PDA

View Full Version : TFC vs Colorado It's simple

RedsYNWA
08-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Season making back to back game for both teams
TFC take 6 points we are in the playoffs ,4 points we get the last spot for the playoffs
3 points or less= Ciao

Pookie
08-30-2009, 08:01 AM
It's not quite that simple.

Your playoffs unfold like this (games remaining in brackets, * are conference leaders):

* Houston - 40 (6)
* Columbus - 39 (9)
* Chicago - 38 (6)
* LA - 38 (6)
Seattle - 34 (6)
New England 33 (9)
RSL 33 (6)
Chivas 33 (8)

-- out of the playoffs --

DC - 32 (7)
Toronto 31 (7)
Colorado 30 (9)

... so, yes it's simple in that Toronto needs 6 points from Colorado to get into a position and get ahead of the Rapids, who have 2 games in hand. It is also critical to keep RSL within 3 points as we play them in October.

But to grab 6 points doesn't guarantee a spot. Way too many permutations and combinations here to make a call.

ensco
08-30-2009, 08:07 AM
We're not in good shape, even if we sweep Colorado we have a lot more to do.

All those of you satisfied with the result yesterday....

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/MLS/East/TorontoFC.html

the odds of TFC making the playoffs went down, from 32% to 26%, with the draw

wzhxvy
08-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Ahhh....this sucks starting to get that same feeling as I did last year...

ensco
08-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Ahhh....this sucks starting to get that same feeling as I did last year...

+1. It's Groundhog Day.

It's Carver's tactics all over again. Cummins finishes the game with two unused subs with our guys clearly tired and getting pressed, so that he can protect a draw that really hurts us.

VPjr
08-30-2009, 10:27 AM
4 points won't be enough to guarantee the playoffs. 6 points would have the team sitting prettier than they are now.

I agree that 3 points = no playoff ticket purchases for TFC fans.

Roogsy
08-30-2009, 11:05 AM
I don't care which teams we do it against, but the plain math is that we need 3 more wins from the remaining games. Whether it be Colorado or not.

VPjr
08-30-2009, 11:06 AM
^ 3 wins and at least 1 tie are what will be needed, minimum. I don't think 40 points will get the job done this year. 41 or 42 is more likely the magic number.

Roogsy
08-30-2009, 11:09 AM
I agree. I've been saying it for weeks. When we had 10 games left, I said a record of 4-4-2 is needed.

Since then we've been 1-1-1 which means we need 3-3-1 the remaining 7 games. That is a lofty record for this team the way they are playing right now.

Pookie
08-30-2009, 11:17 AM
I don't care which teams we do it against, but the plain math is that we need 3 more wins from the remaining games. Whether it be Colorado or not.

The issue with Colorado is that if we drop 2 games to them... we give them 6 points. A loss and a draw are also not acceptable as that gives them a 2 point lead on us (assuming they lose today).

Don't forget too that MLS uses the head to head record as the first tie breaker. A loss and a draw give Colorado the tie breaker.

So, while I agree that 3 more wins would be a good thing... at least one of those wins has to come against Colorado.

Roogsy
08-30-2009, 11:46 AM
From a probability point of view, if we're going to get 3 wins, one of them should likely be against Colorado.

But even if we get 1 draw and 1 loss, so long as we dominate the other games and get the results I stated, while Colorado may also get into the playoffs, we will likely as well.

Of course, without results against Colorado, it gets that much harder. But 42 points is the magical number, whether or not Colorado also reached that or more is irrelevant.

Suds
08-30-2009, 11:59 AM
What's concerning is that the percentage chance of us making the playoffs has been on a downward trend since week 2 of the season. That tells me we need a complete turn-around from our current course. We need to get all 6 from CO.

rocker
08-30-2009, 12:04 PM
3 wins at home is not out of the question.

Shakes McQueen
08-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Sanyang, Atakora, and Gomez have shown more than enough to prove that they should be starters down the stretch, and if Cummins recognizes that, I don't think taking all 9pts at home is out of the question.

Now they just need to prove that their performance yesterday was an upward trend, as opposed to our usual inconsistency. Seriously, we play like yesterday every game, and this team could be top-four in the league.

- Scott

S_D
08-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Shakes love your optimism, but if we play like yesterday, we are not in the playoffs. You can't score, you don't win, you don't make subs when your team is gassed, you don't win. The team needs a killer instinct, and Cummins needs to start managing the game.

And as I mentioned in today's news, I think the critical games will be who loses points to the bottom feeders that have no chance to make the playoffs.

Roogsy
08-30-2009, 12:37 PM
3 wins at home is not out of the question.

Nothing is "out of the question"...what we are talking about is what is likely.

When was the last time Toronto won 3 straight home games?

Shakes McQueen
08-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Shakes love your optimism, but if we play like yesterday, we are not in the playoffs. You can't score, you don't win, you don't make subs when your team is gassed, you don't win. The team needs a killer instinct, and Cummins needs to start managing the game.

And as I mentioned in today's news, I think the critical games will be who loses points to the bottom feeders that have no chance to make the playoffs.

Well, obviously the one difference is that we would need to be able to finish the sitters we had yesterday - you can't win games without scoring at least one goal. :D

And yes, Cummins needs to do better. I've said before that I hope he isn't back as head coach next season, and he continues to vindicate my position.

But everything else was 1000% better than in LA last week. We controlled the play for the entire first 45 minutes, on the road, in a building that has been a fortress for the Sounders this season. The second half still had some good chances for us. I agree that we looked gassed, but again... I put that on Cummins.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
08-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Nothing is "out of the question"...what we are talking about is what is likely.

When was the last time Toronto won 3 straight home games?

I will always remember going in to that game versus Montreal, when everyone was saying "come on, when's the last time we even scored four goals in a game". :D

All three of our home matches are against very beatable teams, so I think it's very possible that we could get 9 points.

And given how inconsistent we can be, I don't think you can judge what is "likely" either way.

- Scott

Blizzard
08-30-2009, 12:45 PM
^ 3 wins and at least 1 tie are what will be needed, minimum. I don't think 40 points will get the job done this year. 41 or 42 is more likely the magic number.

Cummins himself had said a they were looking at twelve points as the required number. If we subtract the draw last night, Cummins is looking at 11 points from the remaining seven games, three of which are at home and with one road game in New York against the truly terrible Red Bulls (although they shouldn't be underestimated as they have played a bit better since their coaching change.)

I don't think anybody is under any illusions regarding what it's going to take.

ensco
08-30-2009, 01:21 PM

If you look at the sportclubstats site above, 3 wins and a draw is probably not enough. There's less than a 20% chance that we get in if that's what we get.

At 42 points it's a 50/50 bet.

We need 43 points to control our own destiny.

Our situation is pretty dire. We need 4 wins.

TFCtoMUFC
08-30-2009, 02:01 PM
It's not quite that simple.

Your playoffs unfold like this (games remaining in brackets, * are conference leaders):

* Houston - 40 (6)
* Columbus - 39 (9)
* Chicago - 38 (6)
* LA - 38 (6)
Seattle - 34 (6)
New England 33 (9)
RSL 33 (6)
Chivas 33 (8)

DC - 32 (7)
Toronto 31 (7)
Colorado 30 (9)

... so, yes it's simple in that Toronto needs 6 points from Colorado to get into a position and get ahead of the Rapids, who have 2 games in hand. It is also critical to keep RSL within 3 points as we play them in October.

But to grab 6 points doesn't guarantee a spot. Way too many permutations and combinations here to make a call.

I think we will make it in and RSL or Seattle wont. We need to string a few wins together.

Roogsy
08-30-2009, 05:29 PM
I will always remember going in to that game versus Montreal, when everyone was saying "come on, when's the last time we even scored four goals in a game". :D

All three of our home matches are against very beatable teams, so I think it's very possible that we could get 9 points.

And given how inconsistent we can be, I don't think you can judge what is "likely" either way.

- Scott

I already qualified my statement with my experience about Montreal. But like I said, how likely is it for lightning to strike twice?

Use your logic instead of your heart Scott and answer the question. When was the last time Toronto won 3 home games in a row?

I hope they do it. But I won't bet my RRSPs on it let's just put it that way.

Pookie
08-30-2009, 05:55 PM
I think we need to throw out points predictions and whether we can grab points at home. The fact of the matter is that we need points AND we need those points to come from beating certain teams.

We cannot lose to Colorado and RSL... period. The reason is that we have very little advantage if it came down to a tie breaker. Given how close the standings are, it is quite possible to end up tied.

Here are the standings (updated with Colorado's win)

* Houston - 40 (5)
* Columbus - 39 (9)
* Chicago - 38 (6)
* LA - 38 (6)
Seattle - 34 (6)
New England 33 (9)
RSL 33 (6)
Colorado 33 (8)

Chivas 33 (8)
DC - 32 (7)
Toronto 31 (7)

Remember that the tiebreaker is head to head record, then goal differential.

Here's our record vs the teams in the mix

Seattle 0-1-1 no games left - advantage Seattle
New England 1-0-1 no games left - advantage Toronto
RSL 0-1-0 1 game left - advantage RSL but RSL wins on goal differential
Colorado 0-0-0 2 games left - no advantage but Colorado wins on goal differential
Chivas 1-1-0 no games left - no advantage but Chivas wins on goal differnital
DC United 1-0-1 - no games left - advantage Toronto

Of the 6 teams in the hunt chasing the same 4 playoffs spots, we have an advantage over just 2 of them.

Forget total points, it is absolutely critical for us to win and draw vs Colorado at a minimum. It is equally critical to beat RSL to give ourselves a chance to win on goal differential.

Shakes McQueen
08-30-2009, 06:17 PM
I already qualified my statement with my experience about Montreal. But like I said, how likely is it for lightning to strike twice?

Use your logic instead of your heart Scott and answer the question. When was the last time Toronto won 3 home games in a row?

I hope they do it. But I won't bet my RRSPs on it let's just put it that way.

Neither would I, but we aren't. And hey, maybe we don't win all three, but maybe we get an unexpected win on the road instead. Who knows. It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be three wins in a row - we are just assuming the three home games are our best chances at wins.

- Scott

Redpunkfiddle
08-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Re: Tiebreakers- don't forget that if more than 2 teams are tied (also a distinct possibility) then the tiebreaker is the most points per game (average) amongst all the teams involved.

Yohan
08-30-2009, 11:29 PM
let this thread continue as the pre match thread?

Colorado suffers from jekyl and hyde syndrome

other than Cummings and Casey, they don't have much of scoring threat. however, shouldn't be underestimated, esp at high altitude field in Denver

twistedchinaman
08-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Let's make this painfully simple.

W.
I.
N.

There. Anything less is not acceptable.

Yohan
08-31-2009, 12:20 AM
Formation I'd like to see

------------Frei
Attakora-Garcia-Gomez-Serioux
-----------Sanyang
-Wynne----Cronin----Brennan
---------DeRosario
--------------Barrett

Subs
Edwards
Feilinga
Gala
Robinson
White
Dichio
Vitti
Gerba

-A lot of positives out of DeRo/Barrett pairing, esp in first half vs Seattle.
-I think vs Seattle was one of best defensive displays all season. Sure, there were mistakes, but compared to a lot of TFC games on the road, the defence was solid
-I still think Brennan is a better LW than LB. I hate to put Serioux at LB, but he's a better choice than unproven Feilinga
-Sanyang deserves another start after putting in a good game. Robbo should earn his spot back, considering how crappy he's been lately.
-A lot of options available for Cummins. Dichio and Gerba for direct approach. Vitti for flair. White for pace

twistedchinaman
08-31-2009, 12:22 AM
Starting with Gerba should be tried. Pref. with Vitti and/or Barrett?

We need early pressure like we did in Seattle, put them on the back foot. Let Sanyang loose amongst the Crapids, get them flustered, and then attack.

Defence was mad good -- repeat please!

COME ON YOU REDS FOR THOSE THREE POINTS!!!!

jloome
08-31-2009, 01:01 AM
Garcia did well against Seattle, but I wouldn't want to match him up against Cummings and Casey. Tough to say; they got a lot of help from having Sanyang in there.

------------Frei---------------
Wynne--Attakora--Gomez--Brennan
----------Sanyang
------Guevara--Cronin---------
---DeRo---Gerba----Barrett

Ossington Mental Youth
08-31-2009, 04:23 AM
im definitely in favor of benching Robbo as well as starting Gerba, im a bit surprised we havent seen more of him, he certainly showed himself ot be effective (or at least wiley) on the field when he came on

DangerRed
08-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Have you guys seen the table? All the teams contending for the spots are soo close to one another. Anything could happen. We need an four-win equivalent to cement our place, at least according to Cummins, who made that prediction last week.

Since then, we've earned 1 point. Seven games remain.

That means we need three more wins and two more draws to make his target. That, or just four outright wins. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is that unless a new and very improved TFC starts taking to the field every week, our chances are dwindling fast.

ensco
08-31-2009, 10:31 AM
Given the weekends results, which could not have been worse for us, Cummins' target of 42 points is not like to be enough. Even 43 is not a sure thing.

rocker
08-31-2009, 10:57 AM
Given the weekends results, which could not have been worse for us, Cummins' target of 42 points is not like to be enough. Even 43 is not a sure thing.

although teams in the race play each other...

so 42 is prob enough for somebody.

Roogsy
08-31-2009, 11:02 AM
If the team makes 42 points and still does not make the playoffs, I don't think you can blame them, that's just bad luck.

But if they fall short of 40 points then they have done it to themselves and need to be held accountable.

Big Bruva
08-31-2009, 11:16 AM
A bit of a piss off coz the boys were most likely going into the game thinking we would take a point but then maybe noticed how much of the ball they had and the quality of chances they had and were most likely pissed at themselves that they didnt get all three but its gone.

I was talking to Omar Cummings yesterday who has been playing very well for the Rapids and im hoping Adrian is playing and marks him coz he is on a high right now and im not sure Garcia etc will be up for the challenge.

Need to grab a win against the Rapids in the next 2 games for sure.

hodgkiss
08-31-2009, 11:25 AM
i would like to see more forwards (better forwards) in positions that makes sense. such as ali gerba being more of a a withdrawn striker if someone can put down balls to him, he can crack it from 20-30 yards out. he just needs to hit the net.

i would like to see:

----------------------frei---------------------

attakora-----serioux----gomez----brennan

--------------sanyang----dero--------------

vitti------------------gerba--------------gala

----------------------barrett------------------

this gives us a pretty solid back line, some good control in the middle and gives us options with wingers and strikers. i'm sorry but if we need goals, we need an all out attack. guys who can provide service to the forwards, guys who can run with the ball and strikers that can hit the ball.

this is the best line up that i can think of that will provide that kind of attack.

if barret doesn't work out, put in dichio. if gala doesn't work out, put cronin where dero is and let dero take galas spot. if vitti doesnt work out, put marvell there. if gerba doesn't work out, put white in.

this just makes so much sense to me. quit messing around and start the attacking team. all out war!

Darlofletch
08-31-2009, 11:27 AM
A bit of a piss off coz the boys were most likely going into the game thinking we would take a point but then maybe noticed how much of the ball they had and the quality of chances they had and were most likely pissed at themselves that they didnt get all three but its gone.

I was talking to Omar Cummings yesterday who has been playing very well for the Rapids and im hoping Adrian is playing and marks him coz he is on a high right now and im not sure Garcia etc will be up for the challenge.

Need to grab a win against the Rapids in the next 2 games for sure.

yeah, hopefully Serioux will slip back into the starting line up. The defence looked fairly solid against Seattle, and it'd be a bit harsh on garcia, who looked good when surrounded by good defenders instead of having to deal with Wynne's messes, but Serioux's got to get his place back.

if we're going 4 at the back I'd go attakora, serioux, gomez, brennan. and sanyang as the dm, that's a very solid defensive unit, that has the pace to get back and clear up mistakes if they happen.

or go with a similar line up to the d.c. game, attakora serioux and gomex, with brennan and Cronin as wing backs and sanyang at dm.

ensco
08-31-2009, 11:55 AM
If the team makes 42 points and still does not make the playoffs, I don't think you can blame them, that's just bad luck.

But if they fall short of 40 points then they have done it to themselves and need to be held accountable.

To each his own. I'm not interested in bad-luck-related storytelling, Mo will be peddling lots of this I'm sure.

Pookie
08-31-2009, 12:05 PM
To each his own. I'm not interested in bad-luck-related storytelling, Mo will be peddling lots of this I'm sure.

Agreed.

If we fall short of 40, there are plenty of stories to tell. Such as the one about the red card while leading 1-0 on the road in New England. Or the pissing away of a 2-1 lead in Columbus. Or the recent 11 shots, 1 on goal display against Seattle.

Lots of stories, not one of them is related to bad luck.

Big Bruva
08-31-2009, 12:07 PM
yeah, hopefully Serioux will slip back into the starting line up. The defence looked fairly solid against Seattle, and it'd be a bit harsh on garcia, who looked good when surrounded by good defenders instead of having to deal with Wynne's messes, but Serioux's got to get his place back.

if we're going 4 at the back I'd go attakora, serioux, gomez, brennan. and sanyang as the dm, that's a very solid defensive unit, that has the pace to get back and clear up mistakes if they happen.

or go with a similar line up to the d.c. game, attakora serioux and gomex, with brennan and Cronin as wing backs and sanyang at dm.

Ya mate that could very well do it.

I think Nana and Adrian will be key in this match.

maninb
08-31-2009, 12:07 PM
i would like to see more forwards (better forwards) in positions that makes sense. such as ali gerba being more of a a withdrawn striker if someone can put down balls to him, he can crack it from 20-30 yards out. he just needs to hit the net.

i would like to see:

----------------------frei---------------------

attakora-----serioux----gomez----brennan

--------------sanyang----dero--------------

vitti------------------gerba--------------gala

----------------------barrett------------------

this gives us a pretty solid back line, some good control in the middle and gives us options with wingers and strikers. i'm sorry but if we need goals, we need an all out attack. guys who can provide service to the forwards, guys who can run with the ball and strikers that can hit the ball.

this is the best line up that i can think of that will provide that kind of attack.

if barret doesn't work out, put in dichio. if gala doesn't work out, put cronin where dero is and let dero take galas spot. if vitti doesnt work out, put marvell there. if gerba doesn't work out, put white in.

this just makes so much sense to me. quit messing around and start the attacking team. all out war!

Seriously dude...you start Gala instead of Cronin????? LOL! And have DeRo as a defensive midfielder???? I'll give you points for originality but for football tactics ya get a failing grade...

hodgkiss
08-31-2009, 03:56 PM
Seriously dude...you start Gala instead of Cronin????? LOL! And have DeRo as a defensive midfielder???? I'll give you points for originality but for football tactics ya get a failing grade...

u don't get it... there wouldn't be much of a defensive midfield. this is an all out attack - one that has a good back line but pretty much all offensive ahead of that. dero would be free to move the ball forward either running straight at goal or taking it up the wing on the left side.

it leaves good subs on the bench (to actually use) when the job is not getting done on the pitch.

WE NEED GOALS - GOTTA PUT LOTS OF PEOPLE ON WHO CAN!

Yohan
08-31-2009, 04:13 PM

problem is, not a defensive organizer in your back 4, which garcia is.

hodgkiss
08-31-2009, 06:22 PM
garcia is a defensive disaster waiting to happen. i have noticed recently that he has been shying away from touching the ball and the reason for that is because he makes so many glaring mistakes. so, he might as well stay away from danger and let someone else more responsible do the dirty work.

jloome
08-31-2009, 06:58 PM
Garcia was good against Seattle, composed. But Cummings is hella fast and Casey is hella strong and neither bodes well for starting Garcia.

Interesting on the numbers ensco. Quite the plummet in odds from winning four to winning three, from 70% to 42%.

grizzle
09-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Garcia was good against Seattle, composed. But Cummings is hella fast and Casey is hella strong and neither bodes well for starting Garcia.

Interesting on the numbers ensco. Quite the plummet in odds from winning four to winning three, from 70% to 42%.

Don't need to worry about Casey:

The Rapids will be missing the leading scorer in MLS Conor Casey who is away on international duty with the United States. "They will be a changed team as well because they have a few injuries and Casey is away so it's hard to predict what they will do, but we make sure we are well prepared," explained the coach.

jloome
09-01-2009, 05:46 PM

Wow, that's an important game to miss. His team must be really pissed.

Yohan
09-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Wow, that's an important game to miss. His team must be really pissed.
well, i doubt many teams are happy when a player gets called up for national team duties ;)

it's a huge break for us though. Contain Cummings, and Colorado has to rely on Noonan, Jamie Smith or Peterson for #2 striker.

hmmm... I remember last year it was TFC 1-0 Colorado at Denver. Chad Barrett with one helluva freekick for the win :)

Redpunkfiddle
09-01-2009, 06:18 PM

Fantastic..... I have always been a strong supporter of scheduling MLS games in conflict with WCQs!

Errrr.... Where is Guevara btw?

Shakes McQueen
09-01-2009, 06:26 PM
I predict we net 21 points down the stretch. Maybe even 22 points, if we really knuckle down.

- Scott

S_D
09-01-2009, 06:35 PM
I predict we net 21 points down the stretch. Maybe even 22 points, if we really knuckle down.

- Scott

I hope you aren't figuring from today onwards. Only 7 games left :) Still wondering where the bonus point comes from.

Shakes McQueen
09-01-2009, 10:04 PM
I hope you aren't figuring from today onwards. Only 7 games left :) Still wondering where the bonus point comes from.

An extra point for effort - like I said, if we try really hard. :D

The league still awards the extra point for effort, no?

- Scott

grizzle
09-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Errrr.... Where is Guevara btw?

From the TFC site:

Toronto will be forced to make at least one change to the line-up in Colorado with Amado Guevara away on international duty with Honduras, and Coach Chris Cummins is pondering a number of options in midfield. "We're going to miss Amado but it gives an opportunity for other people to show what they can do. A number of players have been playing well in recent matches so we have different possibilities. Obviously if Carl is fit, he is available again after suspension and Adrian Serioux is back as well," said Cummins.

The way Guevera has been playing lately this might not be such a bad thing.

jloome
09-01-2009, 11:12 PM
No Guevara, No robbo? No problem!

I'd like to see this:

---------------Frei-----------------
Attakora--Serioux--Gomez--Brennan

Wynne---Sanyang--Cronin--Barrett

-----------DeRo-------------------
-----------------Gerba-------------

Shakes McQueen
09-01-2009, 11:20 PM

I'd like to see this:

Looks good to me.

- Scott

DoubleUp
09-02-2009, 01:19 AM
Looks good to me.

- Scott
Thats a very strong team, quick and agile.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-02-2009, 01:42 AM
yeah id be happy to see that on the field on saturday, definitely think we would win with that

maninb
09-02-2009, 07:05 AM

I'd like to see this:

Though I think Dichio should start and be given 60 minutes....

grizzle
09-02-2009, 11:11 AM

I'd like to see this:

I would rather have Vitti in for Wynne.

Though I think Dichio should start and be given 60 minutes....

I think Dichio is better as sub. It seems to me like he gets more goals when he comes in late (though the reality of this may be off - not sure on actual stats).

prizby
09-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Cummins has been hard to predict

------------Frei-----------
Nana-Garcia-Serioux-Brennan
----------Sanyang---------
Wynne----Cronin--------Vitti
-------DeRo----------------
--------------Barrett-------

Bench:
Edwards
Gomez
Gala
Fellinga
OBW
Gerba
Dichio

Not Dressed:
Robo
Guevara
Ibrahim

Ossington Mental Youth
09-03-2009, 12:07 AM
really hope Barrett doesnt start over Gerba

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-03-2009, 11:14 AM
TFC vs Colorado It's simple:

Solution: RELEASE THE LION!!!!

http://magazine.bramptonsoccer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Danny-Dichio.jpg

maninb
09-03-2009, 01:28 PM
TFC vs Colorado It's simple:

Solution: RELEASE THE LION!!!!

http://magazine.bramptonsoccer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Danny-Dichio.jpg

f*ckin eh!!!!! If Danny doesn't see some RELEVANT minutes Cummins need to have his head examined!!!

DOMIN8R
09-03-2009, 03:27 PM
NEW YORK -- The Major League Soccer Disciplinary Committee today fined Colorado Rapids midfielder Pablo Mastroeni $1,250 and suspended him two games for endangering the safety of an opponent. The incident occurred in the 63rd minute of the Rapids match versus the Houston Dynamo on Aug. 30.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090903&content_id=6774532&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

To view incident: http://web.mlsnet.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=6425933

DangerRed
09-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Wow - talk about diving. Mastroeni not only elbows the guy in the face, but then tries to act like he's hurt. What a piece of shit. Glad he won't be playing against us.

flambe
09-03-2009, 03:42 PM

Sure you can blame them for leaving themselves in the position where a bit of bad luck can ruin their play-off chances.

IMO that is.

hodgkiss
09-03-2009, 03:52 PM
well i am glad that hainault (when he was ok) got up and got off the pitch on his own accord - a true canadian. would like to see him in red within the next few years.

ensco
09-03-2009, 05:37 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/09/03/tfc_colorado/

Sounds like he's starting Barrett up front again.....sigh

Chevy
09-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Wow - talk about diving. Mastroeni not only elbows the guy in the face, but then tries to act like he's hurt. What a piece of shit. Glad he won't be playing against us.

....and Hainault gets up BEFORE him!

Section 117
09-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Personally I think Gerba is going to get the start over Barrett up front...

I would rather have Danny start, but that is just me

prizby
09-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Cummins has been hard to predict

------------Frei-----------
Nana-Garcia-Serioux-Brennan
----------Sanyang---------
Wynne----Cronin--------Vitti
-------DeRo----------------
--------------Barrett-------

Bench:
Edwards
Gomez
Gala
Fellinga
OBW
Gerba
Dichio

Not Dressed:
Robo
Guevara
Ibrahim

switch robo and fellinga

olegunnar
09-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Personally I think Gerba is going to get the start over Barrett up front...

I would rather have Danny start, but that is just me

Great
Gerba in altitude...that'll work well for about 30 minutes

Roogsy
09-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Are you positive about anything?

Blizzard
09-03-2009, 09:28 PM

He probably was hurting. Ever smash your elbow against something hard. It hurts like hell. Of course, that doesn't disguise his crime. Any pain he suffered was of his own making. It's too bad he didn't break his bloody arm.

That was a cheap shot of Chris Morgan magnitude.

B

olegunnar
09-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Are you positive about anything?

Are you talking to me?

I'm postive about a lot of things.

Forgot my handle for a second...forget my posting history....

let's talk about the striker mangement for Saturdays game...what would you do if you were Mo/Cummins?

Would you play Dichio to bash them for a bit maybe cause some problems on set plays...then when the defenders are tired send OBW and Barrett out to run at them?

Or would you play an out of shape guy right off the bat....play him for 75 minutes or so...then when we're down 2-0 sub him out.

It makes no sense.

It may work and then on Sunday people wil get to gloat...ha ha that asshole was wrong...but in advance of the game if you look at it seriously and without emotion...you'd have to be a fool or a bad gambler to think starting Gerba is going to give us the best chance to win.

PS
I like Gerba...I hope that if he's with us next year he shows up in shape...and that he scores 20 goals for us.
Right now though...he's got to get in shape.

Pookie
09-04-2009, 06:34 AM
The thing about Gerba is that he is your better chance at scoring.

This team needs a win. Not just for the 3 points. But in the event that we end up tied with Colorado, the tie breaker comes down to head to head record.

We have to win the head to head tie breaker as our goal differential, the next tie breaker, is currently the worst amongst teams competing for the final four playoff spots.

In short, we need to find a Montreal-like will to stuff the net for the remainder of the year. Push up boys, it's all on the line.

Oldtimer
09-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Mastroeni suspended. TFC is getting a lot of "help" for this match.

Fort York Redcoat
09-04-2009, 08:37 AM
well i am glad that hainault (when he was ok) got up and got off the pitch on his own accord - a true canadian. would like to see him in red within the next few years.

I second that.

DOMIN8R
09-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Are you talking to me?

I'm postive about a lot of things.

Forgot my handle for a second...forget my posting history....

let's talk about the striker mangement for Saturdays game...what would you do if you were Mo/Cummins?

Would you play Dichio to bash them for a bit maybe cause some problems on set plays...then when the defenders are tired send OBW and Barrett out to run at them?

Or would you play an out of shape guy right off the bat....play him for 75 minutes or so...then when we're down 2-0 sub him out.

It makes no sense.

It may work and then on Sunday people wil get to gloat...ha ha that asshole was wrong...but in advance of the game if you look at it seriously and without emotion...you'd have to be a fool or a bad gambler to think starting Gerba is going to give us the best chance to win.

PS
I like Gerba...I hope that if he's with us next year he shows up in shape...and that he scores 20 goals for us.
Right now though...he's got to get in shape.

This is a far more reasonable post than some of the others you have been writing. At least, in this instance, you take the time to explain your position as opposed to just pissing on one pf our players.

olegunnar
09-04-2009, 09:49 AM
This is a far more reasonable post than some of the others you have been writing. At least, in this instance, you take the time to explain your position as opposed to just pissing on one pf our players.

I appreciate the post/gesture.

However
Besides Sutton I don't piss on our players. Note in this case I was pssing on the management of our players.

Secondly both of my posts were identical in the message. The first one was aimed at the audience (a supporters group message board) and expected some sort of familiarity with 1) the game 2) our roster 3) the relative strengths and weaknesses of our players.
The second post was a long winded explanation of my position that was aimed at someone without any of the previously mentioned knowledge. Sort of like explaning it to a hockey fan or a kid.

Pachuco
09-04-2009, 10:31 AM
personally I think Barrett and Dero played well together. Dero probably misses one open net every couple of years. I'm pretty confident that they'll continue to create the chances but only this time a couple of those will go in.

No Gerba please. I have to agree with Cummins on that one. Dichio should replace Barrett in the 65th.

DangerRed
09-04-2009, 11:03 AM
You know what's dumb? Dichio just twittered he's off to Denver and it's Friday. Didn't Cummins just two weeks ago say that they would leave for the west coast on Thursdays to give the boys more time to adjust to the time zones and/or climate?

Last time they went out to a high-altitude game, they also (I think) travelled on Friday. It was Real Salt Lake. TFC lost 3-0.

Pookie
09-04-2009, 12:32 PM
You know what's dumb? Dichio just twittered he's off to Denver and it's Friday. Didn't Cummins just two weeks ago say that they would leave for the west coast on Thursdays to give the boys more time to adjust to the time zones and/or climate?

Last time they went out to a high-altitude game, they also (I think) travelled on Friday. It was Real Salt Lake. TFC lost 3-0.

Actually, it's smart. Apparently, when it comes to short term performance, the less time you spend in high altitude the better.

Most teams are now delaying their arrival as long as possible before game time. A number of studies indicate that performance does not suffer if you've only spent hours in the altitude vs a few days.

joel
09-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Danny's most recent twitter indicates the plane had problems and now they're back in toronto

"Just touched down in Toronto after the plane had to do a U-turn because of mechanical problems!!! 46 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/DannyDichio/statuses/3762991226)"

That's not going to be good for anybody..nothing like spending twice as much time in a plane!

DangerRed
09-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Actually, it's smart. Apparently, when it comes to short term performance, the less time you spend in high altitude the better.

Most teams are now delaying their arrival as long as possible before game time. A number of studies indicate that performance does not suffer if you've only spent hours in the altitude vs a few days.

Well, looks like you'll have your wish given the plane trouble! Here's hoping you're right!

olegunnar
09-04-2009, 02:57 PM

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/acclimatization-to-altitude.html

Preparing for Competition at Altitude

How can athletes who live at sea level prepare for a competition at altitude?

One approach is to compete within 24 hours of arrival at altitude. Not much acclimatization will have taken place but most of the classical symptoms of altitude sickness will not have had time to manifest. After the intial 24 hours, dehydration and sleep disturbances become more prominent.

An alternative option is to train at a higher altitude for at least 2 weeks prior to competition. Although full acclimatization to altitude takes 4 to 6 weeks, many of the physiological adaptations occur in the first 2 weeks and the more severe disturbancs should have settled. It is important to remember that during the intial days at altitude work capacity is reduced, so athletes should train at 60-70% of sea level VO2 max and build up gradually over 10-14 days.

DangerRed
09-04-2009, 03:00 PM
http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/acclimatization-to-altitude.html

Preparing for Competition at Altitude

How can athletes who live at sea level prepare for a competition at altitude?

One approach is to compete within 24 hours of arrival at altitude. Not much acclimatization will have taken place but most of the classical symptoms of altitude sickness will not have had time to manifest. After the intial 24 hours, dehydration and sleep disturbances become more prominent.

An alternative option is to train at a higher altitude for at least 2 weeks prior to competition. Although full acclimatization to altitude takes 4 to 6 weeks, many of the physiological adaptations occur in the first 2 weeks and the more severe disturbancs should have settled. It is important to remember that during the intial days at altitude work capacity is reduced, so athletes should train at 60-70% of sea level VO2 max and build up gradually over 10-14 days.

That's awesome info! Thanks for passing along.

prizby
09-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Danny's most recent twitter indicates the plane had problems and now they're back in toronto

"Just touched down in Toronto after the plane had to do a U-turn because of mechanical problems!!! 46 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/DannyDichio/statuses/3762991226)"

That's not going to be good for anybody..nothing like spending twice as much time in a plane!

"mechanical issues" *cough* Julian de Guzman was left on the ground :p

jloome
09-04-2009, 11:13 PM
In non Julian Deguzman related news, Casey's playing tomorrow.

Conor Casey, who had a wisdom tooth extracted this week, will not join the team here and instead play for the Rapids tomorrow

says
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/

Ageroo
09-04-2009, 11:18 PM
In non Julian Deguzman related news, Casey's playing tomorrow.

Conor Casey, who had a wisdom tooth extracted this week, will not join the team here and instead play for the Rapids tomorrow

says
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/

Well this in not good news....Casey has been a beast all year....maybe a well timed Serioux elbow to the jaw can do the trick on this one....:D

Nuvinho
09-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Rapids will not have its 2 wide players in Clark and Smith as both of them are injured. Don't have their DM and also their most experienced CB. If Casey doesn't play, TFC has a great opportunity in this game to take 3 points.

jloome
09-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Pablo Mastroeani's out, too, and he's a brute normally.

Yohan
09-05-2009, 02:49 PM
so pumped up for another jekyl and hyde performance from TFC!

Luanda
09-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Folks, I am out of town and without sportsnet. But I have my laptop and an internet connection.

Can anyone point to an URL that has tonight's game?

Much appreciated.

Yohan
09-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Folks, I am out of town and without sportsnet. But I have my laptop and an internet connection.

Can anyone point to an URL that has tonight's game?

Much appreciated.
http://atdhe.net/

TFC07
09-05-2009, 04:08 PM
If TFC don't win today's game against depleted Colorado, then we might as well throw in towel for the season.

rocker
09-05-2009, 04:45 PM
If TFC don't win today's game against depleted Colorado, then we might as well throw in towel for the season.

it ain't over til it's over.

it ain't over til the fat lady sings.

don't throw in the towel.

Remember the Montreal Miracle!

Redpunkfiddle
09-05-2009, 04:45 PM

Or we could Still watch and win four other games.

But I agree we,d leave virtually no margin for error if we don't get a result

twistedchinaman
09-05-2009, 04:54 PM
it ain't over til it's over.

it ain't over til the fat lady sings.

don't throw in the towel.

Remember the Montreal Miracle!

+1!

Let's make the fat lady sing...FOR COLORADO! :scarf:

rocker
09-05-2009, 04:57 PM
+1!

Let's make the fat lady sing...FOR COLORADO! :scarf:

i prefer not to think about bad "what ifs".

let's just play the damn games and see what happens!!! :) :)

It's like when my girlfriend worries about where our relationship is gonna be in 6 months "what if you leave me???". DON'T WORRY BABY... let's take it one day at a time!!! hahaha!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-05-2009, 05:00 PM
2-1 TFC......Barrett stomps off in the 85th disgust... DICHIO SCORES AT THE DEATH!!

A new thread is BORN!!

IN CUMMINS WE TRUST! ;)

Lucky Strike
09-05-2009, 05:34 PM
So are we to assume this will be the game thread for the match?

Redpunkfiddle
09-05-2009, 05:44 PM
So are we to assume this will be the game thread for the match?

Nah- we need a real game thread. I endorse you to start it.

Red CB Toronto
09-05-2009, 06:01 PM
A win is needed here big time, DeRo and company need to attack Colorado and can not relent, Come on you Reds.

twistedchinaman
09-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Thread up!