PDA

View Full Version : Danny Dichio Testimonial?

TFC Udora
09-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Danny deserves to play in one last game (possibly on grass at BMO) so wouldn't it be a great idea for one of the friendlies next year to be the Danny Dichio testimonial? maybe QPR?

bee dubya
09-09-2009, 10:31 AM
It sounded like the club are working on something like this. It'll be interesting to see how the plans shape up.

FluSH
09-09-2009, 10:49 AM
I can only dream...

Mark in Ottawa
09-09-2009, 11:09 AM
What we want is a one man pitch invasion on Saturday September 12th, 2009 @ the 24th minute!

We want Danny Dichio, in his TFC kit, to do a lap around the BMO pitch so we can all yell ourselves hoarse and show him just how much he means to all of the TFC supporters!

billyfly
09-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Can I get a witness?

Red Skies At Night
09-09-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm absolutely gutted that I have to miss this game! I'm out of the country but will be taping the game. I also expect an epic vid from Parkdale for this game. (no pressure buddy)

(I mean the game on the 12th obviously)

Don Julio
09-09-2009, 11:28 AM
I think the testimonial needs to happen. We need it, he needs it, and hell - MLSE can probably sneak a few dollars too. Bringing over QPR would be fantastic.

King Tut
09-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Bringing over QPR would be fantastic.

QPR, Millwall, Sunderland, West Bromwich Albion, or Preston North End. Those are the teams he played the most games for.

Phil
09-09-2009, 11:36 AM
QPR, Millwall, Sunderland, West Bromwich Albion, or Preston North End. Those are the teams he played the most games for.

They should get some players that used to play with him (from all these teams) together and have the match.

TFC vs. Dichio stars or something.

Don Julio
09-09-2009, 11:49 AM
The way we're going we could have TFC 2007 vs TFC 2010..

King Tut
09-09-2009, 11:50 AM
They should get some players that used to play with him (from all these teams) together and have the match.

That's true. We'd probably have a better luck getting some of these players (if TFC really wanted to), than an entire team (say QPR) since all these teams are in the middle of the season. But something tells me, no testimonial will take place..Hope they prove me wrong.

Parkdale
09-09-2009, 11:50 AM

that would be like the Zidane and Friends game, just with a few less Zidanes on the field at the same time.

AL-MO
09-09-2009, 11:51 AM
I think the testimonial needs to happen. We need it, he needs it, and hell - MLSE can probably sneak a few dollars too. Bringing over QPR would be fantastic.

Agreed.

I think that was the club he grew up supporting didn't he?

Don Julio
09-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Agreed.

I think that was the club he grew up supporting didn't he?

He said in the presser it was his #1 moment pulling on his home club's shirt with QPR (or something like that).

romburgundy
09-09-2009, 12:07 PM
A testimonial is a must we won't take no for an answer or shouldn't anyway!

Toronto_Bhoy
09-09-2009, 01:39 PM
This would be fantastic! PNE or QPR would be so much fun!!!

MLSE! Make it so!!!

H Bomb
09-09-2009, 01:43 PM
if its a testimonial i want to see proceeds go the Danny, the way a testimonial should be. And since he wasnt given a chance to say goodbye on the field I am all for this game!

TFC_Junky
09-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Definitely a great idea! QPR, Millwall, Sunderland, West Bromwich Albion, or Preston North End would be a great testimonial!

jloome
09-09-2009, 02:10 PM
It should be QPR. That's his boyhood club as well and the club he dreamed of playing for.

joel
09-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Reality Check.

Testimonials usually are for people that have served a club for more than 10 years, and have had legendary career. Not 10 club careers. While Danny has contributed a legendary moment in TFC history, and it's first season. I don't think his lifetime body of work so-to-speak warrants a testimonial. He's a journeyman, a good one, but he is onr nonethless, and they don't get testimonials. Hell he was on loan a good portion of his career!

A testimonal is granted by a club to represent a history of mutual loyalty and success. I just don't see where he's been long enough to earn that. None of his previous clubs would have any interest in doing anything with him. He didn't help any club win anything (to my knowledge).

Sorry. It would be nice if TFC did something for him, but they already did, he has a job. Any sort of charity match would be just that. Calling it a 'Testimonial' is pure cheese and totally misrepresents what it's for.

I'm a big Dichio fan, but let's get off the sauce for a minute. I realize people want to think we're Manchester Unted with hundreds of years of history, titles, and heroes...but we're not Manchester United, and he's not Eric Cantona

Don Julio
09-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Reality Check.

Testimonials usually are for people that have served a club for more than 10 years, and have had legendary career. Not 10 club careers. While Danny has contributed a legendary moment in TFC history, and it's first season. I don't think his lifetime body of work so-to-speak warrants a testimonial. He's a journeyman, a good one, but he is onr nonethless, and they don't get testimonials. Hell he was on loan a good portion of his career!

A testimonal is granted by a club to represent a history of mutual loyalty and success. I just don't see where he's been long enough to earn that. None of his previous clubs would have any interest in doing anything with him. He didn't help any club win anything (to my knowledge).

Sorry. It would be nice if TFC did something for him, but they already did, he has a job. Any sort of charity match would be just that. Calling it a 'Testimonial' is pure cheese and totally misrepresents what it's for.

I'm a big Dichio fan, but let's get off the sauce for a minute. I realize people want to think we're Manchester Unted with hundreds of years of history, titles, and heroes...but we're not Manchester United, and he's not Eric Cantona

Exceptions are made. This should be one of them. I'll buy your seat if you have a problem with it.

AL-MO
09-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Reality Check.

Given that his last minutes on the pitch were on the road, I think an exeception can be made.

joel
09-09-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm just saying it's not a 'testimonial'. It's like Columbus supporters calling themselves hooligans, it's just not even close to the definition of what it represents.

Section 117
09-09-2009, 04:22 PM
We should have the 'testimonial' for a lack of better word.

He deserves it, he will go down as a legendary figure for this club not for his skill but how he held himself and became part of our community he didn't have to but he did.

This is why he deserves the match. I could careless anout Real Madrid, River Plate, Pachuca and any other friendly this is what should be part of season ticket package next year

Don Julio
09-09-2009, 05:11 PM
From Wiki, which is obviously always right:

A testimonial match or testimonial game, often referred to simply as a testimonial, is a practice in some sports, notably football (soccer) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_%28soccer%29) and especially in the United Kingdom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom), where a club puts on a match in honour of a player for service to the club.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testimonial_match#cite_note-0)
By tradition, clubs typically grant testimonials to players upon reaching 10 years of service with a club, although they sometimes are given to players with less service as they approach retirement.Sounds appropriate for Dichio to me. Especially considering the age of our club. 2.5 year to us is like 100 years to an English club.

What we should be arguing about is what to cast the Gate 3 statue in!

TFC Udora
09-09-2009, 08:45 PM
At the very least it would provide a lot of interest to the friendlies

billyfly
09-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Make it Dichio All-stars against the next RPB tourney winner and then watch the side tackles and cheating hit NEW HEIGHTS!