement forever I think.

2-Dichio. I'll remember him more playing than I will him retiring.

3-Grass, only 3rd because it's not actually there yet. Once it's there with TFC players running around on it, it'll be a tremendous relief more than anything.

bertal
09-11-2009, 03:18 PM
hard to say. but i voted JDG's way

Sláinte TFC
09-11-2009, 04:09 PM
wow, pretty close race...tough question. I went with JDG as long as he doesn't bail on us and we have him for years to come.

Stryker
09-11-2009, 04:10 PM
wow, pretty close race...tough question. I went with JDG as long as he doesn't bail on us and we have him for years to come.
Three and a half years to come.
:D

If a euro team does come knocking I'm sure TFC will make them pay through the nose.

TheKing7
09-11-2009, 04:11 PM
JDG.

From a TFC standpoint, grass is HUGE. But as far as "biggest news" goes (taking a broader approach with the MLS and soccer in North America), JDG is massive. Big time player coming over here and he'll hopefully make a big impact. We can never leave out Danny. Certainly the biggest week in TFC histroy.

TFC RealDeal RPB
09-11-2009, 07:33 PM
For me it's the GRASS !! Just b/c player's come and go but BMO is alway's there.

JDG is great a pick up And i can't wait to see him play

TFC07
09-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Easily grass!!!

Grass benefits more for TFC in long term because they wouldn't have a hard time of getting top quality players. Not only that, but a lot of top clubs would want to play in Toronto during summer when touring in North America. Of course, our national soccer teams will want to play most of their games in Toronto too.

Loss of DD is sad one, but it's not end of the world especially since he got a coaching job in academy. JDG is great signing in short term, but I except TFC can get better DP in the future now that we have grass.

But keep in mind that grass still needs to be approve by the city, province and federal government.

andyc
09-11-2009, 10:33 PM
I agree - grass is a long term investment in football in TO.

I love Danny and hope that JDG will be my new favourite player but in reality every player can only be effective for a moment in time.

Grass will hopefully be here for ever and provides respect for our players and a genuine authentic football experience that Toronto can be proud of!

mlsintoronto
09-11-2009, 10:57 PM
I think the biggest news is that there was a thread created with the title "Kudos to Mo".

Roogsy
09-11-2009, 11:02 PM
That thread was started a month ago! Would that still qualify as "news"?

egoodwin
09-12-2009, 12:00 AM
it's cheaper than that big ass scoreboard at ACC...

also, not sure which news is the biggest, it's all substantial news

Stryker
09-12-2009, 12:55 AM
I think the biggest news is that there was a thread created with the title "Kudos to Mo".
Having created the thread I think it'd be somewhat snakey on my part to not confess to having also made some negitive Mo posts in the past.
For the most part though he's done a great job. The draft picks have turned into solid to steller players and he managed to get us Serioux, DeRo and De Guzman without giving up any of our better players.
Fair is fair, credit where due etc etc. :)

Shakes McQueen
09-12-2009, 02:38 AM
Having created the thread I think it'd be somewhat snakey on my part to not confess to having also made some negitive Mo posts in the past.
For the most part though he's done a great job. The draft picks have turned into solid to steller players and he managed to get us Serioux, DeRo and De Guzman without giving up any of our better players.
Fair is fair, credit where due etc etc. :)

Now we just need a coach that can maximize the return on these great players, and we will hopefully be set.

- Scott

Technorgasm
09-12-2009, 05:29 AM
NEXT STEP TO DOMINATION:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3089/3100317743_ab4ff76e96_o.jpg

canadian_bhoy
09-12-2009, 07:43 AM

It's an old thread :p

Yohan
09-12-2009, 06:48 PM
i dunno which news is bigger

sheesh. i go offline for few days and the whole TFC world blows up

Cuchulain
09-12-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't think that because something is expected it should be looked at as a non event the day it happens. I went with Dichio.

twistedchinaman
09-13-2009, 05:06 AM
Like the Fixx would sing, "One thing leads to another."

DD's call of time started the whole dealie-o.