PDA

View Full Version : Our Record Against "Playoff Teams" This Year

TFC USA
09-06-2009, 12:52 PM
You want to judge whether or not this is a playoff team? Here's our record against teams that, as of today, would make the postseason.

Houston - 1 draw, 1 loss
Columbus - 2 draws, 1 loss (that loss to me changed our season)
Chicago - 1 loss
LA Galaxy - 1 loss
Seattle - 1 draw, 1 loss
New England - 1 win, 1 draw
Chivas USA - 1 win, 1 loss
Colorado - 1 loss

That adds up to....

2 wins, 5 draws, 7 losses. 11 goals scored, 20 goals against.

Our other 6 wins were against the Shite Bulls, Kansas City, San Jose, and DC United.

This is not a playoff team. And even if we make it via miracle, the odds are we're going out in round 1.

DangerRed
09-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Here's something else to keep in mind: if we're to hit the 42 points that Cummins is after, we must win three of the remaining six and draw at least two. That means we're allowed to lose ONE MORE GAME for the rest of the season.

You tell me, can TFC win three of six left? It's possible, but very unlikely. Can we end the season with only one more loss? Highly fucking doubtful.

No post-season this year, I'm afraid.

TFC USA
09-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Chicago, Real Salt Lake, San Jose, Shite Bulls, Colorado, and LA Galaxy.

We may actually lose 3 out of those 6.

TFC07
09-06-2009, 01:03 PM
You just crushed a little hope I had for TFC. :(

boban
09-06-2009, 01:56 PM
You just crushed a little hope I had for TFC. :(
Amazing what a little thing called stats do eh?

boban
09-06-2009, 01:57 PM
You want to judge whether or not this is a playoff team? Here's our record against teams that, as of today, would make the postseason.

Houston - 1 draw, 1 loss
Columbus - 2 draws, 1 loss (that loss to me changed our season)
Chicago - 1 loss
LA Galaxy - 1 loss
Seattle - 1 draw, 1 loss
New England - 1 win, 1 draw
Chivas USA - 1 win, 1 loss
Colorado - 1 loss

That adds up to....

2 wins, 5 draws, 7 losses. 11 goals scored, 20 goals against.

Our other 6 wins were against the Shite Bulls, Kansas City, San Jose, and DC United.

This is not a playoff team. And even if we make it via miracle, the odds are we're going out in round 1.
Good job in painting a statistical picture and a reality check for everyone on what has to be done.

Pookie
09-06-2009, 03:04 PM
The other factor that the media doesn't seem to pick up on is that our record will hurt us in the event of a tie breaker.

Tie breakers are first decided by head to head action. Goal differential is then used if they are still tied.

Only a tie with New England would give us the advantage against any of these playoff teams. Chivas has a better goal differential.

Therefore, to make the playoffs, we cannot be tied for the last spot with any of these teams except New England.

Of those not mentioned above but are in the hunt (RSL, DC United), we only win the tie break with DC United.

Redpunkfiddle
09-06-2009, 03:10 PM
The other factor that the media doesn't seem to pick up on is that our record will hurt us in the event of a tie breaker.

Tie breakers are first decided by head to head action. Goal differential is then used if they are still tied.

Only a tie with New England would give us the advantage against any of these playoff teams. Therefore, to make the playoffs, we cannot be tied for the last spot with any of these teams except New England. Of those that are in the hunt, we only win the tie break with DC United.

Except if more than two teams are tied, and then it is best ppg avg between all the teams.

Which I am sure doesn't help either.

TFC USA
09-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Got to point out those 2 wins were with Dichio playing and zero of those wins were on the road.

4 of those 11 goals scored were on the road.

Not a playoff team.

Shakes McQueen
09-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Got to point out those 2 wins were with Dichio playing and zero of those wins were on the road.

4 of those 11 goals scored were on the road.

Not a playoff team.

A team is a playoff team, if they make the playoffs. It's why just making the playoffs is important - because you will occasionally get anomalies like New York last season, who barely squeaked into the post-season, and then made it all the way to the cup final.

Not to mention that this team is so schizophrenic, we can never guess from week to week which players will show up - the one that puts in a solid effort on the road in Seattle, or the one that dies quietly in Colorado. The one that dominates Chivas at home, or the one that gets slaughtered 4-0 in Houston.

I will agree with you that playoffs are looking highly unlikely at this point. But as a fan of my team, I still hold out hope that they will get it together, and get the points we need.

- Scott

TFC USA
09-06-2009, 03:36 PM
We got slaughtered 3-0. ;)

We need wins right now. To top that we need to win against playoff bound competition like Chicago and LA.

This team is so dysfunctional I can't see even the small glimmer of hope.

MFG1
09-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Awesome because I dont want to fork over dollar one for a team that wont make it past game 1 of the playoffs.