PDA

View Full Version : Toronto FC membership

Pages : [1] 2

mlsintoronto
08-27-2009, 03:45 PM
We're looking at ways to make more people feel like part of this club. Many European clubs have a club membership model that ranges from Madrid who vote in the President every 4 years, to EPL clubs who make you buy a membership before you can purchase a ticket.

Look at Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, West Ham etc to see what I'm talking about.

Maybe it includes some swag like what is currently an exclusive SSH scarf?
a DVD of highlights?
souvenir booklet?
maybe there is some online benefit component?
maybe there are tiers where you get access to an allotment of tickets?
Newsletter?

Sky's the limit - how would it look? what would it cost?

flatpicker
08-27-2009, 03:48 PM
So this possible membership would only be available to STH's?
If you are a STH, would you have to buy a membership?

ArmenJBX
08-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Here are a couple of different European membership plans:

Barcelona:

Barça magazine delivered to your house.
Your own club e-mail address: yourname@mail.fcbarcelona.com
A free ticket for the museum.
Entrance to training and autograph sessions.
Discounts at the club shop and online store.
Discounts on the price of tickets.

Chelsea:

https://shop.chelseafc.co.uk/images/memb_prices.jpg

ArmenJBX
08-27-2009, 03:51 PM
A Toronto FC magazine would be cool, another thing maybe is gameday stamps or tokens or pins which you would collect as a member, and at the end of the year, if you had all 20 or whatever you would get a signed shirt?

The Pope
08-27-2009, 03:51 PM
"the sky's the limit"

How ML$E feels about fans pocket books

sorry...i had to do it

flatpicker
08-27-2009, 03:53 PM
but you won't see a monthly TFC mag...
seriously... what would be in it?
TFC TV already covers everything one might want from a magazine.

access to autograph and training sessions?
- this is Toronto... not Chelsea.. being a STH should give you access to all that.
- TFC can't restrict non-membership public from getting autographs... that ain't the way to build a fan base in hockey town.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea... just need to learn more....

Shaughno
08-27-2009, 03:53 PM
"the sky's the limit"

How ML$E feels about fans pocket books

sorry...i had to do it

That was my first thought too. :lol:

canadian_bhoy
08-27-2009, 03:58 PM
The primary purpose of a membership scheme is to create new revenue streams for the club. Sadly, I think a lot of people (especially ones with kids) will buy into something like this.

When Toronto FC was created, they did a very good job of "making people feel part of the club" and the way they did it was through legitimate interaction with the fans, not trumped up membership programs.

Club transparency, quality product for a good price, pub crawls, the 90th minute etc. These were real ways that fans felt like they were part of the club.

1) This "membership" would never be like the madrid membership, because their club is like a co-op. The fans vote in the president of the team. MLSE would never do this..ever.

2) Membership for tickets makes the club exclusive - since the beginning one of the great things about TFC was their inclusiveness...all for one?

3) You already give us an exclusive SSH scarf and if we want DVD's etc, we can buy them (or download them ;) )

My advice would be to TFC to step back, see what the club has done in 3 years and go right back to square one. The club needs to look back to what made them a success in the first place, not to European membership schemes which clubs like liverpool admit are basically a way to increase revenue to catch up to bigger (financially) clubs

Nuvinho
08-27-2009, 03:59 PM
sounds interesting........but like many others.......what will be the cost to the fan?

Suds
08-27-2009, 04:01 PM
IMO, I think if someone is a SSH they should automatically be a member.

For people who are not SSH's, I could see value in a membership that provided them access to ticket allotments ahead of the general public.

Swag is OK but I don't think I would buy a membership just for that. Personally don't collect that stuff but others may think its great.

I'd see more value in getting a deeper discount on TFC merchandise that the now 10%. As an example, become a member and get 25% off the new season jersey.

905shmick
08-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Is the FO ever NOT thinking up ways to milk people of their hard earned money?

How about spending some time focusing on the product on the field.

Disgusting.

Shaughno
08-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Personally, I have no interest in paying anything ABOVE what I'm already paying for my season tickets. If it's included for SSH's then fine, otherwise, piss off with the extra fees thanks.

kelzag
08-27-2009, 04:03 PM
The primary purpose of a membership scheme is to create new revenue streams for the club. Sadly, I think a lot of people (especially ones with kids) will buy into something like this.

When Toronto FC was created, they did a very good job of "making people feel part of the club" and the way they did it was through legitimate interaction with the fans, not trumped up membership programs.

Club transparency, quality product for a good price, pub crawls, the 90th minute etc. These were real ways that fans felt like they were part of the club.

1) This "membership" would never be like the madrid membership, because their club is like a co-op. The fans vote in the president of the team. MLSE would never do this..ever.

2) Membership for tickets makes the club exclusive - since the beginning one of the great things about TFC was their inclusiveness...all for one?

3) You already give us an exclusive SSH scarf and if we want DVD's etc, we can buy them (or download them ;) )

My advice would be to TFC to step back, see what the club has done in 3 years and go right back to square one. The club needs to look back to what made them a success in the first place, not to European membership schemes which clubs like liverpool admit are basically a way to increase revenue to catch up to bigger (financially) clubs

EXACTLY.

flatpicker
08-27-2009, 04:05 PM

For people who are not SSH's, I could see value in a membership that provided them access to ticket allotments ahead of the general public.

Swag is OK but I don't think I would buy a membership just for that. Personally don't collect that stuff but others may think its great.

I'd see more value in getting a deeper discount on TFC merchandise that the now 10%. As an example, become a member and get 25% off the new season jersey.

- there are already a lot of people on the waiting list for tickets, don't they get a crack at tickets before the general public?

- so, the cost of the membership would probably be exactly the same as the amount you save on the jersey. So unless you plan on getting other swag, there is no point.

Suds
08-27-2009, 04:06 PM

You make some very good points.

VPjr
08-27-2009, 04:06 PM
i don't care about swag. I don't care about videos or magazines. I don't care about getting through the gates quicker. I don't care about discounts on merchandise.

I care about having a mechanism by which the members of the CLUB can influence the direction of the club in a MEANINGFUL way. You agree to that and I'll pay the price.

Anything else is a cheap marketing vehicle that will only line your pockets more than they are already being lined.

Suds
08-27-2009, 04:09 PM
- there are already a lot of people on the waiting list for tickets, don't they get a crack at tickets before the general public?

- so, the cost of the membership would probably be exactly the same as the amount you save on the jersey. So unless you plan on getting other swag, there is no point.

They do for specific sales that come up (ex. Friendlies, Champions League). I meant for the regular season games.

Probably right on the cost of membership/savings thing. Just an idea that popped into my head.

TFCtoMUFC
08-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Toronto FC Membership:

If you are a STH it will be a Picture ID and get you in to games (scanned kinda like a Wonderland Season Pass) after being scanned at gate.

Flat price beer. (I don't buy beer but for example if everyone pays 7.90 you pay 6)

Discounts in the Team Shop

A Toronto FC T-Shirt at Renewal as well as a scarf noting that you are a member.

ST Priority.

A points system where the more you buy (tickets, popcorn, jerseys, beer, anything) you get points on your card and can get free swag from Sweatshirts to Jerseys to Signed Jerseys to Game-Worn Jerseys to Those Table Tickets.

A Toronto FC email.

Pre-Season meet and greet with players including a dinner and autograph signing as well as mingling.

First crack at seats in the North Stand. (Yeah thats right I went there)

First crack at playoff seats.

A tab set-up, scan your card with as well as show picture ID and it works like a credit card. (yeah this one is a bit of a stretch but who likes carrying around cash?) You pay tab at the end of the season.

Members can bring flares in to games. = ]

STH must be members.

Free admission to open practices and museum.

GolTV subscription included.

Voting option on our options for friendlies.

billyfly
08-27-2009, 04:10 PM
^ and a partridge in a pear tree.....

AL-MO
08-27-2009, 04:13 PM
I don't want my picture on any card TFCtoMUFC...

They already have cameras blanketing the stadium already.

FluSH
08-27-2009, 04:13 PM
I would consider this ONLY if the membership is in form of a MEMBERSHARE that is honoured.

I am pretty sure many of these clubs give "members" the right to vote the board of directors and/or their management.

IF THAT WAS THE CASE... you would have me 100%

TFCtoMUFC
08-27-2009, 04:16 PM
^ and a partridge in a pear tree.....

I dont want all of that, maybe a few of them.

billyfly
08-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Shoot for the stars, I get it.

I just don't know how much of that list would be given.

Roogsy
08-27-2009, 04:20 PM
I would consider this ONLY if the membership is in form of a MEMBERSHARE that is honoured.

I am pretty sure many of these clubs give "members" the right to vote the board of directors and/or their management.

IF THAT WAS THE CASE... you would have me 100%

As VPjr said...have a say in a meaningful way. If so, I'd be on board.

If it's just a cash grab...count me out.

For the record, I am a club member for FC Barcelona.

Darlofletch
08-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Apologies for the cynicism, but there's no way I can see this ending up as anything other than supporters having to pay more to be able to keep getting tickets. Sure we'll get some pointless trinkets thrown at us, but nothing we'd generally decide to pay extra for, and we'll get nothing that is worth paying extra for.

Prove me wrong, please, i would love to be wrong.

At the very least let there be a $0.00 cost, 0 extra frills option if it's going to be mandatory to get tickets.

Darlofletch
08-27-2009, 04:24 PM

What he said.

egoodwin
08-27-2009, 04:25 PM
NO SEAT LICENCES.

Thank you

Don Julio
08-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Pass.

Blizzard
08-27-2009, 04:37 PM
My view is that this cannot be seen to be a club run "supporter's group." Swag will do exactly that if that is all that it is.

I think we'd need a monthly meeting for all members where the issues of the club are addressed and at which members can go up to Q and A mics to ask you, Tom, Mo and the coaching staff specific questions much like stockholders or political party members would do at an AGM.

I also believe that you would have to develop a position and role for an individual elected by members. This person would have to have a position on TFC's board of directors or some such similar type of body. An advisory board????? Welllllllllllllll, maybe ........ depending on whether or not advice is taken and acted upon.

If this is to be done, it has to be done with all seriousness.

If it is in any way seen by supporters to be nothing more than a ploy to appease disgruntled supporters without any actual worthwhile role, then it won't fly.

If something of that sort of thing cannot happen, it probably isn't worth doing. There has to be a perceived value beyond swag (although a little bit of swag is always good depending on the cost of membership). ;)

Cheers

B

TFCtoMUFC
08-27-2009, 04:38 PM
My view is that this cannot be seen to be a club run "supporter's group." Swag will do exactly that if that is all that it is.

I think we'd need a monthly meeting for all members where the issues of the club are addressed and at which members can go up to Q and A mics to ask you, Tom, Mo and the coaching staff specific questions much like stockholders or political party members would do at an AGM.

I also believe that you would have to develop a position and role for a a members election. This person would have to have a position on TFC's board of directors or some such similar type of body. An advisory board????? Welllllllllllllll, maybe depending on whether or not advice is taken and acted upon.

If this is to be done, it has to be done with all seriousness.

If it is in anyway seen by supporters as some sort of ploy to appease disgruntled supporters without any actual worthwhile role, then it won't fly.

If something of that sort of thing cannot happen, it probably isn't worth doing. There has to be a perceived value beyond swag (although a little bit of swag is always good depending on the cost of membership). ;)

Cheers

B

So if I understand what you are saying, we would elect someone to speak on our behalf on some board with the team? If so I like that.

SilverSamurai
08-27-2009, 04:39 PM

Ya, right now us red listers and gold only get 2nd shot for friendlies and CCL matches. Sure it's something but thanks to the scalpers, and short of stadium expansion and the prices NOT being jacked up will this list ever move?

As VPjr said...have a say in a meaningful way. If so, I'd be on board.

If it's just a cash grab...count me out.

For the record, I am a club member for FC Barcelona.
+1 or +2 or is it +3?
Having a TFC email is a nice idea, as well as discounts at the team shop but membership share/voting is what really matters.
I personally don't care much for a dvd, magazine or yet ANOTHER scarf. 3 is enough personally...

Warning though, if this means TFC TV or MLS stories will essentially be subscrption based this is going to piss off a LOT of people...

However if this means theirs going to be special events like members only practice sessions and Q+A sessions with the players/staff you could be onto something.

But most of all it depends on the price of membership. You can't charge Chelsea prices. $5-10 is no biggie really (depends on what is being offered obviously) but $20+ is waaay too much.
It depends on what kind of value/benefit is being offered.

Shakes McQueen
08-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Seems like the point of this was to ask people for ideas on what they might want in a club membership, not for people to get on their anti-profit soapboxes again.

- Access to a block of single tickets every game would be nice for non-STH's.
- A meaningful vote on the club's direction every few years, and maybe on some major decisions.
- Club email address
- Exclusive access to club events involving players and such.
- Do NOT make it a forced purchase, to get season tickets

I'd be willing to pay anywhere from $35-$50, if my membership gave me some form of direct input into the direction of the club. If it's just going to be souvenir booklets, DVDs, and stuff like that, then I'm not really interested. Those things would be nice in ADDITION to having a meaningful vote.

- Scott

prizby
08-27-2009, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't pay more than $20,

i'd be willing to pay $50, if I was guaranteed a chance to buy tickets to the supporters section for 4 games.

I would demand the right to vote on a hire/fire the president (this being Richard Peddie of MLSE) (this is unconditional and I hope it everyone TFC fan would agree in making this unconditional) as well as for Mo Johnston's job.

I would demand whoever is managing the team (CC's position) to make himself available for 2 hours, 2 nights before a match for an online chat with fans where we can ask questions and he give us answers (moderated of course)

I would demand financial documents showing TFC has done in the past making/losing money and projections for the future

I would demand free access to an open practice (once a month)

and finally

I would demand TFC to make a strong effort to reduce the number of tickets available to scalpers as well as effectively police their grounds and the entire CNE pushing scalpers off CNE property, getting them way away from the ground (Last time I checked it is illegal in Canada to sell tickets to an event at above the listed face value) - (correct me if im wrong-i thought i saw a bylaw of some sort somewhere)

if i got all 5 of those demands (as well as access to getting tickets to 4 games), i'd be willing to fork over 100-125 bucks

RedMAN127
08-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Is PB trying to distract us ... they are not going to offer us dicounted beer or voting on team decisions ...

Shakes McQueen
08-27-2009, 04:51 PM
I could see a scenario where they let us vote on Mo's position, but they will never, ever let us vote for the President of MLSE.

Though I think it would be interesting of Raps, Leafs, and TFC membership holders were collectively allowed to vote on the MLSE President every 3 years, lets say.

- Scott

Broadview
08-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Will it prevent tickets from falling into/staying in the hands of scalpers and brokers?

Because that's the only real benefit I can see of a scheme like this, assuming it were possible.

prizby
08-27-2009, 05:00 PM
I could see a scenario where they let us vote on Mo's position, but they will never, ever let us vote for the President of MLSE.

Though I think it would be interesting of Raps, Leafs, and TFC membership holders were collectively allowed to vote on the MLSE President every 3 years, lets say.

- Scott

its pretty simple, want us to pay for membership, i want some collateral, and it starts at the top, maybe some consulation-vote for a board member spot

AL-MO
08-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Put down the bong Prizby!!! :p

ensco
08-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Interesting day to start this thread.

I want members to vote on which players fly to west coast games.

(Will post more complete answer to thread question later.)

FluSH
08-27-2009, 05:16 PM
So if I understand what you are saying, we would elect someone to speak on our behalf on some board with the team? If so I like that.

LOL

Isn't that what we do here??

If you were an RPB member that is basically what we are doing here. An exec gets elected and they duke it out with the club.

FYI: King Dave will be running for next season... not sure for what... but he's got my vote as long as he is sober =P

TFCtoMUFC
08-27-2009, 05:34 PM
LOL

Isn't that what we do here??

If you were an RPB member that is basically what we are doing here. An exec gets elected and they duke it out with the club.

FYI: King Dave will be running for next season... not sure for what... but he's got my vote as long as he is sober =P

Sorry that I am new here.

canadian_bhoy
08-27-2009, 05:34 PM

I just want to add a note to my post.

I didn't post the above to be negative, whiney or confrontational with the club. I'm trying to help and I'm trying to offer my opinion on how the club can be better. I still care a lot about TFC and I want to see it become a huge success...I want Paul, Cesar and the FO to win awards for great service, I want the newspapers to write glowing articles about cool things the club is doing. I just want them to do things like they did in the beginning.

I think there are a lot of year one $50 deposit that feel the same way as I do on this subject.

jabbronies
08-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Personally, I have no interest in paying anything ABOVE what I'm already paying for my season tickets. If it's included for SSH's then fine, otherwise, piss off with the extra fees thanks.

Amen brother.
I think it's insane that we may need to pay a fee in order to buy tickets.

joel
08-27-2009, 06:11 PM
I was a One United Member, being one allowed you to 'Apply' for tickets to home games. Thus, in order to do this, all Single seat sales must be controlled through the membership program.

Obviously I see the benefit to the club, as you could have 10,000 people pay $5-10 for the chance to get allocated tickets, but it also keeps it fair for everyone.

Also, MUFC One United membership allows you access to the STH ticket trader (through viagogo). Only club membership people can get a MUFC viagogo account. This, it's liking getting access to the Ticket Trader that currently exists to only STH. I think this would be a great feature for Non-STH, cause I feel a lot of these tickets don't get picked up, or the channel is too narrow when other people shoudl have access.

The One United membershiip pack wasn't that great...depends on how loony you are for swag:
- MUFC Pen : lame
- MUFC beverage sleeve : nice!
- MUFC keychain bottle opener : ok
- Membership car wth name : nifty
- 07/08 Yearbook : this thing is amazing..thick book covering the entire season, every game chronoicled, tons of matchday info, pictures, match reports, and numerous features. Must Have.

There might have been some other stuff but I forget. Anyway the main benefits of a membership system for me are:
- Application for Tickets, Allocation of away tickets.
- Access to Members Ticket Trader

Everything else is just fluff that other people may like though, special events, offers, etc.

STH fit into another category, they are automatically members and should get any of the free swag as part of their STH package + extras.

prizby
08-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Put down the bong Prizby!!! :p

never have ever used one in my life, never will, but don't lie i had some good suggestions (chat with CC)

Sonny Cheeba
08-27-2009, 06:45 PM
does getting into the group stages of the CL come with the membership?

grass?

we're fine with what we have now as far as swag and such go.

getting on the ticket trader would be good for non season ticket holders.... that's it really.

acorn34
08-27-2009, 06:46 PM
I feel like my season tickets should arrive with any available benefits, but I think the club could do a much better job with reaching out to kids. I go to every game, but my young boys only a handful and they'd love to feel more engaged with the club. Some sort of kids' membership would make sense to me and use it to strengthen ties to the academy as well as the Senior squad. My six-year old would be thrilled to feel part of the academy somehow - junior member, whatever.

mlsintoronto
08-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Prizby, I like your suggestions. :)

brad
08-27-2009, 06:51 PM
I was a One United Member, being one allowed you to 'Apply' for tickets to home games. Thus, in order to do this, all Single seat sales must be controlled through the membership program.

Obviously I see the benefit to the club, as you could have 10,000 people pay $5-10 for the chance to get allocated tickets, but it also keeps it fair for everyone.

Also, MUFC One United membership allows you access to the STH ticket trader (through viagogo). Only club membership people can get a MUFC viagogo account. This, it's liking getting access to the Ticket Trader that currently exists to only STH. I think this would be a great feature for Non-STH, cause I feel a lot of these tickets don't get picked up, or the channel is too narrow when other people shoudl have access.

The One United membershiip pack wasn't that great...depends on how loony you are for swag:
- MUFC Pen : lame
- MUFC beverage sleeve : nice!
- MUFC keychain bottle opener : ok
- Membership car wth name : nifty
- 07/08 Yearbook : this thing is amazing..thick book covering the entire season, every game chronoicled, tons of matchday info, pictures, match reports, and numerous features. Must Have.

There might have been some other stuff but I forget. Anyway the main benefits of a membership system for me are:
- Application for Tickets, Allocation of away tickets.
- Access to Members Ticket Trader

Everything else is just fluff that other people may like though, special events, offers, etc.

STH fit into another category, they are automatically members and should get any of the free swag as part of their STH package + extras.

This. Exactly (I was also a One United Member as well).

For non STH, access to the ticket trader, and priority on single match tickets.

For a current STH, there is nothing to offer us to make this appealing. We already get most of the perks clubs offer for free (or built in to the STH cost already).

flatpicker
08-27-2009, 06:52 PM
I would demand the right to vote on a hire/fire the president (this being Richard Peddie of MLSE) (this is unconditional and I hope it everyone TFC fan would agree in making this unconditional)

well the same would have to be offered to Leafs, Raptors and Marlies STH's, since those teams fall under the same umbrella.

but whatever... obviously this isn't happening... but I figured I would comment on it anyway.

just for funzies.

Wagner
08-27-2009, 06:53 PM
C_B's comments are spot on.

Shouldn't I already be in some sort of club by being a season ticketholder?
I've been sending you guys cash since Nov 2006.

flatpicker
08-27-2009, 06:56 PM
This. Exactly (I was also a One United Member as well).

For non STH, access to the ticket trader, and priority on single match tickets.

For a current STH, there is nothing to offer us to make this appealing. We already get most of the perks clubs offer for free (or built in to the STH cost already).

I like Joel's post as well.
Makes some sense... for non-STH's.

This is something that should be offered to everyone on the ST waiting list and general public.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Would the membership come with a free subcription of Goal tv canada? ;)

drewski
08-27-2009, 07:19 PM
membership shouldn't be used to limit what we as fans can already do, ie buy tickets.

I think STH should automatically be members, everybody else has to pay.

part of me likes giving members a say in club matters via a vote, though that can be dangerous.

the other point, which joel brought up is access to the STH ticket trader site for non STH's.

Oldtimer
08-27-2009, 07:49 PM
1. Special access to "partner" deals - e.g. 10% of a Samsung TV, 5% off of GOL TV, free appetizer at a pub, etc. You know you want to do this! You can even get your partners to pay you for it.
2. Maybe one big exclusive event per year (e.g. presentation of our new DP at BMO Field).
3. A regular magazine with annual DVD, mailed to our homes, not the Free Kick crap. The DVD should have all of the games in 6 minutes on it.
4. The ability to vote out the business manager every 4 years (just kidding :lol: )

Any such membership should be reasonably priced. Remember RPB membership is only $20 for new members and has a lot of benefits, so why should we go for yours unless had has a good benefit/cost ratio?

wzhxvy
08-27-2009, 07:52 PM
People here want a vote and a say on how the club is run, the president, GM or whatever, but how many of you big shots are willing to really pay for it. When they increase south end seats by $50 bucks the human cry is heard accross the globe because you poor souls are paying $300 bucks for seasons, when it costs that much for a monthly GO train pass.

SO...

Depends how much money you think you can sell these memberships for Paul, say you expect 5000 people to sign up for the membership and you expect them to pay $40 per, thats 200K.

What I think: Are there 200 people out there that would pay $1000 per to be club members that vote in the Club President every year ? My guess is that there are 500 people who would pay $1000 bucks each/year. Thats 500K, I think 500K (15% of the club salary) should buy a voice in the club.

Mikey
08-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Would membership mean not getting screwed out of your pre-paid friendly when ML$E accidently lands a major club?

Already feel like we will be paying prem prices for pub team footie in a year or two, so a membership card for the right to buy your own season tickets fits right in.....:flare:

905shmick
08-27-2009, 08:07 PM
People here want a vote and a say on how the club is run, the president, GM or whatever, but how many of you big shots are willing to really pay for it. When they increase south end seats by $50 bucks the human cry is heard accross the globe because you poor souls are paying $300 bucks for seasons, when it costs that much for a monthly GO train pass.

It's not about the $300.

When I buy a monthly GO pass, it's so I can get to work and generate income. TFC on the other hand is entertainment that we spend our heard earned income on, and if the club continues to put crap on the field, we can speak with our wallets. Ticket sales will go down, along with beer and concession stand sales.

trane
08-27-2009, 08:09 PM

I share your view. However, I think that if done right membership could lead toward your stated goals.

MFG1
08-27-2009, 08:15 PM
If you think by paying a fee that MLSE is going to allow a group to have a say in any matter pertaining to any of their interests, you are all real conissieurs of crack. But I would pay a membership fee to be allow to dressup like this on game days;
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Business/images/kool-aid-man.jpg

CLUB TRANSPERANCY, I would pay a fee if they spent it on a proper PR department. I am not asking for the teams secrets but quit the BS. seriously

prizby
08-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Prizby, I like your suggestions. :)

im glad, i put my heart into them :) (take that AL-MO!!!)

seriously though, i think a chat with CC to talk tactics and starting players 2 or 3 nights before the next game, instead of CC fielding reporters questions, why not field questions from the fans...I believe Fortuna Koln in Germany have something like that, but its one step up, where they talk to manager and vote the starting line up..something like that...but im sure fans would love to have a chat with CC

the open practice would be really easy to manage, revoke privaliges and membership/ban from BMO Field if you screw around...

the most important thing though is a constant effort to get rid of scalpers, they are not wanted and one of these days, something will happen (a pissed off drunk fan), i can see it happening in the future

TorCanSoc
08-27-2009, 08:23 PM
i don't care about swag. I don't care about videos or magazines. I don't care about getting through the gates quicker. I don't care about discounts on merchandise.

I care about having a mechanism by which the members of the CLUB can influence the direction of the club in a MEANINGFUL way. You agree to that and I'll pay the price.

Anything else is a cheap marketing vehicle that will only line your pockets more than they are already being lined.

:yesnod: well said.

My only addition would be...MLSE show us your intent is to win some championships.

MFG1
08-27-2009, 08:24 PM
^ seriously though some fans are more informed than some of the reporters, I doubt they would let fans have carte blanche to ask cummins or any player questions without them being fielded first.

Whoop
08-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Not going to quote them, but I agree with Canadian_Bhoy and VPjr.

For the record I am a member of SL Benfica and Ajax Amsterdam. With Benfica I am given a vote for president, while the Ajax membership is more of a swag thing mainly because I don't live in the Netherlands.

prizby, I think PB was being sarcastic.

GuelphStorm2007
08-27-2009, 08:33 PM

I totally agree with you..

wzhxvy
08-27-2009, 08:38 PM
It's not about the $300.

When I buy a monthly GO pass, it's so I can get to work and generate income. TFC on the other hand is entertainment that we spend our heard earned income on, and if the club continues to put crap on the field, we can speak with our wallets. Ticket sales will go down, along with beer and concession stand sales.

No one is arguing that...but at the end of the day, its all about the money. $40 bucks is not going to buy you anything other than junk.

wzhxvy
08-27-2009, 08:42 PM
If you think by paying a fee that MLSE is going to allow a group to have a say in any matter pertaining to any of their interests, you are all real conissieurs of crack. But I would pay a membership fee to be allow to dressup like this on game days;
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Business/images/kool-aid-man.jpg

CLUB TRANSPERANCY, I would pay a fee if they spent it on a proper PR department. I am not asking for the teams secrets but quit the BS. seriously

Dude, how much you think they are paying MO...more than 500K per year ? If someone offered to pay the GM's salary why would TFC not give them a voice...at the end of they day, they own the business operations and the day to day decisions...all their are doing is giving the members a voice to assess the macro results and make changes in team leadership or certain decisions.

AL-MO
08-27-2009, 08:43 PM
im glad, i put my heart into them :) (take that AL-MO!!!)

You put heart into this? :p

I would demand the right to vote on a hire/fire the president (this being Richard Peddie of MLSE) (this is unconditional and I hope it everyone TFC fan would agree in making this unconditional)

wzhxvy
08-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Can you imagine PB putting this idea to Ansalami ? I would like to sell the right to fire my boss's boss...what do you think Tom ? LOL....oh not to mention TFC fans will have the right to fire the President of all of MLSE (Leafs, Raptors, Marlies and TFC)....

AL-MO
08-27-2009, 08:47 PM
No one is arguing that...but at the end of the day, its all about the money. $40 bucks is not going to buy you anything other than junk.

This isn't about money, it would be about principle. If there isn't anything in it other than some swag and a magazine, then its a waste of time cash grab.

prizby
08-27-2009, 08:48 PM
You put heart into this? :p

Yes sir!

wzhxvy
08-27-2009, 08:50 PM
This isn't about money, it would be about principle. If there isn't anything in it other than some swag and a magazine, then its a waste of time cash grab.

But how is it not about money ? If its not about money all STH would automatically be members and have access to whatever these privelages are. How many none STHs will be interested in these realistically.

I think this is all about money in exchange for value. My point is that we are not going to get anything of value for $40. But ofcourse its about money, PB's job is to maximize revenue on a relatively fixed asset, and this is how you do it.

ArmenJBX
08-27-2009, 08:51 PM
How about putting card zones in hotspots all over Toronto, allowing locals to explore the city and get incentives. For example, going up the CN Tower and swiping the card would register as receiving a special TFC Wallpaper with the CN tower in the background. Going to Caribana would get you a latin TFC chant ringtone or something. I dunno, there's plenty you could do and it would give fans a sense of adventure no?

egoodwin
08-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Paul, this idea of yours reminds me of that commercial for Capital One, where the Bank guy has his hand in everyone's back pocket...

I don't need a vote on President. I don't care who the President is.
I don't need free TFC gear. If I wanted TFC gear, I'd buy it with the discount card or at another retailer, and actually use it.
I don't need a TFC magazine either. Between the Soccer 360 end of year special, and the several blogs, such as Curva, I get all the information on the team I really want to know, without it going through the MLSE filter.

Most of all I AM NOT PAYING $xxxxxx.xx for the Right to buy my season tickets, by joining a mandatory "membership club" or whatever name you are covering this Seat Licencing Bullshit with.

You got it right in year 1 and year 2, I don't see why in Year 3, TFC FO had to screw up the formula that made TFC a success...

If we do get this thing, and voting rights, we best be able to vote all the key positions

flatpicker
08-27-2009, 08:56 PM
^ I agree that for season ticket holders, things don't need to change much

But I like the suggestions for non-STH's...
For them, being able to get better access to tickets or discounts on merch could be beneficial.

stugautz
08-27-2009, 08:56 PM
If I bundle my Toronto FC membership with my RPB membership, would I receive a discount? :D

But in all seriousness I don't think fans should be allowed to vote for management. Look at starting lineups for allstar games as an example. It's rarely the best players, it's the most popular that get in. I'm opposed to this in that aspect. If it's a typical fan club and the swag included is scarves and discounts on car rentals, airlines and hotels for road trip games, I'm all for it (especially if this means the difference between flying out of Buffalo and flying out of Toronto).

For non-STH holders like myself it would be nice to be given first crack at available tickets and special lines to enter the stadium.

AL-MO
08-27-2009, 09:01 PM
But how is it not about money ? If its not about money all STH would automatically be members and have access to whatever these privelages are. How many none STHs will be interested in these realistically.

I think this is all about money in exchange for value. My point is that we are not going to get anything of value for $40. But ofcourse its about money, PB's job is to maximize revenue on a relatively fixed asset, and this is how you do it.

Trust me, I think we agree. :)

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-27-2009, 09:04 PM
what i would like in a membership if it goes that way is the right to my seat for all football at BMO, TFC, Canada Int'ls, club friendlies like the upcoming Celtic v Benfica match. a magazine dedicated to TFC/MLS.
free admission to the academy games, etc. dont think we have to do like Seattle and let the fans vote on if the GM keeps his job, thats just a farce.

flatpicker
08-27-2009, 09:26 PM
^ we pretty much have all that already... except the Celtic game.

Blizzard
08-27-2009, 09:28 PM

Well, my view is if that you are going to be offered "membership" in TFC, it shouldn't be a membership in a supporter's club. It has to attempt to be something more.

IMO, voting for a member or two on some sort of advisory group that connects with club management is a feasible way to go without aiming too high. They are still a business after all and there is only so far they would be willing to go.

Perhaps it is only a more structured communications system compared to the less formal arrangement that exists now with PB and the supporter's group leaders but that is worth something IMO.

Perhaps it is a "Supporter's Advisory Council" or something like that.

Anyway, just putting it out there.

The key thing is that it is NOT a "supporter's club".

Hitcho
08-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Any kind of link between paid membership and ticket purchases is a dangerous road, even for non-STH's. I would hate to see TFC go down that road. Think about it - you are paying for the right to pay. Madness. Plus scalpers will flood the bloody thing and the whole ticket access issue will get WORSE, not better.

If the scheme was free and a way for fans to "officially" sign up for club membership (with no real benefits other than token crap) then that'd be a nice way to give everyone an umbrella to stand under and say "we are TFC fans".

If there's any kind of fee invovled, then there has to be something offered that is really worth the money and which you couldn't otherwise get hold of, like sending out signed player prints once a season, an invite to a pre or post season meet n greet with the entire squad or limited edition memorabilia that isn't on general sale. ie, stuff people would want and that makes membership worthwhile.

If all that's offered is (more) merch or things you can easily obtain, there's no point and people will feel like MLSE is snuffling at the trough even more than usual.

I also agree 100% with Mike on this issue - go back to the season one roots, re-connect with fans in a meaningful way and draw people for the right reasons, not because you want to arse fuck them for more money.

ochos
08-27-2009, 09:50 PM
This is a joke. Somehow, down the line, I feel like I'm going to be forced to make the decision of whether or not to support this club anymore...

Super
08-27-2009, 10:32 PM
My season tickets are around 700 bucks. I'm not sure I like the idea of having to pay money to have access to renew my tickets, or even the other idea floating around of a seat license fee. I understand that MLSE is a business, but first produce some results, win us the league a couple of times, and then we, the supporters at least, might be willing to shell out a bit more cash. For now, though, I think we're paying more than enough for the product delivered.

andyc
08-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Membership in the UK was originally driven by the need to ID fans especially for away games... If you're not a member you can't buy away trips - Kinda what RPBs have done.

I don't understand the need for membership other than growing revenue. I don't need to pay $xx to be able to buy my seats and maybe get a dvd...

Any power of voting over key decisions will never be anything more than an advisory board with no real control. Let's be serious here, would a major corporation that is happy ($ wise) with their GM, let their consumers that pay $20/year for a scarf that they used to get with their season tickets vote their guy out???

C'mon...

flatpicker
08-27-2009, 10:46 PM
so far, after all the comments posted in here, the only logical situation for a membership card, that I can see, would be for non season ticket holders.

Cashcleaner
08-27-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm pretty sure that as a season ticket holder I'm already a member with the club, yes?

I have a card which gets me a discount at Centre Sports (BTW, do we get discounts at the Club Store yet?), I receive regular emails from the FO about upcoming games and events, and any items of TFC swag I might want should probably just be offered for sale like any other piece of merchandise.

So in the end, what would I get out of a TFC membership that I don't need or already have?

T.O TILL I DIE
08-27-2009, 10:55 PM
U guys talk about getting these amazing perks
but the real question is will mlse provide all these things
and alott of the sth just sit and chill like there at a blue jays game
i really cant wait for next year so i can move into the new north end were the sg will be *hopefully* so i can actually chant and be apart of a supporter group

huphup
08-27-2009, 11:03 PM

I'd see more value in getting a deeper discount on TFC merchandise that the now 10%. As an example, b

Become a member and get 25% off the new season jersey.

Agreed - membership packages are most appealing to non-STH. This would be a bigger hit if we had more seats available to the general public for regular season games. When looking to attend a match in England as a non-STH, one of the best methods is to join a club membership and hope that you have priority access to tickets.

For existing STHs, the benefits need to be VERY clear. They should also be benefits granted by the FO to us to increase our access to the team and valuable memorabilia. Anything that we can generate ourselves or that does not create much value for us should not be a focal point. E.g. scarves, pins, videos

Exclusive signing sessions and online access to game coverage (+archives) is something that definitely appeals to me.

Blizzard
08-27-2009, 11:09 PM
I'm pretty sure that as a season ticket holder I'm already a member with the club, yes?

I have a card which gets me a discount at Centre Sports (BTW, do we get discounts at the Club Store yet?), I receive regular emails from the FO about upcoming games and events, and any items of TFC swag I might want should probably just be offered for sale like any other piece of merchandise.

So in the end, what would I get out of a TFC membership that I don't need or already have?

That's my point. It has to be above and beyond in some way.

BuSaPuNk
08-27-2009, 11:09 PM
^ I agree that for season ticket holders, things don't need to change much

But I like the suggestions for non-STH's...
For them, being able to get better access to tickets or discounts on merch could be beneficial.

I agree as a partial pack holder and discounts and better access to tickets would be great. Even if there was a mass e-mail sent when holds of seats are being relesed or something like that.

If I bundle my Toronto FC membership with my RPB membership, would I receive a discount? :D

If it's a typical fan club and the swag included is scarves and discounts on car rentals, airlines and hotels for road trip games, I'm all for it (especially if this means the difference between flying out of Buffalo and flying out of Toronto).

For non-STH holders like myself it would be nice to be given first crack at available tickets and special lines to enter the stadium.

It's true if there was an orgainized trip for every away game and especially with the FO orgainizing it the prices would be low for the tripper...and the FO could even put "fees" to these trip prices. I'm sure they could get better prices with more numbers then our road trip team could as were limited in numbers that go to away games. (No offense to the road team, you guys are great)

Oblio2
08-27-2009, 11:26 PM

I brought this upo in season 1 and was LAUGHED at on this board...well, maybe the porno board but nonetheless.....

Tottenham fans have a Supporters TRUST which works with the club-for the fans. Their mission statement:

The Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Trust informal mission statement is :-
· To help THFC achieve constant and sustained success.
· To unite and represent all Spurs’ fans and to exercise their collective power.
· To improve communication and understanding between the Club and its supporters.

Check it out online: http://www.tottenhamtrust.com/index.asp

Blizzard
08-27-2009, 11:29 PM
I brought this upo in season 1 and was LAUGHED at on this board...well, maybe the porno board but nonetheless.....

Tottenham fans have a Supporters TRUST which works with the club-for the fans. Their mission statement:

· To unite and represent all Spurs’ fans and to exercise their collective power.
· To improve communication and understanding between the Club and its supporters.

That is a good mission statement IMO. I could see us picking up on that.

905shmick
08-27-2009, 11:59 PM

The fee IS just £1 FOR ONE YEAR MEMBERSHIP, £10 FOR FIVE YEARS, AND £25 FOR LIFE MEMBERSHIP!

Enter MLSE - The fee IS just $25 FOR ONE YEAR MEMBERSHIP, $100 FOR FIVE YEARS, AND $500 FOR LIFE MEMBERSHIP!

Lennon
08-28-2009, 12:52 AM

THIS

The only thing that really matters ...

Oh and could you please tell security to stop IDing me 5 times a game AFTER I purchase my $13 beer? It's getting ridiculous ...

mike
08-28-2009, 01:01 AM
if youre going to ASK what we want to get...

if this membership does not come with some sort of political benefit relating to the direction of the club, youre basically forcing me to pay for swag/coupons i either already get for free (scarf/discounted merch) or would never use.

how could any logical person possibly agree to that?

on the other hand, if youre simply TELLING us...

Super
08-28-2009, 01:22 AM
If MLSE wants to make more money it should expand the stadium ASAP and put a roof on the south end to create an even better atmosphere - which really is what sets this club apart from all others in this city. Might improve the TV viewership as well.

OR sell membership cards. There's a fool born every minute - so sign me up for one.

Wagner
08-28-2009, 05:57 AM
This is silly.

Think about how a good number of people, many of which are on this message board, and the u-sector board, bought tickets back in 2006. Investing in football in Toronto.

Part of the success is the rabid fans.
they use images of the crowd, they do a terrible parody of the crowd and use a chant in BMO ads (Cashzilla should be compensated), etc.

And now just 3 years in without producing anything except a fluke of a Voyageurs cup, which was promptly pissed away in Puerto Rico, they are floating ideas that on top of an inevitable ticket increase, that there may be Memberships for sale?

Please stop trying to squeeze the loyal fans that have been there since day one.
there must be other revenue sources to make the Teachers Happy.

London
08-28-2009, 06:01 AM
Our ASSES are going to hurt come winter!!!!!

Thank you ML$E

torontocelt
08-28-2009, 06:22 AM
This is nothing more than a cash grab.

Mikey
08-28-2009, 06:23 AM
Our ASSES are going to hurt come winter!!!!!

Thank you ML$E

Don't worry, next years season ticket package "free" gift will be a TFC inflatable cushion for our asses, because this FO cares....

Pookie
08-28-2009, 06:41 AM
We're looking at ways to make more people feel like part of this club. Many European clubs have a club membership model that ranges from Madrid who vote in the President every 4 years, to EPL clubs who make you buy a membership before you can purchase a ticket.

Look at Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, West Ham etc to see what I'm talking about.

a DVD of highlights?
souvenir booklet?
Newsletter?

It's probably best to look at what we already have:

- access to the ticket exchange
- first crack at tickets for events
- "Insider" mailing
- "dedicated" account rep
- player access, ie. pub crawls
- swag of some sort (ie. scarf)

What would membership need to give us that we don't already have in order to justify a cost?

- maybe a magazine but something other than what we currently get for free... similar to Hockey Canada's offering with profiles on Canadian players (including non-TFC), development tips for kids, etc
- discount on club gear (but if I am paying $25, that's 10% off a $250 purchase... is it really worth it)?
- discounts on away tickets and travel... though you'd have to offer significantly higher discounts than SGs manage to do on their own
-
-
-
-
-
-

**crickets**

.... I'm drawing a blank. I'm not trying to be negative but the things that would be useful to me are beyond your control. For example:

- guaranteed parking and easy exit from grounds
- assurance that the fee would be used to build more washrooms and give priority access to "members"
- access to a "narc line" in which scalpers are reported and if found guilty, tickets are offered to waiting list members

To me, the things you've done above are why this venture has been successful. If you start pulling those things and giving them only to those that pay a fee, you'll lose any advantage you've created.

As for the right to vote on management, I'm on the fence as to whether it is a good thing. For every informed person who would make a rational decision based on drafting and long term performance, you probably have 2 more that would base their decision on the most recent game or worse, the opinion of a media scribe.

I can say though that I am 100% against the idea of voting being contingent upon paying a fee. All of the STHs and PPHs have demonstrated their commitment to the club by paying an annual fee in the form of their tickets renewals. That's all that should matter.

London
08-28-2009, 06:44 AM
we already get a deal on merch, 15 %, SSH

TFC Tifoso
08-28-2009, 07:00 AM

This is silly.

Think about how a good number of people, many of which are on this message board, and the u-sector board, bought tickets back in 2006. Investing in football in Toronto.

Part of the success is the rabid fans.
they use images of the crowd, they do a terrible parody of the crowd and use a chant in BMO ads (Cashzilla should be compensated), etc.

And now just 3 years in without producing anything except a fluke of a Voyageurs cup, which was promptly pissed away in Puerto Rico, they are floating ideas that on top of an inevitable ticket increase, that there may be Memberships for sale?

Please stop trying to squeeze the loyal fans that have been there since day one.
there must be other revenue sources to make the Teachers Happy.

^ These two right here!!

Anything else is just buillshit......

TFCtoMUFC
08-28-2009, 07:43 AM
EDIT: I don't know how I feel after reading all this.

mlsintoronto
08-28-2009, 07:44 AM
sooo, if I'm hearing you correctly you don't want to have it mandatory for season seat holders? got it.

dont force it on season seat holders.

there are some good suggestions buried up there. Keep them coming.

TFCtoMUFC
08-28-2009, 07:46 AM
sooo, if I'm hearing you correctly you don't want to have it mandatory for season seat holders? got it.

So the rest of us are going to be forced?

mlsintoronto
08-28-2009, 07:46 AM
Some people think this is some kind of seat licence play...no not the case. I don't see PSL's in our future. Those are generally put against construction projects.

London
08-28-2009, 07:47 AM
what we are saying is It better be worth it!!!,

we already have pretty good perks as is, so to charge us money now for services we already get would be crazy.

if you have value in your membership, i will look at it

mlsintoronto
08-28-2009, 07:47 AM
So the rest of us are going to be forced?

huh? I cant force you to do anything....just like we don't force people to buy mini packs or single game tickets.

trane
08-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Again while I understand the concenrs, if it is done right I am all for it.

Eastend
08-28-2009, 08:08 AM
EDIT: Apperently not per PB in a post a few above mine. (I don't want a seat licence ala Leafs....as this is pretty much what this is.)

I think being a SSH makes me a part of the club already and being an RPB is another way I support this team.

If these memberships become a reality, which they will, I think it should be optional...not a condition of being a SSH...and should come with a vote that means something at the top...

Parkdale
08-28-2009, 08:09 AM
so... let's pull my inaugural season club member card out of the wallet....

'perks' listed on the card:

advanced access and 15% discount on team merch
access to members entrance 15 minutes before gates open
club member discount for additional regular season matches
access to exclusive members only team parties
advanced window and discounts on international games
free access to toronto fc reserve games
four issues of free kick magazine
special offers form tfc corporate partners

so, let's break these down one by one

1. yes there's a discount, but and I guess the 'kit party' was advanced access, but not really.
2. this has never happened. ever.
3. I think that was if you wanted to buy extra tickets (like walkups on game day). There's no discount.
4. again, there's exclusive parties if you PAY to play.
5. this one is accurate, and there was a 'loyalty' discount for RM. riiight.
6. nope, there's no more reserves.
7. this was nice, but ended after the first season
8. oh wow.... I'm privileged to have phone companies and credit cards bug me before the game. wow.

my point: TFC hardly lives up to the things we were given in the first season,
so what would a new membership possibly have to offer us now?

canadian_bhoy
08-28-2009, 08:17 AM

In other words - it's coming, you don't have to be a part of it, but it's coming.

I find it really sad that fans will be freezed out of player signings, events, ticket offers etc if they don't pony up for the membership scheme.

mlsintoronto
08-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Parkie that was year one. The offer has changed every year since.

lintberg
08-28-2009, 08:21 AM
How much is the 'Membership" going to cost??

Parkdale
08-28-2009, 08:23 AM

I know, and has decreased in value (despite rising in price) ever since then.
What did we get last year beyond the 15% discount on gear?

canadian_bhoy
08-28-2009, 08:24 AM

It sure has. ;)

lintberg
08-28-2009, 08:25 AM
It does seem to be a bit pointless, based on the fact that STH's seem to have most of the perks already and seat prices are steadily rising, it appears to be just an excuse to line MLSE's pockets....Again!

mlsintoronto
08-28-2009, 08:26 AM
In other words - it's coming, you don't have to be a part of it, but it's coming.

I find it really sad that fans will be freezed out of player signings, events, ticket offers etc if they don't pony up for the membership scheme.

Mike you are one of the people who has pushed me toward this in the past. Feels like you're sucking and blowing on this. I truly am surprised...I thought you'd be pleased.

And as you keep pointing out we should go back to how we did things in the first season. What do you think this thread is about. I'm ASKING for opinion. I'm not taking things away from anyone!

People think it's cool that we ask questions and listen. You make it difficult.

But I still love you. Parkdale however, his picture ain't on my wall anymore. :)

Parkdale
08-28-2009, 08:27 AM
it's been said already, but if there are two way to be a 'member' of the club

A) have seasons in your name
B) sign up for the membership

then it would make sense. That way the non-SSH people out there can still get all the perks of membership.

Oblio2
08-28-2009, 08:28 AM
But I still love you. Parkdale however, his picture ain't on my wall anymore. :)

Put it in the bathroom :)

Parkdale
08-28-2009, 08:28 AM

my guess is that Mo stole it, along with your stapler.

Mark in Ottawa
08-28-2009, 08:29 AM

+1
The increasing of revenue is just part of big business.

Unfortunately in North America this can generate the effect of season tickets going to corporations, limiting the ability of "cash limited" fans from attending games and supporting the club and ends up creating a "fans sitting on hands" atmosphere which is the last thing a soccer club should want.

canadian_bhoy
08-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Mike you are one of the people who has pushed me toward this in the past. Feels like you're sucking and blowing on this. I truly am surprised...I thought you'd be pleased.

And as you keep pointing out we should go back to how we did things in the first season. What do you think this thread is about. I'm ASKING for opinion. I'm not taking things away from anyone!

People think it's cool that we ask questions and listen. You make it difficult.

I hope you read my post before Paul - I'm expressing my feelings on this because I care and I want the club to do well both on and off the pitch. I'm doing my best to not be overly negative or to bombard you when you come on the board.

I am certainly a fan of the smart card system. It would streamline the ticketing process, deter scalpers and in a scary big brother way, allow TFC to gain a better understanding of their fans through their purchase behaviour. You could put perks into the card as well...but why can't that just be part of the STH program, why the extra fee.

As far as memberships go though, I don't really support the idea. I don't see the benefit for this type of program for season ticket holders.

I do think that TFC needs to take an approach to try and capture the non-STH base, I'm just not sure if this is how to do it.

nobodybeatsthewiz
08-28-2009, 08:30 AM
It sure has. ;)

i dont know about you, but im looking forward to my $400 ($200 X 2) early bird fall 06 tix being north of U$1530 next yr or at longest a few yrs. i use that number because of:

http://bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aPELkEvCj5_E

i wonder what MLSE can use as justification for future increases? creativity will be at a premium assuming they cant buy kaka or ronaldo or benzema or xabi or....or or or.

CretanBull
08-28-2009, 08:31 AM
I know, and has decreased in value (despite rising in price) ever since then.
What did we get last year beyond the 15% discount on gear?

You got the privilage of using your time, money and resources to create an atmosphere that MLSE turned around sold for private profit didn't you? And it only cost you a small increase in ticket price. What more do you bloodsuckers want?

Parkdale
08-28-2009, 08:33 AM
What more do you bloodsuckers want?

http://www.books-about-california.com/Images/Paul_Bunyan/Mosquito_Bee.gif

CretanBull
08-28-2009, 08:36 AM
http://www.books-about-california.com/Images/Paul_Bunyan/Mosquito_Bee.gif

A perfect depiction of TFC supporters leeching off the kind generousity of the team's corporate ownership.

pepher
08-28-2009, 08:37 AM
I do like the idea of more frequent open practices... I have a new born and have missed a few games this year catching the games on tv with him (can't bring him to a game yet). more open practices would give me a chance to bring him to BMO and sit and watch the team as it has evolved, adding new players, monitoring 'who's injured', etc... without having to worry about the crowds, noise, drunks or missing a minute of the game.

Speaking 'selfishly' and realistically if being asked to pay more for membership:
1. exclusive invites to more private functions. i'm not talking about big gala events... bring back the pub crawl! Loved driving from Markham to Burlington to meet a couple of the guys at the Ceilidh House.
2. Open Practices more often (see above).
3. Online chat with Coach. 2 days before game day or whatever... add this to the Open Practice scouting would make me feel like an 'insider'
4. don't expect it honestly but 'bigger discounts' on TFC licensed products. How about 'special' shopping days? Before the season? At the end of the season? Just before the Xmas holiday break? Not at the game but at ACC? Members only 25% off. Deeper discounts on non-returning designs (get rid of that old inventory (for me) and add some 'full margin' product to them hangers (for you))!

Speaking more broadly for members I can't really say. A lot of very interesting suggestions have already been made in this thread. I personally would never expect a 'say' on hiring and firing after only 3 years. For some reason I equate this with a team that enjoys a long history or a team with a smaller financial statement balance. Membership to purchase tickets doesn't makes sense either. $20 to buy, even the scalpers would buy. $50, same thing. Add a fee would really only add to MLSE's bottom line. How about presenting photo I.D. at some point before getting your tickets as a way to possibly weed out the scalpers. I mean c'mon, we know what those guys look like and if they're stupid enough to put the tickets in their own name they'll be done.

Last but not least, a Membership Only tourney for charity. I have played a few tourney's at BMO and played with some friends that are not SSH's. Teams by section or North, South, East and West. This again is a 'shelfish' one cause I love playing... at BMO... and for a charity! who wouldn't? it would also give section neighbours a chance to meet and greet. my section (104) is a rather mixed group and playing together on a team would be a great opportunity to share thoughts on the section (good or bad).

That's all I got for now.

Last but not least, it's hard to see a benefit to 'paying more' regardless of what we get out of it (schwag, open practices) when the quality of play on the pitch is still so up and down. I want to compete on the field. I want to win more 'away' games. I'll give you $20 if we win more away games...

canadian_bhoy
08-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Paul,

I dug up my old post on the subject. I think I misused the word membership; I was trying to imply that being a STH made you a member (as it does now).

This was one of the suggestions I made (toot toot <-- my own horn) in the "what are we getting in our ST packs).

I think this would be amazing to have at BMO.

- No wasteful paper tickets
- Simple easy system for fans
- HARDER FOR SCALPERS TO SELL TICKETS
- quicker lines at the gates
- card can be combo'd with a membership rewards program or even store cash (like the tim hortons card) which can be used at concessions etc. (i.e. more quicker lineS).

Parkdale
08-28-2009, 08:41 AM
I'll give you $20 if we win more away games...

hell, I'd pay $20 for every road goal they score.

Blazer
08-28-2009, 08:46 AM

a DVD of highlights?
souvenir booklet?
Newsletter?

How about season tickets that are moderately paralleled (in price) to the value of football we watch and moreover, reflective of the teams previous years’ performance? To me, these games from my section (111) are of no more value than 15 bucks a game. It might not make me feel like a “part of the team” but it would certainly leave me with less ill will towards the ass clowns (MLSE) who frivolously collect what they want from me just because I’m a footy fan. Don’t rape me and maybe I’ll feel like “part of this team”.

We’re not Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, etc. so let’s just stop right there.

I already have scarves out the wazoo.

I’m a season ticket holder so I watch the highlights live – don’t need a DVD.

Online benefit component? Like the idea.

Newsletter? No thanks. Childs play.

“Sky’s the limit”. Sure, but not at the cost of STHs. I pay just enough now and don’t need the silly tassels that seemingly make this product better. When the team starts winning and the organization earns my loyalty (and subsequent money), then let’s talk about ad-ons. Until then, let’s let this shit show grow into a respectable entity before we start looking for more ways to juice the loyalists (STHs).

scooter
08-28-2009, 08:53 AM
yes and if you have seasons why should we have to pay more
i dont mind buying tickets to extra games and paying for open practices
but its a two way street maybe the club should be giving more perks to
the loyal ssh

i will ask paul to respond to this " why is it perceived that mlse is interested
i nothing but money " -- i am not nieve that its a business -- but maybe the
fans dont think they are getting enough bang for the buck --you want to make
more money put a winning team on the pitch -- win the league and the money
and swag sales will go through the roof and no one will feel gyped

added bonus no more whinning on boards

oh and grass for the players will be part of winning too and i know thats being
worked on but time is running out

i dont really want to bring this up but just cause the stadium is sold out now
lets not make the maple laughs mistake -- we need a winning team now

i love tfc i bleed red i get pissed when we loose but us fans need something back
all i want is to win

Parkdale
08-28-2009, 08:55 AM
added bonus no more whinning on boards

I'd pay $20 for that too!

but I doubt it would stop. TFC could win the World Cup, and then travel into space and play a team of alien all-stars and people would still find something to whine about.

don't get me wrong, sometimes the complaints are 100% justified, but often they aren't.

reggie
08-28-2009, 09:00 AM
if i can get a vote to fire no show MO...Im in.

Parkdale
08-28-2009, 09:01 AM
:idea:

this might be a way to consolidate all the various waiting lists, and also a way to get them to pay some money. Right now, people on the lower waiting list haven't paid anything. It would be like a deposit to show they are really interested.

tlear
08-28-2009, 09:03 AM
In Europe lots of football clubs are actually parts of bigger sport clubs. For example in east europe you have Dynamo clubs (like Dynamo Kyiv) that are not only a football team and a development system but there is also a sport complex (running track, olympic pool etc) also many schools are affiliated with Dynamo. When I was in grade 1 I used to wear a tshirt with blue D on it which was part of the school being affiliated with Dynamo (it was fencing specialized though). When we had to learn to swim we it would be at the Dynamo pool

How awesome would it be to have a sport club branded with TFC? You could build a gym with a pool, training field for the academy, sport/physio clinic.. all kinds of stuff. I would rather pay my $70 something a month to a TFC gym/club then to Good Life fitness.

CretanBull
08-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Remember when the "best fans" were the people who supported a terrible team for 3 years because they were passionate about seeing the game they loved succeed in the city they loved? Now the "best fans" are the ones most willing to fork over their money..."You've done you're duty old timer - you planted the seeds, but now that the field is fertile we're more interested in cash crop".

rocker
08-28-2009, 09:15 AM
the management voting thing is the only reason I'd go for a membership.
Just go ask Drew Carey how they do it in Seattle. Implement that, since everybody kisses Drew Carey's ass and thinks he's awesome ;)

The only problem in membership voting for management is the old "be careful what you wish for" line. Because the public opinion on message boards does not necessarily reflect public opinion of the 16500 season ticket holders. So if the 16500 season ticket holders buy a membership and vote on management, there's a good chance it won't go your way......

Sometimes the best voting is to vote with your pocketbook and do not renew season's.

Hitcho
08-28-2009, 09:34 AM

Paul - I think it would help if you threw out a few ideas of what is being considered from the FO's end on this. If you give us a blank mandate, then you're going to get a whole lot of complaining about cash grabbing coupled with people wanting the chance to fire Mo!

You said there are some good ideas buried in here and I think there are too, but if you put some parameters on this thing, then you might find that you exponentially increase the value of what you're getting from this.

For example:

- what kind of price range is being considered by FO? (You must have mooted something between you all or you'd all be fired by MLSE instantly)

- what kind of perks are you thinking about offering? Is it a newsletter and a parking discount, or is it "pure" TFC stuff that you wouldn't otherwise be able to get, like invites to player meet n greets, one open practice session a month, sending out signed player prints once a season, etc (ie, not waffle based crap that doesn't really benefit you as a TFC fan, just as a basic consumer)

- is this tied in to any kind of smart card proposal and if so how might that whole thing work?

I have listed some of the things I'd like to see above, and I'd say that discounts and newsletters are nice to have but basically worthless to fans. Try getting back to the inaugural season roots more and get us up close and personal with the club and the players. I now that's harder to do now that you have 40,000 people following the team instead of 4,000, but see what you can come up with. Signed prints, meet n greets, open practice sessions, monthly draws to win a trip to an away game and get to fly with the boys, etc.

I get all the news I need from the club website, the media and these boards.

I get a discount on merch from my STH card and I get a scarf every year with my STH pack (both of which I really like, please don't stop either of those for STH!)

I can get extra tickets already from the box office, ticket trader and these boards - it costs me nothing for the ability to do so.

None of these things add any any real value. "Pure" TFC stuff does, and if you design a membership scheme that lets non-STH and STH alike get access to that kind of stuff, then I think it would A) be a great idea, B) be great value if priced fairly and C) really help foster the bonds between club and fans (which don't get me wrong, I think are really good already, but it would really make this club stand out in MLS and internationally to just keep building and building on that).

Cheers

Hitcho

Parkdale
08-28-2009, 09:37 AM
^ great post Hitcho.

Dave67
08-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Paul B,

There is almost nothing you can offer me at this time. I do not currently feel that this team is spending the huge amount of money we generate to improve the product on the field. If I believed Toronto FC were spending enough of the money generated to improve the club I could consider paying a fee. As it stands all I can see a fee doing is adding to the Teachers Pension Fund.

Consider the money you are already receiving.

1. My STH money for 2 seats
2. My concession money
3. My purchase of Toronto FC gear
4. My subscription to GolTv

I really think Toronto FC are starting to get carried away with themselves. Perhaps Toronto FC can improve the quality of the team and actually earn what I am already spending before asking me about spending more? The sky is not the limit here. You can price me out of this team.

C.Ronaldo
08-28-2009, 09:54 AM
ONLY if i can vote for the GM every 4 years.

Otherwise forget it.

I'm not giving MLSE another penny until on field performance has improved. Not to mention fan respect (i.e GRASS)

some real ideas though.

GO Train/TTC Game day pass cards that allows unlimited public transit use on game days. (card with TFC logo on it)
License Plates offered only through membership
TFC Logo'd Bank Cards with BMO
Merchandise with TFC "GOLD" seal - a membership jersey, hat, etc....
TFC loyatly points
TFC Picnics (this one would be your best "make me feel part of the team" idea)

ps, why are we doing Paul's research work for him.

C.Ronaldo
08-28-2009, 09:58 AM
You said there are some good ideas buried in here and I think there are too, but if you put some parameters on this thing, then you might find that you exponentially increase the value of what you're getting from this.

parameters :)

business class flash backs :rolleyes:

Listen to those MBA classes Paul.

Parkdale
08-28-2009, 10:04 AM
TFC loyatly points

this is a whole thread into itself, one that I'd rather not ever see.

CretanBull
08-28-2009, 10:06 AM

Because he's smart ;)

ensco
08-28-2009, 10:11 AM
I think a clear separation between the clubs and the supporters groups is in everyones best interest.

Supporters do things that corporations don't want to be part of, or even know about.

Any official "tiering" of the fan base (whether it be SSH, SSH wait list, or any other way), aside from separating those who want to stand from those who don't, will lead to Euro style problems.

I believe that this board (with Paul's participation/encouragement) is in and of itself an interesting experiment in allowing input and debate for all. I would like that to continue.

joel
08-28-2009, 10:11 AM
I should clarify, I think the 'memebership' thing only really applies to non-STH. I'm already a STH, so really I should already have the same access and more, and not have to pay.

From a management perspective the membership option puts up a barrier to entry for non-STH, and allows you to differentiate between the people that are seriously interested in the club, and the non-committals that are on your waiting list just because it was free, and may not actually want seasons anyway.

I'm talking as a business, as a fan of the game, yes it's a more intelligent revenue generator. Can I have a job now? :p

Parkdale
08-28-2009, 10:12 AM
I think a clear separation between the clubs and the supporters groups is in everyones best interest.

otherwise we'd be Seattle, where the FO does all the work for the SG's.

Wagner
08-28-2009, 10:18 AM

zing!

Blazer
08-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Paul B,

There is almost nothing you can offer me at this time. I do not currently feel that this team is spending the huge amount of money we generate to improve the product on the field. If I believed Toronto FC were spending enough of the money generated to improve the club I could consider paying a fee. As it stands all I can see a fee doing is adding to the Teachers Pension Fund.

Consider the money you are already receiving.

1. My STH money for 2 seats
2. My concession money
3. My purchase of Toronto FC gear
4. My subscription to GolTv

I really think Toronto FC are starting to get carried away with themselves. Perhaps Toronto FC can improve the quality of the team and actually earn what I am already spending before asking me about spending more? The sky is not the limit here. You can price me out of this team.

+1 (and likely tens of thousands more) Great and accurate post skint!

Fort York Redcoat
08-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Love the fact they're trying to offer more. I don't feel the need to pay more to get the product I'm watching plus swag.

It's well known what we fans want. Most can even prioritze them.

A winning football club
Grass
Stadium upgrade

The rest is fun but distraction.

Blazer
08-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Winning football team = Grass + Stadium upgrade

CretanBull
08-28-2009, 10:26 AM

Are you trying to work your way from the Sports page to the Front page of Seatle's newspapers? :D

AL-MO
08-28-2009, 10:26 AM
I love diversions, don't you? :D

CretanBull
08-28-2009, 10:27 AM

What are you talking about....oh, look! A red TFC ballon (wanders off).

Parkdale
08-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Are you trying to work your way from the Sports page to the Front page of Seatle's newspapers? :D

better than me on 'Page 3'

CretanBull
08-28-2009, 10:31 AM
better than me on 'Page 3'

Too true! (no offence :D)

TFCtoMUFC
08-28-2009, 10:38 AM
ONLY if i can vote for the GM every 4 years.

Otherwise forget it.

I'm not giving MLSE another penny until on field performance has improved. Not to mention fan respect (i.e GRASS)

some real ideas though.

GO Train/TTC Game day pass cards that allows unlimited public transit use on game days. (card with TFC logo on it)
License Plates offered only through membership
TFC Logo'd Bank Cards with BMO
Merchandise with TFC "GOLD" seal - a membership jersey, hat, etc....
TFC loyatly points
TFC Picnics (this one would be your best "make me feel part of the team" idea)

Seriously that is the best idea in this thread, I love that and would instantly be a member for that.

bdiddy
08-28-2009, 10:38 AM
I do like the idea of the membership, being optional.

But with that; I think some cool ideas would be a:

Yearbook - Describing the ups and downs of the year, bio's, details on our youth clubs, etc. What TFC and it's Academy did as a whole.

Along with the Yearbook, once it's posted have an end of the year party/autograph session for those who are members, so that it can be signed or one other article can be signed.

Membership Parking Prices around the stadium - Either free or a discount.

Membership specific contests - If your a member and you win, you get to fly, maybe even train with the team, attend the game with the GM?

Membership perks - group bank plans? group discount rates, etc?

Pookie
08-28-2009, 10:46 AM
We're looking at ways to make more people feel like part of this club.

... maybe there are tiers where you get access to an allotment of tickets?

I re-read your original question and was surprised that I didn't catch this the first time through.

I am going to speak as a Gold Lister who has had to buy Marlies' tickets for 2 seasons now to support the team and maintain my position on the wait list... which is a $300+ priviledge per season... how exactly would someone who buys a membership "get access to an allotment of tickets"?

I assume you mean, "get access to an allotment of tickets after STHs, Gold and Red Listers have had their pick of them"...???

scooter
08-28-2009, 10:58 AM

cant wait for the on site reveiw of this hype

peterboroughtfcfan
08-28-2009, 11:02 AM

Are you kidding me Paul. Parkdale just pointed out holes in almost every single thing on that list and you're response is to tell him the list has changed every year. He's had tickets every year so I'm sure he's aware of that.

Don't blow sunshine up people's asses. They want you to be real with them. Seattle and Philly are doing a better job than you guys right now and regardless of the success that this team has had you can learn from them.

If you read any of the talk on this board you are aware that people feel that true, hardcore, fan support has slipped in the last two years. The pub crawls and the double decker busses were good ideas and they've long since gone. Very little worth mentioning has replaced them. I would suggest that at a minimum the team organize busses and a tailgate to an away game next year. Despite what happened the trip the first year to Columbus was a big success. Plan one for NYC next year and you'll get 3000 out - that's how you build hardcore support.

In short - if you want to claim that we're the best in the league start acting like it. There is no reason why Philly and Seattle should be outshining us after the support we've given the team.

scooter
08-28-2009, 11:16 AM

i just got that and had to come back to the thread and comment

well done alex - good point :drum::flare::canada:

pepher
08-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Organized road trip to Philly to welcome them into MLS...

ArmenJBX
08-28-2009, 11:25 AM
I just want a way of getting tickets easier. Right now, for me, I have to wait till the night before and hit up eBay or Ticketmaster. Even then, I'm overpaying for the seats, and I can't understand it. Ticketmaster puts me in a 25 dollar section and charges me 47 a seat. If this membership gives me a discount or even an advanced single game ticket sale, I'd buy it just because for me personally it's harder to get to the games. If this membership gets me up the list so I can get partials or even Season Seats, I'd take it in a heartbeat. But then everyone would buy them and we'd be at square one.

I think the only way a membership is going to work is if you market it to non season seat holders and give us SSH perks. For example, Ticket trader is for SSH only, which is kind of unfair if you think about it. They already have their season booked, but those who are selling them can only sell to those who already have a ticket for that game. The membership should DEFINITELY let us access ticket trader.

Introducing a kid membership for 13 and under would be cool too. Send the kids stuff per month like a Danny Dichio action figure (Although I'm sure everyone here would want one :D) a soccer ball, or a shirt or something. Just, make it so that the basic TFC fan has a reason to get it.

Just my 2 cents. Make something like that and I'd buy.

torontocelt
08-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Basically MLSE will attempt to sell you privaleges you already have (ie they will take them away and attempt to sell them back to you) or privaleges that will cost them nothing themselves. You never know you might get some cack Toronto FC merchandise / magazine that you don't really want or need but ultimately whatever they come up with will most probably make you feel that for the money you paid it just was not worth it. This has got cash grab written all over it.

All the talk of people willing to pay for TFC email addresses and people willing to pay TFC money for the rights to possibly be able to buy single game tickets before the public is baffling? Why would you want to give MLSE money for the right to be able to possibly buy a single ticket, isn't the single game tickets expensive enough?

People generally already pay enough or way too much currently. I feel sorry for all of the prawnies who pay $1,100 or more (premiership prices) to see such an inferior product. It really is bewildering how the MLSE can charge prices like that? To top it off the MLSE bundle packs together with Toronto Marlies tickets and then charge insane amounts of money for them, perhaps Paul could see about putting a stop to that? If you insist on bundling together none related sports which is to be frank the biggest cash grab going then how about including Raptors tickets or dare I say Leafs tickets? For the record do any Leafs fans or Raptors fans have to buy tickets for the Marlies?

torontocelt
08-28-2009, 11:32 AM
I just want a way of getting tickets easier. Right now, for me, I have to wait till the night before and hit up eBay or Ticketmaster. Even then, I'm overpaying for the seats, and I can't understand it. Ticketmaster puts me in a 25 dollar section and charges me 47 a seat. If this membership gives me a discount or even an advanced single game ticket sale, I'd buy it just because for me personally it's harder to get to the games. If this membership gets me up the list so I can get partials or even Season Seats, I'd take it in a heartbeat. But then everyone would buy them and we'd be at square one.

I think the only way a membership is going to work is if you market it to non season seat holders and give us SSH perks. For example, Ticket trader is for SSH only, which is kind of unfair if you think about it. They already have their season booked, but those who are selling them can only sell to those who already have a ticket for that game. The membership should DEFINITELY let us access ticket trader.

Introducing a kid membership for 13 and under would be cool too. Send the kids stuff per month like a Danny Dichio action figure (Although I'm sure everyone here would want one :D) a soccer ball, or a shirt or something. Just, make it so that the basic TFC fan has a reason to get it.

Just my 2 cents. Make something like that and I'd buy.

This is one of the benefits of purchasing a partial pack, one of the negatives of this is that you have to also buy Marlies tickets which no one wants.

C.Ronaldo
08-28-2009, 11:33 AM
^ ps Marlies SUCK, send them back to St Johns

sorry, just thought Id add to the rant

Gobi
08-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Have to agree with the smart posts by C_Bhoy, Parky, Hitcho, Skint, etc. etc.

Don't take away any of the perks and privileges that SSHs already have.
But seriously, we really don't need any more swag, and if we want more, we can buy it.

Yes, maybe more can be done to engage the non-SSHs and Gold/Red Listers, but you have to be delusional if you want to compare TFC to Barca or Chelsea.
We do not that level of support and interest, not to mention their records and results.

I agree we should look back to our roots (though kinda silly sounding in only year 3).
No, it'll never be like Year 1 again, but it would benefit everyone to revisit some of those early values and ethics.
(Wait, values and ethics are antithetical concepts to Marketing Types! But I know Paul, unlike most of his ilk, has a soul. Even a heart.)
Overcranking the marketing machine beyond its capacity will kill us.
We're not made of money, and repeated jabs will drive fans away.

I just want to support my team and hope that they will return the favour by working their asses off to win.

ArmenJBX
08-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Just give us partial packs. Please. None of the marlies. Have a heart FO, we're not made of cash...

I wasn't allowed to get the partial pack because my parents didnt' want to pay extra for those Marlies tickets. I don't know why they can't just sell partial packs. I dunno. These tickets have been a pain for me and for everyone I've talked to trying to get into TFC. It makes it seem like if you weren't there on day 1, you're not as important. I dunno if that's true for everyone, but that's how it is for me.

905shmick
08-28-2009, 11:37 AM
I just want a way of getting tickets easier. Right now, for me, I have to wait till the night before and hit up eBay or Ticketmaster.

If you wait till the night before you should be able to find tickets to pretty much every game in the ticket trader section here. i think there's also another ticket trader section for RPB members only, so maybe you'd be better off paying the yearly RPB membership fee for access to those tickets as well.

TorontoBlades
08-28-2009, 11:41 AM

unfortunately, i feel like this was much easier when there was a smaller group of passionate supporters - imagine them trying to throw a "90 minute" party at the conclusion of this year....

ArmenJBX
08-28-2009, 11:41 AM
If I were to buy from the RPB, do I pay them at the game? Because I dunno where/who to pay in real life :D

torontocelt
08-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Just give us partial packs. Please. None of the marlies. Have a heart FO, we're not made of cash...

I wasn't allowed to get the partial pack because my parents didnt' want to pay extra for those Marlies tickets. I don't know why they can't just sell partial packs. I dunno. These tickets have been a pain for me and for everyone I've talked to trying to get into TFC. It makes it seem like if you weren't there on day 1, you're not as important. I dunno if that's true for everyone, but that's how it is for me.

The FO does supply partial packs without Marlies tickets however they are in limited quantities. Basically they are all the same company and they want to fleece loyal TFC fans as much as they can in order to generate income for a product (Toronto Marlies) that no one in Toronto is interested in. Of course partial packs should just be football related, that is why TFC fans buy them but for Paul and the MLSE it is an opportunity to exploit loyal fans and suck as much money out of them as possible. I would love Paul to explain why one partial pack costs basically the same as a season ticket to TFC?

905shmick
08-28-2009, 11:44 AM
I don't really know the people here so I wouldn't know who/how to pay.

You send them an EMT interac payment, they'll email you a PDF of the ticket. Print it out and go to the game.

ArmenJBX
08-28-2009, 11:46 AM
gotcha, thanks for the help 905shmick :D

Pookie
08-28-2009, 11:47 AM
This is one of the benefits of purchasing a partial pack, one of the negatives of this is that you have to also buy Marlies tickets which no one wants.

Access to the exchange is indeed a benefit of having a partial pack. As is advanced access to CCL games, friendlies and anything else that comes down the pipe.

I am extremely curious to know what Paul means by membership may including having "access to an allotment of tickets."

Again, any Gold Lister on a partial pack has likely paid over $300 per year to maintain their position on the wait list and without expansion, is looking at a slow move into season seats... and likely expensive ones as they are the ones that come up first.

If the suggestion is that a "Paying Member" would get identical or worse, preferential access to tickets over Gold listers... well, then Houston, we have a problem.

Parkdale
08-28-2009, 11:49 AM
If I were to buy from the RPB, do I pay them at the game? Because I dunno where/who to pay in real life :D

it's just access to a forum section where people arrange trades among themselves.

tickets aren't sold by RPB, and all the usual 'buyer beware' things apply.

also, people who just want to join the RPB for access to tickets are not welcome.
We don't need any dead weight fans who aren't going to give back to the group.
(not saying anyone in specific, just in general terms, so don't get offended)

AL-MO
08-28-2009, 11:50 AM
If you wait till the night before you should be able to find tickets to pretty much every game in the ticket trader section here. i think there's also another ticket trader section for RPB members only, so maybe you'd be better off paying the yearly RPB membership fee for access to those tickets as well.

Only 1 ticket trader on this site.

Robin
08-28-2009, 11:50 AM
ML$E should stay focused on its two real priorities -- 1: helping TFC put the ball in the net a little more frequently and 2: installing a grass pitch.
We already know they're quite talented at separating us from our money.
I'll pass.

AL-MO
08-28-2009, 11:52 AM
i just got that and had to come back to the thread and comment

well done alex - good point :drum::flare::canada:

Don't give me credit. Hitcho mentioned it earlier in this thread.

ArmenJBX
08-28-2009, 11:53 AM
If I join the RPB It won't be for tickets you can trust me on that, I'd do it because I wanna support my team :D

I just need to establish a good way of getting to games if I can't get a Partial or a season.

eBay is cool...but they were selling Real Madrid tickets two weeks after the game, which makes me think that sometimes it isn't the best idea :D

jabbronies
08-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Manchester United membership is open to everyone and not mandatory for SSH
There's not really much here except the Swag and some Discounts:
The swag was pretty decent, but not really worth it and I probably won't buy it again.

Have priority over the general public when applying for match tickets. Due to the extremely high demand for tickets, the Club runs a ballot which is exclusive to One United Members. When tickets go on sale, Members can enter a ballot either online at manutd.com/eticketing or by calling 0161 868 8000.

• Receive a £5 discount for tickets to all Home Fixtures. Tickets rarely go on sale to the general public but when they do these tickets are full price.

• Gain free entrance into Home Reserve matches played at Moss Lane, Altrincham FC. Simply show your One United personalised membership card at the turnstile for free entry.

• Can apply to go on the Season Ticket waiting list. With demand ever increasing for the most sought after season tickets in Europe, we can carefully manage, should any become available, how we allocate Season Tickets. Then supporters who have put their name on the list will be first to be invited to apply for Season Tickets!

• Can see why over 250,000 people visit the Museum and Tour Centre each year with their 50% discount on entry. It is really something that you, your friends and family can savour as you immerse yourself in the history of the world’s most famous club.

• Obtain a 10% discount on purchases from the Megastore (both online and at the store). The Megastore has everything a devoted Reds fan could need. From shirts to scarves, mugs to mousemats and much more, supporters will be spoilt for choice!

•Receive a 10% discount on meals in the Red Café. The Red Café's new and improved menu boasts a fantastic range of meals, from leisurely lunches to succulent snacks. It's located just next to the tour centre and the perfect way to experience dining at the Theatre of Dreams.

• Will be given an 09/10 One United Membership Pack containing exclusive club merchandise. The welcome pack also gives you our own personalised Membership Card and welcome letter.

• Receive two One United magazines per season. Our mid and end of season mailers will keep Members up to date with all the latest One United news and also give them a unique insight into life at Old Trafford with our exclusive player interviews!

• Can enter monthly e-competitions to win exclusive prizes ranging from signed shirts and balls, to match tickets for various matches throughout the season.

• Members get access to the Manchester United Ticket Exchange powered by viagogo (http://manutd.viagogo.com/). The exchange is an online platform which allows Season Ticket holders and One United Members to buy and sell match tickets in a safe and guaranteed way.

Pookie
08-28-2009, 11:59 AM
^ I wonder if the Museum will have any artifacts from the recent match vs Burnley? ;)

jabbronies
08-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Manchest United Swag included:

Keychain
Beer bottle holder
Full Colour Game by Game review - best part of the package IMO
Interactive DVD
couple other small tokens i can't remember

jabbronies
08-28-2009, 12:02 PM
^ I wonder if the Museum will have any artifacts from the recent match vs Burnley? ;)

No but it includes my foot up your arse for bringing it up!!!!!! :incazzato:

Pookie
08-28-2009, 12:10 PM
No but it includes my foot up your arse for bringing it up!!!!!! :incazzato:

You've got to get it about 3 points higher to get it up my Blue arse.

It's not all lost though. Review the tape from tomorrow's match against Burnley, we'll show you the way for next time.

http://www.football-wallpapers.com/emoticons/chelsea/004.gif

brad
08-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Manchest United Swag included:

Keychain
Beer bottle holder
Full Colour Game by Game review - best part of the package IMO
Interactive DVD
couple other small tokens i can't remember

Access to tickets is what gets people to sign up though.

jabbronies
08-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Access to tickets is what gets people to sign up though.

My question is what type of access can people really get to these tickets??

16,000 tickets are already spoken for every game.
That leaves 4000 tickets per game for Season ticket holders, half season people, group sales, away supporters and these new "Members"

if there are 10,000 in this new membership, then what are your realistic odds of getting tickets?

jabbronies
08-28-2009, 12:30 PM
I think people, and I'm not talking about SSH's cos we should already get this stuff, would be interested in:

- Food Discounts at BMO and participating restaurants
- Merch. Discounts at BMO, Centre Sports and online (not sure where online though, but that gives people access to merch. from anywhere)
- Swag, good swag (mini scarves and kits, Keychains, full colour game by game year in review book).
- Free mags and not just free magazines full of ads and MLS garbage like those gameday books are filled with.
- Interactie DVD content - with Videos, Pictures, wallpapers
- Nice Glossy Team photo
- Player glossy photo
- access to open practices
- 1-2 free academy game tickets

Gobi
08-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Oh my god, people, please stop talking about MUFC in this thread!
Apples and frickin' oranges!

brad
08-28-2009, 12:34 PM

That leaves 4000 tickets per game for Season ticket holders, half season people, group sales, away supporters and these new "Members"

if there are 10,000 in this new membership, then what are your realistic odds of getting tickets?

Actually, good. I checked out the ticket exchange, there were enough tickets available through that. Only singles though.

However, the non-STH in Manchester that I've know have manged to get into a handful of matches a year through this. Not bad considering the demand.

Pookie
08-28-2009, 12:36 PM

... and where would they fit in queue?

Gold Listers have already paid $300 plus a year for Marlies' tickets to hold their place in line.

Red Listers are fans that are already on the waiting list.

So, does $25 (for the sake of argument) get you ahead of Red Listers that have been there for awhile, waiting for their chance at a Partial Pack? Does it get you on par or ahead of Gold Listers?

For CCL events, friendlies etc, Gold Listers got an advanced window to buy seats. Does this $25 membership get you this same window? Does membership give you access to the exchange?

I buy the partial pack for a couple of reasons:

a) Given my place in line, I haven't yet been offered a season seat. We want them so intend to keep our place in line so that we will eventually get seats (hopefully, that's in the same year as the team makes its first playoff appearance)
b) It gets me Ticket Exchange priviledges so I go to every game anyways
c) It gets me advanced purchases on other events (CCL, Canadian Championships, possibily even a playoff date).

I accept that I have to buy Marlies tickets for the above priviledges. That's worth about $300 in my mind as I keep buying the packs.

Now, if the club were to offer the same priviledges for a $25 membership fee, I'd feel a genuine sense of being screwed over for the last 2 years.

brad
08-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Oh my god, people, please stop talking about MUFC in this thread!
Apples and frickin' oranges!

Yes and no, both teams have sold out stadiums with long waiting lists of people that can't get in (easily - not everyone trolls Internet boards).

Since the initial question references Arsenal, Chelsea, ect I think it's fair game.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-28-2009, 12:44 PM
it's been said already, but if there are two way to be a 'member' of the club

A) have seasons in your name
B) sign up for the membership

then it would make sense. That way the non-SSH people out there can still get all the perks of membership.

have to agree there parky....im a season seat holder....this membership should be inlcuded..

IF your a supporter without a season seat....and want to be apart of the team.. this would be a great idea..

Detroit_TFC
08-28-2009, 12:50 PM
I think most of the membership schemes for EPL clubs are mainly to control ticket distribution. Since clubs in that league have to control a lot more things (home and away ticket distribution, tickets for European competition for some, Cup games, etc), it makes sense to have graduated levels of access. For us, I don't know. It may be a way (not sure better way) to reorganize how people get off the waiting list into STs.

Parkdale
08-28-2009, 12:56 PM
okay.... let's examine the 'perks' of being a seat holder:

http://web.mlsnet.com/t280/tickets/ssh/benefits/

// SEASON SEAT HOLDERS BENEFITS

again, let's examine them:

1- Your own dedicated Account Representative
you get a ticket rep who you can call with questions. This should be a given.
I really like my rep, and he's been super helpfull in the past, but still....
I'm paying enough cash for my seats that it would be unacceptable NOT to have someone to call.

2 -Access to Account Manager
so I can use the ticket manager to manage my own tickets? is that special?

3 - Ticket Exchange feature inside Account Manager
see #2

4- Right of Refusal on Playoff Tickets
I get to buy playoff tickets first? Again, that should be a given, not a perk.

5 - Discount Card for Toronto FC Merchandise
okay, this is good. 15% off gear is a deal.

6 - E-mail Subscription
not a perk, as it's available to anyone who puts in their email address.

7 - Full Season Savings vs. Individual Game Purchases
yes, obviously you get a better deal than buying singles. basic economics there. not a perk.

8 - Great Savings on Tickets
see #7

9 - Exclusive Access
exclusive access that we can pay for. The pub crawls are 'access' but not reserved for SSH. not a perk.

so to summarize, the perks of being a SSH include:

a discount on buying gear
you can move/trade etc tickets that you already own.
first crack at extra games (even price gouges like Real Madrid)
and finally.... you get a savings for buying in bulk.

what more could they offer a 'member' that goes beyond that? Well almost anything would be an improvement.

Paul, I'm not trying to be overly negative, but it seems like we're getting less, for more money with each passing season.

Afra
08-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Get the team to stop blowing 3 points out the window in the last 10 minutes of the game.
Clench a playoff spot
Get some grass on that pitch
Get rid of scalpers
reduce concession prices

and feel free to take it out of the $3600 (and climbing) I pay you for my tickets every year. Or the money I pay for my (and my boy's) jersey. Or the $13 pints at the field.

extra money for a pin? a book? a BMO card with a TFC logo on it? more tidbits and trash to collect dust? really?

Cashcleaner
08-28-2009, 12:57 PM
The very fact that so many people are longing for the old days of our first two years is frankly a prime indicator of our collective interests in the club. Parky said all that needed to be when he mentioned the perks we were offered in Year 1 compared to what we enjoy now.

I don't see how I'm to jump up and down for joy at the prospect of a new membership scheme.

brad
08-28-2009, 12:59 PM
I think most of the membership schemes for EPL clubs are mainly to control ticket distribution. Since clubs in that league have to control a lot more things (home and away ticket distribution, tickets for European competition for some, Cup games, etc), it makes sense to have graduated levels of access. For us, I don't know. It may be a way (not sure better way) to reorganize how people get off the waiting list into STs.

This, and it's a very good way to milk a bunch of extra cash out of potential customers you can't fit in your stadium.

Cristiano14
08-28-2009, 01:02 PM
IF membership is included in STH package then its fine.
IF not then its a horrible idea

Ageroo
08-28-2009, 01:08 PM
IF membership is included in STH package then its fine.
IF not then its a horrible idea

+1

I am in agreement on this......I already pay enough. STH's should already be classified as members by the fact that they own their seats.

ArmenJBX
08-28-2009, 01:20 PM
To extend on Ageroo... STH + members should get a plaque with their name on their seat :D

dupont
08-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Paul: I realize you work for an organization that relies on you to feel around the supporters to see how far they can push with getting more and more money before people stop going. Like a sweet spot or whatever.
I truly think you are a real fan of the team and sport and respect us as supporters so deep down you really must know how each new move hurts the relationship between the team and the fans. I hope you can really listen to us and try your best to convince the front office to stop pushing so much on an already profitable product.

The fanbase for TFC isn't the same as the Leafs. Having said that the Leafs product has been hurt immensely in the last few years and I think that pricing out the people with less money may end up losing them the next generation of fans. What made money in the short term is going to kill them (financially) long term when all of the 8 year old right that don't care about hockey (because MLSE decided they were too poor) grow up to be 25 year olds that still don't care about hockey.
Seeing the mistakes made with the Maple Leafs that favor short term quarterly profit increases at the expense of a long term profit strategy is worrying to me as a TFC fan so I hope someone (maybe you!) can be the voice of reason at the company.

Hitcho
08-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Paul, I'm not trying to be overly negative, but it seems like we're getting less, for more money with each passing season.

Exactly - we FEEL like we're getting less, and now we FEEL like we might be asked to pay more, so I repeat my earlier invitation to Paul - lay down some markers here - what are you thinking of giving us and what are you thinking of charging us?

Because, I've gotta tell you, if you open this thread up Paul, then say nothing concrete in return and all of a sudden we find this thing dropped on us without any kind of meaningful chance to debate it and whether we want what you propose to offer or not, then that's going to make this whole thing look really, really distatseful.

I'm not saying you would do that, please don't get me wrong, but please also don't even consider doing it! :D

Parkdale
08-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Because, I've gotta tell you, if you open this thread up Paul, then say nothing concrete in return and all of a sudden we find this thing dropped on us without any kind of meaningful chance to debate it and whether we want what you propose to offer or not, then that's going to make this whole thing look really, really distatseful.

well at least it was a good distraction from the whole 'Dichio Mystery' issue

London
08-28-2009, 01:32 PM

that was the plan,, damage control

TFCtoMUFC
08-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Basically MLSE will attempt to sell you privaleges you already have (ie they will take them away and attempt to sell them back to you) or privaleges that will cost them nothing themselves. You never know you might get some cack Toronto FC merchandise / magazine that you don't really want or need but ultimately whatever they come up with will most probably make you feel that for the money you paid it just was not worth it. This has got cash grab written all over it.

All the talk of people willing to pay for TFC email addresses and people willing to pay TFC money for the rights to possibly be able to buy single game tickets before the public is baffling? Why would you want to give MLSE money for the right to be able to possibly buy a single ticket, isn't the single game tickets expensive enough?

People generally already pay enough or way too much currently. I feel sorry for all of the prawnies who pay $1,100 or more (premiership prices) to see such an inferior product. It really is bewildering how the MLSE can charge prices like that? To top it off the MLSE bundle packs together with Toronto Marlies tickets and then charge insane amounts of money for them, perhaps Paul could see about putting a stop to that? If you insist on bundling together none related sports which is to be frank the biggest cash grab going then how about including Raptors tickets or dare I say Leafs tickets? For the record do any Leafs fans or Raptors fans have to buy tickets for the Marlies?

Leafs and Raptors tickets are bundled.

Parkdale
08-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Leafs and Raptors tickets are bundled.

somewhat. lower bowl raps tickets are part of the leafs ticket pack. you can buy upper bowl raps tickets on their own.

H Bomb
08-28-2009, 01:37 PM
As I've said many times, MLSE are a fuck up, and obviously need a completely new PR team head to toe. But what you need to do Paul, is leave us alone. Stop trying cause you're company will just screw it up and have more hate thrown towards it. Doesnt matter if your intentions are good, it'll fail, cause you lot will screw it up. Just get out of our way.

TFCtoMUFC
08-28-2009, 01:38 PM
somewhat. lower bowl raps tickets are part of the leafs ticket pack. you can buy upper bowl raps tickets on their own.

We can't complain when I guy I know got the call after 20 years on the Leafs list, with franchising fee and raps tickets its costing him almost 50,000.

TFC07
08-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Oh great, another cash grab. :facepalm:

How about you (MLSE) invest in getting better players and management. After all, success = more money. You think people are stupid enough (unless they're Maple Leaf fans) to buy memberships especially when on-field product is shit?

Hitcho
08-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Just seen Paul's posts in the SSH/tidbit thread.

The more I hear about this "membership" plan, the less I like it. The stuff I would like to see (more up close and personal with the club and players) should be offered free, like the pub crawls, presser invites, etc).

You've got a big sell on to people on these boards Paul, because aside from some pretty outlandish ideas re the ability to fire Mo and free TTC tickets on game days, the basic response on here is very, very understated to say the least.

Again - what are you thinking of offering and what are the basic outlines of this plan? Even in very, very general terms? You must have some clue, even if you just throw out some discussion topics on the premise that none of it is decided on yet and all may change, at least let us in on the thinking process - that's why you started this thread, no? To get some feedback? So let us feedback on something real instead of inviting wishy washy pie in the sky crap...

RedMAN127
08-28-2009, 01:52 PM

^might be the point

Darlofletch
08-28-2009, 01:53 PM
I have a request for the moderators, can one of you please unban Kingpin and point him in the direction of this thread. Can't help but think he'd love this sort of thing.

Darlofletch
08-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Also with all this talk of marlie tickets, can i just say that i love the fact that in Toronto, which is supposedly a hockey city, centre of the hockey universe if you talk to some people, full of a passion that unites us all, the only way the can sell tickets to the second best team in the city is to force them on to reluctant soccer fans. I hate that they do it, but I love that they have to.

TFC07
08-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Also with all this talk of marlie tickets, can i just say that i love the fact that in Toronto, which is supposedly a hockey city, centre of the hockey universe if you talk to some people, full of a passion that unites us all, the only way the can sell tickets to the second best team in the city is to force them on to reluctant soccer fans. I hate that they do it, but I love that they have to.

Just shows that Toronto is a Maple Leafs town, not a hockey town. lol

Pro-hockey media always say soccer would never be supported in Toronto. :rolleyes:

ArmenJBX
08-28-2009, 02:02 PM
No, Toronto is not a hockey city, we're a leafs city. When the world championship was in Toronto, the finals, with Canada, you could still buy seats. But on an average leafs game, it's sold out. So, I think this city just like their leafs.

Wagner
08-28-2009, 02:19 PM
The AHL and OHL are poorly supported in Toronto.

scooter
08-28-2009, 02:28 PM
The AHL and OHL are poorly supported in Toronto.

always have been but mlse doesnt miss a chance to make a buck

i too had to buy a partial pack --never went to one marlies game
but according to seating chart they were primo tickets

i looked at it as the cost of getting tickets at the time and now i have
my seasons but at the time and still now it bothers me that mlse used
tfc to pawn off marlies tickets that people dont want

scooter
08-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Just shows that Toronto is a Maple Leafs town, not a hockey town. lol

Pro-hockey media always say soccer would never be supported in Toronto. :rolleyes:

you are absolutely right but wait till my dad and my generation move on
cause the next generation behind us dont give a hoot about the leafs
everybody is so pissed that ballard and then mlse wont buy the players
to put a winning team together especially in what is called " canada's
game" that in 20 years the leafs will be what you get for buying a 1/4
pac of tfc tickets

cause thats when soccer will be "canada's game"

torontocelt
08-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Just seen Paul's posts in the SSH/tidbit thread.

The more I hear about this "membership" plan, the less I like it. The stuff I would like to see (more up close and personal with the club and players) should be offered free, like the pub crawls, presser invites, etc).

You've got a big sell on to people on these boards Paul, because aside from some pretty outlandish ideas re the ability to fire Mo and free TTC tickets on game days, the basic response on here is very, very understated to say the least.

Again - what are you thinking of offering and what are the basic outlines of this plan? Even in very, very general terms? You must have some clue, even if you just throw out some discussion topics on the premise that none of it is decided on yet and all may change, at least let us in on the thinking process - that's why you started this thread, no? To get some feedback? So let us feedback on something real instead of inviting wishy washy pie in the sky crap...

What he might be doing is waiting to see what ideas are banded about, then work out what is gonna cost the club the less money and then sell the membership at a rip off price and claim it was exactly what you had wanted all along. Top of my list if I were him would be:

Toronto FC email address - cost to club - nothing

Ability to use ticket exchange but only after set dates when gold pack and season ticket holders have had a chance to buy - cost to club - nothing

Once a year get to sit in on a TFC training session - cost to club - security but through concessions and $13 beers they would make a profit.

1 or 2 academy games - cost pretty much nothing.

TFC pen and key ring - Very cheap, straight from China.

Access to the purple list - comes before the red list but after the gold list. Sell it with the proposed possibility that you just might one day if you are very lucky get a season seat. Of course it will be yearly and if you do not buy again you drop to the red list.

I would sell this at $130 but ensure that there are only 1/5 of these packages available. For the other 4/5's I would charge $230 and include in that three marlies games as obviously TFC fans want these tickets especially the top price ones and not the $10 ones.

There you go that is the TFC membership right there.

T_Mizz
08-28-2009, 02:37 PM
This is a bit ridiculous how this thread has become another bash ML$E thread so quickly. I'm not their biggest fans but I didn't get the same cash grab message from Paul B as it seems everyone else did. I for one would kinda like to see this as long as it means only members are sold supporters section tickets.

rocker
08-28-2009, 02:39 PM
This is a bit ridiculous how this thread has become another bash ML$E thread so quickly. I'm not their biggest fans but I didn't get the same cash grab message from Paul B as it seems everyone else did.

exactly.

torontocelt
08-28-2009, 02:45 PM
This is a bit ridiculous how this thread has become another bash ML$E thread so quickly. I'm not their biggest fans but I didn't get the same cash grab message from Paul B as it seems everyone else did. I for one would kinda like to see this as long as it means only members are sold supporters section tickets.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Billy the kid
08-28-2009, 02:51 PM
I want to be brought on to take a free kick during the regular season.

Hitcho
08-28-2009, 02:56 PM
you are absolutely right but wait till my dad and my generation move on
cause the next generation behind us dont give a hoot about the leafs
everybody is so pissed that ballard and then mlse wont buy the players
to put a winning team together especially in what is called " canada's
game" that in 20 years the leafs will be what you get for buying a 1/4
pac of tfc tickets

cause thats when soccer will be "canada's game"

YEAH BABY YEAH!!!! :scarf::scarf:

Darlofletch
08-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Cynicism aside, serious idea, members kids get a chance to be ball boys/girls or player escorts, same as what they did with rpb kids.

Hitcho
08-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Ok, open question to Paul:

Was your (the FO, not you mate) motivation for doing this:

A) to find another revenue stream; or

B) to find a way to give something back to the supporters

Because the asnwer to that question fundamentally determines the make up of how this thing is put together, no? If you answer "both" then it means revenue stream.

I am hoping and willing to believe that the answer is "give something back". hence my earlier suggestions of things the membership could include re "pure" TFC stuff allowing us better interaction with the cub and players rather than selling us merch (of whatever description) we could buy in a store somewhere.

Besides which, given the ticket sales, waiting lists, edu money, RM money, Gol TV subs, etc etc I think the club has enough revenue streams coming in right now. It's season three still! Let's give something back before we look to take in more cash, no?

EDIT - I appreciate the grass thing, that's awesome, a big give back from the club because god knows the way this whole thing was created means it cannot be easy to get us grass, so thanks and kudos and please keep pushing with that one! :D

Hitcho
08-28-2009, 03:04 PM
I want to be brought on to take a free kick during the regular season.

no, you don't, because if you miss then hell hath no fury like a message forum scorned... :o

Hustle
08-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Paul, I appreciate the fact you come to this board and I hope you never stop the communication. I would think you have enough experience here to foresee this negative reaction to any idea that takes more money from our pockets and gives it to an already extremely profitable club that has gone out of its way this year to show the SSH it cares more about profits than our support. (Madrid).

IF there is a REAL effort underway to make supporters feel part of the club, that's GREAT but your organization seriously needs to do some damage control on your relationship with the supporters. SLOW DOWN on the marketing bullshit, get back to grassroots support building that costs you money, not us. Stop trying to eat your golden goose and be happy living off the eggs.

Hustle
08-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Ok, open question to Paul:

Was your (the FO, not you mate) motivation for doing this:

A) to find another revenue stream; or

B) to find a way to give something back to the supporters

Because the asnwer to that question fundamentally determines the make up of how this thing is put together, no? If you answer "both" then it means revenue stream.

I am hoping and willing to believe that the answer is "give something back". hence my earlier suggestions of things the membership could include re "pure" TFC stuff allowing us better interaction with the cub and players rather than selling us merch (of whatever description) we could buy in a store somewhere.

Besides which, given the ticket sales, waiting lists, edu money, RM money, Gol TV subs, etc etc I think the club has enough revenue streams coming in right now. It's season three still! Let's give something back before we look to take in more cash, no?

EDIT - I appreciate the grass thing, that's awesome, a big give back from the club because god knows the way this whole thing was created means it cannot be easy to get us grass, so thanks and kudos and please keep pushing with that one! :D

You are the man Hitch! Very well put! That's how Paul need to address these topics...with some clarity.

Blizzard
08-28-2009, 03:49 PM
always have been but mlse doesnt miss a chance to make a buck

No, not always. I used to go to see the OHA Marlboros play at MLG in front of 15k people.

Wonderfully fun days they were too!

B

Blizzard
08-28-2009, 03:52 PM
exactly.

Same here.

scooter
08-28-2009, 04:03 PM
sorry i didn't know they got that many fans
so in the last 10 years then maybe

clarification on other post

to buy 1/4 pack of tfc games you will need to purchase 7 maple laugh tickets

Dave67
08-28-2009, 04:21 PM

We're looking at ways to make more people feel like part of this club... [lines deleted by Skint]
Maybe it includes some swag like what is currently an exclusive SSH scarf? ......[lines deleted by Skint]

If PB did not type 'what would it cost' into his question I could agree with you, but he did. PB did not start this thread thinking he would not get some flack for it.

When a ML$E member ask me 'what would it cost' I get worried... very worried.

CretanBull
08-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Paul, I appreciate the fact you come to this board and I hope you never stop the communication. I would think you have enough experience here to foresee this negative reaction to any idea that takes more money from our pockets and gives it to an already extremely profitable club that has gone out of its way this year to show the SSH it cares more about profits than our support. (Madrid).

IF there is a REAL effort underway to make supporters feel part of the club, that's GREAT but your organization seriously needs to do some damage control on your relationship with the supporters. SLOW DOWN on the marketing bullshit, get back to grassroots support building that costs you money, not us. Stop trying to eat your golden goose and be happy living off the eggs.

Best post of the entire thread.

TorontoBlades
08-28-2009, 04:39 PM
^ seconded...well put

brad
08-28-2009, 04:40 PM
+1

I am in agreement on this......I already pay enough. STH's should already be classified as members by the fact that they own their seats.

Problem is, if they include it for STH, they'll bury the price into your annual season ticket price hike and tell you you are getting it included.

brad
08-28-2009, 04:44 PM

This isn't an MLSE bash - this is the truth. Their goal is to make as much money of us as they can. I'm not faulting them for that, that's what businesses do.

Gobi
08-28-2009, 04:46 PM
I want membership to include free jetsies and media guide and ms worker phone number.

Sullivan
08-28-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm a season ticket holder, am I not already a member????

WTF!

Send me the membership card with my tix.

ML$E want more of my $$$ - MLS$E CAN GO F*** them$elve$.

Hire a proven gaffer, more pro & amateur scouts, and someone to oversee player development and maybe my tone will change.

Bobo
08-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Hahahaha, got to love ML$E.

How does that chant go?

They don't care about players
They don't care about fans
Toronto football Club

Someone finish it for me?

Back to the drawing board Paul? I wonder if we'll be hearing about some resignations soon, we must be having these guys pulling their hair out by now.

Hitcho
08-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Paul's a smart guy, he knew there would be optimistic suggestions in this thread and he knew there would be a lot of MLSE cash grab bashing going on too. And he also knew he could sort out some good ideas from the pages of bilge he'd get posted.

But I also think he was looking to guage the OVERALL reaction on here - how any fors and againsts? Groups like RPB are going to be one of the main targets for any membership scheme, so the yays and nays in this thread are an important indicator.

I'm still waiting for him to come back to the thread and post replies to the questions I have put out there. I like Paul, from what I know of him, and have a lot of respect for him and the way he keeps taking it in the face on here and keeps coming back to feed us more info (although these sneaky free marketing grabs are becoming less and less subtle!), and for what it's worth I tend to think that for the most part he has our best interests at heart, but is employed by MLSE and has to strike a balance there. For all our whingin at times we should all appreciate that a bit, because things could always be much, much worse, even if they could also be better!

AL-MO
08-29-2009, 01:27 AM

Were you drinking Friday afternoon?

How can you not see this as a cash grab?

torres
08-29-2009, 03:47 AM
:idea:

this might be a way to consolidate all the various waiting lists, and also a way to get them to pay some money. Right now, people on the lower waiting list haven't paid anything. It would be like a deposit to show they are really interested.
I agree but alot of us on the gold waiting list have paid alot of money already (mini pack, marlies tickets, individual tickets, ticketmaster fees, ticket exchange, ticketmaster fees). Personally I have paid way over season ticket prices to get to all the games this year and it looks like I'm going to have to pay even more to keep my 'spot' on the waitiing list.

olegunnar
08-29-2009, 08:11 AM
Would we get hats with ears on them?
When I was in the micky mouse club as a kid I got a card, a newsletter and a hat with big ears on it with my name embroidered in the back. I got to sing the song with pride....M I C---K E Y...M O U S E.

It's funny how life works....now I'm an adult and I have a chance to once again join a micky mouse club and sing the song. T O R O N T Ohhhhhhh TFC

In all seriousness though...is the signal that the FO is "done with" the RPB? It's served it's purpose in the franchise's start up and now they have the blue print they think they can do it themselves now.

Kind of like with the videos fans took and posted in year one...then they bannedit and did their own videos and now we have the propeganda machine that is TFC TV

flatpicker
08-29-2009, 08:37 AM
I want membership to include free jetsies and media guide and ms worker phone number.

I thin you great idea their

;)

Mikey
08-29-2009, 10:09 AM
In all seriousness though...is the signal that the FO is "done with" the RPB? It's served it's purpose in the franchise's start up and now they have the blue print they think they can do it themselves now.

Kind of like with the videos fans took and posted in year one...then they bannedit and did their own videos and now we have the propeganda machine that is TFC TV

With 16,000 season ticket holders it would not be hard for ML$E to put in place an official TFC supporters club, representatives meeting the FO and having a say in whats allowed in the stands etc...