PDA

View Full Version : Barrett- not the problem but the solution

trane
09-11-2009, 09:18 AM
I read the posts of a wise man of these board, and I finlay came to the conclusion, JDG and De Ro are not the answer, Barrett is. We just have to be patient, give him the rest of the five year plan, two years, and he will develop into a striker, all the signs are there. He is one game from braking big.

Shaughno
09-11-2009, 09:20 AM
You tell'm trane! :lol:

Kevvv
09-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Barrett's the solution.

What's the question?

trane
09-11-2009, 09:25 AM
^Why are we shit?

redcard
09-11-2009, 10:32 AM
^Why are we shit?

Question: Why are we shit?

Answer: Barrett

sounds right to me.

Redcoe15
09-11-2009, 10:36 AM
I read the posts of a wise man of these board, and I finlay came to the conclusion, JDG and De Ro are not the answer, Barrett is. We just have to be patient, give him the rest of the five year plan, two years, and he will develop into a striker, all the signs are there. He is one game from braking big.
:picard: We're fucked!

VPjr
09-11-2009, 12:49 PM
I don't think anyone in the TFC technical department would agree with you Trane.

Chad is something they are stuck with.

BFin
09-11-2009, 12:52 PM
you have now joined the long list of useless thread starters.

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-11-2009, 12:53 PM
^Why are we shit?

answer we cant score goals...OUR whole offence and midfield can take the blame...not just having one player take all the shit...

DreFuss
09-11-2009, 01:04 PM
I threw up in my mouth a llittle

jabbronies
09-11-2009, 01:05 PM
This thread is fucked!
It states that Barrett is the answer and that TFC has a technical department..

trane
09-11-2009, 01:14 PM
you have now joined the long list of useless thread starters.

You hurt my feelings.

Nestease
09-11-2009, 01:30 PM
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6166/12066359.jpg

trane
09-11-2009, 01:32 PM
^ Nice.

Sonny Cheeba
09-11-2009, 01:37 PM
this thread needs some big baby jesus.
4ITLNzPoEqs

scooter
09-11-2009, 02:13 PM
you guys are being a bit hard on chad
he has a good work ethic
you must see how frustrated he gets everytime he misses the net
he runs a million miles a game
what more do you folks want ? huh

Cashcleaner
09-11-2009, 02:19 PM
^ A goal or two.

:D

craigtfc
09-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Barrett couldn't score if he had a hand full of pardons in a womens prison.

BFin
09-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Let me analyze this thread:

Topic - Barrett can't score, he's the problem.
General Consensus - Barrett is garbage because he can't score

Based on this wouldn't that then make Vitti worse since he has less goals AND assits in the same amount of playing time? (Please save the Vitti can handle the ball nonsense...because he hasn't done much of anything with the ball in the last while, and his one assist on the year might help back that up.)

cy43
09-11-2009, 03:27 PM
I'll show you assits bfin... lovely assits,

ass... its good!

BFin
09-11-2009, 03:29 PM
LOL nicely done Young.

MFG1
09-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Chad Cunningham? or Jeff Barrett?
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/demotivators_2072_5322646

Pachuco
09-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Let me analyze this thread:

Topic - Barrett can't score, he's the problem.
General Consensus - Barrett is garbage because he can't score

Based on this wouldn't that then make Vitti worse since he has less goals AND assits in the same amount of playing time? (Please save the Vitti can handle the ball nonsense...because he hasn't done much of anything with the ball in the last while, and his one assist on the year might help back that up.)

Well considering Vitti hasn't played as striker 1 single minute this year, I'm not sure how you can compare the two.

EDIT: Why not shit on Cronin if we are only going to see stats? I mean, he's played more minutes then Vitti AND Barrett and has 1 goal?

BTW - I love Cronin, just trying to make a point.

BFin
09-11-2009, 03:42 PM
And my point is that this thread was started because of one stat...goals.

Apples to apples...Barret has double the goals and three times the assists. The logic of the thread is lost.

Not one single minute? Can you really be 100% sure of that? Proof of this please.

BFin
09-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Thought I would look into it to save time.

Columbus Crew - March 28th - Started and played a full 90 at forward
Seattle Sounders - April 4th - Started at forward, and was replaced in the 85th minute.
(No stats for April 11 game)
FC Dallas - April 19th - Came on as a substitute forward in the 65th minute

Notice a trend...

May 13th - F
May 16th - F
May 23rd - F (sub)

Ladies Love Julius James
09-11-2009, 03:51 PM
I love Trane (no homo)

but he's right.. If Barrett was used effieciently he would be a great player.

example: Montreal.

Jack
09-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Chad Barrett is a "striker"

Shouldn't you expect more goals out of a striker? In 21 starts? He's played the most minutes of any forward on the team.

I'm not comparing him to any other individual player right now.

I'm saying, as a striker who has played the most minutes of any other striker on our team, Chad Barrett is a disappointment.

Ladies Love Julius James
09-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Trane's taking the piss LOL

craigtfc
09-11-2009, 03:55 PM
I would rather play with 10 men.

Hitcho
09-11-2009, 04:02 PM

Shouldn't you expect more goals out of a striker? In 21 starts? He's played the most minutes of any forward on the team.

I'm saying, as a striker who has played the most minutes of any other striker on our team, Chad Barrett is a disappointment.

In fairness he has played a lot out wide. it;s not liek has spent the entire season as the lone striker or even in a front two pairing. he;s done well at times ni the 4-3-3 as an unorthodox winger. but still, i'd hope for more goals. then again, when is that statement not true in football?!

DangerRed
09-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Some of the comments in this thread barely make sense. I think more than a few people's brains have melted because of all the JDG excitement...:rolleyes:

Jack
09-11-2009, 04:06 PM
In fairness he has played a lot out wide. it;s not liek has spent the entire season as the lone striker or even in a front two pairing. he;s done well at times ni the 4-3-3 as an unorthodox winger. but still, i'd hope for more goals. then again, when is that statement not true in football?!
True, but in all seriousness, the number of gilt-edged chances he has missed are enough to cause anyone to rip out their hair.

Cashcleaner
09-11-2009, 04:16 PM
And my point is that this thread was started because of one stat...goals.

Apples to apples...Barret has double the goals and three times the assists. The logic of the thread is lost.

Not one single minute? Can you really be 100% sure of that? Proof of this please.

Yeah, but Vitti is kinda shit too. At least, I'm not all that impressed by him.

T0R0NT0 FC
09-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Yeah, but Vitti is kinda shit too. At least, I'm not all that impressed by him.

The only difference is with Vitti there is still hope. Atleast he can hit the post, while Barrett can barely miss the net without it being a throw-in... :o

"THE PAGE"
09-11-2009, 04:29 PM
who cares if he has a hard work ethic, if you cant finnish majority of chances then your not a good striker but just a good athelete! and he sucks if you ask me!

DreFuss
09-11-2009, 04:50 PM
IF you are being serious about this post and not being sarcastic, I’ll give you a few things.

1. Good on you for not giving up on our players.
2. It’s hard to argue that Chad has absolutely no potential.
3. I also feel like the scoring drought is not for a lack of effort on Barretts part.

That’s about where it ends.

In terms of strikers I much rather be patient developing Ali G and OB wan. IMO they are the players we should be focusing on. On paper TFC is probably the best team in the MLS. On paper I wouldn’t have Chad on my starting 11. The problem is as the season developed he slowly moved down the food chain.

He’s been inconsistent the whole season, you can’t debate that. One good game will not make him a consistent player.

Beyond the debate on which players to develop, we need goals right away. If TFC want to make the playoffs we got to put the goal in the back of the net. If Chad starts scoring awesome, but based on how he’s played I’d be really surprised.

If were divided on Vitti vs. Barrett, I’ll say this: Barrett is really good at getting open in a good position and missing. Vitti is really good at running through 2 or 3 defenders and then missing.
In all honesty I’m in the Vitti camp.

trane
09-11-2009, 05:01 PM

Bottom line. This thread was started at someone suggestion that he should keep on playing at striker for the rest of the seaon. He is not a good striker.

I have said it again I like Barrett in other roles. I WILL PUKE IF I SEE HIM AS A STRIKER AGAIN. HOW MANY ATTEMPTS DOES HE GET?

VPjr
09-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Barrett has been inconsistent his entire career.

Frankly, so has Vitti.

At $550K Combined, you have to wonder if its worth keeping either of them around past the end of the season.

trane
09-11-2009, 05:09 PM
^ I think they both have usefull qualities, but in different roles. Can they learn them, Vitti playing more as a CM/AM and Barrett as an out and out winger, we will see.

People say that Barrett is not good enough of a croses to play on the wing, I tend to agree that his corssing is lacking, as is the teams and the leagues. However, I still like the runs he makes from out there, and is able to attack the box from wide positions. Which creat chances. I just never want to see the ball at his foot when it is time to finish.

BakaGaijin
09-11-2009, 05:10 PM

Frankly, so has Vitti.

At $550K Combined, you have to wonder if its worth keeping either of them around past the end of the season.

You can add Carl Robinson to the list of overpaid players not worth hanging onto any longer as well.

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-11-2009, 05:17 PM
You can add Carl Robinson to the list of overpaid players not worth hanging onto any longer as well.

People said that about Cunningham last year and now hes in the top goal scorers this season...You cant give up on players when they are struggling, they will bounce back...maybe JDG might be the player
that can get the Balls to Barrett where others could not.

trane
09-11-2009, 05:21 PM
^ Mighty are you serious, Barrett is not getting it done because of service? HAve you ever watched footy, have you ever watched Barrett, he has had chances and he has blown them, over and over again. His problem infront of the net is not service. Is he your cousin or something?

Beach_Red
09-11-2009, 06:55 PM

Frankly, so has Vitti.

Vitti is on loan, isn't he? It wouldn't be the worst thing if he didn't come back next year.

The tough thing about Barrett is he fills an American roster spot so he would likely have to replaced by another American.

BFin
09-11-2009, 07:32 PM

And produced the most goals out of any forward on the team.
My point is...don't be so one sided.
Our forwards as a core have been shit this year.
Why don't we say the strikers are the problem instead of just one guy who hasn't played striker in over a month.

FluSH
09-11-2009, 07:53 PM
+10pts

For anyone that knows the Barrett chant...

VPjr
09-11-2009, 07:57 PM
^ I think they both have usefull qualities, but in different roles. Can they learn them, Vitti playing more as a CM/AM and Barrett as an out and out winger, we will see.

People say that Barrett is not good enough of a croses to play on the wing, I tend to agree that his corssing is lacking, as is the teams and the leagues. However, I still like the runs he makes from out there, and is able to attack the box from wide positions. Which creat chances. I just never want to see the ball at his foot when it is time to finish.

how many central midfield players does TFC need? how many more players will be played completely out of position.

Barrett is what he is...an excellent athlete but not a footballer. he'll be a 4-7 goal scorer for the rest of his MLS career. He will frustrate coaches wherever he goes.

Vitti is a very skilled forward who has scored all of 2 goals in almost 3 years and has bounced from club to club, riding the coattails of his u20 hype. he's very talented but something is missing.

of the two, i'd always prefer to have the player who has footballing skills. I'm not as fascinated by raw athleticism as some are, meaning i have little use for barrett (and Wynne for that matter)

the team needs to find players who are actually experienced at playing the positions where they have the most glaring holes:

- a left side midfielder (unless brennan is moved to left mid, meaning there would be a need for a left back)

- a right side midfielder (wynne can't play this position...)

- a left back (brennan can't play this position....if he doesn't get moved to left mid, he needs to be released or become a reserve)

, a right back (worst case scenario is keeping Wynne at this position but i'd prefer to see the end of the Wynne era...he is what he is)

- a striker (if Vitti stays, there is adequate competition at this position but there is not a single player that breeds much confidence. Can Gerba ever be focused on his fitness to be a real threat to score 10-12 goals per year?)

- a centre back ( garcia has to go...too slow. Serioux is ok but he has regressed as the season has progressed. Gomez is still too raw to rely on for 30 games. Nana is the only bonafide CB this team has. they need 1 more legit CB with some experience to provide depth and competition...could Robinson become that option?)

jloome
09-11-2009, 08:01 PM

Nice sentiment, but not really true. When has he played well wide? He works hard wide, but it's the same result as at striker: he can't pass or cross, either.

Look, I really like his work ethic and his movement off the ball is very good, because he manages to isolate defenders one-on-one and beat them. But he just doesn't get it done when it comes to delivering the ball.

I dunno, maybe he can tackle. Maybe they can move him to fullback, if they're so intent on saving him.

jloome
09-11-2009, 08:04 PM
how many central midfield players does TFC need? how many more players will be played completely out of position.

Barrett is what he is...an excellent athlete but not a footballer. he'll be a 4-7 goal scorer for the rest of his MLS career. He will frustrate coaches wherever he goes.

Vitti is a very skilled forward who has scored all of 2 goals in almost 3 years and has bounced from club to club, riding the coattails of his u20 hype. he's very talented but something is missing.

of the two, i'd always prefer to have the player who has footballing skills. I'm not as fascinated by raw athleticism as some are, meaning i have little use for barrett (and Wynne for that matter)

the team needs to find players who are actually experienced at playing the positions where they have the most glaring holes:

- a left side midfielder (unless brennan is moved to left mid, meaning there would be a need for a left back)

- a right side midfielder (wynne can't play this position...)

- a left back (brennan can't play this position....if he doesn't get moved to left mid, he needs to be released or become a reserve)

, a right back (worst case scenario is keeping Wynne at this position but i'd prefer to see the end of the Wynne era...he is what he is)

- a striker (if Vitti stays, there is adequate competition at this position but there is not a single player that breeds much confidence. Can Gerba ever be focused on his fitness to be a real threat to score 10-12 goals per year?)

- a centre back ( garcia has to go...too slow. Serioux is ok but he has regressed as the season has progressed. Gomez is still too raw to rely on for 30 games. Nana is the only bonafide CB this team has. they need 1 more legit CB with some experience to provide depth and competition...could Robinson become that option?)

Ding ding. We have a winner.

Funnily, if you look at comprehensive breakdowns of our roster issues over the last two seasons, these are such prevailingly common opinions (up to and including Jason DeVos, who would know) that it's stunning people still think Mo is doing a good job.

Doing a good job of scouting. That's about it.

In priority, we need
a) A dominating centre half.
b) A left fullback
c) A striker. Only third because we have the midfield goal bonus from GUevara and Dero (who has done OK as a striker in some games, let's face it.)

jloome
09-11-2009, 08:11 PM
And produced the most goals out of any forward on the team.
My point is...don't be so one sided.
Our forwards as a core have been shit this year.
Why don't we say the strikers are the problem instead of just one guy who hasn't played striker in over a month.

No, Dero's played forward almost all year, so that's not even close. Plus, he has four goals on 45 shots, and less than 50% of his shots have been on target.

By professional standards, that's pathetic and utterly indefensible.

We only have a "core" of three forwards: DeRo, Chad and Vitti. Vitti only has 28 shots, and has been equally weak, scoring 2.

So what this is really about is VItti and Barrett not getting it done. The only other strikers we have are White and Gerba, both of whom at least netted in short order, and yet neither of whom gets to play much.

BFin
09-11-2009, 11:20 PM
No, Dero's played forward almost all year, so that's not even close. Plus, he has four goals on 45 shots, and less than 50% of his shots have been on target.

By professional standards, that's pathetic and utterly indefensible.

We only have a "core" of three forwards: DeRo, Chad and Vitti. Vitti only has 28 shots, and has been equally weak, scoring 2.

So what this is really about is VItti and Barrett not getting it done. The only other strikers we have are White and Gerba, both of whom at least netted in short order, and yet neither of whom gets to play much.
I must have missed this. I apologize.
LEt me look it up like Vitti and report back to you.

BFin
09-11-2009, 11:22 PM
@ KC - AM
@ CLB - M
SEA - M

That's just the first three games of the season.

FluSH
09-11-2009, 11:25 PM
^^^

Is that for DeRO? they had him playing musical chairs for awhile however mainly fwd

ag futbol
09-12-2009, 08:56 AM
I'd say my opinion is around Vpjr's but not quite as positive. There are plenty of ways Chad is falling short, besides scoring goals. Really only having one good foot comes to mind.

Now that's not to say i'm sticking up for any of the other forwards on our roster. Because they've definately had their issues as well.

I'd second our need for wingers (badly). Enough of taking the guys who failed up front and throwing them out wide. The crossing quality has been consistantly poor since day one. Pretty bad, considering this is a team that often looks to target the big man in the box.

TorCanSoc
09-12-2009, 09:17 AM
All that hard work, just to be in the right position, at the right time... and not connect. How many times does this need to occur? What about his missed opportunities, we could have a 5 minute video montage of those. At the end of it, a 30-second stretch of horrifying missed "gimmies".

No one else on the team could have such a highlight package. When DeRo missed that shot on Keller v. Seattle, my first thought was "Man! Barrett is rubbing off on DeRo". Sad.

Having said all that, he can pot them in, with his one dimensional skill. Back to goal, turn, shoot from distance, catch the keeper standing. Those can handcuff a keeper, when the shot is not expected, and its hit hard and placed well, it will makethe goalie look stupid. Barrett does it well. If he did it 10 times a season, we'd love him for it.

Those howlers though man, those howlers tatoo this guy as a dud.

gtaguy
09-12-2009, 09:51 AM
maybe JDG might be the player
that can get the Balls to Barrett where others could not.

the problem has not been getting the ball to Barrett its his lack of finishing..

FAIL....