PDA

View Full Version : Dichio leaving in 2010 - Footy Blog

Pages : 1 [2]

rocker
09-15-2009, 08:20 AM
I always thought De Ro didn't like passing to Vitti... they don't exactly link up much.

Roogsy
09-15-2009, 08:25 AM
I don't think any speculation about relationships can be made from on the pitch performance. I have seen DeRo and Vitti and Dichio socialize away from the pitch so I assume they're cool. DeRo and Barrett are both Puma guys so they are at some Puma events together sometimes but I haven't seen them socialize. That being said, after DeRo's goal on Saturday, Barrett looked happy and went over to hug him. I am not aware of any locker room rift between anyone but it isn't translating to the pitch at least.

jabbronies
09-15-2009, 08:38 AM
^^ I would think Barrett was against Dichio and DeRo probably stood up for him. Assuming it went down something like that anyway.

I mentioned this in an earlier thread when ben Knight was fishing for info.

I had a feeling if there was a rift it would've involved DeRo backing up Dichio.

Shaughno
09-15-2009, 08:40 AM
I had heard rumblings DeRo wasn't happy with something... I had just assumed it involved JDG and the money involved (before he turned us down last time).

Ageroo
09-15-2009, 08:45 AM
I had heard rumblings DeRo wasn't happy with something... I had just assumed it involved JDG and the money involved (before he turned us down last time).

I think DeRo is professional enough to not let JDG coming in bother him...he is going to get better service and most likely be a better player. Who would not want that. JDG may be a better all round player, but DeRo will always get the limelight due to the nature of people's love of attacking players.

Lucky Strike
09-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Fascinating to me that someone "above Mo" had the kind of awareness of this to intervene. Does Anselmi read the boards?

btw could it be that DeRo isn't feeding Barrett because Barrett can't score?

On one hand, it's reassuring that the people above Mo pay attention and haven't just handed him "carte blanche". On the other, like it's been said, it's a concern that upper management gets involved like that even though it was the right thing to do (to keep Dichio).

Beach_Red
09-15-2009, 08:53 AM
On one hand, it's reassuring that the people above Mo pay attention and haven't just handed him "carte blanche". On the other, like it's been said, it's a concern that upper management gets involved like that even though it was the right thing to do (to keep Dichio).

How do we really know it was the right thing? It really looks like the FO bowed to the supporters and gave Dichio a deal to be with the "big team" next year. So, in effect, they've said the coaching staff will remain the same with the addition of Dichio - or whoever the new coach is will be handed an assistant whether he likes it or not.

Officially even the GM doesn't have a contract for next year - but Dichio does. So, if they do fire Mo (and by the way, it's still very much a possibility) then the new guy also doesn't get to make up his own staff, but has to have Dichio.

Maybe that's a grea move. But a lot of potential coaches and managers will see it as too much FO interference and may pass on the job.

So, let's hope Danny is a fantastic coach. Andlet's hope whatever problems there were in the dressing room don't continue under his coaching.

Lucky Strike
09-15-2009, 09:08 AM
How do we really know it was the right thing? It really looks like the FO bowed to the supporters and gave Dichio a deal to be with the "big team" next year. So, in effect, they've said the coaching staff will remain the same with the addition of Dichio - or whoever the new coach is will be handed an assistant whether he likes it or not.

Officially even the GM doesn't have a contract for next year - but Dichio does. So, if they do fire Mo (and by the way, it's still very much a possibility) then the new guy also doesn't get to make up his own staff, but has to have Dichio.

Maybe that's a grea move. But a lot of potential coaches and managers will see it as too much FO interference and may pass on the job.

So, let's hope Danny is a fantastic coach. Andlet's hope whatever problems there were in the dressing room don't continue under his coaching.

The "right thing" meaning the moral thing to do (for this particular situation), i.e. not releasing Dichio like they were thinking of doing around the Chivas game.

I do recognize that the right thing to do can have negative consequences (not saying Dichio staying as coach is necessarily one such example) for sure, but I'm definitely glad he wasn't just cut loose and allowed to drift away like moldy and rotting flotsam.

Jack
09-15-2009, 09:20 AM
This rumour smells of BS to me. There is a lot of speculation and inferral in there with not a lot of fact.

Dichio's under contract for next season and isn't going anywhere.

He's going to be with TFC for a long time.

Beach_Red
09-15-2009, 09:26 AM
The "right thing" meaning the moral thing to do (for this particular situation), i.e. not releasing Dichio like they were thinking of doing around the Chivas game.

I do recognize that the right thing to do can have negative consequences (not saying Dichio staying as coach is necessarily one such example) for sure, but I'm definitely glad he wasn't just cut loose and allowed to drift away like moldy and rotting flotsam.

Yes, me too.

But I also think there was a little negotiating in public (the thing about USL teams looking to hire him) and as of yet we don't really know the details of any contracts and how that will impact the team next year.

Once in a while on this board people call for a complete housecleaning of the FO - and I'd just like that to remain a possibility, that's all. Everytime a "fan favourite" is given a job, does it make him exempt from this kind of housecleaning?

If there was a power struggle between the soccer people and the business people and the business people won (even if this time we're on their side) it doesn't look good for future managers, either.

Yes, we want the team to do the "right" thing, but we don't want them to do it instead of winning. Satisfying the fans' sentimental needs is a lot easier than winning championsips.

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Fascinating to me that someone "above Mo" had the kind of awareness of this to intervene. Does Anselmi read the boards?

btw could it be that DeRo isn't feeding Barrett because Barrett can't score?

DeRo doesn;t like to pass to anyone why should Barrett be any different.
Mo should be allowed to do his job as he sees fit..no Interference from the top brass ever, or we will just become the Leafs and no one wnats that.

Lucky Strike
09-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Yes, me too.

But I also think there was a little negotiating in public (the thing about USL teams looking to hire him) and as of yet we don't really know the details of any contracts and how that will impact the team next year.

Once in a while on this board people call for a complete housecleaning of the FO - and I'd just like that to remain a possibility, that's all. Everytime a "fan favourite" is given a job, does it make him exempt from this kind of housecleaning?

If there was a power struggle between the soccer people and the business people and the business people won (even if this time we're on their side) it doesn't look good for future managers, either.

Yes, we want the team to do the "right" thing, but we don't want them to do it instead of winning. Satisfying the fans' sentimental needs is a lot easier than winning championsips.

I hear you on this one. Can't really disagree.

Lucky Strike
09-15-2009, 09:39 AM
DeRo doesn;t like to pass to anyone why should Barrett be any different.
Mo should be allowed to do his job as he sees fit..no Interference from the top brass ever, or we will just become the Leafs and no one wnats that.

We all get it: you don't like DeRo. Can it. I give you a pass on pretty much everything because I'm not the type to get on people's cases especially on a forum, and hell, I've even defended you when someone attacked you without provocation for no other reason than a lot people do it as well. It was unfair of that person and I called them for it. You don't like DeRo and a lot of people disagree, fine. Free speech and all that. But the snide, catty remarks are getting somewhat old.

As a solution: Why not include "I hate Dwayne DeRosario" in your signature? :D

Kevvv
09-15-2009, 09:48 AM
ah kk, i was wondering who DeRo disliked (ie hoping it wasnt our boy Dichio, woulda broke my heart)

I can confirm that Dichio and DeRo were spotted shopping together in Seattle

I think paul is - I'm not sure though. Tom Anselmi certainly is and is smart enough to know what an asset Dichio was(is) to this club.

I know that Paul is involved with the player contracts, but I have no idea if Tom A has to put his Herbie Hancock on there as well.

Either way, it's good to hear that someone has Mo on a leash (though slightly concerning that the business side can have such a strong voice in on field decisions. In this case though - I'm happy they did and glad that common sense prevailed and Danny stayed.

I'm pretty concerned about this as well. Right or wrong, the coaching staff should have complete authority on player related issues. If the decisions are bad, the issues with the coaching staff should be dealt with.

It never goes well when the FO starts messing directly with players/tactics/ect. It is a worrying sign.

I'd think both Paul and Tom are savvy enough to know that Dichio is an asset to the club. Whether he plays should be up to Mo & the coach, and there's no evidence that top mgmt tried to influence DD's playing time. But if Mo/CC decide they want to cut Danny from the squad, I feel Tom & Paul are within their rights to insist he is offered a position within the organisation.

I suspect there are health issues that impacted how much playing time Danny got - back problems or headaches - that the team would not want to broadcast to the opposition.

Kevvv
09-15-2009, 09:51 AM
We all get it: you don't like DeRo. Can it. I give you a pass on pretty much everything because I'm not the type to get on people's cases especially on a forum, and hell, I've even defended you when someone attacked you without provocation for no other reason than a lot people do it as well. It was unfair of that person and I called them for it. You don't like DeRo and a lot of people disagree, fine. Free speech and all that. But the snide, catty remarks are getting somewhat old.

If I had 10 goals, I might think twice before passing to the striker with 4 goals.

Darlofletch
09-15-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm pretty concerned about this as well. Right or wrong, the coaching staff should have complete authority on player related issues. If the decisions are bad, the issues with the coaching staff should be dealt with.

It never goes well when the FO starts messing directly with players/tactics/ect. It is a worrying sign.

Yep, i may not agree with all their decisions, but a coach and gm really shouldn't be focussed on being nice to certain people, or trying to appease the fans. Let the FO and fans worry about honouring players and all that sort of thing, I want my coach and gm to be ruthlessly focussed on winning. let them do exactly what they want, if they fail, then fire them, but they should be allowed to fail on their own terms.

Beach_Red
09-15-2009, 10:07 AM
I'd think both Paul and Tom are savvy enough to know that Dichio is an asset to the club. Whether he plays should be up to Mo & the coach, and there's no evidence that top mgmt tried to influence DD's playing time. But if Mo/CC decide they want to cut Danny from the squad, I feel Tom & Paul are within their rights to insist he is offered a position within the organisation.

Does that matter at all what the position is?

If the marketing department want to offer jobs in marketing, fine, but the soccer jobs should be up to the soccer people.

Here's a hypothetical (it's the internet afterall ;)). Let's say at the end of the season a very good MLS coach becomes available (he might even be named Steve, who knows) and TFC and another team both want him. The other team tell him he'll be able to make all the decisions concerning players and his coaching staff, but TFC tells him there's a fan favourite who has to be on his coaching staff. Even if he thinks the guy is a terrific coach he may smell too much FO interference and sign somewhere else.

It's okay, though, we'll blame Mo ;).

Darlofletch
09-15-2009, 10:09 AM
I don't think any speculation about relationships can be made from on the pitch performance. I have seen DeRo and Vitti and Dichio socialize away from the pitch so I assume they're cool. DeRo and Barrett are both Puma guys so they are at some Puma events together sometimes but I haven't seen them socialize. That being said, after DeRo's goal on Saturday, Barrett looked happy and went over to hug him. I am not aware of any locker room rift between anyone but it isn't translating to the pitch at least.

True, and barrett seemed quite cheerful on Saturday, smiling at himself when he completely muffed a difficult chance late on, and he did seem happy when De ro scored.

A while back though he really seemed to have a chip on his shoulder, in the New England and real madrid games, and he certainly wasn't happy and huggy when De Ro scored in New England.

Hopefully whatever was going on has blown over.

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-15-2009, 10:19 AM

i dont Hate the man...he seems like a good guy on interviews what i do dislike is his selfish play at times, refusinig to pass, trying to win the game on his own dispite having 1o other players to help out.. even at the last game he took the ball down into the north end corner and continued to hold the ball while other players could have easily received it..even some of the supporters are catching on to what he does and CC should insist he play a team game...i'll be honest i still hold a grudge against him from last years WCQ when he wanted Canadas games played in Montreal and vancouver, as a supporter of the national team, i thought he was dissing the support here in Ontario and BMO field in general, we all know field turf
is not the best surface..but if hes willing to play on it for a paycheque then
playing on it for you country should be easier. that thats my beef with the man rightly or wrongly!! thanks for the defence though!!

English Rachel
09-15-2009, 10:22 AM
I suspect there are health issues that impacted how much playing time Danny got - back problems or headaches - that the team would not want to broadcast to the opposition.

This is EXACTLY what I said. The weird vibe everyone got from the press conference was real but I don't think it's from Danny being forced out - I think he has been having bad heads and he and his wife have seriously looked at him being a dad or risking his health on the pitch.

There is no coach in his right mind that wouldn't have played Danny more in the last few games... Chris may not be Fabio but he isn't stupid. That was 'hands-tied' behaviour if you ask me.

Section 117
09-15-2009, 10:41 AM
This is EXACTLY what I said. The weird vibe everyone got from the press conference was real but I don't think it's from Danny being forced out - I think he has been having bad heads and he and his wife have seriously looked at him being a dad or risking his health on the pitch.

There is no coach in his right mind that wouldn't have played Danny more in the last few games... Chris may not be Fabio but he isn't stupid. That was 'hands-tied' behaviour if you ask me.

You would be suprised he has no health issues that I know for a fact. Also IMO the press confrence was a load of BS from top to bottom. If people want to believe that our hero went out the way he wanted too then you are mistaken.

Unfortunately, it is over and done with and we will never get to see Danny wearing his number 9 jersey. But at least he will be working with the academy and hopefully one day take over the reigns of the senior squad.

Beach_Red
09-15-2009, 10:46 AM
You would be suprised he has no health issues that I know for a fact.

But after a concussion, can you really say that? I know there has been a lot of new research on the long-term effects of concussions, but isn't it still hard to say what the effects could be?

He mentioned ankles at the news conference, but as you say, that conference was, well, you know....

Roogsy
09-15-2009, 10:50 AM
LOL! Come on BR...I've tried to move on from this whole Dichio thing but it's hard to do when people insist on creating excuses for what happened. Yes he's had concussions in the past and it's something they were watchful for, but it wasn't an issue at the moment and he was ready and willing to play, if anything at least limited productive minutes. Let's not create excuses for the team that aren't there shall we?

I am hoping we can move on. If you guys don't buy that there was indeed quite a bit of drama in the locker room until things got sorted out, fine. Let's be thankful for what Danny gave us and the fact he is still with us as a coach and move on.

FluSH
09-15-2009, 10:55 AM
You would be suprised he has no health issues that I know for a fact. Also IMO the press confrence was a load of BS from top to bottom. If people want to believe that our hero went out the way he wanted too then you are mistaken.

Unfortunately, it is over and done with and we will never get to see Danny wearing his number 9 jersey. But at least he will be working with the academy and hopefully one day take over the reigns of the senior squad.

ONE DAY...

TFC BOSS

You better believe it

Jack
09-15-2009, 11:34 AM
This rumour is untrue according to what I've heard.

DD is here for the long haul.

Beach_Red
09-15-2009, 11:36 AM
LOL! Come on BR...I've tried to move on from this whole Dichio thing but it's hard to do when people insist on creating excuses for what happened. Yes he's had concussions in the past and it's something they were watchful for, but it wasn't an issue at the moment and he was ready and willing to play, if anything at least limited productive minutes. Let's not create excuses for the team that aren't there shall we?

I am hoping we can move on. If you guys don't buy that there was indeed quite a bit of drama in the locker room until things got sorted out, fine. Let's be thankful for what Danny gave us and the fact he is still with us as a coach and move on.

Ha, yeah okay, you're right, time to move on.

ensco
09-15-2009, 11:43 AM

Which part exactly? There are multiple elements to what Ben said.

Jack
09-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Which part exactly? There are multiple elements to what Ben said.
The part about DD leaving.

As to the locker-room stuff, there is something there, but I'm not sure of all the details.

TorontoBlades
09-15-2009, 12:09 PM
there's always going to be locker room drama - epsecially when you have so many professional players on a team trying to make a difference. Also, when you're out with a concussion for as long as Danny was, I can assure you it never goes away completely, medically or phsycologically.

Danny was a hero to us....and a few of you seem to be under the impression that he should have been carried off the field like Rudy, but this we never would have had the chance to salute him if he retired in the off-season, and believe me he's been treated better off than 99% of the footballers that have their careers ended through choice or by force...

Oldtimer
09-15-2009, 12:26 PM

They were grooming him to be a coach. Why would they change that? it doesn't make sense.

andyc
09-15-2009, 01:21 PM
There definitely was a big falling out and Danny's retirement wasn't handled well, but the good news is that he is committed to helping the club in a coaching roll and is staying in Toronto.

Danny chose to stay silent through this mess to help out the club and I think we all have to let it go and get behind the team in the next few games.

CDNSoccerFan
09-27-2009, 09:51 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/top10s/2656464/Top-10-Brits-abroad.html?offset=5

dclaro
09-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Canadian minnows? arent we the largest club in canada, or are they looking at it from a global prespective

Razcle
09-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Cute Find. However I can barely understand the British commentary. Why can't they just speak proper civilized english like the rest of us.

Lucky Strike
09-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Canadian minnows? arent we the largest club in canada, or are they looking at it from a global prespective

I half-laughed and was half-annoyed. TFC is one of the bigger clubs in North America.

But if from a global perspective like you said, it makes more sense.

andyc
09-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Cute Find. However I can barely understand the British commentary. Why can't they just speak proper civilized english like the rest of us.

It's the Sun - They have a whole different language from the rest of humanity...

Big Bruva
09-28-2009, 02:07 PM
It's up to Mo to offer him a contract, not MLSE.

He's in charge of all soccer personnel, so he would be the one who needs to get the message.

:facepalm: exactly what i was gonna say and like i have said in the past Mo rattles around in the grass lol

Hitcho
09-28-2009, 02:19 PM
But after a concussion, can you really say that? I know there has been a lot of new research on the long-term effects of concussions, but isn't it still hard to say what the effects could be?

Then how come he played 90 mins for the reserves against some team from Saskatchewan just before the "west coast" BS presser? If you're worried he might sustain serious injury as a concussion after effect then you don't put him in for 90 mins in a reserve game. He'd be eased back in through the reserves, or just eased back in though the first team. Either way it shows he was able to play, and play for 90 mins, at a reserve level so why not an hour at first team level or even 30 mins to begin with?

I don't think we'll ever know what really happened with DD's retirement, like his legend the stories will persist forever (was it cap space for JDG, was it a falling out in the locker room with players or coaches, was it to stop him from taking a coaching job somewhere else, was it because CC just didn't want to play Danny so rather than risk undermining Cummins and making him look powerless by forcing DD to be played in the final couple of home games to appease the fans the FO just removed the issue from the table by making DD a coach instead?).

The list just goes on and on. This will be TFC's very own Kennedy assination conspiracy theory gold mine that will never die among those who remebered it. I'd rather it was an NER style goal in the final home game of the season that lived forever, but in a weird kind fo way, I'll take this instead. It's nice to have another Dichio legend to toss around over a few pints years from now. "Remember the first goal? And the NER goal? And the corner flag? And the massive TIFO? And that terrible presser when he retired - what the hell really happened I wonder? Your round mate." Etc.