PDA

View Full Version : Ives ROY ballot: Frei second.

Dub Narcotic
09-03-2009, 05:44 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/09/who-is-leading-the-mls-rookie-of-the-year-race.html#comments

This has been an amazing year for rookies in MLS. I hope it's not an aberration but a reflection of better youth development in North America (or more Swiss goalkeeping prodigies moving to Oakland!)

egoodwin
09-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Tough to choose between Frei and Cronin

Dub Narcotic
09-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Heh. I wouldn't put Cronin in the top 5. There are other teams in MLS.

CretanBull
09-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Cronin has been good, but IMO Frei has been better...most often the best keepers are much older players, for a young guy to come in and do what he's done is pretty impressive.

Having said that, Gonzalez is clearly the rookie of the year.

Marco2K
09-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Cronin Rookie of the year?

why?

poppamidnight
09-04-2009, 08:11 AM
ahhh, vindication...

Remember me chirping pre-draft about how bad we needed a defender like Omar on this team???
...Remember... Since we knew Tyronne was reuniting with Sigi???

...Remember?

I still think the only reason we should've drafted Cronin, was if it was known that Robinson wouldn't be around, since it was inferred he would be robbo's replacement.

That said, it was a pretty ballsy move to take the slipping Frei when you had a keeper who was amazing for you the previous yr (Sutton)...

...Then again picks after the top-10 to me seem like 2nd round NBA picks, 3rd (or later) round NHL picks, or 4th (or later) round NFL picks.... So you can pretty much toss em away and take gambles with them.

Frei would be #1 if we had some decent defensive defense..