PDA

View Full Version : Beckham partnering with Saputo in Montreal, according to NY Times!

ensco
09-07-2009, 07:01 PM
I didn't find this elsewhere, it's been on the NYT website for a few hours, if I missed it, mods please merge/delete

are you kidding me?

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/07/in-montreal-parlez-vous-beckham/

S_D
09-07-2009, 07:14 PM
that is insane. Mtl has already been a bit of a circus and there is no need to add more to it.

wzhxvy
09-07-2009, 07:21 PM
That is payback for Saputo yapping too much...now he has Beckham inflicted upon him as I would bet Garber is behind this forced marriage. Saputo deserves it....

Cashcleaner
09-07-2009, 07:31 PM
huh...huh...hehe...hehehe...ha...hahaha...HA! HAHAHA! HA! HA! HAHAHAHA!

Oh man. This is too funny. If true, I mean. It sounds completely legit - the premise, of course. I mean, I don't really expect the scenario to play out, but it does seem doable.

Look, the fact is that Montreal is pretty much a lock for getting a franchise in the next couple of years. This Beckham story is just one potential avenue the club can go through.

egoodwin
09-07-2009, 08:25 PM
More reason to hate the limp act

actually he's quite fitting for their name

billyfly
09-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Montreal must be his kinda city, fruity and the like.

Redcoe15
09-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Problably doesn't bode well for dreamers in New York or Miami who believe their cities deserve MLS teams.

Oldtimer
09-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Beckham and Mr. Cheese. Somehow seems fitting to me. :lol:

ensco
09-07-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm guessing Beckham is stepping into George Gillett's shoes here.

Recall that Saputo and Gillett were the original bid partners, but Gillett has sold the Habs and his Liverpool interest is believed to be for sale...

S_D
09-07-2009, 10:17 PM
More reason to hate the limp act

actually he's quite fitting for their name

I am sure there is a joke somewhere involving limp and golden balls :D

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-07-2009, 10:23 PM
This story is too much...If beckham gets a franchise, and all the power to him,
it wont be in Montreal..Your most likely to see him own a team in either New York,
or my odds on favorite San Diego...with san diego he would not be far from his LA home . But is this ownership thing just a game with him or is he serious??

S_D
09-07-2009, 10:41 PM
it is in his contract so I assume serious.

flatpicker
09-08-2009, 07:22 AM
well this would be an interesting twist.

Pookie
09-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Possible.

I've got to think that New York is the bigger target though. Lots of noise out of there, from the new stadium to Henry. Beckham would be one who could get the MLS franchise(s) there on the front page in an extremely crowded sports market.

I'm sure there would be "influence" exerted to make that happen if he was open to the idea.

Fort York Redcoat
09-09-2009, 02:13 PM
^Agree. Becks for Montreal? I think he'd want a bigger city to target. Plus he wants to take over America, not Canada. I hope. Isn't he done here, anyway?

C.Ronaldo
09-09-2009, 02:36 PM
a proven market .....hes a business man.

not hard to see why he'd consider it.

he can own more than one team.

Parkdale
09-09-2009, 02:42 PM
^Agree. Becks for Montreal? I think he'd want a bigger city to target.

technically, after the 'Trophee Des Championes' cup in Montreal, there isn't a bigger city in Canada/America for international football.

ensco
09-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Old Striker, who pretty much correctly called what was going on with Dichio two weeks ago, points out that this is just Beckham letting MLS know that he intends to fully enforce all his rights under his contract. Which may mean Beckham's real reason for putting this out there, is to negotiate his exit from that contract on the most advantageous terms possible.

Hitcho
09-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Old Striker, who pretty much correctly called what was going on with Dichio two weeks ago, points out that this is just Beckham letting MLS know that he intends to fully enforce all his rights under his contract. Which may mean Beckham's real reason for putting this out there, is to negotiate his exit from that contract on the most advantageous terms possible.

That sounds plausible.

We're missing details of course, but I don;t really see how that clause could be enforced to be honest. How would it work? He can;t force any current ownership to let him "control" an existing franchise unless it's on terms that they agree to. He can't just assume "control" of a new franchise because the bid team and abckers will have done all the work and won't just say oh fuck it then we'll give the team to beckham if you like. And MLS can't just stick in a new franchise somewhere to satsify this clause because it has to be a viable location etc. And what does "control" mean anyway? Own? Assist in the running of? GM spot? How do any of those fit with existing owners and having beckham foisted on them?

Just can't see what is meant here or how it could be enforced, even if beckham wanted to. And legally speaking, if you can't enforce it then it's worthless.

Fort York Redcoat
09-10-2009, 12:21 PM
technically, after the 'Trophee Des Championes' cup in Montreal, there isn't a bigger city in Canada/America for international football.

Technically you're funny. I wonder if Becks knew about it.

Anyway, I agree this could be posturing for a better exit and if he were to go through with it his ego would require facetime with the public in a bigger citycentre than Montreal.

ensco
09-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Not sure this adds anything at all, but this is featured prominently in the Ottawa paper today

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Beckham+Impact+rumours+just+that/1991135/story.html