PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Rapids @ Toronto FC Pre-Game Thread

TFC USA
09-11-2009, 09:52 AM
There is a game going on tomorrow, apparently.

Will JDG be ready to play?

Will you guys sing the loudest Dichio chant ever in the 24th minute for say....5 minutes?

Is Chris Cummins going to baffle us with substitutions only he'll understand?

Will Vitti hit the post?

If we lose is our season over?

Fuck it I think we win 2-1. :scarf:

Discuss.

Lucky Strike
09-11-2009, 10:02 AM
There is a game going on tomorrow, apparently.

Will JDG be ready to play?

Will you guys sing the loudest Dichio chant ever in the 24th minute for say....5 minutes?

Is Chris Cummins going to baffle us with substitutions only he'll understand?

Will Vitti hit the post?

If we lose is our season over?

Fuck it I think we win 2-1. :scarf:

Discuss.

So it would seem.

My bet is probably.

No doubt.

All signs point to yes.

We should be so lucky if he gets that close.

*big sigh* yeah... (I already think it's too late)

I'll go with 2-1 TFC as well.

daner90
09-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Frei
Brennan Attakora Garcia Gomez
Cronin JDG Guevara Dero
Gerba Vitti

Not very good at guessing the lineup but that would be mine...

mmmikey
09-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Frei
Wynne Attakora Garcia Gomez
Cronin JDG Guevara Brennan
Gerba DeRo

i think we will see this instead cause cummins sucks..
Frei
Wynne Attakora Garcia Brennan
Robbo JDG Guevara
DeRo Barrett Vitti

Lucky Strike
09-11-2009, 10:39 AM
A week ago, I wrote the following concerning the line-up I'd put out at Colorado if I were manager. Obviously, we now have to account for Dichio's retirement and the various suspensions since I wrote it. If I were manager tomorrow, I would make the following changes to last week:

- Replace Dichio with White on the bench.
- Place Garcia in for the suspended Serioux.
- Have Gala take Garcia's place on the bench.
- Move JDG to Sanyang's position and put in Guevara in where JDG was.
- Put Fellinga on the bench to replace Guevara. It's not a direct positional replacement but he provides the best cover out of the players left unselected/suspended/injured.

3-5-2 while in possession; changing to a 5-3-2 when not in possession.

-----------DeRosario - Gerba
----Brennan - Cronin - De Guzman - Wynne
------------------Sanyang
---------Gomez - Serioux - Attakora
--------------------Frei

Bench:

Edwards (GK)
Garcia (D C)
Robinson (DM)
Guevara (M/AM C)
Vitti (M/AM C)
Barrett (M LR, ST)
Dichio (F C)

Unselected:

Fellinga
Ibrahim
White
Gala

Tactical Notes:

- DeRosario plays a bit withdrawn compared to Gerba.
- DeGuzman is utilized as a box-to-box guy linking the play from front to back as he does with the CMNT.
- Sanyang's ONLY job is to break up plays and make the easy/short pass to another midfielder.
- The backline is very much stay-at-home.
- A wide or narrow game can be played as necessary, since this formation gives us decent width.

Justifications (for things that aren't self evident - like DeRosario should start):

- The formation itself is very flexible in terms of attacking and defending.
- A packed midfield makes use of TFC's depth at these positions.
- Cronin's place could easily be taken by Vitti.
- But: Vitti and Guevara are on the bench because I think the focus should be on DeGuzman having possession going forward. Having more than one player who "demands" the ball (or at least who should be the primary possessor of the ball) in the midfield means that those players aren't used to their full potential. It's a duplication of tasks, to use a bureaucratic term. That and Guevara has been slacking lately.
- Brennan and Wynne get the nod on the wings since I find them to be the most effective. Brennan is a natural winger and Wynne, once freed of defensive responsibilities, becomes a significant threat going forward. Also, when not in possession, they act as wingbacks given their significant experience at defending.
- The bench is comprised of the best available players, who also happen to cover every position on the pitch, either directly or indirectly.

CoachGT
09-11-2009, 10:54 AM
You may also want to take Robbo off the bench - don't think he'll be available for a bit.

I'm hoping to see a really spirited effort this weekend, especially after the poor showing last weekend. Personally, I'd prefer to see Cronin in the role that is earmarked for Sanyang in the above lineup and fill his MF role with Vitti.

Lucky Strike
09-11-2009, 11:19 AM
You may also want to take Robbo off the bench - don't think he'll be available for a bit.

I'm hoping to see a really spirited effort this weekend, especially after the poor showing last weekend. Personally, I'd prefer to see Cronin in the role that is earmarked for Sanyang in the above lineup and fill his MF role with Vitti.

Yeah, it was a 50-50 thing. He's listed as questionable according to the match report, I believe. So one hand, he makes the bench, because adding Ibrahim to the selected 18 would do as much for depth, but on the other Ibrahim is fully healthy whereas Robbo is not. I chose depth, unless Robbo's injury is more severe than we're led to believe, in which case obviously I'd go with Ibbe.

Oldtimer
09-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Toledo is refereeing.

Look for at least 1 PK to be called against us.

Lucky Strike
09-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Toledo is refereeing.

Indeed.

Weather for the match: Sunny with cloudy periods with a risk of a PK. A watch has also been issued for a red card. Always stay informed by reading the latest statements from the MLS Referee Association.

Bobo
09-11-2009, 12:12 PM
If a 5 minute chant is something so incredibly special that it can only be done for DD on this occasion, we've set the bar pretty low.

Why has everyone inserted a player into their projected lineups who is not on our roster 24 hours before kickoff? Masochism seems popular around here, as if we haven't set ourselves up for disappointment enough times already. Expecting even a positive performance seems too much to ask for.

3-1 TFC :D

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Toledo is refereeing.

oh FFS he still has a job??

CoachGT
09-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Yeah, it was a 50-50 thing. He's listed as questionable according to the match report, I believe. So one hand, he makes the bench, because adding Ibrahim to the selected 18 would do as much for depth, but on the other Ibrahim is fully healthy whereas Robbo is not. I chose depth, unless Robbo's injury is more severe than we're led to believe, in which case obviously I'd go with Ibbe.

As much as he wants t to be otherwise, I expect Robbo to take the full 6 weeks to recover.

Brooker
09-11-2009, 01:54 PM
will dichio be on the sidelines in a suit or in the press box?

DOMIN8R
09-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Does anyone else question whether Mo was honest when he suggested that JDG may not be allowed to play tomorrow because of the hold up on his ITC?

Didn't we get blinsided by Conor Casey playing last Saturday when he was suppose to be out because of dental work and then suddenly the Crapids pulled a fast one. Out of nowhere Casey plays a whole 90.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a little payback coming.

flatpicker
09-11-2009, 05:34 PM
^ I hope so... I really want to see JDG in the lineup tomorrow!

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-11-2009, 05:37 PM

dont we all...we need a good performance and 3 pts...and that will happen..dispite the Ref

Lucky Strike
09-11-2009, 06:23 PM

That'd be delightfully twisted. :D

Lucky Strike
09-11-2009, 06:33 PM
http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090911&content_id=6907426&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

The Rapids suffered further bad luck this week when first-choice goalkeeper Pickens suffered a knee injury in training. Head coach Gary Smith said it looks as if Pickens will be out for at least two weeks as a result.

Things are looking up.

ArmenJBX
09-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Ah fuck it, I'm feeling a 4-1 win here, Chad Barrett breaks out and Pablo Vitti with the last goal of the game.

(hides under flame proof blanket.)

TFC_Junky
09-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Does anyone else question whether Mo was honest when he suggested that JDG may not be allowed to play tomorrow because of the hold up on his ITC?

Didn't we get blinsided by Conor Casey playing last Saturday when he was suppose to be out because of dental work and then suddenly the Crapids pulled a fast one. Out of nowhere Casey plays a whole 90.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a little payback coming.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I heard it. I seriously hope JDG is in the line up. :scarf:

Brooker
09-11-2009, 07:59 PM
i was under the impression that he hasn't played since the Gold Cup....

is he even fit?

jloome
09-11-2009, 08:15 PM
That link is to Steve Davis's column, which says he's stil pending his INt'l transfer certificate from FIFA. Depends on when the deal was actually done, but if the request when it today, we'll be lucky if he plays next week. FIFA is not known for acting quickly on these.

DOMIN8R
09-11-2009, 08:33 PM
"Julian de Guzman will be available for Saturday's match against Colorado"

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090911&content_id=6907742&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp (http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090911&content_id=6907742&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp)

This article was written at 5 PM today on the MLS website.

"Here's hoping we see de Guzman sooner rather than later, pending approval of that sometimes-tricky international transfer certificate."

icecoldbeer
09-11-2009, 10:09 PM
"Julian de Guzman will be available for Saturday's match against Colorado"

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090911&content_id=6907742&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp (http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090911&content_id=6907742&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp)

This article was written at 5 PM today on the MLS website.

Hmm, maybe Mo is getting Colorado back for throwing Casey at us at the last minute last week.

poppamidnight
09-11-2009, 10:15 PM
-----------DeRosario - Gerba
----Amado - Cronin - De Guzman - Vitti
___________Robbo
_____Brennan - Attakora - Wynne
____________Frei

And I FFS want to see O.B.W. Play!!!!! Subbed in for Gerba 70-80 min mark.
And I don't want to see Barrett on the pitch at any time other than warmups!

Knowing Cummins, he'll start Barrett as our lone striker.....
....supastarrrrrrrr!!!!

jloome
09-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Paul says in another thread the transfer certificate wasn't available in time, so he definitely won't be playing tomorrow.

Also, Amado is questionable, according to CC's intereview on Fan 590 last night. I assume Serioux and Sanyang are both suspended. Robbo is injured. Holy patchwork, Batman.

--------------Frei---------------
Wynne--Attakora--Garcia--Brennan
-------------Cronin--------------
------DeRo----------Vitti-----
-----------Guevara--------------
--------White---Gerba------------

Roogsy
09-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Yep...JDG is ruled out for tomorrow.

White up top? I am not feeling it. He hasn't done anything to impress me enough to put him in the biggest game of the season.

FluSH
09-11-2009, 11:17 PM
--------Barett---Gerba------------

(fixed)

Although I don't know about Guevara... with all the WC games... and the travelling and the home cooking... how match ready and mentally ready can he be?

He might be a liability tomorrow!

But who's our option instead of Guevara...

P.S. If Vitti hits the wood again tomorrow I think I might just lose it!!

Hooligan69
09-11-2009, 11:27 PM
I'll go ahead and predict a 1-1 draw as the final score.

Brooker
09-12-2009, 10:16 AM
anybody know if Dichio will be on the sidelines or in the press box today?

billyfly
09-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Leaving now for the tailgate. See ya down there peeps.

jloome
09-12-2009, 10:57 AM
--------Barett---Gerba------------

(fixed)

Although I don't know about Guevara... with all the WC games... and the travelling and the home cooking... how match ready and mentally ready can he be?

He might be a liability tomorrow!

But who's our option instead of Guevara...

P.S. If Vitti hits the wood again tomorrow I think I might just lose it!!

Hmm, OB White, five shots, one goal, in which he had to create the space.

CB? 4 goals on 46 shots. What, you figure he's due?

Guevara's an interesting situation. If he's out, I'd go with

-----------------Frei-------------------
--------Attakora--Gomez--Garcia--------
Wynne---------------------------Brennan
------------Cronin------Vitti--------------
----------------Derosario------------------
-----------White ------Gerba-----------------

The Fellinga issue is interesting. Kid hasn't had a sniff yet after being so impressive in his trial. Maybe he's dogging it now that he has a contract, since it's a short termer.

Sure could use a decent left back right now though, so we can use Jimmy up.

poppamidnight
09-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Legit Question: Why are so many people putting Barrett in their starting lineups?

...Is it because you guys expect Cummins irrational lineups?
Or do you legitimately want Barrett to start?

Am I waaaay off base for hoping to see an OBW-Gerba combination up front?
Have they played together yet? (if so did it go bad?)

...excuse the cluelessness in regards to this on my part... Recently got back from 2 months in Southeast Asia, so I have yet to see O.B.W. play, and haven't seen a Gerba start yet.

ArmenJBX
09-12-2009, 11:17 AM
It's because Chad Barrett is gunna be amazing today. 2 goals for him today.

Bars92
09-12-2009, 11:48 AM
does anyone know if its just the back of 110 thats a supporters section?

I don't want to be sitting for this match.:scarf:

Jay1974
09-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Yep, just the back. I was disappointed to be sitting for in my row 9 tickets a few weeks ago.

Bars92
09-12-2009, 11:56 AM
^ I will be moving to the back then, if there's space!