PDA

View Full Version : Portugal's Reaction to Toronto FC vs Real Madrid

C.Ronaldo
08-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Back from a 2 week vacation in Portugal.

Visited Porto, Lisbon, a bunch of other small towns and Madeira Island (Ronaldoville)

Asking around what people thought of R.M playing TFC warranted an all too common reaction, "Toronto has a soccer team?"

The second most popular reaction was, "how does that league work?" (this one was a bit harder to answer)

Another thing I noticed was that people in Madeira, generally aren't a huge ronaldo fans. They just like the attention he brings to the island.

I visited his CR7 store, (owned/run by his sister) and quickly realised this guy is a marketing machine obviously spun by some genius PR firm.
I have never seen so many ronaldo look a likes in my life, coming from all over the world to visit his store.

Fortunately for all, I did not grab a pair of ronaldo underwear to put on dispaly for you all. It was a ridiculous price.

After watching the game though, Ronaldo seems to be just another soccer sell out who hopefully wont burn out like Maradonna did. but then again, I never had his upbringing and an entourage telling me I'm better than a bag of doritos.

As a result, portugal still hasnt found it's next Eusebio, who by the way was quite happy to play in Toronto.

billyfly
08-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Bring me a trophy CR9 and I'll think about liking you.

Don Julio
08-20-2009, 12:16 PM
I just threw up a little.

boban
08-20-2009, 12:40 PM

Visited Porto, Lisbon, a bunch of other small towns and Madeira Island (Ronaldoville)

Asking around what people thought of R.M playing TFC warranted an all too common reaction, "Toronto has a soccer team?"

The second most popular reaction was, "how does that league work?" (this one was a bit harder to answer)

Another thing I noticed was that people in Madeira, generally aren't a huge ronaldo fans. They just like the attention he brings to the island.

I visited his CR7 store, (owned/run by his sister) and quickly realised this guy is a marketing machine obviously spun by some genius PR firm.
I have never seen so many ronaldo look a likes in my life, coming from all over the world to visit his store.

Fortunately for all, I did not grab a pair of ronaldo underwear to put on dispaly for you all. It was a ridiculous price.

After watching the game though, Ronaldo seems to be just another soccer sell out who hopefully wont burn out like Maradonna did. but then again, I never had his upbringing and an entourage telling me I'm better than a bag of doritos.

As a result, portugal still hasnt found it's next Eusebio, who by the way was quite happy to play in Toronto to play with Toronto Croatia.
Fixed :D

fetajr
08-20-2009, 12:55 PM
welcome back Ronaldo

C.Ronaldo
08-20-2009, 01:03 PM
yes
Toronto Metros-Croatia

Damien
08-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Most people in Canada know squat about the Portuguese league (outside the porkchop community, even some of them know nuthin about it) so we're even.

Flipityflu
08-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Portugal has a league?

Corcai
08-20-2009, 02:41 PM
I thought Portugal was a province of Spain

billyfly
08-20-2009, 02:47 PM

Some of us wish we were. We need the money.

TFC07
08-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Asking around what people thought of R.M playing TFC warranted an all too common reaction, "Toronto has a soccer team?"Didn't Benfica play against Toronto couple of years ago? lol

C.Ronaldo
08-20-2009, 02:59 PM
They did, but no one seemed to care about that one.

R.M probably cemented it.

C.Ronaldo
08-20-2009, 03:04 PM
^^^
sadly, the continent was looking pretty bad, grafitti everywhere and more hash dealers than cops were to be seen.

Porto was a dark hole.
Lisbon was beautiful but with shady pockets
Aveiro and Sintra were gorgieous, but purely tourist zones.
Public transit was fantastic, which I have no idea where they got the money for it from.

Madeira on the other hand seemed like paradise compared to the rest. The entire island was spotless and shiny. But it is beyond me how any one can afford to buy an apartment or house there on their salaries. (but 22 day min. vacation law sounded fan-freakn-tastic.)

billyfly
08-20-2009, 03:10 PM
^^^
sadly, the continent was looking pretty bad, grafitti everywhere and more hash dealers than cops were to be seen.

Porto was a dark hole.
Public transit was fantastic, which I have no idea where they got the money for it from.

Madeira on the other hand seemed like paradise compared to the rest. The entire island was spotless and shiny. But it is beyond me how any one can afford to buy an apartment or house there on their salaries. (but 22 day min. vacation law sounded fan-freakn-tastic.)

When I was there last year I was taken aback and how beautiful that city could be but how dirty (and slightly scary) it was.

C.Ronaldo
08-20-2009, 03:14 PM
When I was there last year I was taken aback and how beautiful that city could be but how dirty (and slightly scary) it was.

exactly how i felt

within 4 minutes i was offered hash, and on the way out at 7am one guy wouldnt leave me alone begging for money for 5 minutes.

I inched towards the cabs area, as i could tell the situation was not going to get prettier as there was no one else on the streets that early. ( i had let my guard down thinking at 7am none of the "creepers" would be out, silly me)

Pookie
08-20-2009, 04:04 PM
^^^
sadly, the continent was looking pretty bad... more hash dealers than cops were to be seen.

...Public transit was fantastic, which I have no idea where they got the money for it from.... But it is beyond me how any one can afford to buy an apartment or house there on their salaries.

I'm going to suggest a correlation

joel
08-20-2009, 04:18 PM
It's just like any major team that plays pre-season friendlies, no one has any clue who the opponents are.

Man Utd played a bunch of Chinese and Korean teams, I don't know, or care who they are either.

prizby
08-20-2009, 06:00 PM
do they think he's a diving little girl too?

nancymiranda
08-20-2009, 06:18 PM

As a result, portugal still hasnt found it's next Eusebio, who by the way was quite happy to play in Toronto.

Much to my suprise I was in Sao Miguel, Azores and the same sentiments there. They people of the island thought he was way too showy and into him self. I was there 3 years ago and there was a commerical constantly on TV about a cheeze wheel named after him. Man, people just made fun of him and the cheeze! People can be rough - especially when its their own peeps! Leaving in a week to go back... wonder if its changed any!

Dirk Diggler
08-20-2009, 06:21 PM
^^^

Porto was a dark hole.

The benefits of being in the European Union.

kodiakTFC
08-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Borussia Dortmund lost 5-0 to Real Madrid. Simple math shows we are better than them.

boban
08-20-2009, 06:30 PM
^^^

Porto was a dark hole.

You speak in the past tense.
How are those places now?

nancymiranda
08-20-2009, 06:33 PM
My uncle came back rom Maderia and said it was beautiful!!! Said it was really clean, nice, etc.
Sao Miguel is that way too. Really cleaned up due to all the tourists from Germany, England, Switzerland, etc.
They've experienced drug and volience problems in the past, but its getting worse because the cops aren't armed, and criminals know they can get away with it.

SoccMan
08-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Go anywhere in our world class city of Toronto and you will get people with their hands out asking for money I guess this is a world wide problem no matter where you go.

s2cazz
08-20-2009, 07:48 PM
do they think he's a diving little girl too?

you forgot crybaby

red_polka_dots
08-20-2009, 08:36 PM
you forgot crybaby

good one, yup...oh, i got one...you forgot best player in the world and...his dribbling make some have seizures...your turn

Canada72
08-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Litte off topic - See the Portugese league table? Every game but one was a tie on the weekend so Braga has 3 points, Academica 0 points and every other team 1 point. :) :)

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-20-2009, 08:49 PM

why do we care if people know of TFC or not? WTF why!! Its not like the portugal league is one of the best either, more in line with the scottish premier league if nothing..are we now to diss portugal football? Portugal and Benfica and Sporting and the rest..the gilligans island of the football world..Canadian football fans have got to stop worrying about what other countries think of TFC, MLS cause their opinions dont mean jack shit.
Ronaldo..what can you say a fantastic player who will never win the world cup.

torontocelt
08-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Ronaldo..what can you say a fantastic player who will never win the world cup.

Portugal have a great international side and Ronaldo is young. Portugal have some really good players and a strong squad and with a little bit of luck they could win the world cup one year whilst Ronaldo is still around. Who would have thought an average Greek team would win the Euro's?

AL-MO
08-20-2009, 09:29 PM
why do we care if people know of TFC or not?

Why do the rest of the board care about your latest useless poll? :rolleyes:

prizby
08-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Why do the rest of the board care about your latest useless poll? :rolleyes:

pawned

C.Ronaldo
08-21-2009, 08:11 AM
one cares because to be world calss you need to be world known.

if an avergae teen/child in europe has family in Toronto, he might be inclined to join our academy if he's seen the team play (especially if he knows TFC plays giant teams who also scout during these friendlies).

right now we send alot of young players to europe (often to live with family) only to develop b/c their academies are from well known teams. One day we might see it reversed.

some of you guys knock the Portuguese league, but its scouting is unbelievable. its like the expos of europe. And they aren't working with a huge population to draw from either.

The greater porto area only has 1.6 mill people. (that doesn't leave much for advertising dollars, especially when the rest of the country are sporting or benfica fans)
Winning the champions league when other teams had salaries that could run the entire country of Portugal was a major accomplishment.

torontocelt
08-21-2009, 08:59 AM

if an avergae teen/child in europe has family in Toronto, he might be inclined to join our academy if he's seen the team play (especially if he knows TFC plays giant teams who also scout during these friendlies).

right now we send alot of young players to europe (often to live with family) only to develop b/c their academies are from well known teams. One day we might see it reversed.

some of you guys knock the Portuguese league, but its scouting is unbelievable. its like the expos of europe. And they aren't working with a huge population to draw from either.

The greater porto area only has 1.6 mill people. (that doesn't leave much for advertising dollars, especially when the rest of the country are sporting or benfica fans)
Winning the champions league when other teams had salaries that could run the entire country of Portugal was a major accomplishment.

Have to agree here about that Porto team, that was amazing. They did have an excellent manager in Jose though but to win the uefa cup and the following year the champions league was an outstanding accomplishment. It does have to be said though that they had a fair chunk of luck along the way but none the less any team that manages to do what they done deserve all the accolades they get. They also had some great players and i like the fact that they played as a unit defending in numbers but they also had the cutting edge up front. I still dislike them for Saville though, especially Baia!

joel
08-21-2009, 09:33 AM

We're not world class, and won't be for a loooooong time, so that's why people are saying 'who cares' right now.

Gixmo
08-22-2009, 06:00 PM
^^^

Porto was a dark hole.

Good to know, My fiancee is from Madeira (By the base) and she plans to take me 'home' this year.. I figured it's best I did not get off the plane in my home England kit, so the TFC red will have to do.

I've heard the mainland is trash, but the islands are beautiful. I'm somewhat stoked to go there someday, just dont tell her that :)

T.O TILL I DIE
08-23-2009, 12:43 AM
does portugal no he dives like he thinks hes playin in a pool

tfc007
08-23-2009, 07:58 AM
What a useless poll,must be bored out of your mind!

Whoop
08-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Good to know, My fiancee is from Madeira (By the base) and she plans to take me 'home' this year.. I figured it's best I did not get off the plane in my home England kit, so the TFC red will have to do.

I've heard the mainland is trash, but the islands are beautiful. I'm somewhat stoked to go there someday, just dont tell her that :)

Outside of Portugal there is a big Islands (Azores/Madeira) vs. Mainland (Continente) thing. Islanders think mainlanders are stuck up. Mainlanders think the islanders are dense/slow. But, in Canada, when talking about the islanders usually most are referring to the Azores as not many have problems with people from Madeira.

The mainland has it's good and bad pockets. I have never had any problems in the mainland. I know Lisbon got rid of its favelas not too long ago, just before Euro 2004.

Algarve is really the place to go on the mainland.

CretanBull
08-23-2009, 08:36 AM
We'll never be 'world class' as long as we play in the league that doesn't follow FIFA scheduling and has a 2.3 million salary cap.

Gixmo
08-23-2009, 05:49 PM
I actually stand correct - My fiancee is from Terceira

I asked her last night what comes to mind first when she thinks mainland, and she said 'hash.. Everywhere someone's trying to sell it..."

Crazy

Juanito
08-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Some of us wish we were. We need the money.

You could petition it, and once upon a time, we were brothers, but someone on the Portuguese side decided it would be cool to be independent ... I guess thems the brakes!!

Juanito
08-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Portugal have a great international side and Ronaldo is young. Portugal have some really good players and a strong squad and with a little bit of luck they could win the world cup one year whilst Ronaldo is still around. Who would have thought an average Greek team would win the Euro's?

Fuck man! If Spain can win the Euros (and I thought I'd NEVER see it in my lifetime), there's no reason Portugal can't!!!

Whoop
08-23-2009, 08:23 PM
I actually stand correct - My fiancee is from Terceira

I asked her last night what comes to mind first when she thinks mainland, and she said 'hash.. Everywhere someone's trying to sell it..."

Crazy

Tell her that Acoreanos are "Portugal's newfies"... LOL

Juanito
08-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Outside of Portugal there is a big Islands (Azores/Madeira) vs. Mainland (Continente) thing. Islanders think mainlanders are stuck up. Mainlanders think the islanders are dense/slow. But, in Canada, when talking about the islanders usually most are referring to the Azores as not many have problems with people from Madeira.

The mainland has it's good and bad pockets. I have never had any problems in the mainland. I know Lisbon got rid of its favelas not too long ago, just before Euro 2004.

Algarve is really the place to go on the mainland.

My wife's godparents have a "cottage" in the Algarve and they tell me how amazing it is there. I can't wait to go ... although I have heard FOR YEARS this "rivalry" between the mainlanders and the "curriscos" (I believe that how you spell it) ... the riff raff from the Islands.

Juanito
08-23-2009, 08:27 PM

I say that about Galicia ... Spain's newfies ... but NEVER tell my wife that!!!

Whoop
08-23-2009, 08:36 PM
^^
LOL

I am fortunate as my parents have a place in Algarve.

This is the view, just around the corner of my parent's place.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/maconwhoopee/algarve.jpg

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-23-2009, 08:41 PM

Yes they do have a good Int'l side,but they best portugal can hope for is the QF at the World Cup...The 2010 winner will come from, Brazil,Germany,Argentina,Spain,or Holland...bets on brazil:} and with the WC in 2014 In brazil it could be a brazilian back to back championship.

Juanito
08-23-2009, 08:53 PM
The problem with World Cup is that it's pretty predictable. Brazil are always a contender, and really ... I LOVE Spain, but squads like Spain and Holland, who have never won, don't have the experience to finesse their way through a World Cup. That's why Italy and Brazil are the best two squads on the planet ... they age like fine wine .... they get better as the tournament progresses!!

Juanito
08-23-2009, 08:56 PM
^^
LOL

I am fortunate as my parents have a place in Algarve.

This is the view, just around the corner of my parent's place.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/maconwhoopee/algarve.jpg

Jealous man ....

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v75/182/74/510138872/n510138872_34208_3634.jpg

This is the view from the in-laws home in Galicia (I think you guys in the "south" call it Galiza)

Whoopee ... you're making me cry!! I want to go back!!

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-23-2009, 09:02 PM
The problem with World Cup is that it's pretty predictable. Brazil are always a contender, and really ... I LOVE Spain, but squads like Spain and Holland, who have never won, don't have the experience to finesse their way through a World Cup. That's why Italy and Brazil are the best two squads on the planet ... they age like fine wine .... they get better as the tournament progresses!!

Spain is my dark horse IF they can avoid Brazil till the final...Italy wont defend i expect an early exit for the defending champs. would it be good for the world Cup if a non previous winner would win yes, Holland v
America? as unlikely as that is...would create interest.

Whoop
08-23-2009, 09:02 PM
I'm more partial to Andalusia myself.

ExiledRed
08-23-2009, 09:36 PM
america winning the world cup would be the best thing to happen to english football since 1966.

The funding at grass roots level, the lack of decent youth programs and sparse governmental support (that has been the major complaint of english managers since I was old enough to hear one wittering away on the bbc) would suddenly magically appear.

It might even affect Canadian attitudes, but I doubt it.

Gixmo
08-23-2009, 09:40 PM

She says : Algarve... Predictable :)

lol!

Whoop
08-23-2009, 09:46 PM
LOL

I haven't been offered hash the last three times I've been to Portugal. Even in club districts... so I don't know where your fiancee has been hanging out...LOL

Gixmo
08-23-2009, 09:54 PM
It's been a couple years since she was back herself, but was pretty pointed that it was everywhere and could be found. I believe the last time she went primarily was on the mainland in Porto.

I guess I will see next year!

Whoop
08-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Maybe given the descriptions I've heard of Porto lately... sounds like it's been hit pretty hard.

I usually hang around Lisbon and southern Portugal even though my parents are from the north. I'm not a big fan of the north. If items are needed I know who to ask for stuff. LOL Maybe that's why I'm not approached. LOL

Either way... have fun.

Marco2K
08-26-2009, 07:31 AM
Just got back from Terceira last night. Beer and bullfights

Menelaos
08-26-2009, 07:35 AM

Now that was f***ing funny!!!

Marco2K
08-26-2009, 12:09 PM
How is that funny?

I was banned afew weeks ago for bashing english people. How is this allowed?

Marco2K
08-26-2009, 07:57 PM
check out a video from a bullfight from this past sunday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lufMzgLKpI

Technorgasm
08-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Take this quarter.... And call someone who cares.

Um just glad that i have till next summer
to suffer through pmnt games

and even more thankfull I don't have to hear about him polluting be glorious noble premeirship.

billyfly
08-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Take this quarter.... And call someone who cares.

Um just glad that i have till next summer
to suffer through pmnt games

and even more thankfull I don't have to hear about him polluting be glorious noble premeirship.

LOL. Probably not as I am not sure they'll make it.

AL-MO
08-29-2009, 01:32 AM
LOL. Probably not as I am not sure they'll make it.

Don`t think its going to happen. But you can eat the corn out of my shit anyways techno.:cool: