PDA

View Full Version : Onward! - Goalless in Seattle

Ben Knight
08-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Chad, Chad, Chad ...

http://onwardsoccer.com/2009/08/29/goalless-in-seattle/

Shakes McQueen
08-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Way too hard on Chad, and way too easy on DeRo.

DeRo, over the course of today's game, became a vortex where good attacking plays went to die. His crap shot that he basically took from Guevara, was bad. His miss at the beginning of the game was bad (and the angle really wasn't that steep). And almost every other time he got the ball, he put his head down and danced around a bit until he lost it, or took hopeless shots from outside the box. Except for the couple of good crosses he put in, I'd give his game a 1/10... maybe a 2/10.

I love DeRo, and think he's our best player. But today was a really shitty game for him. Barrett failed to get his head on that one nice cross, which was rough, but aside from that, put in his usual hard-working, a few good plays here and there performance.

And Gerba was brought in at a point when TFC weren't pressing into Seattle's third of the pitch. Gerba isn't speedy, yet he was basically left to chase long ball after long ball back to Keller, as we tried to hold the draw. He had no quality service on the attack whatsoever.

Everything else I generally agree with. I'm just surprised that you kind of shrugged off the absolutely shambolic performance by DeRo today, while dedicating an entire paragraph or two to Barrett's one botched header.

- Scott

Ben Knight
08-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Well, we saw it differently, Shakes. C'est la soccer!

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-29-2009, 06:54 PM
DeRo is beyond being critized in this city he can do nothing wrong..Barrett should have had the header, no question...but when you miss a whole empty net, then you should not be starting.Does CC have the balls to sit DeRo or at least sub him
when his performance is awlful...?? its time we find out.

Blizzard
08-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Way too hard on Chad, and way too easy on DeRo.

DeRo, over the course of today's game, became a vortex where good attacking plays went to die. His crap shot that he basically took from Guevara, was bad. His miss at the beginning of the game was bad (and the angle really wasn't that steep). And almost every other time he got the ball, he put his head down and danced around a bit until he lost it, or took hopeless shots from outside the box. Except for the couple of good crosses he put in, I'd give his game a 1/10... maybe a 2/10.

I love DeRo, and think he's our best player. But today was a really shitty game for him. Barrett failed to get his head on that one nice cross, which was rough, but aside from that, put in his usual hard-working, a few good plays here and there performance.

And Gerba was brought in at a point when TFC weren't pressing into Seattle's third of the pitch. Gerba isn't speedy, yet he was basically left to chase long ball after long ball back to Keller, as we tried to hold the draw. He had no quality service on the attack whatsoever.

Everything else I generally agree with. I'm just surprised that you kind of shrugged off the absolutely shambolic performance by DeRo today, while dedicating an entire paragraph or two to Barrett's one botched header.

- Scott

When DeRo cut in front of Amado (after his great run) to send a hopeless shot 20 yards wide of goal and in the process messed up Amado's attempt at goal, I screamed.

True, strikers have to be a bit greedy by nature but that play was as boneheaded as they get.

No, we won't blast DeRo for his third minute miss. He got into that position on his own merits. He also send great balls to Cronin and Barrett but how often does he run himself into crowds only to lose the ball and kill our momentum of attack? It happened too often today. DeRo has got to look around. There are better options sometimes.

Redcoe15
08-29-2009, 07:16 PM
DeRo is beyond being critized in this city he can do nothing wrong..Barrett should have had the header, no question...but when you miss a whole empty net, then you should not be starting.Does CC have the balls to sit DeRo or at least sub him
Yeah, yeah, we know you have a hate on for DeRo, he's certainly no Cuntingham. But then, you are the village idiot on these boards. So... :dita:

Ben Knight
08-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Well, I saw DeRo create enough in the first ten minutes to win the game. The offsets a certain amount of miscues, does it not?

Chevy
08-29-2009, 07:26 PM
"...weakened by yellow-card suspensions to holding midfielder Carl Robinson?"

Ben, are you kidding me?

Shakes McQueen
08-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Well, I saw DeRo create enough in the first ten minutes to win the game. The offsets a certain amount of miscues, does it not?

DeRo had a few good plays at the outset of the match, but that hardly cancels out the remaining 80 minutes - especially considering none of those plays (including his ridiculously good chance) resulted in goals.

From that point on, like I said, he just put his head down, tried to do everything himself, and bungled a lot of opportunities in the process - like the one he took from Guevara.

Creating opportunities in the first 10 minutes is nice, but I expect our best, and highest paid players to keep creating opportunities throughout the match, until we get what we need. Instead, he became a huge ball hog.

Love the guy, but today was not vintage DeRo.

- Scott

Fushida
08-29-2009, 07:34 PM
How can anyone blame Barrett for missing a diving header? He was diving in full stretch and couldn't get to it. What else could he have done? Grew an inch taller so he can nod it in?

Edit: however I do agree that he hasn't done nearly enough lately to merit a spot in the starting XI.

Jeff s
08-29-2009, 08:09 PM

http://home.planetcomm.net/ltaylor/web/web/web/Bowl-of-Stupid.jpeg

ArmenJBX
08-29-2009, 08:23 PM
I thought DeRo was our David Beckham vs. Greece out there. Did everything himself, worked hard, but unlike Becks, couldn't finish the game.

What I wanna know is why Guevara isn't performing, and why there is no 100% pure gold statue of Stefan Frei anywhere in Toronto.

sulfur
08-29-2009, 08:42 PM
For me, over the first half (or so) Barrett and DeRo were both... average. To me, Chad was a better player of the two.

DeRo may have created some chances, but he also totally sucked on the chances he did create. If you're going to bitch about Chad's missed header, you can (and should) do the same for DeRo's missed header off of Chad's cross.

Fushida
08-29-2009, 08:44 PM
For me, over the first half (or so) Barrett and DeRo were both... average. To me, Chad was a better player of the two.

DeRo may have created some chances, but he also totally sucked on the chances he did create. If you're going to bitch about Chad's missed header, you can (and should) do the same for DeRo's missed header off of Chad's cross.

Agreed 100%.

Mikey
08-30-2009, 07:15 AM
Don't understand why there was all the fuss about signing Gerba, when we still put Barndoor Barrett out there?

He is not and never will be a decent striker.

WHITEY
08-30-2009, 07:27 AM
Don't understand why there was all the fuss about signing Gerba, when we still put Barndoor Barrett out there?

He is not and never will be a decent striker.

Exactly! When he was signed all you heard from Cummin's pie hole was ali is this type of footballer, that type of footballer, ali is going to help us this, ali is going to help us that. How the fuck can Gerba help us when Cummins keeps him on the bench and brings him in at stupid times of the match? And when he does come in he's chasing balls because all we do is play long hooffing ball bullshit football which does nothing to maximize what Gerba can do in the short time he gets to play.

sweetlemon69
08-30-2009, 07:43 AM
100% agree with Shakes here.

ensco
08-30-2009, 08:03 AM
DeRo has always hogged the ball. He also goes long stretches where he looks terrible.

Anyone who doesn't know this didn't watch him in Houston.

It comes with the territory. If that third minute play goes in, we're not talking about it.

Krasno.pL.
08-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Ill argue the header thing... he could have looked up.. took a step over and headed the ball...
he made it like look a worldcup quaility diving header. and he fucked up. His Fault.

Shakes McQueen
08-30-2009, 09:04 AM
DeRo has always hogged the ball. He also goes long stretches where he looks terrible.

Anyone who doesn't know this didn't watch him in Houston.

It comes with the territory. If that third minute play goes in, we're not talking about it.

Perhaps, but he didn't put it in, and hence, we are talking about it, haha.

- Scott

ensco
08-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Perhaps, but he didn't put it in, and hence, we are talking about it, haha.

- Scott

You are correct. This is how it works.

With Dichio in instead of Barrett, we win that game. DeRo would have played it differently.

v00d00daddy
08-30-2009, 09:39 AM
You are correct. This is how it works.

With Dichio in instead of Barrett, we win that game. DeRo would have played it differently.

Dero wouldn't have passed to pele yesterday.
I would have subbed him out after he shot that ball off of guevaras foot. I'm surprised Guevara didn't explode.

Dero was out of control yesterday. Missing open chances. Stealing the ball from his teammates. Picking fights with the opposition.

He was a gong show.

Ben, dero did enough to win the game in the first 10 minutes?

He missed an open net! You make no sense.

I don't know what game you were watching.

DavydMT
08-30-2009, 01:07 PM
i agree with mighty it would be nice to see DeRo subed out for the last 15-20 min, after he started to make mistakes, took rush tackles and shoots and started to talke too much.

TFC Fan
08-30-2009, 01:30 PM
i agree with mighty it would be nice to see DeRo subed out for the last 15-20 min, after he started to make mistakes, took rush tackles and shoots and started to talke too much.

Dero should have been subbed in the second half and not earlier. Yes he missed an open net and the header in the first half but he was creating chances. In the second, he decided to do too much (and not for first time this year) and forgot about his teammates. I know that he has 9 goals on the year but his attitude is disrupting our offence from a team prospective when he does this. Too many times he loses the ball and allows the other team to get a good opportunity on the counter. I would have left Barrett on and subbed Dero, just like Guevara was subbed in the other game when he wasn't performing.

Also when he started the shoving match and got the yellow I thought he was going to get sent off for sure in a couple minutes due to his anger issues.