PDA

View Full Version : USL For Sale. MLS Interested

ren989
08-17-2009, 11:00 AM
http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/comment/article/284776--mls-in-running-to-buy-usl

I would love to see a promotion/relegation system similar to that in Europe. Even if it meant the odd year or two of TFC playing in a lower division.

Super
08-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Fine, but then get rid of the salary cap.

flatpicker
08-17-2009, 11:05 AM
this article is such a tease! hahaha...

I would love the league to expand into a 2-tier system... but I don't think I will get my wish.

Super
08-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Nope - won't happen. One guy commented that it would be disastrous to the league advertising deals (TV and other) if New York or LA were relegated and replaced by Charleston and Rochester. That's a great point indeed.

So I guess we're stuck with the present system.

DangerRed
08-17-2009, 11:09 AM
I write about business for a big media outlet. This is a hilarious story.

First paragraph:
In what amounts to a Major League Soccer fan’s wet dream, the lower-level United Soccer Leagues has been put up for sale and two league sources have confirmed that MLS has inquired into purchasing it.

Third-last paragraph:
Two USL sources, speaking on the condition of anonymity, confirmed MLS’s interest, but both said that it was looking less likely now, as MLS was not interested in the type of numbers Nike had asked for.

Nice to bury the (non)news.

ren989
08-17-2009, 11:09 AM
One can dream!

Cambridge_Red
08-17-2009, 11:10 AM
It could work if done right. The JLeague is two tiered and is around the same age as MLS. Since there is already a decent support in USL already the fan base for a lower league is already established. Prmotion could attract more fans. The only concerns is struggling MLS teams like FC Dallas who could be relagated then lose the man and his dog who show up to home games.

flatpicker
08-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Nope - won't happen. One guy commented that it would be disastrous to the league advertising deals (TV and other) if New York or LA were relegated and replaced by Charleston and Rochester. That's a great point indeed.

I still think there are ways to help avoid that situation.

All they have to do is...

Make sure the last place MLS-1 team has a single game playoff match at home against the top MLS-2 team.
That would help prevent any relegation taking place.

Also, if they had two different salary caps in the two leagues, then the MLS-2 clubs would have a harder time climbing out.

Also, if the MLS Cup were expanded to include all MLS-1 teams and many of the MLS-2 teams, then you would certainly have every major market in the playoffs every year.

And since there would be no relegation beyond the MLS-2, the excitement at season's end would be to see which MLS-2 teams fail to make the MLS Cup.

Beach_Red
08-17-2009, 11:17 AM

Stuck with it for now, until the league is properly established on TV.

Remember, the NFL as no team in LA and a team in Green Bay, Wisconsin and gets great TV numbers.

Okay, admittedly it's a long way off, but it could happen ;).

BayernTFC
08-17-2009, 11:18 AM
This news is being covered on the 24th Minute too:

http://www.24thminute.com/

However, it doesn't appear to matter. MLS doesn't look like it's going to win the day and someone else will try and continue on with the league. The question will be what they will do with it.

prizby
08-17-2009, 11:21 AM
nike owns the USL?

BayernTFC
08-17-2009, 11:33 AM
nike owns the USL?
Yes:

There have understandably been several inquiries on this topic and perhaps even some level of confusion. Here are the facts: Umbro International owns 98% of USL. Nike is in the process of finalizing an acquisition of Umbro which is due to close early next month. Umbro will become a Nike affiliate company continuing to operate under the Umbro brand. In the event the acquisition is finalized as expected, Nike will own Umbro, which owns USL.
http://www.uslsoccer.com/insider/229134.html

TorCanSoc
08-17-2009, 11:34 AM
USL lost their three strongest franchise. Portland, Vancouver, soon Montreal. Rochester has to be wondering who's left to play?

Why didn't USL promise Vancouver and Portland a stronger league? There's no reason the USL couldn't have competed with MLS. Make your product stronger and compete. Too bad their strongest franchises jumped ship. What gets me is USL just sat there and took it. No fight, no response? Just... ok... see ya.

Imagine if this story had any legs? Vanc, Portland and Montreal would be pissed!!! Anyway, it holds no water.

[NBF]
08-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Why not do like the German, Spanish and Dutch lower tier leagues and have reserve teams playing in lower tier leagues. MLS reserves teams + USL current teams can play in the USL 1 & 2. Have the present teams in the USL compete with the reserves of the MLS teams and have relegation between USL 1 and USL 2.

Seems to me like the more logical way of doing things.

Fort York Redcoat
08-17-2009, 12:05 PM
MLS would be daft not to buy USL. Even without relegation/promotion they would have more control and could gauge their improving products/teams and cease this useless enmity between the two leagues.

prizby
08-17-2009, 12:12 PM
NBF has a good suggestion

Lucky Strike
08-17-2009, 12:21 PM
;672783']Why not do like the German, Spanish and Dutch lower tier leagues and have reserve teams playing in lower tier leagues. MLS reserves teams + USL current teams can play in the USL 1 & 2. Have the present teams in the USL compete with the reserves of the MLS teams and have relegation between USL 1 and USL 2.

Seems to me like the more logical way of doing things.

France has the same thing where the fourth tier is comprised of a mixture between clubs (generally semi-professional and some amateur) and reserve teams of Ligue 1.

Billy the kid
08-17-2009, 12:25 PM
What would be great is if MLS teams had farm teams in the USL that they could draw on. Would help with the depth problem. I think if MLS bought it, they would leave it as a second tier league for smaller markets, but not connected to MLS.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-17-2009, 12:28 PM
http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/comment/article/284776--mls-in-running-to-buy-usl

I would love to see a promotion/relegation system similar to that in Europe. Even if it meant the odd year or two of TFC playing in a lower division.

No to a promotion-relegation type set up it wont work here...owners are NOT going to Invest in MLS only to have their clubs go down...the playoff
system is fine the way it it...this is a north american league and should have north american playoffs for the casuals to understand it. a MLS 2 could be used to test future MLS markets...then have the two divisions in a league cup competition but no miore then that.

Fort York Redcoat
08-17-2009, 12:29 PM
But do we think that a Montreal or Rochester supporter would rather see a reserve squad than some other team competing at thier level alone? I just think our view from up here supporting an MLS side is a bit off deciding what's best to fill the lower leagues.

Fort York Redcoat
08-17-2009, 12:33 PM
What would be great is if MLS teams had farm teams in the USL that they could draw on. Would help with the depth problem. I think if MLS bought it, they would leave it as a second tier league for smaller markets, but not connected to MLS.

This would be a comprimise to TFC2, TFC3, like it is in France and elsewhere but I think we can do bettter by not degrading teams by having the affiliation/farm moniker.

How many "Real"'s do we need to see in front of city names with no other correlation?

Real Hamilton?

S_D
08-17-2009, 12:36 PM
The Don has already stated that promotion relegation won't happen. I know many of you probably have wet dreams about the thought, but that is Europe not here.

If anything, MLS would use this as part of their farm system/dev system. I would be surprised if they even put in a bid.

This does explain though why the top tiered USL teams wanted to bail and get in the MLS. I am sure this is one of the reasons Saputo wants to get Mtl in ASAP.

TFCRegina
08-17-2009, 12:38 PM
USL won't be bought by MLS.

99% chance it goes to Traffic Sports of Brazil. Trust me.

Kevvv
08-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, and Mtl ain't paying an eight-figure franchise fee for the opportunity to be sent back to USL.

rocker
08-17-2009, 01:14 PM
regarding promo-releg, why the funk would I want the opportunity to see TFC relegated anyways?

I mean, consider yourself lucky that we don't have this... never have to see our team go down.

I don't want to go down to see TFC versus the Austin Aztex or Minnesota Thunder.

Shakes McQueen
08-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Promotion/Relegation system will not happen in my lifetime, if ever.

- Scott

Kaz
08-17-2009, 01:36 PM
I think the USL coming and using it as a farm system like MLB or NHL has would be great, not only does it help develop talent, but it fits into the North American Franchise system.

The Club system evolved naturally in Europe professional sports evolved naturally into the Franchise system here. Neither is better then the other, just one works well for North America's vast size and the other works for Europe's dense population, and strong intercity transport systems.

TFCRegina
08-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Well, you could have pro/rel with ease. You just have to have a way of compensating the lower level teams, like a revenue sharing agreement. You pay a franchise fee, you go bottom side, the league gives you parachute payments for x amount of years.

With pro/rel, you could get rid of the cap folks, and it makes sense. Teams like TFC would never go down with a capless pro/rel system. They'd be a big four style team with the likes of the Galaxy, Shitebulls, and Seattle/Chicago.

Beach_Red
08-17-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm wondering, do you think the NHL would be doing better in the US if they had a big 4?

When Messier signed with the Rangers yesterday I was reminded again they haven't won the cup since '94 and not before that for a long, long time. LA has never won it (okay, Anaheim), it's been decades for Chicago.

So, none of the biggest markets have really figured in the finals in quite a while. Could that be a reason why the NHL never get any TV ratings in the US? Would it have the same effect on MLS if the big market teams weren't always in the top league?

CoachGT
08-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Promotion/Relegation system will not happen in my lifetime, if ever.

- Scott

Agreed. The fact that the FA is considering cutting down to a two-tier promotion/relegation system (not that it will happen, but it is being spoken about out loud) and that other FA's are considering caps should give an indication of where the business of sport is headed.

canadian_bhoy
08-17-2009, 02:20 PM
1) No way MLS will ever have relegation, owners will never agree to it.
2) How the hell is the prospect of TFC one day being reduced to the same league as the former Stynx a "salivating" proposition?
3) Hopefully MLS will buy USL and make it the American Hockey League of the MLS...farm teams.

What's with this column? Is it a glorified fan blog or something?

boban
08-17-2009, 03:46 PM

Same way it wold be disastrous for Man U to fall in the EPL.
How do you insure that not happening? Build strong teams that will survive.
This entitlement theory espoused by NA sport franchises really irks me.

rocker
08-17-2009, 03:56 PM
With pro/rel, you could get rid of the cap folks, and it makes sense. Teams like TFC would never go down with a capless pro/rel system. They'd be a big four style team with the likes of the Galaxy, Shitebulls, and Seattle/Chicago.

I dunno about that. As we've seen with the Blue Jays and Major League baseball, there's always a chance other teams will pop up and spend more, and the team falls well below them.

What if some billionaires buy Columbus, KC, etc. because they can't pry TFC away from MLSE, they pump so much cash into those teams, and suddenly MLSE doesn't want to compete on that level. Next thing you know we're fighting for survival at the bottom of the league. No thanks.

There's this interesting "survival of the fittest" ideology surrounding promotion and relegation that I don't think actually works out in practice. It's instead called survival of the biggest bank account.

ExiledRed
08-17-2009, 04:06 PM
You know if you masturbate too much, you go blind.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-17-2009, 04:20 PM
I like the idea of the MLS buying the USL and using it as a tool to develop players, but the MLS is too cheap to run a reserve league, seems a little pie-in-the-sky that they're going to go out a buy a whole other league.

Shakes McQueen
08-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Same way it wold be disastrous for Man U to fall in the EPL.
How do you insure that not happening? Build strong teams that will survive.
This entitlement theory espoused by NA sport franchises really irks me.

It isn't about entitlement, it's about financial sustainability. Teams like Man Utd never go down, because they spend whatever it takes to stay up. If the major MLS markets got relegated, the effect on league revenue would be absolutely apocalyptic.

It's going to be a long time, if ever, before we see an MLS where teams can spend whatever they want on players. And in a league with some sense of parity, relegation would be completely possible for any team, any season.

And I'm personally fine with that. I don't think a league needs relegation to be exciting, as parity can also keep things close, and hence, exciting.

But yeah, you'll never see it. Owners shelling out millions on an MLS team, and the MLS expansion fee, aren't going to be okay with being told there's a chance their team could fail out of the league. It isn't in the interest of ANY team owners, so none of them will favour it.

If MLS buys the USL, I expect them to set it up like the AHL is to the NHL, or Triple-A is to MLB - a farm system, through which teams can call up and send down their players. This seems even more likely, since they folded the MLS reserve league.

It'd be a win-win for everyone. The talent level in USL would probably go up, as MLS teams send players down to their affiliates, and it might increase MLS fanship too, as some USL fans adopt their team's parent club as their own.

- Scott

mdc 77
08-17-2009, 06:52 PM
I really don't like to criticize writers or an article but that was so poorly written. Or better put the ideas in the story sounded like some ones post on here that ended up in a paper.

Relegation will never happen in MLS, it shouldn't even really be speculated on. Its just not something that would happen, not something that would even be considered by MLS.

Setting up the USL as a "farm league" makes a lot of sense, I'm not sure why MLS wouldn't be all over that idea.

Beach_Red
08-17-2009, 07:21 PM
It isn't about entitlement, it's about financial sustainability. Teams like Man Utd never go down, because they spend whatever it takes to stay up.

But now they spend more than the fans spend. They aren't the supporters' teams anymore, they are the playthings of billionaires (or, they're used to launder money...).

I suppose in the case of soccer teams debt can go on forever, just like it can with banks and housing and high tech and, oh wait, right....

Intru
08-17-2009, 08:09 PM
You guys realize that USL is not only USL1 and 2, also that even if they buy the league all clubs belong to the individual owners not the league like MLS so you cant force them to just become a farm team. Fan support would probably drop if USL 1 becomes a farm league, but what MLS is most interested in is probably the PDL and the youth leagues, because with this they would have to pay for a development league because its already there.

They would probably reorganize the USL tyres better but would probably leave the pro side alone and work on devloping connections betwen PDL clubs and MLS clubs, with out having to really pay for it.

Kaz
08-17-2009, 09:21 PM
why would it drop?
OHL and AHL do well. AAA Baseball does alright, and it's good for the sport. Teams could actually develop young players directly over a few years, without the need for a reserve league. Could really help develop the sport too.

and you don't have to force a farm team system, you could allow owners to sign development agreements with MLS teams, so that certain players can be developed and traded freely. would give the USL 1 and 2 teams the benefit of the MLS scouts and vice versa.

flatpicker
08-17-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure how making USL into a farm system would work out?

What about the fact USL clubs compete against the MLS in US Open Cup and Champions League?

You can't compete in a tournament against a team who's players you control.
It would go against the idea of fair play.

Keystone FC
08-18-2009, 03:09 AM
For a short while USL clubs were affiliated with MLS clubs, but for some reason tension set in between the two and the partnership ended.
The thing coming from this article is that the USL is going to go through a restucturing, rebranding, re...everything for financial reasons. Whether it has to do with new owners of failing clubs there will be changes made to the league within the next few years.
I see this as an opprotunity for Canada to get into the game and make their mark on the USL system by possibly adding some teams from the PCSL or the CSL to the USL roster, or by placing the CSL under the branch of the USL. It may sound strnge but these are the things that can bolster a league like the CSL when matched up with clubs of the USL.

Cashcleaner
08-18-2009, 04:32 AM
Ho hum, not more talk about promotion and relegation again. Take a look at a map of the Earth. Look at England. Look at Spain. Look at France. Look at Japan. Look at Italy.

Now look at North America. See a difference?

Canada and the United States could fit ALL of Europe including a large portion of Russia within our borders. Promotion and relegation works great in those national leagues because clubs are virtually down the road from each other. Travel costs for clubs overseas are typically a fraction of what we have here.

Toronto to Los Angeles is further than London to Moscow. Heck, Toronto to Montreal is further than London to Paris!

Aside from the aforementioned economic realities, simple geography and the location of our major cities makes travelling far too costly for smaller clubs to cope with financially.

Pookie
08-18-2009, 06:05 AM
I think a purchase of the league would simply be done in the interests of acquiring assets (trademarks, rights, lease agreements, etc) and any teams in markets that offered potential would likely be incorporated into the MLS.

I doubt you'd see a League 1 and League 2 scenario. As appealing as that is from a competitive standpoint, current ownership did not pay expansion fees to play in a league that offered them a chance to be dropped into a lower division.

But if this were to happen, we could always follow the Italian Serie A example and just fix the matches.

flatpicker
08-18-2009, 07:29 AM
Ho hum, not more talk about promotion and relegation again. Take a look at a map of the Earth. Look at England. Look at Spain. Look at France. Look at Japan. Look at Italy.

Now look at North America. See a difference?

Canada and the United States could fit ALL of Europe including a large portion of Russia within our borders. Promotion and relegation works great in those national leagues because clubs are virtually down the road from each other. Travel costs for clubs overseas are typically a fraction of what we have here.

Toronto to Los Angeles is further than London to Moscow. Heck, Toronto to Montreal is further than London to Paris!

Aside from the aforementioned economic realities, simple geography and the location of our major cities makes travelling far too costly for smaller clubs to cope with financially.

what's geography got to do with anything?

Do USL teams not travel between Montreal, Vancouver, Puerto Rico etc.?

Kaz
08-18-2009, 08:18 AM
what's geography got to do with anything?

Do USL teams not travel between Montreal, Vancouver, Puerto Rico etc.?
Seriously?

USL teams go on road trips that will be 2-3 cities in a week. They will often play in Cleveland on friday and rochester on sunday, or porto rico and then miami. Portland and Vancouver.

and many teams drop to lower leagues because of the travel

add to that the loss of Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, and soon Montreal hurts the bottom line.

in England even league 2 they can travel from Northumbria to London cheaply.

in a pro/reg system the Provo UT, Salem OR, and Thunder Bay ON if they have great seasons would have issue moving up the markets just can't support the teams, and teams in Cleavland and St. Louis in the same league could very much out play them.

the USL system is basicly being used a development league system for players now away way, how many former USL players are in MLS now.

but I don't see this ever happening. MLS as it is going to go into flux in the not to distant future anyway, Dallas I don't think is going to survive in that market.

Beach_Red
08-18-2009, 08:46 AM

What I find interesting is the unquestioned acceptance of promo/relegation as the better system. Sorry, I don't see it. Maybe if there was a cap and success wasn't simply a matter of having the billionaire owner willing to take on the most debt....

flatpicker
08-18-2009, 08:56 AM
Seriously?

USL teams go on road trips that will be 2-3 cities in a week. They will often play in Cleveland on friday and rochester on sunday, or porto rico and then miami. Portland and Vancouver.

aren't you just furthering my point with this?

Shakes McQueen
08-18-2009, 10:16 AM
But now they spend more than the fans spend. They aren't the supporters' teams anymore, they are the playthings of billionaires (or, they're used to launder money...).

I suppose in the case of soccer teams debt can go on forever, just like it can with banks and housing and high tech and, oh wait, right....

EXACTLY. I'd prefer that our league actually make steps early to create a financially sustainable league, and not turn into what the EPL is turning into - a billionaires playground, stocked full of teams with heavily over-leveraged debt that WILL come crashing down at some point.

- Scott

flatpicker
08-18-2009, 11:04 AM
EXACTLY. I'd prefer that our league actually make steps early to create a financially sustainable league, and not turn into what the EPL is turning into - a billionaires playground, stocked full of teams with heavily over-leveraged debt that WILL come crashing down at some point.

- Scott

believe me... I wouldn't want that to happen to MLS either... but I want my cake and eat it too! :D

Hitcho
08-18-2009, 11:30 AM
The answer to all of this is much more simple: forget about buying USL and when MLS hits 20 teams split it into two leagues of ten with two or three teams going up/down between the two leagues each season. No-one can ever be relegated out of the comfy MLS protective blanket and all of the marketing etc will remain in place on a central basis. The parity issues can all stay in place - draft picks, salary cap, etc to prevent a "big four" dominance and keep the leagues fluid. And on the plus sde it creates another trophy for the league to give out - there are two league titles up for grabs.

Add in a genuine MLS Cup alongside the two leagues which is done on a knock out basis with home and away legs and a neutral final venue and you'll find all the teams play each other on a consistent basis, as well as having a third trophy to give out which anyone can win (including teams in the "lower" MLS league, who can get home field advantage for the second leg of the cup tie as an additional parity issue).

You can grow the model too by adding new teams to the leagues and when it reaches 30 teams (if it ever got that high) you split the lower league into two randomly drawn leagues of ten and the top two from each go up and the bottom four from the "elite" league go down, with only six surviving. Again, keeps the league line ups fluid and ensures that teams will all play each other consistently and stop things getting stale. When new teams sign up to MLS, they go in at the bottom.

I really think this model could work - it's basically a variation on the conference system we have now, but adds a bit more worldwide respectability to MLS without risking the desertion of fans from teams who get "relegated", because in reality it's no worse than not making the play offs in any given year and if any team consistently stays in the elite league for too long it will suffer through draft picks etc and sooner or later will drop down, at least for a bit. So the american terror of relegation is avoided, but the whole thing ebcomes a bit more interesting, with more to play for at all levels (two league titles to be won, "promotion" and "relegation" to be won/avoided and the knock out MLS Cup to be won) and more kudos at a FIFA type level.

Kaz
08-18-2009, 11:44 AM
aren't you just furthering my point with this?
no.. professional leagues don't ask players to travel 1000km play a game Friday, travel 500 more and play another Sunday, several times a year. That type of cost saving only hurts players quality. In Euro leagues, you can stick everyone on a train and travel 8 hours max.

they are using the cheapest travel method, and not the method best for fitness.

The average MLS team is getting a box of what 8-10 million a year? the average USL team 800k to 1.3 million. That's Salary, travel, stadium deals. Promotion Regulation is just bad when both leagues are still running in the Red.

The Franchise system developed here for a reason.

Cashcleaner
08-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Like Kaz mentioned, teams in USL-1 tend to go on sustained roadtrips to lower costs for the clubs. It's a necessary evil because most clubs don't have the money to just fly their team in and out of town for every match. As a result, you'll get clumps of home games followed by clumps of away games instead of a standard one-week home, one-week away schedule that clubs in MLS tend to have more of.

And that's just USL-1. USL 2 only has teams along the East coast and Bermuda. The PDL is also broken up into smaller regional conferences to help keep travel costs down for clubs as well.

Keystone FC
08-19-2009, 01:32 PM
I think in any point the USL will get stronger with a restructuring of the leagues. Some teams will fold and that means players will be available for the cheap. If only a handful of USL 1 clubs were profitable (and I'm assuming Vancouver, Portland, Montreal) this could mean some clubs may merge with others, or just fold, which would lead to a more profitable league with profitable clubs to compete against MLS clubs. The US Open Cup, The Canadian Cup,and CCL might get just a bit tougher.

Cashcleaner
08-20-2009, 12:51 AM
^ I don't see any mergers happening. I think given the complexities involved, it would just create more problems for owners.

Hard to say what's going on with the USL now. I don't really see a future without it, but aren't they facing some serious cashflow issues at the moment? Expansion franchises are constantly awarded, so that must be indicating some level of interest.

I just don't know what to make of any of it. :noidea:

Shakes McQueen
08-20-2009, 12:59 AM
^ I don't see any mergers happening. I think given the complexities involved, it would just create more problems for owners.

Hard to say what's going on with the USL now. I don't really see a future without it, but aren't they facing some serious cashflow issues at the moment? Expansion franchises are constantly awarded, so that must be indicating some level of interest.

Expansion franchises constantly being awarded could also mean the league is dying for cash infusions, and so anyone who so much as asks about a franchise is being given one.

- Scott

Cashcleaner
08-20-2009, 01:28 AM
^ Yeah, that's true now that you've mentioned it.

Oldtimer
08-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Expansion franchises constantly being awarded could also mean the league is dying for cash infusions, and so anyone who so much as asks about a franchise is being given one.

- Scott

Exactly.

The USL (with no salary cap) are in exactly the same situation as the NASL was (with no salary cap), although the financial numbers are much smaller.
There are a few teams that make money, the other teams are over-spending to keep up with the better teams (Montreal, Vancouver) and the whole system could go under.

If MLS buys USL, they will institute a salary cap of some sorts, no doubt about it. That, plus a cash infusion from MLS could result in a decent farm league, even when the major teams have all left for MLS.

Keystone FC
08-20-2009, 02:04 PM

That's what it basically boils down to. The USL 2 is going into their playoffs I believe this weekend so within a few weeks we should hear some sort of news of what may happen for next season. This could all just be nonsense but it has some nugget of credible backing, so like you said...who knows what will happen.