PDA

View Full Version : World Soccer Daily shuts down

London
08-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Well a big blow was dealt to american soccer fans today as world soccer daily has decided to shut down there daily 2 hour show, as one of the hosts has been threatened time and time again for something he said about liverpool.
I guess last night the people that have been threatening him have now started to threaten his family and friend so he says enough is enough and today is the last broadcast.
Whatever his comments were,right or wrong, no one should threaten someones family over a comment.
Sad day for soccer in North America

(it was on siruis and podcast on itunes and syndicated around the USA)

Shep
08-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Was it tied into the Sports Direct shirt issue?

http://www.worldsoccerdaily.com/archives/2332

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/aug/19/hillsborough-shirt-apology-sports-direct

I can see LP fans getting right upset about that if it's the same issue. I wonder if WSD commented on the shirt...

I might be way off base though. The shirt thing looked like it just happened.

Either way you are right though, threatening someone's family is low.

Daveisonfire
08-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Damn...they put together a decent podcast. I will miss the show.

Daveisonfire
08-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Was it tied into the Sports Direct shirt issue?

http://www.worldsoccerdaily.com/archives/2332

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/aug/19/hillsborough-shirt-apology-sports-direct

I can see LP fans getting right upset about that if it's the same issue. I wonder if WSD commented on the shirt...

I might be way off base though. The shirt thing looked like it just happened.

Either way you are right though, threatening someone's family is low.

No, it couldn't be about that because in yesterdays (I think) pod they were talking about how Sports Direct were in the wrong when the shirt was printed.

Shep
08-21-2009, 04:45 PM
http://www.epltalk.com/steven-cohen-blames-liverpool-fans-for-hillsborough-disaster/5915

This is why. Ouch.

CretanBull
08-21-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm surprised he didn't follow that nonsense up with stories of how Liverpool fans pick-pocket the dead.

London
08-21-2009, 04:55 PM
^^^ yeah that how it started,though it evolved far past that, but his family does not deserve to feel the wrath of pissed off liverpool fans who are mad at him!

TFC OZZ
08-21-2009, 05:28 PM
This is a fucking joke. I loved listening to that show. Who cares if someone makes a joke or comment in poor taste, get over it! Especially after they apologized... "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."

CretanBull
08-21-2009, 05:56 PM
^ Scoursers have been demonized for Hillsborough for years, so it's not just a joke in bad taste its perputating a negative stereotype (akin to a form of racism IMO) and blaming the victims for one of the worst tragedies in sports history.

zeelaw
08-21-2009, 06:00 PM
It's sad that a show that is such a flagship for footy in North America is gone.

Saying that, I am a Liverpool fan and I stopped listening to WSD because of Cohen a LONG time ago before all this hillsborough talk. He actually hates the club and it ruins the show. I coulndn't stand it, thats why I stopped listenting 2 summers back. Kenny Hassan was great and I hope he finds work, but Cohen was a fucking clown.

R.I.P WSD though.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Eeek... that is kind of inexcusable, not to mention ill-informed. Sure, people showed up without tickets, but truly at fault was poor stadium design, with fences to separate the crowd, and poor planning and crowd control. Hillsborough never should have had to happen but to say the stadium was fine and it was down to Liverpool fans sneaking in without tickets is incorrect. It's just a shame that 96 people had to die for things to finally begin to change. I'm not gonna lie, I hate Liverpool FC, but yeah.

torontocelt
08-21-2009, 06:03 PM
This is a fucking joke. I loved listening to that show. Who cares if someone makes a joke or comment in poor taste, get over it! Especially after they apologized... "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."

Seriously, are you for real?

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-21-2009, 06:07 PM
^ Scoursers have been demonized for Hillsborough for years, so it's not just a joke in bad taste its perputating a negative stereotype (akin to a form of racism IMO) and blaming the victims for one of the worst tragedies in sports history.
To add perspective, though, it's a combination of that and Heysel- which I also might add would have been easily prevented by better preparation by UEFA and the Belgian authorities.. Not that I'm in any way excusing the placing of the blame for Hillsborough on Liverpool fans, but it's not the only reason they're stereotyped.

torontocelt
08-21-2009, 06:13 PM
To add perspective, though, it's a combination of that and Heysel. Not that I'm in any way excusing the placing of the blame for Hillsborough on Liverpool fans, but it's not the only reason they're stereotyped.

Is it right to spout misinformation to a large audience 20 years after the disaster when it has already been investigated though? With regards to another football disaster, the Ibrox disaster, would it be fair for the same guy to say it was the fault of Celtic fans? I could spout a whole heap of incorrect info about many topics but if I am broadcasting it and it is offensive to many people then I would expect to lose my job.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Is it right to spout misinformation to a large audience 20 years after the disaster when it has already been investigated though? With regards to another football disaster, the Ibrox disaster, would it be fair for the same guy to say it was the fault of Celtic fans? I could spout a whole heap of incorrect info about many topics but if I am broadcasting it and it is offensive to many people then I would expect to lose my job.
Yes, I agree with you. ;)

Even after Heysel the blame was incorrectly heaped upon the shoulders of all Liverpool supporters for the actions of a few- and as I said, UEFA and the Belgian FA were primarily to blame for choosing such a rundown stadium and not bothering to have proper policing. There's a famous picture of a Liverpool supporter trying to drag Italians out from under pieces of debris. Let's not talk about this though, it's depressing. :(

Gazza_55
08-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Well a big blow was dealt to american soccer fans today as world soccer daily has decided to shut down there daily 2 hour show, as one of the hosts has been threatened time and time again for something he said about liverpool.
I guess last night the people that have been threatening him have now started to threaten his family and friend so he says enough is enough and today is the last broadcast.
Whatever his comments were,right or wrong, no one should threaten someones family over a comment.
Sad day for soccer in North America

(it was on siruis and podcast on itunes and syndicated around the USA)

I have listened to WSD for awhile and love that show for the great guests they have on but Cohen ..... well I can't stand him. I was hoping they would fire him and keep the show on.

TFC OZZ
08-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Seriously, are you for real?

Absolutely. It was a terrible disaster and a sad day for football, but just because some moron got a shirt in bad taste doesn't mean everyone should be up in arms over it; that goes for Cohen's comments as well. I can think of far worse things that deserve more attention. It seems like every other day there's still some outcry over Hillsborough. If you don't like what Cohen or the guy who bought the shirt think, ignore them.

zeelaw
08-21-2009, 07:44 PM
There's a famous picture of a Liverpool supporter trying to drag Italians out from under pieces of debris. Let's not talk about this though, it's depressing. :(
I've never seen that pic can you pm me it?

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-21-2009, 07:50 PM
^I saw it in a newspaper, you might find it by searching on google, worth a try.

s2cazz
08-21-2009, 07:57 PM
I have always liked that show... i listen to it almost every night right after work when I am on days... i haven't listened for 2 weeks because I have been on afternoons so this is a big surprise for me....

I have never personally had a problem with liverpool or its fans but I have decided in light of these events to add them to my shit list.......

that show was one of the biggest media engines promoting soccer in North America and now its gone.... we don't have enough media attention for the sport

s2cazz
08-21-2009, 08:09 PM
I have been listening to the show for a while now and this whole liverpool thing has been going on for quite some time... He made some kind of comments about the fans being to blame for the hillsborough disater or something to that effect.... right or wrong it didn't warrant threats on him or his family

prizby
08-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Eeek... that is kind of inexcusable, not to mention ill-informed. Sure, people showed up without tickets, but truly at fault was poor stadium design, with fences to separate the crowd, and poor planning and crowd control. Hillsborough never should have had to happen but to say the stadium was fine and it was down to Liverpool fans sneaking in without tickets is incorrect. It's just a shame that 96 people had to die for things to finally begin to change. I'm not gonna lie, I hate Liverpool FC, but yeah.

i wasn't going to say anything, but frankly, the only things I have ever heard and was ever told, so in sense, I was educated as, was that Liverpool fans overcrowded and people without tickets got in...thats how i was told it was...so i can see how he made the mistake, because i think this how we have been educated as from the incident

Detroit_TFC
08-21-2009, 08:17 PM
I guess it's not surprising it came to this. Once the local fomenters of this campaign got LFC FO's endorsement to pursue this, I figured they'd have his show eventually.

Cohen's opinions aside, he put together a top notch football show, especially in the last year or so when they started have a lot more correspondents and guests. No offense to the many blogs and podcasts out there, but there is simply not anything like it anymore. I wonder if Sirius will replace that slot with another show, they already broadcast the Football Show with Charlie Stillatano and Giorgio Chinaglia but that's only once a week.

Mikey
08-21-2009, 09:12 PM
He's scum, I hope he swells up and dies.

carefree_cfc
08-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Absolutely. It was a terrible disaster and a sad day for football, but just because some moron got a shirt in bad taste doesn't mean everyone should be up in arms over it; that goes for Cohen's comments as well. I can think of far worse things that deserve more attention. It seems like every other day there's still some outcry over Hillsborough. If you don't like what Cohen or the guy who bought the shirt think, ignore them.

Good for you TFC OZZ, i'm with you 100 percent. This show has become a regular part of my day for the last two years. The first episode I ever listened to had Steven's rant about the linesman in the 07 gold cup after the canada v US semi final. what a great rant it was!

This may have been about justice for the 96 for the first little while, but it grew into a much more vile and disgusting tirade by these so called 'liverpool fans' as time went on.

I hope Steven, Kenny and all the past hosts realize that they helped lay the groundwork for the rise of Football in this country. 20 years from now I hope they look back on the show and realize their true impact on the game here.

These guys told it like it was, agree or disagree with them...and i'll miss the show dearly.

bangersandmash
08-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Lets not forget that right or wrong, Cohen didn't pull the plug on the show until someone "reached out" to his step children. Children.

Both sides are probably guilty of playing "internet tough guy," but we lost a great football podcast because someone dragged his kids into this.

s2cazz
08-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Good for you TFC OZZ, i'm with you 100 percent. This show has become a regular part of my day for the last two years. The first episode I ever listened to had Steven's rant about the linesman in the 07 gold cup after the canada v US semi final. what a great rant it was!

This may have been about justice for the 96 for the first little while, but it grew into a much more vile and disgusting tirade by these so called 'liverpool fans' as time went on.

I hope Steven, Kenny and all the past hosts realize that they helped lay the groundwork for the rise of Football in this country. 20 years from now I hope they look back on the show and realize their true impact on the game here.

These guys told it like it was, agree or disagree with them...and i'll miss the show dearly.
Bang on my friend... for those of us who did care about the show the following companies were sponsors of the hate campaign of Liverpool FC NY

FourFourTwo

Heineken

WorldSoccerShop

WhoAreYa Designs

Sporting Glory

I sent emails to the 2 I am a customer of and asked to be removed from their site and mailing list... I urge anyone else who feels the same to do so

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-21-2009, 09:47 PM
I don't read 4-4-2 anyway, too pricy. ;)

s2cazz
08-21-2009, 11:19 PM
email to Who Are Ya Designs

I would like to be removed from your accounts and from your mailing list. I am thoroughly disgusted with the actions of Liverpools supporters and you support to them. This is a sad day for football in North America and I promise you that I will never do business with your company again due to this. Whether Steven Cohen’s opinions were right or wrong this is thoroughly disgusting. You can be assured that I will do everything in my power to ensure that none of my friends or family will do business with you either.

Sincerely,

Michael Di Menna

email from Who Are Ya Designs

Hey Michael,

Not sure where you received this info from, but you're dead wrong. You need to remove Who Are Ya Designs from your list. I emailed you about, too. ...and FYI, a customer notified me that we are on LFCNY's website as a "partner". They have been duly notified that they need to not give us credit for something we didn't participate in.

Take a look at your email and if you have any questions I am available for a chat.

Thanks,

Moki

torontocelt
08-21-2009, 11:29 PM

Well the only thing I can say is imagine if this were your club and this guy was spouting lies about it, maybe then you would see it differently. Liverpool has many fans and they have been absolved through a court of law of blame, that is good enough for me. Don't be so naive to believe that the comments of a radio host don't count for much, Liverpool football club and its fans are being dragged through the mud for something that in a court of law they have been cleared for, that for me is very wrong.

Daveisonfire
08-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Well the only thing I can say is imagine if this were your club and this guy was spouting lies about it, maybe then you would see it differently. Liverpool has many fans and they have been absolved through a court of law of blame, that is good enough for me. Don't be so naive to believe that the comments of a radio host don't count for much, Liverpool football club and its fans are being dragged through the mud for something that in a court of law they have been cleared for, that for me is very wrong.

You're right....let's go threaten someone's kids over it yeah?

s2cazz
08-21-2009, 11:38 PM
you know whats funny ... our old friend Mr. Archer is thanked by LFCNY on their site for his help in shutting down WSD....

ilikemusic
08-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Shitty news.

Funny enough, I deleted the podcast off my itunes like a day ago just to clear up some space for more music.

I really enjoyed listening for the last couple years. Just a few general comments about the whole thing.

1. I think he is perfectly entitled to place alot of blame for Hillsboro on fans who showed up and rushed the gates without tickets. All of this 'it was security's fault, it was the architect's fault, it was everyone but the thousands of people who crashed the gates' fault'. OJ Simpson was cleared in a court of law. Just because a court says something doesnt make it true.

2. He talked about it way too fucking much. Its part of why I deleted the podcast from my itunes. Personally, I dont give a flying fuck about Liverpool or their supporters groups. I want to hear football talk, not this politics bullshit. Stephen should have dropped the issue a long time ago and it never would have come to this point. It was alot of 'internet tough guy' talk, and Stephen and his show fell victim. Take this as a lesson everybody. DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.

3. The people making personal threats are complete scum.

The show had become almost completely unlistenable though. Seemed every 5 minutes they would bring up this inane bullshit again.

Also, I was kind of getting annoyed at the lack of MLS coverage. I know MLS can be boring but at least recap the league a little instead of having people with accents nobody can understand call in and ramble on about how (insert team here) made some big signings nobody has ever heard of and is going to contend.

TFC Via Buffalo
08-22-2009, 12:58 AM
Fuck. I turn on my comp to listen to the show and come here, and I see this!!! I loved listening to the show, even as a LFC fan, I am completely against the threats and all that shit. That's pure garbage. It's where I go a lot of my, if not about 85% of my soccer news. Now what the hell do I do? Anyone got any suggestions? ESPN's podcast suck.

ilikemusic
08-22-2009, 01:03 AM
Fuck. I turn on my comp to listen to the show and come here, and I see this!!! I loved listening to the show, even as a LFC fan, I am completely against the threats and all that shit. That's pure garbage. It's where I go a lot of my, if not about 85% of my soccer news. Now what the hell do I do? Anyone got any suggestions? ESPN's podcast suck.

I was listening to it less and less recently.

My only footy podcasts left are The Footy Show podcast from The Score (My favourite) and the Soccer Show Podcast from the Fan 590.

The 505 and Guardian podcasts are okay, though I dont listen to them with any regularity.

H Bomb
08-22-2009, 01:53 AM
close it before someone gets shot

torontocelt
08-22-2009, 07:14 AM
You're right....let's go threaten someone's kids over it yeah?

Yep that is exatly what I am saying :picard:

Oldtimer
08-22-2009, 08:27 AM
I was listening to it less and less recently.

My only footy podcasts left are The Footy Show podcast from The Score (My favourite) and the Soccer Show Podcast from the Fan 590.

The 505 and Guardian podcasts are okay, though I dont listen to them with any regularity.

The BBC's World Football Phone-In is really good, and sometimes covers MLS (when it does, they use Shawn Wheelock, who is an excellent American commentator).

"It's called Football" is a decent MLS-based podcast.

jloome
08-22-2009, 09:57 AM
A couple of points:

1. Huge numbers of advertisers had deserted the show after his initial comments. So while he's publicly claiming "threats to his family," it may just be that his own cockup -- for which he apologized, but never retracted -- is what killed the show. He's acted border-line sociopathically about this whole thing, fucking up, insulting the families of many, many dead people and then, on being forced to offer a public apology, refusing to retract his statements.

2. The inquiry into Hillsborough was enormous, is widely available, and as a media host, he had a responsibility to be accurate, particularly when so many families lost their husbands, their wives and their children.

This was a disaster of epic proportions, not a one-dead fender bender on the expressway. If a mistake like that ultimately led to him being removed from the air, that seems somewhat just.

His half-hearted attempt at an apology did not explain the factual errors he made and even went on to suggest that he has a "right to his opinion." While true, that pretty much makes the apology a second slap in the face, because you don't apologize sincerely unless you recognize your own mistake, and he claims he doesn't.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, and further proof that having a quaint English accent doesn't actually qualify you to be a radio host. No wonder Carver refused to talk to him; somebody probably tipped him to what he was dealing with.

jloome
08-22-2009, 10:02 AM
[quote=ilikemusic;681152]Shitty news.

1. I think he is perfectly entitled to place alot of blame for Hillsboro on fans who showed up and rushed the gates without tickets. quote]

Then you are, frankly, a fucking idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.

This wasn't a "court hearing" it was a massive, months-long public inquiry. Even the police, who initially tried to shift blame from their own members to victims' families with the "rush the gate" nonsense, testified on the majority that there was no evidence of such.

In fact, everyone involved testified that that story -- which led to the vilification of the Sun newspaper in Liverpool to this day -- was false.

Finally, the Sun itself apologized for the story a couple of years ago, admitting it was grossly inaccurate.

So, even the originators of the story say it wasn't true. And yet with nothing but third- or fourth-hand knowledge at best of the incident and obviously not having read any of the Hillsborough report, you think it's okay to come on here and insult the families of people who died tragically.

If you were smart enough, you'd be ashamed.

thisisinternetclash
08-22-2009, 10:10 AM
BBC World Football Phone-In and The Guardian's Football Weekly and Football Weekly Extra are outstanding.

ilikemusic
08-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Shitty news.

1. I think he is perfectly entitled to place alot of blame for Hillsboro on fans who showed up and rushed the gates without tickets.

Then you are, frankly, a fucking idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.

You dont think Cohen is entitled to say what he likes?

I didnt say he was right to say it.

I didnt say he was justified in saying it.

I said he was entitled to say it.

If you were smart enough, you would know what 'entitled' means.

graeme117
08-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Shitty news.

Funny enough, I deleted the podcast off my itunes like a day ago just to clear up some space for more music.

I really enjoyed listening for the last couple years. Just a few general comments about the whole thing.

1. I think he is perfectly entitled to place alot of blame for Hillsboro on fans who showed up and rushed the gates without tickets. All of this 'it was security's fault, it was the architect's fault, it was everyone but the thousands of people who crashed the gates' fault'. OJ Simpson was cleared in a court of law. Just because a court says something doesnt make it true.

2. He talked about it way too fucking much. Its part of why I deleted the podcast from my itunes. Personally, I dont give a flying fuck about Liverpool or their supporters groups. I want to hear football talk, not this politics bullshit. Stephen should have dropped the issue a long time ago and it never would have come to this point. It was alot of 'internet tough guy' talk, and Stephen and his show fell victim. Take this as a lesson everybody. DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.

3. The people making personal threats are complete scum.

The show had become almost completely unlistenable though. Seemed every 5 minutes they would bring up this inane bullshit again.

Also, I was kind of getting annoyed at the lack of MLS coverage. I know MLS can be boring but at least recap the league a little instead of having people with accents nobody can understand call in and ramble on about how (insert team here) made some big signings nobody has ever heard of and is going to contend.

could a mod please shut this thread down now

in response to your "point" THAT DID NOT HAPPEN.

thanks for coming out and spouting hate

ilikemusic
08-22-2009, 01:33 PM
could a mod please shut this thread down now

in response to your "point" THAT DID NOT HAPPEN.

thanks for coming out and spouting hate

To quote the Taylor Report:

Superintendent Marshall was in the midst of the turmoil. He extricated himself and stood on a parapet of the bridge to get a clear view. A drunken fan tried to push him off: a beer can was thrown at a mounted officer. But these were isolated acts by individuals; the menace came from the massive numbers single-mindedly determined to be in for the kick-off with time running out. At the back of the crowd fans were frustrated by the lack of progress as 3 o'clock approached. Some, mostly young men who had been drinking, tried to push and force their way forward. At the front, people were jammed together and against the turnstile walls. Some panicked as the pressure intensified. Some youngsters and women were fainting and in distress. They were helped out through the tubular barrier by turnstile G or were passed over the turnstiles elsewhere. Fans climbed up and over the turnstile building or on to the dividing fence. This was to escape the crush rather than to gain free entry since most of them had tickets

Is this the entire context of the situation? Obviously not. But people did try to force their way into the venue (most with, some without tickets). This was a contributing factor to the management and crowd control situations that led to the disaster. If you have other parts to point out to me that directly contradict this bit from section 3 of the report, please, educate me.

bangersandmash
08-22-2009, 01:46 PM
For those interested, the whole report is available online (http://www.southyorks.police.uk/foi/publicationscheme/significantpublicinterest).

London
08-22-2009, 01:50 PM
so my original intent was not to start the old arguement again,please let's just leave that one alone
it was to clearly tell people that the show was going off the air for a stupid reason. (his step children were threatened)

ilikemusic
08-22-2009, 01:53 PM
so my original intent was not to start the old arguement again,please let's just leave that one alone
it was to clearly tell people that the show was going off the air for a stupid reason. (his step children were threatened)

Ive seen blog posts (not that I have any idea how credible they are) that implicate Stephen as doing some of (if not much of) the threatening. He sent an email to one of the guys spearheading the issue (Tony in New Mexico) wishing his wife a happy birthday and Tony taking this as a veiled threat and getting authorities involved and so on and so on.

At this point im not sure im willing to take either sides account's of the situation at face value.

All I know is WSD was losing sponsors over the situation and I think it is much more likely that that was the catalyst for this decision than any personal threats.

London
08-22-2009, 01:57 PM
^^^ok, so he is a fuckwad, im not arguing that, i am sure we will never get the real story.

Fort York Redcoat
08-22-2009, 02:27 PM
That show followed football and educated more North Americans about the game than any other in my opinion. When it first aired it had more balance since the co-owner Nick Geber was a red. When he left Steven had no counter and Kenny tried to smooth over instead of challenge the topic.

I refuse to engage in a discussion about events I did not attend but I had the mental fortitude to understand bias making for good radio.

Thanks again Steven, Kenny, Howard and Nick.

zeelaw
08-22-2009, 02:39 PM
The show was great for North America, but Cohen's hate for Liverpool was obvious before this whole event.

I stopped listening a year ago, but did they give any reason why Kenny couldn't just take over the show? Why kill it all.

Fort York Redcoat
08-22-2009, 02:46 PM
It was Cohens show and he enjoyed being on the air. Doing all the work and letting two other people have the fun is not his vision. Perhaps he'll resurface in another production/version. The show had far more fans than detractors.

ilikemusic
08-22-2009, 02:54 PM
The show was great for North America, but Cohen's hate for Liverpool was obvious before this whole event.

I stopped listening a year ago, but did they give any reason why Kenny couldn't just take over the show? Why kill it all.

I definitely felt a bit of animosity between Stephen and Kenny of late. Stephen would cut Kenny off alot and really just dominate the show. As far as I know it was mainly 'his' show though, so I guess he can do what he likes.

I never found Kenny to be very interesting or entertaining. I never listened when Nick Geber was a full time host, but I liked when he filled in. Hes a good radio host.

Kenny was/is a brutal host though. I probably wouldnt listen to a podcast fronted by him.

Fort York Redcoat
08-22-2009, 03:05 PM
I definitely felt a bit of animosity between Stephen and Kenny of late. Stephen would cut Kenny off alot and really just dominate the show. As far as I know it was mainly 'his' show though, so I guess he can do what he likes.

I never found Kenny to be very interesting or entertaining. I never listened when Nick Geber was a full time host, but I liked when he filled in. Hes a good radio host.

Kenny was/is a brutal host though. I probably wouldnt listen to a podcast fronted by him.

Steven and Nick own the show so Kenny is employed by Steven, explaining his tolerance.

Geber was just as bias and insulting as Steven and I didn't miss him when he left for Poker but appreciated the twos combative relationship on air.

bangersandmash
08-22-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm gonna miss the guests, too. Robbie Earl and Graham Poll especially. I've followed football since the early 80s (when my beloved Manchester United stunk worse than a slaughter house!) but I learned more about the game in two years of listening to World Soccer Daily than I did in a lifetime of playing and following the game. And Kenny... I hope he gets tapped up by Fox or ESPN. I could listen to him tell a football-related story all day long. Not enough people in the business are good story tellers. Kenny can transplant you back to a Glasgow Derby and you'd swear you were there. I wish him all the best.

keem-o-sabi
08-27-2009, 08:12 AM
too bad about his family, but I stopped listening to his show when it became Chelski radio instead of a footie show. It was good when they had the original co-host (who was a pool fan and tempered Steve's idiocracy). I actually called in a couple times back then and they were nice. I actually got a liverpool kit from them.

It wasn't until recently when he kept trying to fan the flames of the pool fans did he become just insane. It was a good show about 4 years ago.

SilverSamurai
08-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Listened to it a few times, but didn't really care about anything non-MLS or about the transfers in Europe so I stopped. Still they seemed to know their stuff.
But going after someones family is messed up...

I'll just stick w/ Fan590 and it's called Football. I'm happy.

Fort York Redcoat
08-27-2009, 10:10 AM
too bad about his family, but I stopped listening to his show when it became Chelski radio instead of a footie show. .

The passion on that show was not for everyone clearly but that's what the show was to me. Hosts that were clearly for one side but want to talk about the game every single day.

That kind of passion will be missed.

carefree_cfc
08-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Not So fast guys, looks like we might have a comeback on our hands.

http://worldsoccerreader.com/2009/08/steven-cohen-to-launch-world-football-daily/

wonderful wonderful news.

ilikemusic
08-27-2009, 10:33 AM
I always figured they would be back pretty quickly.

Video podcast though? I cant imagine they would be showing highlights, so is a video podcast really neccesary?

Either way, good news.

Ill bet they got an overwhelming flood of support that dwarfed the campaign of the angry American Liverpool fans.

London
08-31-2009, 11:32 AM
http://www.worldsoccerdaily.com/

world football dAIly is born

Razcle
08-31-2009, 11:56 AM
$10 a month subscriptiopn service isn't a bad price but I wasn't that impressed with the show to fork out cash for it. WSD was my last podcast that I would listen to if everything else was listened to. However a lot of people followed it religiously.

Will you subscribe to it?

s2cazz
08-31-2009, 12:38 PM
I definately will... I enjoyed the show and have missed it

London
08-31-2009, 12:44 PM
sucks it is not on sirius from what i can tell

ilikemusic
08-31-2009, 12:49 PM
A pay subscription?

No thank you.

Their show is a decent listen, but i'm not going to pay money to hear them ramble on about the new manager at Wigan, the ineptitude of the English national team or how much of a wanker Beckham is.

TorontoBlades
08-31-2009, 02:23 PM
....Sheffield Wednesday without incident....um, their inception was a horrible incident for starters

Sea Tac Sounder
08-31-2009, 07:32 PM
Cash grab. That's all this is.

It will = FAIL too.