PDA

View Full Version : Whitecaps Stadium issues...

Miko
08-27-2009, 03:40 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/bc-place-retractable-roof-plans-in-limbo/article1266316/

The Province of BC may pull it's funding of BC Place reno...

Bad news if it affects the Whitecaps.

Dunkers
08-27-2009, 03:58 PM
i dont buy this for a second...

Its it any coincidence that the Liberal government is trying to impose HST on the province? Of course they have to say the cupboard is bare...as it should be, seeing how they are going to host the Olympics in 168 days, they have paid for all the venues, and the revenue is going to come pouring in. Hotel rooms are going for $700 a night in Burnaby (of which the province gets a 9% hotel tax)

This is stupid politics by Gordon Campbell to scare people into accepting HST, the roof will get done, just as soon as HST is legislated

Miko
08-27-2009, 04:01 PM
But didn't VANOC just say there was going to be a revenue shortfall and that the IOC was going to pick up the tab if they fell short.

Things are tough in BC and they're never going to OK a roof if there's a chance the government will have to pony up for the Olympics.

Dunkers
08-27-2009, 04:14 PM
it is true that VANOC has been overspending like mad! A 1 billion dollar Olympic village, a skating arena that was made out of salvaged wood from pine beetle infestations for $178 milllion.

but the provincial government is trying to do everything in its power to make the economy look bad, because they have announced plans to impliment the HST. There is a HUGE public outcry about this because during the election 3 months ago, they made no mention of a need for HST.

So the plan is, convince people in BC that we have no money to pay for health care and education due to Olympic overspending, and that if we don't pass the HST the province is going to collapse, and then the liberals will be laughing all the way to the bank when the tourist come to visit and have to pay 12% tax on food instead of 5%, along with a 15% hotel tax, and a 3% "eco" fuel surcharge. Its crazy out here

maninb
08-28-2009, 08:15 AM
I got my room at the Sylvia for $300 per night....right on English Bay....:)

WHITEY
08-28-2009, 08:26 AM
I guess now the BC Liberals are exploring an option of public-private partnership to build a new stadium instead of paying for a new retractable roof for BC Place.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Place+Facelift+stadium/1937118/story.html

rocker
08-28-2009, 08:32 AM
interesting story.. but i don't understand these damn politicians. Kerfoot wanted to build his own soccer stadium with his own money. There's no need to explore a public-private partnership for a soccer stadium (as the article says) when Kerfoot would already build the soccer stadium privately.

i wonder if the stonewalling on approving the soccer stadium (paid for by Kerfoot) was because they don't want to "lose" the Whitecaps from a possible multi-sport stadium.

Toronto Ruffrider
08-28-2009, 09:48 AM
^ Who knows the logic behind the proposed financial arrangements. Only in Vancouver could a stadium entirely financed by the private sector get blocked. On the surface, a public-private partnership doesn't make any more sense from the perspective of the taxpayer.

Of course, the construction of Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium was blocked by the port authority, not by funding issues. If the BC government could step in and help fund a land swap that might be more favourable to the federal port authority, then perhaps Greg Kerfoot could build his stadium on his proposed stretch of waterfront real estate.

Blizzard
08-28-2009, 05:40 PM
^ Who knows the logic behind the proposed financial arrangements. Only in Vancouver could a stadium entirely financed by the private sector get blocked. On the surface, a public-private partnership doesn't make any more sense from the perspective of the taxpayer.

Of course, the construction of Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium was blocked by the port authority, not by funding issues. If the BC government could step in and help fund a land swap that might be more favourable to the federal port authority, then perhaps Greg Kerfoot could build his stadium on his proposed stretch of waterfront real estate.

I'm wondering if there could be an issue in regards to the Lions. I'm thinking that if they decide to tear down or redevelop BC Place Stadium into a convention centre or develop condo's on the site, if the government might not try and place the Lions into any new stadium such as the Kerfoot Project.

Just an annoying thought that popped into my head.

barca99
08-28-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm wondering if there could be an issue in regards to the Lions. I'm thinking that if they decide to tear down or redevelop BC Place Stadium into a convention centre or develop condo's on the site, if the government might not try and place the Lions into any new stadium such as the Kerfoot Project.

Just an annoying thought that popped into my head.

I think the Lions see the writing on the wall that they won't be in BC Place much longer (Condo's in that area would make a load of cash!). I even heard that BC Place won't be ready in time for the 2010 CFL season so the Lions may play in a temporary stadium where Empire Stadium used to be.

Best scenario in my mind is the Lions rebuilding a 25,000 seat Empire stadium and the Whitecaps building their new soccer specific one on the waterfront. But who knows? They've been talking about this soccer one for around 10 years, but they can't jump through all the hurdles. I just hope the Lions and Whitecaps aren't kicked out with little notice and no place to play.

Yohan
08-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Drove by BC Place. Prime real estate near downtown Vancouver, though needs a better link to highway (there is none connecting to Hwy 1 from downtown)

It'd be bad if Shitecaps don't get BC Place

rocker
08-30-2009, 03:22 PM
does Empire stadium still exist? I thought it was completely demolished many years ago?

Blizzard
08-30-2009, 04:10 PM
does Empire stadium still exist? I thought it was completely demolished many years ago?

Ya, long gone. They are talking about building a temporary stadium on the old site.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2010wintergames/Lions+return+original+site+Empire+Stadium/1723001/story.html

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Lions+reported+return+Empire+Stadium+site/1726624/story.html

It's Called Football
09-02-2009, 09:43 AM
The budget was announced last night and the province did not pull the funding.

B.C. Place Rejuvenation

2009-10
$148 Million
2010-11
$141 Million
2011-12
$31 Million
Total
$320 Million
Also, they've tabled nearly a $1 billion in capital contingency funds in case there are over runs over the next three years
http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/blog/post/299409
Cheers
Ben

Redcoe15
09-02-2009, 04:38 PM
^ Good. Another problem averted. :thumbsup: