PDA

View Full Version : Wicks chest-stomp on Montero

DangerRed
09-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Holy shit. You guys see this in the DCU-SSFC game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m8j-UYW35M&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2E24thminute%2Ecom%2F&feature=player_embedded#t=23

That's mental. Hope Wicks gets suspended.

H Bomb
09-03-2009, 11:58 AM
That guy really does seem to be a little crazy.

Nodoubtguy
09-03-2009, 11:58 AM
I think me and Fort York Redcoat got his anger level up a few weeks ago!!!

lol

Blizzard
09-03-2009, 12:17 PM
That guy really does seem to be a little crazy.

Roid Rage?

DangerRed
09-03-2009, 12:18 PM
I think that he needs to get at least 5 games if not more. Just classless, violent garbage.

werewolf
09-03-2009, 12:20 PM
what a tool! LOL

wzhxvy
09-03-2009, 12:30 PM
And to see his reaction after the red card...that was disturbing...did he not recognize what he did was wrong ?? He was also trying to after the side line referee who looked scared for his life...he needs to be suspended and fined...

Hitcho
09-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Can't really see what he landed on there, looks like he landed to the side of montero or got his arm, rather than chest, but regardless, if that's what he did then ban him for a very, very long time. no place for that in the beuatiful game.

EENIE MAN
09-03-2009, 12:48 PM
i think he's a wee bit mad , i saw him grab one of HIS defenders buy the collar a few weeks back.

Stryker
09-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Youtube comment "never trust a man with a neck tattoo" kinda rings true.

bangersandmash
09-03-2009, 12:54 PM
it couldn't be any coincident that DCU just signed a new keeper, could it?

deltox
09-03-2009, 01:39 PM
for the fine or suspension thing it can get tricky.

This was not a MLS game.

DCU is a MLS team so they might choose to fine Wicks. the team cold do the same.

kinda like when UEFA bans someone....they still play in league matches

TOBOR !
09-03-2009, 01:40 PM
that's rubbish - look at it again - he never landed on him, but jumped over him. He doesn't have to adjust his feet once he lands - just walks away.

Unless there's another angle proving otherwise I don't buy it.

Dave67
09-03-2009, 01:44 PM
that's rubbish - look at it again - he never landed on him, but jumped over him. He doesn't have to adjust his feet once he lands - just walks away.

I think you are right.

Sonny Cheeba
09-03-2009, 01:44 PM

he wasn't jumping over him as if he was running and couldn't avoid it.

he was walking and could have easily walked around montero. instead he chose to jump and lightly stomp him.

AL-MO
09-03-2009, 01:47 PM
He should have axe kicked him. :p

TOBOR !
09-03-2009, 01:59 PM
I don't see where there's contact - look how he lands - there'd have to be some adjustment by Wicks as he hits the ground after landing on Montero. He just jumps over him.

Did Montero pull up his jersey to reveal stud marks ? I bet he didn't.

flambe
09-03-2009, 01:59 PM

I'm inclined to agree, and how the linesman who was on the wrong side to have an accurate view could be sure is also a concern.

If you watch Montero's body as the "stomp" takes place you would expect to see some body movement of some kind, I see none. If anything it looks like he landed on Montero's hand.

deltox
09-03-2009, 02:18 PM
but think of how it looked the first time.

you said red card.

also if a player attempts to stomp but doesnt make contact...thats a red card.

it looks like he was trying to stomp on him....maybe even his hand

shwade
09-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Montero is almost sitting upright, there's no way that's a chest stomp. probably on his arm or something, still a red-card though.

TOBOR !
09-03-2009, 02:35 PM
it only looks like he was trying to stomp him by Montero's action (not reaction).

I think the time is soon for two more linesmen to be added to the game to run the touchlines.

Flashman
09-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Watching this incident live and in the replays last night, I am pretty sure I saw Montero retrieving and clutching at his hand, and on the replays it looked pretty clear that he did land on Montero's hand.

Even if he didn't really land on him, and Montero overreacted, his actions were still meant to intimidate, and everyone saw it except the on field referee.

jloome
09-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Nonsense, I watched the game and they showed a closeup of his foot, which he didn't just leave in but actually ground into Montero. It was entirely deliberate. I don't think he caught him flush, and Montero definitely hyped it, but that was definitely a stomp.

MG42
09-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Nonsense, I watched the game and they showed a closeup of his foot, which he didn't just leave in but actually ground into Montero. It was entirely deliberate. I don't think he caught him flush, and Montero definitely hyped it, but that was definitely a stomp.

explain

jloome
09-03-2009, 02:48 PM
And Wicks owns up to it and says he just lost his temper on Steve Goff's Washington Post blog, effectively putting that to bed.

jloome
09-03-2009, 02:49 PM
explain
His foot is already down on the guy, and he wiggles it, grinding his foot into the guy.

As I said, read Steve Goff's blog.

DangerRed
09-03-2009, 03:06 PM
From Goff's blog:

Posted at 2:10 PM ET, 09/ 3/2009 Lots of Reflection at RFK

Hey guys, with Goff on his way to Salt Lake City, I headed over to RFK today to get to work on previewing Saturday's game at Dallas. Thought I'd give you some stuff real quick:
First, Josh Wicks reflecting on last night's bizarre and unnecessary stomp and ejection.

Wicks on looking back on last night:
Just try to get the team back behind me and move forward. I gotta own up for what happened and just talk to my team about it and try to get forward from it.
On if he's reflected a lot over the past day:
A lot, very, very lot. You just got to go back and take a look in the mirror and realize, see what kind of player I want to be and see what kind of professional I want to be and that surely wasn't it last night. Like I said I still got to talk to my team still and work things out with them but at the same time after everything

Then there's also this, from MLSnet story (link:http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090903&content_id=6767934&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp):

United were kept in contention by some quality goalkeeping from Josh Wicks, who carried his team with four excellent saves in the first half only to go from hero to goat in a flash as he impetuously stomped on Fredy Montero after the Colombian had netted the opening goal in the 67th minute.

Referee Alex Prus was alerted to the incident by fourth official Andrew Chapin and the resulting red card sentenced United to finish the night a man short.
"It was a mistake on my part and I've got to learn my lesson," said Wicks afterward, the most downcast face in a somber United locker room. "The fourth official made a call and the ref made the final decision. That was it. I've got no excuses for it."

Redpunkfiddle
09-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Yeash. Remind me to hire any of you guys who provided that excellent video analysis of the incident exonerating Wicks for my defence team next time I'm in court....

TOBOR !
09-04-2009, 07:31 AM
whatevs. further evidence is uncovered and the accused confesses. All we had to go on was that YouTube vid - pretty inconclusive.

grizzle
09-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Montero is almost sitting upright, there's no way that's a chest stomp. probably on his arm or something, still a red-card though.

Thats what I was thinking... he lands flawlessly, and appears to be more to the side of Montero. Can't see how they are saying that he jumps on his chest.

James17930
09-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Either way, it doesn't matter. You do something like that, you're gonna get carded.