PDA

View Full Version : Campaign: Bring Back The Blizzard on July 1

Blizzard
06-08-2008, 12:33 PM
A campaign (albeit in its embryonic stage) has been started by myself, a magazine publisher, an insurrectionist ;) and a print reporter to convince the esteemed Paul Beirne and TFC to wear Toronto Blizzard uniforms for the July 1st Canada Cup match versus the Vancouver Whitecaps.

We have already received approval and encouragement from Joe Parolini, the owner of the Toronto Blizzard trademark so now we need your support from the grassroots level!

I am hoping that we can also add the Blizzard alumni to the event in order to honour the club that existed from 1979 to 1993.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Blizzard_%28NASL%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Blizzard_%281986-1993%29

Thanks for your support!

db

MisterMacphisto
06-08-2008, 12:37 PM
I think this would be really, REALLY cool. I bet there are a lot of fans who are not even aware of Toronto's soccer history. This would be an amazing homage in my opinion. Idea has my 100% support!

justin
06-08-2008, 12:40 PM
neat idea, i think that'd be cool. do you have any photos of the old blizzard strip?

Cambridge_Red
06-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Yeah.... I'm sure the MLS would love that idea..

It would be great I agree, but I highly doubt it will happen. Maybe a Blizzard style uniform could work. (I would buy one) :)

justin
06-08-2008, 12:43 PM

It would be great I agree, but I highly doubt it will happen. Maybe a Blizzard style uniform could work. (I would buy one) :)

^its not an MLS game, its the canada cup match against vancouver

MisterMacphisto
06-08-2008, 12:53 PM

I think MLS would (or at least should) love it. I think it would get some more good PR for the game. Maybe Vancouver could go old school for the game too:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/01/Originalcapslogo.gif

Those who forget their history are doomed to repeat it. :)

Keyman
06-08-2008, 12:55 PM
This would be an awesome idea. I'll post this on my site. Is there anything else I can do?

olegunnar
06-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Why is it a good idea?

Different team. Different league. Different owners. What's the reason for changing our kit for a day?

Maybe for the NBA finals game tonight the Lakers could wear Sparks jerseys! You know same sport, same city?

Jack
06-08-2008, 01:01 PM
I'll bring it up at the meeting on Thursday.

TFC OZZ
06-08-2008, 01:02 PM
That's a cool idea.

olegunnar
06-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Maybe next year in the NFL the Eagles could wear Stars jerseys for a game. You know the USFL team that folded?

That would be the same as TFC wearing a Blizzard kit.

Honestly...besides "cool" which is debateable, what would be the reasons for wearing another team's kit?

Jack
06-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Maybe next year in the NFL the Eagles could wear Stars jerseys for a game. You know the USFL team that folded?

Honestly...besides "cool" which is debateable, what would be the reasons for wearing another team's kit?
It's just a nod to the history of the sport in Toronto.

I'm not as enthusiastic about the idea as some, but I think anything that helps to establish more tradition in Toronto around this sport is a good thing. Blizzard was one of the names seriously considered for TFC, right?

Sounders kept their name because of the tradition behind it.

olegunnar
06-08-2008, 01:13 PM

I'm not as enthusiastic about the idea as some, but I think anything that helps to establish more tradition in Toronto around this sport is a good thing. Blizzard was one of the names seriously considered for TFC, right?

Fair enough.
My intital reaction was that it's a weird idea, and one that will never fly, and since there were only "that's cool" replies I thought I'd ask if there was a more tangible reason.

Flipityflu
06-08-2008, 01:15 PM
i think this is a cool idea...for next season. how exactly are all the retro jerseys and stuff supposed to be produced in less than a month? of course, there aren't many details here, but that would be my first question.

CoachGT
06-08-2008, 01:15 PM
The Blizzard wore a red kit - I just bought one and it looks pretty cool.

MisterMacphisto
06-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Why is it a good idea?

Different team. Different league. Different owners. What's the reason for changing our kit for a day?

Maybe for the NBA finals game tonight the Lakers could wear Sparks jerseys! You know same sport, same city?

NBA analogy is not the same in my opinion

This isn't an MLS game. We're playing in a new tournament against fellow Canadian teams... Vancouver Whitecaps being an old NASL team as well. There is an aspect of soccer history in Toronto that probably a lot of fans don't know about. BMO field is pretty much on on the spot where the Blizzard used to play.

Its not a perfect scenario, but it would be a really neat homage to Toronto's soccer past and a historic event at BMO to be playing fellow Canadian teams. Those who forget their history...

ExiledRed
06-08-2008, 01:21 PM
We're not the Blizzard, though.

We're not the evolution of the Blizzard either.

I do not want to see my team in a different teams colours on any day of the year, period.

ExiledRed
06-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Im more interested in a campaign to Bring Back, BringBackTheBlizzard

olegunnar
06-08-2008, 01:25 PM
NBA analogy is not the same in my opinion

This isn't an MLS game. We're playing in a new tournament against fellow Canadian teams... Vancouver Whitecaps being an old NASL team as well. There is an aspect of soccer history in Toronto that probably a lot of fans don't know about. BMO field is pretty much on on the spot where the Blizzard used to play.

Its not a perfect scenario, but it would be a really neat homage to Toronto's soccer past and a historic event at BMO to be playing fellow Canadian teams. Those who forget their history...

Nice post.

My take is this:
The Canada cup or whatever it's called is a showcase for the sport in Canada.
Why would we as TFC supporters, and why would the FO want to miss this opportunity to fully showcase our team to the country by wearing a different team's kit?
I think the Canada Cup is an opportunity to grow the game and the clubs but by blurring the lines between reality and nostalgia I think we'd be wasting the opportunity.

Maybe in 10 years when more than 60,000 people a week watching TFC broadcasts, it'll be a "cool idea" to mess with our branding, but right now I think it's far too soon.

Jack
06-08-2008, 01:28 PM
You make a good point olegunner.

Flipityflu
06-08-2008, 01:29 PM

maybe we should all wear BBTB masks on July 1st?

stugautz
06-08-2008, 01:29 PM

You mean jerseys like this?

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/NLCINLLHPJAG/75thPC_9.jpg

Captain Croatia
06-08-2008, 01:30 PM
get the Blizzard strip instead of our current grey-ulgy-as-hell away strip.:)

RedRum
06-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Wicked... I'd get to break out my Blizzard scarf.

Blizzard
06-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Fair enough.
My intital reaction was that it's a weird idea, and one that will never fly, and since there were only "that's cool" replies I thought I'd ask if there was a more tangible reason.

... and let's not forget the San Jose Earthquakes.

Olegunner, remember, this would be a one off thing and appropriate on an occasion such as this because we would be playing the Whitecaps, another name from the old days and remember, it's the Canada Cup, not a league match.

Plus it's Canada Day.

It's the perfect time to honour the past. The Blizzard played here for 15 years afterall.

Blizzard
06-08-2008, 01:48 PM
i think this is a cool idea...for next season. how exactly are all the retro jerseys and stuff supposed to be produced in less than a month? of course, there aren't many details here, but that would be my first question.

Damned reality! It's always getting in the way! :(

Worse comes to worst. Buy from TOFFS. I prefer the white. They also do Montreal and Vancouver.
http://www.toffs.com/icat/vancouver
http://www.toffs.com/invt/5009 (truly awful Montreal shirt)

http://www.toffs.com/content/ebiz/toffs/invt/5040/5040_l.jpg
http://www.toffs.com/content/ebiz/toffs/invt/5041/5041_m.jpg

Super
06-08-2008, 01:52 PM
I think it's a neat and cute idea, but I'm not in support of it myself. I'm not a Blizzard supporter, I'm a TFC supporter. I want to see TFC play in its own colours, and not that of some other team. Also, why associate ourselves with a past full of football failures in this city (as much as I understand it was more the league that failed than the Blizzard).

TFC07
06-08-2008, 02:10 PM
I support this even though I was too young to remember about Toronto Blizzard.

ensco
06-08-2008, 02:11 PM
I loved the Blizzard - I went to a bunch of their games.

I like this idea, but it should be saved for a friendly.

Detroit_TFC
06-08-2008, 02:14 PM
What about a special Blizzard strip with a TFC crest on it? Special commemorative strips are fairly common aren't they?

Blizzard
06-08-2008, 02:21 PM
I loved the Blizzard - I went to a bunch of their games.

I like this idea, but it should be saved for a friendly.

If it could be against Vancouver, I'd agree. I'd also suggest Vancouver wear a vintage style strip for that match.

That said, I think this is a great opportunity as it is non-league and it is on Canada Day and that, for me, is the best reason to go for it now.

:canada:

db

Bluenose13
06-08-2008, 02:26 PM
If it could be against Vancouver, I'd agree. I'd also suggest Vancouver wear a vintage style strip for that match.

That said, I think this is a great opportunity as it is non-league and it is on Canada Day and that, for me, is the best reason to go for it now.

dbAs a Blizzard fan who went to most of there games with my Dad, I love this idea & hope it happens.

Blizzard
06-08-2008, 02:27 PM
What about a special Blizzard strip with a TFC crest on it? Special commemorative strips are fairly common aren't they?

It's a nice idea. I don't know if it has been done in North America.

Hey, send us a picture of you in your Detroit Cougars uniform! ;)

http://www.toffs.com/content/ebiz/toffs/invt/5019/5019l.jpg

Detroit_TFC
06-08-2008, 02:41 PM
It's a nice idea. I don't know if it has been done in North America.

Hey, send us a picture of you in your Detroit Cougars uniform! ;)

http://www.toffs.com/content/ebiz/toffs/invt/5019/5019l.jpg

LOL, wow that's, ahem, very attractive. The 70s and 80s - not the golden age of kit design.

Ok, Lions, Tigers, Cougars... if we got a lacrosse team it could be the Detroit Domestic Shorthairs. Roar!

Correction: Cougars played in 1968. Blame it on the 60s.

icecoldbeer
06-08-2008, 02:45 PM

I miss him.

ensco
06-08-2008, 02:52 PM

Why did he stop posting?

Roogsy
06-08-2008, 02:59 PM

I agree.

The Toronto Maple Leafs wore the St Pats uniforms once for a special anniversary. This could be the same thing.

I for one support this idea. As a suffering soccer fan in this city for many years, I would like to see people reminded of the history we have.

Not to mention, this would be even more appropriate considering it will be for a Canada Cup game as opposed to an MLS match.

ilikemusic
06-08-2008, 03:10 PM
To be perfectly honest im not really a fan of this idea. :noidea:

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-08-2008, 03:21 PM
I agree with those who have reservations about this idea. I think this idea might have more resonance if TFC had been around a lot longer. A second year team wearing throwback kits just seems a little cheesy.

As has been pointed out above, there’s no straight line between TFC and the Blizzard.

bhoybobby
06-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Why is it a good idea?

A tip of the hat to our soccer culture, we could even do a Toronto City Jersey for the Mtl game.

It's good to recognize the past history of our great sport in T.O.

One of the better & more original ideas posted here, kudo's:D

Roogsy
06-08-2008, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't call it a throwback jersey as much as paying homage to those who suffered supporting soccer in this city for so many years.

In fact...it's a good way to remind people of the HUGE gap between the Blizzard years and life with Toronto FC.

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-08-2008, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't call it a throwback jersey as much as paying homage to those who suffered supporting soccer in this city for so many years.

In fact...it's a good way to remind people of the HUGE gap between the Blizzard years and life with Toronto FC.

Lets not over do it. People choosing to support their favourite sport is not suffering.

CanuckPete
06-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Why is it a good idea?

The Raptors actually wore an old school Toronto Huskies uniform for a game to celebrate the history of pro hoops in the city.

Blizzard
06-08-2008, 03:35 PM
I agree with those who have reservations about this idea. I think this idea might have more resonance if TFC had been around a lot longer. A second year team wearing throwback kits just seems a little cheesy.

As has been pointed out above, there’s no straight line between TFC and the Blizzard.

Fair comment. Of course there is no direct lineage between the current Whitecaps and the old Whitecaps either they disappearing after declaring bankruptcy just prior to the demise of the NASL. It wasn't until 2001 that the new ownership purchase the name "Whitecaps" from the former owner.

The important thing is that one is the successor to the other. As I said elsewhere, the current team is the current torch bearer.

I don't think there's anything wrong with honouring the past especially in a match against another team with a historic name and expecially on Canada Day, IMO anyway.

B

CoachGT
06-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Pics of the Toffs shirts - I'm not the best model for them!

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=71&pictureid=363

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=71&pictureid=364

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=71&pictureid=365

Wagner
06-08-2008, 03:50 PM
that's what i thought this was about when i saw the thread title.
what about this idea??
who will champion this cause?

Cambridge_Red
06-08-2008, 04:02 PM
I know it's not an MLS game, but we're an MLS team, I'm sure that counts for something?!??!??

It's not that I don't support the idea, I just think having "BLIZZARD" on the front Mis-represents our team. I would fully support a Blizzard style Jersey with Toronto FC on it. Let's live in the now and remember our past.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-08-2008, 04:13 PM
get the Blizzard strip instead of our current grey-ulgy-as-hell away strip.:)

they grey ones are better the the old plain red shirts... we need a design the jersey contest, and forward the winning design to adidas who have no clue,
all their jerseys look alike...........Yes briong back the retro Blizzard jersey, just for one match.

Blizzard
06-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Pics of the Toffs shirts - I'm not the best model for them!

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=71&pictureid=363

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=71&pictureid=364

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=71&pictureid=365

Wow! Good to see those shirts on a real live human being!!!

Thanks for going to the trouble.

It does confirm what I always felt, that the white shirt with the red and blue shoulders is better than the red.

That Whitecaps shirt looks very sharp too btw.

cheers

B

alexintoronto
06-08-2008, 04:16 PM
that's what i thought this was about when i saw the thread title.
what about this idea??
who will champion this cause?

I thought that too. I don't know the reasons - if there are any. I nominate you to look into the matter and get back to us with a course of action :)

TFC_Toon
06-08-2008, 05:19 PM
A very creative idea, perhaps as a third or special occasion jersey, but it must have the TFC crest and not the Blizzard one. Even though it is not a MLS sanctioned match v Vancouver it is a competitive match being played by TFC.
IMO

Excellent thought on doing something special for Canada day, well done. :canada:

David_Oliveira
06-08-2008, 06:12 PM
I really don't like this idea. We should be carving a new rivalry not bring a dead one back. I don't even want to see a throwback jersey. Toronto FC should only wear Toronto FC kits

Dirk Diggler
06-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Don't like this idea either. I'm sure the Blizzard were a nice team but they are not TFC....not even remotely related.

Razcle
06-08-2008, 06:43 PM
To be perfectly honest im not really a fan of this idea. :noidea:

oh well thanks for sharing....I feel enlightened by your post.....Well I would say a nice tribute to the old blizzard should be during a time of significance, like an anniversary...

They are the first professional soccer team from the toronto area I think and we are the current edition of that so I would be all for it....especially for a Canada Cup game.....but lets do it during an anniversary of their inception or something....

My 2 cents:p

shaggingscot
06-08-2008, 06:43 PM
I've yet to see a post explaining why this is half way decent idea....Different leagues, different teams and by far different support, last time I checked there was no Old Man Winter kicking balls into the crowd at BMO.

Yeah they were a part of Toronto's football history but it has fuck all to do with TFC and the MLS. What's next, a match where they wear the Metro Croatia kits?

I have no fond memories of them, watching that ball bounce all over the fucking concrete grass was painful.

Damien
06-08-2008, 06:47 PM
i own torontoblizzard.ca :D

Dozitwin
06-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Nice post.

My take is this:
The Canada cup or whatever it's called is a showcase for the sport in Canada.
Why would we as TFC supporters, and why would the FO want to miss this opportunity to fully showcase our team to the country by wearing a different team's kit?
I think the Canada Cup is an opportunity to grow the game and the clubs but by blurring the lines between reality and nostalgia I think we'd be wasting the opportunity.

Maybe in 10 years when more than 60,000 people a week watching TFC broadcasts, it'll be a "cool idea" to mess with our branding, but right now I think it's far too soon.

QFT...

olegunnar
06-08-2008, 06:55 PM
They are the first professional soccer team from the toronto area I think

Not even close.
In 1877 The Dominion Football Association was created...the first national FA outside of the British isles.
The National Soccer league was founded in the 1920s.
There was a pro league in BC that started in 1910.
A team from Galt won the Gold Medal for Canada at the 1904 Olympic games.
Toronto Scottish won the North American Club Championship in 1933 beating a team from St Louis at Soldier Field.

There's a lot of soccer history in Canada...it doesn't begin and end with the Blizzard who didn't come around until 1968. There's 90 years of history of soccer in Canada before the Blizzard.

Christoff
06-08-2008, 06:56 PM
I dont really understand what this has to do with TFC, two totally different teams, and to be honest, i think your planning screwed this idea from the start, if you would have brought this up earlier when they released the dates, there might be a shot in the dark thatd it happen, but we are now a month away from the game, there is not the time to get the rights, get the ok from the right people, design, produce the shirts. personally i cant see this happening, maybe a armband with the blizzards chrest, or something of the likes, thats realistic in my mind with the time frame.

Oblio2
06-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Sorry but this is a terrible idea.
We are TFC..NOT the Blizzard. We support TFC.
They should NOT wear another jersey of another team, from a different league or a different era.
Bad idea all round.

olegunnar
06-08-2008, 06:59 PM
If anyone is interested...nutella of all companies/products has a great listing of the history of soccer in Canada written by Colin Jose

http://nutellasoccerclub.ca/history.php

ensco
06-08-2008, 07:04 PM
There's a lot of soccer history in Canada...it doesn't begin and end with the Blizzard who didn't come around until 1968. There's 90 years of history of soccer in Canada before the Blizzard.

I remember the Blizzard as the renamed Metros-Croatia. The Blizzard didn't start play until 1978 or 1979.

olegunnar
06-08-2008, 07:12 PM
I remember the Blizzard as the renamed Metros-Croatia. The Blizzard didn't start play until 1978 or 1979.

You're right. My mistake.

I think the point still stands though. IF one were to think wearing another team's kit was a good idea (a HUGE if) there is no logical reason to pay tribute to the Blizzard over all the other pro teams that played in Toronto and the GTA since 1870's.

MFBODD
06-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Well, this isn't really the same as the Leafs wearing the St.Pats gear. The Leafs used to be the St.Pats...Same club.

So, can we slap down some astro turf as well? Just kidding... I'm cool with whatever.

Blizzard
06-08-2008, 08:33 PM
You're right. My mistake.

I think the point still stands though. IF one were to think wearing another team's kit was a good idea (a HUGE if) there is no logical reason to pay tribute to the Blizzard over all the other pro teams that played in Toronto and the GTA since 1870's.

Well there aren't that many. Until Toronto City in the early 60's, the teams were semi-pro and senior amateur. It was (and let's see if I get this right) the Eastern Canada Professional Soccer League featuring Toronto City, Italia, Hamilton Stealers and somebody else, perhaps Croatia (???? help please) that the game went up a notch.

I would say that the clubs that should be honoured at some point in time by TFC are Toronto City, Toronto Metros-Croatia and Toronto Blizzard. There was of course the old National Soccer League that eventually morphed into the CPSL. Italia and Croatia were very successful and probably deserve recognition as well. The current Croatia still claims that they won the 1976 Soccer Bowl. I guess they sorta did as they were the ones who kept the Metros afloat.

You're right. It's not only the Blizzard but let's not lose the plot and start talking about a social club's team from 1892.

olegunnar
06-08-2008, 09:03 PM
You're right. It's not only the Blizzard but let's not lose the plot and start talking about a social club's team from 1892.

So a gold medal at an Olympics (Galt in 1904), a win over a touring Glasgow Celtic team (Toronto Ulster United 1931) The North American Club Championship (Toronto Scottish 1933) aren't as important as.....remind me again what the Blizzard ever won?

Why the Blizzard?
No one will give a good reason. It's can't be history because their history isn't as noteworthy as other Canadian/Toronto clubs.

H Bomb
06-08-2008, 09:34 PM
This is the first ever competative match against a Canadian team at BMO, could we create our own history before bringing up the failures of the last generation please.

canadian_bhoy
06-08-2008, 09:38 PM
2 Words, NO CHANCE.
Not because I wouldn't want to see it, BUT

It takes Adidas 4 months from start to finish to get jersey's over here.

Keep in mind that Adidas would have to design their own "retro" version of the shirt, get the little kids to start sewing, and then ship them...it just isn't going to happen.

I do think it'd be cool to see this at some point in the future though.

mdc 77
06-08-2008, 10:30 PM
My opinion, if anyone actually cares...This is TFC not the Blizzard, let's work on building TFC's history and tradition.

stretchthetruth
06-08-2008, 11:19 PM
i'd be in for a commemorative TFC top, but not into the Blizzard thing...

Blizzard
06-08-2008, 11:27 PM
So a gold medal at an Olympics (Galt in 1904), a win over a touring Glasgow Celtic team (Toronto Ulster United 1931) The North American Club Championship (Toronto Scottish 1933) aren't as important as.....remind me again what the Blizzard ever won?

Why the Blizzard?
No one will give a good reason. It's can't be history because their history isn't as noteworthy as other Canadian/Toronto clubs.

Re the Blizzard, you're right they didn't win but they were our team for 15 years and that means a lot to a lot of people. They are the team that many of us cheered for as hard as we cheer for TFC today. No, there weren't as many of us but we bled with them when they were one of the worst teams in the league and we gloried in two appearances in the championship final in 83 and 84 and we bled again when we came out second best both times.

They were a damned fine soccer team and, as I said, they meant a great deal to a lot of people. Obviously there are differing opinions here but obviously a fair number of people feel the way I do. As some say, perhaps you had to be there.

Regarding recognition of the teams you mention, theoretically, that's what the CSA Soccer Hall Of Fame is all about but I fully support the concept of honouring Toronto Ulster United 1931 and Toronto Scottish 1933 and any other team that made an important contribution to soccer in this city.

Let's go for it!

Seriously! Let's organize a "Toronto Soccer Hall of Fame" even if it's only a web site! Let's honour the teams you mention and the teams I mention and any other team that deserves recognition.

Instead of bitching and whinging, instead of being negative, let's do something positive and give credit where credit is due!

BTW, you can write off the 1904 St. Louis Olympics gold medal.

Only three soccer teams took part in that tournament. Two were from the USA, the third was from Galt. No Great Britain (it's the Olympics of course), no Uruguay, no Argentina, no Germany, no France, not even Italy, just two teams from the USA and one team from Galt.

Galt defeated the Christian Brothers College, USA 2 nil in the gold medal game while the St. Rose Parish School, USA nabbed the bronze by, apparently, losing two games.

I was excited about the gold medal too but then I did my research.

http://www.hickoksports.com/history/ol1904.shtml#soccer

That's why FIFA doesn't recognize an Olympic champion until London in 1908, the first real Olympic soccer tournament.

Apparently, the St. Louis Olympics were a total mess beyond the soccer tournament.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1904_Summer_Olympics
http://www.olympic.org/uk/games/past/index_uk.asp?OLGT=1&OLGY=1904
http://www.einsteinsrefrigerator.com/st_louis_olympics/index.html

Some of these stories are hilarious. What is appalling is that visible minorities had to take part in separate competitions (Anthropological Games I think they called them). Ah, the good old USA. The civil war hadn't been over all that long I guess.

db

greatwhitenorf
06-09-2008, 12:22 AM
I would love to see the history of the game in Toronto being honoured by the current club. There's a lot to work with. The Blizzard wore adidas playing kits, which would help streamline many retro shirt considerations.

Not sure if there's really enough time to properly implement all the good ideas being proposed in this thread in the current season. But, no rush. Take the time to do it right.

This is something that TFC should not be one bit insecure about exploring. Nor should those who are either too young or too new to Canada to recall what the Blizzard did for soccer in this city.

Some great players were brought to town because of the NASL and the demise of the club wasn't due to a lack of interest as much as the league not being able to sustain itself. There are a lot of fond memories here about great times at CNE Stadium and Varsity Stadium. Centennial, not so much.

A shame we've lost George Gross recently. He avidly covered the game in all its previous incarnations in this city and frequently returned to memory lane in his writing. Canada's great historian of the game, Colin Jose, would be very useful to consult in making appropriate plans.

Go for it. Really worthwhile idea.

Brooker
06-09-2008, 12:42 AM
what the hell?

why in gods name would we wear somebody elses kit during the Canada Cup? LOL.

I'm not knocking the Blizzard but christ they have absolutely nothing to do with us other than the fact that they were once a team based in Toronto?

why dont we wear Blue Jays jerseys when we play Vancouver? or Argo's? :D

Blizzard
06-09-2008, 12:58 AM
what the hell?

why in gods name would we wear somebody elses kit during the Canada Cup? LOL.

I'm not knocking the Blizzard but christ they have absolutely nothing to do with us other than the fact that they were once a team based in Toronto?

why dont we wear Blue Jays jerseys when we play Vancouver? or Argo's? :D

Blue Jays? Argos? I didn't know either played soccer.

greatwhitenorf
06-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Well, one reason might be to continue exposing the history and heritage of the game in Toronto to an audience obviously not aware of the value of the contributions made toward developing the game during past eras. The rivalries we'll be enjoying in the Canada Cup matches in years ahead are all rooted in past competitions.

Or it could just be about making an easy buck selling retro merchandise.

Works for me either way.

Brooker
06-09-2008, 01:03 AM
BBtB, i didn't realize the fact that the Blizzard and TFC played the same sport made them buddies.

keep the Blizzard crap away from TFC. not everybody cares about a defunct team.

why shouldnt we be afraid to honour the past when we (TFC) BARELY have one ourselves....

Blizzard
06-09-2008, 01:05 AM
I would love to see the history of the game in Toronto being honoured by the current club. There's a lot to work with. The Blizzard wore adidas playing kits, which would help streamline many retro shirt considerations.

Not sure if there's really enough time to properly implement all the good ideas being proposed in this thread in the current season. But, no rush. Take the time to do it right.

This is something that TFC should not be one bit insecure about exploring. Nor should those who are either too young or too new to Canada to recall what the Blizzard did for soccer in this city.

Some great players were brought to town because of the NASL and the demise of the club wasn't due to a lack of interest as much as the league not being able to sustain itself. There are a lot of fond memories here about great times at CNE Stadium and Varsity Stadium. Centennial, not so much.

A shame we've lost George Gross recently. He avidly covered the game in all its previous incarnations in this city and frequently returned to memory lane in his writing. Canada's great historian of the game, Colin Jose, would be very useful to consult in making appropriate plans.

Go for it. Really worthwhile idea.

You are probably right about the timing issues but we could just consider this early foundational work.

My Blizzard shirts from the early days are Admiral. That probably isn't very helpful. Did they switch to Adidas at some point? In a pinch, I'd buy from Toffs and stick an Adidas sticker on them. LOL. Neither Toffs nor Adidas would appreciate that I'm sure.

You're right about the insecurity issue. It shouldn't exist. I get the feeling that it does but it really shouldn't. TFC is the present and is the future. They can't be afraid to honour the past.

I'm still amazed that we were able to convince Bettega to come over although it helped that ownership was friendly with Juve ownership. Even though he was near the end of his career, he was pure class out there with the genius of Ace Ntsolengoe, the best African soccer player of his day to my mind.

Yes, Colin Jose is the man who could be so helpful. He does know about this! I don't know what he thinks yet but he is in the loop!

cheers

B

greatwhitenorf
06-09-2008, 01:55 AM
Insecurity: Aahh, that's just pint culture talking out it's empty glass.

adidas: They certainly wore this brand at CNE Stadium.

Bettega: That pretty much got everyone's attention, didn't it? When you think back to those days, the players that formed the backbone of Canada's 1986 World Cup squad were a big part of the scene then - Bruce Wilson, Randy Ragan, Pasquale De Luca, Colin Miller and Paul James for Toronto, Bobby Lenarduzzi, Tino Lettieri, David Norman, Mike Sweeney, Ian Bridge, Carl Valentine and Gerry Gray for Vancouver.

So having a day to honour a past team would also serve to remind us of our only World Cup appearance. It needs to be done as part and parcel of immersing BMO Field completely in Canadian soccer culture.

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 07:38 AM
BBtB, i didn't realize the fact that the Blizzard and TFC played the same sport made them buddies.

keep the Blizzard crap away from TFC. not everybody cares about a defunct team.

why shouldnt we be afraid to honour the past when we (TFC) BARELY have one ourselves....

Pst... user Blizzard, is not BBtB. ;)

db, love the idea personally. I think the Canada Cup is the perfect time for it as the Whitecaps fans would be one of the few sets of fans that would actually appreciate the tribute IMO. Sure the Blizzard isn't the only pro team we've had in the city, but they are by far the most recognized and IMO had the greatest impact on the city in terms of pro football teams.

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Insecurity: Aahh, that's just pint culture talking out it's empty glass.

adidas: They certainly wore this brand at CNE Stadium.

Bettega: That pretty much got everyone's attention, didn't it? When you think back to those days, the players that formed the backbone of Canada's 1986 World Cup squad were a big part of the scene then - Bruce Wilson, Randy Ragan, Pasquale De Luca, Colin Miller and Paul James for Toronto, Bobby Lenarduzzi, Tino Lettieri, David Norman, Mike Sweeney, Ian Bridge, Carl Valentine and Gerry Gray for Vancouver.

So having a day to honour a past team would also serve to remind us of our only World Cup appearance. It needs to be done as part and parcel of immersing BMO Field completely in Canadian soccer culture.

I hadn't even thought about that, even more reason! :canada:

SilverSamurai
06-09-2008, 08:41 AM
While it's a nice idea, I think it's too soon to do a retro kit/throwback.
Maybe once TFC has been around a while it could be looked at again.

Red CB Toronto
06-09-2008, 08:52 AM
The Raptors dawned the old Toronto Huskies jersey's in their season opener of the NBA's 50th season, so I think it would be cool to see the Blizzard name out their again. On a side not i am really surprised the Blizzard have not been reborn in the form of say a CSL team or something along that line.

MG42
06-09-2008, 08:59 AM
http://home.att.net/~naslpics/teampics/83_blizzard.jpg

jabbronies
06-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Ya I'm on the side of "I don't see the point".

It's not like TFC evolved from the Blizzard like - The Avalanche did from the Nordiques or the Leafs and the St Pats.

When I have spoken to people in this city about the Blizzard, alot of them laugh and shrug them off as a failure to bring the sport to light in this city. I'm sure you hardcores would say otherwise...

I didn't care about them back then and I don't care about them now.

pat416
06-09-2008, 09:16 AM
^^ Hey guys,

I agree and feel that we should wear OUR jerseys on Canada Cup gameday. It is our first homegame in the Canada Cup and we have to show our tfc pride on our backs. However maybe some game in the future the team could walk out onto the pitch in retro jerseys then go throw on the real ones before the game starts. This way ppl wont forget the teams but we can still Play our game in our shirts. Who knows maybe we can do one large banner showing the old teams crests all together and a tfc one in the middle.

ExiledRed
06-09-2008, 09:34 AM
I would protest any decision that would allow brand marketers to believe that we are cool fucking with the teams colours for any reason whatsoever.

Heathen
06-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Its Canada Day, why don't they keep the red shirts but put a big fuck off maple leaf on the front instead of the BMO logo. The Jays do something similar on Canada Day

Cas87
06-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Its Canada Day, why don't they keep the red shirts but put a big fuck off maple leaf on the front instead of the BMO logo. The Jays do something similar on Canada Day

Agreed, keep TFC jerseys but have us and Vancouver do something to show the fact that it is Canada Day. Do like the Jays and have everyone's name on the back of their jerseys read "Canada"

http://www.mickeyrivers.com/images/hamiltonback.jpg

see? something like this

Oldtimer
06-09-2008, 09:57 AM
http://www.toffs.com/content/ebiz/toffs/invt/5041/5041_b.jpg

Nice Jersey, but I'm not sure that it needs to be done.

TicTacTabarnack
06-09-2008, 10:04 AM
http://home.att.net/%7Enaslpics/teampics/83_blizzard.jpg

Forget the jerseys ... I say all the players bring back the staches and hair cuts! Classic!

rocker
06-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Forget the jerseys ... I say all the players bring back the staches and hair cuts! Classic!

Schellotto of Columbus still has that style!

greatwhitenorf
06-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Wow. That team pic brings back a lot of good memories. That's the main CNE Stadium grandstand in the background, not far away from where BMO Field now sits. Great roof.

Not sure what season this is - early '80s - but this group help to forge Canada's only World Cup qualifier. Pasquale De Luca(12), Paul James(15), Bruce Wilson(2) and Randy Ragan(top row, second from right) were all part of that memorable national team. My favorite player was ManU grad Jimmy Nichol, the ginger bap third from right, back row. Great outside defender. Probably why I appreciate the work of Marvell Wynne nowadays. Similar styles.

Even more interesting was that this team was multi- racial, multi-national long before it became the mainstay of great clubs nowadays. At a time when apartheid had made South Africa a pariah state, the Blizzard featured four South Africans, two black, two white. A great gesture and what a great group they were.

In the middle row, David 'Budgie' Byrne(19), Ace Ntsoelengoe(8) and Jomo Sono(11) and behind them, Neill Roberts(third from left) were a talented, spirited group at the very heart of the team. A lot of people were very proud to see this group play in a city beginning to establish its multicultural identity. They were a great symbol for Toronto's emerging identity.

Some of you are so quick to dismiss this initiative and I wish everyone would take the time to study this idea a bit more before making unnecessarily harsh comments. The game has a great history in Toronto and the Blizzard were part of a period that brought the game to its highest level before the demise of the NASL.

When we face the future of what BMO Field will become, the heritage of the game in this city will become more and more important. The Argos will not hestiate to use their history as a weapon if they should choose to attempt a move into BMO Field. We need to counter that with the history of soccer in Toronto. Despite all the negative attention the media has directed at soccer over the past few decades, it's a game they haven't been able to kill. The Blizzard put a lot of bricks into the game's foundations in this city and we shouldn't be afraid to acknowledge that at some point in the near future with Toronto FC.

greatwhitenorf
06-09-2008, 08:09 PM

just wanted to add this picture next to my last post to make it easier to identify the players.

bhoybobby
06-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Jomo Somo, David Fairclough, Bobby Houghton, Mgr, Colin Franks, Bruce Wilson, Cliff Calvert, David Byrne. Now my memories fading. A high school Chum I used to play with might be in there, Graham Hately, I'm not sure.

I don't see Brian Budd, Willie McVie, Drew Busby, Jimmy Greenhoff, Rob Prentice,

I may be wrong on some of those names, fuck I can't remember, Oh well

Bluenose13
06-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Clive Best #17 ?

CenturySam
06-10-2008, 08:39 AM
could i be a ball boy? i did it 2 or 3 times when i was real young at the blizzard games. my whole soccer team did it. and i remember one time they let us on the pitch during half to have a penalty shootout.

MG42
06-10-2008, 08:50 AM

I work with Charlie Falzon, I think he's in this picture...this is the 1983 team, who played Juentus here and in Italy if I remember correctly.

ExiledRed
06-10-2008, 08:56 AM
David fucking fairclough...

Well I have one thing in common with old Blizzard fans. I've seen that guy play a few games as well.

bhoybobby
06-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Clive Best #17 ?

Yeah, the pride of Bermuda I think, played for West Ham as well, I think

bhoybobby
06-10-2008, 08:57 AM

Well I have one thing in common with old Blizzard fans. I've seen that guy play a few games as well.

The original supersub!!

I think he's doing colour commentary now.

Fort York Redcoat
06-10-2008, 09:02 AM
I don't need to see it yet. Selling the throwback is one thing but having a 2 yr old team wear someone else's throwbacks? Sorry. I want to see the reds in their own kit on July 1.

King Tut
06-11-2008, 01:52 AM
Why is it a good idea?

QFT

My thoughts on the thread? NO THANKS!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-11-2008, 08:51 AM
NOt at all for this IDEA!!! we are a new ERA a new breed!! ONWARD!

ensco
06-11-2008, 01:22 PM
I always forget Bruce Wilson played here! I remember him more for the Whitecaps and Cosmos.

Northern Soul
06-11-2008, 01:28 PM
I'd be ok with a pre-match ceremony to honour the Blizzard, but not for wearing the kits. We are Toronto FC.

Flipityflu
06-11-2008, 04:30 PM

i totally forgot that Super Sub played for Blizzard.

Blizzard
06-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Clive Best #17 ?

Yup. That's big Clyde back there. He was here in 1981 and 1982 but I think this 82. No Greenhoff.

Blizzard
06-11-2008, 04:57 PM
I always forget Bruce Wilson played here! I remember him more for the Whitecaps and Cosmos.

He got here in 1981 playing through 1984 when the league died.

Blizzard
06-11-2008, 05:00 PM

I work with Charlie Falzon, I think he's in this picture...this is the 1983 team, who played Juentus here and in Italy if I remember correctly.

One year off. This is 82. Charlie showed up next year. When I was at Rogers, we used to play against Metro Ambulance so I had a chance to chat with Charlie at one game. Our guys were all wondering who the skilled hot shot was. They were all quite impressed that he was a veteran of the NASL and Canada.

It's so cool to see Jomo Sono and Ace Ntsolengae together. Big rivals in South Africa but teammates with the Blizzard. Both are legendary.

greatwhitenorf
06-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Redcoat, Nation, Tut, Soul.

No idea how long you guys have been supporting soccer but TFC is definitely the best thing to ever come along. I'm not arguing that one bit.

That said, we're only just emerging from a long, dark stretch of time when the professional game in Canada dipped to an unbelievable low. Canada's absence from the World Cup is evidence of that. We're producing good players in ever increasing numbers, but most of them play abroad and the best defect to other countries.

The Blizzard and NASL put it all together for long enough that we were able to see the home-based development of enough players that we could use the core players of Canada's top clubs as the foundation for our national team.

Can't say that today. But we hope for it tomorrow. Or at least a few tomorrows down the road.

The history of our game is important. The history of the game in this city will be a crucial element very soon in helping to keep BMO Field a soccer specific stadium. The Blizzard helped lift the professional game in Canada to a high enough level that it could fall without crashing before TFC lifted it up again. It's worthy of our respect and our recognition. Not this year, maybe, but soon.

Don't be so hasty to be so negative.

TFC111
06-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Didn't Asif Hossain write something in the last Free Kick abou a Blizzard - TFC comparison? I believe the theme of it was something like despite the many parallels between the teams, the Blizzard are in the past, let it stay there and TFC is the future and we should celebrate it going forward. At least that's what I got out of it. Since Hossain works for Toronto FC and not a beat reporter, I would guess that the idea of TFC wearing Blizzard gear is not exactly on the team's radar.

juki
06-11-2008, 07:09 PM
I thought he was in Japan :)

ExiledRed
06-11-2008, 08:49 PM

It's not negativity,

It just seems like this is another attempt by a third party to tag their own philosophies or agenda onto the success of TFC.

Your point that the Blizzard used to play at the ex, and therefore will provide an argument against sharing the stadium seems a bit off base, unless youre going to tell me that the Blizzard played in a SSS.

What if the counter is, "well the Blizzard shared a stadium, why cant TFC?"

leedsutd85
06-11-2008, 08:59 PM
I think it's so important we honour the history of soccer in this city and country, especially because so many people know little or nothing about it. I hadn't even been born yet when the Blizzard and the NASL all came to an end, but I absolutely love this idea. Who cares who owned what team or what stadium they played at? It's our footballing history folks, and it's time we recognized it. It'd be great to have a day at BMO where they bring as many of the old Blizzard players back and honour them by having our Reds don their kits. It's something I'd absolutely love to see.

Northern Soul
06-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Redcoat, Nation, Tut, Soul.

To be fair, I said I'd be ok with a pre-game ceremony honouring the Blizzard. I just don't think that it's necessary to wear their kits. Not the same team.

ExiledRed
06-11-2008, 09:07 PM
It'd be great to have a day at BMO where they bring as many of the old Blizzard players back and honour them by having our Reds don their kits. It's something I'd absolutely love to see.

What would be better is if the Blizzard players did a lap of honour in TFC kits, to 'pay homage' to what has been achieved in a very short space of time, DESPITE the failings of the NASL, and not because of it.

CanadaLFC
06-11-2008, 09:38 PM
I think honouring the Blizzard is a great idea, just not at a competitive Toronto FC match. Why not do something like a testimonial match before a TFC game? Have some of the past Blizzard players play against a team of local celebrities or something. This way we can honour the Blizzard, but have TFC play in their own colours at the same time. Another idea could be former Blizzaed players vs. TFC staff.

bhoybobby
06-12-2008, 08:13 AM
It's not negativity,

It just seems like this is another attempt by a third party to tag their own philosophies or agenda onto the success of TFC.

Your point that the Blizzard used to play at the ex, and therefore will provide an argument against sharing the stadium seems a bit off base, unless youre going to tell me that the Blizzard played in a SSS.

What if the counter is, "well the Blizzard shared a stadium, why cant TFC?"

Actually, the Blizzard played their last NASL season at Varsity. The played at the EX for teh vast majority of their existance. I believe, Metroes-Croatia played at Varsity as well.

If the Blizzard had played at Varsity they would've been a lot more successful in attracting fans. If you think that field turf is bad, you should've seen the Ex. Gardne carpet on concrete, it was a disgrace.

I can only imagine what Roberto Bettega, Jimmy Greenhoff & David Fairclough thought when they arrived here. Having said that Juventus, Nottingham Forest, Bdeckenbaur & Johan Cruyff played on it.

TFC_Toon
06-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Actually, the Blizzard played their last NASL season at Varsity. The played at the EX for teh vast majority of their existance. I believe, Metroes-Croatia played at Varsity as well.

If the Blizzard had played at Varsity they would've been a lot more successful in attracting fans. If you think that field turf is bad, you should've seen the Ex. Gardne carpet on concrete, it was a disgrace.

I can only imagine what Roberto Bettega, Jimmy Greenhoff & David Fairclough thought when they arrived here. Having said that Juventus, Nottingham Forest, Bdeckenbaur & Johan Cruyff played on it.

I was there for the Beckenbauer performance bhoybobby, even on the poor surface he was pure class.

bhoybobby
06-12-2008, 07:31 PM
I was there for the Beckenbauer performance bhoybobby, even on the poor surface he was pure class.

Yeah he was. I was there for that & when Cruyff played. Bramalea's Peter Roe who was playing fullback for the Blizzard at the time, nutmegged Cruyff, then got shit from the then Blizzard mgr, Keith Eddy.

Eddy was no fan of Cdn players. One of the most underrtaed players I ever so was, Jomo Somo, he was a different class, Christ some of the goals he scored were otherworldly, that turf suited him, as he learned hi footie on baked dirt fields in Africa.
The things that fella could do with a ball was frightening.

Sad to Btian Budd passing on, he was a great character, not a very good footballer but a pure specimen & great guy.

He will be missed. R.I.P

Blixa
06-12-2008, 08:49 PM
I respect the Blizzard, but it would be ridiculous to ask Toronto FC to wear their jerseys. They're different clubs therefore I can't see the point in this initiative.

ExiledRed
06-12-2008, 09:40 PM
I'd relent on this,

but only if it were in some way a tribute to Brian Budd. I think that would be a massive gesture by the club, and a much more significant reason to break out the Blizzard kits, specifically the style Budgie would have worn.

netsan
06-12-2008, 10:03 PM
TFC posing as the Blizzard? It's a bad idea. I'd rather the Blizzard came back to the USL.