PDA

View Full Version : Carver Losing His Way a Little Bit?

James17930
06-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Gotta say I'm a little confused by Carver's actions in the past two days.

First, he says that Sutton might not start on Sunday since Edwards kept a clean sheet last weekend. He keeps saying that if you play and do well and the team wins, then you get to 'keep the shirt.' Well, using that logic, then Robert, Sutton, Dichio, Robbo and Guevara shouldn't play against Houston, even if all are available and healthy, because, really, none of their replacements made any mistakes -- it was an almost perfect game against L.A. But really, does that policy make sense?

Brian Edwards seemed not to think so, and so assumed in training on Friday what with Sutton back, he (Edwards) would be the back-up again. And then Carver lambastes him in the press for it? I mean, WTF???

Do we really want to have a situation on the team where a player has to actually think twice about going on international duty because they're afraid they might lose their spot? That can only breed trouble in the locker room, between the players and coach and the players themselves. And embarrassing players in the press when they don't really seem to have done anything wrong just seems spiteful, somehow. Don't really know what he was trying to achieve with that.

I hope JC has a few thoughts about this and reconsiders his policy.

flatpicker
06-07-2008, 07:39 AM
I'll give JC the benefit of the doubt since he's done well so far.

canadian_bhoy
06-07-2008, 08:05 AM
No way! He's just creating a competitive environment for his players. No free rides!

JC = JC

http://i27.tinypic.com/wbc3gx.jpg

The Historian
06-07-2008, 08:12 AM

First, he says that Sutton might not start on Sunday since Edwards kept a clean sheet last weekend. He keeps saying that if you play and do well and the team wins, then you get to 'keep the shirt.' Well, using that logic, then Robert, Sutton, Dichio, Robbo and Guevara shouldn't play against Houston, even if all are available and healthy, because, really, none of their replacements made any mistakes -- it was an almost perfect game against L.A. But really, does that policy make sense?

Brian Edwards seemed not to think so, and so assumed in training on Friday what with Sutton back, he (Edwards) would be the back-up again. And then Carver lambastes him in the press for it? I mean, WTF???

Do we really want to have a situation on the team where a player has to actually think twice about going on international duty because they're afraid they might lose their spot? That can only breed trouble in the locker room, between the players and coach and the players themselves. And embarrassing players in the press when they don't really seem to have done anything wrong just seems spiteful, somehow. Don't really know what he was trying to achieve with that.

I hope JC has a few thoughts about this and reconsiders his policy.

I'm willing to give Carver the benefit of the doubt, too... though I agree that this is a... curious... move.

Yes, the team played well last week, but dominating a Beckham/Landycakes-less Galaxy is hardly a momentous achievement.

I'd like to see Edwards get some more playing time, but Houston's been on a bit of a tear lately and I'd love to see us maintain our undefeated record against the Dynamo!

ExiledRed
06-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Carver knows what he's doing.

Bluenose13
06-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Carver blasted Edwards for his attitude towards training on Friday & thought that Edwards assumed that Sutton would have the starting role. JC is 100% right, Edwards a 1st year player & should not be mailing it in at any time & I am glad Carver called him out for it. Edwards is now a Pro & should act like it all the time.

Mrs. Workie
06-07-2008, 08:33 AM

IMO, I think it's a little different with keepers. Brian earned the spot, and played well, I think we should stick with him.

ag futbol
06-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Carver blasted Edwards for his attitude towards training on Friday & thought that Edwards assumed that Sutton would have the starting role. JC is 100% right, Edwards a 1st year player & should not be mailing it in at any time & I am glad Carver called him out for it. Edwards is now a Pro & should act like it all the time.

He is right, but calling out players publicly is often a can of worms for eveyrone involved. Sometimes it works, but others it can be cancerous.

IMO, I think it's a little different with keepers. Brian earned the spot, and played well, I think we should stick with him.

questionable.., the galaxy wasn't exactly offensively threatening.

Mrs. Workie
06-07-2008, 08:49 AM

Fair enough, but Brian proved that he can play- why not give him another chance?

James17930
06-07-2008, 08:51 AM

I gotta agree -- what did they have, like one shot? I don't know if that really earns you a spot (nothing against Edwards, of course, but how can Sutton really be taken out of the line-up?)

The more important of these things to me is the international duty question. Should a player really have to worry about losing his spot on the team simply by playing for his country? And, if Carver does have this policy, is he really going to apply if fairly across the board? I.E., would he really keep Robert or Guevara out of the line-up if the team keeps winning? I highly doubt it.

Mrs. Workie
06-07-2008, 08:56 AM
The more important of these things to me is the international duty question. Should a player really have to worry about losing his spot on the team simply by playing for his country? And, if Carver does have this policy, is he really going to apply if fairly across the board? I.E., would he really keep Robert or Guevara out of the line-up if the team keeps winning? I highly doubt it.

No, they shouldn't have to worry- to be called up to play for your country is a big honour.

I guess in the end, it's good to know that when our guys do get called up, we've got the players skilled enough to fill their positions. It's that depth thing we were missing last year...

If I were Carver, would I put guys like James and Edwards back in the lineup for the next game? I'd definatly consider it.

Nuvinho
06-07-2008, 08:58 AM
JC, did this not only to keep Edwards game ready, but could be also to keep Sutton on his toes. I mean, if Sutton thinks his spot is guaranteed he may become complacent.

competition is good!

Lucky Strike
06-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Carver has said in the past (other than keeping the shirt comment) that he always plays his best available team, that he wasn't into rotating. My guess is that we'll see the regulars in the line-up with James and Smith pushing for the starting spot. As for who would come off for Smith, that's an entirely different matter.

joel
06-07-2008, 09:14 AM

I would say he was rarely tested, but played competently.

Anyways, to the main post JC is being the coach he is, he wants the best from his players, all the time. BTW we're at the top of the league, no one is losing one's way.

TorCanSoc
06-07-2008, 09:22 AM
I doubt its head-games played by Carver. I guess, as a player, if you know you are starting a game, you put on your "game face", prepare strong, get psyched-up. Its a professional attitude. I guess Edwards figured he can go on vacation for that practice. Carver wants everyone thinking they have a chance to get it, hence practice hard and stay professional.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-07-2008, 09:23 AM
with the shedual coming up in JULY for TFC...its great that we have an option in EDWARDS!!

WE play a ton that month...not including Sutton games with canada!...Im sure Carver has put this into thought.....the last thing we need is a burnt out goalie.! Come seasons end!

I think JC has been around long enough to know how to handle the situation..and im sure he has already talked with SUTTON on the issue!

JOHNNY CARVER'S ALL RED ARMY!

trane
06-07-2008, 09:24 AM
I have no reason to doubt Carver.

kdzb
06-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Guys this is a man management thing and Carver knows what he is doing.
He has been around professional players all his career and he knows when people behave unprofessionally.
I doubt that Carver did anything wrong by acting like that toward Edwards.
Remember guys it's Edwards who is a rookie and I'm sure that an ego is starting to develop in him because he had a clean sheet against a shitty Galaxy offence.
He should understand that there is more opportunities where Sutton is going to be away and then we will see if he is a good keeper against teams with real strikers.
I'm glad actually that he called him out. Trust me if Edwards wants to keep his spot in this roster, he will work his ass off either he plays the next game or not.
GO CARVER GO...Put the fire in their asses. Zero laziness policy...WE ARE PROFESSIONALS.

BeachRed
06-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Players being away for international duty is something new for North American sports fans.

The accepted practise in other sports here is that players don't lose starting positions because of injury. Is that usually the same in soccer?

kdzb
06-07-2008, 09:43 AM
I doubt its head-games played by Carver. I guess, as a player, if you know you are starting a game, you put on your "game face", prepare strong, get psyched-up. Its a professional attitude. I guess Edwards figured he can go on vacation for that practice. Carver wants everyone thinking they have a chance to get it, hence practice hard and stay professional.

Exactly, you are right 100% on that.
Just an example, this Euro that is starting today.
How many players have been called at the last minute because of injuries and stuff.
Let say, during the pregame warm up at Houston Sutton pull a muscle or something (Hope not :eek:). Is Edwards ready to replace him right there and then or he will have a shity game because he wasn't ready?
You know being a pros is very hard every day and Edwards has to know that the holidays in MLS are at the end of the season in November not now.

denime
06-07-2008, 09:45 AM
He is right, but calling out players publicly is often a can of worms for eveyrone involved. Sometimes it works, but others it can be cancerous.
You might be right with opening a can of worms,but you have to consider one thing.He talked to Edwards first and than went public not other way around.

"(Edwards) attitude and application were not right," Carver said. "What I am telling you guys I have told to his face, so I don't mind, what I won't do is talk to you guys before mentioning it to him. But he knows the score, and I have told him the situation."

Ossington Mental Youth
06-07-2008, 09:48 AM
I'll give JC the benefit of the doubt since he's done well so far.

No way! He's just creating a competitive environment for his players. No free rides!

Carver knows what he's doing.

As someone said, that was one game, yes we won but it was still one game as a result there is still along way to go.

Batman
06-07-2008, 09:51 AM
You might be right with opening a can of worms,but you have to consider one thing.He talked to Edwards first and than went public not other way around.

Sure he did, but the strange issue is why Carver thought he should talk to the press about it at all.

I'm sure Carver would be pissed if players went to the press to air their griefs.

He had his talk with Edwards, that should have been it. Going public with the press seems to smack of ego (I'm in charge kind of thing) and unproffessionalism IMHO.

ua-kozak_TFC
06-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Earned the spot????? Are you freaking kidding me!!?!?!?! There was 1 shot on goal during the whole game... Galaxy was playing shit and barely attacking how could he have earned the spot? A lot of work was done by the defence NOT him...I think you guys need smarten up.

rocker
06-07-2008, 10:09 AM
i think everything carver does is planned.. he's been around too long not to know exactly what he's doin.
calling out a rookie in public is a time-worn tactic. it also allows him to deviate from his "if you play well you stay in the lineup" mantra by arguing that practice counts. smart.

Phil
06-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Sure he did, but the strange issue is why Carver thought he should talk to the press about it at all.

I'm sure Carver would be pissed if players went to the press to air their griefs.

He had his talk with Edwards, that should have been it. Going public with the press seems to smack of ego (I'm in charge kind of thing) and unproffessionalism IMHO.

I would have to assume that Edwards had some backtalk or his actions at practice prompted Carver exposing it to teach him a lesson.

No doubt about it, Carver is the Alpha dog here and he is establishing that amongst the players.

He is just getting into the players heads to spur on even more competition between the sitters and the starters IMO.

Yohan
06-07-2008, 10:22 AM
General rule of thumb for good leader is praise in public and criticise in private... No one likes to feel singled out.

But, something must have ticked off Carver to go public

ManUtd4ever
06-07-2008, 10:28 AM
No, they shouldn't have to worry- to be called up to play for your country is a big honour.

I guess in the end, it's good to know that when our guys do get called up, we've got the players skilled enough to fill their positions. It's that depth thing we were missing last year...

If I were Carver, would I put guys like James and Edwards back in the lineup for the next game? I'd definatly consider it.

Agreed. At the very least, the reserves have to have the sense that they will be rewarded for their performance on the pitch. It's a great situation for Carver as this mentality will prevent complacency from the players...

Toronto_Bhoy
06-07-2008, 10:46 AM
For me Sutton is the Number One…until he looses it.

With all due respect the Edwards' clean sheet last week could have been done by any of our 'keepers. He really had little to do…

Greg has been outstanding…perhaps the team MVP to this point…you don't loose the shirt for serving your country!

Azerban
06-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Yeah, really, I could've kept a clean sheet against the Galaxy. After the season opener in Columbus, I don't think Edwards is ready for the big time just yet.

djking2
06-07-2008, 10:52 AM
What the article infers is that Carver had not made his mind up as to whom would be playing sunday. Edwards less than stellar performance in practice indicated that he thought the start was going to Sutton. Carvers statement should be considered in the context of the other statement regarding his displeasure with the CSA/international call-up situation. In a nutshell he was saying "I'll make the decisions just bring your a-game". Good point, he wasn't impressed with Suttons "mistake" in the DC game and I think he'd like to give Edwards the start.

ag futbol
06-07-2008, 10:59 AM
What the article infers is that Carver had not made his mind up as to whom would be playing sunday. Edwards less than stellar performance in practice indicated that he thought the start was going to Sutton. Carvers statement should be considered in the context of the other statement regarding his displeasure with the CSA/international call-up situation. In a nutshell he was saying "I'll make the decisions just bring your a-game". Good point, he wasn't impressed with Suttons "mistake" in the DC game and I think he'd like to give Edwards the start.
I think that's a little unfair.

You can look at that one mistake but we got baraged with pressure all game. He made several saves we wouldn't normally expect a goalie to make, then he messed up an easy one.

If anything is to blame that game, it's bunkering in our own end.

djking2
06-07-2008, 11:24 AM
"mistake" was the term Carver used in a post game interview, not my choice of words. I wasn't knocking Sutton. The thread title now that's a little harsh

Flipityflu
06-07-2008, 12:34 PM
nothing wrong will a little public prodding. the message is this...don't mail it in.by making edawards think he had a shot at playing this weekend, it makes sure he is always training hard. thats a message for the team.

Oldtimer
06-07-2008, 01:45 PM
A good professional coach knows that no one is untouchable and always makes players earn their shirt. That way everyone knows they have to perform, and new players step it up because they know that they can break in to the starting 11. It should apply to stars like Guevara and Robert as well.

That what was so wrong with Steve McClaren running the England squad. Everybody though they had a "divine" right to play, so they didn't perform well and some up-and-coming players were ignored. That's why the FA hired Capello, he's not impressed by your past (look, he benched Goldenballs), you have to perform for him now.

I'm very impressed with Carver, he knows what he is doing. Even tactics that I've sometimes questioned have turned out well.

ensco
06-07-2008, 03:11 PM
I also thought this was odd (from the same article):

"We might still try to get (Guevara) there for Sunday. It's not easy getting in touch with people when they're in Honduras, if that's where he is.

There were over one million cellphones in Honduras in 2004 (which means there are a lot more now) so the first part of this statement is nonsense.

http://www.telegeography.com/cu/arti...041&email=html

As for the second part, how on earth can Carver not know where he is?

Is Guevara ducking Carver?

stretchthetruth
06-07-2008, 03:34 PM
one match (a shit one at that) does not a keeper make... sutton all the way and let him play himself out of it... (which i doubt will happen)

wait, what? where the frig is guevara? did they lose him? haha geez what a weird thing to say...

yeah not sure about the cell phone situation in honduras, but my phone worked like a charm in costa rica...

footyfan
06-07-2008, 04:03 PM

JC = JC

This over all in my opinion is what scares me about Toronto FC. Other than Houston, your coach is the only one with that menality and it is sorely lacking in MLS.

Teams which have competition for starting spots not only win championships but form dynasties in this league.

Flipityflu
06-07-2008, 04:35 PM
and that is why JC is the best signing TFC has made.

Mrs. Workie
06-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Earned the spot????? Are you freaking kidding me!!?!?!?! There was 1 shot on goal during the whole game... Galaxy was playing shit and barely attacking how could he have earned the spot? A lot of work was done by the defence NOT him...I think you guys need smarten up.

And he stopped it. How many times have keepers let in soft goals because they haven't had a lot of action down their end?

He stepped up when he had to. Whether it was for 1 shot, or 15. So let's put him in against a better team, and let him prove himself there.

Bender
06-07-2008, 04:56 PM
And he stopped it. How many times have keepers let in soft goals because they haven't had a lot of action down their end?

He stepped up when he had to. Whether it was for 1 shot, or 15. So let's put him in against a better team, and let him prove himself there.

if this were last year and we were at the bottom of the table then i'd say yes, defintely... however this season we are fighting for the top spot in the league and a playoff berth, sutton has been our mvp thus far this season. we need our mvp in our lineup.

kdzb
06-07-2008, 05:10 PM

Not to worry, he will get his chance with the big boys I'm sure.
The thing is that we are pushing for a possible playoff spot and we need the best 11 out there at the moment. When that spot is guaranteed, I'm sure Edwards will get plenty time to play when Sutton is resting for the playoffs and possible Champions League games.
Edwards is a professional player and he should be professional in training as well.
I trust Carver to lead us to Glory :canada:

CretanBull
06-07-2008, 05:15 PM

The difference is that even if they end up on the bench, the other 'replacements' trained as if they wanted to/expected to start the next game, whereas Edwards took it easy assuming that Sutton would automatically get the nod. I wouldn't start Edwards, just like I wouldn't start Dunivant (if Guervara is back) but I'd still expect them to train like they want it.

jloome
06-07-2008, 07:09 PM
This is transparently an excuse on Carver's part to renege on the 'you win, you play' to get his number one goalie into the net. Having said that, it may just as easily be legitimate that Edwards was doggin' it expecting to sit on the bench and was told "you expected to sit? you get your wish", which is just good coaching.

May also be he talked to the press about it to curtail any possible rumours of 'friction' in the dressing room, which is often how one small incident like that can be misconstrued.

Dozitwin
06-07-2008, 08:27 PM
^^^ the press may also have been field side with the whole thing happened, after that he'd likely want to talk to them for the same reason listed above

SanStarko
06-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Seems like a bit of a nothing story IMO. From what's been said it seems like Edwards, for reasons known only to himself, decided he wouldn't be playing in the next game and so just half assed it in training. Not surprisingly he's gotten called on it and been made an example of. Carver mentioning it in the press is nothing. It just serves as a big wake up call for Edwards on what is expected from him while at TFC and a nice warning for the rest of the guys in the squad too.

To be honest Edwards should think himself lucky that this is all that's happened to him. I can think of a number of managers who would have went a lot further and probably dropped Edwards from anything to do with the First Team squad for a few weeks, including telling him to train with the kids instead of the First Team guys.

colman1860
06-07-2008, 11:39 PM
I think that's a little unfair.

You can look at that one mistake but we got baraged with pressure all game. He made several saves we wouldn't normally expect a goalie to make, then he messed up an easy one.

If anything is to blame that game, it's bunkering in our own end.

What extraordinary saves did Sutton make in that game. He was to blame on the first goal, when he came out and hesitated on the corner. The third goal was a shambles. I didnt see the penalty, but I heard that as far as penalties go, it was stoppable. He cost us that game. Period.

James17930
06-07-2008, 11:41 PM
This is transparently an excuse on Carver's part to renege on the 'you win, you play' to get his number one goalie into the net. Having said that, it may just as easily be legitimate that Edwards was doggin' it expecting to sit on the bench and was told "you expected to sit? you get your wish", which is just good coaching.

May also be he talked to the press about it to curtail any possible rumours of 'friction' in the dressing room, which is often how one small incident like that can be misconstrued.

Yes -- someone has finally figured it out.

Which is why I stick with my original point that this whole 'keeping the shirt' thing is a bit silly. Look at all the potential problems that could some up with a strict policy such as this -- players potentially losing their starting spot when they go on international duty etc.

Sure, it might make them work harder to impress Carver, but it could just as easily make them resent them too. If this policy sticks around, and we gonna have problems with Jimmy and Sutts playing in the WCQs? I certainly, certainly hope not because we need them on the Canadian squad.

ExiledRed
06-08-2008, 08:38 AM
^^ I think your taking what is a normal part of being a player on a squad, and having to compete for your position, and turning it into something 'unusual'

Carver has stated before, that training and fitness (match readiness) after international games, was a factor in his decision making process. Edwards earned a start last week and lost it in training, to a regular starter.

Why the melodrama?

Draracle
06-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Carver is basing his decision off of practice effort, not game effort. I don't see how any of us can comment on that. My guess is Edwards just laid off during practice while Sutton worked hard. Good choice IMO, as long as Edwards learns and doesn't get his back up. Carver's track record with moody players suggests the former.

bhoybobby
06-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Carver is tuning these guys to get used to being part of a competitive squad & that includes training. He is only doing what top class managers do, keeping his boys motivated.

He want's the to believe that they pick the team with their commitment & effort in games & practices alike.

That's the way it's done at all the top clubs. Way to go JC

Rawkus_420
06-09-2008, 08:16 AM
the title of this thread made me angry....Whats the fucking pont of criticizing the head coach whos led us to our best season in franchise history. Fuck some ppl are never happy.

pat416
06-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Carter is doing great imo. Yes i think Sutton is the mvp this year so far and i just cant wait to see who we bring to the temain the next few weeks!

Pachuco
06-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Although I like Carver. I think he needs to take some responsibility for yesterday's loss. Personally some of the moves he made yesterday shocked me. Taking off Velez for Marshall, instead of James. Taking out Ricketts so quick. Benching Robert in the first half?

Ossington Mental Youth
06-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Although I like Carver. I think he needs to take some responsibility for yesterday's loss. Personally some of the moves he made yesterday shocked me. Taking off Velez for Marshall, instead of James. Taking out Ricketts so quick. Benching Robert in the first half?

Agreed 100%, I do however think he is smart enough to not to that again.
Those are the kind of lineups/subs id expect to see from Mo.
God that game was garbage.

Limani_Ole
06-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Carver took a left turn somewhere for me..

For Sutton to loose his spot because he played for his country is BULLSHIT no matter where in the world you play.. and lets face it.. Sutton is in his prime and playing well for TFC.. Edwards is a rookie and hasn't shown anything to deserve the #1 over Sutton.

second - why sit Robert? arguably our best player available.. then you sub him in at the half, acknowledging you mistake in not starting him..
third - why did Marshall loose his spot? was it because of his international absence? then Velez got beaten by DeRo and got the yank in the second.. we all know Velez has done worse and never got the subbed off.. so why do it now? what will that do for his confidence since they have been building it all season long..?

and Ricketts was playing well and was taken out....

in both the above cases Carver went against his policy of starting his best 11, for his 'do not change a winning team' policy..

confusing.. lets hope he knows what he is doing..

Jack
06-09-2008, 11:00 AM
My post from the other thread also applies here.

It was one game. Fucking relax.

Before this, Carver hasn't put a foot wrong. When brought in, Marshall was utter shite, so I don't know what the benefit would have been of having him from the start. Dichio could hardly move out there due to his injury. The only thing I would have done is put Robert in ahead of Dunny, and that could well be a discipline issue due to the red card and Carver wanting Laurent to know he'd better keep in line.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Carver took a left turn somewhere for me..

For Sutton to loose his spot because he played for his country is BULLSHIT no matter where in the world you play.. and lets face it.. Sutton is in his prime and playing well for TFC.. Edwards is a rookie and hasn't shown anything to deserve the #1 over Sutton.

second - why sit Robert? arguably our best player available.. then you sub him in at the half, acknowledging you mistake in not starting him..
third - why did Marshall loose his spot? was it because of his international absence? then Velez got beaten by DeRo and got the yank in the second.. we all know Velez has done worse and never got the subbed off.. so why do it now? what will that do for his confidence since they have been building it all season long..?

and Ricketts was playing well and was taken out....

in both the above cases Carver went against his policy of starting his best 11, for his 'do not change a winning team' policy..

confusing.. lets hope he knows what he is doing..

He does, i think he used those line ups either because a) he felt they were capable of playing the way they did last week regularly or b) he wanted to see if they were capable. Either way i would assume that you will not see that type of line up again unless its absolutely necessary.

James17930
06-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Not saying we would have won the game otherwise, but Carver definitely blew it with his line-up today. It's like throwing away a whole game just to use it as an excuse to drop a policy he realized in hind-sight wouldn't work.

I'm not out for blood with him -- I fully respect what he's done so far and how he's transformed this club in such a short span of time. However, I think it's fairly obvious that he's running into trouble with this policy (or, really, two conflicting policies) of his and he's probably going to have to rethink it.

PureTFC
06-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Omg, Omg, Omg.... Sky is falling after 2 days.............

ExiledRed
06-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Not saying we would have won the game otherwise, but Carver definitely blew it with his line-up today. It's like throwing away a whole game just to use it as an excuse to drop a policy he realized in hind-sight wouldn't work.

I'm not out for blood with him -- I fully respect what he's done so far and how he's transformed this club in such a short span of time. However, I think it's fairly obvious that he's running into trouble with this policy (or, really, two conflicting policies) of his and he's probably going to have to rethink it.

I think your analysing the situation WAY too much.
Carvers policies, like any other gaffer's are not set in stone, and if they were, he'd be limiting his options too much.

If Robert had started yesterday, he would have been out of gas at the half. Better to bring a strong player on when both teams are out of steam, to reinvigorate yours and to run rings around theirs.

I dont think Velez came off for tactical reasons, and Marshall was obviously fatigued from his international duty.

The line up failed, if it hadnt, Carver would be a genius who outsmarted the champions.

To imagine that carver is basing all of his decisions on one of his favoured policies is absurd.

Limani_Ole
06-10-2008, 07:59 AM
I think your analysing the situation WAY too much.
Carvers policies, like any other gaffer's are not set in stone, and if they were, he'd be limiting his options too much.

If Robert had started yesterday, he would have been out of gas at the half. Better to bring a strong player on when both teams are out of steam, to reinvigorate yours and to run rings around theirs.

I dont think Velez came off for tactical reasons, and Marshall was obviously fatigued from his international duty.

The line up failed, if it hadnt, Carver would be a genius who outsmarted the champions.

To imagine that carver is basing all of his decisions on one of his favoured policies is absurd.

Well how else could you explain why Robert was sitting on the bench with Marshall? Why would Robert be gased out if he started? The reason we were got tired is we never held possession of the ball.. we gave it away so easily in the midfield and spent the entire game chasing it.. this is where you need Robert to hold the ball and distribute it.. let Houston do the running.. and by Carver's subs he acknowledged just that...

no one here is saying Carver is a bad coach by any means.. he is a great coach.. but he obviously bit his tounge on this occassion..