PDA

View Full Version : Does Barca Have Eyes on NY?

Broadview
08-21-2009, 03:12 PM
http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/columns/lewis.php?article_id=19588

Think this would be a good thing? Hard to imagine Red Bull (the company) bailing before their shiny new stadium even hosts a game.

Roogsy
08-21-2009, 03:20 PM
A company that needs money is a company that needs money. Regardless of where projects are, sales are made with all that in consideration.

NY is a disaster. Sold several times, no championships and this year scraping the bottom of the barrel.

This is why anyone who paid MLS $40mill for a franchise would've been stupid. My guess is that if NYRB is sold, the entire package will wind up working out so someone picks up a team and doesn't even have to consider shelling out that ridiculous franchise fee.

prizby
08-21-2009, 03:22 PM
renamed metrostars?

mmmikey
08-21-2009, 03:39 PM
renamed metrostars?

i hope so...

flatpicker
08-21-2009, 03:40 PM
I doubt there is much need for concern about NY's future.
I think once they are in their new stadium, support will pick up.
Sure, they could have a new owner, no biggie...
They could have a new name, or Red Bull could still be the team sponsor.
Whatever the situation, NY will be around as long as the league is around.
Owners come and go...

Though, if they did rename the team, I say NO to Metrostars.
But New York Metros wouldn't be terrible... or Metro New York?

boban
08-21-2009, 03:59 PM
This is why anyone who paid MLS $40mill for a franchise would've been stupid. My guess is that if NYRB is sold, the entire package will wind up working out so someone picks up a team and doesn't even have to consider shelling out that ridiculous franchise fee.
Thing is, nobody paid $40 million.
Philly was $30 and Vancouver and Portland were $35 million.

Roogsy
08-21-2009, 04:01 PM
I was more referring to Montreal's hardline stance which I agreed with. MLS wanted to soak them for money and they refused. Good for them.

That's why I said "would've".

DangerRed
08-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Hasn't Thierry Henry talked about moving to New York in 2011? Perhaps he can coach them or even play there to fire up excitement for Barcelona's new investment.

C.Ronaldo
08-21-2009, 04:31 PM
stadium is not part of the deal?

huh

whos gonna get stuck with the empty stadium?

Stryker
08-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Nobody. If Barca bought the team they'd clearly take the stadium too.
Why deal with the hassles of being a tenent (see TFC) when you can own the place and do things exactly how you want.
Its not like they can't afford it.
Anywho I see Barca buying NYRB as the best thing to happen to the league since Toronto and Seattle.

rocker
08-21-2009, 04:47 PM
i'm still not sure they'll fill that stadium in Joisey. teams out there never get great attendances.. they might average 18 or 20 but filling 25 all season? I dunno.

Roogsy
08-21-2009, 06:14 PM
i'm still not sure they'll fill that stadium in Joisey. teams out there never get great attendances.. they might average 18 or 20 but filling 25 all season? I dunno.

Agreed. I dunno what they were thinking. Could be the nicest stadium in the league, but a crap team and a crap location will kill the buzz.

Redcoe15
08-22-2009, 12:26 PM
renamed metrostars?
Renamed Cosmos?

ilikemusic
08-22-2009, 01:40 PM
A company that needs money is a company that needs money. Regardless of where projects are, sales are made with all that in consideration.

NY is a disaster. Sold several times, no championships and this year scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Yep.

Im impressed the Saputo took the stance he did. MLS' franchise values are even faker than the NHL's.

Oldtimer
08-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Renamed Cosmos?

Chinaiglia holds the rights to the Cosmos name. Reportedly he is asking $1 million for the name to any takers.

Blizzard
08-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Chinaiglia holds the rights to the Cosmos name. Reportedly he is asking $1 million for the name to any takers.

Not true. The owner of the name "Cosmos" is Peppe Pinton and he has offered up the name at no charge to the right people.

A recent interview with Pinton is here: http://www.thisisamericansoccer.com/news/the-cosmos-for-free/

Kaz
08-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Rename them the Jersey Smelly Cats.

Seriously though just name them something a little more traditional.

gtaguy
08-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Not true. The owner of the name "Cosmos" is Peppe Pinton and he has offered up the name at no charge to the right people.

A recent interview with Pinton is here: http://www.thisisamericansoccer.com/news/the-cosmos-for-free/

I think renaming your club back to its original name from a marketing standpoint would be genius. Its like calling back your old fans.
Although i would never change TFC but imagine a Toronto Blizzards rivalry if some team was named that in our town.