PDA

View Full Version : Cronin to take Robinson's role vs Seattle

DangerRed
08-26-2009, 01:22 PM
We may get those three points yet. And Amadou will likely be back out there as well.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090826&content_id=6627950&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

ArmenJBX
08-26-2009, 01:25 PM
I hope he shines back there with Amadou, we seriously need the 3 points here. Whatever happened to that Van Dijk guy? Looks like we could use him, cronin, and sanyang in a three man midfield.

-----------Frei------------
------4 defenders---------
Van Dijk--Cronin--Sanyang-
--------Guevara/Vitti------
----DeRo-----Gerba/OBW--

DangerRed
08-26-2009, 01:36 PM
I hope he shines back there with Amadou, we seriously need the 3 points here. Whatever happened to that Van Dijk guy? Looks like we could use him, cronin, and sanyang in a three man midfield.

Van Dijk was never signed by TFC.

rocker
08-26-2009, 01:36 PM
cronin can do the job... and cronin is a better passer

Damien
08-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Cronin > Robinson

ArmenJBX
08-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Van Dijk was never signed by TFC.

I know, that's what I was wondering. What's the hold up? We could really use him.

Dirk Diggler
08-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Cronin >>> Robinson.

rocker
08-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Cronin > Robinson

ya.. i was a Robinson fan year 1 and 2 because he was good at breaking up plays and then quickly getting rid of it (altho his teammates were often asleep when he made those quick passes). but this year he seems to have lost a bit of ability.. often having to makeup for his own mistakes, leading to rash challenges. Cronin seems to have the sense, and better passing touch and vision. and Amadou can break up plays and annoy guys.

Damien
08-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Cronin >>> Robinson.

Exactly... my bad.

Damien
08-26-2009, 01:58 PM
The more we move the old guys out, the better. Give them coaching roles or something in mgmt eventually. We need to get a youth movement going with this team. Make a club policy to not sign anyone over age 28/29 (unless their last name ends with ichio)

TorontoBlades
08-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Cronin > Sanyang > Robbo

backbeat
08-26-2009, 02:05 PM
I know, that's what I was wondering. What's the hold up? We could really use him.

yes what is the holdup - i've wondering about this since last week when someone posted a Dutch column saying it was tied up in visas or some such thing - since then....silence....

Dirk Diggler
08-26-2009, 02:06 PM
The more we move the old guys out, the better. Give them coaching roles or something in mgmt eventually. We need to get a youth movement going with this team. Make a club policy to not sign anyone over age 28/29 (unless their last name ends with ichio)

Exactly. I was listening to some one saying how Cummins was wrong in giving these young guys playing time over the more experienced players and I could not disagree more. It is because of our mediocre veterans that we are in this position right now. The young guys may lack experience but right away they are more than making up for it with their sheer talent and their superior athleticism (and in many cases, higher football IQ as well).

barca99
08-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Exactly. I was listening to some one saying how Cummins was wrong in giving these young guys playing time over the more experienced players and I could not disagree more. It is because of our mediocre veterans that we are in this position right now. The young guys may lack experience but right away they are more than making up for it with their sheer talent and their superior athleticism (and in many cases, higher football IQ as well).

I don't think you should paint all of the vet's with the same brush. I think in certain roles they can still be useful, but they have to be played to their strengths, or put into a situation to succeed.

Back on topic though, I do think Cronin can do a better job than Robbo, but with how well he played on the wing last week, I'm not sure that he shouldn't be out there all the time, and maybe Sanyang takes Robbo's role? Whatever, this team is like a box of chocolates, you never know what lineup you're gonna get!

CoachGT
08-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Cronin has shown flashes of offensive brilliance all year, but they have largely been overshadowed by the role he's been playing. He's had a number of excellent crosses and created a number of dangerous plays. At the same time, he has shown that he is a competent alternate to Robbo, who just seems to have struggled this year. It may just be that he now is surrounded by better players than he has been with this team before this year. I still think Robbo is a valuable part of the team, but now look to him more as a mentor for some of the younger players.

prizby
08-26-2009, 02:35 PM
don't think amadou will start

DangerRed
08-26-2009, 02:45 PM
don't think amadou will start

It doesn't sound like you're right.

"As Cummins ponders his team selection for the match at Qwest Field, one of his options is to give Sanyang the role of stopping the Sounders former Swedish international playmaker Freddie Ljungberg. "It might be at the weekend that I give him a job of man marking Ljungberg and stopping him playing. He could get about him, get in his face and break things up. It is important to stop their key players playing."

ArmenJBX
08-26-2009, 02:54 PM
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6914/stratagy.png

What if we put De Rosario in the middle of a circle that is closed off by the other 9 outfielders, that way, no one can touch the ball. Get the ball into this circle, then start running towards the goal. No one can technically foul DeRo because they can't get inside, and as he approaches the goal, start turning the circle to confuse the goalie. Create an opening and let him score. It's foolproof! You could even technically walk into the net, and no ones allowed to foul a player without a ball without a red card being shown.

pekduck
08-26-2009, 02:59 PM
What I don't get is how Cronin was billed as the typical english midfielder, much like Frank Lampard or Michael Carrick, and we're using him as a defensive midfielder. He should be allowed to roam. Actually, I was just thinking something.

What if we put De Rosario in the middle of a circle that is closed off by the other 9 outfielders, that way, no one can touch the ball. Get the ball into this circle, then start running towards the goal. No one can technically foul DeRo because they can't get inside, and as he approaches the goal, start turning the circle to confuse the goalie. Create an opening and let him score. It's foolproof!

right... and Dale Mitchel should have used your tactic to get us in to WC....:D

ArmenJBX
08-26-2009, 03:02 PM
I can't think of anything that could cause this to fail. Technically, no one could touch the ball if the circle was really close together with no openings. Jumping into it could be considered a foul, because you'd need to lift yourself over their heads to get in. Anyone who slide tackles has to take a red card because the player they tackle doesn't have the ball...

I mean...what would you do if you were the opposition and you see this coming towards you. I mean...it's like a guaranteed goal.

pekduck
08-26-2009, 03:04 PM
I can't think of anything that could cause this to fail. Technically, no one could touch the ball if the circle was really close together with no openings. Jumping into it could be considered a foul, because you'd need to lift yourself over their heads to get in. Anyone who slide tackles has to take a red card because the player they tackle doesn't have the ball...

I mean...what would you do if you were the opposition and you see this coming towards you. I mean...it's like a guaranteed goal.

the opposition would then form a wall and the circle cannot push the wall over else it be a foul, it'll be a stale mate.

wait... did you try to make us play pointy ball the US style, with yard markers and 4 downs as well? :facepalm:

Shaughno
08-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Is that like the Flying V of footy??????

What happened to #6? Looks like he's not got enough space and is stuck inside 15&16?????

ArmenJBX
08-26-2009, 03:08 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=16770

New thread about The Mighty Circle (c)

VPjr
08-26-2009, 04:40 PM

how do you know that TFC could use him? have you seen him play extensively?

ArmenJBX
08-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Well, he's depth for one thing, he was good enough to be offerred a contract after one tryout, and youtube videos, though not entirely accurate, reflect well on the guy.

Fort York Redcoat
08-27-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing Cronin in the role but won't jump on the Robbo dogpile.

ilikemusic
08-27-2009, 10:56 AM
So long as Robbo doesnt play I am happy.

I have been completely sick of the guy for nearly a year now.

I am glad most people here seem to be coming to realize what he is (or rather is not) bringing to the table.

DangerRed
08-27-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing Cronin in the role but won't jump on the Robbo dogpile.

I still wear Robbo's autograph proudly on my TFC shirt. For all the fuckups of late, the guy has been important to the team throughout its brief history.

bertal
08-27-2009, 12:05 PM
I still wear Robbo's autograph proudly on my TFC shirt. For all the fuckups of late, the guy has been important to the team throughout its brief history.

ditto

BFin
08-27-2009, 12:07 PM
yes what is the holdup - i've wondering about this since last week when someone posted a Dutch column saying it was tied up in visas or some such thing - since then....silence....
and then...the window closed on signing new players for the year.