PDA

View Full Version : The other football in the U.S. (soccer) still struggling to gain a wide audience -TDG

BayernTFC
08-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Here's another good read for those interested:

http://www.tauntongazette.com/state_news/x2145964715/The-other-football-in-the-U-S-soccer-still-struggling-to-gain-a-wide-audience

When the United States national soccer team upset Spain in the Confederations Cup earlier this summer, it piqued the interest of a number of non-soccer fans here in the U.S. Granted the U.S. men didn’t win the World Cup or Olympic gold medal, but they pulled off an amazing feat, snapping Spain’s winning streak, the second longest unbeaten stretch up to that point. The win put the U.S. National Team into its first-ever FIFA championship match. But after losing to Brazil, interest in soccer once again began to decline.

The only time the U.S. men’s and women’s national teams draw significant attention is when they pull off upsets, reach tournament finals or win Olympic medals. But the buzz wears off shortly thereafter.

But the Beckham Effect didn’t last too long. He saw limited time in 2007 due to injury, and TV ratings and attendance rates actually declined during his second MLS season, even falling lower than they were the year before Beckham arrived to play in MLS.
“I honestly don’t think soccer will ever get to the level of popularity of (American) football, basketball or baseball. I do think soccer has a place within the American sports landscape, probably somewhere just above hockey at best. I think as this generation grows up with easy access to the game and a greater knowledge of the game, as a result of playing and/or watching the sport, it could only help having the average sportswriter and sports fan of the future being a bit more educated on the sport.”
“I just think that it’s played right from when a kid can walk. It’s in their genes,” Horton said. “They want to play football. In America, you’ve got so many sports. It’s everybody’s dream in England to be a footballer. There are 92 football league clubs, and then there’s non-league clubs. Then you’ve got your school football and Sunday morning football, junior football. It’s just absolutely huge.”

SoccMan
08-20-2009, 07:47 PM
What's your point, your showing me something I have known for years my friend. I was born and raised here in Canada and since I can remember I have been following soccer since I could walk. My dad would take me to see the Toronto Metros of the old North American Soccer League back in the early seventies, the North American Soccer League was the top pro league in North America until it folded after the 1984 season. Yes soccer has come a long way since then,however, it is what it is lets just be happy we have a decent league here in North America we can follow. It will never be bigger then the NFL, MLB, or NBA but I don't care all I care about is that this leagues is around for a long time. Lets accept that fact that pro soccer will never be bigger then the other leagues in North America and lets just enjoy soccer and the MLS for what it is and we might be all a bit more happier.

Pigfynn
08-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Never say never.

People who typically love hockey, football and baseball are having less and less children while people who love soccer (usually immigrants from other soccer loving countries) are having more children...after awhile(20-30yrs) what do you have?

greatwhitenorf
08-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Pro soccer in N. America has gone through several birth-death-rebirth cycles and the one constant element has been that it returns each time just a little bit stronger. Despite some serious competition, on and off the playing fields, it's the sport they just can't kill.

For the first time ever, MLS looks to have established the North American foothold that won't slip, especially with the advent of soccer-specific stadiums being built to properly showcase the game.

The really interesting thing about soccer, over most other NAmerican sports, is that the game's global presence exerts a never-ending push upward. The best and brightest players are now readily available to watch via specialty TV channels or the internet to curious NAmerican viewers. That's begun to further inspire young players to have realistic ambitions about playing the game professionally.

MLS might not look as appealing a league to play in to many top European players, who will easily earn more over there. But the league looks very appealing to many south and central Americans, Africans or other regions who covet a chance to migrate to a nation where improved standards of living, let alone more professional income, are incentive to head north. The constant addition of their skills and instincts continues the constant process of upgrading the MLS standard. Their presence immediately adds to the league's appeal in their home countries.

There's a lot of fearful people running other sports looking at how American demographics are changing and seeing the entrenchment and growth of soccer. Their response is to use what influence remains to have negative remarks made about soccer in the vain hope of delaying or disrupting the game's progress. Which is why the Jim Romes and Bob McClowns of this world are so amusing.

It's too late. It's here. It's staying.

Pookie
08-21-2009, 09:21 AM
The one fact you can't ignore is that in both the US and Canada, soccer participation is growing and it is amongst the most popular sports. In Canada, more play soccer than hockey.

These kids will eventually become consumers if they aren't already. They will gravitate towards sports they can relate to. That will influence television and merchandising.

The MLS is a business just like any other. Part of the sell right now is to be a part of a growth cycle and be established and market to this audience when they are of "spending" ages.

For that reason, I think soccer will grow while other sports will decline.

Anyways, this article offers a counterpoint to the one you found:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203609204574317122524606410.html

When it comes to sports, one of the stubbornest examples of American exceptionalism is the use of the word “soccer.” Some six billion people around the world have chosen to call it “football.” We don’t care.

But in recent months, this sport—the one with the ball and the net—has taken a few steps forward...

Those signs of strength, combined with one of youth sports’ highest participation rates, have even the game’s staunchest traditionalists believing that much-hyped, always just-around-the-corner U.S. soccer boom may finally be upon us...

Robin
08-21-2009, 09:36 AM
I don't want soccer to be as big as baseball, basketball, hockey or the NFL. Television and the power of advertising have totally corrupted most of the other big leagues. Look at how Gary Bettman has wrecked the NHL with his 'southern strategy' -- all in pursuit of an elusive U.S. network deal and advertising contracts. Look how TV has slowed down other pro games with its endless time-outs for advertising. Be carefull what you wish for!!

Fort York Redcoat
08-21-2009, 12:27 PM
I don't want soccer to be as big as baseball, basketball, hockey or the NFL. Television and the power of advertising have totally corrupted most of the other big leagues. Look at how Gary Bettman has wrecked the NHL with his 'southern strategy' -- all in pursuit of an elusive U.S. network deal and advertising contracts. Look how TV has slowed down other pro games with its endless time-outs for advertising. Be carefull what you wish for!!

Utterly Ridiculous. You want to stilfle the league so it remains pure? I think it's past that point already and to expect the league to improve (you do want that at least, don't you?) they will need better exposure on our own continent.

Whoop
08-21-2009, 12:39 PM
By the way, soccer registrations in Canada have been higher than hockey registrations for the last decade. That's nothing new. Also keep in mind soccer and hockey registrations include adult leagues.

Problem is that there is no infrastructure for youths involved in soccer to grow and evolve. Once they get to their teens or later teens there is no mechanism to keep them in the game.

That's why people have always stressed the importance of a domestic league in Canada. Hockey has that. The MLS is important as well because at least it gives young people something to strive for. In the US there is MLB, NBA and NFL and they all have their feeder leagues all the way down to 8-9 year olds. Again, the MLS is a start it will take time.

In Canada once the grassroot levels of the sport get better, that is only when the numbers will get better in terms of popularity.

Until then it's still tough sledding. I mean, to be honest, I've been hearing about a soccer boom, especially in the US since '94. That's 15 years.

It might take another 20-30 years. The one thing that could really speed it up is if the US wins the World Cup next year.

rocker
08-21-2009, 12:41 PM
NBA and NHL were weak in the sporting landscape in America 40 years ago... now they are multi-billion dollar businesses.

if you had gone back to talk to Americans then and asked then the future of basketball and hockey in 40 years nobody would have said they'd be as big as they are now.

So it's kinda funny when people make these projections... 30-40 years is a long time.

And if MLS gets slightly above the NHL in American consciousness (as the person in the article posted projects at most), that's be awesome! Then MLS would be a 2.5 billion dollar operation and each team would probably have 40-80 million to spend on players.

Whoop
08-21-2009, 12:42 PM
^^
That's my point it's going to take a minimum 20-30 years.

Yet everyone expects it to happen tomorrow.

Cashcleaner
08-21-2009, 12:44 PM

I think I sorta agree with you. I know exactly what your saying in that, once soccer gets the sort of mainstream exposure that basketball or baseball gets, it's likely to change from the simpler game as we know it to something more...well I don't really know how to say it.

Just look at the history we have of sports on the continent. Back in the day, ice hockey was often played in two halves. As it developed and became more professional, clubs played 3 periods. Now we're at a point at a professional level where play is stopped every five or ten minutes for a word from our sponsors. That same can be said about most other North American sports now where play is interrupted for the benefit of the broadcast audience.

Now obviously I know that in order for the sport to prosper here in the Canada and the United States there has to be some sort of give-or-take. It's just that I hope we don't give away too much for the sake of exposure and financial success.

Pookie
08-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Problem is that there is no infrastructure for youths involved in soccer to grow and evolve. Once they get to their teens or later teens there is no mechanism to keep them in the game.

I agree completely.

I also don't see associations doing a great job of highlighting what opportunities are available to younger players.

Hockey Canada is extremely well organized. If you want a breakdown between AAA and AA, you'll find it. You'll find resources on NCAA recruiting or the CHL process... and the pitfalls of choosing one route over another.

There are countless examples of players that have made it to the big leagues or even semi-pro leagues. Players and parents know their options.

If you have a talented 12 year old in soccer... what path do you choose?

Whoop
08-21-2009, 12:49 PM
^^
That's why parents, usually of European descent, have talented kids will send their children to Europe to develop further and then Canada loses out on the services of said players for the men's national team.

Usually it's only boys that go over. Girls tend to play right through until if they are lucky and get NCAA scholarships. That's not the best route, per se, for boys.

ilikemusic
08-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Woah woah woah!

Are you telling me Americans are front runner who only care about soccer when their MNT is having a succesful tournament?

No way!

London
08-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Well a big blow was dealt to american soccer fans today as world soccer daily has decided to shut down there daily 2 hour show, as one of the hosts has been threatened time and time again for something he said about liverpool.
I guess last night the people that have been threatening him have now started to threaten his family and friend so he says enough is enough and today is the last broadcast.
Whatever his comments were,right or wrong, no one should threaten someones family over a comment.
Sad day for soccer in North America

SilverSamurai
08-21-2009, 02:08 PM
^^
That's why parents, usually of European descent, have talented kids will send their children to Europe to develop further and then Canada loses out on the services of said players for the men's national team.

Usually it's only boys that go over. Girls tend to play right through until if they are lucky and get NCAA scholarships. That's not the best route, per se, for boys.
Thinking out loud here, but do parents send their kids to any Spanish speaking countries? (Mexico, Argentina, etc) Hmm...

Also w/ MLS in Canada now, it'll give some kids an option to develop and stay in Canada and not have to go overseas. Although Europe is the big time.

Fort York Redcoat
08-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Well a big blow was dealt to american soccer fans today as world soccer daily has decided to shut down there daily 2 hour show, as one of the hosts has been threatened time and time again for something he said about liverpool.
I guess last night the people that have been threatening him have now started to threaten his family and friend so he says enough is enough and today is the last broadcast.
Whatever his comments were,right or wrong, no one should threaten someones family over a comment.
Sad day for soccer in North America

Son of a bitch. This deserves its own thread. That show has done more than most to spread the word about the game we love. This is a god damn travesty.

I've listened to WSD for 5 years and this is the death of the only daily radio show for footie in NA.

I remember the first threats and now this...Shameful.

Thanks Steven and Kenny, Howard and Nick.

BayernTFC
08-23-2009, 12:19 AM
There were lots of empty seats in LA at the TFC vs. Chivas game tonight. Overall attendance is down in MLS for 2009 and Television viewership is on the decline. Tripp Mickle reports:

Unprecedented interest in David Beckham boosted MLS average attendance and ratings in 2007 and 2008, but the league gave up most of those increases during the first half of this season.

The league’s average attendance dropped 5.6 percent to 15,435 per game through July 12 as eight of MLS’s 15 franchises suffered double-digit attendance declines. FC Dallas (-32.9 percent), the San Jose Earthquake (-30.2 percent), D.C. United (-28.8 percent), Los Angeles Galaxy (-24.4 percent) and Chicago Fire (-22.2 percent) led the way as a combination of a sluggish economy and local market issues triggered substantial attendance declines.
http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/63054

and here are some more recent numbers:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg123/bayernfan/2009MLSAttendanceFigures.jpg

http://www.mls-daily.com/search/label/2009%20attendance

Tripp Mickle also reported about the troubling decline in MLS attendance and television ratings here in 2008:

The league’s mixed results at the gate were mirrored in its performance on TV. MLS games on ESPN2 averaged a 0.2 cable rating for the third consecutive year, but total average viewers per game fell to 253,000 — down from 289,000 viewers in 2007 and 263,000 in 2006.

ESPN also began simulcasting games on ESPN Deportes this year, which attracted an average of 40,000 viewers per broadcast.

On Fox Soccer Channel, which just began getting ratings in October, MLS averaged a 0.1 cable rating and 30,000 viewers over four games. The last game of the season on the network between the Dynamo and Chivas USA delivered a 0.0 cable rating and 24,000 viewers.
http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/60481

In 2008 Kartik Krishnaiyer was also very concerned and showed a marked decline in television viewership since 1998:

According to the latest issue of the Sports Business Journal published by Street and Smith’s (now the parent company of the Sporting News incidentally) MLS TV ratings are about as bad as can be imagined. ESPN2’s Thursday night rating fell this season and the telecasts averaged a 0.2 rating and was watched in an average of 251,000 homes weekly. ESPN 2 has achieved higher average ratings in prime time for such sports as Poker and Bowling in the last year. However, those sports have limited upside potential when compared with Football. But Football in the US fans clearly aren’t enamored with MLS: US National Team telecasts on ESPN and ESPN have averaged a 0.6 rating this year and the Euros averaged a 0.8 on the networks. The lack of viewership on ESPN 2 is a major concern as the network has invested a rights fee in the league for the first time. Despite the signing of David Beckham, MLS averaged less viewers in 2008 on ESPN2 than the league did in 2006 before Beckham was signed and before the new TV deal took affect. But even more worrying is that MLS games averaged according to BNet a 0.5 rating on ESPN and a 0.3 rating on ESPN 2 for the 1998 season. MLS also averaged a 0.9 rating on ABC that season, when the network broadcast 13 regular season games. The lone ABC telecast this season between the league’s two most successful clubs historically, garnered a 1.1 rating as a lead in to the Euro 2008 final which achieved a 3.2 rating. So in essence a smaller percentage of TV viewers nationally are watching MLS in 2008 than did in 1998, despite the league having more of a mainstream media presence and having two more franchises.http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/mls-tv-ratings-worrying/505

Unfortunately things have continued to worsen on the television ratings front in 2009:

The league’s decline at the gate was matched by ratings declines. Through 14 telecasts on ESPN2, MLS games averaged a 0.2 cable rating — flat with last year — and 255,000 viewers, a 13.3 percent decrease from the same period in 2008.

ESPN eliminated “MLS Primetime Thursday” broadcasts this season in hopes of boosting ratings by giving MLS games better lead-in programming and more flexibility to telecast better matchups. Over the first half of the season, it aired games on Wednesday (two games), Thursday (five), Friday (one), Saturday (five) and Sunday (one).

ESPN’s most-viewed MLS broadcast benefited from the network’s new strategy as 550,000 viewers watched the final 38 minutes of the D.C. United-Sounders FC game following an extra-innings college baseball game June 17. The network’s least-viewed was a Columbus Crew-Chicago Fire game that attracted 140,000 viewers on July 11.

ESPN Deportes, which televised 10 of those games, has averaged 45,000 viewers in 2009, a 32 percent increase from 34,000 viewers in 2008. Hispanic household coverage ratings remained flat at 0.3.

Telefutura, which broadcasts games on Sundays, averaged 182,000 households over 13 telecasts, a 37 percent decrease from 292,000 households over 12 games in 2008. Its highest-rated match was a New York Red Bulls-Chicago Fire game that delivered 291,000 households May 24. Its lowest-rated match was a Red Bulls-United game that drew 74,000 households April 26.

Fox Soccer Channel, which became rated in October 2008, averaged 47,000 viewers and a 0.1 cable rating over 16 telecasts. Its most-viewed broadcast was a Toronto FC-Sounders game that attracted 85,000 viewers April 4. Its least-viewed broadcast was a United-FC Dallas game that drew 18,000 viewers May 2.
http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/63054

Also, The Gaffer recently reported:

In comparison to similar coverage on ESPN2, the network’s previous Thursday night rating for Major League Soccer games fell recently and averaged a 0.2 rating, which was watched in an average of 251,000 homes weekly.http://www.epltalk.com/espn-reveals-tv-ratings-for-epl-debut-of-chelsea-v-hull-city/10210

Cashcleaner
08-23-2009, 12:50 AM
^ Quotes?! Numbers?! Who do you think you are, BayernTFC? Dust2?

Fort York Redcoat
08-23-2009, 11:43 AM
BT, I just hope these are not the numbers the league will point to when the CBA comes up next year.