PDA

View Full Version : So much for Chris Rolfe

DangerRed
09-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Seems the Fire man is signing with Aalborg in Europe. Too bad, as some on here would've loved to see the guy wearing TFC kit.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/66/united-states/2009/09/02/1477082/exclusive-chicagos-rolfe-to-join-danish-club-aalborg

Shakes McQueen
09-02-2009, 04:43 PM
If he went to Aalborg, I doubt we had any chance at him anyway. Aalborg aren't a huge club, but they are a pretty decent one.

- Scott

rocker
09-02-2009, 05:21 PM
don't MLS teams still have rights on these guys at contract's end?
So to get Rolph we'd have to still deal something to Chicago... and given what happened with the Barrett negotiations, I doubt they'd do it to help us out.

Beach_Red
09-02-2009, 07:37 PM
^ So we would have had him for one season and he would have been looking ahead to next year in Europe the whole time.

Gotta raise the salary cap.

Shakes McQueen
09-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Damn it Mo you stunned cunt I told you to go after him preseason.
Fuck!

For all we know, he did inquire about him. Unless you have information that he didn't.

But Aalborg BK are a relatively successful football team, who have made several recent appearances in the UEFA CL and Cup - if Rolfe is going there, there's no way we had any chance at him.

And of course, all of this ignores the fact that I assume Chicago are still sore towards Mo for the McBride stuff last season.

- Scott

Ossington Mental Youth
09-02-2009, 08:40 PM
And of course, all of this ignores the fact that I assume Chicago are still sore towards Mo for the McBride stuff last season.

- Scott

yeah people ignore this fact, they seem to think that Chicago would be happy to give up whatever to us

Yohan
09-02-2009, 08:44 PM
yeah people ignore this fact, they seem to think that Chicago would be happy to give up whatever to us
you mean Chicago wouldn't trade Rolfe for Gabe Gala!

Those jerks!

fire Mo!

Super
09-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Wow, that's an interesting move - and this coming from the only Aalborg supporter on this board ;) Just saw the news in the local Aalborg newspaper as well. There's been a lot of pressure on management at Aalborg to sign a new, proven striker, and at least right now they seem to feel that he's the right man for the job. Will be interesting to follow him when he joins in the spring.

TFC07
09-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Chris Rolfe? No thanks. Toronto can do better.

S_D
09-02-2009, 09:48 PM
don't MLS teams still have rights on these guys at contract's end?
So to get Rolph we'd have to still deal something to Chicago... and given what happened with the Barrett negotiations, I doubt they'd do it to help us out.

I read somewhere that they do as long as they offer the guy a contract. From what I see in the article they were negotiating so obviously a contract was offered and turned down and they tried to work out a deal. I think they keep his rights for 2 years. If he comes back after the 2, he will be a returning MLS player so will be subject to allocation order.

What I find interesting:

In early July, according to a source with knowledge of the deal, AaB offered to purchase Rolfe during the summer transfer window. The league turned down the offer.

And now they get nothing since it is on free in January.

Super
09-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Just went on the Aalborg supporters web site (similar to this one in size) and people are quite happy about the signing. http://www.debatside.dk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12697 They do, however, find he's a little light on goals in his record, but feel that the improved competition and training will lift him as a player. Also, they are very pleased with the free transfer - even though the club is loaded after last years Champions League participation.

Stryker
09-02-2009, 10:59 PM
I know I suggested we try to trade Ricketts for Rolfe back in preseason.
Only a few people were for the idea. Most thought I was nuts.
Guess time has proven me sane.

joel
09-02-2009, 11:48 PM

Not really, sane would be realizing that Chicago would never have traded ricketts for rolfe.

I doubt people opposed his quality, rather the likelihood that chicago would trade him for ricketts. Rolfe was coming off a 9 goal, 7 assist season. Ricketts 4G/4A and not nearly the same consistency.

Come on.

Keystone FC
09-03-2009, 02:43 AM
Even my local paper picked up the story...WHOO HOO!
http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/high-school-sports/fairmont/fairmont-grad-former-ud-star-to-play-pro-soccer-in-denmark-278651.html

I'm sure most people reading the story are like: Chicago Fire? Soccer? Where is Denmark?

Love the quote from his dad though:
“With the current airfares, I think I would almost just as soon fly to Denmark.”
Cause driving would take too long. ;)

Shakes McQueen
09-03-2009, 08:56 AM

I don't think people "thought you were nuts" for wanting Rolfe. I assume most people "thought you were nuts" for thinking Chicago would give us a player like Rolfe, for Rohan Ricketts - a guy who notably hasn't been trialled with any MLS club since being bought out by TFC.

- Scott

Brooker
09-03-2009, 09:19 AM
right or wrong, just let him pat himself on the back. :thumbsup:

Stryker
09-03-2009, 10:17 AM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=8884&highlight=rolfe

Why would that be so hard to fathem? Rolfe was a bench player to start the season and he wasen't happy with the situation. He would have been wildly popular in Toronto. I should hope he would have more goals than Ricketts, he plays a forward role.

Shakes the reason Rohann never trialed with another MLS club is because he, like so many other people, was completely fed up with MLS's half assed way of going about pretty much everything.

Brooker thats very clever, you must have been the smartest kid on the short bus in your whole school. Awesome job bud.

Beach_Red
09-03-2009, 10:26 AM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=8884&highlight=rolfe

Why would that be so hard to fathem? Rolfe was a bench player to start the season and he wasen't happy with the situation. He would have been wildly popular in Toronto. I should hope he would have more goals than Ricketts, he plays a forward role.

Shakes the reason Rohann never trialed with another MLS club is because he, like so many other people, was completely fed up with MLS's half assed way of going about pretty much everything.

Rolfe probably was, too, and wasn't interested in other MLS clubs. Certainly his agent had been having talks with Euro clubs and certainly Mo knew that.

Shakes McQueen
09-03-2009, 11:12 AM

It would be hard to fathom because a) starting on the bench or not, he's a better player than Ricketts (an assertion borne out by his move to Aalborg), which is why he was so unhappy; b) Chicago would be in no mood to deal with Mo, after what happened last season.

Rohan currently can't get a job anywhere. If Chicago were interested in him, you can bet he'd be dealing with the MLS officiating. A paycheck is a paycheck, and Rohan got paid decently. I still think his statements about leaving the league, because of the league, are just him trying to save his pride. This isn't Freddie Ljungberg we are talking about - it's a guy who recently failed to impress in a trial at Aberdeen.

Chances are Mo did ask about Rolfe, assuming Chicago would even talk to him. But if he had stated his intention to go to Europe at the earliest opportunity, chances are Mo didn't bother. And I suspect that might have something to do with why Chicago hadn't utilized him too.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
09-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Rolfe probably was, too, and wasn't interested in other MLS clubs. Certainly his agent had been having talks with Euro clubs and certainly Mo knew that.

Precisely.

- Scott

Super
01-17-2010, 03:14 AM
And here he is in Aalborg jersey:

http://www.aabsport.dk/62A29E11-687C-46FE-A706-7A1C3E2ADCF0

Don't let me down, Chris. A lot of buddies back home who are not too sure about this "MLS import" ;)

And interview on AaB TV:
http://www.aabsport.tv/ (http://www.aabsport.tv/)

Marco2K
01-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Why would the fire be upset?

they dumped Barrett on us. They should be extatic!!

ag futbol
01-17-2010, 10:26 AM
This is the kid of mid-range player MLS should focus on keeping. It would go a long way to improving the quality of the league.

I know some guys want to try Europe, but i think with better conditions we'd be closer to keeping the Yura Movsisyan - Chris Rolfe types.

SoccMan
01-17-2010, 10:32 AM
It's too bad, this is the kind of thing I wish somehow could change in the MLS,however, I understand the economics of our league,but, MLS salaries need to be at the very least comparable to leagues like the Danish league. Every time a player leaves due to salary to leagues like the Danish league, it hurts the image of the MLS. When a player leaves to play in Germany, France,Italy, Spain or England that is not too bad on the league's image,however, when it's to leagues like Denmark then that hurts the league's image.

Super
01-17-2010, 02:52 PM
It's too bad, this is the kind of thing I wish somehow could change in the MLS,however, I understand the economics of our league,but, MLS salaries need to be at the very least comparable to leagues like the Danish league. Every time a player leaves due to salary to leagues like the Danish league, it hurts the image of the MLS. When a player leaves to play in Germany, France,Italy, Spain or England that is not too bad on the league's image,however, when it's to leagues like Denmark then that hurts the league's image.

Well, for one thing the Danish league sports not just higher salaries, but MUCH higher salaries. Try 3-4 times what our salary cap is allowing us to shell out to players. Travel times are next to nothing, and the lifestyle is fantastic. You live in an environment that puts football at the top - and not behind hockey, baseball, basketball and American football. And if you do well on your team you're likely to be sold quite easily to clubs in England, Spain, Italy, Germany, or Holland who have scouts watching every club in Denmark. It happens all the time for players who do well in Denmark. It's a great stepping stone. The MLS is not!

I honestly don't see how it hurts MLS' image to lose players to Denmark. Their league is far superior to ours. Yes, I know it's a small country and certainly it's not considered a big league by anyone overseas - but it still provides a lot more for players than our league does. When we raise the cap 3-4-fold we might be able to talk - but until that time comes we seriously can't compare ourselves to Denmark, or other leagues of their size.

jloome
01-17-2010, 03:18 PM
My understanding is the Fire offered Rolph a boost to about $250,000 per season and a chance to start upfront more regularly but that that was less than half of what Aalborg offered.

I'm not sure if it's temperament or the systems he's been in or what, but he's a better-than-MLS quality finisher, so he might step it up in Denmark and light it up a bit.

rocker
01-17-2010, 03:33 PM
I think chicago is gonna be dropping this year, with Blanco and Rolfe gone and a new coach having to figure out a new system.

SilverSamurai
01-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Good for him.
Salary aside (although it's nice to get paid more to do the same thing in essence) I can't blame the guy at all for going.
Hell I'd LOOOVE to be able to live/work in Europe but unless I marry a girly w/ EU citizenship looks like its going to be nothing more than a dream, until I retire in which case, maybe I'll go to Spain during our winters...

deschamp86
01-17-2010, 04:03 PM
you mean Chicago wouldn't trade Rolfe for Gabe Gala!

Those jerks!

fire Mo!

Chicago is crazy. Gala sniped against Real Madrid!