PDA

View Full Version : Negative fans - am I off base?

Pookie
08-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Am I way off base here?

I am growing increasingly frustrated with the constant criticism of players on this team. Not so much on these boards as I think player evaluation is something that contributes to a discussion.

I'm talking about criticism at the game from "fans." Comments directed at specific players and intended for them to be heard while they are playing... at home... for the club which these "fans" supposedly love.

I had a run in with one such "fan" yesterday. We were up 2-0 as you know. All second half, the comments were raining down and not one was positive. The cake for me was "You suck DeRo."

I get that fans will be frustrated. I've been a TFC supporter for 3 years now, trust me, I get it.

But I'd had enough. I turned around and asked, "you do realize that the boys are winning a critical game at home and that this is the MLS?" A discussion ensued.

If you are one of these "fans", I'd ask you to do a couple of things:

1. You may wish to remind yourself that this is the MLS. Players make mistakes. If they didn't they wouldn't be here.

2. Accept reality. That's what we have. As long as we have a team in the MLS, that's the kind of team we will always have and if that is inconceivable to you, save yourself some money and aggravation and stay home.

3. The lyrics "Through the thick and thin, we are loyal to the end" actually mean something to the majority of us - learn it.

London
08-16-2009, 07:15 AM
people are stupid, just a fact of life!!!

denime
08-16-2009, 07:19 AM
You are not only one who has the same feeling.

We had two new "one timers" in 115 yesterday who would not stop bitching,or giving players instructions what to do,etc.
At one point I told them to shut the fu*k up and support the team or go to 104 top rows.

It is easy to be a smart ass in the stands,I would like to see how the same soccer geniuses would play if they where on the pitch.

Even the worst player on our roster is better that anyone in the stands.

I'm not always happy with TFC,but as a supporter I'm there to make them better by supporting them,not shitting all over them.

ALL FOR ONE

FluSH
08-16-2009, 08:49 AM

We had two new "one timers" in 115 yesterday who would not stop bitching,or giving players instructions what to do,etc.
At one point I told them to shut the fu*k up and support the team or go to 104 top rows.

It is easy to be a smart ass in the stands,I would like to see how the same soccer geniuses would play if they where on the pitch.

I'm not always happy with TFC,but as a supporter I'm there to make them better by supporting them,not shitting all over them.

ALL FOR ONE

AMEN... lol send them with the visiting supporters...

v00d00daddy
08-16-2009, 09:13 AM
You guys are funny.

Here's a question?

When will you guys understand that there is more than one way to support a team.

It takes all sorts boys.

Sometimes yelling at one of our players comes out of frustration with their play.

Consider it a personal "I deserve better" banner.

Btw....Robbo's play makes me sarcastically clap or yell out at least once a game.

Broadview
08-16-2009, 09:25 AM
Am I way off base here?

I am growing increasingly frustrated with the constant criticism of players on this team. Not so much on these boards as I think player evaluation is something that contributes to a discussion.

You are not off base, you are bang on.

To do that shit at the game is brutal but even on these boards there's about ten times the bitching and griping you would expect after a 2-0 win.

Imagine being a player logging on here this morning hoping to bask in a little cyber-praise. After a win like that, you would think it would be safe to do so. This is a supporters group website, right?

Maybe the older players would know better, but I doubt I could resist.

Sure, not all out players had spectacular games, but the whole team worked harder than DC did on a brutally hot day on that terrible surface and got a result.

Lots of people on these boards are more concerned about coming off as know-it-all football experts than they are about being Toronto FC supporters. It would be nice if people could sheath their knives until we get the crappy results that really deserve the knives.

I know that some people are never happy unless they have something to bitch about. Regarding TFC, that's why I stopped using Big Soccer as my primary fan message board and started perusing these boards. Now I can't tell the difference between the two.

I know that there are many different perspectives out there when it comes to what it is that constitues being a supporter. But I don't think that it's splitting hairs to ask that you smile after a win and don't shit on your players after they busted their asses to get us that win.

rocker
08-16-2009, 09:28 AM

So you deserve better than a 2-0 win?

How about a 5-0 win? Is that not enough? how about 10-0?

Some people need some perspective. Maybe they should watch more out of market MLS games and understand a 2-0 win is a big win in MLS.... and yes, MLS players make more mistakes than Euro players.

In the end, it's not about playing a "perfect" game but outscoring your opponents.
Cuz DC made a lot of a mistakes too. The team that makes less of those mistakes and pots a few goals usually wins.

TFCRegina
08-16-2009, 09:38 AM

Some people need some perspective. Maybe they should watch more out of market MLS games and understand a 2-0 win is a big win in MLS.... and yes, MLS players make more mistakes than Euro players.

In the end, it's not about playing a "perfect" game but outscoring your opponents.
Cuz DC made a lot of a mistakes too. The team that makes less of those mistakes and pots a few goals usually wins.

I've always been a fan of the "put one more in than the other guy" philosphy.

Menelaos
08-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Keep in mind who these fans are guys.

Have you ever known Toronto fans of any team that actually supported the individual players of their team? Whether its the Argos, Leafs, Jays or Raptors, 'fans' in Toronto seen to want to emulate fans in the US and boo at every mistake made.

It is only the true supporters of the team who actually care to be informed about the players and the sport enough to be able to give constructive critizism of any kind. The others just want to boo and think they know better.

Next time just suggest to the brilliant sport mind yelling out things that you would love to see him/her out on the pitch doing better. That usually gets them to shut up.

dupont
08-16-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm glad no one was doing this in my section. Everyone was just loving every second of that glorious home win!
Seriously, who heckles a team winning 2-0 ?

Shakes McQueen
08-16-2009, 10:03 AM
I agree with your sentiments Pookie, but I wish some people would stop throwing around pejoratives like "true supporter"

There is nothing constructive or useful about screaming at DeRo that he sucks at the game, because he's having a rough day. The point of game day support, is to SUPPORT - to be a vocal 12th man - not to rag our own players when they make a few mistakes.

I went to a game this year, where a guy behind me just kept shouting "Barrett is a douchebag" over and over again. I wanted to fucking knock him out. What is the point of that?. If the level of play in MLS makes you that mad, to the point where you're jeering your own players at the game, perhaps it's time to accept that you just aren't a fan of the team.

I know I would personally rather have you sitting at home, then have a bunch of you at BMO Field, actively working against the confidence of our team. If you think you "deserve" anything close to perfection as an MLS fan, I can safely say you're watching the wrong league. And that isn't a matter of having lower expectations than you, it's a matter of understanding what it means to be a feeder league, on a continent where soccer is not king.

- Scott

Detroit_TFC
08-16-2009, 10:36 AM
I've got less problem with people here venting, because in nearly every case I know people here are motivated by the love of the club (regardless if they are right or wrong about their specific criticism IMO). People in the stands in the examples above are just acting like consumers, complaining about not getting their money's worth, without any sense of proportion, history or vision.

/rant

Parkdale
08-16-2009, 11:05 AM
You guys are funny.

Here's a question?

When will you guys understand that there is more than one way to support a team.

It takes all sorts boys.

wait... are you actually saying that yelling at a player while we're winning
is a 'way to support the team'? Seriously? You're saying that? Really?

Super
08-16-2009, 11:16 AM
To be fair, I think you'll find these types at any stadium anywhere in the world - regardless of the sport. It's just the nature of the beast. Toss in alcohol and it's even worse. I'm not sure the overall bitching at BMO is more than what you'd see in DC, Columbus or LA. I hate it too, but as much as I accept the MLS for what it is, I also accept the crowd for what it is. My response is to sing louder to support the team.

The Professor
08-16-2009, 11:27 AM
You're not off base at all, Pookie.

Logging in here today, I half expected a "Who do we blame for yesterday's win?" poll.

Pigfynn
08-16-2009, 11:40 AM
There are dozens of morons on this message board most of which frequent the Toronto FC Forum.

flatpicker
08-16-2009, 11:42 AM

you suck Parkie!

*translation* - you have my support!

v00d00daddy
08-16-2009, 12:12 PM

No. And just to remind you...we weren't winning that game from the first minute and there was a lot of sloppy play by the boys in red.

Yelling at a player comes out of frustration. Nothing more for me. I'm not trying to humiliate the guy because guess what...he' can't hear me.

I just don't understand why, after a good win, somebody decides to start this thread.

From where I'm sitting, it looks like one of two things:

-an opportunity for the "super true supporters" to pat themselves on the back again

and/or

-an opportunity to rile people up for no good reason.

I don't get it.

v00d00daddy
08-16-2009, 12:19 PM

I swear you guys just try to stir shit up.

Did you hear anybody at the end of the game shitting on the players?

No.

Some people get frustrated when players make shitty decisions on the field.

I can't stand when one of our players is under no pressure, has 3 different options, and decides to make a boneheaded play and give the ball away.

When that happens I get pissed and sometimes I clap sarcastically or I call the player an idiot.

Other supporters groan.

Other supporters don't react at all.

Other supporters don't react because they didn't see the play because they're chanting and jumping and having a good time.

It's all good.

You know what...I don't like it when we're playing poorly and losing in a game and people are chanting "this is our house" or "we're red, we're white, we're fucking dynomite" but I don't "call them out" or say anything to them for that matter.

You know why...because It's not my place. I don't pretend to have the ultimate definition on what it takes to to support a team.

I'm full of myself...but not THAT full of myself.

Shakes McQueen
08-16-2009, 12:22 PM
No. And just to remind you...we weren't winning that game from the first minute and there was a lot of sloppy play by the boys in red.

Yelling at a player comes out of frustration. Nothing more for me. I'm not trying to humiliate the guy because guess what...he' can't hear me.

I just don't understand why, after a good win, somebody decides to start this thread.

-an opportunity for the "super true supporters" to pat themselves on the back again

and/or

I don't get it.

He started the thread, to vent about the assholes in the crowd that were jeering the team during a game that we were never losing at any point?

And yes, there was a lot of sloppy play. There's always a lot of sloppy play. That is MLS. Lots of sloppy play, a few golden moments here and there, and you pray your team manages to bag enough goals to be declared the winner. This isn't the Premier League, and if sloppy play is going to result in idiots cursing out our team in the stands, I suggest they either pick a different league, or sport, because MLS is only going to give them high blood pressure.

- Scott

v00d00daddy
08-16-2009, 12:30 PM
He started the thread, to vent about the assholes in the crowd that were jeering the team during a game that we were never losing at any point?

And yes, there was a lot of sloppy play. There's always a lot of sloppy play. That is MLS. Lots of sloppy play, a few golden moments here and there, and you pray your team manages to bag enough goals to be declared the winner. This isn't the Premier League, and if sloppy play is going to result in idiots cursing out our team in the stands, I suggest they either pick a different league, or sport, because MLS is only going to give them high blood pressure.

- Scott

Okay...we're going a bit off topic here but there are mistakes that our players make that they should NEVER make. I don't care if it's the BPL, MLS, USL, or CSL.

When you have the ball at your feet, several options, and all the time in the world you HAVE to do better than kick it back to the opposition. It's not a skill thing...it's a mentality thing.

Btw...there are several players on our team who, as long as they're not under pressure, do not make these kinds of mistakes. (or if they do, it's once in a blue moon and not 2-3 times a game)

LucaGol
08-16-2009, 12:31 PM
omg, again with this discussion

grizzle
08-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Talking is one thing, but why do people throw streamers at the players:

(Nana almost getting hit):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c2XH9Z1OtI

Shakes McQueen
08-16-2009, 12:46 PM
I agree with Voododaddy. There is definitely more than one way to support a team, allthough when your up 2-0 that is the wrong time for the negative stuff. But I do understand what he means about the holier than thou supporters who think the only way to support a team is to be an unconditionally loving cheerleader.

Except no one has ever, EVER advocated being an unquestioning cheerleader, EVER. This is one strawman argument I'm getting really tired of.

I'm getting tired of this debate being boiled down to one side pontificating about what a "true supporter" is, and then the other side responding by calling the first group a bunch of "cheerleaders". It's intellectually dishonest at best, and retarded at worst.

Criticizing your team is a sacred right as a fan. The OP's point was that screaming at our best player that he sucks, in a game we are winning, is fucking stupid. And I couldn't agree more.

- Scott

flatpicker
08-16-2009, 12:47 PM
I agree with Voododaddy. There is definitely more than one way to support a team, allthough when your up 2-0 that is the wrong time for the negative stuff. But I do understand what he means about the holier than thou supporters who think the only way to support a team is to be an unconditionally loving cheerleader.

I think you are missing the point.

People aren't saying you shouldn't express yourself when you think a player is not doing his job.

It's just that there is no need to be mean or insulting to a player on your chosen club.
Like someone said in here... yell out something constructive... yell out what you think the better option is or should have been.

Yell at the TFC player to pick up the pace, pull it together, hustle... whatever...
But to say "you suck" is not helpful at all.
That's the kind of thing you say to players on the other team!

TFC OZZ
08-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Personally, I'm completely against anything negative being said about our players, while they're playing. Save negative criticism for after the game. Whether your up 3-0 or down 3-0, we should be BEHIND our team for the full 90 supporting them when it matters most.

Pookie
08-16-2009, 12:56 PM
I don't think I suggested anywhere that we should be "unconditional cheerleaders." I think there is a major difference between commentary on players in a discussion forum and screaming negatives at them "live" at a game.

Ask me about Barrett, and I'll give you my opinion and plenty of reasons as to why I was happy to see him on the bench yesterday.

But during a game, I'm not going to scream at the guy. Telling him he sucks isn't going to make him try harder.

Think to your own life, do you perform better at work if you are afraid to make a mistake? Do you like your boss riding you, micro managing every aspect of your performance? Calling you out in front of your peers for a mistake you made? Is that motivational?

BMO should be a difficult place to play.... for the visiting club.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Am I way off base here?

I'm talking about criticism at the game from "fans." Comments directed at specific players and intended for them to be heard while they are playing... at home... for the club which these "fans" supposedly love.

I had a run in with one such "fan" yesterday. We were up 2-0 as you know. All second half, the comments were raining down and not one was positive. The cake for me was "You suck DeRo."

I get that fans will be frustrated. I've been a TFC supporter for 3 years now, trust me, I get it.

But I'd had enough. I turned around and asked, "you do realize that the boys are winning a critical game at home and that this is the MLS?" A discussion ensued.

If you are one of these "fans", I'd ask you to do a couple of things:

1. You may wish to remind yourself that this is the MLS. Players make mistakes. If they didn't they wouldn't be here.

2. Accept reality. That's what we have. As long as we have a team in the MLS, that's the kind of team we will always have and if that is inconceivable to you, save yourself some money and aggravation and stay home.

3. The lyrics "Through the thick and thin, we are loyal to the end" actually mean something to the majority of us - learn it.

pookie as you well know im known my outspoken critisism of DeRo,although im not the guy who yelled you sucked DeRo..He had a nice goal yesterday, yet missed a breakway anyone in the stadium could have scored or at least hit the net, not hitting a golf slice way past the post. or his contant trying to win the game on his own without his teamates.
my problems with hom is lesss on the field, if more his attuitude off it,
ie may main dislike came for him during the past wcq when he did want to play in Toronto because of the turf he;d rather play elsewherem as a canadian fan of the nats for a long time i took this as a personal slap in the face for the time, money and effort i take getting to these matches,
and he treats the supporters like shit by saying this?? If DeRo felt the way he does on the field turf issue, which he does have that right, he should not be a hypocrate and play on it for a pay check, yet whines when Canada plays on it. and until he appologizes for that statement
he made prior to the WCQ game against Jamaica..i will still get on his case..why other suporters are on hum? they have their own reasons,
but thats mine, rightfully or wrongly

Shakes McQueen
08-16-2009, 01:27 PM
pookie as you well know im known my outspoken critisism of DeRo,although im not the guy who yelled you sucked DeRo..He had a nice goal yesterday, yet missed a breakway anyone in the stadium could have scored or at least hit the net, not hitting a golf slice way past the post. or his contant trying to win the game on his own without his teamates.
my problems with hom is lesss on the field, if more his attuitude off it,
ie may main dislike came for him during the past wcq when he did want to play in Toronto because of the turf he;d rather play elsewherem as a canadian fan of the nats for a long time i took this as a personal slap in the face for the time, money and effort i take getting to these matches,
and he treats the supporters like shit by saying this?? If DeRo felt the way he does on the field turf issue, which he does have that right, he should not be a hypocrate and play on it for a pay check, yet whines when Canada plays on it. and until he appologizes for that statement
he made prior to the WCQ game against Jamaica..i will still get on his case..why other suporters are on hum? they have their own reasons,
but thats mine, rightfully or wrongly

When he said that, he wasn't suggesting Canada play their games in Connecticut. He was likely insinuating he'd rather play in Saputo Stadium, for example. A stadium with actual grass.

And it was great that he said it, because he was publicly calling out the shitty carpet at BMO Field. I can't believe that THIS is your major beef with the guy.

- Scott

TheRenter
08-16-2009, 01:46 PM
You guys are funny.

Here's a question?

It takes all sorts boys.

Sometimes yelling at one of our players comes out of frustration with their play.

Btw....Robbo's play makes me sarcastically clap or yell out at least once a game.

and/or

I don't get it.

I swear you guys just try to stir shit up.

Did you hear anybody at the end of the game shitting on the players?

No.

Some people get frustrated when players make shitty decisions on the field.

I can't stand when one of our players is under no pressure, has 3 different options, and decides to make a boneheaded play and give the ball away.

When that happens I get pissed and sometimes I clap sarcastically or I call the player an idiot.

Other supporters groan.

Other supporters don't react at all.

Other supporters don't react because they didn't see the play because they're chanting and jumping and having a good time.

It's all good.

You know what...I don't like it when we're playing poorly and losing in a game and people are chanting "this is our house" or "we're red, we're white, we're fucking dynomite" but I don't "call them out" or say anything to them for that matter.

You know why...because It's not my place. I don't pretend to have the ultimate definition on what it takes to to support a team.

I'm full of myself...but not THAT full of myself.

thanks; for having taught me for the first time the importance of utilizing the ignore feature

u crack me up:red:

now:topic:

TFC HSV
08-16-2009, 01:47 PM
your bang on pookie.

barca99
08-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Talking is one thing, but why do people throw streamers at the players:

(Nana almost getting hit):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c2XH9Z1OtI

I noticed this yesterday too, on TV of course. I don't think a big deal needs to be made about it, but this isn't the first time this year that a streamer has been thrown at a TFC player at BMO. I'm not sure if there is a way to stop it, but it is pretty ridiculous. If I was Nana I would have thrown it back in the crowd.

DOMIN8R
08-16-2009, 02:13 PM
If I hear a "supporter" rag on our team more than the opposing team, then I think that you are just a cynical whiner.

Yup. TFC makes mistakes. Sometimes we make lots of them. News flash - TFC is going to make losts of mistakes for the rest of their existence.

But I come to games to enjoy them. Not to hear some sniveling haters bitch about our boys more than they encourage them or use words that implies they hate them more than the opposing team. If you do that and I hear you, I will suggest that you move to the opposing ream suporters section.

It make me sick to my stomach hearing the whiny complainers.

:rant:

jabbronies
08-16-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm one of these supporters that pookie speaks about.

I was on Vitti's case the whole game. I even made up a chant for him based on the old Rohan Ricketts fucking wicked chant.

Pablo Vitii...Fucking shitty.

As for the rest of the game. I'll groan and moan in disgust when a player fucks up - even if we're up 5-0. But when they do something good, no matter how small the task, I cheer them.

Oldtimer
08-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Anyone who follows the other MLS clubs and not just TFC will soon realize that all MLS clubs have ups and downs, scoreless streaks, players who make stupid mistakes, and play in games with refs who are half-blind.

It's not that TFC is a remarkably bad club, it's just that MLS is a salary-capped, lower budget league, with a certain degree of mediocrity and parity.

As it has been noted, the players would be somewhere else if they didn't make the occasional mistake. Accept it for what it is and stop comparing TFC to EPL clubs, and you'll be fine. :)

rocker
08-16-2009, 03:17 PM
If I hear a "supporter" rag on our team more than the opposing team, then I think that you are just a cynical whiner.

Yup. TFC makes mistakes. Sometimes we make lots of them. News flash - TFC is going to make losts of mistakes for the rest of their existence.

But I come to games to enjoy them. Not to hear some sniveling haters bitch about our boys more than they encourage them or use words that implies they hate them more than the opposing team. If you do that and I hear you, I will suggest that you move to the opposing ream suporters section.

It make me sick to my stomach hearing the whiny complainers.

good rant!

I think all the hateful comments and hate energy should be reserved for the opposition.

I think it's fun as hell too to heckle the opposition at every opportunity.

I dunno if people think yelling at our own guys will "make them play better" but I think it's probably better to make our house more intimidating for the opposition than for our own players.

When a TFC player screws up, I think he probably knows he made a mistake and doesn't need to be told it right there. Cummins also has the players watching video supplied by the video tech guy, so they know what they did wrong if they didn't at the time. No need to emphasize the negative in-game. When De Ro flubbed that one-on-one, he knew he flubbed it. He doesn't need people heckling him about it.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-16-2009, 03:47 PM
When he said that, he wasn't suggesting Canada play their games in Connecticut. He was likely insinuating he'd rather play in Saputo Stadium, for example. A stadium with actual grass.

And it was great that he said it, because he was publicly calling out the shitty carpet at BMO Field. I can't believe that THIS is your major beef with the guy.

- Scott

Connecticut might be better then in Quebec..as that game in Montreal had more Honduran fans then Canadian... our surface is what is is..
he needs to deal with it.

Roogsy
08-16-2009, 03:55 PM
I agree with the comments from Pookie, Shakes, Domina8r and Parky.

I have no idea how anyone can call ragging on players any type of "support" and I am tired of it. Especially the douchebags in the south stands that are all over our own players warming up. Disgusting. That will motivate them right? Suuuuuure... :rolleyes:

ensco
08-16-2009, 04:19 PM
I don't like it either.

I'm watching the game. I'm into the game. If I've got a criticism of a player, I'm muttering to my friend or daughter...

People yelling like that at players are not into the game at all.

Don't hate me for this, but I don't necessarily know the chants either , for the same reason.

Shakes McQueen
08-16-2009, 06:07 PM
I don't like it either.

I'm watching the game. I'm into the game. If I've got a criticism of a player, I'm muttering to my friend or daughter...

People yelling like that at players are not into the game at all.

Don't hate me for this, but I don't necessarily know the chants either , for the same reason.

Holy shit, we agree Ensco! :D

- Scott

Brooker
08-16-2009, 06:30 PM
I can understand the annoyance of having some idiot behind you telling DeRo he sucks or just plain being a douche. i'd be pissed off, too.

it makes it harder to go to a game and support the team in the way you want to support it.... not worrying the slightest about what anybody else is doing.

then theres the petty shit a lot of people LOVE to complain about. sure, if i really paid attention to what everybody around me was doing, i'm sure i could make a new thread after every single game pointing out why I didn't agree with it and how irritating it was.

but since it's a waste of mine and other peoples time, all i ask is just don't knock over my beer, fall onto me (unless its a goal), or yell completely stupid shit, and I'll have a good day at BMO.

Blazer
08-16-2009, 06:43 PM
people are stupid, just a fact of life!!!

+ 1 !

Tonyd
08-16-2009, 08:31 PM
This is amazing that someone honestly believes if you yell at a player you are truly not a supporter! I have watched games in Europe and when their team makes a mistake their fans let them have it. When Barca last year beat Real Madrid 6-2 do you think the fans sat there and said nothing!

The only beef I have with TFC is not how they play but what they are forced to play on (artificial turf). No professional football team should play on that pitch...it takes away the ability to truly create those amazing cross field passes. How many times have you seen a pass across the pitch and the ball skips forcing the player to overcompensate. MLSE has the money to do the right thing and the City should back off and allow the investment to occur.

Maple Leaf Red
08-16-2009, 08:36 PM
This is amazing that someone honestly believes if you yell at a player you are truly not a supporter! I have watched games in Europe and when their team makes a mistake their fans let them have it. When Barca last year beat Real Madrid 6-2 do you think the fans sat there and said nothing!

The only beef I have with TFC is not how they play but what they are forced to play on (artificial turf). No professional football team should play on that pitch...it takes away the ability to truly create those amazing cross field passes. How many times have you seen a pass across the pitch and the ball skips forcing the player to overcompensate. MLSE has the money to do the right thing and the City should back off and allow the investment to occur.
Were the Barca fans on their team? Because that would be the equivalent.

It's not so much that people shouldn't complain but they should at least a. have some idea what they are talking about and b. maybe shut up for a bit instead of going non-stop.

I have a mother or her son that sit behind me and all game, literally non-stop, they ask for stupid plays to be made, criticise every play almost regardless of the play, and never stop. It's shrill and a pain in the ass to have to listen to for 90 minutes especially because they have no idea what they are talking about.

If you feel like doing that think for a second that maybe you can keep your frustrations to yourself and maybe no one else gives a shit what you think.

And more importantly, can we get snipers to take out whoever starts the West Side Stand Up chant? That's something that actually needs to be addressed.

Tonyd
08-16-2009, 08:48 PM
I feel for you when you have idiots near you yelling and they make no sense!

Myself, I go to every game I possibly can and enjoy watching this great game!

I was at the Real Madrid game and it amazed me that in my section there were TFC fans complaining and critizing that TFC was no match to Real Madrid. No kidding but imagine being on the pitch playing against this team talking about an amazing high!

I agree with your view on taking out the west side stand up chant...what a waste of time!

james
08-16-2009, 10:05 PM
ya i think at times we give to much negativity to players on our team.

Oblio2
08-16-2009, 10:10 PM
I'll groan and moan in disgust when a player fucks up - even if we're up 5-0. But when they do something good, no matter how small the task, I cheer them.

Exactly...nothing wrong with that

Roogsy
08-16-2009, 10:10 PM
And more importantly, can we get snipers to take out whoever starts the West Side Stand Up chant? That's something that actually needs to be addressed.

3 seasons in I can't believe that

a) it's still being sung

b) the west side actually listens

Worst

Chant

Ever

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-16-2009, 10:18 PM
No matter what sport or team anyone follows there will always be one player/manager/gm etc that will not meet your expectations...for the last 4 seasons
i wanted Gordon Stachan out as Celtic manager, never wanted him hired after MON left. he won 3 titles on the trot...but he had to go....the negativity on our team happens when players do make the silliest of mistakes, bad passes, having a breakway shoot from 6-7 years out and missing the entire net...this is what's driving fans nuts. it would be nice if we could play two-three leagues games in a row of good solid football like against DC minus the gaffs.

Maple Leaf Red
08-16-2009, 10:40 PM

a) it's still being sung

Worst

Chant

Ever

The response is fading (thank God) but I want to meet someone who thinks that it is a good chant.

druid
08-17-2009, 09:08 AM
While I think its OK to mention politely (or better yet with a bit of humor) to a constant complainer to keep it down a bit, it's worth while remember it takes all types to have a decent sized football support in this town.

Besides, telling someone how act and feel at a football game is about as practical as telling someone what facial expression to have during an orgasm.

mmmikey
08-17-2009, 12:02 PM
ppl who mindlessly criticize all game are as bad as someone who mindlessly cheers... it's like those cheerleaders i saw getting the crowd hyped up for an opposing teams corner kick one day. i couldn't believe it... (insert cheerleader joke)

everybody needs to exercise moderation. just like if barrett does another of his brutal misses im sure u guys don't start some sort of red white dynamite chant. that's intelligent support. the dude who yells out u suck barrett after that play is perfectly normal. if he continues to yell it for the next 60 minutes, he needs a slap.

spark
08-17-2009, 03:45 PM

a) it's still being sung

Worst

Chant

Ever

At least you're not in the North East corner where they keep doing THE WAVE.
AND GIVE YOU SHIT FOR NOT DOING IT!

Sonny Cheeba
08-17-2009, 03:56 PM
i'm pretty sure i yelled at Ruiz a few times last year when he was being a pylon.

didn't call him a douchebag, just trying to wake the fucker up.

sometimes players need this, to know that we're watching them. otherwise they may take us for granted.

yelling "you suck" doesn't really help though.

FluSH
08-17-2009, 04:14 PM
i'm pretty sure i yelled at Ruiz a few times last year when he was being a pylon.

didn't call him a douchebag, just trying to wake the fucker up.

sometimes players need this, to know that we're watching them. otherwise they may take us for granted.

yelling "you suck" doesn't really help though.

Ruiz is like the only exception here... His brief presence tarnished our colours and Jersey... I mean I don't think anyone ever liked the guy before, during, or after TFC.

Shakes McQueen
08-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Ruiz is like the only exception here... His brief presence tarnished our colours and Jersey... I mean I don't think anyone ever liked the guy before, during, or after TFC.

Same with Cunningham. I consider there to be a difference between players who play hard, and players who clearly either a) don't want to be here, or b) don't care.

- Scott

denime
08-17-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm one of these supporters that pookie speaks about.

I was on Vitti's case the whole game. I even made up a chant for him based on the old Rohan Ricketts fucking wicked chant.

Pablo Vitii...Fucking shitty.

As for the rest of the game. I'll groan and moan in disgust when a player fucks up - even if we're up 5-0. But when they do something good, no matter how small the task, I cheer them.

I have to agree with G.Wheeler when it comes to Vitti.

G.Wheeler wrote today a very good point that can be applied for many whining fans at BMO Field:

Vitti again showed a lot of on-field class against D.C., both taking on players and in distribution. Those who question his soccer acumen don't understand the value of what he brings. Or in our case:
Those who whine and bitch all the time don't understand soccer in the first place,other wise they would be on the pitch playing or coaching the same players they are bitching against all the time.

Last time I checked none of us is playing or coaching MLS team so instead of bitching all day long,try to cheer your team or certain player and help them to get out of the slump.

Just because many of us following European leagues doesn't make us more knowledgeable about soccer than the guys on the pitch or the bench.

Now :topic:

Shakes McQueen
08-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Just because many of us following European leagues doesn't make us more knowledgeable about soccer than the guys on the pitch or the bench.

Does that logic also apply to criticism of the job Mo or Cummins is doing?

- Scott

torontocelt
08-17-2009, 05:35 PM
No matter what sport or team anyone follows there will always be one player/manager/gm etc that will not meet your expectations...for the last 4 seasons
i wanted Gordon Stachan out as Celtic manager, never wanted him hired after MON left. he won 3 titles on the trot...but he had to go....the negativity on our team happens when players do make the silliest of mistakes, bad passes, having a breakway shoot from 6-7 years out and missing the entire net...this is what's driving fans nuts. it would be nice if we could play two-three leagues games in a row of good solid football like against DC minus the gaffs.

Strachan was a successful Celtic manager, he lead us to the last 16 of the champions league twice in three years, that is an unbelieveable accomplishment and something MON did not do even with a better squad. Winning three in a row and almost a fourth was also a great achievement. Was it time for him to go, will yes but no one can deny that he got results on the pitch during his time at the club and for me that is what counts the most. I don't really understand where you are coming from that he never matched your expectations, what was he meant to do win the champions league?

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Strachan was a successful Celtic manager, he lead us to the last 16 of the champions league twice in three years, that is an unbelieveable accomplishment and something MON did not do even with a better squad. Winning three in a row and almost a fourth was also a great achievement. Was it time for him to go, will yes but no one can deny that he got results on the pitch during his time at the club and for me that is what counts the most. I don't really understand where you are coming from that he never matched your expectations, what was he meant to do win the champions league?

why not? what pissed me off and a lot of other Celts was that the team was not entertaing enough..it was some times drab watching the Hoops under Strachan, SUre MON had more talent to work with, But Strachan refused to play some players, JVH as an example on a regulat basis...I hope stachan finds work soon...prediction new SCOTLAND boss once the Scots finish their WCQ campaign, but not as a club boss

torontocelt
08-17-2009, 06:20 PM
why not? what pissed me off and a lot of other Celts was that the team was not entertaing enough..it was some times drab watching the Hoops under Strachan, SUre MON had more talent to work with, But Strachan refused to play some players, JVH as an example on a regulat basis...I hope stachan finds work soon...prediction new SCOTLAND boss once the Scots finish their WCQ campaign, but not as a club boss

Ha, ha. I take it you are joking about Celtic winning the champs league as most people will know this would be practically an impossible task nowadays. There is way too much money in the game now that would dictate it would take nothing short of a minor miracle for Celtic to win the European cup again. Strachan did play JVH a lot it is just he was injured a hell of a lot. I dont think it can be doubted that he did consider JVH and McDonald his best front two pairing when JVH wasn't injured. I would take Strachan over Burley any time, Burley does not have a clue.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Ha, ha. I take it you are joking about Celtic winning the champs league as most people will know this would be practically an impossible task nowadays. There is way too much money in the game now that would dictate it would take nothing short of a minor miracle for Celtic to win the European cup again. Strachan did play JVH a lot it is just he was injured a hell of a lot. I dont think it can be doubted that he did not consider JVH and McDonald his best front two pairing when JVH wasn't injured. I would take Strachan over Burley any time, Burley does not have a clue.

it was a partial joke...i believe on any given day any team can beat any team..ok for a spl side to win in europe would take a MIRACLe.. Burley
is done..unless Scotland can perform a miracle down the stretch and get help..cant see them beating the Dutch,

TFC115
08-17-2009, 07:44 PM

ALL FOR ONE

Just wondering..... im surprised that the anyone said anything cause rows 1-11 don't sing or make fucken noise. Tell anyone near there if they don't want to sing or even in some cases not stand up,do us a favour and tell them to get the fuck out and go sit at mid. Sorry to say like that but rows 12 and up are getting fed up.

denime
08-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Just wondering..... im surprised that the anyone said anything cause rows 1-11 don't sing or make fucken noise. Tell anyone near there if they don't want to sing or even in some cases not stand up,do us a favour and tell them to get the fuck out and go sit at mid. Sorry to say like that but rows 12 and up are getting fed up.

To be honest with you Ageroo and I gave up.This year is worst than previous two seasons.I'm not sure if I saw same ppl behind me twice this year,and we are in the first row.They are few guys in the 2nd row who are trying bur 3-11 are simply scalpers seats,at least most of them.
WTF are we suppose to do,they are tourists,and even if we try to carry on the chant from 111-113,there is always "west side stand up chant" that kills the joy to watch the game let alone cheer and support.
We can hear you guys in upper rows chanting,but believe me they look at us as we just landed from Mars or Moon,every time we try to follow.

Kaz
08-17-2009, 09:33 PM
you know it was funny when DeRo missed that shot going wide I was just in shock.
I was trying to explain to my friend that he is actually one of the best players on the team and he was just having a bad game.

I must have been annoying the fellow in front of me, with all my half accurate statements, (as I'm used to watching on tv with the internet right there, I kept getting players mixed up(the gambians mostly)) so he turned as I was trying to explain he my just be frustrated with the turf. He turned and said "he's just having a bad game"

which is refreshing, I love comedians that love the game and are willing to say hey, it's just a bad game, no need to play the turf in the perfect Canadian way :)

either way. It was a great game to watch, and no one should be pissing on DeRo, or any other player, for one bad game, it's when they have 20 bad games you can start pissing on them.

oh is there anyway the FO can make Supporter section tickets day of sales with a limit of like 4 per person to limit that and make sure supporters actually get seats? Seems silly that if Scalpers are picking up the tickets like they are, that only season ticket holding supporters are actually at the games.

That being said, I have no problems with them for the midfield sections, it's a great place to sit and watch the game great view. :)

TFC115
08-17-2009, 10:14 PM
To be honest with you Ageroo and I gave up.This year is worst than previous two seasons.I'm not sure if I saw same ppl behind me twice this year,and we are in the first row.They are few guys in the 2nd row who are trying bur 3-11 are simply scalpers seats,at least most of them.
WTF are we suppose to do,they are tourists,and even if we try to carry on the chant from 111-113,there is always "west side stand up chant" that kills the joy to watch the game let alone cheer and support.
We can hear you guys in upper rows chanting,but believe me they look at us as we just landed from Mars or Moon,every time we try to follow.

Understandable.... if you like, you and the ones who chant and sing and move up to row 16...there are a few people up there that never show up,plus there are like 15 people in are row that don't even have tickets in the section. To bad that rows 3-11 couldn't be filled with passionate fans, that people would die for those seats....would make the section really loud.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-17-2009, 10:15 PM

same here front row of 114 is the same...very seldom do i see the same people twice from seats 1-7 im in 5 every game...try to sing and chant but gets f**king depressing when im the only one doing in..and i cant sing to save a life!! i need cover.. two seats to the left 6-7 are corperate giveaways i wish the seat owners would just go away from BMO and to go rogers center or cristie pits..anywhere but near a football pitch. or with luck the new north section next year..

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-17-2009, 10:18 PM
you know it was funny when DeRo missed that shot going wide I was just in shock.
I was trying to explain to my friend that he is actually one of the best players on the team and he was just having a bad game.

I must have been annoying the fellow in front of me, with all my half accurate statements, (as I'm used to watching on tv with the internet right there, I kept getting players mixed up(the gambians mostly)) so he turned as I was trying to explain he my just be frustrated with the turf. He turned and said "he's just having a bad game"

which is refreshing, I love comedians that love the game and are willing to say hey, it's just a bad game, no need to play the turf in the perfect Canadian way :)

either way. It was a great game to watch, and no one should be pissing on DeRo, or any other player, for one bad game, it's when they have 20 bad games you can start pissing on them.

oh is there anyway the FO can make Supporter section tickets day of sales with a limit of like 4 per person to limit that and make sure supporters actually get seats? Seems silly that if Scalpers are picking up the tickets like they are, that only season ticket holding supporters are actually at the games.

That being said, I have no problems with them for the midfield sections, it's a great place to sit and watch the game great view. :)

or could the FO make sure one two seats per person/business in the supporters section none of the 4-6 seats and get supporrters in there!!
this is not going after a family of 4-6 people just the companies!!

TFC115
08-17-2009, 10:41 PM
same here front row of 114 is the same...very seldom do i see the same people twice from seats 1-7 im in 5 every game...try to sing and chant but gets f**king depressing when im the only one doing in..and i cant sing to save a life!! i need cover.. two seats to the left 6-7 are corperate giveaways i wish the seat owners would just go away from BMO and to go rogers center or cristie pits..anywhere but near a football pitch. or with luck the new north section next year..

Hey same thing applys....if you sing and chant come up to rows 13 and up 115 (behind the net) come up and we will make room

Musse
08-18-2009, 04:53 PM
I agree with the comments from Pookie, Shakes, Domina8r and Parky.

I have no idea how anyone can call ragging on players any type of "support" and I am tired of it. Especially the douchebags in the south stands that are all over our own players warming up. Disgusting. That will motivate them right? Suuuuuure... :rolleyes:

ur right roogsy, but v00..(w/e his name was) has a point in that...some people put their hands on their head in agony after dero misses a 1on1 with the keeper, and others implode becuz they know that should have been a goal. Its the notion that we have standards for our players no matter the league they're in, but cheering them when they just commited a football farse or swearing at dero when the team is leading because of his efforts...thats stupid.

support & criticize your team....just make sure it isnt blindly.

v00d00daddy
08-18-2009, 05:12 PM
This tends to be a touchy subject for me so I'm gonna do my best not to make it personal or take anything personally.

At the game, I'm the type of guy who watches the game and reacts to what is happening on the field. Every now and again I'll join into a chant or song and I've even been known to start a few. I'm just not the type of guy who is going to sing, chant and jump up and down all game. I commend those who enjoy doing it, but its not for me.

I find it really hard to concentrate on the what is happening on the field while singing and dancing. Maybe I'm not a multi tasking kinda guy.

That being said, those of you who love chanting and all of that....coolio...keep it up. Do what makes you happy.

As for being vocally critical of your own players....there is a time and a place. When a guy is playing like shit or makes a really stupid play it sometimes elicits a response from me. I don't boo players or yell out that they're shit. (except for one player....those of you who know me know who that player is)

I think it's totally understandble for a fan to groan or yell in disgust when one of our guys shits the bed (like DeRo did on that one v. one with the keeper)

Does that mean that you yell at him all game? No, of course not.

I just find that if we're always cheering on the guys on the field the support will lose meaning. I mean, if we're cheering and yelling in support, regardless of what happens on the field, what's the point? We could watch the game with blindfolds on and it wouldn't matter. Not the right message to send in my opinon.

So...don't berate our own players but don't pat them on the back for playing like shit either. That's my view at least.

Kaz
08-18-2009, 05:20 PM
with DeRo though it was just a bad game, he will make those mistakes, and sadly when he is off, he is really off.

Vitti was massively entertaining, the little exchanges between him and the other mids were great down the west side.

I saw nothing minus the poor finishing by DeRo to complain about in the game. Everyone played well, even DeRo, even though he had a bad game

celt-nick
08-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Hey same thing applys....if you sing and chant come up to rows 13 and up 115 (behind the net) come up and we will make room

Yup. People are friendly if want to be loud up there! If the front rows in 115 were like thehigher ones the section would be awsome! that being said feel free to come up a few rowa and sing!

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-18-2009, 10:26 PM
i tend to get over heated at football matches when a player does something wrong,say a bad pass, missed penalty,missed breakaway...do i hate the person no,
its just the passion of the game...I do not want TFC to become like Leaf fans and just accept shitty efforts from anyone on the team..like i said we have the Leafs for that. we just got to hope the boys play the same way on this 3 game road swing as they did with DC, if we do i can see us returning with 5,6, maybe 7 points,,,fingers crossed.