PDA

View Full Version : Want Grass at BMO? How You Can Help....

DOMIN8R
09-03-2009, 09:04 AM
This thread is not the place to voice your opinion about whether we should get grass, how to get grass or anything else related to the how, where, why, when, who.

Purpose
This thread is the place supporters come to show their support for grass at BMO by informing City of Toronto Councillors, Exhibition Place Board of Directors and others to take action and support the removal of synthetic turf from City owned BMO field and replace it with real grass before the 2010 season starts.

Background

If you have to ask, I suggest that you search other threads on this issue to find out why getting grass at BMO matters. Again, this thread is not the place to discuss the why, how or what. If you feel the need to post along those lines then post in one of the other 20 threads that discusses these issues.

Some of us have been quietly working on this for several weeks.

Take action immediately

... or whenever you have a moment . Many (18 at the time of this writing) soccer supporters already have contacted their politicians and bureaucrats and received a response. My goal is to get another 80 to do the same. This a grass roots driven initiative. This is not being directed by any one organization.

What you can do to help

See Next Post

Then what

Take action yourself and then recruit family members and friends to contact others to do the same.

Post in this thread, if you have made contact and made a request so that we can keep track.

In closing

Again, the intent of this thread is to encourage individuals to influence City Councillors, Exhibition Place Board of Directors, Provincial Politicians, City Bureaucrats and others who may have influence and to motivate others to do the same. Nothing else. How you do it is up to you as individuals.

If you do want grass then you have your own reasons for it. Make those reasons known, ask for a reply and make it clear that you expect them to make grass at BMO in 2010 a reality.

DOMIN8R
09-03-2009, 09:05 AM
First, find someone who you think can influence the decision to get grass at BMO. Then tell them you want grass at BMO and they should help mke that a reality.

Enter your street address here (http://app.toronto.ca/wards/jsp/wards.jsp). Find out how you may reach you Councillor (by e-mail, letter, fax or telephone). Or if you know who your Councillor is, then go here (http://app.toronto.ca/im/council/councillors.jsp) to find their contact information.

Exhibition Place Board Members are:

Joe Pantalone, Deputy Mayor, City of Toronto/Chair, Board of Governors;
Brian Ashton;
Maria Augimeri;
Mona ElSayeh;
Gloria Lindsay Luby;
Rocco Maragna;
Mark Grimes;
Knox Henry;
Camilla Mackenzie;
Jim McMillen;
Gord Perks; and
John Weatherup
Anyone can help and make a difference. All you have to do is send a fax, letter, e-mail or call someone who has influence.

DOMIN8R
09-03-2009, 09:06 AM
The following TFC supporters and footie enthusiasts have chosen to make difference and bring grass to BMO.

Auzzy
andyc
ballerz
section110
Loyal
MThomas
Hustle
phonzo
Mikenfer
Marianne
tfc_junkie
Wagner
the Professor
barticusz
SweetOwnGoal
jazzy
Marco2K
FluSH
Standup105
Parkdale
Brooker
Joe Kool
Ensco
billyfly
Nodoubtguy
Batman
Roogsy
English Rachel
Denime
lintberg
Mark67
brad
Afra
RooneyRPB
king dave
prizby
Whoopee
Bloor West FC
DOMIN8R
Ossington Mental Youth
Add your name to the list and make your voice heard.

Lucky Strike
09-03-2009, 09:20 AM
All I can say is that I approve of this initiative since I can't influence councillors in another city.

DOMIN8R
09-03-2009, 09:23 AM
All I can say is that I approve of this initiative since I can't influence councillors in another city.

This is simply untrue.

Anyone can influence the decision makers here. We have had people send letters to their MPPs or who have asked their friends and relatives in Toronto to send an e-mail voicing their desire for grass at BMO. So you can make a difference.

The question is whether you care enough to try.

Parkdale
09-03-2009, 09:24 AM
This a grass roots driven initiative.I see what you did there.

I just sent an email to Councillor Gord Perks.

DOMIN8R
09-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Just a reminder. This section will get a lot of views by various staketholders in the coming weeks.

Let's keep this civil so as not to burn any bridges.

Roogsy
09-03-2009, 09:34 AM
I'd like to see more names on that list! Like I mentioned before, if you are from Toronto and unless you have your name on that list, you will have little room to complain about grass and MLSE going forward and you should called on it.

If you really want grass at BMO, this is something you need to get behind. If all the grass issue represents is another reason to bitch about MLSE, then you will have no leg to stand on in the future. And people will definitely ask you "Have you sent a letter to your councillor?".

Ossington Mental Youth
09-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Contacted the fella in my ward.
Polite and concise.

Lucky Strike
09-03-2009, 09:52 AM
This is simply untrue.

Anyone can influence the decision makers here. We have had people send letters to their MPPs or who have asked their friends and relatives in Toronto to send an e-mail voicing their desire for grass at BMO. So you can make a difference.

The question is whether you care enough to try.

I did consider that, but why would my MPP here in Ottawa care about something in Toronto? Like city councillors often really care only about their ward, MPPs primarily look after their riding. I'm not trying to be confrontational at all in saying this, it's simply that I'm unsure if I'd be taken seriously if I wrote a letter or something of the sort.

Parkdale
09-03-2009, 09:54 AM
technically, it's still the 'National Soccer Stadium' and as a fan of the National Team, it's in your best interest to get the team on the best playing surface (which is natural grass).

Lucky Strike
09-03-2009, 10:00 AM
technically, it's still the 'National Soccer Stadium' and as a fan of the National Team, it's in your best interest to get the team on the best playing surface (which is natural grass).

Ah, that's a good idea! I think I'll do that then.

C.Ronaldo
09-03-2009, 11:27 AM
if its the National Soccer Stadium, maybe some infrastrcuture money can go its way from the Feds

Belfast_Boy
09-03-2009, 11:42 AM
This is the answer I got back.

Ms. Scagnol, CNE,
Can you help? The organizations mentioned are private companies and we
do not deal with this part of the city (it may be the Deputy Mayor's
ward). Could you assist Mr. Ferris with his concerns and provide
contacts at the City?

cc'd to Parks division General Manager as there may be some involvement
in this matter.

Best regards,
Trish for

SANDRA BUSSIN
Council Speaker -
Toronto City Council
City Councillor -
Beaches - East York - Ward 32
100 Queen St. West, Suite B28
Toronto ON M5H 2N2
EMAIL: councillor_bussin@toronto.ca (http://ca.mc523.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=councillor_bussin@toronto.ca)
PHONE: 416-392-1376
FAX: 416-392-7444

Joe is next on my list. going to hit em all. here is his email for those that feel like being part of the solution. councillor_pantalone@toronto.ca (councillor_pantalone@toronto.ca)
like Roogsy said NO bitching if you don't try to help. Thanks Domin8r for doing this.

Whoop
09-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Re-mailed Howard Moscoe and CC'd Joe Pantalone.

DOMIN8R
09-03-2009, 11:43 AM
^^^ Good work. Keep it up.

king dave
09-03-2009, 11:47 AM
This is the answer I got back.

Ms. Scagnol, CNE,
Can you help? The organizations mentioned are private companies and we
do not deal with this part of the city (it may be the Deputy Mayor's
ward). Could you assist Mr. Ferris with his concerns and provide
contacts at the City?

cc'd to Parks division General Manager as there may be some involvement
in this matter.

Best regards,
Trish for

SANDRA BUSSIN
Council Speaker -
Toronto City Council
City Councillor -
Beaches - East York - Ward 32
100 Queen St. West, Suite B28
Toronto ON M5H 2N2
EMAIL: councillor_bussin@toronto.ca (http://ca.mc523.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=councillor_bussin@toronto.ca)
PHONE: 416-392-1376
FAX: 416-392-7444

Joe is next on my list. going to hit em all.
GET HIM!
KD.

Parkdale
09-03-2009, 11:52 AM
how about we just set King Dave up on their front lawn until the give us grass?

Belfast_Boy
09-03-2009, 12:16 PM
how about we just set King Dave up on their front lawn until the give us grass?

set him up with a lawnchair, bull horn and cooler full of beer!

Parkdale
09-03-2009, 12:18 PM
I was thinking of the lawn chair.... but Dave doesn't sit - he's in retail!

king dave
09-03-2009, 12:21 PM
set him up with a lawnchair, bull horn and cooler full of beer!

I don't sit.
I don't need one.
And I might need 2:D.
KD.

Parkdale
09-03-2009, 12:58 PM
just heard back:

I am writing on behalf of Councillor Perks.
Thanks for forwarding your concerns and suggestions regarding this matter.

Sincerely,

Belfast_Boy
09-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Got this back..... politcal blah blah blah....

they should take the rubber from BMO field and throw it in the Gardens for community use!

Good afternoon Mr. Ferris,

Thank you for contacting Deputy Mayor Pantalone with your concerns regarding the turf at BMO Field.

The BMO Field has exceeded all expectations, both in terms of professional and amateur/ community events, which speaks to the high level of usage you indicate that has in turn impacted the playing surface. Exhibition Place is considering proposals from Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. concerning a conversion to a natural grass field as the present Field Turf will likely have to be replaced in 2010 because it will no longer meet FIFA standards.

Some of the current issues that need to be addressed by MLSE prior to consideration by Exhibition Place of a conversion of BMO Field include:

Replacement (hour of hour) of existing community use or better still an increase in community use hours at an alternative location.
Accessibility and affordability of any replacement community use.
All costs associated with a proposal must be paid for by Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. and there must not be any negative financial impacts on the City or Exhibition Place.
You will be pleased to know that intense and constructive discussions are presently underway between Exhibition Place/ The City of Toronto/ and MLSE on replacing the artificial turf with grass, and the building of a bubble nearby (for November to April community/ amateur soccer usage which has to be indoor, given our climate). However, proposals for the conversion must be thoroughly assessed by staff and be reported through the public process including the Board of Exhibition Place and City Council which means work will likely not begin this year.

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your concerns.

Sincerely,
Angelina Conte
On behalf of

Joe Pantalone
Deputy Mayor
City of Toronto

councillor_pantalone@toronto.ca (http://ca.mc523.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=councillor_pantalone@toronto.ca)

Parkdale
09-03-2009, 02:10 PM
sure you'll get a lot of political junktalk, but keeping the issue in their minds is what matters.

ElvistheEvilScotsman
09-03-2009, 06:02 PM
If you want to influence Grimes visit the Blue Goose Tavern right next to the Mimico Go Train stop. He holds court there most days of the week.

king dave
09-03-2009, 06:23 PM
If you want to influence Grimes visit the Blue Goose Tavern right next to the Mimico Go Train stop. He holds court there most days of the week.
I've been to that bar.
It's a great dive.
A few east coast types drink there.
My kinda place.
KD.

Marco2K
09-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Message sent to my MP

Gloria Lindsay Lubyhttp://www.toronto.ca/councillors/photos/gluby.jpg<FONT size=2 face=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif>City Hall
100 Queen Street West, Suite B38
Toronto, ON M5H 2N2
Phone: 416-392-1369
Fax: 416-696-4138

councillor_lindsay_luby@toronto.ca (councillor_lindsay_luby@toronto.ca)

Cobblers
09-03-2009, 06:53 PM
I'll try to send a few notes to some councillors over the weekend but the other thought I had was whether or not the City and/or MLSE could tap into the potential Pan Am Games bid by Toronto to get the other venue the city is looking for to allow BMO to go to grass. A decision on who gets the 2015 games is supposed to be made in oct/nov of this year (ie. soon). If Toronto were to get the games it might be an avenue for a partnership to get an alternate facility that could be used by the city before and after the games, used as venue or practice facility during the games, and then used by the city again after the games. The city gets its year-round facility, the Pan Am games gets a venue and BMO could be converted to grass. As the Pan Am games are high profile the city would seemingly want to promote the idea and if we're lucky push for it quickly...

I don't know the inner workings of all this but just thought it might be a way to put a bit more of a profile and importance on the alternate venue for the City...hence allowing BMO to go to grass...

DOMIN8R
09-03-2009, 07:03 PM
I don't know the inner workings of all this but just thought it might be a way to put a bit more of a profile and importance on the alternate venue for the City...hence allowing BMO to go to grass...

Great idea the Pan-Am angle. But it's too long a time horizon, me thinks. We need adoption, on whatever the MLSE propose, to get grass by 2010.

I suggest we leave the what, how, why and where to the City, Exhibition Place and MLSE.

We care about grass at BMO by next season. Period. Anything that helps make that a reality - we should be in favour of.

Standup105
09-03-2009, 07:17 PM
I've just emailed Ward 6 councillor, Frances Nunziata.

FluSH
09-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Alright! I finally got to write a letter to my councillor (via our house in Scarborough)

http://www.toronto.ca/councillors/photos/clee.jpg
Chin Lee

City Hall
100 Queen Street West, Suite A10
Toronto, ON M5H 2N2
Phone: 416-392-1375
Fax: 416-392-1050

councillor_lee@toronto.ca (councillor_lee@toronto.ca)

I'll post the response once I get it. I pretty much explained my concern the reason behind my concern and the request to voice this concern... and also to have a word with Joe Pantalone. If I don't hear back from Mr. Lee by next Tuesday I will let you know. Maybe I'll write him again or you can suggest an alternative.

-FluSH

billyfly
09-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Hello Bill,

I am writing on behalf of Councillor Perks.

Thanks for forwarding your concerns regarding this matter.

Sincerely,
Morayo N.
Administrative Assistant.

Whoop
09-03-2009, 09:40 PM
I got the same response as Mark67 from Pantalone's office... they CC'd Moscoe as well.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for including Deputy Mayor Pantalone on your concerns regarding the turf at BMO Field.

The BMO Field has exceeded all expectations, both in terms of professional and amateur/ community events, which speaks to the high level of usage you indicate.
Exhibition Place is considering proposals from Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. concerning a conversion to a natural grass field as the present Field Turf will likely have to be replaced in 2010 because it will no longer meet FIFA standards.

Some of the current issues that need to be addressed by MLSE prior to consideration by Exhibition Place of a conversion of BMO Field include:

Replacement (hour of hour) of existing community use or better still an increase in community use hours at an alternative location.
All costs associated with a proposal must be paid for by Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. and there must not be any negative financial impacts on the City or Exhibition Place.
You will be pleased to know that intense and constructive discussions are presently underway between Exhibition Place/ The City of Toronto/ and MLSE on replacing the artificial turf with grass, and the building of a bubble nearby (for November to April community/ amateur soccer usage which has to be indoor, given our climate). However, proposals for the conversion must be thoroughly assessed by staff and be reported through the public process including the Board of Exhibition Place and City Council which means work will likely not begin this year.

Thank you for taking the time to write and sharing your concerns.

Sincerely,
Angelina Conte
On behalf of

Joe Pantalone
Deputy Mayor
City of Toronto

councillor_pantalone@toronto.ca (councillor_pantalone@toronto.ca)

Krasno.pL.
09-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Nice ^ lets hope shes not just blowing u off with that .

DOMIN8R
09-04-2009, 06:53 AM
23 TFC supporters and footie enthusiasts have chosen to help make grass at BMO a reality.

king dave
09-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Good morning everybody.
Now let's go get us some real grass, OK?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2488/3887063528_1aafb13ec5.jpg

KD.

DOMIN8R
09-05-2009, 09:52 AM
http://www.hendersonriverlanding.com/Speed_Bump.jpg

jazzy
09-05-2009, 06:54 PM
This thread is not the place to voice your opinion about whether we should get grass, how to get grass or anything else related to the how, where, why, when, who.

Purpose
This thread is the place supporters come to show their support for grass at BMO by informing City of Toronto Councillors, Exhibition Place Board of Directors and others to take action and support the removal of synthetic turf from City owned BMO field and replace it with real grass before the 2010 season starts.

Background

If you have to ask, I suggest that you search other threads on this issue to find out why getting grass at BMO matters. Again, this thread is not the place to discuss the why, how or what. If you feel the need to post along those lines then post in one of the other 20 threads that discusses these issues.

Some of us have been quietly working on this for several weeks.

Take action immediately

... or whenever you have a moment . Many (18 at the time of this writing) soccer supporters already have contacted their politicians and bureaucrats and received a response. My goal is to get another 80 to do the same. This a grass roots driven initiative. This is not being directed by any one organization.

What you can do to help

See Next Post

Then what

Take action yourself and then recruit family members and friends to contact others to do the same.

Post in this thread, if you have made contact and made a request so that we can keep track.

In closing

Again, the intent of this thread is to encourage individuals to influence City Councillors, Exhibition Place Board of Directors, Provincial Politicians, City Bureaucrats and others who may have influence and to motivate others to do the same. Nothing else. How you do it is up to you as individuals.

If you do want grass then you have your own reasons for it. Make those reasons known, ask for a reply and make it clear that you expect them to make grass at BMO in 2010 a reality.

E-mailed Mr. Pantalone
Mr. and Mrs Jazzy

DOMIN8R
09-06-2009, 06:53 PM
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/3/31/Animooted-bump.gif

Afra
09-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Spoke with my neighbor who is a city counciller the other day. He would be all in favor for it and sees the value in grass there. If the community requirements are met, he is all for it.

FluSH
09-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Come on people this can be done... what's a quick email or letter? It will take at most 30mins of your time (well depending on what you write) however it will make a differance!

SweetOwnGoal
09-08-2009, 11:29 AM
I just sent this:

I am writing you today to voice my support for installing grass at BMO Field. As you may know, the current artificial surface at the stadium has deteriorated badly over the past three years and is widely unpopular amongst many of the athletes that play on it. The surface is undoubtedly preventing the stadium from reaching its full potential. Many top club teams, as well as the Canadian national teams, are reluctant to play on it. As a result Torontonians have likely lost out on numerous opportunities to watch top level soccer in this community.

I appreciate that BMO Field was built using public funds with the provision that it be available for community usage. There is little doubt that local soccer teams have benefited from having access to the facility, especially in the winter months. However, it must be stressed that Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment Limited has made it clear that they are committed to ensuring that an equitable facility is put in place if they are allowed to install grass at BMO Field. Additionally, the company has promised to pay for both the new facility and the grass installation out of its own pocket. Ratepayers in Toronto will not be on the hook for the upgrades.

Provided that the city receives those assurances from MLSEL, I cannot think of a single reason to prevent the company from undertaking this project. A grass pitch at BMO Field would provide the city with a facility that it could truly be proud of. It would likely make the Pan Am Games bid more attractive and would potentially provide a boost to Canada's rumoured 2015 Women's World Cup bid. BMO Field would also instantly become a favourite to host a MLS Cup championship game.

Again, I want to stress my appreciation of the importance of community usage. I do agree that MLSEL should ensure that the community has a place to play in the winter. However, if that assurance is found, I implore you to support this endeavour.

Thank you for your time,

FluSH
09-08-2009, 02:02 PM
^^^^^^^^
THANKS SoG!!!

Come on guys.... we need more... we should have at least 100 letters/emails by now...

Belfast_Boy
09-08-2009, 03:37 PM
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/3/31/Animooted-bump.gif

that's soooooooo wrong! LOL

how goes the campaign?

Stugatzo
09-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Just a reminder. This section will get a lot of views by various staketholders in the coming weeks.

Let's keep this civil so as not to burn any bridges.

Who did you have in mind, Hal?
:rolleyes:

billyfly
09-08-2009, 03:45 PM
^ Stu where have you been? They didn't do "all hands" and make you help and clean up the garbage did they? :D

FluSH
09-08-2009, 03:48 PM
^^^
LOL

DOMIN8R
09-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Who did you have in mind, Hal?
:rolleyes:

MLSinToronto!:D

jazzy
09-08-2009, 09:26 PM
:drinking:
First, find someone who you think can influence the decision to get grass at BMO. Then tell them you want grass at BMO and they should help mke that a reality.

Enter your street address here (http://app.toronto.ca/wards/jsp/wards.jsp). Find out how you may reach you Councillor (by e-mail, letter, fax or telephone). Or if you know who your Councillor is, then go here (http://app.toronto.ca/im/council/councillors.jsp) to find their contact information.

Brian Ashton;
Maria Augimeri;
Mona ElSayeh;
Gloria Lindsay Luby;
Rocco Maragna;
Mark Grimes;
Knox Henry;
Camilla Mackenzie;
Jim McMillen;
Gord Perks; and
John Weatherup
Anyone can help and make a difference. All you have to do is send a fax, letter, e-mail or call someone who has influence.

Get a load of this response: I e-mailed Mr. Pantalone..........

Good afternoon Mr. xxxx(me)

Thank you for contacting Deputy Mayor Pantalone about this important issue, he has asked that I respond to your letter.

I am happy to hear events at BMO Field have brought you much pleasure and become a part of your familial traditions in Toronto. The BMO Field has exceeded all expectations, both in terms of professional and amateur/ community events. Exhibition Place is considering proposals from Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. concerning a conversion to a natural grass field.

You will be pleased to know that intense and constructive discussions are presently underway between Exhibition Place/ The City of Toronto/ and MLSE on replacing the artificial turf with grass, and the building of a bubble nearby (for November to April community/ amateur soccer usage which has to be indoor, given our climate).

Proposals for the conversion must be thoroughly assessed by staff and be reported through the public process including the Board of Exhibition Place and City Council which means work will likely not begin this year but will be a future consideration as the present Field Turf will likely have to be replaced in 2010 because it will no longer meet FIFA standards.

I hope you find this information encouraging and thank you for taking the time to write and share your experiences.

Sincerely,

Angelina Conte
Constituency Assistant
Office of Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone
Tel: 416-338-5232
Fax: 416-392-4100
E-mail: aconte@toronto.ca

100 Queen Street West
2nd Floor, Suite C-47
Toronto, ON
M5H 2N2

barticusz
09-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Though I am not a Toronto resident, (London Ontario here), I did take the time to write Joe Pantalone an email and stressed the fact that BMO is our National Team's field as well as a place where our youth go to develop their skills. It is crucial that we provide them with the optimum conditions for development and the chance to compete against the other nations of the world.

Hopefully he takes the time to read it and respond to me.

barticusz
09-09-2009, 11:30 AM
^^ Got the same response as the others above me.

The Professor
09-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Based on Stugatzo's post this morning http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=17133 I am sending an email to the Exhibition Place Board of Directors to encourage them to make the right choice tomorrow.
Don't let mine be the only message they receive (hint, hint!):D

Belfast_Boy
09-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Contact info.

The Board of Governors of Exhibition Place
200 Princes' Boulevard
Toronto Ontario Canada
M6K 3C3

General Information 416-263-3600
Booking Inquiries 416-263-3608
Equipment Rentals 416-263-3655
Client Services 416-263-3666
Catering 416-263-3158
Direct Energy Centre 416-263-3000
General Fax 416-263-3690
EMAIL information@explace.on.ca (information@explace.on.ca)

Belfast_Boy
09-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Based on Stugatzo's post this morning http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=17133 I am sending an email to the Exhibition Place Board of Directors to encourage them to make the right choice tomorrow.
Don't let mine be the only message they receive (hint, hint!):D

do you have better contact info?

DOMIN8R
09-10-2009, 09:14 AM
I think that this is what he used

EMAIL information@explace.on.ca (information@explace.on.ca)

The Professor
09-10-2009, 09:15 AM
do you have better contact info?

Second post of this thread:

Brian Ashton;
Maria Augimeri;
Mona ElSayeh;
Gloria Lindsay Luby;
Rocco Maragna;
Mark Grimes;
Knox Henry;
Camilla Mackenzie;
Jim McMillen;
Gord Perks; and
John Weatherup

Belfast_Boy
09-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Second post of this thread:

duh... sorry. have been up all night.

already emailed most of them... but one more won't hurt right!

Auzzy
09-10-2009, 09:31 AM
I spoke personally with my Toronto city councillor, voicing my support for conversion to grass, and raising concerns about the impact of the current surface.

Today there's a new thread (and hopeful news) about the conversion to grass, which may be a better spot for further conversation.

Wagner
09-10-2009, 09:49 AM
letter sent to Joey Pants (My councillor)

TFC_Junky
09-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Sent mine to Kyle Rae!

Hi Brad -

On behalf of Kyle, thank you for your email. I'll ensure he receives your input regarding BMO field.

Best regards,
Ryan Lahr

FluSH
09-10-2009, 10:18 AM
comeon guys... NOW IS THE TIME

Joe Kool
09-11-2009, 02:34 PM
I just received the following from Exhibition Place CEO Dianne Young because I wrote a letter to the Board of Governors to try and get grass approved. I was also sent 24 page file of the actual agreement so if anyone is interested in that, send me a PM and I can email it to you.

Major Investment in City Soccer Facilities

For Immediate Release…Toronto ON, September 11th, 2009 - At its meeting today, The Board of Governors of Exhibition Place approved a proposal that would see Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. investing $5.5 million in public soccer facilities across the City.

The proposal included the following investments:
· $3.5 million to replace the Field Turf at BMO Field with a natural grass field
· $2.0 million investment in community sports facilities which includes an estimated $1.2 million to upgrade Allan Lamport Stadium with the winter bubble and a $0.8 million investment in the playing field at Lakeshore Collegiate Institute or some other community facility in Ward 6 (Etobicoke-Lakeshore) to covert the field to Field Turf

Both The Ontario Soccer Association and The Canadian Soccer Association have applauded the plans to upgrade Lamport Stadium and provide natural grass at BMO Field. As stated in their letters of support, the soccer community will be better served because the soccer facility inventory in Toronto will increase. In fact, the upgrades to these three facilities will result in over 2,500 more hours available for community sport use.
Gord Perks, Councillor Ward 14 Parkdale-High Park and Member of the Exhibition Place Board supported the proposal. “Over the last few years, we have been working to upgrade Allan Lamport Stadium for community use through the installation of Field Turf in 2007 and a field cover in 2008. The addition of the winter bubble will now allow Lamport to be a 365-day
operation which is a very positive direction for not only Parkdale – High Park residents but for the City.”
In addition to the capital commitment, in the proposal Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment are also committing to guaranteeing revenues to pay for any additional costs associated with the installation of natural grass and the loss of revenues at Exhibition Place and BMO Field because of the community program moving to Lamport.

Akasha
09-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Please sign and let others know about it.
http://www.petitiononline.com/TFCBMO/petition.html

James Oliphant
09-11-2009, 04:09 PM

Just started today. It can't hurt.

Hustle
09-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Just checked my email...Dianne Young sent me the same email as a response to my letter to her.

Blizzard
09-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I just received the following from Exhibition Place CEO Dianne Young because I wrote a letter to the Board of Governors to try and get grass approved. I was also sent 24 page file of the actual agreement so if anyone is interested in that, send me a PM and I can email it to you.

Major Investment in City Soccer Facilities

For Immediate Release…Toronto ON, September 11th, 2009 - At its meeting today, The Board of Governors of Exhibition Place approved a proposal that would see Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. investing $5.5 million in public soccer facilities across the City.

The proposal included the following investments:
· $3.5 million to replace the Field Turf at BMO Field with a natural grass field
· $2.0 million investment in community sports facilities which includes an estimated $1.2 million to upgrade Allan Lamport Stadium with the winter bubble and a $0.8 million investment in the playing field at Lakeshore Collegiate Institute or some other community facility in Ward 6 (Etobicoke-Lakeshore) to covert the field to Field Turf

Both The Ontario Soccer Association and The Canadian Soccer Association have applauded the plans to upgrade Lamport Stadium and provide natural grass at BMO Field. As stated in their letters of support, the soccer community will be better served because the soccer facility inventory in Toronto will increase. In fact, the upgrades to these three facilities will result in over 2,500 more hours available for community sport use.
Gord Perks, Councillor Ward 14 Parkdale-High Park and Member of the Exhibition Place Board supported the proposal. “Over the last few years, we have been working to upgrade Allan Lamport Stadium for community use through the installation of Field Turf in 2007 and a field cover in 2008. The addition of the winter bubble will now allow Lamport to be a 365-day
operation which is a very positive direction for not only Parkdale – High Park residents but for the City.”
In addition to the capital commitment, in the proposal Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment are also committing to guaranteeing revenues to pay for any additional costs associated with the installation of natural grass and the loss of revenues at Exhibition Place and BMO Field because of the community program moving to Lamport.

But will the ghosts of the women's reformatory approve? :hide:

DOMIN8R
09-11-2009, 07:13 PM
But will the ghosts of the women's reformatory approve? :hide:

So few know the truth about Lamport. It has a scary history. Even stories of ghosts....

ensco
09-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Congratulations, Domin8r.

This is a true tribute to the power of positive action and positive thinking.

billyfly
09-11-2009, 09:14 PM
So few know the truth about Lamport. It has a scary history. Even stories of ghosts....

Every time I walk by this I feel spooky!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Mercer_Reformatory_Superintendent%27s_House.jpg

mikenfer
09-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Feel free to add me to the list as well; sent messages a while back to both my councillor and the Mayor.

DOMIN8R
09-14-2009, 08:54 AM
We have 13 days to keep this initiative on track. I think that we are great shape as long as nothing surfaces and derails City Council from approving the proposed plan on September 30.

We still need your help.

City Council needs to know how we feel. If you haven't already done so, let them know how you feel; and
GTA media need to present this plan in favourable light so that Councilors do the right thing come September 30.
This is where we must stay vigilant and monitor what the media says - print media, talk radio, etc. Please report back here anything negative that you hear about the proposal to make grass a relaity for next season at BMO.

Thank you.

Roogsy
09-14-2009, 08:58 AM
This has been a great start to a great initiative by Domin8r.

Let's keep this going people.

We'd like to see more participation. This has been an issue that has been talked about to death on this board. If you've bitched about grass...this is your chance to put your money where your mouth is, as it were.

Akasha
09-14-2009, 02:25 PM

Just started today. It can't hurt.

20K show up to each game - we should be able to get that many signatures. Please re-post wherever you can and email to friends. I Need to send this to city council onthe 29th.
Akasha:scarf:

olegunnar
09-14-2009, 03:11 PM
This has been a great start to a great initiative by Domin8r.

I agree 100%

To be honest I'm not a fan of the mamby pamby, softy yay team at the expense of critical thinking vibe Domin8r, Hal or whoever he is usually has when he posts about the team

I'm pretty sure the feelings are mutual and he really can't stand my opinions either(to put it mildly)...but I digress.

I wanted to post to say that no matter what a ponce I think he is based on his posts...his part in this campaign deserves our respect and I think he's done a really great thing helping to spearhead, organize, and coach the readers of this forum to lobby the correct people in the correct manner to get us grass.

Good on ya Domin8r!!

phonzo
09-14-2009, 08:31 PM
e-mail sent...

The Professor
09-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Received from our councillor:

Thank you for your message regarding BMO Field. I am writing to confirm that Councillor McConnell does indeed support the proposed improvements, and will be voting in favour when this item comes before Council.

Belfast_Boy
09-15-2009, 08:49 AM
here's one reply I got from the fokes at the X.

]Major Investment in City Soccer FacilitiesFor Immediate Release…Toronto ON, September 11th, 2009
At its meeting today, The Board of Governors of Exhibition Place approved a proposal that would see Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. investing $5.5 million in public soccer facilities across the City.
The Board of Governors of Exhibition Place approved a proposal that would see Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. investing .5 million in public soccer facilities across the City. The proposal included the following investments:
its meeting today, The Board of Governors of Exhibition Place approved a proposal that would see Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. investing .5 million in public soccer facilities across the City. $3.5 million to replace the Field Turf at BMO Field with a natural grass field
The Board of Governors of Exhibition Place approved a proposal that would see Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. investing .5 million in public soccer facilities across the City.
·$2.0 million investment in community sports facilities which includes an estimated $1.2 million to upgrade Allan Lamport Stadium with the winter bubble and a $0.8 million investment in the playing field at Lakeshore Collegiate Institute or some other community facility in Ward 6 (Etobicoke-Lakeshore) to covert the field to Field Turf
Gord Perks, Councillor Ward 14 Parkdale-High Park and Member of the Exhibition Place Board supported the proposal. “Over the last few years, we have been working to upgrade Allan Lamport Stadium for community use through the installation of Field Turf in 2007 and a field cover in 2008. The addition of the winter bubble will now allow Lamport to be a 365-day operation which is a very positive direction for not only Parkdale – High Park residents but for the City.”
This is a win-win-win proposal for the City of Toronto, community sports and for professional soccer” said Deputy Mayor Pantalone, Chair of Exhibition Place. “BMO Field at Exhibition Place has been a resounding success since it first opened with the FIFA Under 20’s Men’s Championship in 2007. Having natural grass at BMO Field will help the City attract more of these international events and that will only have a positive economic impact for the City as just one of these events brings in excess of $2.0 million of direct spending to Toronto”.
The proposal is contingent on the necessary approvals from City Council and the Federal and Provincial Governments who partnered with the City to build the National Soccer Stadium in 2007.

DOMIN8R
09-15-2009, 08:57 AM
Time to focus our attention on City Council and ask them how they intend to vote on September 30.

Belfast_Boy
09-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Time to focus our attention on City Council and ask them how they intend to vote on September 30.

Aye Aye Captain!

emailed my councillor already, waiting for response.

phonzo
09-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Received from our councillor:

Thank you for your message regarding BMO Field. I am writing to confirm that Councillor McConnell does indeed support the proposed improvements, and will be voting in favour when this item comes before Council.

i better get the same reply back..i even tried buttering her up and appealing to her district school board trustee days...

they are quick there...same response as above..she better vote now!

Belfast_Boy
09-16-2009, 08:18 AM
Got this response from my coucillor. that's one more YES vote!!!

Mark, A member of the Board spoke to me about this issue and provided the justification. Yes, will support. S
Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

Hustle
09-16-2009, 10:04 AM
OK! Last email to the Exhibition place got good results, so I just fired off an email to Mr. Vaughan on behalf of me and my friend who lives in his ward. I figure I am there enough to be a part time Ward 20er.

http://www.toronto.ca/councillors/photos/avaughan.jpg
WARD 20: Trinity-Spadina
Adam Vaughan
City Hall
100 Queen Street West, Suite C50
Toronto, ON M5H 2N2
Phone: 416-392-4044
Fax: 416-392-4130

councillor_vaughan@toronto.ca

Ward map (http://www.toronto.ca/wards2000/images/ward20.gif)

Councillor Vaughan's website:
www.adamvaughan.ca (http://www.adamvaughan.ca/)

Hustle
09-16-2009, 10:04 AM
^ When I get something back, I will post.

DOMIN8R
09-17-2009, 11:25 AM
BUMP

Wagner
09-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Joey Pants sent me a form email saying he's down with the cause.

loconet
09-17-2009, 12:31 PM
so the elections threat seems to be over... http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/696931

jabbronies
09-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Councillor Bussin (Ward 32) will be supporting it!

DOMIN8R
09-17-2009, 06:09 PM
I thought I would share what I've been hearing.

I've spoken with a few Councillors in the last week or so. I saw one this evening and asked about grass and he replied:

"....yeah, yeah - I'm supporting it. I'm getting e-mail everyday about it."

So keep up the good work everyone. It makes a difference!

Next week I will try and find out if there is any perceived resistors.

Ageroo
09-17-2009, 06:14 PM
This is very good to hear Hal.......again..great Work!

andyc
09-18-2009, 01:17 PM
I just signed the online petition and sent an email to Councillor Filion from my ward. This guy may not be a support because he isn't exactly a fan of the Mayor..

phonzo
09-18-2009, 01:18 PM
This is very good to hear Hal.......again..great Work!

agreed :scarf:

Phil
09-18-2009, 01:34 PM
My councillor never emailed me back, so I just phoned them and informed them of the upcoming vote in an effort to find out how he is voting.

They are promising me that he will call me. I will keep you updated.

Denzil Minnan-Wong
Ward 34

DOMIN8R
09-18-2009, 02:11 PM
I just signed the online petition and sent an email to Councillor Filion from my ward. This guy may not be a support because he isn't exactly a fan of the Mayor..

Remind him/her that this has nothing to do with the Mayor.

This has everything to do with increased use/access for rate payers to soccer facilities all year round. It has everything to do with increased economic development opportunities for Toronto. It has everything to do with putting Toronto on the world soccer map when we have world class professional facilities. This has to do with a public private partnership where Toronto reaps enormous benefits without having to spend a penny of taxpayers money.

Don't get me started.;)

MTomas
09-19-2009, 07:17 PM
E-mail sent to my councillor today. Will await for response.

Frank Di Giorgio
http://www.toronto.ca/councillors/photos/fdigiorgio.jpg Ward 12

DOMIN8R
09-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Public turfed from BMO

Finally, grass for TFC, and a decent deal for the city. But is it good enough?

http://www.torontosun.com/comment/columnists/rob_granatstein/2009/09/20/11005716-sun.html

Phil
09-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Bump.

I hope the ward 34 guy calls me today :D

Phil
09-22-2009, 01:39 PM
So still waiting for http://www.toronto.ca/councillors/photos/dminnan-wong.jpg to call me back.

Oh yeah, shameless bump.

DOMIN8R
09-22-2009, 01:49 PM
I have made several enquiries to determine whether those "in the know" believe that the vote will pass next week. In other words are there sufficient votes in favour of the proposal? I am still waiting for replies.

When I know more I will post here.

Please

continue

to

bump!

Phil
09-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Well, Denzil just called me.

He likes the idea of grass at BMO but is not commiting 100% for it. He is concerned that MLSE may take too much of a hold on the stadium thus pushing the city out of revenue generation.

I pointed out some things in the agreement, and he claims to be open to voting for it. My gut tells me he is undecided and hasn't reviewed all the info and gave me fence sitting answer.

I hope when it comes time for the vote I see his name as for it.

DOMIN8R
09-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Fantastic. Good work trying to convince him. This is the kind of effort that more of us need to make.

Wagner
09-22-2009, 02:45 PM
So what do I need to do?
I'm pretty sure my Councillor is on board.
Am I simply reminding him that I want it?
or am I asking how he will vote?

Phil
09-22-2009, 02:49 PM
I went for the 'how will you vote' angle.

The obvious overtone was, as a soccer supporter in Toronto I think this will raise the level of sporting awareness in the city, benefit the taxpayer, get people more intrested in the sport and help with any Pan Am bids.

Those points were ones that he did respond well to.

Whoop
09-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Have e-mailed Councillor Moscoe to see where he stands on the vote.

Wagner
09-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks Phil.
I'll give my Councillor a shout taking a similar angle.

Oldtimer
09-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Grass will be missing one vote at the next council meeting:

Mayor David Miller is jetting off to Los Angeles next week to attend a climate change conference being co-hosted by California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.
It will mark the first time since becoming mayor in 2003 that Miller has missed a city council meeting. One is scheduled for Sept. 30 and Oct. 1.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/700153

Keep writing your councillor everyone!

andyc
09-25-2009, 09:07 PM
I finally received a response from my councilor - or at least his assistant... I responded right away.

"Thanks for your response. I understand the the Exhibition Place board have already approved this proposal and it will come before Toronto City Council on September 30th.

In order to have the field replaced and the construction completed at Lamport Stadium in time for next season, this decision has a critical timeline. I am very keen to ensure that Councillor Shiner is aware of this issue and understands the benefits to the community in advance of the meeting next week.

Thanks again for your attention to this matter,

Andy

Sent: Friday, September 25, 2009 2:26:46 PM
Subject: Re: Grass pitch for BMO Field

Dear Mr. Cook,

Thank you for your e-mail with regard to installing grass at the BMO Field.

Your e-mail has been forwarded to Ms. Dianne Young, CEO, Exhibition Place for her comments on this proposal.

In the meantime, if you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to get in touch with this office.

Best Regards,

Rita Hebert for
Councillor David Shiner
Ward 24 - Willowdale
416-395-6413

skypilot69
09-25-2009, 09:52 PM
[quote=DOMIN8R;724854]Remind him/her that this has nothing to do with the Mayor.

This has everything to do with increased use/access for rate payers to soccer facilities all year round. It has everything to do with increased economic development opportunities for Toronto. It has everything to do with putting Toronto on the world soccer map when we have world class professional facilities. This has to do with a public private partnership where Toronto reaps enormous benefits without having to spend a penny of taxpayers money.

Well said DOMIN8R!

Whether you love David Miller or think he's a Douchbag (like I do!!!) it is not about him

I signed the petition and emailed my councellor as well. Can someone let me know if we ("all torontonians") can attend the meeting on Sep 30th to show our support?

SP69:scarf:

ballerz
09-26-2009, 12:06 AM
I finally received a response from my councilor - or at least his assistant... I responded right away.

"Thanks for your response. I understand the the Exhibition Place board have already approved this proposal and it will come before Toronto City Council on September 30th.

In order to have the field replaced and the construction completed at Lamport Stadium in time for next season, this decision has a critical timeline. I am very keen to ensure that Councillor Shiner is aware of this issue and understands the benefits to the community in advance of the meeting next week.

Thanks again for your attention to this matter,

Andy

Sent: Friday, September 25, 2009 2:26:46 PM
Subject: Re: Grass pitch for BMO Field

Dear Mr. Cook,

Thank you for your e-mail with regard to installing grass at the BMO Field.

Your e-mail has been forwarded to Ms. Dianne Young, CEO, Exhibition Place for her comments on this proposal.

In the meantime, if you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to get in touch with this office.

Best Regards,

Rita Hebert for
Councillor David Shiner
Ward 24 - Willowdale
416-395-6413

I have emailed David Shiner as he is my councillor as well. To be honest, installing grass at BMO is not a contentious issue as the City of Toronto is not asked to put a single penny into the project. The council usually defer such judgement directly to its agency (Exhibition Place in this case) and will rubber stamp this into action when the council sits. I don't think councillors will vote against Miller on a non-contentious issue just for the sake of defeating his plans. Councillors are not elementary school kids in most cases.

andyc
09-26-2009, 10:19 AM
I have emailed David Shiner as he is my councillor as well. To be honest, installing grass at BMO is not a contentious issue as the City of Toronto is not asked to put a single penny into the project. The council usually defer such judgement directly to its agency (Exhibition Place in this case) and will rubber stamp this into action when the council sits. I don't think councillors will vote against Miller on a non-contentious issue just for the sake of defeating his plans. Councillors are not elementary school kids in most cases.

I certainly hope so... My big concern is that the decision gets deferred for some reason which will kill the chances for grass next year...

Section 110
09-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Hi Guys,

I just emailed Joe Pantalone, Trinity-Spadina. I attach the email I sent for anyone to read, but I will also post any reply I get. Fingers crossed!

Dear Councilor Pantalone,

As I'm sure you are aware, the push for real grass at BMO field is reaching a head as we approach Sept 30. As a fan of Toronto FC, but more so the sport of soccer/football, it is my duty to reinforce the absolute necessity of bringing in real grass. The reasons for this to happen are numerous, but here are the most important:

Our players are more likely to get injured playing on field turf. This is proven, and when I say "our players" I not only mean Toronto FC, but the national teams, and amateur teams alike.

This segues nicely into the fact that our national teams do not like to play at our "national" stadium because of the field turf.

Another reason is that the field turf is wearing out quickly. I can say that with first hand knowledge having played at BMO Field on several occasions.

Finally, it has to do with civic pride. Sky Dome/Rogers Centre has long been a place athletes do not like to play because of the field turf. This is equally true of BMO Field. It is not true that our home teams gain an advantage through this, rather, it puts our players - both professional and amateur - at greater risk.

Montreal's team the Impact, plays on real grass. Toronto must follow suit to be taken seriously from a sporting perspective. The money is in place to make this happen; if Toronto is a great city, and on the verge of becoming a world class city, this is one way to see to it that we are recognized as such.

BAKES
09-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Thought this thread was about weed.

Auzzy
09-26-2009, 11:18 PM
I spoke again with my councillor, Joe Mihevc, now that the full MLSE BMO grass proposal is public. He said he feels it's a good plan, and should pass council easily.

That being said, it's still important for others to contact their councillors. After Miller's announcement that he is not running again, the 2010 election has unofficially started. Some councillors may decide to vote against the proposal, simply to differentiate themselves from Miller. That's especially the case if they don't take the time to study the grass replacement plan, or if they're possibly hearing from other groups that aren't even happy with the latest proposal.

I don't know if there's any real risk of the above, but I just think it's important to cross those i's & dot those t's :wink: -- making sure councillors are well informed, so the proposal passes smoothly, with strong council support, and without delay.

Toronto Gunner
09-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Don't forget to sign this petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/petition-sign.cgi?TFCBMO

DOMIN8R
09-28-2009, 03:52 PM
My understanding is that over 80 pieces of communication have been received by City Councillors over the past few weeks. That, in case you’re wondering, is bloody impressive. Another 417 + signed an online petition.

If there was any doubt, we can now say that soccer enthusiasts are a political force in this city.

This Wednesday will mark the last day that we will be able to substantially influence the decision to make grass a reality at BMO for next season.

If you have not asked your City Councillor how they intend to vote, I urge you to do so now.

Following the vote this week and barring any unforeseen challenges the final steps, as I understand them, will be to get provincial and federal approval for the proposal.

James Oliphant
09-28-2009, 03:55 PM
:cheers:

Keep it rolling, folks. Remember...the ball is round, anything can happen.

DOMIN8R
09-28-2009, 04:36 PM
http://images.google.ca/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.downstreammedia.net/TheRangeLife/RandomImages/DalaiMatthewsKnucklesCrop.jpg&usg=AFQjCNF9UN6iejl6SDQgRF6oIMbcdjxaPg

Phil
09-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Its really important that we contact councillors and sign the online petition in order to make this a reality. It doesn't take much time or effort to make your voice heard.

DOMIN8R
09-29-2009, 07:41 AM
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//2009/05/05/5462f1358b1a0a0f8bec72867f1de1b140ef_1Bumps_title_ mock_2a_540x405.jpg

billyfly
09-29-2009, 08:51 AM
444 Sigs (isn't that badluck in Chinese?)

Wagner
09-29-2009, 08:56 AM
445 now.
isn't that good luck??

DOMIN8R
09-29-2009, 10:35 AM
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/grettahansing/bumping.jpg

billyfly
09-29-2009, 11:10 AM
445 now.
isn't that good luck??

I think 4's are bad. It's the same symbol as death or something.

Phil
09-29-2009, 11:13 AM
I like grass, I like football.

Lets make this happen! FFS, contact your rep, sign the petition.

DOMIN8R
09-29-2009, 04:05 PM
.....to influence City Council.

This Wednesday will mark the last day that we will be able to substantially influence the decision to make grass a reality at BMO for next season.

If you have not asked your City Councillor how they intend to vote, I urge you to do so now.

DOMIN8R
09-29-2009, 06:26 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ChTVZMEFRwY/ShoQJxbuYGI/AAAAAAAABVE/iA-Kals0k3c/s400/BumpIt.gif

Let cards fall where they may.

billyfly
09-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Grass at BMO Field expected to get city approval

Mayor Miller calls plan 'the right thing to do'

http://www.thestar.com/mls/torontofc/article/702852

ensco
09-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Domin8r, don't stop....maybe switch to bump and grind now?

DOMIN8R
09-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Grass at BMO Field expected to get city approval

Mayor Miller calls plan 'the right thing to do'

http://www.thestar.com/mls/torontofc/article/702852

Nice find, Billy.

billyfly
09-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Sneaky TorStar put up the article after 6pm. It will make Denime's news tomorrow prob.

DOMIN8R
09-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Domin8r, don't stop....maybe switch to bump and grind now?

I knew that someone might come to appreciate my creative bumping.

Thanks for noticing, Ensco. You know it will be missed once it's gone.

billyfly
09-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Today is the BIG day!

akoto
09-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Does it seem like there are a lot of people missing from the council meeting?

akoto
09-30-2009, 09:04 AM
I was wrong. Only 5 missing. One being Miller.

Don Julio
09-30-2009, 09:05 AM
omg omg omg

deltox
09-30-2009, 09:10 AM
can i follow this meeting in any way?

The Professor
09-30-2009, 09:10 AM
I was wrong. Only 5 missing. One being Miller.

We knew Miller was going to be missing from this meeting last week.

akoto
09-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Yeah I know that.

It's on Rogers community channel. 63 here in Scarborough

Fort York Redcoat
09-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Updates anyone?

deltox
09-30-2009, 09:17 AM
click here

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmismonitor/getMeetingMonitorPrep.do?decisionBodyId=2&meetingType=Council&date=Wed%20Sep%2030%202009%2010:12:55%20GMT-0400%20(Eastern%20Daylight%20Time)

akoto
over 400 signature petition submitted in support of grass at BMO

Del Boy
http://www.rogerstv.com/option.asp?lid=237&rid=16&mid=52&fid=13975

billyfly
09-30-2009, 09:20 AM
Snadra Bussin is a tool. You should have heard her today on CFRB.

James Oliphant
09-30-2009, 09:21 AM
It's pretty late on the agenda...one of the very last things they'll do today.

Here's how it reads in council-speak:

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmismonitor/previewAgendaItem.do?meetingType=Council&agendaItemId=18173

Wagner
09-30-2009, 09:21 AM
what did she say?

The Professor
09-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Yeah I know that.

I was just hoping to prevent the inevitable "f*n Miller, can't even show up to the council meeting" posts.

Belfast_Boy
09-30-2009, 09:24 AM

what did she say? she's in my ward. said she'd support grass.

billyfly
09-30-2009, 09:24 AM
what did she say?

She went on the morning show and went on and on about how great Miller is.

She wouldn't identify herself as a councillor but finally did and claimed she "didn't work" for the City.

Well Sandra, who do you work for?

billyfly
09-30-2009, 09:26 AM
What did they just vote on?

stugautz

She wouldn't identify herself as a councillor but finally did and claimed she "didn't work" for the City.

The taxpayers :)

Belfast_Boy

that's ok, just as long as she votes for grass.

billyfly
09-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Zzzzzzzzz

Krasno.pL.
09-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Man these guys jobs must be great.

deltox
09-30-2009, 09:30 AM
the BMO thing is item # CC40.8

loconet
09-30-2009, 09:33 AM
What does it mean when they "hold" stuff?

deltox
09-30-2009, 09:35 AM
i think it means they are gonna deal with it later

SteeltownBhoy
09-30-2009, 09:36 AM
I think the word we are looking for is ADOPTED, since it is a recomendation from the EX BOARD.

akoto
09-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Sandra Bussin is a bit of a douche. I've spoken with her a few times as I used to live in her Ward.

billyfly
09-30-2009, 09:39 AM
This is an all-star team of idiots. Palacio is a moron as well.

akoto
09-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Anyone ask Brian Ashton how he was going to vote?

Krasno.pL.
09-30-2009, 09:43 AM
There It Is

deltox
they are holding it?

Oldtimer
held

SteeltownBhoy
09-30-2009, 09:44 AM
ok we got OTHER!!!!

deltox
what does hold mean?

akoto
crap. Hold

WHITEY
09-30-2009, 09:46 AM
What's this "hold" mean?

akoto
09-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Why would she do that?

billyfly
So no vote today??

loconet
Where are you guys seeing it is being held?

James Oliphant
Not necessarily, billyfly. May come this afternoon.

"Held - During a meeting, an item with a "held" status indicates that the committee or community council has held the item to consider and debate at a later time during the meeting."

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/help/helpctte.htm

billyfly
09-30-2009, 09:48 AM
This aft?! I'll fall asleep by then!

WHITEY
09-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Not necessarily, billyfly. May come this afternoon.

"Held - During a meeting, an item with a "held" status indicates that the committee or community council has held the item to consider and debate at a later time during the meeting."

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/help/helpctte.htm

Thanks James!

SteeltownBhoy
09-30-2009, 09:49 AM
I dont see held, I see OTHER!!!!

deltox
09-30-2009, 09:50 AM
im listening/watching it on rogers tv online.

i also have the meeting monitor app up and running

SteeltownBhoy
09-30-2009, 09:52 AM
I knew some Left wing loon would want to have a debate about how this would effect the union trash pickers at BMO!!!

deltox
09-30-2009, 09:54 AM
its boring....but its pretty eye opening if you have never seen how local government works

loconet
09-30-2009, 09:57 AM
its boring....but its pretty eye opening if you have never seen how local government works

yup!

looks like they're going to have the first debate now.

tfcmanu
09-30-2009, 10:02 AM
You can check this link:

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmismonitor/index.do

boomcha
09-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Councillor Janet Davis will be voting for the grass. Just got an email update on that.

SteeltownBhoy
09-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Anybody know where CC40.8 is in terms of the debate agenda???

tupalev
09-30-2009, 10:29 AM
From Twitter - it may be late today or tomorrow:

(http://twitter.com/callitfootball)callitfootball (http://twitter.com/callitfootball) Councillor Hall holds BMO renovation plan up for debate - city clerk suggests to me that it will now be addressed late today or tomorrow

SteeltownBhoy
09-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Who the F*ck is Councillor Hall????

sarsippius
09-30-2009, 10:34 AM
E-mailed Counciller Sandra Bussin, Beaches East-York.

Oldtimer
09-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Who the F*ck is Councillor Hall????

http://www.suzanhall.com/

BTW, she is on the board of the Ex, so she is "yes" for grass.

deltox
09-30-2009, 10:39 AM
it might be that they want to hold it until more councillers turn up or something

TFC07
09-30-2009, 10:39 AM
This doesn't look good. :(

SteeltownBhoy
09-30-2009, 10:40 AM
ETOBIKOKE NORTH WTF!!!

Why does this affect her district/ riding whatwever you call it??

deltox
09-30-2009, 10:41 AM
well our motion is just on hold until later today or tomorrow.... it still has the same strength

deltox
09-30-2009, 10:41 AM
its not a ward thing.....she can be on commitees

nimamalek
09-30-2009, 10:42 AM
This doesn't look good. :(

dont be a Debby Downer, its just up for discussion, so they can say yah we discussed it and everything is perfect...I hope...

mmmikey
09-30-2009, 10:47 AM
this might reflect a councilor recognizing some key votes in support of it were missing, so they delayed it til later in the day when they knew they would be present?

akoto
09-30-2009, 10:48 AM
lets hope mmmikey.

deltox
09-30-2009, 10:50 AM
its a normal thing

SteeltownBhoy
09-30-2009, 10:54 AM
There was one councillor on the EX Board that voted against the recomendation.
Does anyone know if it was Councillor Hall????

Ageroo
09-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Anybody know where CC40.8 is in terms of the debate agenda???

After CC40.7 ;)

Really no clue......

Oldtimer
09-30-2009, 11:01 AM
There was one councillor on the EX Board that voted against the recomendation.
Does anyone know if it was Councillor Hall????

It was the union rep, not a councillor.

SteeltownBhoy
09-30-2009, 11:05 AM
It was the union rep, not a councillor.

Thanks for that.:)

loconet
09-30-2009, 11:31 AM
wow, they don't dick around with their recesses. 12:30 on the dot!

deltox
09-30-2009, 11:31 AM
council will resume at 2pm

akoto
09-30-2009, 11:32 AM
wow. 3hrs of work now an hour and a half lunch break. sweet gig.

deltox
09-30-2009, 01:02 PM
council session is resuming

Oldtimer
09-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Grass!!!

Carried unanimously.

TFC115
09-30-2009, 01:22 PM
did we just get approved?

TFC115
09-30-2009, 01:23 PM
yes!!!!!!!

TheRenter
^wha?

akoto
Was that vote just to release it or to approve the recommendation?

TheRenter
glorius!

Phil
This just made my year if its through!

Oldtimer
09-30-2009, 01:24 PM
I think the vote was for the motion, now that the release was given.

deltox
09-30-2009, 01:27 PM
so..... they voted for putting the grass at BMO?

tupalev
09-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Twitter:

(http://twitter.com/callitfootball)callitfootball (http://twitter.com/callitfootball) adopted

(http://twitter.com/callitfootball)callitfootball (http://twitter.com/callitfootball) 25 for 13 against

flambe
09-30-2009, 01:28 PM
The grass has been adopted, this means:

An item with an “adopted” status indicates that the committee has agreed to the item without amending it. Since City Council must approve “non-delegated” items, the monitor will list the scheduled “City Council Consideration Date” for further consideration and approval of those items. “Delegated” items require no further approval.

Phil
09-30-2009, 01:29 PM
nvm - wrong vote - it was unanimous
1 minute ago from mobile web

Keystone FC
09-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mmmikey
09-30-2009, 01:30 PM
why do i get the feeling half of rpb is outside right now hugging their lawns with tears of joy.

Oldtimer
09-30-2009, 01:31 PM
No discussion, no controversy.
Just approval.

Paul/MLSE did their homework.

Suds
09-30-2009, 01:32 PM
get your Zig-Zags out everyone ... we got GRASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stugautz
09-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Are there any steps after this? Or are we ready to break ground on the field as soon as TFC's year is done?

Phil
09-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Unanimous vote...29-0!!!
:flare::flare::flare::flare:

Just from the news thread....

Bluenose13
09-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Are there any steps after this? Or are we ready to break ground on the field as soon as TFC's year is done?BMO....Has been booked solid by leagues & training academys. They will need to get busy with Lamport so everyone can easily be moved.

mmmikey
09-30-2009, 01:40 PM
BMO....Has been booked solid by leagues & training academys. They will need to get busy with Lamport so everyone can easily be moved.

someone recently linked to a notice that was sent out by organizers about the potential for disruption of the schedule for a few weeks if this passed. sounds to me like the renovations will be prioritized over at least some of the existing commitments.

Flipityflu
09-30-2009, 01:40 PM
well done to everybody who was apart of this.

loconet
09-30-2009, 01:41 PM
:flare::flare::flare::flare:

CC40.8 (http://app.toronto.ca/tmmismonitor/getCouncilMeetingMonitor.do#)

Upgrades to BMO Field at Exhibition Place and Allan Lamport Stadium (Ward 6, 14, 19) URGENT Adopted

tupalev
09-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Excellent!

Thanks for the vote correction as well ...

akoto
09-30-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm very glad I've spent most of my day watching City Council on TV. Historic day.

billyfly
09-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Now for the Feds and Province! (did I just kill the buzz?)

SteeltownBhoy
09-30-2009, 01:47 PM
cc40.8.....let There Be Grass!!!!!!

thank You Maurice Edu ( You Paid For It)

TheRenter
09-30-2009, 01:49 PM
^^is that 2morrow billy?

Wagner
09-30-2009, 01:51 PM
I really didn't think this would happen.
But i'm glad that it has.

Where's ExiledRed???

So are my Toronto Social Club Games at Lamport Cancelled now???

James Oliphant
09-30-2009, 01:51 PM
That's what they're hoping, TheRenter. And it shouldn't be an issue now that Council has given the thumbs-up.

Miko
09-30-2009, 01:52 PM
It says adopted on the City Council site - passed it is!

GRASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

billyfly
^^is that 2morrow billy?

Not sure. Domin8er knows.

billyfly
I really didn't think this would happen.
But i'm glad that it has.

Where's ExiledRed???

So are my Toronto Social Club Games at Lamport Cancelled now???

Ian never thought this would happen.

boomcha
09-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Who were the councillors that voted against? Is there a record of this somewhere?

Phil
09-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Who were the councillors that voted against? Is there a record of this somewhere?

everyone voted for it - 29-0

deltox
09-30-2009, 01:55 PM
i think it was 29 - 0

flatpicker
09-30-2009, 02:01 PM
This is how I will be traveling to BMO from now on!

Surrounded by grass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://webjunk.info/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/grass-wheel.jpg

Oldtimer
09-30-2009, 02:11 PM
TFC needs to do a spot like RSL did when they moved into a grass stadium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oGpbLIE4z0

SteeltownBhoy
09-30-2009, 02:12 PM
U SECTOR HAD A GREAT IDEA.

At the 40.8 minute mark we should start singing " ALL WE ARE SAYING IS THANKS FOR THE GRASS!!!!! (Need a stopwatch)

deltox
09-30-2009, 02:14 PM
now we got to work on a cool view of the grass. i like the circle cut. dont do the boxes

DOMIN8R
09-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Please direct your posts here:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=17611

Mods, please unstick thread.

Thank you.