PDA

View Full Version : Question for Paul..."The Inside Man"

Shway
09-01-2009, 04:09 PM
This is something really small, however i have grown irritant of the cookie-cutter TFC website.
I think its about time we get a new, personal, custom website. If DC, Seattle, Philadelphia, Colorado, New England have it
Toronto FC should to, your the man to make it happen.
:scarf:

Batman
09-01-2009, 04:11 PM
This is something really small, however i have grown irritant of the cookie-cutter TFC website.
I think its about time we get a new, personal, custom website. If DC, Seattle, Philadelphia, Colorado, New England have it

I think if you include the tfc tv portion (although it has glitches) it's a world better than other mls team sites and even the primary mls site. I really don't have a complaint here.

I want this team to win games and make the playoffs. All the rest is not too important.

mlsintoronto
09-01-2009, 04:15 PM

two things...

I agree their websites are better, but I don't think they are that much better. But they feel better because they are freakin' different. We get that too. We're more concerned today with getting our resources and content right. The reason we're content to sit on the current format is that the league is working on a more concise and over-arching approach to new media. Once they firm up what their approach will be, that will have a big impact on how we move forward. So any investment right now (beyond what you see) could be throwing money out the window (something our friends in DC, New England seem to be ok with !)

but I hear you - its just boring. need to switch up even the layout from time to time just so it feels fresh. Its coming - and soon I hope - but I'm unable to give you a timeline.

mlsintoronto
09-01-2009, 04:16 PM
I think if you include the tfc tv portion (although it has glitches) it's a world better than other mls team sites and even the primary mls site. I really don't have a complaint here.

I want this team to win games and make the playoffs. All the rest is not too important.

Glad you appreciate the effort. thats what I was referring to with "getting the resources and content right".

Super
09-01-2009, 04:23 PM
I agree with Batman. The web site is okay, but the multimedia section is second to none in this league. Between what we get online and GolTV we're MILES ahead of all other clubs.

Shway
09-01-2009, 04:44 PM
I agree with Batman. The web site is okay, but the multimedia section is second to none in this league. Between what we get online and GolTV we're MILES ahead of all other clubs.

the website is not okay, lets be honest.
yes I 100% agree about GolTV and the coverage
but the multimedia could be compared, to clubs like Seattle and D.C.

Shakes McQueen
09-01-2009, 05:01 PM
The media Seattle puts out for their fans, doesn't hold a candle to our team. Our team basically owns an entire TV channel that they fill with TFC content, in addition to TFC TV.

- Scott

Hitcho
09-01-2009, 05:04 PM
I really like what we get on the TFC site. Agree it could look better or have a different layout, but like the OP said, this is a "small" thing. If change is coming in good time, so be it. In the interim I'd just like to see the content stay at a good level.

I'd trade the whole damn site for a play off spot though to be honest!

Pookie
09-01-2009, 05:29 PM
I don't mind the website but I do have a question about the "Shop" section.

Why is it that Official TFC site shop seemingly has less merchandise/options than other sites (eg Adidas, Setantasoccershop, etc)?

For example, the TFC site has jerseys. 2 of which are from 2009 and neither can be customized and no long sleeve option. I was able to get a customized 2009 TFC jersey but had to go to another site to get one.

There are 29 options under "Mens" on the Adidas site. There are 16 on the TFC site.

In shopping for my wife, there are 0 women's options available. Yet the Adidas site has a women's jacket, jersey and 2 T's. That same site has things like backpacks and other items that are not on the Official shop.

You'd think that since you are the license holder, you would have the most variety.

The other thing I don't get is that items sold at BMO, don't seem to be available on-line (eg. car flags, flags, player Ts, hats, etc).

How come?

mlsintoronto
09-01-2009, 06:04 PM
a major thorn in my side...the league team store is a shambles. We've given up on trying to improve things. You've just reminded me how unacceptable it is.

I'm going to make another (!) call about it tomorrow.

We kind of do our own thing on merch based on what is available in canada and what we think will sell...

DOMIN8R
09-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Don't get me started on that one. My fam buys an embarassing amount of merch annually. The first year we bought some from the MLS shop online. Holly ****! It took over 6 weeks to arrive - nevermind the headaches. The best is ShopAddidas.ca for TFC merch. Nothing else comes close. I am now a very loyal customer of theirs.

Pookie
09-01-2009, 07:16 PM
a major thorn in my side...the league team store is a shambles. We've given up on trying to improve things. You've just reminded me how unacceptable it is.

We kind of do our own thing on merch based on what is available in canada and what we think will sell...

Is there any licensing restriction that prevents you from offering merchandise you have available at BMO, online?

Simple thing but highlights the frustration. My son has... or had... a youth TFC cap. We got it at the game. He lost it around the 17th or 18th of August and saved up his allowance to get another one. I'm in Barrie so dropping into Centresports isn't that convenient so I will likely have to wait until the next home game to get him one.

It sure would be easy to order the thing online.

mlsintoronto
09-01-2009, 07:35 PM
technically we cant do that but send me an email and the descrption of the item and a credit card and we can just send it out.

Shakes McQueen
09-01-2009, 07:44 PM
While you're at it Pookie, give me your credit card number too.

- Scott

Oldtimer
09-01-2009, 08:03 PM
So any investment right now (beyond what you see) could be throwing money out the window (something our friends in DC, New England seem to be ok with !)

Now Paul, the last thing we would ever accuse ML$E of is throwing money out the window. :lol:

James Oliphant
09-01-2009, 09:56 PM
I agree with Batman. The web site is okay, but the multimedia section is second to none in this league. Between what we get online and GolTV we're KILOMETERS ahead of all other clubs.

Fixed.

Blizzard
09-01-2009, 10:12 PM
The media Seattle puts out for their fans, doesn't hold a candle to our team. Our team basically owns an entire TV channel that they fill with TFC content, in addition to TFC TV.

- Scott

Sort of true. Most of the TFC TV content is shot specifically for TFC TV by TFC's videographer/editor.

Gol supplies some items to TFC TV but it is a relatively small percentage of the overall content.

James Oliphant
09-01-2009, 10:33 PM
technically we cant do that but send me an email and the descrption of the item and a credit card and we can just send it out.

We all dream of a team of nascarguys...

BuSaPuNk
09-01-2009, 11:36 PM

Hey Paul,

Has there ever been a thought of having your own seperate shop aside from the MLSNET online shop?

You can have all the items that you have in the kisoks in the concourse and have them shipped right from BMO. Sure the shipping costs that would be passed on to the customer would be alot less than shipping costs from the US plus the additional customs costs if applicable.

I know I manage an online commerce site and see the shipping costs for small to average size packages in and around Canada. Way cheaper to have it sent from here then the US.

Cashcleaner
09-02-2009, 12:25 AM
As an individual with prior experience in professional web development, I gotta concur that the site we have up at the monent is disappointing.

My observations and criticisms (in no particular order):

1. Splash Page

So let's say I'm Joe Soccerfan and I want to visit the site for some info on the team. I type in: www.torontofc.ca (http://www.torontofc.ca) and get....a splash page for Meritus U. Apparently, the Toronto FC website is brought to me by an online university. Now more recently its showing me that tickets are still available for the Celtic v Benfica match, but although it's a bit more relevant to the subject I'm interested in (Toronto FC soccer), it's still an obstacle for the user!

Everyone in basic web design knows the 3-click rule. Basically it should take a user no more than 3 clicks throughout a website to reach the specific information they want. It's called "navigational efficiency" and professional webmasters live and die by it. Splash Pages do nothing more than add one more click for the user and makes overall navigation less efficient.

2. Content Overload

Once a user is on the site's main page, they are instantly bombarded with information. On the main navigation bar toward the top there are no less than 14 menu buttons the user can select from. Each menu button drops down a small menu with a series of links for a total of 80 menu options!

On top of all that, you've got a small viewing area with 6 video clip, a news area with 6 news links, and several other segments like the Kid's Club, Blogs, In the Community, etc.

While it is important to give the user the information they want quickly, you also want to avoid placing too much in one spot as it can create confusion and can led to information being lost in plain sight.

3. Scrolling

Another rule of web design is that sites should be endeavour to have all the relevant data placed on a single page without the need for scrolling. Obviously in some instances its unavoidable or impractical, but just like the 3-click rule, it all boils down to the issue of navigational efficiency.

Those are the big 3 issues I see at the moment, Paul. I haven't really looked at the online shop, but I know it's format is out of your hands and is run by the league. The whole thing to web design is a bit of a balancing act. On one hand you need to make information as easily accessible to the user, but you have to make sure it's relevant and specific to the links and menu text.

And just 'cause I like you, I'll leave you with one more web design rule: Almost always, less is more.

mlsintoronto
09-02-2009, 05:26 AM
And just 'cause I like you, I'll leave you with one more web design rule: Almost always, less is more.

does the above rule apply to message board posts?

:rolleyes:

canadian_bhoy
09-02-2009, 07:03 AM

I don't understand why the league doesn't just out source the store to Kitbag or something like that.

On the topic of the website - once this MLS new media plan is up and running, will TFC be doing something like the leafs have with Leafs Space? You have talked about making fans feel more part of the club - I think Leafs Space goes a long way to helping with that....at least for the internet nerds :p )

Inswingingwingman
09-02-2009, 07:43 AM

Good one, ZAP!

Parkdale
09-02-2009, 08:08 AM
^ I think you mean 'zing'

C.Ronaldo
09-02-2009, 08:15 AM
^I think he means BURN!

Don Julio
09-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Just as a reference for when the time comes for a redesign, I absolutely love City's new site:

http://www.mcfc.co.uk (http://www.mcfc.co.uk/)

Fantastic content, customizable homepage, huge no-fuss video, no cluttery ads.

TFC Cityboy
09-02-2009, 08:41 AM
quality service! Nice :)

CoachGT
09-02-2009, 08:44 AM

But what would you have to pay a consultant for such sound advice?

deltox
09-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Paul, i know i brought this up to you before...1st yr maybe.

The Ex is right outside your door step. it has thousands of visitors every single day.

most of these people are not connected to TFC in anyway and do not come to games.

Why not have a TFC booth setup....or allow people to walk in and around the stadium at certain times. show them whats going on with the team.

there must be so much potential for merchandise sales and exposure that is not being cashed in on.

when i mentioned this to you before you said that there was no enough time before the CNA opened to organize something.

maybe before it opens in 2010, we can see merchandise booths around the outside if BMO.... maybe some Football themed event right outside the grounds.

Pigfynn
09-02-2009, 09:13 AM
^^Good idea!

Roogsy
09-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Have players there from time to time? Or those footy skill guys BMO uses?

Oblio2
09-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Paul, i know i brought this up to you before...1st yr maybe.

The Ex is right outside your door step. it has thousands of visitors every single day.

most of these people are not connected to TFC in anyway and do not come to games.

Why not have a TFC booth setup....or allow people to walk in and around the stadium at certain times. show them whats going on with the team.

there must be so much potential for merchandise sales and exposure that is not being cashed in on.

when i mentioned this to you before you said that there was no enough time before the CNA opened to organize something.

maybe before it opens in 2010, we can see merchandise booths around the outside if BMO.... maybe some Football themed event right outside the grounds.

I guess work isnt busy for you today :D

CoachGT
09-02-2009, 10:08 AM
What really irked me yesterday at the Ex (an I know it is not in TFC's control) is coming out of the Arts & Crafts building right outside of Gate 4. There was a guy set up selling pctures at one of the tents - hand drawings and photos of a bunch of stuff. Most were black and white. One colour picture in the middle of the wall facing me - and it was the Red Bulls logo, the logo picture that the league had put together for each of the teams! Right outside the stadium! You'd think that the vendor might have a clue!

joel
09-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Just as a reference for when the time comes for a redesign, I absolutely love City's new site:

http://www.mcfc.co.uk (http://www.mcfc.co.uk/)

Fantastic content, customizable homepage, huge no-fuss video, no cluttery ads.

Reminds me of dashboard designs, not bad.

prizby
09-02-2009, 10:25 AM
where is tim90 with his "paul can i have 7 tfc media guides" or something like that LOL

flambe
09-02-2009, 10:44 AM

Glad you appreciate the effort. thats what I was referring to with "getting the resources and content right".

I would hope that the new media/web team don't have much direct involvement in wether the team wins games and make the playoffs.

With regards to the site it's far too cluttered at the moment and the whole thing needs to be simplified. The MCFC site is very elegant and flowing, I like it a lot.

mlsintoronto
09-02-2009, 10:59 AM
gotta say I like it too.

London
09-02-2009, 11:01 AM
paul. how do we get red bull out of the concession stands???

prizby
09-02-2009, 11:07 AM

why would you want to do that?

stugautz
09-02-2009, 11:08 AM

Red bull is strictly a regular season entity. It has no place in the post season. So as long as we make the playoffs, there won't be any redbull :D

mlsintoronto
09-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Red bull is strictly a regular season entity. It has no place in the post season. So as long as we make the playoffs, there won't be any redbull :D

LOL -

they are a Toronto FC partner. they stay.

flatpicker
09-02-2009, 11:44 AM
...And just 'cause I like you, I'll leave you with one more web design rule: Almost always, less is more.

Good post Cash (though, I only quoted your last line for the sake of space).
I totally concur.
When I designed my website, I did 13 completely different layouts before I arrived at the one I ended up using.
As it turned out, it was the simplest, most basic design of them all.
The others were too muddled up with trying to be clever.
I've been using the same design for a while now.
It's easy to navigate, and I still get the occasional complement on it.
I learned a great deal about the web world during that project.

It sounds as though Paul is aware of all the issues, and I look forward to the eventual changes.
That said, I am a fan of the TFCTV.

Cashcleaner
09-02-2009, 12:32 PM

In a way, yes. For example, with message boards you want to avoid creating new threads if information can be posted in one already open.

prizby
09-02-2009, 03:15 PM
LOL -

they are a Toronto FC partner. they stay.

so even though they own another team, they are still a partner?

Roogsy
09-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Yep. It's happened with other sponsors as well. Some are partners of teams and the league. VW is a prime example, but there are others.

Oldtimer
09-02-2009, 03:29 PM
so even though they own another team, they are still a partner?

They pay, they're a "partner." That's how it works.

Pigfynn
09-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Are we "partners" then? :)

Shway
12-22-2009, 01:19 AM
NEW WEBSITE
(shit theres nothing else to talk about)

Everyone new to the league is having different website designs. SSFC, PU.
Even other clubs have different websites

Hitcho
12-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Yeah, this is probably a good time to start nudging the FO about this issue again.

I hate the carbon copy nature of the TFC website. It's time for an independent one that looks and feels better and makes better use of some of the great content TFC has.

I know Paul has mentioned in the past that the FO have an eye on this and are waiting for the right time. Any updates on that PB?

Cheers

Hitcho

rocker
12-22-2009, 11:49 AM
i read something awhile back about how MLS has a major online development coming early in 2010. They are leaving the hosting/design service of Major League Baseball and going alone. They even hired the guy that runs that quirky blog The Offside Rules.

TOBOR !
12-22-2009, 11:58 AM
this question never gets answered, but luckily I'll never get tired of asking it : when am I going to be able to spend TFC/MLSE gift cards at BMO field ?

It's not easy for me to get to CentreSports, and I have no need to use them online for tickets... and as far as I know I can't use them online for merch (somebody correct if otherwise).

My lovely wife (bless her) keeps buying these things for me, but they cause more grief than anything else because they're so damn hard to redeem. Not to mention that the TFC selection at the ACC is ess-aitch-eye-tea.

Pigfynn
12-22-2009, 12:02 PM
I will due my annual +1 to this post ^^

ecospice
12-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Not to mention that the TFC selection at the ACC is ess-aitch-eye-tea.

Oh, you mean shit. It took me a while to get that :picard:.
I disagree. I got almost all of my TFC stuff at the ACC: long and short sleeve jerseys, shorts, socks, touque, warm up suit, scarf and hat...the selection was pretty good. And I have my Hallowe'en costume set to go for the next few years, too.

TOBOR !
12-22-2009, 01:44 PM
^ I envy you. This has never been my experience, and since it's damn inconvenient for me to get there it's not as if I'm just going to drop by to see what's on the rack today.

Shway
12-22-2009, 02:21 PM
youu askk, and you shall recieve ....
my find searching:cool:

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq158/jgushway/tfcweb.jpg

Shway
12-22-2009, 02:22 PM
simple but class

TOBOR !
12-22-2009, 02:29 PM
^ what ?

Shway
12-22-2009, 03:02 PM
the sign of things to come my friend

TOBOR !
12-22-2009, 03:10 PM
you talk in riddles

AL-MO
12-22-2009, 03:12 PM
youu askk, and you shall recieve ....
my find searching:cool:

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq158/jgushway/tfcweb.jpg

This is an improvement?

Honestly I hardly go to the TFC website so I don't care all that much. The only thing I go there for is the TFC TV spots.

Pookie
12-22-2009, 03:55 PM
I am still hoping for a merchandise/shop upgrade. Seems like the quest to get gear is a function of searching a variety of sites, each with different offerings.

TFCtoMUFC
12-22-2009, 04:01 PM
We need to offer first year printing for first year shirts. It is going to run me a good amount of dough to get names on my first year shirts. Should've got a name when I could.

jaahuuu
12-22-2009, 04:19 PM
We need to offer first year printing for first year shirts. It is going to run me a good amount of dough to get names on my first year shirts. Should've got a name when I could.
Technically you could get the current font on the jersey and still be correct. In 2008 they used the same jersey as in 2007, and the same font as in 2009.