PDA

View Full Version : Which CMNT member should we sign next?

Shakes McQueen
09-08-2009, 03:24 PM
So, as we continue in our quest to become the Canadian Men's National Team, I ask you this - which CMNT member should we pick up next? :)

- Scott

billyfly
09-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Facetious and cheeky aren't you? :D

Shakes McQueen
09-08-2009, 03:31 PM
I should add that if the name you want isn't in the list, feel free to let us know, haha.

- Scott

werewolf
09-08-2009, 03:32 PM
I would say Rob Friend, but we dont have anyone who can get him the ball.

I think its great to sign domestic players, but our coach isn't exactly a huge step-up from dm.

Darlofletch
09-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Stephen Hart. We've clearly made the transition from British (Robbo, Dichio, and for footballing purposes Brennan)to Canadian (Serioux, De Ro, De Guzman, Gerba) for the spine of the team, now lets do the same for the coach, make the transition to TFC2.0 complete.

Damien
09-08-2009, 03:35 PM
David Edgar.

billyfly
09-08-2009, 03:35 PM
I would say Rob Friend, but we dont have anyone who can get him the ball.

I think its great to sign domestic players, but our coach isn't exactly a huge step-up from dm.

I agree but I voted for Friend anyway.

billyfly
09-08-2009, 03:37 PM
How about this as an idea? The CSA does TFC a favour and plays the MLS champion in a friendly. This way we see how they stack up.

If we like what we see, we sign the whole lot of 'em.

billyfly
09-08-2009, 03:48 PM
HOLD THE PHONE!

DANNY DICHIO as the Score : The 34-year-old will announce his retirement at a press conference on Wednesday morning. Contrary to other reports this press conference is not to introduce Julian De Guzman. Sources close to De Guzman informed me today that the Canadian international will definitely not be introduced at that press conference.

Shakes McQueen
09-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Must say, I'm pretty surprised at how evenly distributed the votes are.

- Scott

Gobi
09-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Dejan Jakovic!

karlosarmenta
09-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Stephen Hart as coach

poppamidnight
09-08-2009, 05:20 PM
None - We have to many players to keep through the upcoming expansion drafts....

Why sign em only to loose em to Vancouver?

Pachuco
09-08-2009, 05:21 PM
I picked Atiba. But I also think Mike Klukowski would be an incredible signing. He is easily 500 times better then Jimmy at LB and I think would really solidify that defense.

Shakes McQueen
09-08-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm shocked Klukowski only has a single vote, because you're right, he's an immense upgrade over Jimmy B, at the one position we have almost no depth.

- Scott

ArmenJBX
09-08-2009, 05:58 PM
David Edgar. Young, talented, has english experience, and from what I've seen, is very solid. If we signed him and bumped Jimmy B (me? couldn't be :D) up a bit, we'd have a decent left side.

ArmenJBX
09-08-2009, 05:59 PM
and another player I like is Patrice Bernier

ArmenJBX
09-08-2009, 06:39 PM
I don't know if the website has something up, but I posted the previous post (and other posts) at 6:59 and the forum main page shows that the patrice bernier post was made at 7:38, and it changes every minute. Anyone know why?

NF-FC
09-08-2009, 06:41 PM
McKenna!

Manutd #1
09-08-2009, 07:44 PM
a player that is young not on the list and actually a realistic target as he wouldnt cost a fortune is jaime peters, he would be our true winger we need and he is like 23 or something, doest play much for championship side ipswitch if he doesnt break the squad this year he should consider a move

my other unrealistic target would be simeon jackson he is i think 20 and mark my words he will be in the premier league if not january then next year for sure

Baggio2TFC
09-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Hart, Dansovic and Dichio....Get'er done MO, Get'er done!!!

ArmenJBX
09-08-2009, 07:52 PM
How about that Jamie Peters guy?

Heathen
09-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Kevin McKenna

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-08-2009, 08:37 PM
wheres the none of the above option? we dont really want to become another canadian national team, one is shitty enough. Toronto FC must be their own club
not another version of the Nats..and bring in the best possible players based on skill not nationality.

werewolf
09-08-2009, 08:44 PM
^ If nationality doesn't matter, why woud you say "none of the above" if the player we can bring in is more skilled then any other and happens to be Canadian?

ACSertL
09-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Johnathan De Guzman :lol:

[/canofworms]

Whoop
09-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Good one AC. LOL

LucaGol
09-08-2009, 09:51 PM
No love for Issey?

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-08-2009, 09:53 PM
^ If nationality doesn't matter, why woud you say "none of the above" if the player we can bring in is more skilled then any other and happens to be Canadian?

Because i see how a canadian team plays and performs (nats) and i want better for TFC..and none of the above was there as no real good player i would want,,JDG is the only Canadian the team should be trying to land.
Paul Stalteri im surprised was mentioned as hes way past it.

Shakes McQueen
09-08-2009, 09:55 PM

Because he's mighty, that's why!

- Scott

Lucky Strike
09-08-2009, 10:06 PM
To the 13 people (so far) who've voted for Hume: he hasn't yet displayed that he can regain the form he had before he was assaulted. He really shouldn't be a target for TFC; he was in the past, but shouldn't be currently.

Shaughno
09-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Atiba or Edgar. Probably our most unrealistic picks, but seriously... they would be amazing additions.

London
09-09-2009, 08:08 AM
i voted Friend because we need some height up front and it is realistic that we could sign him

Manutd #1
09-09-2009, 08:17 AM
i voted Friend because we need some height up front and it is realistic that we could sign him

How would friend be realistic he is a consistant starter in germany, he was injured much of last year and is now recovering.

Macksam
09-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Because i see how a canadian team plays and performs (nats) and i want better for TFC..and none of the above was there as no real good player i would want,,JDG is the only Canadian the team should be trying to land.
Paul Stalteri im surprised was mentioned as hes way past it.
Kluks would be the best left back in MLS by far.

Alarius
09-09-2009, 11:38 AM
The Hutch!!

ilikemusic
09-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Jaime Peters!!!

:canada:

Dirk Diggler
09-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Its probably not realistic (because of his views on field turf) but I would want Radz here in Toronto. I think all the other guys listed are not realistic due to the fact that they still have a bright future ahead of them in Europe (aside from Stalteri).

Dirk Diggler
09-09-2009, 12:30 PM
a player that is young not on the list and actually a realistic target as he wouldnt cost a fortune is jaime peters, he would be our true winger we need and he is like 23 or something, doest play much for championship side ipswitch if he doesnt break the squad this year he should consider a move

my other unrealistic target would be simeon jackson he is i think 20 and mark my words he will be in the premier league if not january then next year for sure

Yeah that is a good suggestion too. Peters has tremendous pace and can provide good service from the wing. Plus I don't think his lack of height will be issue over here.

GuelphStorm2007
09-09-2009, 12:47 PM
I voted for Klukowski

mmmikey
09-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Mike Klukowski all the way... big upgrade at LB, gets forward well and can cross like a mofo.

tfcmanu
09-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Alex Bunbury - :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Bunbury

Fort York Redcoat
09-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Whichever will play for us and not need DP status. I want to see as many of our National side playing in front of me as possible as long as they are happy playing at this level.

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Whichever will play for us and not need DP status. I want to see as many of our National side playing in front of me as possible as long as they are happy playing at this level.

even if that means lack of success for TFC league wise? our Canadian players cannot make the effort to play for WCQ what makes you think a
TFC team with national team players would be any better? I would rather Mo go to south america and get some talent from there from the lower divisions in brazil, argentina bring them over get them canadian citizenship and have them qualify for the mls north american content that way..and the nats might improve that way with players that canactually play

Manutd #1
09-09-2009, 08:06 PM
even if that means lack of success for TFC league wise? our Canadian players cannot make the effort to play for WCQ what makes you think a
TFC team with national team players would be any better? I would rather Mo go to south america and get some talent from there from the lower divisions in brazil, argentina bring them over get them canadian citizenship and have them qualify for the mls north american content that way..and the nats might improve that way with players that canactually play

vitti for over 300k a year is that the argentina and brazil players we should be bringing in???? hasnt worked out so far

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-10-2009, 11:29 AM
vitti for over 300k a year is that the argentina and brazil players we should be bringing in???? hasnt worked out so far

I have no problem with Vitti, hes fast moves the ball, his only weakness he struggles on Field turf, which most players outside NA would do anyways.If we had GRASS then you would see a different player/.

Technorgasm
09-10-2009, 11:39 AM
CHARLES

(defender Vancity shitcaps)

bangersandmash
09-10-2009, 11:47 AM
These would be the same CNMT that couldn't even make a credible world-cup run in a weak group? (seriously, only Oceania is weaker!). If the issue is finding new Canadian talent I think we'd be better served looking for quality players who were "too good" for the CNMT or as yet undiscovered. (yes, his name dare not be spoken but he's currently on a physio table somewhere in the greater Manchester area)

Fort York Redcoat
09-10-2009, 12:53 PM
^Those player (yes singular) would want to come to MLS, come to our plastic pitch, why? TFC should be a lure for the top Canadian talent to play in front of a crowd that is starved to see their own players perform live. Soon we'll have real competition for that in Vancouver but for now, we are the top attraction for the sport in Canada.

This team like others capitals in the world should be a start and an end for the best our nation has to offer. We still have to build to earn the reputation to get the best Canadians at their prime.

oh and Mighty, you've given up on Canada long ago as I've given up on your opinion on the subject.

Manutd #1
09-10-2009, 01:51 PM
I have no problem with Vitti, hes fast moves the ball, his only weakness he struggles on Field turf, which most players outside NA would do anyways.If we had GRASS then you would see a different player/.

He plays on grass on the road and never looks good there has been maybe 2 games where he looked good and they were both at home, he has some good dribbling skills other then that he has nothing, his shots are weak he hold the ball to long and loses it, he isn't good in the air, terrible tracking back. The guy plays up front and has like 4 goals in 4 years.

werewolf
09-10-2009, 01:58 PM
our Canadian players cannot make the effort to play for WCQ what makes you think a
TFC team with national team players would be any better?

Because the key players on teams that knocked us out of the WC are based in solid European leagues that are superior to the MLS.

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-10-2009, 02:02 PM
These would be the same CNMT that couldn't even make a credible world-cup run in a weak group? (seriously, only Oceania is weaker!). If the issue is finding new Canadian talent I think we'd be better served looking for quality players who were "too good" for the CNMT or as yet undiscovered. (yes, his name dare not be spoken but he's currently on a physio table somewhere in the greater Manchester area)

you could put our full CMNT in the MLS and they would struggle to make the playoffs..Concacaf is what it is..and there is no excuse for not at least getting to the HEX..but that might be at least another decade for canada if not longer.

ginkster88
09-13-2009, 10:14 AM
From a Canadian soccer perspective, I love TFC signing CMNT players, as long as the quality is right. Having key national team players in the news and somewhat in public consciousness will do a great deal to raise the profile of our national side, and attract a few more supporters.

Yohan
09-13-2009, 10:36 AM
From a Canadian soccer perspective, I love TFC signing CMNT players, as long as the quality is right. Having key national team players in the news and somewhat in public consciousness will do a great deal to raise the profile of our national side, and attract a few more supporters.
lol. soon, all the Voyageurs will be TFC supporters :p

but seriously. attracting good Canadian players is good. it means we can use the international slots better to our advantage

Stryker
09-13-2009, 12:02 PM
I'd take Simeon Jackson in a heartbeat.
It's a pipe dream though cause Gills already has European superteams sniffing around.

Canadian Blue
09-13-2009, 12:11 PM
None.............we have enough shite players as it is. Seriously why stop at Canada lets go to any country that hasn't qualified for the WC in 23 (soon to be 24) years I bet their national teams have tons to offer as well!!

Keyman
09-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Yeah Simeon Jackson, didn't even really have to really think about it. Obviously we will never see Simeon Jackson in TFC red, at least in the foreseeable future, but he is probably Canada's brightest young player...plus he can score goals!

rocker
09-13-2009, 01:07 PM
I'd take Issey Nakajima-Farran on the wing... he'd be right for this league I think.

ballerz
09-13-2009, 03:33 PM
I'd take Issey Nakajima-Farran on the wing... he'd be right for this league I think.

Realistic target. But he might be so average that there is no use to have him except he is Canadian. (i.e.) Harmse, Pozniak, Canizalez

TFC07
09-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Stephen Hart. We've clearly made the transition from British (Robbo, Dichio, and for footballing purposes Brennan)to Canadian (Serioux, De Ro, De Guzman, Gerba) for the spine of the team, now lets do the same for the coach, make the transition to TFC2.0 complete.

Good point. Hart will do wonders for TFC.

Its probably not realistic (because of his views on field turf) but I would want Radz here in Toronto. I think all the other guys listed are not realistic due to the fact that they still have a bright future ahead of them in Europe (aside from Stalteri).

If we do end up getting grass next year, I could see Stalteri playing for TFC. I think Radz is too old to play pro soccer anymore.

Lateralus
09-13-2009, 04:34 PM
you could put our full CMNT in the MLS and they would struggle to make the playoffs..Concacaf is what it is..and there is no excuse for not at least getting to the HEX..but that might be at least another decade for canada if not longer.

Ok, I believe you :rolleyes:

prizby
09-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Edgar, Hutchinson, and Jackson all have a bright future in Europe, I would hate to see them sign for TFC this early

its a tough one for me to vote on, but Rob Friend and Iain Hume are the two I would like to see, im leaning towards friend, but I think Hume is more realistic

Bender
09-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Owen Hargreaves :D

prizby
09-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Owen Hargreaves :D

not on the mens national team

DoubleUp
09-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Hume or Radz!

Ossington Mental Youth
09-14-2009, 12:41 AM
Im a fan of Issey as well and id vote for him as hes most realistic (IMO) and hed do well here as well

prizby
09-14-2009, 01:44 AM
Im a fan of Issey as well and id vote for him as hes most realistic (IMO) and hed do well here as well

need a winger too

Broadview
09-14-2009, 05:54 AM
If grass is indeed on the way, lets let Jason De Vos lace 'em up again and put his money where his mouth is! ;)

Atiba would be awesome though.

maninb
09-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Easy Ian Hume...only consistent scorer mentioned who can make his own goals by beating people one-on-one...Friend would be nice but he relies too much on people crossing the ball too him...not one of our strong points..

Ossington Mental Youth
09-14-2009, 09:41 AM
need a winger too

HA that too

harryhotspur
09-14-2009, 05:19 PM
I voted Hume. Drop either Vitti or Barrett (or both? ;) and he could play the right sided striker in a 4-3-3. He's often played as a RM for Canada, so I think he could also give the team a bit of width when needed. I've not seen him much at club level, but when I've seen him play for Canada he gives everything for the team (e.g. when he came off the bench to score a goal and then saved a shot off the line with his heel in Canada's 2-1 defeat against the USA in 2007 which gave the team a chance to get back into the game, although we ended up getting shanked by the ref in extra time)

We could also really use Kevin McKenna though... one of the few players who I thought carried himself well in Canada's recent WCQ. He's not fast, but would be better than Garcia.

Macksam
09-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Uhh, a full Canadian men's national team would probably be first in the MLS.

DoubleUp
09-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Hume has the tenacity that we could really use on this team. That never quit attitude would do us wonders.

Manutd #1
09-14-2009, 09:21 PM
and hume has proven he can play on the wing something we desperatly need

InTheCrowd
09-15-2009, 06:20 AM
Why does the final Canadian spot need to be a national team player? We're just going to end up complaining once they have international duty.

Luanda
09-15-2009, 06:27 AM
We need 6'-4" defenders, regardless of where they were born!

Fort York Redcoat
09-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Why does the final Canadian spot need to be a national team player? We're just going to end up complaining once they have international duty.

Who is? I'm sure as hell not. What international duty? You know a Canada match coming up any time soon? I want in.

InTheCrowd
09-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Who is? I'm sure as hell not. What international duty? You know a Canada match coming up any time soon? I want in.

Friendlies but nothing competitive coming up soon. But how short are we going to be making these contracts? Just sign another young Canadian.

Fort York Redcoat
09-16-2009, 07:42 AM
^That would be a lovely comprimise but I don't fancy these limitations to be put on our management. It's enough of a challenge to get the best talent possible and it's Country before Club for me.

Macksam
09-17-2009, 02:43 PM
^That would be a lovely comprimise but I don't fancy these limitations to be put on our management. It's enough of a challenge to get the best talent possible and it's Country before Club for me.
How very true.