PDA

View Full Version : If we do not make the playoffs it is time for a different direction

trane
08-25-2009, 09:13 AM
I am more positive then most, for once, I think we will make the playoffs and I still have hope that Cummins will become a good manager.

However, if we do not make the playoffs, there must be a change of direction. It seems like the reasonable thing to do, as to me not making the playoffs that there is something fundametaly wrong it the overall approach of managment. We are close enough now that if we have the right players and coaching we shuold be able to nail down a spot. If we do not it will be a huge failure in my eyes.

trane
08-25-2009, 09:31 AM
I do not think you blow up the team, but new managment on the pitch and in the FO is needed, if we do not make the playoffs.

Hitcho
08-25-2009, 09:33 AM
I am more positive then most, for once, I think we will make the playoffs and I still have hope that Cummins will become a good manager...

This is where your post(s) should have ended.

Worry about the rest if/when it happens, especially since you don't think it'll even come about! :D

Beach_Red
08-25-2009, 10:07 AM
I do not think you blow up the team, but new managment on the pitch and in the FO is needed, if we do not make the playoffs.

The team is in the middle of turning over from a start-from-scratch-expansion team to an established team on the same footing as the others in the league.

It's clearly two teams at the moment - the players they were able to con into coming to an expansion team in Canada - and good on those players for taking on the challenge when many (most) wouldn't have - and the players acquired that every team had a chance to take.

So, yes, there is certainly room for optimism as the 'new' team looks pretty good.

billyfly
08-25-2009, 10:20 AM
How can Clownbus (to borrow BC's term) have such sh*tty support, a FO with such horrible people skills and yet be so good at making a successful football team.

ARGH!

mastermixer
08-25-2009, 10:21 AM
This could be a potentialy disasterous off season:
a) we do not make the playoffs/champions league
b) find out no grass will be laid on BMO field
c) consequently DeRo (and other players) lobby to leave TFC leaving us with scrap players.
d) long shot - our young stars (Cronin, Frei) leave town for bigger things in other continents

AL-MO
08-25-2009, 10:23 AM
I'll cross that bridge when I get to it trane!

Oldtimer
08-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Why talk about it now? It doesn't make sense.

It's like the threads that discussed what to do now that we "lost" the Canadian Championship. :rolleyes:

Those threads disappeared after the Miracle in Montreal.

olegunnar
08-25-2009, 10:35 AM
How can Clownbus (to borrow BC's term) have such sh*tty support, a FO with such horrible people skills and yet be so good at making a successful football team.

ARGH!

It's two different aspects of running a team.
1. the business side (which they suck at)
and
2. the football/soccer side (which they've been good at).

We're the opposite.... bizarro Clownbus...in more ways than one.

trane
08-25-2009, 10:36 AM
^ I hope managment is looking ahead, meaning that a plan b is in place. On the whole we have been to reactionary in our moves. If you as a managment team have set the playoffs as the goal, you should have a what if we do not meet our goal scenario. Overwise you are always caught with you pants down, and a step behind.

Beach_Red
08-25-2009, 11:07 AM
^ I hope managment is looking ahead, meaning that a plan b is in place. On the whole we have been to reactionary in our moves. If you as a managment team have set the playoffs as the goal, you should have a what if we do not meet our goal scenario. Overwise you are always caught with you pants down, and a step behind.

This legue is all about reaction, no team in this league is in the driver's seat. Every team loses its best players and scrambles to pick up what it can.

So far TFC look good at this. They've made some mistakes, sure, but there is a core of young players coming along that look good. They'll always need to be complimented with available veterans, and I'm disappointed that we don't have a DP (where did JDG end up, anyway?) but things aren't that bleak for the future of this team.

trane
08-25-2009, 11:14 AM
^ I do not think things are bleak, but at the end of last season I was questioning the general direction, and while I feel better about it now, if we are again at the same place like last year or only slightly better, we may want to find a new direction.

I understand this league has its limitations, but do we want to be leaders of followers in this league. I am sure that under the right managment there are better ways of doing business that can be tried out.

Damien
08-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Trane!

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one, bud. We've changed directions i dunno how many times in the last 2.5 seasons. I think we need stability. Let these guys get used to each other.

Maybe just utilize our up-and-coming youth a lil more.

D.

trane
08-25-2009, 11:21 AM
^ I always disagree with you, out of principle.

Were have you been?

Damien
08-25-2009, 11:24 AM
^ Hanging out at Quest Field... im really becoming a Sounders fan, they're awesome.

Hahaha, NOT!

I'm just rarely online, need to scope out the babes!

trane
08-25-2009, 11:26 AM
^ We need too do some beers, were you can scope the bambinas.

Damien
08-25-2009, 11:30 AM
^ as long as we both agree that tfc does not need to change direction if we miss the playoffs :D

trane
08-25-2009, 11:40 AM
^ Sure. Mo can stay for his five year plan.

Damien
08-25-2009, 11:44 AM
^ lol, thread closed :lol:

Chewy Unikronik
08-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Trane!

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one, bud. We've changed directions i dunno how many times in the last 2.5 seasons. I think we need stability. Let these guys get used to each other.

D.
DING!!! :hump:

Fort York Redcoat
08-25-2009, 12:22 PM
New direction? What was the old direction? It's almost as bad as last year but if it's not good enough we should change direction again. What if the direction we change to accidentally is the direction we were on two directions ago?

But srsly, FO change is something, but who? To who?

Anyone else is not an answer.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-25-2009, 12:35 PM
TFC is still in the building mode and must continue without drastic changes..CC will be back so will MO its on the field we need improving,
we need a quality midfield player and a natural striker, then we should be fine. Not expecting the playoffs this season anyways,it will be a bonus if it happens, not surprising if it doesnt.