PDA

View Full Version : I now know what it's like to be a leaf fan...

liv4evr
09-06-2009, 11:16 AM
hey all, this is my first post, but i'm a long time reader here and after the loss to the rapids and all the crap going on off the field, i now know what leaf fans feel like! i am not a leaf fan in any way and have always said they will never win anything with the way they run their team, and now the TFC red is slowly turning blue. We need a major shake up at BMO! this team has lost the plot entirely. I'll be there saturday screaming my friggin' guts out for Dichio!!!!! (some say he's my long lost twin :))

cheers!

also, any Foxes fans on here??? or is it just me representing the midlands??

Blazer
09-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Welcome to the boards L4E.

I’m a Reading Royals fan myself.

james
09-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Aston Villa!!!!

james
09-06-2009, 12:26 PM
We apparently are signing DeGuzman this week. That should have a big inpact on our team. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Darlofletch
09-06-2009, 01:15 PM
hey all, this is my first post, but i'm a long time reader here and after the loss to the rapids and all the crap going on off the field, i now know what leaf fans feel like! i am not a leaf fan in any way and have always said they will never win anything with the way they run their team, and now the TFC red is slowly turning blue. We need a major shake up at BMO! this team has lost the plot entirely. I'll be there saturday screaming my friggin' guts out for Dichio!!!!! (some say he's my long lost twin :))

cheers!

Check out the international forum, find the thread for the championship or league one wherever Leicester are, and see who you find.

and yes, TFC are very much an MLSE franchise.

Blazer
09-06-2009, 02:13 PM
We apparently are signing DeGuzman this week. That should have a big inpact on our team. Guess we will have to wait and see.

This team’s problems are deeper than what one player can do for us. De Guzman could be a difference maker for next year if other supplemental moves are made … but this team is brutal beyond the savior of one man. DeRo was supposed to be our answer for this year and although he’s played very well, the team around him – for the most part – is shyte.

Shakes McQueen
09-06-2009, 02:49 PM
This team’s problems are deeper than what one player can do for us. De Guzman could be a difference maker for next year if other supplemental moves are made … but this team is brutal beyond the savior of one man. DeRo was supposed to be our answer for this year and although he’s played very well, the team around him – for the most part – is shyte.

If we can get JDG to stay for a year or two, provided the rumours are true, I actually think we will have a pretty good core of players for the future, aside from just needing that one killer striker to pair with a Gerba, or an OBW.

- DeRo
- JDG
- Cronin
- Frei
- Gomez
- Attakora
- Sanyang

Depending on how Fellinga works out, and whether Wynne can regain some of that promise he had last season, I think that's a pretty solid list of names. We no doubt have a bit of "chaff" in our roster, than needs to be weeded out, and some holes that need t6o be filled. But I really don't think we are that far away, and throwing out the baby with the bathwater is a bit of a rash judgment after three years.

I think coaching is a big part of our problem, and I think you could make a compelling argument that MLSE need to start looking to replace our general manager. Mo has his talents, but I'm really starting to think his wheeling and dealing style is hurting team cohesion. We've also had some clear needs for the past couple of seasons now, that he has still been unable to fulfill - like a solid forward, and a reasonably capable back four (though the latter is starting to look better).

- Scott

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-06-2009, 02:57 PM

cheers!

Welcome from another Brantford citizen...actually we have won something the Canadian championship this year, which puts us ahead of the Leafs :} in winning lately. Remember TFC is only in its 3rd season, and building a winner takes time NO matter what league your in. Our supporters over
expected what this team could deliver..i sai from the start of the season .500 record could see playoff action, although it now looks like a winning record is needed..but TFC finish .500 and with the canadian championship this could still be the most successful season for the club.
the only shake up is on the playing roster,and that will happen...Dichio is going, Barrett wont be back,Brennan likely will be gone in the expansion draft, we might lose edwardss there too..so MO will have a busy off season. IF TFC can put a run of wins together the playoffs are still possible but with 6 games leaft we need to win 4 minimum,

TFC USA
09-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Just because Mo says 5 year plan doesn't mean you have to blindly follow it.

Tell me how many teams have successfully used the 5 year plan?

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-06-2009, 03:31 PM

would you rather go the way of the Blue jays...it took them 15 years to win the world series then nothing since 93 16 years and counting? why is 5 yrs too much for you and others..football is not instant coffee..and a city like Toronto that struggles to atrract big name players and keeping them in all their sports teams, patience should be a given..we have only 2 years then the 5 yr plan will be judged accordingly..but in the next two seasons we could win the chanadian championship again. advance in the CCL and make the playoff in mls...lets see what happens. christ if the Leaf fans can wait 42 + yrs and not create a stink about it then 5 yrs is really nothing

Shakes McQueen
09-06-2009, 03:32 PM
The five-year plan thing is nonsense in a sport like soccer. Five year plans are reasonable for NFL teams, or NBA teams, that generally don't have an immense pool of world-class talent to pull from.

But for an average soccer league? There are literally hundreds of thousands of average and above-average soccer players in the world. You aren't restricted to just drafting in your talent once a year - you have an entire world of soccer players to pick over. That isn't the case with hockey players, or American football players.

I've always supported giving Mo a reasonable amount of time to assemble a good team, and he has taken some good steps in that direction - the signings of Gomez, Attakora, and Sanyang are looking to be good ones, for example. But five years? Come on.

- Scott

TFC USA
09-06-2009, 03:33 PM
You cannot make running a baseball franchise with 30 teams and 162 games the same as an MLS franchise.

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-06-2009, 03:36 PM
I don't mind the concept of a five year plan in soccer, as long as there are clear objectives being achieved in scheduled manner. We're in year three of the plan, if all things are going according to plan, where will we be in year five, USL2?

Beach_Red
09-06-2009, 03:37 PM

Well, it's not five years yet, but RSL is on track. The first three years they didn't make the playoffs, the fourth they did. They're in tough this year, but maybe that just means the league really is competitive.

You could say Chivas, but the organization behind them wasn't entirely new, was it?

Unless you want to talk other sports. Lots of expansion teams built themselves into consistently high-finishing teams, but you're right, not very many did it less than five years.

TFC USA
09-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Chivas USA made it to the playoffs in their 2nd year.

RSL? 4th year.

Seattle? Potentially 1st year.

San Jose? What glimmer of hope do they have under Yallop?

Beach_Red
09-06-2009, 03:57 PM

RSL? 4th year.

Wasn't Yallop our other choice?

So, what you've got are teams that had organizations in place - Seattle and Chivas - doing very well out of the gate, and teams that started from scratch - RSL, TFC and SJ - taking longer.

Maybe the closest comparison to MLS is the NFL. Of course, that's not a good example for expansion teams because only Tamp Bay has won the Super Bowl since coming on as an expansion team.

Ontario Arab
09-06-2009, 03:58 PM
If we can get JDG to stay for a year or two, provided the rumours are true, I actually think we will have a pretty good core of players for the future, aside from just needing that one killer striker to pair with a Gerba, or an OBW.

- DeRo
- JDG
- Cronin
- Frei
- Gomez
- Attakora
- Sanyang

Depending on how Fellinga works out, and whether Wynne can regain some of that promise he had last season, I think that's a pretty solid list of names. We no doubt have a bit of "chaff" in our roster, than needs to be weeded out, and some holes that need t6o be filled. But I really don't think we are that far away, and throwing out the baby with the bathwater is a bit of a rash judgment after three years.

I think coaching is a big part of our problem, and I think you could make a compelling argument that MLSE need to start looking to replace our general manager. Mo has his talents, but I'm really starting to think his wheeling and dealing style is hurting team cohesion. We've also had some clear needs for the past couple of seasons now, that he has still been unable to fulfill - like a solid forward, and a reasonably capable back four (though the latter is starting to look better).

- Scott

Its been the problem since the offset and you know it mate.

Ontario Arab
09-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Enough poofing around as Ive said many many times before.......got a whole bunch o shit when i suggested Barry Fergusson in the off season...it was achievable and blah blah no good enough for MLS etc etc etc...where is he now....would be in the playoffs for sure boys.

liv4evr
09-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Hey "Mighty" lots of fans here in brantford! I've been a season seat holder since day 1 and there's been so much optimism, but lately this team looks like it's falling apart. The leadership is weak, way too many player changes which leads to little time to gel, and very poor tactical play. Why can't we just keep the lineup the same each week instead of this "earn your pitch time" thing. Pick a side, play it for 4 games and let the lads get to feel each other's games out! It's no wonder every through ball is mis timed. You watch the best teams play, in any sport, and you see anticipation and accuracy...but then again, most of those teams have the proper guys playing the proper roles. Let's get in our time machines and go back to 2006 and start this thing over....

CretanBull
09-06-2009, 05:25 PM

I'm not sure if there are other Leicester fans here, but there's more than one team in the midlands...some of our regulars support Villa, Birmingham, WBA, Wolves, Stoke, Forrest etc. as mentioned, check out these threads:

Championship thread: http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4457

(I'm being presumptuous here) England's WC qualifying thread:
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4840

And if you have any fond memories of FL1...
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=15364

Cheers!

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-07-2009, 02:16 AM

RSL? 4th year.

Chicago won the title in their expansion season.

Brooker
09-07-2009, 02:39 AM
ahhhh great thread started by a know it all toronto fc fan AND he throws in a Toronto Maple Leafs insult...

people forget it's a toronto message board sometimes

Chicago won the title in their expansion season.

okay fair enough, they did do it. but that doesn't mean anybody can do it. chicago also had the benefit of playing the final in their own city, and haven't won a cup since. not exactly something i want my club to become.

Pookie
09-07-2009, 08:43 AM
I don't see the Leafs and TFC as being very similar at all. Step behind the obvious dig at the Leafs for not winning a Cup and you'll find that the Leafs have recently:

- changed their reporting structure to create a Presidential position that does not report into Richard Peddie and have allowed the head of the team to report directly into the board. Mo doesn't even make it on the MLSE Management page http://web.mlsnet.com/t280/about/meet_us/mlse_management/ (http://web.mlsnet.com/t280/about/meet_us/mlse_management/)
- sought out one of the more established NHL executives and recognizing that the cap only applies to player salaries, used their financial advantage and paid him a healthy sum over a 6 year period
- actively changed the "country club culture" by swallowing large contracts through buy outs and moving players deemed to have contributed to this sense of entitlement
- have sought out unsigned prospects like Gustavsson and actually signed them
- publicly announced their plan to get bigger and tougher and actually signed players that were bigger and tougher
- have invested multi-millions in ACC upgrades including stadium and ice making technologies
- have further invested $5.5M in the training facility at the Lakeshore Lions Arena which includes the finest equipment money can buy
- treat their players like "kings." I don't believe that the Leafs have ever flown on Porter Air

KdotOdot
09-07-2009, 08:51 AM
I don't see the Leafs and TFC as being very similar at all. Step behind the obvious dig at the Leafs for not winning a Cup and you'll find that the Leafs have recently:

- changed their reporting structure to create a Presidential position that does not report into Richard Peddie and have allowed the head of the team to report directly into the board. Mo doesn't even make it on the MLSE Management page http://web.mlsnet.com/t280/about/meet_us/mlse_management/ (http://web.mlsnet.com/t280/about/meet_us/mlse_management/)
- sought out one of the more established NHL executives and recognizing that the cap only applies to player salaries, used their financial advantage and paid him a healthy sum over a 6 year period
- actively changed the "country club culture" by swallowing large contracts through buy outs and moving players deemed to have contributed to this sense of entitlement
- publicly announced their plan to get bigger and tougher and actually signed players that were bigger and tougher
- have invested multi-millions in ACC upgrades including stadium and ice making technologies
- have further invested $5.5M in the training facility at the Lakeshore Lions Arena which includes the finest equipment money can buy
- treat their players like "kings." I don't believe that the Leafs have ever flown on Porter Air

Jesus Zombie Christ.

http://www.fallen-legion.eu/news/data/upimages/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Juanito
09-07-2009, 09:12 AM

- Scott

That's quite an understatement. I agree with you on the coaching. Mo, I think has done a reasonable job though. I wouldn't say he is GREAT, but I wouldn'y say he is TERRIBLE either. He did bring in Guevara, DeRo, amongst others, so you can't say he isn't trying. He has brought reasonable tools to win matches .... he can't be directly blamed for the poor performances as of late. That is where I believe coaching has let this team down. To me, it looks like this squad is divided. They play like individuals and stop playing well together, especially on the road. If there are back room politics .... it is the coach's responsibility to squash them. Cummins is a cancer to the squad. It would have been nice to go get a permanent coach as this interim experiment has failed miserably.

Fort York Redcoat
09-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Welcome, liv.

You just used up your Leafs reference your first post. Hope you enjoyed it.

Pook, you're funny.

Pookie
09-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Pook, you're funny.

Pour quoi?

Keystone FC
09-07-2009, 10:09 AM
All I have to say is I'm glad I have my Steelers.

Fort York Redcoat
09-07-2009, 10:13 AM
For trying your best to make it a TFC v TML thread on RPB forum.

There. Now I'm helping.

Myself I don't see the need to compare but continue (I said the last word with a french accent).

Shakes McQueen
09-07-2009, 10:25 AM

I agree completely Pookie. They really do appear to be honestly turning things around with the Leafs now. It's been a while since I've heard so much optimism about a Leafs roster, GM, ans coaching staff. Even if they don't make the post-season this year, the general consensus seems to be that this team is setting itself up well for a year or two down the road.

- Scott

Fort York Redcoat
09-07-2009, 10:29 AM
^I wish more fans and supporters were as patient as yourself, Shakey.:thumbsup:

Pookie
09-07-2009, 10:31 AM
For trying your best to make it a TFC v TML thread on RPB forum.

There. Now I'm helping.

Myself I don't see the need to compare but continue (I said the last word with a french accent).

Sorry... my bad... I thought that was what the topic was.

Let's go back and look for some kind of Barrett/Cummins thread or the latest salary cap poll. If we can't find any, we can always start another one. :)

Shakes McQueen
09-07-2009, 10:37 AM
^I wish more fans and supporters were as patient as yourself, Shakey.:thumbsup:

I was extremely impatient when it came to JFJ. I wanted that guy fired for about a year before it actually happened.

I can have patience with the new-look Leafs though. I actually trust Burkie's judgment and plan, something I haven't been able to say about a Leafs GM for a while. But it will take a little while to pay results - this team's supply of draft picks was absolutely gutted by JFJ, to bring in soft players with bad contracts. And outside of Justin Pogge, we literally did not have a single promising prospect to speak of

Pookie is right though - we needed to get tougher, Burkie said he wanted a tougher team, and then he actually went out and got it done. We needed better goalkeeping, so Burkie went out and successfully signed the best goalie not in the NHL, and also poached the best goaltender coach in the world, in Francois Allaire.

As a Leafs fan, who has put up with some absolutely shambolic management in recent years, you can't help but be encouraged by these moves. No throwing ridiculous money at players coming off of one good season, or trading away draft picks for garbage - just smart, economical moves.

- Scott

koryo
09-07-2009, 11:12 AM
For this team to play as poorly as it did this past Saturday (and on how many other occasions this year) makes me think there's a divide in the dressing room.