PDA

View Full Version : Onward! - I've seen enough

Ben Knight
09-06-2009, 01:21 PM
The news is not good, TFC fans.

http://onwardsoccer.com/?p=1560

jabbronies
09-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Terrifying, Weapon after weapon, and they can all play. Together, they can dominate. But other names will be gone. Popular ones. It’s going to be a lot for the rest of the roster to deal with, in a league that is already infuriatingly unpredictable.

I don't like the sounds of that.
And if we don't make the playoffs and do end up dumping these popular names, it will be an even bigger pill to choke on.

It's one thing to release players in the off season. It's another to do it so late in the game. Feels more desperate than smart IMO.

CoachGT
09-06-2009, 01:38 PM
The red card on Serioux was earned - he went out of his way to make contact with no regard for the ball, last man back. That should be called anywhere, although I might have called it a yellow instead of red. Sanyang earned his sending off, too. He was reckless all night. His cards were not the individual plays but the accumulation of poor decisions and bad challenges. Sanyang's apparent disregard for clean challenges were evident throughout the night. He is a talent, but he's got to make much better decisions as a professional.

And I still have no idea as to why Garcia was subbed out at the half unless he was more seriously injured than it appeared, but then, why not take him out when the work was done on him on the sideline?

Took me a little longer than six minutes, but I agree with your conclusions Ben.

London
09-06-2009, 01:43 PM
we will win on saturday just so our hopes can be built up and then torn down again.

classic torture technique

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-06-2009, 01:54 PM
I'll agree with the no playoffs, I've felt that way since they failed to strengthen the team in the transfer window. How can you have a football team without a single winger? It's a little like having a team without a goalie.

Chevy
09-06-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't like the sounds of that.
And if we don't make the playoffs and do end up dumping these popular names, it will be an even bigger pill to choke on.

It's one thing to release players in the off season. It's another to do it so late in the game. Feels more desperate than smart IMO.

Sure we have a bunch of popular players. You could argue that with the exception of Barrett, the departed Velez and maybe Pablo "we" like all our players. But this popular and likeable group doesn't look like it's going to make the playoffs.

Desperate times....

Shakes McQueen
09-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Good article Ben.

I don't care if some fan favourites have to go. At this point, I think it's the hero worship of some of our players, that is contributing to holding this team back. You don't have to look hard to see that, for example, Robbo and Brennan have had really weak seasons by their standards.

If this team seriously doesn't make the playoffs this season, I'm not sure what to do with Mo. Cummins I support unloading already as head coach. But when it comes to Mo, some days I support sacking him, and other days I wonder of it makes sense to give him one more off-season to fill the huge holes this roster has, and if the team gets off to another ho-hum start, fire him after a handful of games.

- Scott

ArmenJBX
09-06-2009, 03:24 PM
I wonder if Mo has an arsenal of good news that he's holding back for when shit hits the fan. Everytime we've had a bad moment, he comes in and gives us something good. Dichiogate happens, he gets JDG back...

I dunno...let him have his 5 years. Let's see where we stand then.

Redcoe15
09-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Good article Ben.

I don't care if some fan favourites have to go. At this point, I think it's the hero worship of some of our players, that is contributing to holding this team back. You don't have to look hard to see that, for example, Robbo and Brennan have had really weak seasons by their standards.

If this team seriously doesn't make the playoffs this season, I'm not sure what to do with Mo. Cummins I support unloading already as head coach. But when it comes to Mo, some days I support sacking him, and other days I wonder of it makes sense to give him one more off-season to fill the huge holes this roster has, and if the team gets off to another ho-hum start, fire him after a handful of games.

- Scott
What he said!

Blizzard
09-06-2009, 05:19 PM
The red card on Serioux was earned - he went out of his way to make contact with no regard for the ball, last man back. That should be called anywhere, although I might have called it a yellow instead of red. Sanyang earned his sending off, too. He was reckless all night. His cards were not the individual plays but the accumulation of poor decisions and bad challenges. Sanyang's apparent disregard for clean challenges were evident throughout the night. He is a talent, but he's got to make much better decisions as a professional.

And I still have no idea as to why Garcia was subbed out at the half unless he was more seriously injured than it appeared, but then, why not take him out when the work was done on him on the sideline?

Took me a little longer than six minutes, but I agree with your conclusions Ben.

According to Cummins, Garcia had blurred vision at the half. I also read somewhere that he was ill after the match so it sure sounds like a touch of concussion. I don't recall the play where was injured but I'm guessing that it was some sort of head to head thing.

It was good to see that he didn't go down screaming as soon as he saw blood as others sometimes do.

I agree on your Sanyang conclusion. He probably should have received the second yellow earlier when he mid-aired the Rapids MF in the side of the head. I still love the kid but he's still feeling his way through.

I also agree on Adrian. Definitely a card but I too probably would have gone yellow ALTHOUGH the replay did sort of show the elbow coming way out. Vaughn may have had his mind made up by that elbow.

Aroundtheworld
09-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Win the championship within 5 years???

This team won't even make the playoffs within 5 years.

The MLS is a coaches league, Toronto doesn't have a good coach

CretanBull
09-06-2009, 05:27 PM
I wish I could argue with you Ben...but I can't, sadly you're right.

Kaz
09-06-2009, 05:48 PM
it's time for a total cleaning house for the club.
Certian players need to be traded, and staff needs to go.. lots of it. There is serious issues with the club at a fundamental level.

Someone needs to clear things. I'm disgused by this mix and match crap... I don't care that they are losing I care that they look like total shite on the field in a totally random pattern.

It may be a league issue too... something need to change. Lots...

jabbronies
09-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Win the championship within 5 years???

This team won't even make the playoffs within 5 years.

The MLS is a coaches league, Toronto doesn't have a good coach

These are the managers that have won MLS Cups

Bruce Arena won twice with D.C (Runner up once)
Bob Gansler won once with K.C (Runner up once)
Steven Sampson won once with L.A
Thomas Rongen won once with D.C
Bob Bradley won once with Chicago (Runner up once)
Peter Nowak won once with D.C
Frank Yallop won twice with San Jose
Sigi Smith won twice with L.A. & Columbus (Runner up once)
Dominic Kinnear won twice with Houston

Since 2002 Steve Nicol has coached New England and has been an MLS cup runner up 4 time (2002, 2005, 2006, 2007)

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-06-2009, 06:15 PM
According to Cummins, Garcia had blurred vision at the half. I also read somewhere that he was ill after the match so it sure sounds like a touch of concussion. I don't recall the play where was injured but I'm guessing that it was some sort of head to head thing.

It was good to see that he didn't go down screaming as soon as he saw blood as others sometimes do.

I agree on your Sanyang conclusion. He probably should have received the second yellow earlier when he mid-aired the Rapids MF in the side of the head. I still love the kid but he's still feeling his way through.

I also agree on Adrian. Definitely a card but I too probably would have gone yellow ALTHOUGH the replay did sort of show the elbow coming way out. Vaughn may have had his mind made up by that elbow.

I Like serioux but it was a red..he just plowed into him...Sanyang i thought was unlucky though. all in all the Ref had a decent game, i guess after the MLS fired 3 refs on Friday they really had to get their act together and call good games.