PDA

View Full Version : TFC plane stuck in Toronto

DangerRed
09-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Danny's Twitter seems to suggest that's the case

http://a1.twimg.com/a/1252003675/images/white.pngJust touched down in Toronto after the plane had to do a U-turn because of mechanical problems!!!

http://twitter.com/dannydichio

DangerRed
09-04-2009, 02:57 PM
There's this from Carl Robinson's Twitter, 18 min ago:

Have to get back on another plane after hydrolic failure of last one. When I dislike flying its not the best scenario.18 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/CarlRobinson33/status/3763673416) from txt (http://help.twitter.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=75)

This road trip's not off to a good start. Hope they're not too tired when they get to Denver!

Ageroo
09-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Well this is not good.....more delays and them getting into Colorado later than expected....

pekduck
09-04-2009, 03:00 PM
at least another plane is there to take them...

could be worse.. like... flight delayed overnight, or cancelled

Carts
09-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Why are they travelling today in the first place...???

Last week didn't they leave for Seattle early to avoid any jet-lag etc etc etc...? They played excellent, secured a point & came away with something from the game...

Now we go to a pitch that has totally different air due to altitude etc, and we travel the day before...???

If ever there is a city to travel to early, and get a training session in, its Colorado!

This plane delay is making it worse...

Carts...

DangerRed
09-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Carts, I just got told in another thread that there is research which says if you're going into altitude, you should compete within 24 hours of arrival before dehydration and sleep disturbances start setting in. I'm guessing that's the reason, even though Cummins has said otherwise in the past.

MG42
09-04-2009, 03:04 PM
what they need to do is jump on Dichios back and let him fly them there

pekduck
09-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Carts, I just got told in another thread that there is research which says if you're going into altitude, you should compete within 24 hours of arrival before dehydration and sleep disturbances start setting in. I'm guessing that's the reason, even though Cummins has said otherwise in the past.

i think they've tried that in salt lake city and... didn't really work out

werewolf
09-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Why are they travelling today in the first place...???

Last week didn't they leave for Seattle early to avoid any jet-lag etc etc etc...? They played excellent, secured a point & came away with something from the game...

Now we go to a pitch that has totally different air due to altitude etc, and we travel the day before...???

If ever there is a city to travel to early, and get a training session in, its Colorado!

This plane delay is making it worse...

Carts...

I have heard theories its better to arrive as late as possible when dealing with the altitude. I dont know why exactly, something with the your body, but it would make sense in this case.

Parkdale
09-04-2009, 03:09 PM
ummm......

don't these guys remember Rohan's Twittergate? Must they twitter everything?

Carts
09-04-2009, 03:09 PM
The research done about adjusting to altitude is extremely controversial...

It was basically started to dispell myths that teams have an advantage playing at a high altitude...

Most of the medical community beleives that having time to adjust, and train in the environment you will be competing is best...

If the 24 hour rule was the actual case, you'd see Olympic athletes (from the big countries) arrive 24-hours before events etc...

I can't remember which league (hell, it might have been the NHL when Colorado was approved to be the site of the Nordiques move) but the reseach was started and done by the league that "wanted" it to prove as no advantage for a team dropping in...

It was like the field turf presentation I went to last year, they made it seem like a 3rd party had determined the turf was "just as good if not better than grass"... During the Q & A we found out that the company 'Field Turf' paid for the study...

Carts...

MG42
09-04-2009, 03:11 PM
I have heard theories its better to arrive as late as possible when dealing with the altitude. I dont know why exactly, something with the your body, but it would make sense in this case.

I've heard that before too, however this is what google told me;

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Abstract/2001/02000/Optimal_time_of_arrival_for_performance_at.20.aspx

WESTON, A. R., G. MACKENZIE, M. A. TUFTS, and M. MARS. Optimal time of arrival for performance at moderate altitude (1700 m). Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., Vol. 33, No. 2, 2001, pp. 298-302.
Purpose: The time course of physiological exercise responses after acute ascent to moderate altitude was investigated.
Methods: Fifteen young male subjects (16.5 ± 0.8 yr) completed one familiarization and then two further sea level sessions to determine sea level values (SL). Subjects were then tested 6 h (ALT1), 18 h (ALT2), and 47 h (ALT3) after arrival at 1700 m. Subjects completed a 5-min submaximal cycle test, shuttle run test, and 45-s repeated push-up test. Hemoglobin (Hb) and hematocrit (Hct) were measured.
Results: Cycle test heart rate (HR) was higher at ALT1 than SL (182 ± 15 vs 177 ± 16 b·min-1, P < 0.01) but had returned to 177 ± 13 and 176 ± 12 b·min-1 at ALT2 and ALT3, respectively. At ALT1, only five subjects completed the full 5 min. Postexercise plasma lactate was not different. Shuttle test HR was higher at ALT1 than SL (191 ± 8 vs 185 ± 14 b·min-1, P = 0.01) but had returned to 185 ± 10 and 183 ± 16 b·min-1 at ALT2 and ALT3. Shuttle run time (SRT) was 37% shorter at ALT1 than SL (251 ± 134 vs 401 ± 115 s, P < 0.001) and remained impaired at ALT2 and ALT3 (330 ± 124 and 344 ± 115 s, both P < 0.001 vs SL). There was a significant relationship between magnitude of increased HR and reduction in SRT between SL and ALT1 (r = 0.52, P < 0.05). Push-up HR, Hb, and Hct were not affected by altitude.
Conclusions: These findings indicate that detrimental effects of acute ascent to 1700 m on exercise performance are greater after 6 h than after 18 or 47 h. Performance was not entirely restored to SL values even after 47 h, despite restoration of easily measured physiological parameters. The results suggest travel to moderate altitude should occur as early as is practical before competition.

Denver is just below 1700m

nobodybeatsthewiz
09-04-2009, 03:36 PM
no idea what would work better, but when i was in quito i found it ridiculously hard to breathe both at first then for some time after, even in the airport / enclosed buildings. and ive been to denver (which ive had zero problems at all)

DangerRed
09-04-2009, 03:59 PM
no idea what would work better, but when i was in quito i found it ridiculously hard to breathe both at first then for some time after, even in the airport / enclosed buildings. and ive been to denver (which ive had zero problems at all)

I think it varies greatly from person to person.

When I landed in Quito, I went outside the airport, lit a cigarette and took in the evening. No effect whatsoever. Compare that to the girl in front of me at customs, who flat out collapsed as she was being processed.

The boys are athletes, though, and I'm sure they'll be fine. They're not playing in Ecuador, either. :canada:

Nodoubtguy
09-04-2009, 04:14 PM
I've never had any problems the two times I've been to Denver

pekduck
09-04-2009, 04:16 PM
I've never had any problems the two times I've been to Denver

did you also happen to run for 90 minutes? :D

Nodoubtguy
09-04-2009, 04:18 PM
did you also happen to run for 90 minutes? :D

lol....no, but I'm also not nearly as in shape as these guys are.

Super
09-04-2009, 04:36 PM
We drink for the 90 minutes. Don't let anyone tell you that we're not roughing it as well!

arsenal
09-04-2009, 05:11 PM
On Wednesday, we spoke with Dr. James Stray-Gundersen, one of the experts on altitude training for athletes. Dr. Stray-Gundersen has served as physician/physiologist for the US Cross-Country Ski Team and was a team physician for Norway’s Olympic Team in 2002. He is the co-author of “Live Hi/Train Low” now considered the defining study on altitude training for sea level performance. He was one of the experts attending and presenting at a FIFA symposium on altitude.

USSoccerPlayers: In a situation like the United States, where they only had a couple of days to train prior to Wednesday’s Qualifier against Mexico in Mexico City, what were their options?

The best option is to play before the physiologic processes of acclimatization have taken their toll. The idea is to avoid the process of acclimatization as much as possible.

That could mean flying in the morning of a late afternoon match or the evening before. One can further reduce the acclimatization response by supplying oxygen to the player once they are exposed to altitude. Essentially, then the players are not at altitude if they are supplied (during the days and hours before the match) with oxygen.

The worst preparation is to arrive a few days (3-5) prior to the match.

USSoccerPlayers: Why is that?

Because the players have been “worn out” by having to deal with the process of acclimatization and the associated dehydration, while they have yet not received the positive changes that will eventually come.

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/ussoccerplayers/2009/08/limiting-exposure-at-altitude-the-right-move.html

icecoldbeer
09-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Didn't this happen to them last year too??

boban
09-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Did anybody get their twitter when they last went to the can?

twistedchinaman
09-04-2009, 10:03 PM
I think you will notice a difference esp. if you are going anywhere 1000+ m -- Salt Lake is about 1200, Denver is about 1600. From Toronto, which is 76 m from sea level...it's a difference.

I think you produce more red blood cells when you're in higher altitudes to carry more oxygen, and when you live and play in lower altitudes most of the time, the thinner air doesn't help.

I think the converse is true too, though...Colorado hasn't exactly sparkled on the road, nor has RSL. It sure doesn't help me when I'm in Toronto or Hong Kong or San Fran, that's for sure...

James17930
09-04-2009, 10:10 PM
So basically, the best options are either as soon as possible before the game, or something like a full 2 weeks before.

ilikemusic
09-05-2009, 12:33 AM
So basically, the best options are either as soon as possible before the game, or something like a full 2 weeks before.

This is basically what Bob Iarusci was saying on The Soccer Show this week.

rocker
09-05-2009, 12:25 PM
yeah i remember Bob Bradley talking about this before the last USA/Mehico game.
they trained in Miami I believe right up until the last day and then flew in quickly.