PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mr. Cummins, Barrett is not a striker

trane
09-07-2009, 08:28 AM
I heard the game on radio, I was comming back from a wedding, but I new we would lose as soon as I heard that Barrett was starting at striker. For fuck sake can we give up on this idea already?

Marco2K
09-07-2009, 09:20 AM
I agree. I am sick and tired of him

Plus Dichio is on the bench!!!

Ossington Mental Youth
09-07-2009, 09:22 AM
yeah this is ridiculous, im pretty tired of thsi as well, i appreciate his work ethic but that shit aint getting us goals

Shakes McQueen
09-07-2009, 10:27 AM
You're right - he's a winger. I couldn't believe Cummins actually started him at striker, too. Especially with some of the other options we had sitting on the bench.

- Scott

Marco2K
09-07-2009, 10:50 AM
He is not even a winger. He should be in the USL.

But i blame MO.

Cummins sucks dont get me wrong.

But the team aint that strong.

Barrett stinks
Brennan stinks
Gerba stinks
Damn

Bobo
09-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Barrett is not a professional player. But Cummins is not a professional coach.

Moe911
09-07-2009, 11:49 AM
This guys frustrated me enough with all the chances he misses. Its like he doesnt really want to score..ugh.

jloome
09-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Asked and answered. He's had so many chances and fucked them all up. Plus, when they moved him to the wing, he was even worse. He can't pass, can't shoot and can't cross, plus he times headers badly.

So, basically reading the game and gettign into space is his one skills. Sounds like he'd be a USL star.

Keyman
09-07-2009, 11:55 AM
I don't even understand how people can peg Barrett as a winger. He has horrible ball control and no ability to cross the ball accurately. Those are usually two attributes that are necessary for players on the flank.

Redcoe15
09-07-2009, 11:56 AM
This guys frustrated me enough with all the chances he misses. Its like he doesnt really want to score..ugh.
Harsh choice of words. The problem is he really doesn't know how to score at the level he's playing. Put him on the wing where he can work his tail off while those that know how to score can do their thing.

geordieboy
09-07-2009, 12:06 PM
If we had11 like him, we would be in a play off place, you Toronto supporters (allegedly) make me puke

Roogsy
09-07-2009, 12:15 PM
I don't even understand how people can peg Barrett as a winger. He has horrible ball control and no ability to cross the ball accurately. Those are usually two attributes that are necessary for players on the flank.

3 seasons we have had practically no one who could cross the ball well at all, regardless if they were designated as wingers or not.

Our crosses into the box for 3 entire seasons have been utter crap.

The only player who occasionally gave a nice cross in was Ricketts, but the rest of his game didn't help him impress enough to stay. Other than that, I can't remember the last time (or the first time for that matter) I said "what a nice cross!".

It's the same problems with set pieces. We are worst in the league on set pieces. I am sure opposing teams don't even have to practice defending set pieces against us, we suck at them. From corners to free kicks, the only time we have scored is the handful of times we've had bullets come from the free kicks that have gone in, but they are so rare, opposing teams simply accept the odds of that happening and concentrate on punishing us elsewhere.

Mikey
09-07-2009, 12:16 PM
If we had11 like him, we would be in a play off place, you Toronto supporters (allegedly) make me puke

LOL!

funniest post EVAH!!!

Redcoe15
09-07-2009, 12:22 PM
If we had 11 like him, we'd set an MLS record for fewest goals scored by a team in one season that would never be broken. :p

jloome
09-07-2009, 12:24 PM
3 seasons we have had practically no one who could cross the ball well at all, regardless if they were designated as wingers or not.

Our crosses into the box for 3 entire seasons have been utter crap.

The only player who occasionally gave a nice cross in was Ricketts, but the rest of his game didn't help him impress enough to stay. Other than that, I can't remember the last time (or the first time for that matter) I said "what a nice cross!".

It's the same problems with set pieces. We are worst in the league on set pieces. I am sure opposing teams don't even have to practice defending set pieces against us, we suck at them. From corners to free kicks, the only time we have scored is the handful of times we've had bullets come from the free kicks that have gone in, but they are so rare, opposing teams simply accept the odds of that happening and concentrate on punishing us elsewhere.

Ronnie O'Brien. Played great for us. Turf and, maybe, family issues did that in. Did anyone ever sign him after his contract dispute release at San Jose?

jloome
09-07-2009, 12:25 PM
LOL!

funniest post EVAH!!!

The thing is, if work ethic were all it took, he'd be right. Chad's a fucking workhorse and his movement is great. But he's 24 now, and the technique just ain't gonna come. There are simply much, much better options out there.

Shakes McQueen
09-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Ronnie O'Brien. Played great for us. Turf and, maybe, family issues did that in. Did anyone ever sign him after his contract dispute release at San Jose?

According to Wikipedia, he's out of contract.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
09-07-2009, 12:29 PM
The thing is, if work ethic were all it took, he'd be right. Chad's a fucking workhorse and his movement is great. But he's 24 now, and the technique just ain't gonna come. There are simply much, much better options out there.

I mostly agree with this. Chad is the kind of player who is great to bring on when you're up 2-0, and you just want to run the other team into the ground, because he's constantly moving around - one of the only players on our team who actually does.

But he's definitely pretty close to peaked as a player. I'd like to see him focus on crossing better, because I think that would make him a serviceable winger, but the finishing is not likely to get better.

- Scott

sweetlemon69
09-07-2009, 12:30 PM
I think he'd be great as an attacking mid. or if there's 3 up front, a fall behind striker

Roogsy
09-07-2009, 12:35 PM

If we bring in grass...will he considering coming back and coming off the bench for us? I'd take him!

I loved Ronnie. He got screwed in San Jose....his own doing of course.

I can't blame him for wanting to get off the turf. I noticed it this year after a tournament on pitch vs a tournament on grass. My knee felt 100x worse after playing on turf. I am now a believer of the player's dislike of that crap. Do away with it and bring us back Ronnie. Having him as a bench player would be an awesome addition.

But as for his great crosses, unfortunately we saw too few of them. He spent the first year with us injured for most of it and he was gone by the 2nd.

Shakes McQueen
09-07-2009, 12:56 PM
If we bring in grass...will he considering coming back and coming off the bench for us? I'd take him!

I loved Ronnie. He got screwed in San Jose....his own doing of course.

I can't blame him for wanting to get off the turf. I noticed it this year after a tournament on pitch vs a tournament on grass. My knee felt 100x worse after playing on turf. I am now a believer of the player's dislike of that crap. Do away with it and bring us back Ronnie. Having him as a bench player would be an awesome addition.

But as for his great crosses, unfortunately we saw too few of them. He spent the first year with us injured for most of it and he was gone by the 2nd.

Didn't it come out on here, that Ronnie basically slagged the city of Toronto, and said he hated it here?

In addition to the turf, obviously.

- Scott

jloome
09-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Didn't it come out on here, that Ronnie basically slagged the city of Toronto, and said he hated it here?

In addition to the turf, obviously.

- Scott

No, that was suggested several times but the only reference was an unsourced blog. He did say his knees were taking a beating on the turf.

shwade
09-07-2009, 05:33 PM
No, that was suggested several times but the only reference was an unsourced blog. He did say his knees were taking a beating on the turf.

It was Morgan Campbell from the Star.

cmonyoureds
09-07-2009, 05:52 PM
good grief. as soon as we lost i knew there'd be at least one ridiculous thread hacking Barrett again. it's like there weren't 9 other outfield players out there.... why haven't you started 9 other threads on individual performances???????

forza_tfc
09-07-2009, 06:13 PM
You're right - he's a winger. I couldn't believe Cummins actually started him at striker, too. Especially with some of the other options we had sitting on the bench.

- Scott

Not even a winger. Have you seen him give any good crosses? Can't even pass from a dead ball (e.g., too much weight on the fancy free kick play).

Sullivan
09-07-2009, 06:40 PM
CB peaked at UCLA and fell into MLS as a Gen A!

He reminds me of the kid in a training session where no matter what the skill, activity, or drill is, it always breaks down at his turn.

His first touch is brutal; at full pace his ball mastery is very poor. His ability to service is questionable, unless under pressure, then its horrible.
Caprioius describes his finishing ability.

His saving grace is his athleticism - that's it.

Why he's still pulling a jersey over his head every week is beyond explanation, or perhaps tied to an extended contract at $202,500.

Lucky Strike
09-07-2009, 07:05 PM

John Carver, is that you?

phonzo
09-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Gerba stinks

what the hell did Gerba do? The other names I agree with :p

Ossington Mental Youth
09-07-2009, 08:30 PM
what the hell did Gerba do? The other names I agree with :p

yeah i dont think Gerbas had a chance to stink yet, hes out of shape but we still dont know what hes capable of yet

trane
09-08-2009, 10:58 AM
I mostly agree with this. Chad is the kind of player who is great to bring on when you're up 2-0, and you just want to run the other team into the ground, because he's constantly moving around - one of the only players on our team who actually does.

But he's definitely pretty close to peaked as a player. I'd like to see him focus on crossing better, because I think that would make him a serviceable winger, but the finishing is not likely to get better.

- Scott

Agreed. If he has a future in football, at least at this level, it is as a winger, he is just not a finisher.

DangerRed
09-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Agreed. If he has a future in football, at least at this level, it is as a winger, he is just not a finisher.

Yet we keep starting him as striker match after match.

You know, we're clearly missing something here, because no rational person keeps repeating the same action over and over again and expects a different result.

If Cummins sees, game after game after game, that Barrett is a huge, tireless worker, but can't finish for shit, why does he keep starting them as one of our key offensive weapons?

There's two possible explanations: either A) Barrett is about to break out and start scoring goals in bunches or B) Cummins is not a rational man.

SilverSamurai
09-08-2009, 11:09 AM
I'd have to agree with this.
He's 1 of the few players that actually does give an effort.
Retrain him as a winger in the off season. Give the guy a fair shot. If he doesn't do well, trade him.
But he's not a striker anymore. He had a chance, it's not working.

I also want to know what Gerba did wrong!

trane
09-08-2009, 11:10 AM
^ At this point, I have to say Cummins is not rational, it is too late in the season, to keep on hoping someone to brake out. We are prety well toast, once again, and it did not have to be.

trane
09-08-2009, 11:11 AM
I'd have to agree with this.
He's 1 of the few players that actually does give an effort.
Retrain him as a winger in the off season. Give the guy a fair shot. If he doesn't do well, trade him.
But he's not a striker anymore. He had a chance, it's not working.

I also want to know what Gerba did wrong!

Nothing. He has not had enough time, and too be fair he is the type that needs service, he is not a creator, he is a pure finisher, he puts himslef in good position to finish, others most feed him. But he has not been on the pitch enought for that.

SilverSamurai
09-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Nothing. He has not had enough time, and too be fair he is the type that needs service, he is not a creator, he is a pure finisher, he puts himslef in good position to finish, others most feed him. But he has not been on the pitch enought for that.
Bull in the China shop. Let him loose and give him a chance.

Whoop
09-08-2009, 11:17 AM
For all of Barrett's fault, I guess it was his fault no one was marking Connor Casey. I guess it was his fault that Sanyang got two yellows. I guess it was his fault Serioux had a brain cramp and thought he was playing hockey as opposed to football.

Last I checked, football was a team sport.

And on Saturday night, the starting 11 laid a stinker. To lay the blame on one guy, to me, is unfair.

I don't mind Chad Barrett, but not as a striker. I mean Chicago supporters warn us last year when everyone here was ranting and raving about him. I mean I guess it's his fault too that Cummins keeps lining him up as a striker.

trane
09-08-2009, 11:21 AM
^ Whoopee that is my point, I do not think that Barrett shuold be off the team, is just that he is not a striker. The fact that Cummins insists on playing him there speaks volumes of the managment of the team.

I do not blame him for the loss, but when I saw that he was starting there, I new that once again we had made wrong choices for the team.

Whoop
09-08-2009, 11:26 AM
^^
I agree.

The problems on the this team run deeper than Chad Barrett.

trane
09-08-2009, 11:29 AM
^ FUCK YES. The problems are deep. I know it is not a popular view, but I think we need to get a whole new managment team, and rebuild this from the ground up. This does not mean we lose everyone, we just look at everything and re-avalaute evryone and everything.

Davenport
09-08-2009, 12:37 PM
I think he'd be great as an attacking mid. or if there's 3 up front, a fall behind striker

He is a fall behind striker.......

He's falling behind everyone in the scoring race......