PDA

View Full Version : My Video From TFC@Seattle

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 09:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guOPljB18q4

note: the video quality is shit until youtube finished processing it.
It might be worth waiting until lunch before watching it.

guOPljB18q4

Pigfynn
09-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Nicely done.

DOMIN8R
09-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Great work, sparky.

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 10:32 AM
glad you guys dig it.

this one really upped the production value. Hell, I have graphics AND a rental car!

Roogsy
09-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Are you billing RPB? :lol:

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 10:37 AM
^ no, I send my invoice to MLSE

right?

:rolleyes:

clearly a joke

Roogsy
09-01-2009, 10:44 AM
I KNEW IT!!! :lol:

Ratven
09-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Cool, I was hoping you'd have one of these gems :)

Did you ever figure out if they duplicated recorded chants on the tv broadcast?

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 10:50 AM
^ not yet, but I'm getting a copy of the NBC broadcast from a friend and will give it a proper analysis

(picture me in a CSI style lab)

Ageroo
09-01-2009, 10:51 AM
As I said on the video...top notch establishment to watch the game replay......and I see KrazyKanadian got pervert row.....:)

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 10:52 AM
^ he really wanted to see the subtle nuances of the game, thus had to sit really close.

jloome
09-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Great job Parky, you're my new multimedia hero Dude!

Gotta give them props for their crowd. The somewhat lame "facilitation" by the club (leading marches, piping the band in etc) is a little more understandable; as multicultural as Seattle is, we're not talking about a country that's part of the Commonwealth and exposed to British and Euro culture as regularly.

Nice, nice job man. Fine edit.

Wagner
09-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Nice Whip.

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 11:02 AM
^ glad you dig it jloome. I think that I gave a pretty fair report.
Certainly there are some very positive things about the Seattle club,
and other MLS teams should take note.

Toronto, Seattle, Philly, Montreal, Portland.... all the 'new era' clubs are about supporters.
The older 'soccer mom' establishments need to catch up.

MartinUtd
09-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Great video!

I had a blast down there. I also really glad I never noticed the bottom half of the body painters either..lol

prizby
09-01-2009, 11:15 AM
maybe fat man Carey can pay for their flights and hotels lol bring the fans with him!

parky-loved it

Artur3575
09-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Great job Parkdale!!!!!

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 11:23 AM
^ you're on vacation - get off the computer

Artur3575
09-01-2009, 11:32 AM
lol i know i just cant keep my hands off RPBs website lol

KrazyKanadian
09-01-2009, 11:41 AM
As I said on the video...top notch establishment to watch the game replay......and I see KrazyKanadian got pervert row.....:)

Best. Sports. Bar. Evar.

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 11:43 AM
^ worst. jaggershots. ever.

seriously, I have no idea what they put in them, but I felt like I was going to barf.

KrazyKanadian
09-01-2009, 11:48 AM
^ worst. jaggershots. ever.

seriously, I have no idea what they put in them, but I felt like I was going to barf.

I think she put 151 Bacardi in them. I was arguing with the bartender Sunday night about really goes in a Liquid Cocaine and he insisted that it should have Rum.

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 11:51 AM
whatever it was, it sure tasted like vile poison.

grizzle
09-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Great video, nicely edited!

Pookie
09-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Great video. A couple of thoughts:

1. Is Seattle's "lower bowl" a designated Standing area or does it just happen?

I found it really interesting to listen to pregame commentary on TFC's GolTV talking about the standing in Seattle as a sign of how they've raised the bar. Ironic when the same FO that produces the show has literally forced people to sit.

As they look at expansion plans, the layout in Seattle might be something to consider with the 200 level (and any new upper deck on the east or south end) designated for fans that prefer to sit.

2. I still don't get the satisfaction with the road point. That result gave Seattle the tiebreaker advantage and did nothing to keep pace with the playoff hopefulls.

3. Who were the guys in Barrett jerseys? That's brave right there :)

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 12:22 PM
1. Is Seattle's "lower bowl" a designated Standing area or does it just happen?

I think it just happens. There are seats, but people stands.

3. Who were the guys in Barrett jerseys? That's brave right there :)

He's from the West Coast (Portland?) and I overheard they were family.

London
09-01-2009, 12:32 PM
when you were in the parkinglot,

it looked like a giant stopsignal behind you with the red circle empty. (on the stadium)

i wonder it it is set up so the sun sets through that circle, making it art???

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 12:37 PM
^ you're deep pat.

who knew that Qwest Field was the Pacific version of Stonehenge?

MartinUtd
09-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Im having a good laugh at the tough guy bullshit on ECS.

They're actually mad that you didn't fellate them for 10 minutes for being so awesome.

AL-MO
09-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Nice video Parky.

TFC07
09-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Great job Parky, you're my new multimedia hero Dude!

Gotta give them props for their crowd. The somewhat lame "facilitation" by the club (leading marches, piping the band in etc) is a little more understandable; as multicultural as Seattle is, we're not talking about a country that's part of the Commonwealth and exposed to British and Euro culture as regularly.

Nice, nice job man. Fine edit.

Very true. It will be interesting to see Vancouver (and hopefully Montreal) crowds when they're in MLS.

Sonny Cheeba
09-01-2009, 12:52 PM
i don't get why we have this insecurity about seattle fans. and if it's not insecurity, it sure comes off that way. it's like when columbus fans tried to put us down, it just showed their insecurities as supporters.

i liked the RJD2 track.

good vid though. well done.

TFC07
09-01-2009, 12:57 PM
i don't get why we have this insecurity about seattle fans. and if it's not insecurity, it sure comes off that way. it's like when columbus fans tried to put us down, it just showed their insecurities as supporters.

i liked the RJD2 track.

good vid though. well done.

We? Maybe some TFC supporters do, but most of us don't care at all. Seattle has got a great fanbase and hopefully they continue supporting Sounders in the future.

Sonny Cheeba
09-01-2009, 01:01 PM
We? Maybe some TFC supporters do, but most of us don't care at all. Seattle has got a great fanbase and hopefully they continue supporting Sounders in the future.

ok... sorry for saying we. i don't feel that way at all.

but then you said "us" so, there's an "us" and "them" within tfc supporters. i already knew that. what's the general consensus then? is RPB's view on the matter? that people are forgetting about the Toronto support?

zeelaw
09-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Damn it Yohan do you work at all... every trip lol

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 01:03 PM
is RPB's view on the matter? that people are forgetting about the Toronto support?

like always, The Views Expressed by Parkdale are his own

A lot of people have been saying that Seattle is the best thing since sliced bread.
Well you know what, we're that sliced bread - and are challenging other clubs to do more.

TFC07
09-01-2009, 01:03 PM
ok... sorry for saying we. i don't feel that way at all.

but then you said "us" so, there's an "us" and "them" within tfc supporters. i already knew that. what's the general consensus then? is RPB's view on the matter? that people are forgetting about the Toronto support?

Outside of this forum, I think TFC fans don't care about Seattle and their fanbase at all.

SilverSamurai
09-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Very true. It will be interesting to see Vancouver (and hopefully Montreal) crowds when they're in MLS.
Nice vid.
Montreal will be very different. If anything their support should grow if they hurry up and join the league.
Vancouver will be too thanks to Evil Burt. ;)

Nice job of spotting the mics.

So is it safe to say the band is paid by the club?
Personally I prefer TRN's way of supporting the club over a band.

But we're a lot more multicultural over here so it's obviously different.

Watching the CBC broadcast it sounded/seemed like the band had predetermined times to play. I say that because while it was quiet a lot of the time, the band rarely did much to try to get the crowd going. I only remember hearing them near the tail end of the 1st half.

Nice vid again. :canada:

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Outside of this forum, I think TFC fans don't care about Seattle and their fanbase at all.

unfortunately, a lot of TFC fans don't really follow the league outside of TFC anyway.

Nomad
09-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Before i start off, I am at work and watched this video but i have no speakers so i could not hear what was being said

To be honest, the ECS did a very good job with support. They had their full section in unison which is something you don't see anywhere at BMO. Every once in a while they'd pipe in a chant over the speakers to get other sections (equivalent to 108 and the like) involved but the ECS gave a full 90. I was very impressed.

I was very disappointed with our level of support. We could not hold a chant for longer than a minute and there was long lapses where we had nothing going on. We (as in all supporters regardless of affiliation) need to make sure we have at least one capo on hand for every roadtrip. It would have made a world of difference.

Roogsy
09-01-2009, 02:05 PM
I was very disappointed with our level of support. We could not hold a chant for longer than a minute and there was long lapses where we had nothing going on. We (as in all supporters regardless of affiliation) need to make sure we have at least one capo on hand for every roadtrip. It would have made a world of difference.

You were there? Why didn't you capo? Capos aren't anyone specific. it doesn't have to be Mas or Flush, it can be anyone who steps up. They are just volunteers willing to step up and do the job.

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 02:08 PM
for the most part, a few of us in the front were starting chants when we could.
I know that my voice is finally coming back. The big issue is that when a big
Seattle chant was going on, it would be pointless to try to out sing them.

sure improvements could be made, but I know that we did chant quite a bit
(to the point that my voice gave out)

Roogsy
09-01-2009, 02:15 PM
From what I saw in the video, those that went on the trip aren't the usual "bunker crowd". Some 75 mile bastards, some STHs from other sections. It wouldn't surprise me that you simply aren't accustomed to a full 90 anyways. Not to mention, you were a robust, but still small group of 50. I wasn't there, so I don't know, but I am sure you guys did your best. The fact that you made the trip out, brought the flags and did sing, for whatever time it was, represented Toronto fans well. Kudos to you.

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 02:16 PM
next time.... I'm going to a hardware store and buying some plastic buckets to use as drums.

Nomad
09-01-2009, 02:19 PM
You were there? Why didn't you capo? Capos aren't anyone specific. it doesn't have to be Mas or Flush, it can be anyone who steps up. They are just volunteers willing to step up and do the job.

Some are better with chant selection/flows/charisma to lead than others. There isn't any secret to the fact that not anyone can capo. We did the best we could but being in the later rows and having everyone around get disinterested and peter out ofter 2-3 go thrus made it even more difficult.

Blazer
09-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Prefacing : Good effort with the video.

Why do we (as TFC supporters) collectively feel this incessant need to forever compare ourselves with every other damn supporters group in the league?! Is our complex so dire and unsteady that we have to make it clear to everyone that we are the best and here are just ten reasons as to why you and your support(ers) suck in contrast to us - the paramount and almighty of them all?! Don't get me wrong, many people around here have every reason to feel proud of what they have contributed and accomplished in three short years of existence. But when is too much too much?

I just don’t get it and actually feel embarrassed, at times, when I hear us clamor about how much prettier we are then the other girls in class. It’s rather pathetic really. I think, if something is so organically obvious, we shouldn’t have to artificially and pretentiously announce it rather just have people accept it for what it is. Part of what makes the girl so pretty is that she doesn’t think she’s better (or “hotter”) than anyone else, she just allows others to be the judge. Which 9 times out of 10 works out in her favour anyway?! I mean, if we could only put all of this wasted time and energy into making ourselves a better collective group, (new and better chants that aren’t heard across the league, greater unison and clarity, strategies to grow and promote supports sections, etc.), there’d be no question as to our legitimacy as supporters.

Besides that, good vid and thanks to all for the good showing. Just wasn’t a big fan of the “why your support sucks” and the “what you can do to be more like us” prompt.

Now, carry on.

Nomad
09-01-2009, 02:20 PM
The fact that you made the trip out, brought the flags and did sing, for whatever time it was, represented Toronto fans well. Kudos to you.

I disagree, i'm not one to accept mediocrity and give it an A for effort.

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Besides that, good vid and thanks to all for the good showing. Just wasn’t a big fan of the “why your support sucks” and the “what you can do to be more like us” prompt.

I thought it was more like 'Some teams are doing it right, like TFC and Seattle, but fostering the supporters movement'. Other MLS teams, please catch up.

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 02:23 PM
I disagree, i'm not one to accept mediocrity and give it an A for effort.

coming from someone who wasn't even wearing a red shirt :rolleyes:

Smuttynose

are you kidding?? we got 50 (ish) people out to a game in seattle, 3000 miles away for most of us. that alone says something about our level of support. as for the capo and chanting and such, maybe you should've stepped up to be capo? i know i was pretty exhausted from singing all game.

Blazer
^ Yeah and that was great. But, I’m not exclusively talking about this video.

Roogsy
09-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Some are better with chant selection/flows/charisma to lead than others. There isn't any secret to the fact that not anyone can capo. We did the best we could but being in the later rows and having everyone around get disinterested and peter out ofter 2-3 go thrus made it even more difficult.

It is much easier to criticize after the fact as opposed to doing something about it.

Are you more of a follower than a doer?

Maybe others are better at being capo, but since they were not there, if you felt the effort to that point was not enough and then did nothing yourself, then you are part of the reason for the fail. You can't just stand back do nothing and then criticize others for the result.

Smuttynose
09-01-2009, 02:37 PM
^ well said

Blazer
09-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Before i start off, I am at work and watched this video but i have no speakers so i could not hear what was being said

To be honest, the ECS did a very good job with support. They had their full section in unison which is something you don't see anywhere at BMO. Every once in a while they'd pipe in a chant over the speakers to get other sections (equivalent to 108 and the like) involved but the ECS gave a full 90. I was very impressed.

I don’t think it’s fair to criticize any road warrior – they made the trip, that in and of itself is admirable and should make Torontonians (nevermind TFC supporters & players) proud.

That said, I think your frustration is merited at home. Having more (and capable) capos is critical to the cause. Flush does a remarkable job when he’s up there, but when he’s not, shouldn’t just be replaced with any willing candidate. It does take a certain je ne sais qwah that not everyone has. If all we have is Flush and Zach, then so be it, we can’t complain. But I think we have others. Who? I have no idea, but the numbers alone would suggest that others exist somewhere out there.

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 02:48 PM
support (in my opinion) isn't just about chanting - flags, banners etc all come into it as well.

Thanks to Platts and RedRed we had a whole bunch of flags and poles, which is something we can do to augment our smaller numbers.

Roogsy
09-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Back to the positives about the trip...

I like how you threw down the gauntlet to their supporters. Let's see if they bring anyone next game as opposed to just their merry fat owner! LOL!

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Back to the positives about the trip...

I like how you threw down the gauntlet to their supporters. Let's see if they bring anyone next game as opposed to just their merry fat owner! LOL!

yep. it's easy to have a good crowd support in a kick-ass stadium (which it is) especially when it's right downtown (also, it is). Now taking it on the road, that's the next level.

KrazyKanadian
09-01-2009, 03:14 PM
support (in my opinion) isn't just about chanting - flags, banners etc all come into it as well.

Thanks to Platts and RedRed we had a whole bunch of flags and poles, which is something we can do to augment our smaller numbers.

I had a banner and flag in my backpack but didn't bother to bring them when I found out what little space we had, and how many banners were already coming.

As to the singing, there was a chunk of us in the later rows who tried and tried, but couldn't get people around us to hold the chant. We did Dichio24 another four times after the main group, two of those basically on our own. :( We even had a five-man/one-woman Horto go for a bit. :D But otherwise, I was disappointed overall. KC, DC and New England were light-years better in terms of the noise we brought, and those were comparable group sizes.

I don't feel any need to constantly compare ourselves to anyone else. We do what we do, and don't need a label of "The Best" or have to constantly work our elbows to pat ourselves on the back. I complimented every Sounder supporter I met and told them to keep up their level of support, because this league needs groups like ECS, Barra (both Brava and Real), Midnight Riders and the Riot Squad. If they weren't there, then it would be a 90 minute Sunday picnic.

Nomad
09-01-2009, 03:28 PM
coming from someone who wasn't even wearing a red shirt :rolleyes:

I don't understand this point at all. Wearing a colour means fuck all in terms of anything.

Nomad
09-01-2009, 03:30 PM
I don’t think it’s fair to criticize any road warrior – they made the trip, that in and of itself is admirable and should make Torontonians (nevermind TFC supporters & players) proud.

I disagree. I feel that if you make the effort to travel you shouldn't do it half assed.

Krasno.pL.
09-01-2009, 03:30 PM
were u wearing a green one?

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 03:31 PM
wouldn't you think that wearing red is a good way to show you are there for the team who is also in red?

Nomad
i know i was pretty exhausted from singing all game.

You didn't sing all game so i do not understand where your exhaustion is from unless it was heat that got to you.

Nomad
wouldn't you think that wearing red is a good way to show you are there for the team who is also in red?

Not really. I'm not a marketing scheme.

Krasno.pL.
09-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Why is this guy mad?

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Not really. I'm not a marketing scheme.

wearing the jersey of the team you support is 'marketing'?
would having a red t-shirt also be working for The Man?

Why is this guy mad?

not sure.

Nomad
09-01-2009, 03:34 PM
It is much easier to criticize after the fact as opposed to doing something about it.

Are you more of a follower than a doer?

Maybe others are better at being capo, but since they were not there, if you felt the effort to that point was not enough and then did nothing yourself, then you are part of the reason for the fail. You can't just stand back do nothing and then criticize others for the result.

Am i a follower or doer? I can be one or the other depending on the situation. I am very much a doer in many ascpets of being a part of a supporters group. If you would like my CV in full i'll pm it to you. :p

As has been stated, certain travellers tried to get our people going to little avail. Calling out another supporters group and throwing down the gauntlet when not living up to your own standards is not something i will be party to. It's as simple as that.

BallardSounder
09-01-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm on a slow ass internet connection here at the hotel in DC so haven't watched the video yet, but a few comments.

ECS hates the band, but things have cooled off now that they moved them from where they were, which was right NEXT to ECS. Stupid FO trick. You can imagine how much fun it was to have the band strike up right when we were in the middle of a song.

The band is paid, and some of the band members are not total tools. They are also directed when to play by the FO with very specific start times. Thus, they'll start during an opposing team corner kick, or something like that. They will not play anything on their own, such as when things are quiet. They mike them before the game, and maybe at the half, but aren't supposed to mike them during play.

And they have NEVER played an ECS song, or played ANY soccer song, or really any song which could be sung along to, as far as I know.

You guys looked great, and I could hear chants/songs faintly a few times, which is really quite an accomplishment. There was another group of TFC fans in the NW corner (the normal away fan section is the NE corner) and it was too bad they weren't all over together as they were pretty loud too.

Next year hopefully we'll send a good sized group for the away leg in Toronto. We've got over 150 coming to tomorrow nights Open Cup match here in DC, so we're getting better.

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Calling out another supporters group and throwing down the gauntlet when not living up to your own standards is not something i will be party to. It's as simple as that.

who called out another supporters group? Me? In the video?

I seem to recall saying that 'things are good' in Seattle.

Nomad
09-01-2009, 03:37 PM
I am not mad or upset. To me this is a very civil conversation. I'll admit to being disappointed but i'm not speaking with terms of real menace, just difference of opinion as to what went on in Seattle.

Parkdale
You guys looked great, and I could hear chants/songs faintly a few times, which is really quite an accomplishment.

what section were you in? the ECS end I take it?

Krasno.pL.
Fair enough.. i give full praise to u Parky, and to the 50 that followed!
Hopefully ECS takes up and makes for another great game at BMO next year.

Nomad
09-01-2009, 03:38 PM
who called out another supporters group? Me? In the video?

I seem to recall saying that 'things are good' in Seattle.

I am still at work and can not hear the video in question (no speakers). From this thread the gist i have gotten is that Seattle does not live up to the hype which to me directly references their supporter group. If i am wrong about this i apologize for that part of the statement.

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 03:39 PM
I was very disappointed with our level of support.

You guys looked great, and I could hear chants/songs faintly a few times, which is really quite an accomplishment.

so we have a Seattle supporter saying we did a decent job (despite being outnumbered) and a Toronto supporter saying he was very disappointed with the support.

okay.... :facepalm:

Krasno.pL.
09-01-2009, 03:40 PM
so we have a Seattle supporter saying we did a decent job (despite being outnumbered) and a Toronto supporter saying he was very disappointed with the support.

:facepalm: ftw

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 03:40 PM
I am still at work and can not hear the video in question (no speakers). From this thread the gist i have gotten is that Seattle does not live up to the hype which to me directly references their supporter group. If i am wrong about this i apologize for that part of the statement.

the whole monologue at the end says (to summarize) "There are good things happening in Seattle, some things that are different than in Toronto, but overall, good things and more clubs could learn from what they've got going on."

if it criticizes anyone, it's the old clubs who don't cultivate the supporters environment.

and yes, I did point out a few bad things about seattle (mics, band) but I also pointed out a few great things that they do better than us (lower bowl all standing)

Nomad
09-01-2009, 03:44 PM

I do not see the conflict in this at all actually. He can say what he likes as i have no idea what standards he holds. If he's impressed with numbers then fair enough, for being 3000 miles away it was a good turnout. If he's impressed with what we did in the stands then i'll not so humbly say he should want more.

Parkdale
09-01-2009, 03:46 PM
If he's impressed with what we did in the stands then i'll not so humbly say he should want more.

agreed that we should always aim higher, but it's not fair to discredit the good that was done. You said it was mediocre support, but I disagree. I sang until my voice gave out, and you can't really give it anymore than that. I know others did too.

Vancity RED
09-01-2009, 04:20 PM
I drove down to Seattle from Vancouver decked in red, two scarfs around my neck, and flag in hand. I guess it's not what you wear, but how loud and how long one sings and chants. Sorry, I don't get to many games at BMO and therefore don't know all the chants. I suppose I should have brushed up on things as to not disappoint anyone. For whatever it's worth, my throat ached for days afterwards.

Nomad - sorry we didn't live up to your expectations. Hopefully you'll be front and centre next year in Seattle to show us how it's done.

BallardSounder
09-01-2009, 04:26 PM
what section were you in? the ECS end I take it?

Not this one, I was about 30 rows up behind the TFC bench. I got season tickets with the family there, so only get to go sing and drink with ECS a couple times a year.

Yohan
09-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Damn it Yohan do you work at all... every trip lol
this was only my 4th road trip this year :(

I believe Chad Barrett's mom was in the section right beside us, and the other guys in Barrett shirts are family members?

Nomad, you think couple of really old TFC supporters also came on the trip with us. Because they did not sing or jump the entire match, they are less of a supporter than you?

I admit that we could have been more louder and the vibe was better at Boston or KC, but I don't think one should judge another supporter based upon how loud you are.
We all support our team, in our own way and of our own methods.

BallardSounder
09-01-2009, 04:35 PM
I do not see the conflict in this at all actually. He can say what he likes as i have no idea what standards he holds. If he's impressed with numbers then fair enough, for being 3000 miles away it was a good turnout. If he's impressed with what we did in the stands then i'll not so humbly say he should want more.

Standards? There's supposed to be standards?

Seriously though, I'm only comparing against previous away fan support. The TFC showing in Seattle was by far the best I've seen this year in number, loudness, and unity.

This is especially impressive since it includes teams that are a LOT closer. Of course, San Jose fans don't even show up for games in San Jose, so maybe that's not the best example.

Blazer
09-01-2009, 04:42 PM
You need to lower your standards Nomad. This city and their supporters are still learning how to be fantastic in all aspects of the word. Our progress from season one, albeit slow and steady, has been encouraging and shouldn’t be overlooked. Lots of people work hard to accomplish what has been accomplished around here, so dumping in the mouths of 50 supporters who wore their hearts on their sleeve is not only unfair, but uncalled for. I’ve never heard 50 supporters amongst 30,000 sound good anyway?! Hell, we had over a hundred in NE and sounded pathetic, but at least we were there for them to see unlike what we see at BMO.

If you want to criticize our chants, whether it be lyrics or accuracy of their content, then so be it – you’re entitled to it. If you want to criticize the overzealous drunks that inevitably make us look bad and sound bad at home or on the road, go for it – you’re entitled to it. But for you to claim that a “half assed” approach is what Seattle was, most if not all should be insulted. 50 people can’t sound good on the road my man, sorry.

There’s nothing half-assed about flying to Seattle for a soccer game. Nothing.

Smuttynose
09-01-2009, 05:00 PM
You didn't sing all game so i do not understand where your exhaustion is from unless it was heat that got to you.
:rolleyes:

Shakes McQueen
09-01-2009, 05:15 PM
You need to lower your standards Nomad. This city and their supporters are still learning how to be fantastic in all aspects of the word. Our progress from season one, albeit slow and steady, has been encouraging and shouldn’t be overlooked. Lots of people work hard to accomplish what has been accomplished around here, so dumping in the mouths of 50 supporters who wore their hearts on their sleeve is not only unfair, but uncalled for. I’ve never heard 50 supporters amongst 30,000 sound good anyway?! Hell, we had over a hundred in NE and sounded pathetic, but at least we were there for them to see unlike what we see at BMO.

If you want to criticize our chants, whether it be lyrics or accuracy of their content, then so be it – you’re entitled to it. If you want to criticize the overzealous drunks that inevitably make us look bad and sound bad at home or on the road, go for it – you’re entitled to it. But for you to claim that a “half assed” approach is what Seattle was, most if not all should be insulted. 50 people can’t sound good on the road my man, sorry.

Fifty points for the smart man above me.

- Scott

FluSH
09-01-2009, 05:29 PM

Are you kidding me??? You can't be serious... Where you drinking at the Sounders bar? Man even if Seatle did live up to the hype.... I would still say they are CRAP...and you are telling me you haven't even heard the video... but are basing your comments on jist?!?!?!?!?

unbeliavable

AL-MO
09-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Why do we (as TFC supporters) collectively feel this incessant need to forever compare ourselves with every other damn supporters group in the league?! Is our complex so dire and unsteady that we have to make it clear to everyone that we are the best and here are just ten reasons as to why you and your support(ers) suck in contrast to us - the paramount and almighty of them all?!

Whoa...this thread really blew up this afternoon! :flare:

I agree with the above post. I don't understand the constant dick measuring with every other group in the league. (this is not directed at your video Parky) And what drives me even more nuts are the guys who....well....don't do ANYTHING, yet shit talk everyone else in the league and carry on how TFC fans are the best.

I could do, and say whatever I want (the time that I devote to banners and displays borders on unhealthy) but I don't. I don't care that much. I am too busy what WE are going to be doing next.

We need to focus on ourselves and what we can do to be better. Nevermind our opponents. We are better than them anyways. :p

Nomad
09-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Are you kidding me??? You can't be serious... Where you drinking at the Sounders bar? Man even if Seatle did live up to the hype.... I would still say they are CRAP...and you are telling me you haven't even heard the video... but are basing your comments on jist?!?!?!?!?

unbeliavable

Am i kidding? No.

Was at drinking at the Sounders bar? No, why would i? I don't hang out with other supporters.

If they did live up to the hype (they did a fine job) you'd still say they were crap? You're telling me even if they did something you'd deny reality to serve your own purpose?

Did i not clearly say i could not hear the video and then apologize for said statement even though this thread makes it pretty clear that Seattle was not up to snuff? Piped in chants to gear up the Seattle casuals is one thing (and i wouldn't like it either) but it had nothing to do with what was going on in the ECS end.

.......you don't start "Can you hear Seattle sing?" when you've just had dead air for the last 5 minutes and yes, you actually can hear Seattle sing.

AL-MO
09-01-2009, 05:51 PM
.......you don't start "Can you hear Seattle sing?" when you've just had dead air for the last 5 minutes and yes, you actually can hear Seattle sing.

Please tell me that didn't happen.....

Smuttynose
09-01-2009, 05:56 PM

it happened as we were walking along the streets past a bar of sounders fans before the game... i don't recall it happening at or in the stadium (if it did, i don't remember). although i did hear them sing it towards us lol

FluSH
09-01-2009, 05:59 PM
If they did live up to the hype (they did a fine job) you'd still say they were crap? You're telling me even if they did something you'd deny reality to serve your own purpose?

It's called a friendly rivalry or friendly jab... I am not writting a supporters thesis... and I am not sitting with a shrink talking about denying realities for my own purpose.... you're hilarious..

Did i not clearly say i could not hear the video and then apologize for said statement even though this thread makes it pretty clear that Seattle was not up to snuff? Piped in chants to gear up the Seattle casuals is one thing (and i wouldn't like it either) but it had nothing to do with what was going on in the ECS end.

I found nothing wrong with the video... in fact it was tame in my opinion. However what I do find wrong is that you are coming on here calling people out... We are are here trying to encourage people to go on roadtrips... to get the numbers and then teach the masses... You sound like you are talking down to people and that's not cool... You know what... you didn't like it that's fine... offer opinions on how to improve (and you actually did at first) but then you start calling people out? They just spent some serious cash on this trip... that's not how you encourage supporters to keep coming...

AL-MO
09-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Yeah that would be about as bad as when people tried to start that chant at BMO....and there were no away supporters....

That chant was best used in KC this year. (and probably Montreal - but I couldn't make that trip)

AL-MO
09-01-2009, 06:03 PM
......We are are here trying to encourage people to go on roadtrips... to get the numbers and then teach the masses......

Agreed. :yesnod:

Redpunkfiddle
I am not mad or upset. To me this is a very civil conversation. I'll admit to being disappointed but i'm not speaking with terms of real menace, just difference of opinion as to what went on in Seattle.

Calling out people (or seemingly, the whole group except for you and a couple of others) for not being audible while dismissing visual displays such as wearing red undermines your credibility.

Sniping on the net about a supporter who in fact brought it all but you say "didn't sing for ninety" however shows a lack of maturity.

There were people who hung back on the noise. Yep- saw it when I turned around from the front. Sometimes a chant fizzled when Seattle actuaaly got their crowd noise going on a good chance. Instead of dumping on the efforts that were made, how about we talk about what can be done to keep things top notch.

We organize banners and flags. We might be able to flesh out capo and drum (if permitted) duties for our organized trips before we head out.

FluSH
Yeah that would be about as bad as when people tried to start that chant at BMO....and there were no away supporters....

That chant was best used in KC this year. (and probably Montreal - but I couldn't make that trip)

You know what it happens... and it will continue to happen as more people are attracted to what we have....

Live and Learn... teach the new ones... and move on.

Tomorrow there will be another roadtrip.

Yohan
09-01-2009, 06:05 PM
On more positive note, I have been on 4 road trips this year so far, and I've yet to see TFC lose on the road :D

AL-MO
09-01-2009, 06:06 PM
On more positive note, I have been on 4 road trips this year so far, and I've yet to see TFC lose on the road :D

Remember where it started? :D

Yohan
09-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Remember where it started? :D
good times! :)

I also think it's all those lucky things I bring on road trips. this time, it was the Red Ensign (no, it was not the Ontario flag I was waving around) :D

twistedchinaman
09-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Also Parky how long did this take you to make?

KrazyKanadian
09-01-2009, 09:32 PM
You need to lower your standards Nomad.
(snip)

Hell, we had over a hundred in NE and sounded pathetic, but at least we were there for them to see unlike what we see at BMO.

Lower his standards? Why is it wrong to expect more? Settling for mediocrity stagnates growth, and we want to grow as a group of supporters, do we not?

Secondly, I don't know what you look like so I don't know if you were in NE or not, but we brought the noise. I don't know how you would say that we were pathetic then, when I could hear the entire group over top of the Midnight Riders from the other end. There were banners, flags, jumping and singing for the entire match, without pause. That's a completely inaccurate and unfair statement for you to make.

FluSH
09-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Lower his standards? Why is it wrong to expect more? Settling for mediocrity stagnates growth, and we want to grow as a group of supporters, do we not?

Secondly, I don't know what you look like so I don't know if you were in NE or not, but we brought the noise. I don't know how you would say that we were pathetic then, when I could hear the entire group over top of the Midnight Riders from the other end. There were banners, flags, jumping and singing for the entire match, without pause. That's a completely inaccurate and unfair statement for you to make.

Maybe Blazer's standards were higher for NE?

Fiin
09-01-2009, 09:43 PM

Why would he recommend lowering standards then?

KrazyKanadian
09-01-2009, 09:43 PM

Then why lower them for SEA?

FluSH
09-01-2009, 09:44 PM
^^^
For New England...

If I have 100 people I would expect more than if I had 50 or less... in fact I think Blazer mentioned something to that effect.

So Blazer is not settling for mediocracy in NE....

Fiin
09-01-2009, 09:44 PM

Totally dont agree with your last statement. The boys in KC at the stqart of the yr sounded excellent.

Fiin
09-01-2009, 09:45 PM
^^^
For New England...

If I have 100 people I would expect more than if I had 50 or less... in fact I think Blazer mentioned something to that effect.

So Blazer is not settling for mediocracy in NE....

I expect more from 50 supporters then 100 roadtrip drunks... thats just me though ;)

FluSH
09-01-2009, 09:46 PM
I expect more from 50 supporters then 100 roadtrip drunks... thats just me though ;)

Hey... I agree here.

Redpunkfiddle
09-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Totally dont agree with your last statement. The boys in KC at the stqart of the yr sounded excellent.

In KC we had closer to 100 people- in a 8-10K capacity ballpark. The configuration worked for us. As opposed to 50 in a 32 000 capacity stadium with much better organized support.

We also know that mike positioning impacts how things are heard on TV as opposed to what we hear in the stadium.

Roogsy
09-01-2009, 10:09 PM

I expect top effort from anyone going on trips regardless of size.

But those that do the calling out better be the ones leading and putting forth an effort. From my conversations with those on the trip, and from his own statement, Nomad did not do that.

You don't call somebody out unless you are doing everything you can yourself, that's just hypocritical. First you put up yourself, then you call everyone else out.

Nomad
09-01-2009, 10:10 PM
In KC we had closer to 100 people- in a 8-10K capacity ballpark. The configuration worked for us. As opposed to 50 in a 32 000 capacity stadium with much better organized support.

We also know that mike positioning impacts how things are heard on TV as opposed to what we hear in the stadium.

Configurations and mike positionings mean nothing, you're talking smoke screens here. Whether we have a great section or a shit one we control our own actions.

It's called a friendly rivalry or friendly jab... I am not writting a supporters thesis... and I am not sitting with a shrink talking about denying realities for my own purpose.... you're hilarious..

I'm all about rivalries and jabs be it friendly or not but i'll base those on reality. You have already said you'd deny it...you don't have to talk to a shrink about it, you've done it here for free.

I found nothing wrong with the video... in fact it was tame in my opinion. However what I do find wrong is that you are coming on here calling people out... We are are here trying to encourage people to go on roadtrips... to get the numbers and then teach the masses... You sound like you are talking down to people and that's not cool... You know what... you didn't like it that's fine... offer opinions on how to improve (and you actually did at first) but then you start calling people out? They just spent some serious cash on this trip... that's not how you encourage supporters to keep coming...

I not too big of a man to say i'm wrong which is why i took back a statement. I applaud people for coming out but showing up is not and will never be just good enough. I honestly don't feel i have called people out....they've called out themselves and i just pointed it out to them.

Yes it did...inside the stadium during gameplay in the 2nd half....not just outside the stadium. I did not march into the match and i left alone after the match.

barca99
09-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Great Video Parky! Went down from Kelowna, BC for this game with my brother and some buddies. Just wanted to say thanks to you in particular, and all the TFC fans, RPB's or NEE for their hospitality. We all had a great day and didn't feel out of place or anything hanging out with the Toronto fans. Sorry we didn't catch up with you guys Saturday night, but after the Mariners game we went to the Taphouse, but couldn't find anyone so we moved on. To anyone we "let down," I apologize, but I thought we did a pretty good job considering we were slightly outnumbered and I know the Seattle fans enjoyed our chants and songs, maybe we can be better next year. My only regret is that DD didn't get in at all, but hopefully you guys can send him off in style at the end of this season.

Take Care Boys!
Paul Freire,
Kelowna, BC

MG42
09-01-2009, 10:21 PM
great video Parkdale

Redpunkfiddle
09-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Configurations and mike positionings mean nothing, you're talking smoke screens here. Whether we have a great section or a shit one we control our own actions.

Yes it did...inside the stadium during gameplay in the 2nd half....not just outside the stadium. I did not march into the match and i left alone after the match.

It actually does mean something when it comes to how it was heard on TV, which is what I was responding to if you'd paid attention.

As to our actions being independent of how we are being heard on a broadcast, I'd agree.

Re: the Can you hear..... I am pretty ruthless about how this chant is used myself. But really, for those who did sing it there was one single run through of this one. Not even repeated.

I think it might help if you actually took advantage of meeting and discussing with people in person if you were into organization. Everyone knew where we were going to be.

FluSH
09-02-2009, 06:07 AM

I'm all about rivalries and jabs be it friendly or not but i'll base those on reality. You have already said you'd deny it...you don't have to talk to a shrink about it, you've done it here for free.

You want to be a funny man... well I going to make this clear to you.... You have no right coming on here and saying the shit you are saying... do you understand... and I'll tell you that for FREE also... If you have a problem with the supporting standards of a roadtrip I suggest you don't bring that shit here cause you are causing more harm than good.

I not too big of a man to say i'm wrong which is why i took back a statement. I applaud people for coming out but showing up is not and will never be just good enough. I honestly don't feel i have called people out....they've called out themselves and i just pointed it out to them.

I could care less how you feel... I'm telling you... You've called people out... You want to do that somewhere else fine... but you are not going to be doing that here as you are in NO position to do so.

Parkdale
09-02-2009, 07:13 AM

maybe it was one of those.... umm.... jokes? You know, when people don't take themselves so seriously that they forget how to enjoy things.

KrazyKanadian
09-02-2009, 08:15 AM
We've reached the point of diminishing returns in this thread. Here are a couple of in-game videos to entertain you during your morning coffee:

evUwY4MbxbM

1EEMwjzVnKs

The Professor
09-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Just back from the west coast. Great video Parkdale.
Several Sounders fans come up to me during half-time and after the game just to say they were glad we came all the way to Seattle or to tell us that we were the best away support they've seen. I'll take their kudos any day over some self-appointed supervisor who spends his time looking for flaws in the away team's performance instead of watching and enjoying the game on the field.

Parkdale
09-02-2009, 10:45 AM
^ wait.... we're supposed to enjoy ourselves?

Vancity RED
09-02-2009, 10:56 AM
:wink:
I did not march into the match and i left alone after the match.

Well, if your posts on this thread are any representation of your skills at making friends and influencing people, this hardly comes as a surprise.

So, in review, you made no effort at being part of the pre-game prep and did not bother marching with us to the match. You don't bother wearing team colours to the game cuz you're "not a marketing scheme". You leave alone and then have the balls to come on here and tell us how "very disappointed" you were with our level of support?

I would have much preferred if you would have had the balls to share your opinion in person after the game in Seattle.

Note: edited to keep things clean and friendly. :wink:

Blazer
09-02-2009, 11:06 AM

Nothing wrong with wanting to be better but you are equally as confused if you think 50 people should have sounded better in Seattle. 20,000 at BMO can do better sure, but let’s be realistic 4,000+ kms away from home. To me, showing up is more than enough.

“Pathetic” in NE was tongue and cheek. Far from the word I’ll concede but, whatever?! The effort was great but again, how could we sound good with 100 people?(rhetorical)

Blazer
09-02-2009, 11:09 AM

Indeed they sounded great, but they weren't contending with 30,000.

TFC Tifoso
09-02-2009, 11:14 AM
:wink:

Well, if your posts on this thread are any representation of your skills at making friends and influencing people, this hardly comes as a surprise.

So, in review, you made no effort at being part of the pre-game prep and did not bother marching with us to the match. You don't bother wearing team colours to the game cuz you're "not a marketing scheme". You leave alone and then have the balls to come on here and tell us how "very disappointed" you were with our level of support?

I would have much preferred if you would have had the balls to share your opinion in person after the game in Seattle.

Note: edited to keep things clean and friendly. :wink:

Yeah, marching before the game and leaving after I don't think has much to do with the support in the stands during the 90 minutes of the game...

FluSH
09-02-2009, 11:14 AM

And I have to agree here… you wanna be calling people out then you do it right there and then… and maybe things will turn around… or you go to the leaders of the respective groups and bring your concerns to them.

Blackandwhite is the only one who had some weight around here on calling people out… and the main reason is because he did it in person. However, even then I would tell him online to relax and tone it down. Now I am not going to encourage an all out blasting off at roadtrips when ever you feel it’s not up to par… because frankly that could lead to disaster… but Blackandwhite did a lot for our group in year 1… and he earned it. People who just have higher standards have NOT earned it.

Stouffville_RPB
09-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Great work as always. I feel like I was there.

It's good to know exactly what goes on in there (marching band, mic's, standing).

Nomad
09-02-2009, 11:34 AM
I have indeed earned everything i have said. I am not anonymous. I am not looking for validation on how high up the Supporters pole i am from anyone so that is just mere empty words.

You can tell me to relax and tone it down and that's fine. I am not a member of this group and can accept that i would have a shorter leash than paying RPB members. I've re-read this thread numerous times. I did not call out anyone or any group by name. I feel i've been quite civil in the face of nastiness in fact. I just have a difference of opinion.

I have seen nothing in the thread to dispute me. Just a lot of emotions, excuses and even some half truths.

I have seen you here come on and call people out and call out your section for their lack of support. When at home you can do what you like and i really don't have much weight to tell anyone in other sections what to do. But Away aren't we "All 4 One" in the stands or is that when it only serves your purpose? I feel completely justified in airing criticisms.

Bluenose13
09-02-2009, 11:44 AM
I have indeed earned everything i have said. I am not anonymous. I am not looking for validation on how high up the Supporters pole i am from anyone so that is just mere empty words.

You can tell me to relax and tone it down and that's fine. I am not a member of this group and can accept that i would have a shorter leash than paying RPB members. I've re-read this thread numerous times. I did not call out anyone or any group by name. I feel i've been quite civil in the face of nastiness in fact. I just have a difference of opinion.

I have seen nothing in the thread to dispute me. Just a lot of emotions, excuses and even some half truths.

I have seen you here come on and call people out and call out your section for their lack of support. When at home you can do what you like and i really don't have much weight to tell anyone in other sections what to do. But Away aren't we "All 4 One" in the stands or is that when it only serves your purpose? I feel completely justified in airing criticisms.You have done a wonderful job for supporter group unity & should be very proud of your efforts.

Parkdale
09-02-2009, 11:47 AM
]But Away aren't we "All 4 One" in the stands or is that when it only serves your purpose?

I always figured that wearing red was the most basic thing someone could do to represent that 'all 4 one' mantra.

Vancity RED
09-02-2009, 11:51 AM
99% percent of the time it's not what you say, but how you say it. Instead of:

"I was very disappointed with our level of support. We could not hold a chant for longer than a minute and there was long lapses where we had nothing going on. We (as in all supporters regardless of affiliation) need to make sure we have at least one capo on hand for every roadtrip. It would have made a world of difference."

How about something more like:

"It was fantastic to see so many away supporters make the trek down to Seattle. For an away game, very impressive. The one thing I'd like to see in the future, if possible, is a capo on hand for every road trip. There were a couple of times where I thought we may have been able to do better in holding chants for longer. There were also a few times where there were long lapses with nothing going - having a capo on hand might help us make things even better.

See you guys next road trip!"

IMHO, that basically gets the same point across without coming across as offensive.

Hopefully I can now get past this thread and move on with my life.

Bluenose13
09-02-2009, 11:56 AM

"It was fantastic to see so many away supporters make the trek down to Seattle. For an away game, very impressive. The one thing I'd like to see in the future, if possible, is a capo on hand for every road trip. There were a couple of times where I thought we may have been able to do better in holding chants for longer. There were also a few times where there were long lapses with nothing going - having a capo on hand might help us make things even better.

IMHO, that basically gets the same point across without coming across as offensive.

Hopefully I can now get past this thread and move on with my life.Ahhhh.......Big picture thinking!

What a different response this post would have had, to reflect on Seattle & help improve things going forward.

Nicely done!

FluSH
09-02-2009, 12:00 PM

Let me remind you that you are in the RED PATCH BOYS website. You have voluntarily come to OUR website... If you have earned knighthood elsewhere then I applaud your efforts.

But on here... you are the same as everyone else...

Rudi
09-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Damn, how did I miss this thread until now? :D

Redpunkfiddle
09-02-2009, 12:17 PM

I have seen you here come on and call people out and call out your section for their lack of support. When at home you can do what you like and i really don't have much weight to tell anyone in other sections what to do. But Away aren't we "All 4 One" in the stands or is that when it only serves your purpose? I feel completely justified in airing criticisms.

I already pointed out your comment about someone not "singing for ninety" earlier. You'd do well to admit you didn't know what you were talking about. It diminishes any point being made about the group effort.

Being organized is actually work. It is not about showing up and saying 'this suxs'. That is about as helpful as someone sitting on their hands for the whole game.

Parkdale
09-02-2009, 12:24 PM

yeah dude, don't you have an RSS feed of all the stupid thread?

hmm... calling the webmaster...

http://www.smashingapps.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/smashing-magazine-rss-icons-set.jpg

^ maybe if that top one was a toilet.... ?

Redpunkfiddle
09-02-2009, 12:37 PM

You spend too much time on the 'other' board. :D

olegunnar
09-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Ahhhh.......Big picture thinking!

What a different response this post would have had, to reflect on Seattle & help improve things going forward.

Nicely done!

It goes both ways though.

It's pretty commonly accepted that RPB "road trips" aren't exactly supporters trips.
The pre-game tailgates are more animated than the behaviour during the game. Then at the end when it's time for a group picture everyone comes to life, uncrosses their arms and runs to pose.

It is what it is. Although after the drama here after the NY 300...I find it a bit ironic that people are defending and now encouraging that sort of behaviour.

In any event no one normally comes here and offers constructive criticism, no one usually comes here and says TICO was right to come after you guys because your trips are more touristy than supporter.

So perhaps instead of the long build up of "we're the best, we're going to expose Seattle as frauds" followed by a "hey we did great" Maybe the more accurate and less inflamatory post/video would have been framed as such:

"It was a good time, Seattle is a great city, it's was great to see lots of new faces, but it was too bad we were so uncoordinated. Maybe next time we do this trip we'll reach out the the "membership" out west who never get to go to games and try and educate them on lyrics and songs and chants. Overall though it was a fun time and maybe something to build on."

You know...big picture thinking.

Roogsy
09-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Were you there olegunner?

Parkdale
09-02-2009, 12:56 PM
"It was a good time, Seattle is a great city, it's was great to see lots of new faces, but it was too bad we were so uncoordinated. Maybe next time we do this trip we'll reach out the the "membership" out west who never get to go to games and try and educate them on lyrics and songs and chants. Overall though it was a fun time and maybe something to build on."

so you were there? or that's just how you're interpreting things?

I think we did a decent job in the section. We were outnumbers by tens of thousands, and knew that we had to pick our moments to sing.

and again, it's very easy to call it 'very poor support' after the fact, instead of trying to improve it while it's happening.

Cashcleaner
09-02-2009, 12:57 PM

What thread?

Oh shit!! You mean this one! :D

Roogsy
09-02-2009, 12:58 PM
It's pretty commonly accepted that RPB "road trips" aren't exactly supporters trips.
The pre-game tailgates are more animated than the behaviour during the game. Then at the end when it's time for a group picture everyone comes to life, uncrosses their arms and runs to pose.

I've got a real big problem with this statement. I am not going to say anything further because I may break the very rules I am supposed to enforce. The hubris required to make this post is incredible.

FluSH
09-02-2009, 01:02 PM

It is what it is. Although after the drama here after the NY 300...I find it a bit ironic that people are defending and now encouraging that sort of behaviour.

Why do you keep coming here seriously? Don't you have better things to do?

Stop watching other man's moves... YOU DO YOU

We will do our own things... I'm not out there analyzing other SG members with a clipboard...

"pretty commonly accepted"? I've been on MANY RPB roadtrips... and I know what we do... you are nobody to tell me otherwise... If our members want to take a group photo... SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHAT? do your thing, but don't bring your bullshit to OUR website.

Parkdale
09-02-2009, 01:02 PM
I am not going to say anything further because I may break the very rules I am supposed to enforce.

you are the picture of self control. :canada:

FluSH
09-02-2009, 01:03 PM
I've got a real big problem with this statement. I am not going to say anything further because I may break the very rules I am supposed to enforce. The hubris required to make this post is incredible.

manure is coming out of his mouth... I have no idea what this guy even looks like... but apperantly he's stalking me taking group pictures...

KrazyKanadian
09-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Nothing wrong with wanting to be better but you are equally as confused if you think 50 people should have sounded better in Seattle. 20,000 at BMO can do better sure, but let’s be realistic 4,000+ kms away from home. To me, showing up is more than enough.

Why should distance matter? 10 kilometres or 10,000, the effort should be the same. If we all "just showed up" to Columbus, our 2,000 this year would have been pathetic. I have been on trips with half what we brought in Seattle, and we were much louder overall. I don't base our noise level in comparison with the home crowd, I base it on how loud we actually are. The Seattle crowd was good, but I think with some co-ordination across their sections, they could sound fantastic (no lyrics on the screens though, haha)

I don't understand this "you made it, so that's all you have to do" attitude I've been seeing in this thread. Home or away, there shouldn't be a difference in effort.

and again, it's very easy to call it 'very poor support' after the fact, instead of trying to improve it while it's happening.

We did try! Six of us in the upper rows went basically unnoticed, even though two of us there (the now infamous Nomad being one) were on seats and trying to get things going. The other one had his back to the field for a third of the game, trying to extend the chants for the people in the rows behind us.

Cashcleaner
09-02-2009, 01:04 PM

In any event no one normally comes here and offers constructive criticism, no one usually comes here and says TICO was right to come after you guys because your trips are more touristy than supporter.

So perhaps instead of the long build up of "we're the best, we're going to expose Seattle as frauds" followed by a "hey we did great" Maybe the more accurate and less inflamatory post/video would have been framed as such:

You know...big picture thinking.

Oh, so you've been to many RPB roadtrips? I can only assume so because your post certainly implies such.

Blazer
09-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Let me remind you that you are in the RED PATCH BOYS website. You have voluntarily come to OUR website... If you have earned knighthood elsewhere then I applaud your efforts.

But on here... you are the same as everyone else...

Flushy - if he has earned knighthood, then you my friend are the mighty holy deity and scepter holder of all that is wondrous here in RPB land!

Can I git a “Dis is my howse” up in ayer … :drum:

FluSH
09-02-2009, 01:09 PM
^^^
LOL

thanks for the laugh... but I'm trying to control myself after the crap that olegunner just posted...

I may need to log off for a bit...

Blazer
09-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Why should distance matter? 10 kilometres or 10,000, the effort should be the same. If we all "just showed up" to Columbus, our 2,000 this year would have been pathetic. I have been on trips with half what we brought in Seattle, and we were much louder overall. I don't base our noise level in comparison with the home crowd, I base it on how loud we actually are. The Seattle crowd was good, but I think with some co-ordination across their sections, they could sound fantastic (no lyrics on the screens though, haha)

I don't understand this "you made it, so that's all you have to do" attitude I've been seeing in this thread. Home or away, there shouldn't be a difference in effort.

We did try! Six of us in the upper rows went basically unnoticed, even though two of us there (the now infamous Nomad being one) were on seats and trying to get things going. The other one had his back to the field for a third of the game, trying to extend the chants for the people in the rows behind us.

Well then, you should have said so much earlier! Problem solved … you should be on every road trip for the rest of eternity!

Roogsy
09-02-2009, 01:12 PM
I just want to know one thing.

Did Nomad and Krazy Kanadian sing for the whole 90?

Yes or no.

Parkdale
09-02-2009, 01:14 PM
I don't think anyone sang for the whole 90.

I know that where I was, we specifically waited for the loud 'seattle-sounders'
chant to die down before starting one of our own. We couldn't out sing thousands,
so we decided to wait until there was a quiet part, and then go. If not, we never would have been heard.

(also, no drums, no real capo and no megaphone makes for a hard time singing)

Roogsy
09-02-2009, 01:18 PM
I see. So nobody sang for the whole 90, but now we have one of those who did not sing for the entire game demanding that others do the work for them?

That gets zero respect from me.

If you demand that someone go at it for the full 90, you'd better be the one leading the damn thing, otherwise, you should just shut your hole.

There is nothing I respect less than wanting other people to do the heavy lifting for you. I don't care if you are the only person singing the whole time, if you feel the audacity to minimize the efforts of others, your effort better be above reproach. You'd better be the shining example of what you want from others. Otherwise, it is the zenith of hypocrisy.

Parkdale
09-02-2009, 01:20 PM
I see. So nobody sang for the whole 90, but now ....

I'm not saying that 'no one sang for the whole 90'.

I'm just saying that at certain parts of the game, if anyone in red was singing, it would have been impossible to hear (we were right near the band and their north supporters group). Personally, I think that singing when it's effective is better than wasting energy when it's not going to be heard.

KrazyKanadian
09-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Well then, you should have said so much earlier! Problem solved … you should be on every road trip for the rest of eternity!

Ahh, thank you. I love directed sarcasm in what was still a civil difference of opinion.

I just want to know one thing.

Did Nomad and Krazy Kanadian sing for the whole 90?

Yes or no.

That's not a realistic question, but put it this way, my throat is still sore from Saturday's game.

The Professor
09-02-2009, 01:22 PM
I don't think anyone sang for the whole 90.

I know I had to stop a few times to drink more beer (something that a true supporter would never do!)

Parkdale
I just want to know one thing. Did Nomad and Krazy Kanadian....

.... but put it this way, my throat is still sore from Saturday.....

we need an out of context thread. hahaha.

* sorry KK, it was too funny to resist.

Roogsy
That's not a realistic question, but put it this way, my throat is still sore from Saturday's game.

And apparently so are other people's including the RPBs whose efforts were called into question.

The point is people do what they want and what they can, and nobody else should judge their efforts. And most definitely, nobody else should make demands that they themselves are not willing to step up and do. Period. End of story.

Parkdale
09-02-2009, 01:24 PM
I know I had to stop a few times to drink more beer (something that a true supporter would never do!)

a real supporter has circular breathing, like a really good trumpet player,
so you can inhale (or drink beer) while continuing to belt out the tunes.

v00d00daddy
09-02-2009, 01:26 PM
99% percent of the time it's not what you say, but how you say it. Instead of:

"I was very disappointed with our level of support. We could not hold a chant for longer than a minute and there was long lapses where we had nothing going on. We (as in all supporters regardless of affiliation) need to make sure we have at least one capo on hand for every roadtrip. It would have made a world of difference."

Hopefully I can now get past this thread and move on with my life.

Read this whole thread and I think this poster hits the nail on the head.

I've never been to an RPB roadtrip so I can't comment on how it was or is. I've gone on road trips to support TFC and my experiences have been mixed. I think it's safe to say that you'll never please everyone. I just don't get the point of expecting this and that from other supporters. Do whatever makes you happy, as long as you're not shitting on other peoples experiences.

I hate this idea that "support" has to look one way or the other. Live and let live people.

One thing I will say is that I think the responses to the "offensive" posts could have been a little less combatitive as well.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Pigfynn
09-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Do any of you realize how ridiculous it is to question the support of anyone who flew on a plane for 5 hours to see a football team that has struggled to play even borderline attractive football for 3 years?

Really people...this is a sad, sad argument.

Anyone who was there and sang for their team at all went the extra mile compared to me who was watching with RPB in KW.

This is a lousy dick measuring thread and it's divisive and stupid.

IMO

Parkdale
09-02-2009, 01:28 PM
^ another good post. there are some level heads out there.

*directed at voodoodaddy, but pigfyn got in there first.

v00d00daddy
The point is people do what they want and what they can, and nobody else should judge their efforts.

Well put Roogsy.

Redpunkfiddle

Sure, there were people coming out for the trip who weren't committed to singing. A bunch of them sat nicely in the section next to us- fine for that (at least they wore red). That's nice but I think most people here agree that is not the limit of the impact we want to have on the road.

Sounds like there were also some dead spots up top and good on you for trying to deal with it. I think this shows that the same kind of issues we deal with back home even in 112 apply on the road- best dealt with capo at the front, and point people 'passing' it along in the middle and top.

Parkdale
09-02-2009, 01:29 PM
I think it's safe to say that you'll never please everyone.

for some people, it's just Never Ever Enough

The Professor
09-02-2009, 01:30 PM
like a really good trumpet player.

... using a flagpole?

KrazyKanadian
09-02-2009, 01:31 PM
we need an out of context thread. hahaha.

* sorry KK, it was too funny to resist.

Hahaha, you jerk.

And apparently so are other people's including the RPBs whose efforts were called into question.

If you think this is some sort of "the other group" vs RPB, it's not. This forum happens to be the most popular TFC supporters forum, which does include a lot of non-RPBs, many of which were on the trip. The entire group in Seattle, regardless of affiliation or shirt colour, should and could have done better. I have been with many trips with you, and you know how we can bring it so much better. Settling for "showing up" shouldn't be any of our attitudes if we really want to continue improving ourselves.

Nomad
09-02-2009, 01:34 PM
The point is people do what they want and what they can, and nobody else should judge their efforts. And most definitely, nobody else should make demands that they themselves are not willing to step up and do. Period. End of story.

I don't agree with the first statement. People come on here, including posters in this very thread, and do that all the time.

As for the second, we started many chants only to see them fizzle after 2 go arounds or not joined at all. Then we said fuck it and did a 5 minute Horto. :D:D

I've pm'ed a few people in this thread so i'm going to leave it at that and see myself out of this thread. Emotions are high and this conversation is gettiing nastier by the minute. I do consider this dialogue open for discussion in person or at a later date. I think it's an important one.

Roogsy
Encouraging people to improve is one thing.

Calling them out is another.

If you can't encourage someone to improve productively, you are actually hindering progress. Better to be quiet and lead by example rather than put down the efforts, however minimum you feel, of others.

Bluenose13
Do any of you realize how ridiculous it is to question the support of anyone who flew on a plane for 5 hours to see a football team that has struggled to play even borderline attractive football for 3 years?

Really people...this is a sad, sad argument.

Anyone who was there and sang for their team at all went the extra mile compared to me who was watching with RPB in KW.

This is a lousy dick measuring thread and it's divisive and stupid.

IMOBest post in this thread by far.

H Bomb
09-02-2009, 01:38 PM
one thing that should be noted, I wasnt there and muted my tv so I've no idea about this specific thing at all. But often many of the loudest, most rawkus fans are of a certain age, and to be honest, a certain financial situation. And while some young poor folks may have been in Seattle, most probably werent in that category. this may not have had anything to do with it, but if you can drive there, the noise will probably be bigger/better

also this thread is kinda dumb....not the video (might be havent watched yet ;)) but not much useful info has come up

Parkdale
09-02-2009, 01:39 PM
yeah, so I think this thread has burned enough fuel, and it's time to be put out.

it's starting to get a bit nastier than it should be. I'm going to close the thread,
and hope that one lesson sits in: There's positive criticism and negative criticism.
Change rarely comes from negative criticism, and we'll leave it at that.

could we have done better in Seattle? Hell yes. We should improve all the time.
was our showing in seattle a 'fail' (or a failure if you don't use net-speak) - nope.