PDA

View Full Version : Gerba -just fucking play him

trane
09-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Why the fuck did we sign him if we are not going to play him. Let him fucking play and if he stinks up the joint so be it, there is nothing to lose. At least lets see what we have. We already know what we have in Barrett, and it is not a striker.

I have heard enough about fitness, supposedley we are the most fit team, and yet we are out of the play offs. We need players who can either-keep the ball out of the net-or put the ball in the net. Fuck how he looks.

jloome
09-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Yeah, they made this mistake at several other clubs. He's never going to be Bruce Jenner, but it doesn't really matter. He's proven he can score when he gets service at other clubs, so play the guy with a striker partner. Fucking Barrett instead?

flatpicker
09-08-2009, 04:33 PM
I have been struggling to understand this as well.

Get him in there!

I wonder, with JDG coming in, we might see more Gerba since they are familiar with each other?

DangerRed
09-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Fuck how he looks.

Yes, fuck how he looks. But what we cannot "fuck" is how he runs and gets caught all the time. Granted, he's gotten ZERO service and regularly gets overshot on passes, but he still needs to be fitter.

I'm NOT saying he's unfit. I'm saying he needs to be more so.

Ageroo
09-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Don't get me started on this one......I still have no clue as to why he has seen limited action.....

trane
09-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Danger Dan

So we use Barret again?

I had said nothing because I still trusted Cummins, but Barret two starts in a row, are you serious?

Shakes McQueen
09-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Don't get me started on this one......I still have no clue as to why he has seen limited action.....

You can +1 me on this.

- Scott

Belfast_Boy
09-08-2009, 04:38 PM
right now the only thing we're doing consistently is shitting the bed. try something NEW and PLAY GERBA!!!!
when he gets on things happen, why not start him? if he's not 90 minute fit then play the shit out of him till he's tired and take him off. we might actually score before that happens.

trane
09-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah, they made this mistake at several other clubs. He's never going to be Bruce Jenner, but it doesn't really matter. He's proven he can score when he gets service at other clubs, so play the guy with a striker partner. Fucking Barrett instead?

Exactly.

DangerRed
09-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Fucking Barrett instead?

Just because Barrett and Vitti fail to produce -- or they suck, blow, shit the bed, whatever -- doesn't make Gerba amazing. I agree, he needs to see more minutes and fast. I guess it comes down to whether Cummins switches things up or sticks to his guns as we enter panic mode.

MartinUtd
09-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Same reason the Dons released him despite scoring a boat load of goals?

(still not sure what that is though)

Ageroo
09-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Just because Barrett and Vitti fail to produce -- or they suck, blow, shit the bed, whatever -- doesn't make Gerba amazing. I agree, he needs to see more minutes and fast. I guess it comes down to whether Cummins switches things up or sticks to his guns as we enter panic mode.

No one is saying Gerba is the second coming of Christ...and I know you are not either.....like you said...how can we evaluate his use without giving him minutes? My suspicion is he is not fully over his nagging injury...as I cannot see any other reson why he cannot start and then be subbed off. It boggles my mind that you sit a player with that kind of strike rate.

Pachuco
09-08-2009, 05:08 PM
We played him, he stunk it up real bad. Why should he get a free shot? he must work his way onto the team and he hasn't done that. I couldn't bare to see another game with Gerba on the field so I'm personally happy that he's seeing limited time.

Everyone keeps talking about how Gerba gets no service. So then what would change if Gerba came on the field? he'd still get no service. We need guys who can go out and get the ball themselves and create chances themselves.

trane
09-08-2009, 05:10 PM
^ When did he stink it up real bad? Which "guys who can go and get teh ball themselves and create chances themselves" do you have in mind?

TorontoBlades
09-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Gerba needs minutes - all he needs is half a second in 90 minutes and he'll have two goals. Not seeing nearly enough time

Pachuco
09-08-2009, 05:16 PM
^ When did he stink it up real bad? Which "guys who can go and get teh ball themselves and create chances themselves" do you have in mind?

It is my opinion (and I know you'll disagree with me), that Gerba has stunk it up every time he's put on a uniform for TFC. We look absolutely lost out there with him up front.

I prefer OB White. I believe he's shown he's a little better then Gerba.

trane
09-08-2009, 05:17 PM
As others have said play Gerba with a partner, OBW would be good, De Ro just behing them. Works for me. Better then Barrett uo on top.

Pachuco
09-08-2009, 05:18 PM
As others have said play Gerba with a partner, OBW would be good, De Ro just behing them. Works for me. Better then Barrett uo on top.

I don't disagree with you that Barrett should be benched at this point.

Roogsy
09-08-2009, 05:20 PM
OB hasn't shown me anything impressive yet. I am still leaning towards the proven poacher in Gerba.

poppamidnight
09-08-2009, 05:22 PM
sorry for my confusion (I just recently got back from 2 months in Southeast Asia)...

But while we're on the subject.... Why the heck isn't Gerba + White are 2 starting strikers right now???

I fully expected upon my return to see these 2 guys up there.... Instead, Chad's getting starts (the past 2 games since I've been back), Vitti's still around, and worse yet - our backlines in shambles....

Did OBW + Gerba stink the joint up in their starts (I'm assuming they both got a chance to start while I was away?)???

trane
09-08-2009, 05:23 PM
^ We sign a proven poacher, and then we do not play him. Only TFC. I swear I have seen more stupid shit in three seasons, then in lifetime of supporitng Milan ( last little while excluded)

Pachuco
09-08-2009, 05:26 PM
OB hasn't shown me anything impressive yet. I am still leaning towards the proven poacher in Gerba.

He's got the same amount of goals in half the time ;)

But really, neither one has shown much yet. But I give OB credit because the game which he scored he had a very strong game. I can't say the same about Gerba. Therefore, I believe if anyone deserves more time it's OB White K nobi.

I would have to assume that if Gerba ain't getting playing time, then he ain't looking too good in training. Some people here are asking to see Gerba for more time in order to properly evaluate him. But we ain't the coach, and the coach see's him alot more then we do and should be able to properly evaluate him.

TFC USA
09-08-2009, 05:27 PM
We signed Gerba, not known for his quickness but his goal scoring, and we're making him fucking chase long balls down the field he's too slow to get to.

The service to the forwards has to come for him to be useful.

trane
09-08-2009, 05:28 PM
^ The coach, still thinks that Barrett can be a striker.

trane
09-08-2009, 05:30 PM
We signed Gerba, not known for his quickness but his goal scoring, and we're making him fucking chase long balls down the field he's too slow to get to.

The service to the forwards has to come for him to be useful.

Fucking agreed. If you are going to play long ball then you play Dichio and Gerba, so that DIchio can at least knock then down. But no with 10 minutes left in a game, for fuck sakes.

Section 117
09-08-2009, 05:43 PM
As much as I don't like Gerba the dude has had no service, what do the FO & coaches expect. He can't run, he can't hold the ball he is a paocher and needs proper service

Pachuco
09-08-2009, 05:46 PM
As much as I don't like Gerba the dude has had no service, what do the FO & coaches expect. He can't run, he can't hold the ball he is a paocher and needs proper service

Right, so why play him? Playing Gerba won't change the fact that he has no service. I don't doubt he can score goals, but I don't think he can on this team. I may change my opinion if JDG signs though.

Shakes McQueen
09-08-2009, 06:02 PM
^ The coach, still thinks that Barrett can be a striker.

I suspect the coach won't be coach for much longer.

- Scott

TFC FORZA RPB
09-08-2009, 06:06 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Gerba playing more but I would also like to see Ibrahim playing as a striker and not on the wing, he's a young kid, who can put the ball in the net who has speed, and if they play him down the road he could end up being signed by a european club hmmm

TheRenter
09-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Yes, fuck how he looks. But what we cannot "fuck" is how he runs and gets caught all the time. Granted, he's gotten ZERO service and regularly gets overshot on passes, but he still needs to be fitter.

I'm NOT saying he's unfit. I'm saying he needs to be more so.

say wha?

Bombonera
09-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Barrett should arguably be benched, and I know what that does to who we can put on the field. But Gerba is a joke. We paid discovery rights for this guy? Please. How can anyone miss him?

A proven poacher? Proven where exactly? He has scored goals in the past, but not getting service is not the reason he is not scoring here. He does not go to the ball. He waits for it. Moreover, he has not earned his palce on the field. WHy he deserves anything is beyond me.

We are capabale of moving the ball, creating some action. Gerba is like a parked Cadi. Looks expensive, but costs a ton to run.

We can still make the payoffs. BUt resting our hopes on Gerba strikes me as dangerous.

rocker
09-08-2009, 06:41 PM
in the history of TFC, the strikers have rarely received great service. i'll reserve judgement on Gerba until he actually receives some decent service and actually has something to do with the ball in a good position. Dichio never got much service either... and nobody expected him to run either -- not in his skill set.
but when he got a chance, he potted the goal (except a few this year).

Look at how our ex-strikers have succeeded elsewhere in MLS... they didn't change.. the service did to focus on their strengths.

But the other prob has always been finishing the chances you get. Dichio did this well. But Cuntingham had his chances, often thanks to a Dichio pass or head, and failed. Barrett the same. Buddle too. Vitti too (if you call him a striker).

Gerba, from what i've seen of his play elsewhere, is the kind of guy who will not make those mistakes when he eventually gets chances. The key is playmaking that gets him in a position to use his talent. I don't care if he's unfit... A little better fitness would not have scored any more goals yet. Until the team involves him in the play and he blows chances, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I just think it's a broken record over 3 seasons.. Striker comes in... he doesn't get service.. doesn't score when he gets a chance.. supporters question his skill or hunger or fitness (pie man, anyone?) and then the guy gets traded or dumped, and we move on to the next striker... and the next. And often those guys succeed elsewhere.

I think this pattern is a product of coaching and perhaps chemistry. And nobody else beyond Dichio has done anything to deserve a shot, so play Gerba until he starts flubbing chances with regularity like Barrett. Can't hurt.

sampace
09-08-2009, 06:54 PM
One reason to play Gerba, he's the only person on TFC who can score on a penalty kick!

werewolf
09-08-2009, 07:07 PM
sorry for my confusion (I just recently got back from 2 months in Southeast Asia)...

But while we're on the subject.... Why the heck isn't Gerba + White are 2 starting strikers right now???

I fully expected upon my return to see these 2 guys up there.... Instead, Chad's getting starts (the past 2 games since I've been back), Vitti's still around, and worse yet - our backlines in shambles....

I agree. I was in Europe for over a month, so when I saw they were both on the bench last weekend, I assumed they were injured.

Gerba and White may not have shown greatness in their limited time, but if the alternative is Chad Barrett at striker...

Now with Dichio gone, its Gerba's time. Just a shame he hasn't been given the chance to get into a groove.

olegunnar
09-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Granted they're probably the least plugged in of the TFC media...but the sportsnet morons said he has a bad knee...which is keeping him from getting in shape.

J .
09-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Everyone wanted a poacher, someone who can finish that set up goal. We got one.

He gets goals when he has the service. Something Barrett et al can't do. Gerba played in England, then Gold Cup and now in MLS. I think Cummins was giving him a rest cause he played a lot.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-08-2009, 08:44 PM

yeah im with you on this one, i dont think hes had a chance, hes played what? 4 games? Subs for 2 or 3 of them?

Id like to see him get some regular time next to OBW for the rest of the season

Ossington Mental Youth
09-08-2009, 08:45 PM
whatll end up happening is that we rid of him next season like every other bloody team, bit frustrating, i dont think hes a god or a solution to our problems but we havent given him a chance

Ossington Mental Youth
09-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Im also with everyone else on the Barrett benching idea, ive had enough of him playing, hes a sub at this point in time, id rather see Gerba start over Barrett in a heart beat

Blazer
09-08-2009, 08:53 PM
It doesn’t matter what kind of striking potential Gerba and White have. With our offensively impotent midfield “going deep” on every other occasion, failure isn’t in question, it’s a very real and inconvenient reality.

canadian_bhoy
09-08-2009, 08:55 PM
http://push.ca/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.76/1_5F005B00_1_5D00_.jpg

trane
09-09-2009, 10:17 AM
in the history of TFC, the strikers have rarely received great service. i'll reserve judgement on Gerba until he actually receives some decent service and actually has something to do with the ball in a good position. Dichio never got much service either... and nobody expected him to run either -- not in his skill set.
but when he got a chance, he potted the goal (except a few this year).

Look at how our ex-strikers have succeeded elsewhere in MLS... they didn't change.. the service did to focus on their strengths.

But the other prob has always been finishing the chances you get. Dichio did this well. But Cuntingham had his chances, often thanks to a Dichio pass or head, and failed. Barrett the same. Buddle too. Vitti too (if you call him a striker).

Gerba, from what i've seen of his play elsewhere, is the kind of guy who will not make those mistakes when he eventually gets chances. The key is playmaking that gets him in a position to use his talent. I don't care if he's unfit... A little better fitness would not have scored any more goals yet. Until the team involves him in the play and he blows chances, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I just think it's a broken record over 3 seasons.. Striker comes in... he doesn't get service.. doesn't score when he gets a chance.. supporters question his skill or hunger or fitness (pie man, anyone?) and then the guy gets traded or dumped, and we move on to the next striker... and the next. And often those guys succeed elsewhere.

I think this pattern is a product of coaching and perhaps chemistry. And nobody else beyond Dichio has done anything to deserve a shot, so play Gerba until he starts flubbing chances with regularity like Barrett. Can't hurt.

Exactly.

Ageroo
09-09-2009, 10:37 AM
http://push.ca/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.76/1_5F005B00_1_5D00_.jpg

But Fat Albert always knew what to do at the right times.......and he definitely showed real bursts of speed when his favourite cartoon (The Brown Hornet) was on.......;)

trane
09-09-2009, 10:38 AM
^ He could also take out both CBs and create space for others.

phonzo
09-09-2009, 10:43 AM
agreed Gerba gets no love while we let Chad Barret out on the field to fail...all the super crosses he has right into the stands. He's my hero....

If Gerba ends up sucking fine but at least let him play. The only games he has played I've seen at least 2 defenders on him at times so clearly opposing teams aren't exactly thinking he's terrible (unlike my grammar).

I'd love to see him play and I'd love to see them actually set him up where he is in a position to finish. Just to show the other "strikers" how it is done. And if I'm wrong we can re quote this post in the future omg ali gerba is worse then barret threads.

jloome
09-09-2009, 02:08 PM
A proven poacher? Proven where exactly?

10 goals in 16 starts last year for MK Dons. A 2.41 goals per game average since 2004, playing in leagues of similar quality to MLS. Never quite fit. Many of his goals as subs. If that doesn't reek of proven poacher at this level, I'm not sure what will satisfy you.

Fort York Redcoat
09-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Agreed trane. Play him. Barrett isn't feeling enough pressure for his spot.

Bombonera
09-09-2009, 09:02 PM
ok J Loome. You have facts backing you up. I am truly only arguing from what I have seen here and on TV over the last while. I just can't stand his style of play. We need to be able to move the ball.. And yes, one midfielder in particular is I think greatly to blame for our inability to mopve it forward contructively. He will go, and we will see...

Re:service. What it interesting to me is how many hand me golas we have missed... I mean how many headers has barrett missed. No lack of service there. Only a lack of finishing. Cunningham, a smiliar disease.

If Gerba can go to the ball...move..and can regain (see. Jloome above) his scoring touch, then we might be in a for a nice ride. But without a proper midfield that can actually move the ball, it won't be sustainable. It will be a max length off season.

Manutd #1
09-09-2009, 09:12 PM
People are so quick to hate on this site it is ridiculous....Gerba is a proven striker for club and country over the years....he has barely had a chance to gel with this team and honestly people were hating on him like 2 games in. I think we need to wait till the end of the year when he has had almost half a season with this team then judge him, or even more fairly wait till next year when he has a full preseason with the team, it has been proven many times it is hard for a player to come in half way through a season and make a huge impact.

As for White he has shown a lot of promise in his limited time on the field he is coming off a potential career ending injury and should be our main striking option going into 2010

T.O TILL I DIE
09-09-2009, 09:38 PM
GERBAS good he just needs to be faster
i think hes a team player and tries when he plays

InTheCrowd
09-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Give Gerba a chance. Remember Barrett's first games with us last season, he was firing it up! This shows things can change. Don't be so early to judge. Also look how many chances and how much time we gave Barrett, we can at least give Gerba a fraction of that. Please be open minded.