PDA

View Full Version : Robinson Probably Injured

grizzle
09-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Just saw this on his Twitter:

CarlRobinson33 (http://twitter.com/CarlRobinson33) - Rolled my ankle in training today. Sprained my ligaments!!! Gutted.23 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/CarlRobinson33/status/3692174047) from web

Not sure what the typical recovery time on that is, but I would suspect that its gonna be a few games at least if not the rest of the season.

Pigfynn
09-01-2009, 12:32 PM
hmmmmmmm.

that is all

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Just saw this on his Twitter:

CarlRobinson33 (http://twitter.com/CarlRobinson33) - Rolled my ankle in training today. Sprained my ligaments!!! Gutted.23 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/CarlRobinson33/status/3692174047) from web

Not sure what the typical recovery time on that is, but I would suspect that its gonna be a few games at least if not the rest of the season.

anywhere from 6-10 weeks! depending on how serious!.....he's gutted dosent sound good!

kNowing the heart of robbo......should be back sooner than that i'd think!

Darlofletch
09-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Not good at all. Sanyang's looked good so far, but we're going to need Robbo for the playoff push.

grizzle
09-01-2009, 12:45 PM
2-8 weeks according to the Score:

http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2009/09/01/24809.aspx

jloome
09-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Strained ankle ligaments, 4-6 weeks. Torn ankle ligaments 2-4 months.

Either way, not likely he'll be back this season unless it's a minor sprain.

(And maybe we can head any baseless conspiracy theory crap off at the pass right here.)

Lucky Strike
09-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Just read the article from the official site. It didn't sound nearly as ominous though.

TFC07
09-01-2009, 12:55 PM
The way Robbo has been playing this season, this isn't a big loss at all.

grizzle
09-01-2009, 01:02 PM

I have to agree with this.

Oldtimer
09-01-2009, 01:18 PM
He'll be back in time for when TFC is in the MLS Cup final.

Blazer
09-01-2009, 01:29 PM

Agreed. Massive heart and desire with nothing but the best of intentions for his team and supporters in mind, but we're better off without him in the midfield. Unfortunately we let our loyalty and love affair with original roster guys get in the way of our better sound and clear judgment. He just hasn’t played well all season and has truly shown why stepping down from his national team was the right decision.

That said, hope the recovery goes well and he’s back to finish out the season and hopefully his time as a Red.

jabbronies
09-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Agreed. Massive heart and desire with nothing but the best of intentions for his team and supporters in mind, but we're better off without him in the midfield. Unfortunately we let our loyalty and love affair with original roster guys get in the way of our better sound and clear judgment. He just hasn’t played well all season and has truly shown why stepping down from his national team was the right decision.

That said, hope the recovery goes well and he’s back to finish out the season and hopefully his time as a Red.

Really? One bad season in 3 years and he's better off leaving town??

Roogsy
09-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Stupid turf!

I hate playing on that stuff....I can only imagine what these guys playing on it weekly does to them.

(And yes, I know spraigns happen on grass as well...)

Manutd27
09-01-2009, 01:45 PM
That's not great news, we could use his experience going down the stretch. And Blazer I have to respectfully disagree with you hoping this is Robbo's last season, sure he may not have had the best season but he is still one of our most consistant players and can bring alot to the team.

Bombonera
09-01-2009, 01:59 PM
This business of continuously referring to his experince is growing tiresome.. We can still benefit from his experince on the bench. WHat we need are p[layers that actually look to where they are passing the ball thereby actually making a pass now and then.

Love his effort and he is clearly a bgreat guy who has done his best. But we need some productive enrgy out there. THe first 45 against Seattle was some of the best football we have played (Not DeRo's finest hour..but he will make up for it). And Sanyang was a big part of that.

Again, Great guy and by all accounts great team mate. But his career as a player has arguably gone on a bit too long

Super Cereal
09-01-2009, 02:12 PM
For the half-time show?

MUFC_Niagara
09-01-2009, 02:27 PM

Exactly....whats with the Robbo with hunt....he was our best player last year and has had an off year.

Blazer
09-01-2009, 02:28 PM

It’s the apparent game by game deterioration of his level of play throughout the course of three years that’s most alarming. Not necessarily just one season of play. And, ironically, his decision (or forced decision, who really knows) to step away from International play. I’m not convinced that Robbo is an idiot, he knows his contribution to that team was limited and only getting lesser and lesser impactful, perhaps the same could be said for his impact on this club, who knows?!

DangerRed
09-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Two things:

First, below is the pertinent part of the Robinson story from Toronto FC's web site. Read it.

Second, pardon the en masse personal attack, but anyone who thinks TFC is better off with Robinson off the squad and out of town is a through and through moron. If you really think that, you have no idea who the leaders of this team really are and how lost it would be without them.

FROM TORONTO FC:

Toronto FC midfielder Carl Robinson hopes to be fit for Saturday's match at Colorado Rapids despite leaving training on Tuesday with an ankle injury. The former Wales international midfielder missed Saturday's tie at Seattle through suspension and is now a doubt for the trip to Denver.

"I just rolled my ankle and it is quite swollen, so I will just stay off it to try and keep the swelling down," he said. "I feel refreshed and fully focused after staying at home last weekend. I don't like missing games and last weekend was the first I have had off in about two years because I have usually been away playing international football whenever we have had a break. It was pleasing to get a rest, but now I want to get back into it."

Blazer
09-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Anyone know what our record is without Robbo in the midfield?!

Curious.

Shakes McQueen
09-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Hey J-Mo, what's the REAL story behind this? :D

Seriously though, if his ankle is swollen to the point where he isn't walking around, I doubt he plays this weekend, even if it's just for precautionary reasons. And to be honest, I think Sanyang has earned another game to strut his stuff anyway.

Hope he's up and at 'em soon though! The twin brick shithouses of Dichio and Robbo will rise again!

- Scott

craigtfc
09-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Oh Well.........

v00d00daddy
09-01-2009, 03:47 PM

First off let me say that I feel bad for the guy because ankle injuries are bad news for soccer players in their 30's.

That being said, I've been waiting for this day for a long time. It sucks that Robbo got hurt but I'm very happy that TFC may be moving on without him.

As for your above comment......His play has been the same for 3 years. He has not dropped off this year....he just looks worse next to guys with more skill. The player that some of you have seen this year is the player I've been watching for almost 3 years now. Nothing has changed.

The fact that he was named POTY two years in a row was a joke.

I'msorry he hurt himself but will not be sad to see him go.(if he in fact is leaving-fingers crossed).

v00d00daddy
09-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Two things:

First, below is the pertinent part of the Robinson story from Toronto FC's web site. Read it.

Second, pardon the en masse personal attack, but anyone who thinks TFC is better off with Robinson off the squad and out of town is a through and through moron. If you really think that, you have no idea who the leaders of this team really are and how lost it would be without them.

So what exactly has he lead this team to?
Name one player that he has made better.
How lost they would be without him? How cohesive are they WITH him?

This team does not sink or swim by the play of Carl Robinson. Never has, never will. He is (was) a bit player that the fans chose to raise to the heights of some demi-god. I never understood it.

Please explain it to me.

Hustle
09-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Last year, The man made key defensive plays and good distribution game in and game out and was above average. Anyone who watched would know that. It seemed right around the DeGuzman talk that his play started to falter, but my memory isn't that short. There is a reason he was player of the year twice and that's because for many games I would leave thinking he was the most talented guy we had on the team. Alot has changed this year and Robbo is getting overtaken, but he don;t deserve to be badmouthed.

ilikemusic
09-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Robbo is garbage and im glad he wont be playing.

Good distribution?

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c200/ilikemusicmore/OHDAMNLOL.gif

I dont know if Robinson has made a good pass since arriving.

Robbo was named player of the year because he isnt a forward, so he couldnt be blamed for not scoring, and he isnt a defender, so he couldnt be easily blamed for goals against.

Its called flying under the radar, and playing as a 'holding midfielder' who's only job is to make tackles and muck up plays is a great way to not get noticed.

TFC RealDeal RPB
09-01-2009, 04:19 PM
^^^ +1 i'M SORRY BUT I DON'T LIKE AT ALL !!!! WE NEED YOUGER PLAYER"S

Yohan
09-01-2009, 04:40 PM
So what exactly has he lead this team to?
Name one player that he has made better.
How lost they would be without him? How cohesive are they WITH him?
I'm sure Mo Edu and Sam Cronin would disagree with you. Maybe Sanyang too

This team does not sink or swim by the play of Carl Robinson. Never has, never will. He is (was) a bit player that the fans chose to raise to the heights of some demi-god. I never understood it.

Please explain it to me.most good DMs fly under the radar, and don't get the appreciation until they leave the team or misses a lot of games. If Robbo could pass a bit better, he would still be playing in England

I'm ok with Robbo not playing right now, because frankly, Sanyang has looked very solid from few games he's played and Robbo's terrible passing made him a liability right now. And I'd like to get more of a look at Sanyang, who may be future DM of TFC.

As much as I appreciate Robbo, his 34 yrs old age plus huge salary means he's due to be replace pretty soon

Roogsy
09-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Robbo is garbage and im glad he wont be playing.

Good distribution?

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c200/ilikemusicmore/OHDAMNLOL.gif

I dont know if Robinson has made a good pass since arriving.

Robbo was named player of the year because he isnt a forward, so he couldnt be blamed for not scoring, and he isnt a defender, so he couldnt be easily blamed for goals against.

Its called flying under the radar, and playing as a 'holding midfielder' who's only job is to make tackles and muck up plays is a great way to not get noticed.

Spoken like someone who has never played HM nor played behind a horrible HM on defence.

The position is an underappreciated one by everyone. Unless you've been in the trenches and played behind a midfield that lets everything through, you don't realize how much pressure a proper HM can relieve off the shoulders of the defensive line.

Robbo's passing however, is horrendous. It's gotten worse this year.

Your gif is killing me BTW... :lol:

v00d00daddy
09-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Okay...but I still don't get how/why this guy is/was so loved by the fans.

In one year he has been replaced by a 23 year old rookie in Cronin (who most would agree is much better suited to play Robbo's position), and AN 18 YEAR OLD ROOKIE IN SANYANG.

If he could pass better he'd be in England? WHA?

Not in top flight England..that's for sure.

I think ilikemusic was right when he said:
"Robbo was named player of the year because he isnt a forward, so he couldnt be blamed for not scoring, and he isnt a defender, so he couldnt be easily blamed for goals against."

This has to be the reason why he won POTY two years in a row.

Oh and btw...Jimmy B was the other player who won it. Shared it with Robbo if I remember correctly.

So sad. I think people might have "heart" and "leadership" a little to high on their list of what makes a "player of the year".

I still don't get it.

v00d00daddy
09-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Spoken like someone who has never played HM nor played behind a horrible HM on defence.

The position is an underappreciated one by everyone. Unless you've been in the trenches and played behind a midfield that lets everything through, you don't realize how much pressure a proper HM can relieve off the shoulders of the defensive line.

Robbo's passing however, is horrendous. It's gotten worse this year.

Your gif is killing me BTW... :lol:

Underappreciated by who?

The guy makes the most money on the team for two years.
Wins POTY twice.
Wins man of the match a bunch of times.
The guy is generally revered by most supporters as one of the greatest TFC players.

The guy has been WAY OVERAPPRECIATED and people are just afraid to admit their mistakes. imo

Roogsy
09-01-2009, 05:12 PM
I said the position is underappreciated, not the player. Let's use our reading skills here please.

Yohan
09-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Underappreciated by who?

The guy makes the most money on the team for two years.
Wins POTY twice.
Wins man of the match a bunch of times.
The guy is generally revered by most supporters as one of the greatest TFC players.

The guy has been WAY OVERAPPRECIATED and people are just afraid to admit their mistakes. imo
I can also remember many games where Robbo single handedly turned centre of pitch into a blackholes where the opposition offence just stops dead

so hard being a DM and making a lot of money

Yohan
09-01-2009, 05:17 PM
I said the position is underappreciated, not the player. Let's use our reading skills here please.
just like how many people don't really appreciate what Vieira/Makelele/Gattuso/Mascherano/Gilberto Silva etc does for a team full of stars

v00d00daddy
09-01-2009, 05:35 PM

So you said the position is underappreciated in a thread about Carl Robinson who plays that position, at a time when we're talking about him playing that position. lol..wow I said position too many times there.

You make it sound like I took a leap of faith by implying that you meant that Robbo was under appreciated.

Sorry but saying that DM is an underappreciated position in a thread about a DM that some are arguing is underappeciated might be translated to mean that you think he is underappreciated. My bad.

v00d00daddy
09-01-2009, 05:38 PM
just like how many people don't really appreciate what Vieira/Makelele/Gattuso/Mascherano/Gilberto Silva etc does for a team full of stars

Just like how those guys are the highest paid players on their respective teams and are voted POTY every year.

Guys....Robbo is/was an okay player. Not nearly the player that some people here have made him out to be and not nearly deserving of the money and accolades he's received in the last three years.

That's all I'm saying.

AL-MO
09-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Just like how those guys are the highest paid players on their respective teams and are voted POTY every year.

Guys....Robbo is/was an okay player. Not nearly the player that some people here have made him out to be and not nearly deserving of the money and accolades he's received in the last three years.

That's all I'm saying.

Fair enough.

I think the MLS salary cap makes things a bit wacky sometimes though.

Dub Narcotic
09-01-2009, 05:52 PM
I thought Robinson started off well this year but has faded badly with all the travel, turf, etc.. This solves an inconvenient problem for Cummins: Sanyang is playing better at this point and now he can start without upsetting the locker room.

Oldtimer
09-01-2009, 07:43 PM
It's amazing how for every player we've got at least someone here who hates that player. Even DeRo and Robbo.

Robbo was a rock in midfield our first two seasons, easily a key figure. There was a huge difference when he was away on Wales duty. He was an international player until this year. Don't base your evaluation of players on the last few games, like a lot of people around here seem to do.

Now this year, he seems to have lost a little bit of the stopping ability, his distribution has gotten worse, and Sanyang is ready to go, so there is no worry that he's out for a game or two. But if you watch the previous year's highlights, and watch specifically for him, you'll see that he had a significant influence in the background. So it's okay to say he's getting a bit old, that he's on the wrong side of 35, but you should at the same time acknowledge that he brought a lot to the team in the past, and still has some left to give.

BTW, I think he did deserve the POTY last year, although he wouldn't get it this year.

Bars92
09-01-2009, 08:08 PM
ok lets start criticizing guys who have how many caps for Wales??

v00d00daddy
09-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Just for the record...I've felt this way about this guy forever.

See post on this page:
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4469&page=2

If we could see the old board you'd see that I thought this almost from day one.

So tell me...what has changed in his game in 1 year?

He became a bad passer or has he always been one?

By the way...he was an Intl. Sub until this year....and what does that have to do with anything? Marco Velez is an Intl. player too...what's the point? (not that I want to shit on Velez)

Skinner
09-01-2009, 09:44 PM
I thought Robinson started off well this year but has faded badly with all the travel, turf, etc.. This solves an inconvenient problem for Cummins: Sanyang is playing better at this point and now he can start without upsetting the locker room.

That was exactly my first thought when I heard Robbo was hurt and likely out.

I have been Robbo's biggest supprter from day one because of his tenacity, dedication to the squad and class. But I have to admit that he has had a tough year either because his skills are declining or the team and league have improved around him...or a combination of both. Either way, I think Sanyang has looked fantastic in his opportunities over the last few weeks and clearly brings us a better chance at success than Robbo right now. The kid is our future for sure, and now its looking like he is our present as well.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-01-2009, 09:48 PM
I like Robbo alot but as of his play recently id rather see Sanyang playing his position

ensco
09-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Next thing you know, Brennan will have jury duty.

Roogsy
09-01-2009, 10:04 PM
So you said the position is underappreciated in a thread about Carl Robinson who plays that position, at a time when we're talking about him playing that position. lol..wow I said position too many times there.

You make it sound like I took a leap of faith by implying that you meant that Robbo was under appreciated.

Sorry but saying that DM is an underappreciated position in a thread about a DM that some are arguing is underappeciated might be translated to mean that you think he is underappreciated. My bad.

Nice justification.

I made my post in response to a post that said this:

My comment was made with regards to a deragatory remark about a position I play with a great deal of effort and pride.

My statement is quite clear, I think the position is of great importance. It does not claim to hold an opinion as to whether Robbo is appreciated enough or not. Since I agree that he has received plenty of praise and I myself mentioned that I think his passing has gotten worse over the year, I would say my post does not make any inferences whatsoever other than what it clearly and directly states.

maninb
09-02-2009, 07:09 AM
Though I think Robbo shouldn't be starting he's a GREAT defensive asset to have on the bench....his distibution has been lacking this year, but to have a guy like him who is capable of shutting down ANY MF in this league is a big asset to be missing...

king dave
09-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Most important thing here is that this is just another valid reason to replace that piece of shit turf with real grass.
Yes, who will be next?
Dero? Brennan? Wynne?
Who?
Imagine if 2 more players sustain turf related injuries and cost us any chance for playoffs?
There would be a fucking riot at gate 4.
Guaranteed.
KD.

Canadian Blue
09-02-2009, 12:16 PM
need Robbo for the playoff push.

TFC in a playoff push..............hahahahahahahahahahahaha, now your having a laugh mate

Lucky Strike
09-02-2009, 12:48 PM
That was exactly my first thought when I heard Robbo was hurt and likely out.

I have been Robbo's biggest supprter from day one because of his tenacity, dedication to the squad and class. But I have to admit that he has had a tough year either because his skills are declining or the team and league have improved around him...or a combination of both. Either way, I think Sanyang has looked fantastic in his opportunities over the last few weeks and clearly brings us a better chance at success than Robbo right now. The kid is our future for sure, and now its looking like he is our present as well.

That's precisely my view as well. +1 on all counts.

Heathen
09-02-2009, 01:03 PM

So he's retiring then

rocker
09-02-2009, 01:43 PM
TFC in a playoff push..............hahahahahahahahahahahaha,

somebody give this guy the supporter of the year award! ;)

SoccMan
09-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Yes Robinson is a classy good guy and his heart is in the right place and he seems to truly care about this team. However, in tems of ability and his play here is a player for whatever reason has been overly over rated. I thought even when he was named our team mvp that he did not merit it on his play. We are a better team when he is not on the pitch and hopefully due to injury we no longer see him on the pitch the remainder of the season.