PDA

View Full Version : NuRock acquires United Soccer Leagues

tfcmanu
08-27-2009, 02:30 PM
NuRock Soccer Holdings purchases USL from Nike, Inc.

NEWS RELEASE
Thursday, August 27, 2009
ATLANTA, GA -- NuRock Soccer Holdings LLC (“NuRock Soccer Holdings”) today announced that it has acquired United Soccer Leagues (“USL”) from NIKE.

NuRock Soccer Holdings, based in Atlanta, is led by Rob Hoskins and Alec Papadakis. NuRock Soccer Holdings is currently a USL franchisee with a Premier Development League operation in Atlanta and rights to acquire two USL First Division teams in Atlanta, Georgia and Birmingham, Alabama marketplaces, respectively.
http://www.uslsoccer.com/imgs/home/usl-soccer-field.jpg
Rob Hoskins, the Chairman of NuRock Soccer Holdings, is one of the country’s most respected and largest real estate developers in residential housing, and brings his valuable management and branding experience to the soccer industry. Alec Papadakis, the Chief Executive Officer and Managing Partner of NuRock Soccer Holdings, is a franchise attorney with domestic and international expansion experience. As a player in the North American Soccer League for the Atlanta Chiefs and the Boston Minutemen, Papadakis has had a long, storied soccer career in the United States at the collegiate and professional level, with numerous accolades.
“We are delighted to close this transaction with NIKE and begin a partnership with Nike’s leading football brands which will sponsor and support USL, and all of its leagues, for many years to come. Together with USL Management, we are excited about the opportunity to grow the size and visibility of USL, and to help develop and train the future generations of soccer athletes in the United States”, said Alec Papadakis, CEO of NuRock Soccer Holdings.
Rob Hoskins, Chairman of NuRock Soccer Holdings, commented, “Our vision for USL is to become the most competitive and profitable pyramid of soccer leagues in North America, while providing affordable family entertainment, and serving as the inspirational destination for professional and amateur youth soccer players in the U.S.”
Nike and Umbro will continue to support USL through a long-term sponsorship agreement naming Umbro as the official sponsor and exclusive supplier of match balls for USL’s professional and amateur leagues, including USL First Division, USL Second Division, Premier Development League and W-League. Nike Soccer will also serve as an exclusive sponsor for USL.
“This is really the best of both worlds for USL,” said Francisco Marcos, Founder and President of United Soccer Leagues. “We have new ownership that will focus solely on developing and growing the leagues, and Umbro and Nike Soccer join us as sponsors to support our franchise owners, teams and athletes.”

NuRock Soccer Holdings LLC
NuRock Soccer Holdings LLC is part of the umbrella family of companies known as The NuRock Companies. The Principals of NuRock have a dedicated and deep understanding of the soccer industry. As part of its family of companies, NuRock is an existing USL franchisee, with a USL Premier Development League operation in Atlanta. Robert Hoskins is the Chairman of NuRock Soccer Holdings LLC and is the Founder and Managing Principal of The NuRock Companies. Alec Papadakis is the Chief Executive Officer and Managing Partner of NuRock Soccer Holdings.
United Soccer Leagues
United Soccer Leagues (“USL”), with headquarters in Tampa, FL, is the largest organization of elite-level soccer leagues in North America. USL is comprised of six leagues, USL First and Second Divisions (men’s professional soccer), Premier Development League (men’s under-23), W-League (women’s), USL Super-20 League (under-20, men’s and women’s amateur), and Super Y-League (boy’s and girl’s elite youth amateur). Dedicated to growing the sport of soccer at the grassroots level, USL has provided a platform for thousands of players to reach their dreams over the last three decades.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/scripts/runisa.dll?M2:gp::72011+L3/Display+E+NDX+NDX+359940

deltox
08-27-2009, 02:43 PM
good

flatpicker
08-27-2009, 02:57 PM
fine... now maybe they will redesign that ridiculous logo!

I mean really... a flaming soccer ball???

Oldtimer
08-27-2009, 02:58 PM
A former NASL player owning the USL. Cool.

C.Ronaldo
08-27-2009, 03:10 PM
until the MLS wants to work together, neither league will realise its full potential

flatpicker
08-27-2009, 03:16 PM
until the MLS wants to work together, neither league will realise its full potential

I sort of agree with this.

We have competing professional soccer leagues (obviously one much smaller than the other)

But if they combined their efforts, I can't help but think the sport would grow much faster in this region.

rocker
08-27-2009, 03:22 PM
i wouldn't want them to work together.
but MLS could obviously steal some ideas from the USL.

But the USL as a whole would just weigh MLS down. It would lack focus as a business.

competition between them might be a good thing.

rocker
08-27-2009, 05:58 PM
interesting article on the splintering of ownership alliances with the sale of the USL.

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/usl-sale-complete-reporters-notebooks-could-league-sale-throw-owners-into-turmoil/5747

Shway
08-27-2009, 06:22 PM
I want to see what the next few expansion franchises will be.
USL and MLS should partner up, and create a Reserve League, and an Academy League that would be divided North, South, East, West.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-27-2009, 06:26 PM
this just might be the beginning of the end for the USL, which might not be a bad thing.MLS is the league for soccer in North america, something the USL could never be. USL should focus on youth devolpement then on the professional game. With Vancouver leaving in 2011 that will hurt USL crediblity even more with even less franchises, going for a youth league like the OHL in Hockey might be of more use.

flatpicker
08-27-2009, 06:40 PM
this just might be the beginning of the end for the USL, which might not be a bad thing.MLS is the league for soccer in North america, something the USL could never be. USL should focus on youth devolpement then on the professional game. With Vancouver leaving in 2011 that will hurt USL crediblity even more with even less franchises, going for a youth league like the OHL in Hockey might be of more use.

I agree that they need to decide where their future lies.

I don't much care for having competing pro leagues.
It's like NHL vs. WHA... and that kind of stuff never works out.

Sure, I would love it if leagues merged and we have promotion... but we know how much opposition there is to that.

If they want to be a developmental league, then that is fine.
They would still need to work out some sort of partnership with MLS that benefits the growth of soccer.

But, if they go the "youth league" route, then what becomes of things like the U.S. Open Cup and Champions League?

Obviously if USL becomes a developmental league (and therefore work in partnership with MLS) they can't exactly be allowed to compete in those tournaments anymore.

Chevy
08-27-2009, 07:42 PM
fine... now maybe they will redesign that ridiculous logo!

I mean really... a flaming soccer ball???

If you want flamers (balls, that is) look no further than www.robbo33.com (http://www.robbo33.com)

flatpicker
08-27-2009, 08:07 PM
If you want flamers (balls, that is) look no further than www.robbo33.com (http://www.robbo33.com)

that is definitely one hell of a flaming ball...

but I'm alright with that... it works in a graphic novel sort of way...

but a logo is a different story.

TorCanSoc
08-27-2009, 08:47 PM
I always wondered why USL didn't do more to keep their good franchises? Portland, Vancouver, soon Montreal. I think those franchises were strong, I think Rochester has a great fan base too. The point is why is it so inconceivable that USL take over MLS? I think the strongest USL franchises more than keep up with the middle of the pack MLS teams. And do far far better than the low-end of the MLS ladder.

I don't know the inside scoop but I've been watching USL and MLS for more than a decade. I think the USL is older, used to be called the A-League. Anyway... I've always felt bad for the Hartrells (owners of the now bruised and battered Toronto Lynx). Sadly... I would wager a USL team in Toronto may now succeed even with Toronto FC here. We've seen the light of passion in a Canadian-versus-Canadian game. Call out to the Hartrells put the Lynx back into USL !!!! :) </scattered rant>

king dave
08-27-2009, 09:30 PM
This is very good news.
The USL is a very healthy league and continuing to grow.
KD.

king dave
08-27-2009, 09:35 PM
I always wondered why USL didn't do more to keep their good franchises? Portland, Vancouver, soon Montreal. I think those franchises were strong, I think Rochester has a great fan base too. The point is why is it so inconceivable that USL take over MLS? I think the strongest USL franchises more than keep up with the middle of the pack MLS teams. And do far far better than the low-end of the MLS ladder.

I don't know the inside scoop but I've been watching USL and MLS for more than a decade. I think the USL is older, used to be called the A-League. Anyway... I've always felt bad for the Hartrells (owners of the now bruised and battered Toronto Lynx). Sadly... I would wager a USL team in Toronto may now succeed even with Toronto FC here. We've seen the light of passion in a Canadian-versus-Canadian game. Call out to the Hartrells put the Lynx back into USL !!!! :) </scattered rant>

Nice observations kid.
Before the MLS succeeds?
The USL MUST succeed.
And they are expanding as we speak.
Jesus fucking Christ New York just got another team based out of Rutgers!
Soccer is the new disco!
KD.

the-lower-eastsider
08-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Nice observations kid.
Before the MLS succeeds?
The USL MUST succeed.
Soccer is the new disco!
KD.lol. soccer is the new disco. lol. i love it.

Free Agents
08-27-2009, 09:48 PM

I don't think it would work. Torontonians have never been interested in watching teams from a 2nd tier league. The only exception would be having an all Canadian Professional league.

BuSaPuNk
08-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Nice observations kid.
Before the MLS succeeds?
The USL MUST succeed.
Soccer is the new disco!
KD.

lol. soccer is the new disco. lol. i love it.

KD do I see a banner coming??? lol:D

Keystone FC
08-28-2009, 04:04 AM
I want to see what the next few expansion franchises will be.
USL and MLS should partner up, and create a Reserve League, and an Academy League that would be divided North, South, East, West.

I'm thinking Atlanta and Birmingham like the article said:

NuRock Soccer Holdings is currently a USL franchisee with a Premier Development League operation in Atlanta and rights to acquire two USL First Division teams in Atlanta, Georgia and Birmingham, Alabama marketplaces, respectively.

London
08-28-2009, 05:23 AM
Early stages, but london is working on building a SSS and possibly fill the void of one of the departing USL clubs, if the ###'s stay in the thousands for the PDL team, a USL-1 team makes sense

keem-o-sabi
08-28-2009, 06:39 AM
It's interesting to see. USL won't be overtaking MLS. Someone mentioned the USL1 teams do better than middle of the road MLS teams???? reallly???? No they don't. 1 or 2 do better and they are going to be in MLS now.

USL can't compete with MLS, and the wishes of everyone to make them become another Division 1 league is impossible. You're only allowed to have a single DIvision 1 league per FIFA. USL also sued MLS over this and lost in US Courts as MLS was awarded D1 status by FIFA and USL didn't have the opportunity to become D1.

It's great that they are expanding the footprint of professional soccer. It's like when the CFL expanded to the US. Almost all of the markets they expanded to, showed the NFL that hey these other markets may not be as glamorous as the cities you have now, but their is ridiculous amounts of support.

The USL definitely does need to expand with Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, and Montreal (well DG keeps saying they will come in if they meet what MLS wants) 4 of the 6 top groups will be out of USL and in MLS. It should be a natural progression though as we need to identify good markets that have a sustainable team.

Fort York Redcoat
08-28-2009, 10:05 AM
I'd think they could come up witha better name than NuRock for a co. with a deep understanding of footie but I'm glad for the purchase.

Beach_Red
08-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Nice observations kid.
Before the MLS succeeds?
The USL MUST succeed.
Soccer is the new disco!
KD.

Isn't the new York team going to play out of Hofstra University?

rocker
08-28-2009, 10:36 AM
I'd think they could come up witha better name than NuRock for a co. with a deep understanding of footie but I'm glad for the purchase.

how about....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nu_metal

Keystone FC
08-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Isn't the new York team going to play out of Hofstra University?

I think they were looking at playing out of a number of college stadiums (including Hofstra) around the NY/Staten Island area. Which is pretty stupid having a new team playing in several locations and trying to get established especially in the New York City area.

TFCRegina
08-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Traffic is extremely pissed about this. They were expected to have bought this team. Miami will likely fold because of this...

JamboAl
08-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Traffic is extremely pissed about this. They were expected to have bought this team. Miami will likely fold because of this...

Good to see you back at it Lars.

And Miami folding ain't a big deal. They draw flies.

TFCRegina
08-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Tell that to the few diehards who go out and support that team. And by team I meant league...

Anyway, Carolina Railhawks owner is pissed off as well...

keem-o-sabi
08-28-2009, 09:33 PM
yes you may be hearing some more about the pro teams doing something a little different.....let you know more on monday.

Juanito
08-28-2009, 10:59 PM
^^

??

Keystone FC
08-29-2009, 04:48 AM
Tell that to the few diehards who go out and support that team. And by team I meant league...

Anyway, Carolina Railhawks owner is pissed off as well...

This is true. The fans actually saved the Miami franchise this season. I have a friend down in Miami who part of the supporters there. He and a bunch of the supporters really busted their butts to get people into the stands and buy season tickets. An SOS went out from the team and an ad campaign was done but in the USL it really is the fans and the supporters who really make or break the club.