PDA

View Full Version : MLSNET in Google

jabbronies
08-18-2009, 06:35 PM
So when you go to google and you type in "Major League Soccer" or "MLSNET" or any other word combonation that will bring up the MLS website in the search results, there are 3 teams listed in the sub-links area -Los Angeles, Toronto and New York.

From what I know, these sub links represent the most visited portions of the MLSnet website. Is this correct? Does anyone know for sure if this is the case?

prizby
08-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Tor-ont-ohhhhhhhhh

Tfc :)

Eastend
08-18-2009, 06:37 PM
I believe you are correct. The sites/links with the most hits appears at the top of the search results.

rocker
08-18-2009, 07:24 PM
wow... new york is in the top three eh? I thought all their fans had given up.

TFCRegina
08-18-2009, 07:40 PM
wow... new york is in the top three eh? I thought all their fans had given up.

It's probably all the other teams' supporters going to the website to read comical stories of shite play from shite bulls.

prizby
08-18-2009, 09:25 PM
NYRB is in the top 3 cuz any international exposure the first 2 clicked on are LA and NY

TFC07
08-18-2009, 09:29 PM
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/mlsnet.com

jabbronies
08-19-2009, 09:34 AM
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/mlsnet.com

Looks like the keywords toronto fc is what's getting it up so high.

Parkdale
08-19-2009, 09:45 AM
when you google search for 'Toronto FC', the 9th listed site is www.redpatchboys.ca

there's a few others above us that make me scratch my head.
www.tofc.ca ?? - I've never heard of that one.
www.gotorontofc.com is ahead of us by a few spots, but they put in tons of work on the site.

MartinUtd
08-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Ahhhhhh SEO at work. Just a few pieces of well placed code can trump all of a designer and content writers hard work.

Chewy Unikronik
08-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Looks like the keywords toronto fc is what's getting it up so high.
Even BMO Field is on the list!

grizzle
08-19-2009, 10:34 AM
The only way to really find this information out is to see the server logs (or analytics). I don't really trust a lot of the info Alexa provides, or any tool for that matter. According to compete (another popular SEO tool), FC Dallas gets more searches than Toronto and Toronto isn't even in the top 5 (yet somehow columbus is):
http://searchanalytics.compete.com/site_referrals/mlsnet.com

The Sitelinks probably are partly to do with traffic, but I think there are more factors than those. Some of which include:

How many times the page has been accessed.
How long visitors stayed upon the page.
If a visitor scrolled down the page, or clicked on a link without scrolling down.
Information retrieval scores for the page, along with an indication of how good a match the page may be for the query that was used in the search.
The likelihood that someone might make a purchase on that page.
Other information that might indicate that someone would be interested in the page.

(Borrowed those points from another site)

molenshtain
11-20-2014, 10:57 PM
The fuck is that thing^^??

BuSaPuNk
11-20-2014, 11:04 PM
The fuck is that thing^^??

Spam already taken take off hahaha

jloome
11-24-2014, 09:25 AM
The only way to really find this information out is to see the server logs (or analytics). I don't really trust a lot of the info Alexa provides, or any tool for that matter. According to compete (another popular SEO tool), FC Dallas gets more searches than Toronto and Toronto isn't even in the top 5 (yet somehow columbus is):
http://searchanalytics.compete.com/site_referrals/mlsnet.com

The Sitelinks probably are partly to do with traffic, but I think there are more factors than those. Some of which include:

How many times the page has been accessed.
How long visitors stayed upon the page.
If a visitor scrolled down the page, or clicked on a link without scrolling down.
Information retrieval scores for the page, along with an indication of how good a match the page may be for the query that was used in the search.
The likelihood that someone might make a purchase on that page.
Other information that might indicate that someone would be interested in the page.

(Borrowed those points from another site)

Google results are geo-targeted by IP. So people in Toronto will see a related link if there is one.

LOL just noticed how old this thread is.