08-31-2009, 01:51 AM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12961_5494990,00.html

boban
08-31-2009, 06:22 AM
This story is about 2 weeks old.
Nice read though ;)

Beach_Red
08-31-2009, 04:13 PM
So what's going on, has he signed with anybody yet?

WHITEY
08-31-2009, 04:15 PM
Seems like his brother is getting more interest than him.

Blizzard
08-31-2009, 05:20 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12961_5494990,00.html

I had heard that the deal would have been done weeks ago but for the tragic death of the team's captain. You might recall that he died in his hotel, after a training session, while speaking on the telephone with his girlfriend.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11842_5481074,00%20en-GBS_0FSBC.html

The club put JDG on the back burner while they tried to get over their loss.

Billy the kid
09-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Neue Presse has free agent Canada star Julian de Guzmán closest to joining Hannover 96, with PSV Eindhoven and Stuttgart also interested...

http://www.soccer365.com/english_premiership/story_31809153352.php

wzhxvy
09-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Yeah for how much and for how long...I cant wait to hear about this spectacular contract that JDG is about to sign

Ageroo
09-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Yeah for how much and for how long...I cant wait to hear about this spectacular contract that JDG is about to sign

Where is your sarcastic rolly-eyes emoticon on your comment.....:D

wzhxvy
09-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Emoticons take effort :-) But I am seriously curious...

Red CB Toronto
09-03-2009, 12:56 PM
I have complete respect for him wanting to remain in Europe, with interest from various clubs why would he not. Until he has the European experience out of his system, he should not think about signing in the MLS, because it could some with quite a few what ifs lingering in his mind. Best of luck wherever he shall land.

Shakes McQueen
09-03-2009, 02:04 PM
I have complete respect for him wanting to remain in Europe, with interest from various clubs why would he not. Until he has the European experience out of his system, he should not think about signing in the MLS, because it could some with quite a few what ifs lingering in his mind. Best of luck wherever he shall land.

Respect doesn't really enter the equation with me. I respect him either way, because he's Canadian, and he plays a high level of football.

However, it will be disappointing if he seriously passed up the chance to play for us for more money, in order to be a bench player for a mid-table side in Europe. If he lands a starting gig for a good side, then good on him.

- Scott

poppamidnight
09-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Hey hey hey,
Let's not discount the fact many people prefer the year-round head to our 4-month winters...

Not saying I'd consider moving out of Canada,
Just that I've lived in Vancouver and Toronto, and I could see some of the non-soccer reasons JDG might want to stay in Spain (Snow/Cold of Canada; Spanish Girls)

And for real...since when did some of your opinions jump to MLS being such a high-caliber league? Wasn't last year the year of complaints about how mickey-mouse this league still was?
...really? Did 1 year change it that much?

It's still night/day when watching matches...
If you doubt it just Tivo a EPL or La Liga game and the next TFC game this weekend.
Then watch a mere 5 minutes...
5 minutes is all that's needed to show skill difference... Ball handling/passing alone shows it

Stop insulting JDG by voicing your hope that he'd sell his soccer soul to the highest bidder.
We pride ourselves in no whoring out our athletes in this country

Pachuco
09-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Respect doesn't really enter the equation with me. I respect him either way, because he's Canadian, and he plays a high level of football.

However, it will be disappointing if he seriously passed up the chance to play for us for more money, in order to be a bench player for a mid-table side in Europe. If he lands a starting gig for a good side, then good on him.

- Scott

You may be dissapointed that he didn't come here, but you can't possibly say it's the wrong move. The guy wants to play at the highest level possible, EVEN if it's for less money and even if it means he won't get as many minutes as he would here. That's class in my opinion.

Super
09-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Staying in Europe is the right AND the wrong move. I'm sure in 4-5 years from now we'll be able to look back and say that he should have done this or that, but things move fast in football, and should he sign with the likes of PSV and do well, he could be on his way to a much bigger club with bigger cash as well - bigger than we'd ever offer him.

wzhxvy
09-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Lets remember he is 28 and not 21...anyways to each his own, different opinions, I am of the opinion that time will show his decision to be a very bad one...I hope for his sake I am wrong. Btw, I think he is awesome, respect him as a footballer and wish him all the best...doesnt mean I dont think he lost his marbles on this one.

Shakes McQueen
09-03-2009, 03:59 PM
You may be dissapointed that he didn't come here, but you can't possibly say it's the wrong move. The guy wants to play at the highest level possible, EVEN if it's for less money and even if it means he won't get as many minutes as he would here. That's class in my opinion.

If he get's buried on the bench somewhere, then I can absolutely say I personally think it's the wrong move. And you can disagree with me.

Opting to stay in Europe for less money is admirable, I agree. But opting for less money to not play much, but be able to say "hey, I'm still technically playing football in Europe" - I think you can make an argument that such a move might not make sense.

I'd respect him just as much if he came here, and helped raise the quality of play on our team.

- Scott

[NBF]
09-03-2009, 09:47 PM
If JDG signs for an European team, its in his best interest as a player to be playing 10 months out of the year. period.

As far as money goes he would be making just as much as he would make if he were to sign with MLS or TFC, because the EURO exchange is twice as much as in the U.S.A. and 3 times as much in Canada.

If I had the choice to work in Canada or Europe, I would pick Europe, because the EURO is a heck of a lot stronger than Canadian currency.

Roogsy
09-03-2009, 09:50 PM
;700356']If JDG signs for an European team, its in his best interest as a player to be playing 10 months out of the year. period.

As far as money goes he would be making just as much as he would make if he were to sign with MLS or TFC, because the EURO exchange is twice as much as in the U.S.A. and 3 times as much in Canada.

If I had the choice to work in Canada or Europe, I would pick Europe, because the EURO is a heck of a lot stronger than Canadian currency.

It hasn't been this year. And projections don't seem to agree with this forecast. You are making the usual mistake of looking at the difference in denominations of value.

That's like making the statement that the Pound is stronger than the Euro just beacuse of the same factor. No way is that even close to being true.

And your statement's biggest problem is that MLS players don't get paid in C$ so it's not even a relevant point.

Dirk Diggler
09-03-2009, 11:45 PM
It hasn't been this year. And projections don't seem to agree with this forecast. You are making the usual mistake of looking at the difference in denominations of value.

That's like making the statement that the Pound is stronger than the Euro just beacuse of the same factor. No way is that even close to being true.

And your statement's biggest problem is that MLS players don't get paid in C$ so it's not even a relevant point.

Yeah ... the value of the currency should be largely irrelevant ... if that were a factor than no one would ever want to work in Japan and most people would be heading towards Kuwait or a similar country.

Shep
09-03-2009, 11:55 PM
I had heard that the deal would have been done weeks ago but for the tragic death of the team's captain. You might recall that he died in his hotel, after a training session, while speaking on the telephone with his girlfriend.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11842_5481074,00%20en-GBS_0FSBC.html

The club put JDG on the back burner while they tried to get over their loss.

Man, that story gets me sad. She was 8 months pregnant too... just terrible. Shit like that shouldn't happen.

Technorgasm
09-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Could have used him at qwest

is it too late in the season for him to have a legitimate impact?

brad
09-04-2009, 07:37 AM
If he get's buried on the bench somewhere, then I can absolutely say I personally think it's the wrong move. And you can disagree with me.

Opting to stay in Europe for less money is admirable, I agree. But opting for less money to not play much, but be able to say "hey, I'm still technically playing football in Europe" - I think you can make an argument that such a move might not make sense.
- Scott

Who says he's going to sign a contract to sit on the bench? Do you think he is thinking that way? Do you think JDG is saying - "oh man, I hope I can sign a contract and ride the pines, cause Spain is so nice"?

Hell no. He's a competitor. He's going to sign a contract and do everything he can to force his way into the first team week in/week out. If he ends up sitting on the bench it will be because he's not good enough, off form, doesn't fit their system, ect.

brad
09-04-2009, 07:40 AM
Could have used him at qwest

is it too late in the season for him to have a legitimate impact?

Agreed, and no, it's not too late. We wouldn't see the best out of him, but it's hard to imagine is ability, plus his experience playing in big matches would not have an impact.

TBH, his biggest impact could be in the Galaxy game, as he is a player you could park on Beckham to take him out of the game.

Fort York Redcoat
09-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Agreed, and no, it's not too late. We wouldn't see the best out of him, but it's hard to imagine is ability, plus his experience playing in big matches would not have an impact.

TBH, his biggest impact could be in the Galaxy game, as he is a player you could park on Beckham to take him out of the game.

^Agreed but players that cost less than JDG have been shutting Becks down in this year.

I'm still thinking I'd love to see JDG in red but won't spite him for staying abroad for better competition.

Blizzard
09-04-2009, 10:12 AM
^Agreed but players that cost less than JDG have been shutting Becks down in this year.

I'm still thinking I'd love to see JDG in red but won't spite him for staying abroad for better competition.

Well the longer this soap opera continues, I can't help but wonder if we could see him in TFC red sooner rather than later.

Pachuco
09-04-2009, 10:39 AM

I'd respect him just as much if he came here, and helped raise the quality of play on our team.

- Scott

Absolutely it would be the wrong move if he doesn't see any playing time. But it's easy for us to judge the move after the fact.

Do you really think he'd be staying in Europe so he can say "hey, I'm still technically playing football in Europe"? of course not. He's there with the mentality that he'll beat out whoever he needs to at his position and that he'll be a starting midfielder on that team. If it works out then great, if it doesn't, I don't think you can blame him for trying to play at the highest level.

Pachuco
09-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Didn't see anyone else post this...

http://www.soccer365.com/english_premiership/story_31809153352.php

Neue Presse has free agent Canada star Julian de Guzmán closest to joining Hannover 96, with PSV Eindhoven and Stuttgart also interested...

Derko
09-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Good to hear he signed with a European Club, The typical drama that has surrounded JDG is a bit of much, but it always is when we are dealing with quality player, no matter where they come from. Good Luck JDG

Dirk Diggler
09-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Good to hear he signed with a European Club, The typical drama that has surrounded JDG is a bit of much, but it always is when we are dealing with quality player, no matter where they come from. Good Luck JDG

What club did he sign with?

neuf
09-04-2009, 05:35 PM
http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2009/09/04/25128.aspx

wtf?

werewolf
09-04-2009, 05:38 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=16990