PDA

View Full Version : Pablo Vitti

backbeat
08-25-2009, 03:35 PM
in today's 'The Footy Blog' by Kristian Jack

http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2009/08/25/24077.aspx

expect Argentine Pablo Vitti to be back with Toronto FC next season. Vitti is currently negotiating with TFC management over a new deal. During this negotiation his name has now appeared on the list of clients represented by agent Barry MacLean (http://www.firstwavesports.com/firstwave/clients), on the First Wave Sports Marketing website, a sure sign that a deal will be done with the club.

:hump:

Belfast_Boy
08-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Great! he's an asset to the team. young, talented and will only get better.

colman1860
08-25-2009, 03:43 PM
Great News:scarf:

Shaughno
08-25-2009, 03:43 PM
For some reason a LOT of people dislike Vitti.

Personally, I think this is a fantastic signing if true. He's been getting better and more confidant with every game and seems to finally be adjusting to the MLS.

Roogsy
08-25-2009, 03:44 PM
I like that he's coming back.

I dislike that he's signed with Barry Maclean. I think he is doing himself a disservice.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-25-2009, 03:46 PM
I think people feel he's just not worth 300k in terms of the salary structure for the league.

GingerNinja
08-25-2009, 03:46 PM
I love Vitti.
He has heart and fucking amazing moves.

grizzle
08-25-2009, 03:47 PM
:drum::flare:Good News :flare::drum:

tfcmanu
08-25-2009, 03:48 PM
This is good, However not for $300,000.

Darlofletch
08-25-2009, 03:51 PM
I'd be happy with this with a salary up to about 150,000. Any more than that and I'd have reservations.

Especially if guevara isn't back next season, then he could be an important player for us.

Shakes McQueen
08-25-2009, 03:54 PM
I'd be happy wityh this with a salary up to about 150,000. Any more than that and I'd have reservations.

Especially if guevara isn't back next season, then he could be an important player for us.

I am of the same mind. Vitti is good, but he hasn't contributed enough to be worth $300k next season.

For a reasonable price though, I'd love to have him back.

- Scott

TFC_Junky
08-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Im glad to see him come back. He's a great addition and has created problems for every team we've played. On a side note, it's nice to see people speaking positively... that dichio thread has been upsetting today...

Pachuco
08-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Great news. Hope we can keep him next year for a little less then he's making this year.

EDIT: Then again, Mo's paying Gerba 250K to be here so Gawd only knows what Mo will do.

H Bomb
08-25-2009, 04:17 PM
He's been getting better and more confidant with every game and seems to finally be adjusting to the MLS.

Agreed, still want to see more in the final 3rd. With him staying there must be a few on the way out. He'll probably need to pick up a bit more slack, and hasnt quite added enough in the goals/assists department. Having said that he's been getting better all the time and is a quality player with little ego and a desire to work

TFC07
08-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Finally some good news. :scarf:

EDIT: Just a quick question: Is TFC have to buy Vitti from Independiente first before signing him?

trane
08-25-2009, 04:42 PM
If true this is good.

Ageroo
08-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Very creative young player...I can only see upside from changing his role from a striker to a creative mid....

Shakes McQueen
08-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Finally some good news. :scarf:

EDIT: Just a quick question: Is TFC have to buy Vitti from Independiente first before signing him?

I would assume so, but I'm pretty sure all loans have to have an option to buy.

Of course, I can't imagine Independiente would ask too much for him.

- Scott

Hitcho
08-25-2009, 04:58 PM
I'd be happy with this with a salary up to about 150,000. Any more than that and I'd have reservations.

:hump: Wise words, agree 100% DarloFletch, although the actual number of his salary doesn't bother me too much, as long as we have enough left under the cap to keep the squad where it needs to be. But yeah, absent Amado, Vitti and De Ro will be the creative heart beat of the team, so he'll become a key player in that situation I think.

Yohan
08-25-2009, 05:21 PM

about same as my opinion. Vitti right now is worth an avg MLS starter salary which is about 150k and that's it

next year should be interesting for Vitti though. most Argies take an year or so to adapt to MLS, but the good players start doing good from year 2

I think Independiente is willing to let Vitti go on a free transfer, considering Argie league is having severe financial crisis

gtaguy
08-25-2009, 07:43 PM
This is good, However not for $300,000.

2nd .. If his price tag is the same as this year ,tfc is mad and desperate.. bring him down under 150 and maybe more i think its a good re-signing...

Broadview
08-25-2009, 07:50 PM
This is turning into Rohan Ricketts II, minus the personality.

Hope it's a helluva pay cut.

v00d00daddy
08-25-2009, 08:03 PM
2nd .. If his price tag is the same as this year ,tfc is mad and desperate.. bring him down under 150 and maybe more i think its a good re-signing...

if they can afford to pay Robbo 300k plus for 3 years I think they can afford to pay Vitti similar money.

Not that I think Vitti is worth 300k a season...but he deserves it more than a guy like Robbo imo.

Oldtimer
08-25-2009, 08:05 PM
I think Independiente is willing to let Vitti go on a free transfer, considering Argie league is having severe financial crisis

The Argentinian league kept itself afloat for many years by selling players. They will charge for Vitti if they can, but being desperate, I'm sure that "Trader Mo" can rip them off.

rocker
08-25-2009, 08:09 PM
i wonder what Vitti actually makes. I've assumed the 300K goes straight to Independiente and Independiente pay him whatever his contract was with Independiente (plus they probably get a profit on it). I wonder if TFC were to pay him 150K a season directly, would that be more than he makes from Independiente? Any insight on how this works?

Cuz if that's the case, it could be good for both sides -- he gets more $$ directly and TFC gets a cut on their salary budget.

Of course with the CBA situation hopefully resolved by January, maybe MLS will raise the cap and whatever he makes will mean less against the cap as a percentage (even if they still pay him 300K).

Yohan
08-25-2009, 08:13 PM
The Argentinian league kept itself afloat for many years by selling players. They will charge for Vitti if they can, but being desperate, I'm sure that "Trader Mo" can rip them off.
true. except it's for players that fetch 5 million plus pounds...

I highly doubt Vitti will fetch that much money ;) and Independiente is looking to cut wages

T0R0NT0 FC
08-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Vitti plays better than Guevara. I would choose Vitti over Guevara any day.

gtaguy
08-25-2009, 08:22 PM
if they can afford to pay Robbo 300k plus for 3 years I think they can afford to pay Vitti similar money.

Not that I think Vitti is worth 300k a season...but he deserves it more than a guy like Robbo imo.

lets not forget what his role was coming into the club. His pay was based on a striker position.. I can't personally say that his two goals are worth 150k a piece .
but to be serious the guy has flash and good footwork but he still needs more maturing in his posession of the ball.
The kid is decent not great and maybe thats why other clubs have passed on him ..
His movements are more midfield work then a striker becuase his aim sucks much like Barrett.
So if he can handle being payed 150k, Can handle the role of a midfielder/forward and forgets that hes a top striker then i can live with vitti.
Although in his defense I don't understand why Cummins always pulls him out of the game when hes playing his best footy.. :facepalm:

gtaguy
08-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Vitti plays better than Guevara. I would choose Vitti over Guevara any day.

Really and how many goals and assists have each given the team ?

Yohan
08-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Really and how many goals and assists have each given the team ?
and where is Guevara after first 1/3 of the season? he's been pretty much MIA

rocker
08-25-2009, 08:32 PM
i like Guevara more than Vitti, but I like Vitti too. And guevara is getting old... 34 next season (and he's got world cup next year perhaps). So he's gonna be busy with his country and losing a step.

Roogsy
08-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Ever since he came back from all those international games in May/June Guevara has indeed been MIA. He started the season well but has faded since. On the other hand, while he has had few goals, Vitti is constantly creating opportunities and drawing defenders, creating space for other players. Granted, what those other players do with that space is up to them.

grizzle
08-25-2009, 08:57 PM
I don't think Guevera and Vitti should really be compared. Guevara is great (when he shows up to play) and considering he takes most free kicks, corners its hard to compare the goal/assist stats of the two.

gtaguy
08-25-2009, 09:01 PM
and where is Guevara after first 1/3 of the season? he's been pretty much MIA

not denying that . and where has vitti been. in guevara,s defence i think all that international travel and his duties on the mnt probably doesn't help eigther..

gtaguy
08-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Ever since he came back from all those international games in May/June Guevara has indeed been MIA. He started the season well but has faded since. On the other hand, while he has had few goals, Vitti is constantly creating opportunities and drawing defenders, creating space for other players. Granted, what those other players do with that space is up to them.

no doubt about it .. guevara's age is a huge factor now.. vitti as a replacement could work but aslong as he learns to be a scoring midfielder . Can he do it ? . becuase striker hes not cut out for it ..

Blizzard
08-25-2009, 09:14 PM
I would assume so, but I'm pretty sure all loans have to have an option to buy.

Of course, I can't imagine Independiente would ask too much for him.

- Scott

I thought I'd heard that his Independiente contract was over at the end of this season.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-26-2009, 01:43 AM
Great signing i do hope he signs for less than the 300k, i think he will be a benefit for the team for certain

jabbronies
08-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Vitti looses the ball way too much.
95% of the time he does nothing with the ball, with alot of his fuck ups leading to proper counter attacks on our goal.

He's more of a liablity than a saviour at this point.

he should sign for about 130K max IMO

Ageroo
08-26-2009, 08:43 AM
Vitti looses the ball way too much.
95% of the time he does nothing with the ball, with alot of his fuck ups leading to proper counter attacks on our goal.

He's more of a liablity than a saviour at this point.

he should sign for about 130K max IMO

I disagree a bit with you on this one....at times he does lose the ball, but more to do with being double teamed......all fuck up are more evident to the viewer as well. I think he is very smart with the ball and gets TFC into better attacking positions and generates lots of fouls suffered with his skill. But that is just my opinion....:)

I agree......he should be signed for a lot less than what he is making now.

ArmenJBX
08-26-2009, 08:53 AM
I personally think the 300k we're giving him is just fine. Robbo is the one that needs a serious pay cut/cut from the team. Pablo Vitti brings something this team does not have, and that is a skillful players who knows how to get past players and creates attacking opportunities. I think that, yeah, maybe 250k would be right, but dropping a player like him down to the 100k's is insulting. I'd be pissed if I was traded into a new country/league with the skill I brought, and was given peanuts. Plus, he's a foreign talent, all our other good players are local MLS-ers.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-26-2009, 08:56 AM
Vitti hasn't scored enough goals, I admit, but I'm still a big fan. He has flair and skill and he creates a lot in attack, and his movement off the ball is top notch, and he'll only get better. As he gets more accustomed to the play in MLS I'm sure the goals will come.

Sadly I agree that Robbo needs a pay cut, his distribution is awful and he gives the ball away too much. It pains me to say it because I'm a Robbo fan, but yeah.

rocker
08-26-2009, 10:55 AM
let's see where the cap goes after the CBA is signed.

here's a conspiracy theory* --- MLS will raise the cap a good amount AFTER all the major signings have been done for next season ;) ;) ;)
So they'll sign Vitti to a 250-300K contract for 4 years and then Garber will raise the cap a million. hehehhe.

*this theory is not based on any facts.

prizby
08-26-2009, 11:08 AM
vitti is worth 150k...i think he will be like conor casey and find his scoring touch after a couple of years in the league

especially if we get grass

rocker
08-26-2009, 11:43 AM
pablo needs some stability with regular playing time.
he'll get that in MLS. i mean, this is first season in three years where he's actually a regular starter.

I don't think he's better than MLS quality (in other words, I don't think he's gonna leave us for Europe). That's the kind of player you need. Someone who's tangibly more skilled than the typical MLS player, but not so good that we'll just lose him next year.

Keegan
08-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Why is everyone so happy about this? We sit out of a playoff spot and we learn that we are working on one of our most overpayed and overhyped players? Yayyyyyy more mediocrity!! NEXT. Vitti wasn't worth the buck and wasn't the scorer we needed, time to find the guy who IS for that money. Freddy Montero makes half the money Vitti does....

BuSaPuNk
08-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Why is everyone so happy about this? We sit out of a playoff spot and we learn that we are working on one of our most overpayed and overhyped players? Yayyyyyy more mediocrity!! NEXT. Vitti wasn't worth the buck and wasn't the scorer we needed, time to find the guy who IS for that money. Freddy Montero makes half the money Vitti does....

Vitti was never brought in to the the target man up front. That's what Gerba was brought in to do. Vitti skill in undeniable, yes he give the ball away to cheaply sometimes but not as much as Robbo lately. Vitti plays well as a link player just behind the top 1 or 2 strikers. Give him the chance to adapt to the leauge and also the pitch (pretty sure he's never played on turf before coming here) and he'll thrive.

Also great comparision to Conner.

VPjr
08-26-2009, 12:57 PM
this is what I posted about the imminent Vitti signing on the comments section of the Footy Show Blog:

It is impossible not be cynical about the Mo / Barry McLean bromance when I read about Vitti's impending permanent move to TFC.

There are those at TFC FO who want you to believe that First Wave doesn't have as much influence over the organization as it did in 2007. Puhleeze. What utter BS.

Vitti is a talented player and might actually do better in year 2, especially if they bring in some players to complement what he does best, but simply based on results, he hasn't gotten the job done and it would be hard to argue if they sent him back to Independiente.

Of course, if Mo is willing to extend him based on 2 goals all season and likely pay him a nice salary (and cut Barry a nice commission in so doing) Vitti isn't going to complain. It will simply reinforce the perception that the standards at TFC are incredibly low.

Could you imagine if Vitti went back to Argentia? A player making his kind of money but delivering so little in return in terms of goals and assists would be afraid to leave his home for fear of intimidation by the club's ultras. Even worse for him, he'd be stuck sitting on a bench, wondering if his paycheque is going to be bounce each month.

prizby
08-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Vitti was never brought in to the the target man up front. That's what Gerba was brought in to do. Vitti skill in undeniable, yes he give the ball away to cheaply sometimes but not as much as Robbo lately. Vitti plays well as a link player just behind the top 1 or 2 strikers. Give him the chance to adapt to the leauge and also the pitch (pretty sure he's never played on turf before coming here) and he'll thrive.

Also great comparision to Conner.

it took conor casey 3 years to start his goal scoring in the MLS after coming back from Europe, things don't always happen over night, vitti would fit right into moe's 5 year plan, moe's 5th year = vitti's 3rd year = success?

backbeat
08-26-2009, 01:05 PM
this is what I posted about the imminent Vitti signing on the comments section of the Footy Show Blog:

It is impossible not be cynical about the Mo / Barry McLean bromance when I read about Vitti's impending permanent move to TFC.

There are those at TFC FO who want you to believe that First Wave doesn't have as much influence over the organization as it did in 2007. Puhleeze. What utter BS.

Vitti is a talented player and might actually do better in year 2, especially if they bring in some players to complement what he does best, but simply based on results, he hasn't gotten the job done and it would be hard to argue if they sent him back to Independiente.

Of course, if Mo is willing to extend him based on 2 goals all season and likely pay him a nice salary (and cut Barry a nice commission in so doing) Vitti isn't going to complain. It will simply reinforce the perception that the standards at TFC are incredibly low.

Could you imagine if Vitti went back to Argentia? A player making his kind of money but delivering so little in return in terms of goals and assists would be afraid to leave his home for fear of intimidation by the club's ultras. Even worse for him, he'd be stuck sitting on a bench, wondering if his paycheque is going to be bounce each month.

i don't buy this at all.

goals and assists will come but his skill and contriol are there and improving each and every game. we have next to no one on this team with his quality. he causes problems for the opposition every game. he has hit and just missed the crossbar and posts, no doubt about it but he is close to coming through on the game sheet in a big way as well. his 2nd season will be far better than his first having that under his belt.

i am thrilled and really hope the deal gets done and Vitti is here for a long time!! :scarf: :flare: :drum: :scarf:

BuSaPuNk
08-26-2009, 01:05 PM
it took conor casey 3 years to start his goal scoring in the MLS after coming back from Europe, things don't always happen over night, vitti would fit right into moe's 5 year plan, moe's 5th year = vitti's 3rd year = success?

I hear ya. As much as we all want success right now, it's better to be good for a long time then good for one year. Just look at the Shite Bulls for example. Great year last year went to the MLS Cup final.....now bottom of the barrell and going to record the worst season in leauge history. Our problems seem so peddly compared to the NYRB.

Chevy
08-26-2009, 01:08 PM
i don't buy this at all.

goals and assists will come but his skill and contriol are there and improving each and every game. we have next to no one on this team with his quality. he causes problems for the opposition every game. he has hit and just missed the crossbar and posts, no doubt about it but he is close to coming through on the game sheet in a big way as well. his 2nd season will be far better than his first having that under his belt.

i am thrilled and really hope the deal gets done and Vitti is here for a long time!! :scarf: :flare: :drum: :scarf:

+1. The "only two goals" excuse doesn't cut it with me. Vitti is great with the ball (mostly), distributes it just as good as Guevera, busts his ass on defense and is only 25. Doesn't have the change of pace to make it in the bigger euro leagues, so he should be around for another 5 years.

TFC07
08-26-2009, 01:11 PM

Good point. Too bad no one is questioning this relationship at all.

Like I said before, TFC is run by bunch of amateurs which it makes other MLSE teams' (hockey teams) management look like bunch of professional.

Too bad Raptors FO (one of the best FO's in NBA) don't know a thing or two about running a soccer club. We sure can use them to fix TFC. :(

Pookie
08-26-2009, 01:16 PM
I like Vitti

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Guevara didn't score too many last year (not hating on Guevara here, just stating a fact), either, and people forget that Vitti isn't a central striker, nor has he been played as such. He's a winger.

Razor
08-26-2009, 01:36 PM
I like Vitti as well. Glad to hear he will be back next year.

Dirk Diggler
08-26-2009, 02:25 PM
To be honest, this symbiotic relationship between Mo and Barry Mclean is indeed disturbing. There is no way that we should still be so dependent on one agent after 3 years ... especially one that also represents the GM.

Anyways, I'm glad that we are re-signing Vitti. He is quite obviously a skilled player and has a higher IQ than most players on the team. I think he'll find the scoring touch in the next couple of seasons.

prizby
08-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Good point. Too bad no one is questioning this relationship at all.

Like I said before, TFC is run by bunch of amateurs which it makes other MLSE teams' (hockey teams) management look like bunch of professional.

Too bad Raptors FO (one of the best FO's in NBA) don't know a thing or two about running a soccer club. We sure can use them to fix TFC. :(

something tells me that Maurizio Gherardini (the raptors VP and asst GM) might know a thing or two about running a football club!

rocker
08-26-2009, 02:49 PM

based on how badly Colangelo has done the past two years, I'm sure TFC fans would have run him out of town already ;)

I mean, the raps have gotten progressively worse ever since Colangelo arrived.

TFC07
08-26-2009, 03:37 PM
something tells me that Maurizio Gherardini (the raptors VP and asst GM) might know a thing or two about running a football club!

I wouldn't be surprise if he did know how to run a soccer club.

based on how badly Colangelo has done the past two years, I'm sure TFC fans would have run him out of town already ;)

I mean, the raps have gotten progressively worse ever since Colangelo arrived.

hahahaha...thanks for the laugh.

fetajr
08-26-2009, 03:53 PM
I think people feel he's just not worth 300k in terms of the salary structure for the league.

how much does carl robinson make?

VPjr
08-26-2009, 04:39 PM
i don't buy this at all.

goals and assists will come but his skill and contriol are there and improving each and every game. we have next to no one on this team with his quality. he causes problems for the opposition every game.

Don't get me wrong...I agree that Vitti is the most (or at worst 2nd most) skilled player on the squad. Yes, his stats could be much better. Yes, I believe that there is a better than average liklihood that his stats should improve.

I'm simply making the statement that, in most of the world, goals and assists are how a player of Vitti's ilk is judged. He was a #9 player in Argentina (a pure out and out striker) and he did not score for a couple of years (including his stint in Ukraine). Here he has played out of position, shown some flashes of brilliance and lots of hustle but he seems snakebit or lacking in confidence in front of goal.

It bothers me tremendously to make this comparison, by MANY posters were saying the same "excuses" / hopeful projections for Chad Barrett when it was announced that he was being extended. "He'll continue to improve", "he's bound to score 10 goals per year", etc. etc.. Sadly, Chad is the same player for TFC that he was for Chicago and now TFC is sitting on a contract that can't be moved.

IF Mo Johnston were to find some truly complimentary players to work with a player like Vitti (i.e. someone who knows how to play give and go and move properly off the ball), I think Pablo becomes a gem. But that requires me to trust Mo's ability to bring in the right type of players. I can't do that.

Blizzard
08-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Don't get me wrong...I agree that Vitti is the most (or at worst 2nd most) skilled player on the squad. Yes, his stats could be much better. Yes, I believe that there is a better than average liklihood that his stats should improve.

I'm simply making the statement that, in most of the world, goals and assists are how a player of Vitti's ilk is judged. He was a #9 player in Argentina (a pure out and out striker) and he did not score for a couple of years (including his stint in Ukraine). Here he has played out of position, shown some flashes of brilliance and lots of hustle but he seems snakebit or lacking in confidence in front of goal.

It bothers me tremendously to make this comparison, by MANY posters were saying the same "excuses" / hopeful projections for Chad Barrett when it was announced that he was being extended. "He'll continue to improve", "he's bound to score 10 goals per year", etc. etc.. Sadly, Chad is the same player for TFC that he was for Chicago and now TFC is sitting on a contract that can't be moved.

IF Mo Johnston were to find some truly complimentary players to work with a player like Vitti (i.e. someone who knows how to play give and go and move properly off the ball), I think Pablo becomes a gem. But that requires me to trust Mo's ability to bring in the right type of players. I can't do that.

It reminds me of when Pele first joined the Cosmos. It didn't matter how brilliant he was, if he didn't have quality people to work with, the club was not going to succeed.

It's the same with Vitti. While I don't expect him to be the Pele of TFC, he does need teammates to sync with. They are limited now.

With Dichio retiring, Amado possibly returning home and god know's what happening to Robbo, the time is prime to bring in a new cast of characters that can work with a Vitti type player.