PDA

View Full Version : How MLS rookies live

DangerRed
08-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Via MLSR comes this video from the New York Red Bulls about how a pair of their rookies live. It's hardly a mansion -- but it does have a ping-pong table:

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/08/video-red-bull-new-york-rookie-cribs.html

Carts
08-21-2009, 11:57 AM
In the "Beckham Experiment" book it goes into the lives of some of the Galaxy rookies... its interesting because of the difference in some of the salaries in the league, but very interesting...

Some rookies live like they're still in College - 3 to a house, posters, pizza & Xbox...

Some are trying to take the step away from the "college style life" and settle down into a more mature liefstyle...

This'll happen in a league were a player on a team is making 900,000 (Donovan) and a few rookies are making under $20,000... (I left Beckham out of that - he's a different story)...

Carts...

prizby
08-21-2009, 12:04 PM
lol that was a great video

please post when part 2 goes up

CretanBull
08-21-2009, 12:10 PM
I bet the broke-ass rookies fight over who gets to live with one of the 'rich' Generation Adidas rookies...

rocker
08-21-2009, 12:48 PM
one thing I've noticed.... TFC doesn't really go cheap for the rookies the way that American teams (see: Revs) do.

Cronin's getting 84K, Frei = 120K... Even Edwards started at 48K, which is OK. You can rent a new 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom condo on Fleet street for $1350 a month. that's easily affordable for even Edwards.

Even the Gambians' relatively low pay turns out to be comfortable because they live with Cummins.

TFC_Junky
08-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Even the Gambians' relatively low pay turns out to be comfortable because they live with Cummins.

REALLY?!?!?! Can you confirm that, that sounds strange to me...

mmmikey
08-21-2009, 01:59 PM
"make your bed everyday or u don't start on saturday."

TFC_Junky
08-21-2009, 02:15 PM

LMFAO!!!! I just burst out laughing at work... Hilarious!!!

Parkdale
08-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Even Edwards started at 48K, which is OK. You can rent a new 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom condo on Fleet street for $1350 a month. that's easily affordable for even Edwards.

and just wait until 'Maple Leaf Tower' is built.
I'm sure the league will have a few spaces available to 'sweeten the deal'
when it comes to contracts and pricing. They pay them under the cap,
but get to live for free? That might lure some great young talent here.

rocker
08-21-2009, 02:23 PM

your wish is my command.. at the bottom of this story.....

He and Sanyang live with assistant coach Chris Cummins.

http://tfcnews.ca/category/emmanuel-gomez/

rocker
08-21-2009, 02:25 PM
oh, and I forgot -- Nana gets good coin from the government too in addition to his 34K salary. He gets 14.4K... so he's making 48K. not bad at 20 years old. I still have never made 48K in a year and I'm 33.

Inklink
08-21-2009, 04:50 PM

If that's strange, this is stranger:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09009/940480-125.stm

Back on topic,

Toronto Marlies players live in better dwellings than those NYRB kids. Oh well, it looks like a decent place nonetheless.

Dirk Diggler
08-21-2009, 04:51 PM
People are making a big deal out of this. Certainly no kid in the MLS is living in poverty. If you compare them with a lot of players in the CFL, they are infinitely better off. I know of a couple of people who play in the CFL who have 2 different part time jobs in the off-season. Considering the amount of attention the league gets in this country (outside of Toronto I suppose) and how popular football is in Canada, that truly is a pity.

SilverSamurai
08-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Isn't their some kind of regulation saying what kind of "help" teams can give players?
Don't get me wrong I don't see why teams shouldn't be able to give the players a place to live, especially when having such a low cap.

Dirk Diggler
08-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Isn't their some kind of regulation saying what kind of "help" teams can give players?
Don't get me wrong I don't see why teams shouldn't be able to give the players a place to live, especially when having such a low cap.

Yeah ... I don't think the MLSE will be able to house their players in the building ... not that they would want to anyone considering how much money they can make by putting it out on the market as opposed to giving it away for free.

TorCanSoc
08-21-2009, 06:53 PM

:puke:Spit take! I spit out my coffee, and shot out my nose! ahahahaahah. Too funny. I can't imagine this is a permanent situation, new recruits need the guidance for sure. But I would highly doubt it is a long term arrangement.

That NYRB rookie video was totally welfare man. Maybe I'm old but those look like college dorm'ish living arrangements.

Cannon
08-21-2009, 11:13 PM
:puke:Spit take! I spit out my coffee, and shot out my nose! ahahahaahah. Too funny. I can't imagine this is a permanent situation, new recruits need the guidance for sure. But I would highly doubt it is a long term arrangement.

That NYRB rookie video was totally welfare man. Maybe I'm old but those look like college dorm'ish living arrangements.

They have a ping-pong table instead of a dining room table. If that's not college dorm'ish I don't know what is! :D

ExiledRed
08-22-2009, 10:05 AM

I think Paul has already mentioned that this type of 'hidden bonus' or payment with things other than money, is strictly against league rules and just doesn't happen.

Carts
08-22-2009, 12:20 PM

Happens in all sports... Sidney Crosby lived in Mario Lemieux's basement for 18-months, until the pool house was renovated - he lives there now...

Whats worse, living with the coach, or the owner...?

On one hand, you could hear "...you played like shit today, you're not starting next game..." at home from the coach...

On the other hand, you could hear "...you played like shit today, you're not getting your pay cheque!..." LOL

Carts...