PDA

View Full Version : Helping our DeRo

Shep
08-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Wondering if we can add something to the move DeRo is making to push the City to get on the ball.

Has there been any thoughts about a letter-writing campaign or bombarding them with phone calls?

The letter-writing (or mass emailing) would probably work the best, either to the local MP, City Council or whoever might be in the top spot to make this decision.

Just curious if this would be something RPB would like to organize, maybe in conjunction with other SG's. Could be done with a pre-written letter we all copy/sign or we could give a rough layout to follow. No cursing or insulting, purely professional.

It seems like the pressure game is on, and we need to speak louder than those who want to keep it the way it is for community use.

Thoughts?

(if this has already been done or is in the works, sorry for being slow!)

rocktml
08-22-2009, 12:22 PM
hehe funny title.............."our" DeRo

Shep
08-22-2009, 12:22 PM
hehe funny title.............."our" DeRo

He's ours atm! Let's try to keep him :)

rocker
08-22-2009, 12:33 PM
let's make little plexiglass capsules of real grass and Fedex them to councillors with a note about the importance of this.. :) on second thought, they might think it's a bomb!!!!

FluSH
08-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Hey Shep...

Something is in the preliminary process from RPB... I can't say more as I am not the lead involved, however rest assure we will have an initiative in place.

Shep
08-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Hey Shep...

Something is in the preliminary process from RPB... I can't say more as I am not the lead involved, however rest assure we will have an initiative in place.

Sounds good! I guess this can be closed until it is announced.

Looking forward to doing my part :scarf:

FluSH
08-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Sounds good! I guess this can be closed until it is announced.

Looking forward to doing my part :scarf:

Yes,

Hopefully we will have communication out to everyone shortly.

-FluSH

Edit: however let's leave this thread open to brainstorm further ideas... and hear what the people have to say.

RedRum
08-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Hey Shep...

Oh noes!! That sounds like complaining!! :D

Good on anyone taking an initiative. Hopefully RPB members can adopt a unified metality on this issue and support it fully.

TFCtoMUFC
08-22-2009, 01:25 PM
I think letter writing will do more than emails, an email can be gone with a click, hundreds of letters can't be.

Shakes McQueen
08-22-2009, 02:45 PM
BAKE SALE.

- Scott

James Oliphant
08-22-2009, 02:56 PM
BAKED SALE.

- Scott

Fixed.

What? Not that kind of grass?

brad
08-22-2009, 04:04 PM
As a voter, letting your appropriate city councillour know that you support grass at BMO is bound to be the most effective route.

That, and Miller is up for re-election next year, and needs to go a long way to make up for the strike...

Shakes McQueen
08-22-2009, 04:26 PM
I think making a scene at City Hall would be a good start. Maybe sitting in on the council meetings about the issue. Also, we could ask (as a SG) for a meeting with David Miller, to focus our efforts together, since I'm sure he'd also love to see grass.

Terrorizing Joey Pants would likely be pointless, and would just give him an opportunity to demonize. But getting on all of the other councilors is a good idea.

We also have to remember to keep pressure on MLSE, so that Anselmi follows through on what he said they wanted to do.

- Scott

Limestone
08-22-2009, 05:36 PM
we need a banner made out of astro-turf.

Detroit_TFC
08-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Dump four tons of grass seed on the sidewalk in front of City Hall?

denime
08-22-2009, 11:20 PM
I already sent email to my Canceloir Moscoe who forwarded to Canceloir Pantalone,and Pantalone replied to me 10 days ago:

This is the email I copy from RPB fellow and sent to my Canceloir:

Good morning Mr. Moscoe

As a resident of ward 15,Toronto, I am writing to you in order to express my interest over the BMO field surface. I know it is an issue that is supposed to be brought up in the fall session of council, and though I understand the civic worker's strike has taken up a lot of the council's time, it would be a mistake to put this issue off for too long.

Essentially, though I understand the initial reasons behind mandating public use for this facility, I don't think you can expect a playing surface to sustain extensive public use, and still remain suitable for a professional game. Because of the public use over the past 2 years, the surface of the stadium has gotten progressively worse. Not only have I played on the surface during the winter and seen first hand the poor quality, but even as a spectator I've been able to notice how poorly the field-turf behaves in a game situation. From my point of view, the initial deal to have public use in a professional stadium has become untenable.

Not only is the surface playing poorly, but the very fact we are using an inferior surface, as compared to natural grass, is beginning to have a negative impact on our professional soccer team, as well as our city. High level players have refused to play for Toronto because of the surface, which reflects negatively on Toronto on the world stage, and could have a significant impact on future tourism in the city, specifically on people coming to Toronto to see TFC play.

Because of this, I implore you, and the council, to address this issue as soon as possible. I understand MLSE is willing to pay for the new surface, as well as a new community use field. If this is the case, the negative financial impact to the city of Toronto would be minimal, but the potential gains would be significant. Please do not let such a positive and necessary change be mired in the political process unnecessarily.

Regards,

https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif
Canceloir Moscoe to me:

Denis:
I am forwarding your comments to Councillor Joe Pantalone, who is chair of the board of Exhibition Place. They own and operated the Field. I look forward to his comments.Canceloir Joe Pantalone to me:

Hi
Thank you for the e mail.
The BMO Field artificial turf playing surface was installed in 2007 with the full support of the Canadian Soccer association and, more importantly, FIFA which staged the very successful FIFA under 20 World Soccer championship.As we all know soccer at the BMO Field has exceeded all expectations, both in terms of professional and amateur events.

We now have reached a crossroads, with the speeded up usage and with the desire to change the artificial turf into grass. You will be pleased to know that intense and constructive discussions are presently underway between Exhibition Place/City of Toronto and MLSE on replacing the artificial turf with grass and the building of a bubble nearby (for November to April community/amateur soccer usage which has to be indoor, given our climate).
I am pleased to say that these discussions are going well and we expect to announce a decision in a matte of months.:rolleyes:
Thanks again for e mailing me and I hope the information provided addresses the issue in a satisfactory manner.

Joe Pantalone
Deputy Mayor
City of Toronto

p: 416.392.4009
f: 416.392.4100
e: councillor_pantalone@toronto.ca

ensco
08-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Hey Shep...

Glad to see this.

RPB, please consider the possibility that the City (and whatever bureaucrat/politician objects) is not being unreasonable about this. DeRo wasn't putting pressure on the "City", he was putting pressure on whoever can get him grass.

I think the pressure rightly belongs on MLSE.

For instance, the City already owns the much-ballyhooed Lamport. So MLSE can't just "improve" Lamport, even if Lamport is well-located, derelict and underutilized. After all, the City could sell Lamport to a condo developer for millions. MLSE has to buy or rent an appropriate location for the replacement facility, not get it given to them by the City. If the proposed location is civic property, then it has to be paid for. That's just the way it is. Anyone would be right to be concerned that MLSE may not be willing to do this.