PDA

View Full Version : Give the keys to Dasovich & Dichio

Damien
09-10-2009, 10:40 AM
I know im going to get an earful about the revolving door of coaches that have come through this club... but I think maybe it's time (or possibly at seasons end) that we give the head coaching reigns to Dasovich with Dichio on his side. I think maybe Cummins has tried to deploy too much English style arial football and not enough possession football.

This team has a framework of great players but not enough meshing has happened. I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts though.

Shaughno
09-10-2009, 10:41 AM
I think it would be bad for Dasovic to toss him to the wolves at this point. He WILL be a good coach, no doubt. I personally, would rather keep him behind the scenes until he's ready to step up himself.

DangerRed
09-10-2009, 10:42 AM
I think we wait till season's end. We'd miss the playoffs for sure if we swapped leadership now, whatever you think of the current coach.

Switching coaches now would throw yet another wrench into the huffing, puffing, squeaking machine that is the Toronto Football Club.

Damien
09-10-2009, 10:43 AM
I think it would be bad for Dasovic to toss him to the wolves at this point. He WILL be a good coach, no doubt. I personally, would rather keep him behind the scenes until he's ready to step up himself.

True, but in your opinion was Cummins tossed to the wolves this season?

Steve
09-10-2009, 10:46 AM

Sadly, I would say yes. Cummins I think is great at developing the youth players, and has done well at that, but I don't think he's been ready (tactically) to be thrown into a head coach job. Unfortunately, instead of staying an assistant for a few more years under a good coach, he's been given the reigns. Hopefully if we get a more experienced coach in he'll be content to sit back down, but I'm not sure (it's hard to be demoted).

Phil
09-10-2009, 10:47 AM
I think we are wating until the end of the season before some MLS coaches become available.

It does look like Cummins has lost the room, very similar to what Carver had happen.

Shaughno
09-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Sadly, I would say yes. Cummins I think is great at developing the youth players, and has done well at that, but I don't think he's been ready (tactically) to be thrown into a head coach job. Unfortunately, instead of staying an assistant for a few more years under a good coach, he's been given the reigns. Hopefully if we get a more experienced coach in he'll be content to sit back down, but I'm not sure (it's hard to be demoted).

Agreed.

AL-MO
09-10-2009, 10:49 AM
I am not big Dasovic.

Wait until the offseason and try to pick a more experienced coach.

Shaughno
09-10-2009, 10:50 AM
I am not big Dasovic.

Wait until the offseason and try to pick a more experienced coach.

He's good tactically. I don't think he's anywhere near ready yet though. Give him another 3-5 years of experience, then we can talk.

I agree though. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have Steve Nichol here.

poppamidnight
Im just not sure on this one...

Cummins is for sure out the door soon. He has no clue what's going on

I see Dichio as our eventual head coach.... It just can't be soon with this core roster (which he's played with) - since they know him to much as a teammate/friend.

I like Daso - I'm just not sure he'd be ready for this. He's more or less a "co-coach" with Cummins at this point, and if your evaluating them, Both Fail.

I think we need a new coach in here, period.
Someone that carries alot of respect, and has a big reputation.
And when they come, I'd like to see them mentor Dichio along in the coaching ranks.

...Maybe put Robbo as the coach of academy?

Stryker
I have no idea who should coach this team but IMO it isn't Cummins.
He's every bit as bad if not worse with tactics and subs than Carver was.

I guess if I had my way I'd probley like to see Paul Mariner offered the position with Dichio assisting. Get rid of the left overs from the Carver era all together.
Sadly I'm going to predict that we'll miss the playoffs and Cummins will still be back next year.

Roogsy
09-10-2009, 10:54 AM

Nichol would mean playoffs FOR SURE.

And definitely a run at the MLS Cup. He is a master with working with a little and making a lot out of it. And knows the MLS inside and out.

He'd be my pick.

Shaughno
09-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Exactly. Give him the best midfield in the league and BAM playoffs, easy.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-10-2009, 11:01 AM

yep im with ya on that as well

H Bomb
09-10-2009, 11:02 AM
I am not big Dasovic.

It's true, you're lil' Alex

Flipityflu
09-10-2009, 11:03 AM

yes, yes, yes.

ensco
09-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Great idea.

Mo would never do it. Too much career risk.

He'd be the only GM in North American sports history to take out two different coaches in season (I'm guessing this must have happened in Serie A or La Liga, probably lots of times, but I can't think of an example of it).

S_D
09-10-2009, 11:04 AM

Actually, didn't him and Winsper demand that he be thrown to the wolves or they were gone when Carver got axed? He brought this on himself if that is the case.

jloome
09-10-2009, 11:11 AM
None of the above. We need a disciplinarian, a Fergie type. Said it before, say it again, Holger Osieck. Good tactician, steely, doesn't put up with horseshit.

Chevy
09-10-2009, 11:13 AM
None of the above. We need a disciplinarian, a Fergie type. Said it before, say it again, Holger Osieck. Good tactician, steely, doesn't put up with horseshit.

+1. Daso and Dichio, who may be excellent coaches in good time, are not right for this situation. Based on our projected 2010 lineup there is no reason this side cannot be a top 4 club with the right coach.

Oblio2
09-10-2009, 11:17 AM
English long ball?
Not anymore...we play creative now...just ask Croatia!

Flipityflu
09-10-2009, 11:31 AM
English long ball?

heeheeeheeeheeeheeheeee

v00d00daddy
09-10-2009, 11:44 AM
English long ball?

Thanks to????????????
Hahaha.....all kidding aside...they looked good yesterday......

As for the topic at hand....meh....

I think TFC needs a lot more experience at the coaching position than Daso and Dichio can provide....even 5 years from now.

Please...no more rookie coaches.

TFC07
09-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Stephen Hart FTW!

Hitcho
09-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Way, way too early. Especially for Danny.

Bring in an established MLS coach with a good track record. Doesn't have to be someone who has won the MLS Cup (I'd take Nicol in a heart beat) just someone who knows how to put out a functioning, organised, effective MLS team and get the best from his team as a unit.

Besides which coaches have a tendency to be let go if things go south (ta ta Cummins) and I would hate to see that happen to Danny. Let him stay in the background and develop the youth talent and assist the first team striekrs while also doing his ambassadorial role for the club. Once he's done that for a long time (assuming he does well at it) and if he then wants one final stab at the top job before he retires properly, then give him the keys. But only then, and only on his terms.

I'd also like to keep Daso as a coach rather than a manager.

Bring in Nicol as head coach and give him a proper run at the job. Get it done Mo.

TFC07
09-10-2009, 11:56 AM
When does Nicol's contract end? I don't think NE Revs will let him go.

Hitcho
09-10-2009, 12:00 PM
I would agree with you, but JonO claims there have been rumblings coming out of NE about this being his final year. Not sure what he's basing that on, but I am hoping it's true.

JDG
Nicol
Grass
North Stand

If you'd asked me about any of those a few months ago I would have laughed my arse off. now, I wouldn't bet money against any of them. How likely they all are I am not sure, maybe not very, but maybe one or more of them will be in place next season. The very fact we can talk about this stuff without choking on our own vomit is a very, very positive step I think.

SanStarko
09-10-2009, 12:23 PM
So we appointed Carver, who was just an assistant previously, and he failed.

We appointed Cummins, who was an assistant, and he failed.

So the new idea is to promote another assistant to the head coach position?

We need someone with experience of being a head coach, we can't just keep giving guys their first chance of being a head coach and then watch as they fail.

jloome
09-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Don't think Nicol would ever come here with Mo as GM. He'd want both roles, like Bruce Arena in LA (and most other teams, I believe), so he could pick his own players.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Exactly. Give him the best midfield in the league and BAM playoffs, easy.

and maybe bring Twellman along with him....:yum:

Fort York Redcoat
09-10-2009, 12:36 PM
wait till end of season for me.

Steve
09-10-2009, 12:41 PM

Very much agreed. We've had too many "player's coaches". That's fine if you have a good system already in place, but we don't. We need a coach who will come in with a brilliant tactical mind, and MAKE the players do what he wants. It's time to bring in a hardass, can't be any worse than what we have now.

(and I agree we need an experienced head coach. Preferably someone from within MLS, but if not, we're in a decent position to try someone from another country, since we already have Mo who, love him or hate him, seems to know MLS better than anyone else)

Oldtimer
09-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Don't think Nicol would ever come here with Mo as GM. He'd want both roles, like Bruce Arena in LA (and most other teams, I believe), so he could pick his own players.

Toronto is about the only city he'd be willing to go that has a GM. Nichol and MoJo are longtime friends.

joel
09-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Ridiculous. Dichio is coaching kids and now he should coach TFC. Maybe he should pay his dues and prove himself before he gets anything. Danny isn't stupid, even if TFC was dumb enough to offer him the job he would be smart enough to say no. Several years too early.

Dasovic needs more experience.

ArmenJBX
09-10-2009, 03:03 PM
What are some previous MLS coaches that are free right now?

Oldtimer
09-10-2009, 03:24 PM
What are some previous MLS coaches that are free right now?

No one of note is free right now. The time to look is after the season ends.

ArmenJBX
09-10-2009, 03:29 PM
gotcha :)

CretanBull
09-10-2009, 03:50 PM
The best coach in the world can't change the make-up of this team, and that's our problem. No doubt, we have a lot of talent on our squad but we can't put together a starting XI where everyone is playing in their natural position.

If this were hockey and the GM put together a team of 11 left wingers, 7 defensemen and 2 goalies no one would blame the coach for the team's poor showing.

Shway
09-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Toronto needs a south american style coach, or even just a coach who will teach the possession game since we have the players, that can only play the style.

I think cummins should still be apart of the organization, however he should be assistant coach, or coach of the reservers.

or wait is there a reserves?:)

Sullivan
09-10-2009, 04:34 PM
I look at the remaining last 6 games, I have no confidence with CC in charge.

09/12 - Saturday Colorado Rapids
09/19 - Saturday at Los Angeles Galaxy
09/26 - Saturday at Chicago Fire
10/10 - Saturday San Jose Earthquakes
10/17 - Saturday Real Salt Lake
10/24 - Saturday at New York Red Bulls

At best maybe we get 3 from SJE.

CC knows he's done at season's end; he had his shot and the team didn't respond. Mo owes CC nothing. With 6 games left, let Dasovic take over and make changes. It screams desperation but it gives ND an opportunity to acquire experience with zero pressure and shake the room up.
ND will still be back next year as an assistant.

Remember, New York hit for 2 wins since they changed managers.

Sullivan
09-10-2009, 04:36 PM
I think cummins should still be apart of the organization, however he should be assistant coach, or coach of the reservers.

or wait is there a reserves?:)

He won't stay; he's gone ... back to an English club setup.

BakaGaijin
09-10-2009, 05:08 PM
I could never stand Dasovic as a player......always seemed like a whiney bitch when he was on the field. I can't imagine he would make a good coach.

joel
09-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Toronto needs a south american style coach, or even just a coach who will teach the possession game since we have the players, that can only play the style.

I really don't thionk we have the players to play a possession game. They get lazy way too early in the game. The defenders boot the ball away, because either they don't listen or the mid doesn't give them any options. I wouldn't blame coaching completely.