Inklink
08-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Nana! MOTM!

Cashcleaner
08-15-2009, 05:03 PM
3 points from DC looks good on us. :D

deacon
08-15-2009, 05:04 PM
props to cummins for having courage to go young.These young guns are our future, and it looks bright. Also props to Mo, look at that draft class now (Cronin,White, Frei) ar you kidding me?

jloome
08-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Solid stuff.

Ratings:

Frei - 7
Serioux - 7
Attakora - 9
Gomez - 6.5
Brennan - 7
Robbo - 6
Sanyang - 7.5
Cronin - 8
Vitti - 6.5
Dero - 7
White - 8
Gerba - 6
Gala - 5
Guevara - 7.5

SmokedPanda
08-15-2009, 05:05 PM
no hand ball action by wynne late in the box today :scarf:

Dunkers
08-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Not sure if i agree with OBW as player of the game, had a great game no doubt, but Nana was a beast at the back, and set up that OBW shot!

jloome
08-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Attakora just totally owned Emilio and Gomez on multiple occasions. Pretty dominant performance.

Bender
08-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Solid stuff.

Ratings:

Frei - 7
Serioux - 7
Attakora - 9
Gomez - 6.5
Brennan - 7
Robbo - 6
Sanyang - 7.5
Cronin - 8
Vitti - 6.5
Dero - 7
White - 8
Gerba - 6
Gala - 5
Guevara - 7.5

really? :skep:

rocktml
08-15-2009, 05:14 PM
vitti 6.5???

robert32
08-15-2009, 05:20 PM
dero 7?? he was prety awful tonight, definatly not better then vitti.. even though he scored

Redcoe15
08-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Solid! One of the better performances by TFC this season. I liked how they didn't let DC United back into the game, as they've done too often against the opposition this season. And props to O'Brien White for that goal at the 65 minute mark. Here's hoping there's more to come from him.

TFC07
08-15-2009, 05:21 PM
vitti 6.5???

Agreed. He had a good game. Sure he got dispossess couple of times, but overall he played well today (especially in 2nd half).

Nuvinho
08-15-2009, 05:21 PM
sanyang is gonna be the type of player who you hate playing against, but want him on your team.

He will probably lead the league in Yellow, but will cause opponents to take bad fouls. He is a hard tackler (as per Mo).

deacon
08-15-2009, 05:27 PM
story of the game is youth movement.Average of starting 11 was 24.5 years old.Over the next few weeks it will get even younger.We're seeing a changing of the guard, there's plenty of reasons to be hopeful for a playoff spot

ArmenJBX
08-15-2009, 05:38 PM
DeRo, on the breakaway...the whole wide world to either side...

...and he Chad Barrett's it!

TFC OZZ
08-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Great performance, that was the first game in a LONG time that I actually felt like our back line was strong (I'm not a fan of Garcia). It was great to have the two African guys in the game, I thought they challenged DC for balls in the air that our other players in those positions never would.

My one negative about this game was the fact that the stretcher was brought out three times, and Sanyang was even carried off on it; and yet everyone was fine. I like to win, but I like to win with class.

TFC07
08-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Great performance, that was the first game in a LONG time that I actually felt like our back line was strong (I'm not a fan of Garcia). It was great to have the two African guys in the game, I thought they challenged DC for balls in the air that our other players in those positions never would.

My one negative about this game was the fact that the stretcher was brought out three times, and Sanyang was even carried off on it; and yet everyone was fine. I like to win, but I like to win with class.

Good luck with that in our region (CONCACAF).

Lucky Strike
08-15-2009, 06:02 PM

Yes, I was a bit vexed by that too, Sanyang specifically. I know he's trying to waste time, but goes down three times? I don't like that.

What Frei was doing (and has been doing all season) is very smart. He time-wastes but does it in a way where the referee can't give him a yellow. For instance, on a headed ball back to him, he doesn't pick it up right away; he stops it at his feet and waits. And because the ball is still "live", the referee can't give him a yellow for time-wasting. The opponent is therefore forced to run (or jog) at Frei to force him to pick it up. Then, he takes the time he can (like all keepers would) before kicking it back into play but doesn't take too long so he's not booked in that moment.

Doing that is smart, a keeper going to his left and pretending to not have seen that the ball kid on the right gave him a ball is smart, casually letting the ball roll away from an opponent who got a FK or throw-in is smart, nonchalantly walking within the 10 yard radius on a FK (but not too close) is smart, going down repeatedly like you had your legs blown off and having the stretcher come on is cheap. Guevera is also guilty of this sometimes as well.

Bobo
08-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Dominating performance while playing a couple newbs and with our best player off his game. Great to see.

Ataxia
08-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Todays game was impressive on some fronts (mostly on field) and disappointing off. On the field Attakora showed amazing potential, I was very happy to see his play. Overall I can't really complain very much about our side. There was some horendous mistakes made, but those same players made some big moves for us, Robbo and Dero standing out on that point.

Off the field though, I felt embarassed today. Whoever threw that beer at DC's keeper in the 2nd half made us all look like a bunch of idiots. We were winning for christs sake. He wasn't time waisting, or disrespecting any of our players, so where does this clown get off on this shit eating stunt? Completely unforgivable. Ontop of that, the tourists in 112 have got to stop, I missed the last 15 minutes of the game to a group of morons taking countless pictures of themselves "chanting", and trying to garner attention from everyone else around them. The guy is badgering me about getting into what he is trying to do, but all I want is to do exactly what he isn't, and that is watch the freaking game. This kind of shit has got to stop. /rant

I'll go back to creeping the forum now.

dag
08-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Just got back and about to eat supper, but I must say an absolutely vital 3 points won today. Despite our poor passing and ball control (thank God Robinson was removed at half), the back four were pretty solid; De Ro was brilliant; White was very good; and, perhaps most important, DC United didn't even show up.

PJC
08-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Good game tonight. TFC really needed the 3 points from this game. I had a fuckin blast in 112 today. Nevertheless, the lads need to push forward and focus on the remaining games left in the season. We need to make the playoffs. I'm glad we picked up the victory today.

NANA!

dag
08-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Also, one other point - if ever there was a game to be played at night, this was it. Thank goodness I brought the sun block, which I liberally applied.

And a big thank you to all the hot babes who were so good as to bare lots of skin (especially the midriffs) this afternoon.
:topic:

gtaguy
08-15-2009, 07:02 PM
definetely the most solid performance of the season . I hope that cummins considers putting these players back in the lineup for next week. The new kids played thiers heart out and impressed me alot..

Can't say it enough Dero is a Killer
White showed his touch today to be a goal scorer. with time he will get better
Frei totally prepared.
Nana shows why he deserves to be a starter.
the two gambians wow am i ever impressed with thier maturity level.

And the stadium was packed and loud today cudos to all..

oh yeah and to all the really hot women showing thier midriffs.. a show both on and off the field.. :scarf::flare::scarf:

kitchener-TFC
08-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Solid stuff.

Ratings:

Frei - 7
Serioux - 7
Attakora - 9
Gomez - 6.5
Brennan - 7
Robbo - 6
Sanyang - 7.5
Cronin - 8
Vitti - 6.5
Dero - 7
White - 8
Gerba - 6
Gala - 5
Guevara - 7.5
I'd give White a 7. Sure he scored, but he was pretty invisible for most of the game. Vitti would get a 7.5 from me. Attakora a 9? Only? :p
At first, I wanted Dichio to come on for White at the half, but it's a good thing that he didn't :scarf:.

Yes, I was a bit vexed by that too, Sanyang specifically. I know he's trying to waste time, but goes down three times? I don't like that.

I agree. If Sanyang was playing for DC, he's the type of player that I'd hate.

On the topic of the whole Keno "thing", it made half time look like a circus.

billyfly
08-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Just got back from camping so missed the game but was able to hear all of it on the radio. It was unfortunate that the announcers were not letting the listening public in on all the talent in the stands.

colman1860
08-15-2009, 07:13 PM
I thought Cronin was a monster today. That cross to set up De Ro's goal - as good as we've seen from a TFC player. Also great ball control, and good tackling.

To echo what others have been saying in this thread - Attakora has become our best defender.

PS - Nobody will care, because we won. But why does Cummins take off a defensive mid for an injured attacking mid with a 1-0 lead??? And if he wants to do it, why not take off Sanyang (who was very weak in the first half and had already been cautioned) rather than Robbo, who is integral to our defense?

Super
08-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Fucking HOT AS HELL today. I had a case of heatstroke and lost most of the first half as I was hiding in the shade trying to get my freakin' vision back. Just brutal. But wonderful result, and very happy about the performance overall.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-15-2009, 07:18 PM
I thought Cronin was a monster today. That cross to set up De Ro's goal - as good as we've seen from a TFC player. Also great ball control, and good tackling.

To echo what others have been saying in this thread - Attakora has become our best defender.

PS - Nobody will care, because we won. But why does Cummins take off a defensive mid for an injured attacking mid with a 1-0 lead??? And if he wants to do it, why not take off Sanyang (who was very weak in the first half and had already been cautioned) rather than Robbo, who is integral to our defense?

Could of been the heat !!SCORCHER!!......CC showed he had alot of balls today..! IT gona open the eyes of alot of VETS!!......we have a few WOLVES who are ready and able!! The young guys showed alot of energy it was nice to see us hustle for the full 90!~

great result!

Fushida
08-15-2009, 07:21 PM
White was lazy and inefficient up to and after his goal. He was slow and did very little work all around. You see him standing around while DeRo chased ball after ball... made me sick. He was also slow to react to a lot of balls and passes. Signalled for passes that were unrealistic and didn't make good runs most of the time.. Sure he got a goal, but that doesn't excuse a shitty performance. At least Cummins kept him a while for that goal to happen... I would have pulled him after 60 minutes :rolleyes: Let's hope this is just getting over the rust.

Cronin was a beast, I agree... and let's not forget he was up and down the wing all day while everyone else seemed dead tired.

Robbo had one of his better days today IMO... was pretty strong on the tackle and was better than usual on the passing. Gomez was a beast also... I don't know why he deserves a lower rating than Nana or Serioux... the kid makes it all seem effortless.

stoked
08-15-2009, 07:22 PM

Robinson played like shite, Sanyang played well

rocker
08-15-2009, 07:24 PM
i loved Sanyang today... that guy broke up so many DC plays.

iansmcl
08-15-2009, 07:26 PM

I started saying thing around the tie Cronin sent a gorgeous cross to Chad for a goal... think it was against Columbus...: Cronin needs to start taking our corners (real corners, not stupid short corners) and our wide free kicks (where you're looking for a header... not a shot). Hell, let him take some of the straight on free kicks too, if Amado isn't available, he's got one hell of a shot... if he could ever get it on target!

TFC RealDeal RPB
08-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Solid stuff.

Ratings:

Frei - 7
Serioux - 7
Attakora - 9
Gomez - 6.5
Brennan - 7
Robbo - 6
Sanyang - 7.5
Cronin - 8
Vitti - 6.5
Dero - 7
White - 8
Gerba - 6
Gala - 5
Guevara - 7.5

Gomez- 6.5 - I think he had a good game, made some good tackle and nice passing iwould give him a 7.5

Brennan 7 - I think he's time is coming to a end,he made at least 5 or 6 bad pass' to nobody, Gomez had to keep covering for him cause he was out of postion and he's to slow.I gave him a 6

Robbo 6 - I also think he's time is up as well, he doesn't run with the ball at he's feet make's bad pass' all game ( well the half he played) . I'd rather see Sanyang or Cronin or Guevara and tell Robbo to take a set.I'd give him a 4.5

White 8 - he took he's goal very well and put it in the net , but i don't think he was a 8. most of the game he didn't do much up front,had a few good run's but nothing big.I think he still need's more time and he will be a big player for us. I give him a 7

Fushida
08-15-2009, 07:28 PM

Robinson was bossing in the first half... Sanyang did well in the second. I don't see how that equates to Robbo being shit? I'm usually critical of Robbo, but he did well today. I'd guess it might be the heat. He looked gassed by about the 35th minute.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-15-2009, 07:30 PM
D.C. United coach Tom Soehn delivered a simple message to his team after a disappointing loss: Hard work will trump talent every time!!!

The man speaks TRUTH!

Maple Leaf Red
08-15-2009, 07:38 PM
White was lazy and inefficient up to and after his goal. He was slow and did very little work all around. You see him standing around while DeRo chased ball after ball... made me sick. He was also slow to react to a lot of balls and passes. Signalled for passes that were unrealistic and didn't make good runs most of the time.. Sure he got a goal, but that doesn't excuse a shitty performance. At least Cummins kept him a while for that goal to happen... I would have pulled him after 60 minutes :rolleyes: Let's hope this is just getting over the rust.

I don't know that I'd be nearly that harsh. It was his first start in the MLS and he showed a lot of good things (trying to control high passes, good strength on the ball) before highlighting his composure and finishing on his goal.

colman1860
08-15-2009, 07:39 PM

Sanyang was nothing short of useless in the first half, though he improved after the break. Robinson's distribution was shaky as usual, but defensively he was strong. DC had one chance all half (which was Attakora/Cronin's fault for not dealing with a cross to Simms).

tlear
08-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Great game, was fun as hell to watch and last 10 mins were not scary :)

Gomez and Sanyang are great. Gomez especially, excellent defender. Sanyang is one dirty player haha I love it!

Captain Croatia
08-15-2009, 07:45 PM

Agreed, Robinson looked like he was passing with a blindfold on.

Fushida
08-15-2009, 07:47 PM
I don't know that I'd be nearly that harsh. It was his first start in the MLS and he showed a lot of good things (trying to control high passes, good strength on the ball) before highlighting his composure and finishing on his goal.

That's what I'm hoping too. Could be just the jitters of a first start. Of course it looks promising that he scored on his debut. Just sayin the rest of his game today was lacking for all the hype. (Julius James also scored on his debut did he not?)

Agreed, Robinson looked like he was passing with a blindfold on.

Doesn't he always? :D

Dirk Diggler
08-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Props to Cummins for giving the youngins the chance to prove their worth. I honestly did not think that he would be brave enough to do it but thankfully the horrendous play of some of our "veterans" forced his hand. Sanyang, Nana and Gomez ... all tremendous today. Frei ... not much to be said there ... he was the same old Frei today ... consistent. And last but not least, Cronin was a indeed a beast ... going forward, he is the single player I'm looking forward to develop the most and he is proving his worth every game. Cronin is going to be our franchise player in a year or two ... no doubt about it. I'm extremely excited about him. Thankfully between Cronin and Sanyang, we won't have to put up with Robbo past this season.

TFCtoMUFC
08-15-2009, 08:05 PM
The heat was brutal and the scarf lasted all of 5 seconds, then it was used to block the sun on top of my hat. Great game, still am not a fan of Pablo Vitti (he cant score), but I really like the way Attakora plays, hopefully we see him in the line-up way more down the stretch, saw a lot of DCU fans at the beginning but as the game wore on they seemed to disappear, interesting...

windsorlad111
08-15-2009, 08:15 PM
it was too hot. good result though.

Oldtimer
08-15-2009, 08:17 PM
My own thoughts on the game:

OBW is the real deal. His goal showed a lot of skill and composure. I expect, like Mo's other masterful draft picks, that he will turn out to be a really good player and bag a number for us. Like Cronin and Frei, he is MLS-ready, just needing a few matches to settle in.

Disappointed in Robbo's performance. Although he made a number of good plays, he also gave the ball away a lot. He certainly wasn't the rock that he was in the first two seasons. Like some are saying, his playing days may be coming to an end. Maybe his best role will be as a sub. Cummins showed a lot of courage in subbing in an attacking midfielder like Guevara (who played an excellent game, by the way).

The other youngsters were impressive.

Jimmy B. is much better playing DM, than all the way back. Not a perfect game, but decent enough.

Cummin's choices, formation, substitutes, etc. I think he did very well, and had obviously studied DCU enough to exploit their weaknesses.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Attakora is getting to be a class above the other players on the roster, I wonder how long before bigger teams come sniffing around him? Also, correct me if I'm wrong, we've never lost a game where he's played at rightback.

Lucky Strike
08-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Today's ratings:

7 - Frei: Didn't have too much to do but was solid all around and came out effectively to slidekick the ball away on the one moment of true danger. Intelligently wasted time as well.
6.5 - Gomez: Wasn't solicited that much so we didn't get to see much of him, but he did what he had to do when called upon.
6.5 - Serioux: You can say much of the same as Gomez.
7 - Attakora: Glad to have him back in the line-up, he was his usual excellent self muscling players off the ball, blocking crosses, getting his head to the ball and all those good things.
5.5 - Robinson: Wasn't as bad as he's been lately, but he's not the Robbo of old. Though he made some important tackles, he continues to give the ball away with alarming regularity. Hopefully this is an in-between performance on his way back to stardom.
6 - Sanyang: Was pretty invisible in the first half, but when Robinson came off and he had the DM position to himself, he made himself felt, breaking up a number of plays. Didn't appreciate his theatrics at the end though. I know he's trying to waste time to secure the win, but don't do it like this. I'd deduct 1 point from his rating if I considered things other than just match performance.
6 - Brennan: Happy to see him at LM again (his natural position - although after 2½ years of LB, that can be considered a natural position too) where he's much more effective. He made some good passes and crosses linking the play from the back to the front and came back to aid in defence when needed.
6.5 - Cronin: Delivered that excellent cross that led to the DeRosario goal. An otherwise good performance without mistakes.
6.5 - Vitti: Some fancy footwork and a key pass or two today. I think he's finally found his role with the team and I'd like to have him back next year, but only if we can chop his 300K salary in half.
7 - DeRosario: Got a goal, worked tremendously hard but screwed a few of his shots today, placing a glass ceiling on the rating today.
6.5 - White: Grabbed a good goal but wasn't as involved as I'd hoped. But remember, he is coming off a seriously injury and just made the leap to the professional level. If he can chip in a goal here and there during the rest of the season (say another 2 or 3 if he gets regular time; 1 or 2 with limited time), he'll have met my expectations. We'll get to see him much better next year.

6 - Guevara (on for Robinson, 46th): A pretty nondescript performance but no errors and he did play mid-week.
5.5 - Gerba (on for White, 73rd): Pretty invisible but he is carrying a knock, which might explain this.
NR - Gala (on for Brennan, 88th): All I saw was one misplaced cross into the stands. Can't do much with this little time.

7 - Cummins: Give him credit for correctly putting faith in the youngsters. It has me very excited about the future of the club. Correctly took off the ineffective Robbo at half time though it surprised me to see an attacking player come in for a defensive one when leading but then again, it encourages going forward for a second goal and not simply sit back. Dichio could easily have come in instead of Gerba who is nursing a knock. Getting a good 15-20 minutes is exactly the type of thing Danny could have done. Unless Cummins is keeping him for a start next game or didn't want to risk him when leading by two.

6.5 - Refereeing: No major complaints aside from the botched offside call where Frei had to rush out.

MOTM - DeRosario. The team revolves around this guy, he got the first goal and set the tone for the rest of the match I thought. Attakora is a close, close 2nd. You could make a case for him to be MOTM and be completely justified.

Most impressed by opposition's - Christian Gomez: Though no one really shined today, he can still make some good passes at an advanced age.

Lucky Strike
08-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Haven't done ratings in a while but as there seems to be some disagreements over ratings, here is the scale I use (which is also commonly seen over in Europe).

10 - A legendary performance, the kind that people will remember and talk about for years to come. DeRosario's hat trick (and one assist) in the Montreal Miracle comes the closest to meeting this criterion.

9 - A performance that will be the one to stand out when you reflect on the season at the end. Something like 3 goals (for a forward), numerous key passes or tackles (for midfielders or DMs respectively), or limiting the opponent's forwards to half a scoring chance during the game (for a defender) will net you this rating.

8 - An excellent performance where the player earning this rating will in all likelyhood be your MOTM.

7 - A good and solid performance with an instance or two of brilliance.

6 - An average, nondescript performance characterized by no flashy plays but no glaring errors either.

5 - This is basically the same as a "6" but punctuated by one or two obvious errors.

4 - An all-around poor match, where nothing was contributed apart from errors, the kind that gets you substituted at half-time.

3 - An awful performance.

2 - A diabolical performance, where you question why the player was signed if you see more than one of these per year.

1 - The player looked like he was under the curse of a witch doctor. The team would have been better playing down a man.

0 - Why is this man a professional footballer?

Check out my ratings for today's match: http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?p=670989#post670989

ArmenJBX
08-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Nope, MOTM is Attakora and should be an 8 in my book. Robinson was a 4. And to be fair, I used to hate Attakora last season, now he's one of the best on the team IMO. Looking back, today's performance solidified that for me.

Nodoubtguy
08-15-2009, 08:30 PM
couldn't this just have gone in the post game thread since people are already rating players there??

jazzy
08-15-2009, 08:33 PM
dero 7?? he was prety awful tonight, definatly not better then vitti.. even though he scored

When I read these remarks I wonder if I was at the same game as some of you. First Deroe ran all day as usual, yes, he miscued occsionally, but he had numerous runs at full speed and taking on the defender in many instances won the ball and created his own chances without any support esp from Vitti. I like Vitti, but today he was basicaly in a trance..so many times he was out of position not defending or ready for a pass, He should hace been substituted by Dichio...at the 65 min mark...(or Gala)

jazzy
08-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Attakora is getting to be a class above the other players on the roster, I wonder how long before bigger teams come sniffing around him? Also, correct me if I'm wrong, we've never lost a game where he's played at rightback.

Shit great point,,,,a dagger in my heart,,,,,If we keep our youger players there is hope yet, they scare teams with their determination and unpredictability......lets hope MLSE doesn`t just see a selling commodity

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Did Gala do anything worth noting in his sub. appearance? I had to duck out 10 min. early to make my GO Train (which was ironically ten minutes late).

jazzy
08-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Did Gala do anything worth noting in his sub. appearance? I had to duck out 10 min. early to make my GO Train (which was ironically ten minutes late).

No........fresh legs but still young.....misjudged a few balls....but love the kids.....give them time

prizby
08-15-2009, 08:50 PM
6 - Sanyang: Was pretty invisible in the first half, but when Robinson came off and he had the DM position to himself, he made himself felt, breaking up a number of plays. Didn't appreciate his theatrics at the end though. I know he's trying to waste time to secure the win, but don't do it like this. I'd deduct 1 point from his rating if I considered things other than just match performance.

he looked pretty injured to me, also just watched the game in 60 minutes, still looked pretty injured

ForestGlade
08-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Finally saw them win a game in person!! Unbearably hot in 113, nothing but sucking in hot air (there's an Archer joke in there that i'm too drunk to put together), and I think that's why the singing wasn't all there. I thought the midfielders had a tough game, especially dealing with the heat, but guys like White, Robinson and Brennan played stellar. Best of all: TFC didn't shit the bed in a crucial match!

bowmanvillejim
08-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Today was my first TFC game. I took my son and we sat in section 119. The atmosphere is awesome. We're looking forward to attending another game.

Pachuco
08-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Come on Yohan. Guevara played one half and he setup a goal plus he saved one off the line. In my books he deserves more credit then that. Dero had one of his wors games this year. He may have scored, doesn't mean he played well though.

Today proed two things to me. Gerba should not be our starting striker and Garcia should not see the field again unless gomez and nana get hurt.

Stryker
08-15-2009, 09:17 PM
The team as a whole played well today.
Sanyang wasen't too hot the first half but got better as the game wore on.

As much as I really like the guy, I think the time is rapidly approaching where we will have to part ways with Mr. Robinson.

My only other problem was that I was pretty disappointed with all the time wasting from the Gambian kids. Sanyang in particular.
I felt it was an imbarrassment to our team.

Oldtimer
08-15-2009, 09:19 PM
merged threads.

twistedchinaman
08-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Saw highlights...DeRo goal, ladies and gents, is textbook crossing and how to finish it. Please repeat. Again and again!

DC seemed to have taken the friendly a bit too seriously -- and now they could face a hefty penalty for it, what with losing to us today and a game in El Salvador mid-week for CCL.

Maple Leaf Red
08-15-2009, 09:35 PM
The team as a whole played well today.
Sanyang wasen't too hot the first half but got better as the game wore on.

As much as I really like the guy, I think the time is rapidly approaching where we will have to part ways with Mr. Robinson.

My only other problem was that I was pretty disappointed with all the time wasting from the Gambian kids. Sanyang in particular.
I felt it was an imbarrassment to our team.

How come everyone's calling it time-wasting? Just because they didn't have to get subbed off? Looked like they were injured to me especially the times Sanyang got cleated in the thigh and the ankle.

Maple Leaf Red
08-15-2009, 09:37 PM
When I read these remarks I wonder if I was at the same game as some of you. First Deroe ran all day as usual, yes, he miscued occsionally, but he had numerous runs at full speed and taking on the defender in many instances won the ball and created his own chances without any support esp from Vitti. I like Vitti, but today he was basicaly in a trance..so many times he was out of position not defending or ready for a pass, He should hace been substituted by Dichio...at the 65 min mark...(or Gala)

That's funny.

Maple Leaf Red
08-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Saw highlights...DeRo goal, ladies and gents, is textbook crossing and how to finish it. Please repeat. Again and again!

DC seemed to have taken the friendly a bit too seriously -- and now they could face a hefty penalty for it, what with losing to us today and a game in El Salvador mid-week for CCL.

The thing I really liked about that goal was the way that Brennan's well placed cross-field ball opened up DC and led to the goal. Too often the team gets stuck in making two or three passes to switch the point of attack when they really just need to use one.

barca99
08-15-2009, 10:01 PM
It has been said already, but he deserves it to be said again, Cronin was a MONSTER today. A fantastic game at both ends, and a perfect cross for the goal, hell even I could have finished that! Everything offensively went through Cronin down the right wing.:hump:

Not enough has been said about Frei, a great game for him, composure and big saves when needed.

I'm not usually a Robbo fan, but he had a good first half in my books, sub at half surprised me.

DeRo is a hero to me, but he played like shite today. As someone said he looked like Barrett on that breakaway:facepalm:, and held onto the ball too long on other occassions. The goal was a great touch, but not enough to be MOTM.

MOTM was Nana.. HUGE game for the youngster. Excited to see him and Jakovic playing together for Canada.:canada:

Cheers:drinking:
See you in Seattle:scarf:

jloome
08-15-2009, 10:13 PM
It has been said already, but he deserves it to be said again, Cronin was a MONSTER today. A fantastic game at both ends, and a perfect cross for the goal, hell even I could have finished that! Everything offensively went through Cronin down the right wing.:hump:

Dead on. He had three absolutely dead-perfect weighted through balls today that caused DC all sorts of problems and several very dangerous crosses. Plus, he won balls going forward and back. He's turning into a hell of a player.

KRO
08-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Just got back and about to eat supper, but I must say an absolutely vital 3 points won today. Despite our poor passing and ball control (thank God Robinson was removed at half), the back four were pretty solid; De Ro was brilliant; White was very good; and, perhaps most important, DC United didn't even show up.

Which game were you watching?

De Ro scored a great goal but that was his only contribution to the game. He has been playing below his best for 3 or 4 games now and hopefully he improves soon because we are going to need him to make the play offs.

The young guys stepped up today and the older guys (DeRo included) will be benched if they don't perform.

Stryker
08-15-2009, 10:33 PM
More than anything Im shocked to see people saying Robbo had a good half.
He was absolute shite.

VPjr
08-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Big win. If they did not get 3 points today, the playoffs were likely out the window. With today's 3 points, I'd say that TFC's playoff hopes move into the "Solid Maybe" category

The young lineup was refreshing to see. I'm not sure that lineup gives TFC the best chance to win week in-week out but it worked today. It also sent out a clear message to the veterans on the team that there are young players who will give a good effort and sometimes effort will be rewarded over talent.

Alot of credit has to be given to the pharmacist who accidently spiked DCU's water with Somonex because they looked totally asleep out there today.

Also, was it me or was the turf worse than usual? It was clear some DC players were having difficulty with it.

Best Player: Nana

Worst: they won so hard to accuse anyone of totally sucking but Sanyang was crap in 1st half and Robinson did not impress in his 45 minutes. Sanyang earned himself another game, IMO, with his 2nd half performance.

Maple Leaf Red
08-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Which game were you watching?

De Ro scored a great goal but that was his only contribution to the game. He has been playing below his best for 3 or 4 games now and hopefully he improves soon because we are going to need him to make the play offs.

The young guys stepped up today and the older guys (DeRo included) will be benched if they don't perform.
Lots of bad decisions coming from DeRo the last while and too much play on the periphery for my liking but he has been producing at least. I can't imagine the impact when he's playing at his best.

Blizzard
08-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Gomez- 6.5 - I think he had a good game, made some good tackle and nice passing iwould give him a 7.5

Brennan 7 - I think he's time is coming to a end,he made at least 5 or 6 bad pass' to nobody, Gomez had to keep covering for him cause he was out of postion and he's to slow.I gave him a 6

Say what you will about Brennan but the DeRo goal doesn't happen without Brennan picking up the loose ball near midfield, being poised and waiting for Cronin to start his run and then playing it up perfectly into Cronin's path for him to cross to DeRo for the header.

Blizzard
08-15-2009, 11:09 PM
he looked pretty injured to me, also just watched the game in 60 minutes, still looked pretty injured

He got spiked pretty good by Jakovic. The MLSnet highlight pack shows it pretty clearly. Dejan slides, misses the ball and takes out Sanyang's legs.

2:38

http://web.mlsnet.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=6112631

Cummins discusses the incident in his post-match presser:
http://web.mlsnet.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=6112631

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-16-2009, 12:17 AM

how does one miss a breakaway? then break in with only a touch need to pass on for a goal attempt and he put it way ahead of his teammate?
player of the month:facepalm:

grizzle
08-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Nana looked awsome today! Very happy about the win :)

stoked
08-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Sanyang looked much better when Robinson was off, in fact the entire team looked much better when Robinson was off. What does that tell you? Robinson is the problem, he doesn't suit the technical players on our team, i.e Dero, Guevara, Vitti and soon the Gambians. What disturbs me more is his positioning off of the ball when we're on offence. Notice how in the 2nd half we got so many crisp passing plays together, it was due to the fact that our inner mids knew where to be to receive the ball.

He plays too far back in the final third and it does us no good when we're outnumbered. I mean if he ever gets the ball usually due to a clearance. That's what defenders are for.

Dero, great player, terrible first touch on the ball today and his distribution and corners were atrocious.. Does too much, but sometimes you can't blame him.

The kids won us this game.

Dub Narcotic
08-16-2009, 12:42 AM
Thoughts:

DC controlled a lot of the game, they were camped in the Toronto half, especially in the period after the halftime and before the second goal.

Vitti should look at Christian Gomez for the player he should try and be in this league. Worlds apart. Vitti's first touch is often surprisingly terrible, and the midfield is very soft with he and Guevera in there.

One of the best performances by a backline in TFC history. DC had all of the ball but nothing troubled Frei much.

Gala may not see another late game sub for a while after panicking and wasting possession twice in two or three minutes.

I like Jakovic, but he always seems to make one big mistake. His mistake this week led to the De Rosario breakaway miss. Its tough to be the only CB in a back three.

De Rosario was good and bad. One thing he does that bugs me is dribble into pressure a lot. He has to better know when to give the ball up versus composing himself to take people on. As a hint, the first should happen when his back is away from the goal, which is also forty yards away.

I think Cummins is throwing everything at the wall to see what works. Luckily, this is probably the most talented TFC team. Whether they will gel enough to make the playoffs is to be seen.

Skinner
08-16-2009, 12:48 AM
I have to say that I'm really disappointed with the criticism Sanyang is getting in this thread. This kid played a whale of a second half and I for one am thrilled by the possibilities for his future (hopefully with us for a long time). Think about the following before you start slagging him...

1) He's 18 years old
2) He was making his first MLS start
3) It was over 30 degrees on the plastic pitch and he played the full 90
4) He was our DM in the second half and did mot miss a beat. Watch it again, I have. I can't remember seeing one miss step and we were defending a lead against a team of seasoned attackers. His mid field tackle of Jaime (puke) Moreno was as good an open field tackle as I have ever seen by a TFC player.
5) He got hammered hard the first two times he went down and likely the third as well, but that one was harder to tell on tv (although he did have his boot ripped off his foot in that tackle. That second one by Simms should have been a straight red in my opinion. Studs up to the thigh...hard.

Perhaps this young man deserves some benefit of the doubt and support before you come down hard on him for time wasting in a game that he had a lot of impact in...that we won...and needed to win.

The kid played his ass off. Show some support!

twistedchinaman
08-16-2009, 12:52 AM
Today we needed three points.
Today needed a watershed win.

Today we got three points.
Today we won an ugly, ugly game.

Mission completed. Next!

twistedchinaman
08-16-2009, 12:54 AM
More than anything Im shocked to see people saying Robbo had a good half.
He was absolute shite.

+1 -- and Robbo has been shite for quite a while. Something is bothering him, and TBH he might need some time to sort it out.

Come on Robbo, we know you can be much, MUCH, MUCH better than this.

mclaren
08-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Defense was a thousand times better today - much more athletic, didn`t look troubled one bit.

Stryker
08-16-2009, 01:41 AM
how does one miss a breakaway? then break in with only a touch need to pass on for a goal attempt and he put it way ahead of his teammate?

Did you have think that maybe its not the people who chose the player of the month, or the club management and coaching staff or the rest of this forum?
Yeah maybe its just you mighty.
Face palm indeed.

Yagbod
08-16-2009, 02:42 AM
Barrett would have lasted 10 mins in that heat. Cramp!!!

DoubleUp
08-16-2009, 03:19 AM
ITs the shift in the overall team makeup. And the change, is making some people uneasy with the new look Tfc. So that being said if your favourite player isnt toeing the line expect his days to be numbered. then period?......I think thats how that goes. ahwell

swan
08-16-2009, 06:04 AM

i was screaming at them through the t.V of course.... i don't care how good they are or going to be if they are going to pull that kind of shit they can stay at home...

Brooker
08-16-2009, 06:10 AM
what a cross by Sammy Cronin and perfect header by DeRo.

fantastic to see White get his first goal in his first start. sick!

swan
08-16-2009, 06:11 AM
I have to say that I'm really disappointed with the criticism Sanyang is getting in this thread. This kid played a whale of a second half and I for one am thrilled by the possibilities for his future (hopefully with us for a long time). Think about the following before you start slagging him...

1) He's 18 years old
2) He was making his first MLS start
3) It was over 30 degrees on the plastic pitch and he played the full 90
4) He was our DM in the second half and did mot miss a beat. Watch it again, I have. I can't remember seeing one miss step and we were defending a lead against a team of seasoned attackers. His mid field tackle of Jaime (puke) Moreno was as good an open field tackle as I have ever seen by a TFC player.
5) He got hammered hard the first two times he went down and likely the third as well, but that one was harder to tell on tv (although he did have his boot ripped off his foot in that tackle. That second one by Simms should have been a straight red in my opinion. Studs up to the thigh...hard.

Perhaps this young man deserves some benefit of the doubt and support before you come down hard on him for time wasting in a game that he had a lot of impact in...that we won...and needed to win.

The kid played his ass off. Show some support!

i'm not saying that the tackles didn't hurt but he was time wasting big time..

trane
08-16-2009, 06:30 AM
Attakora was huge. White did well. In general I think it is is time to allow our younger players to play.

Skinner
08-16-2009, 06:50 AM

The way I saw it, he was both hurt and exhausted. Guess I'm just choosing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Pookie
08-16-2009, 06:54 AM
I hate to say it but it sounds like we could win the Cup and a number of you would be upset with how we did it.

The team played a solid game today and secured 3 points at home against an opponent that was ahead of them in the standings. They've moved up the table and kept their (and our) playoff hopes alive.

That's what was needed. That's what was done.... there should be much re-joicing.

Oldtimer
08-16-2009, 06:56 AM

I thought at the time that he was genuinely hurt. Those tackles were horrible. I would be more likely to call out a player for time-wasting if a breeze from a player running by made him flop.

Pookie
08-16-2009, 07:17 AM
I liked the line up changes.

What I hope is that Cummins evaluates Chivas' tactics and strengths and builds a line up and/or formation to exploit weaknesses. Not simply penciling in the same thing week in and week out.

I feel we are very predictable most weeks. What works against one team might not work against another.

Looks like Brennan is out for next week against Chivas (Yellow Card accumulation). Big game too. Tied with Chivas for the last playoff spot (as of this morning) and they have 2 games in hand.

Oldtimer
08-16-2009, 07:23 AM
Cummins is still learning, but I liked what I saw in his formation changes against DC.

Kaz
08-16-2009, 07:49 AM
I have to say that was one of the best games I've seen from Toronto from an opponent that could have beaten us if things went badly.

Kudos to all the boys last night.

Took a friend to the game, who has never really been to a Match of any kind, and knew almost nothing about the game and it was only my second game in the stands. It was the best experience I could have hoped for.

And she really enjoyed her self, and for that reason alone I want to thank Cummins if I could.

It was brilliant.

Luanda
08-16-2009, 08:12 AM
We have long complained about not winning!!!!!!!

Now we are complaining about how we are winning???????

TFCRegina
08-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Um, I saw a closed thread on what we liked about the changes made and what we didn't like.

Here's my answer.

I liked that we won.

And I hated that people are hating on TFC still.

Let's see if we make playoffs first guys...then have at it.

TFCRegina
08-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Cummins is still learning, but I liked what I saw in his formation changes against DC.

This is the point I like to make. But every coach in the league is still learning. Cummins has come a long way so far, and he'll get better with time, we just have to be patient and hope he can drag us through to playoffs.

Remember, when Carver left, we were actually on track for having another season like last year...

rocker
08-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Yes, those of us who have watched every single TFC game in its history and watch other MLS games not involving TFC would regard this game as a pretty fine one!
If they played like that every week we'd be gaining the balance of power in this league.
very enjoyable!!

dcdcdc
08-16-2009, 10:05 AM
It's a pretty good streak we got going with Barrett not playing.. 1-0.
Let's keep it alive!!

Pachuco
08-16-2009, 10:18 AM

Funny Barrett's done that 47 times since he joined this team but you wanted to make him player of the month last month.

Oh, and player of the month was for last month, not this month. The day you make an intelligent comment is the day I'll stop calling you out for your ridicolous inconsistencies.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Funny Barrett's done that 47 times since he joined this team but you wanted to make him player of the month last month.

Oh, and player of the month was for last month, not this month. The day you make an intelligent comment is the day I'll stop calling you out for your ridicolous inconsistencies.

just ignore list him, hes reached giambac levels of ridiculousness as of late

Beach_Red
08-16-2009, 10:35 AM
just ignore list him, hes reached giambac levels of ridiculousness as of late

One of the other small bonuses from a win is knowing he won't show up here for a while - has nothing to say after a good game.

Shakes McQueen
08-16-2009, 10:38 AM
One of the other small bonuses from a win is knowing he won't show up here for a while - has nothing to say after a good game.

I'll assume you mean Giambac, haha. Mighty_torontofc always has some of his kooky football gospel to provide here.

I've mentioned this before, but Giambac actually feeds on darkness. When there is no darkness around here, he is forced to roam elsewhere - I assume the NYRB forums. The nice thing about only posting here when the team sucks, is that you get to swoop in with gusto, and speak as though you are some kind of demi-God, because you prophesized that this team was shitty.

Doesn't work so well when the team plays a good game or two. This is the essence of Giambac.

- Scott

Super
08-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Doesn't work so well when the team plays a good game or two. This is the essence of Giambac.
- Scott

He'll only sing when we're losing, sing when we're losiiiinngggg ... he'll only ...

Dirk Diggler
08-16-2009, 11:54 AM
BTW, am I the only one who does not mind this time wasting by the Gambians? More power to Gomez and Sanyang in my opinion. I'm not going to shit on them for helping the team secure a win. To be honest, I don't like it when the opposition pulls that kind of antics but I will be a fool if I do not enjoy it when my own team does that for our own benefit.

TFC07
08-16-2009, 12:00 PM
BTW, am I the only one who does not mind this time wasting by the Gambians? More power to Gomez and Sanyang in my opinion. I'm not going to shit on them for helping the team secure a win. To be honest, I don't like it when the opposition pulls that kind of antics but I will be a fool if I do not enjoy it when my own team does that for our own benefit.

No, if the refs aren't going to book for diving/time wasting, then TFC should take advantage of it when they're leading. All clubs in MLS and CONCACAF in general do it, so why can't we do the same?

TFCRegina
08-16-2009, 12:00 PM
I've mentioned this before, but Giambac actually feeds on darkness. When there is no darkness around here, he is forced to roam elsewhere - I assume the NYRB forums.

- Scott

Love the attacks on the Product Placements.

Pachuco
08-16-2009, 12:01 PM

You are certainly not alone. I just laugh and keep hoping that Guevara and the Gambians keep wasting time when we are winning games.

TFCRegina
08-16-2009, 12:02 PM
No, if the refs aren't going to book for diving/time wasting, then TFC should take advantage of it when they're leading. All clubs in MLS and CONCACAF in general do it, so why can't we do the same?

Agreed.

Shakes McQueen
08-16-2009, 12:13 PM

I was embarrassed when Sanyang kept getting attended to (assuming it was just time-wasting). I don't like it when the opposition does it, and I don't like when we do it.

And it didn't do shit anyway, because the ref added 5 minutes of extra time.

I dislike that stuff on principle - I think it's an embarrassment to the game, to have guys getting carted off on a board, only to spring up and return to the pitch seconds later. To me, it's disrespecting the game itself, and it makes the sport look like a joke, designed for flip-flopping pussies.

I'd rather we live and die on skill as a team, rather than lower ourselves to acting like Central American national teams.

- Scott

Pachuco
08-16-2009, 12:17 PM
I was embarrassed when Sanyang kept getting attended to (assuming it was just time-wasting). I don't like it when the opposition does it, and I don't like when we do it.

I dislike that stuff on principle - I think it's an embarrassment to the game, to have guys getting carted off on a board, only to spring up and return to the pitch seconds later. To me, it's disrespecting the game itself, and it makes the sport look like a joke, designed for flip-flopping pussies.

I'd rather we live and die on skill as a team, rather than lower ourselves to acting like Central American national teams.

- Scott

Is that your round and about way of calling Sanyang a flip flopping pussy?

Dirk Diggler
08-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Yeah its not in the spirit of the game but I'm tired of pouting and complaining about it when other teams do it while he have the option to waste time ourselves. Sure, Sanyang could have been effective but there is more to wasting time than just trying to leave less time on the clock (including added time). You also aim to kill any momentum that the opposition might be gaining while giving your team mates enough time to catch their breath in order to defend effectively.

TFCRegina
08-16-2009, 12:24 PM

- Scott

Problem is, if we don't do it, others will.

It's a part of the game. Time wasting, drawing fouls through simulation, etc...all part of the game.

v00d00daddy
08-16-2009, 12:25 PM

- Scott

What's the point of saying something like this?

Here, I have one for you.

I would rather we actually win a game or two than lose by playing garbage longball bullshit like U.K. teams.

Does that sound palatable to you?

Didn't think so.

I agree with your point about faking injury but there is no reason to pigeonhole an entire region of soccer teams as "flip-flopping pussies".

Sullivan
08-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Not a really great game, but loads of positives including but not limited to just a clean sheet, or 2 GFs, or securing 3 points from DCU in our yard, ...still, a good day at BMO!

Hosting our own group of friends from DC and keeping them at bay made it a better day.

Beating our DCU friends during our 5v5 midnight challenge was ok, ya ok we imported a ringer (no heatstroke) from St Catharines, but watching them sacrifice their DCU ball and a scarf over Niagara Falls at 1:30 this morning was beautiful and made Saturday the BEST day possible.

Shakes McQueen
08-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Is that your round and about way of calling Sanyang a flip flopping pussy?

No. I said that kind of behaviour makes the game LOOK like it's made for flip-flopping pussies. I'm sure Sanyang was probably quite fine, just like when the Honduran players acted like they had been shot in Canada's GC game with them, I assumed the injuries were probably less serious than they looked. In fact, assuming they were hurt at all was probably giving them too much benefit of the doubt.

My principles on the game itself don't change when my team does it.

The stuff Sanyang pulled yesterday, is part of the reason why casual sports fans, or fans of other sports, often will dismiss and laugh at soccer, precisely for the diving, flip-flopping, and play acting. Embellishing to make sure a foul gets called is one thing - getting carried off the field on a board, and trotting back on seconds later with no ill-effects, is another thing entirely. It's embarrassing.

I think Sanyang is a good young player. I'm just peaying he doesn't make that bullshit a habit.

- Scott

Fushida
08-16-2009, 12:33 PM

You think any 18 year old kid can walk off a studs up challenge? Have you ever played and got tackled hard? I had my shin fractured from challenges like that, and players deserve to have time to recoup from those challenges. Sure he might have tried to sell the ref a yellow, but everyone does it, its just part of the game now (unfortunately). And besides how do you know he wasn't hurt?

Either way it was hot as hell and I'd like to see you take hit after hit in that heat and run out to play the full 90. Simms did the exact same thing for DCU, and you're bashing one of our own? Ironically it was Simms who took out Sanyang the second time around.

FFS some people are just hard to please.

Shakes McQueen
08-16-2009, 12:34 PM
What's the point of saying something like this?

Here, I have one for you.

I would rather we actually win a game or two than lose by playing garbage longball bullshit like U.K. teams.

Does that sound palatable to you?

Didn't think so.

I agree with your point about faking injury but there is no reason to pigeonhole an entire region of soccer teams as "flip-flopping pussies".

Okay, replace "Central American national teams" with "the Honduran national team", and pull the tampon out of your ass.

And I could care less what stereotype you'd like to throw out, about UK football. I'm not that sensitive. I used a generalization for the sake of brevity, not to start a culture war.

- Scott

Pachuco
08-16-2009, 12:35 PM
No. I said that kind of behaviour makes the game LOOK like it's made for flip-flopping pussies. I'm sure Sanyang was probably quite fine, just like when the Honduran players acted like they had been shot in Canada's GC game with them, I assumed the injuries were probably less serious than they looked. In fact, assuming they were hurt at all was probably giving them too much benefit of the doubt.

My principles on the game itself don't change when my team does it.

The stuff Sanyang pulled yesterday, is part of the reason why casual sports fans, or fans of other sports, often will dismiss and laugh at soccer, precisely for the diving, flip-flopping, and play acting. Embellishing to make sure a foul gets called is one thing - getting carried off the field on a board, and trotting back on seconds later with no ill-effects, is another thing entirely. It's embarrassing.

I think Sanyang is a good young player. I'm just peaying he doesn't make that bullshit a habit.

- Scott

ahh ok, so it was your way of calling Guevara a flip flopping pussie. I hope Sanyang makes it a habit. I want TFC to win the MLS cup, not the fair play cup.

Shakes McQueen
08-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Problem is, if we don't do it, others will.

It's a part of the game. Time wasting, drawing fouls through simulation, etc...all part of the game.

This point of view I can somewhat appreciate. I get that it's idealistic of me to expect teams not to use these tactics. It doesn't change the fact that I'd rather we live and die on our talent as a team, rather than our ability to do our best Charlie Chaplin impression.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
08-16-2009, 12:39 PM
ahh ok, so it was your way of calling Guevara a flip flopping pussie. I hope Sanyang makes it a habit. I want TFC to win the MLS cup, not the fair play cup.

No, because the game I was referring to, was one in which Guevara didn't even play. Though I appreciate your hard-nosed determination to reduce my entire point to "Hondurans are pussies".

I want us to win the MLS Cup too. I'm just assuming we don't need to dive, and cheat, and play dead to do it.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
08-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Anyway, not to get off on a huge tangent about my personal opinions on diving - Sanyang had a great game yesterday. 6 If he keeps that up, he could well end up forcing Robbo out of his spot as a regular starter.

I'm really pleased to see these new kids are working out so well. If we can manage to keep this nucleus of young defensive players for a few years, we could have a really good team over the next year or two. It makes me much more interested to see how Fellinga works out at LB.

- Scott

Pachuco
08-16-2009, 12:49 PM
No, because the game I was referring to, was one in which Guevara didn't even play. Though I appreciate your hard-nosed determination to reduce my entire point to "Hondurans are pussies".

I want us to win the MLS Cup too. I'm just assuming we don't need to dive, and cheat, and play dead to do it.

- Scott

Well you can't possibly expect not to rub people the wrong way when you sit here and call and entire region a bunch of cheats and pussies. Seriously, do you think that will get anyone listening to your point?

Skinner
08-16-2009, 12:52 PM
You think any 18 year old kid can walk off a studs up challenge? Have you ever played and got tackled hard? I had my shin fractured from challenges like that, and players deserve to have time to recoup from those challenges. Sure he might have tried to sell the ref a yellow, but everyone does it, its just part of the game now (unfortunately). And besides how do you know he wasn't hurt?

Either way it was hot as hell and I'd like to see you take hit after hit in that heat and run out to play the full 90. Simms did the exact same thing for DCU, and you're bashing one of our own? Ironically it was Simms who took out Sanyang the second time around.

Thank you! Finally a voice of reason.

Looks like some people think Sanyang should be taking a studs up leg clattering tackle after 3/4 of a 30+ scorcher and popping up like nothing happened.

Or maybe they think he should just lay off the 50/50 balls altogether. The kid was a warrior out there yesterday.

Shakes McQueen
08-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Well you can't possibly expect not to rub people the wrong way when you sit here and call and entire region a bunch of cheats and pussies. Seriously, do you think that will get anyone listening to your point?

I specifically cited their game against Canada, in the post you are talking about. And in that game, they were absolutely diving, cheaters. I will 100% stand behind that.

Central American football teams have an earned reputation for being divers and floppers. If you disagree with that assertion, fine. But that comment was hardly the crux of my point anyway.

And for the last time, I wasn't actually saying they are pussies - I'm saying they make the sport look like an activity for pussies, when a shove in the back causes them to crumple to the ground in a heap, and start rolling around clutching an unrelated body part (something that absolutely happened during the Canada-Honduras game, multiple times). It makes the sport look bad.

- Scott

TFC OZZ
08-16-2009, 01:00 PM

- Scott

Completely agree. Absolutely disgusting stuff to see our own players pull that kind of bullshit. Gomez, Sanyang, as well as Vitti are all guilty of it.

The fact that people are OK with that kind of stuff is pretty upsetting, it's absolutely ruining the game. We shouldn't cheat because other teams do it and the ref wont call it, that's like doing steroids because everyone else does it and the league won't enforce it. Cheating is NOT OK. I don't want to win the MLS cup because we dove our way there, I want to win because of talent and desire.

Leave that shit off the field.

Shakes McQueen
08-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Completely agree. Absolutely disgusting stuff to see our own players pull that kind of bullshit. Gomez, Sanyang, as well as Vitti are all guilty of it.

The fact that people are OK with that kind of stuff is pretty upsetting, it's absolutely ruining the game. We shouldn't cheat because other teams do it and the ref wont call it, that's like doing steroids because everyone else does it and the league won't enforce it. Cheating is NOT OK. I don't want to win the MLS cup because we dove our way there, I want to win because of talent and desire.

Thank you. And this is all that should need to be said on the issue.

I will still go out and support guys like Sanyang and Guevara as long as they are wearing our colours, but I'm still going to cringe when they dive, and I'm never going to act like I'm okay with it, as long as it's our team getting away with it. That's the point of having principles.

- Scott

Pachuco
08-16-2009, 01:08 PM
I specifically cited their game against Canada, in the post you are talking about. And in that game, they were absolutely diving, cheaters. I will 100% stand behind that.

Central American football teams have an earned reputation for being divers and floppers. If you disagree with that assertion, fine. But that comment was hardly the crux of my point anyway.

And for the last time, I wasn't actually saying they are pussies - I'm saying they make the sport look like an activity for pussies, when a shove in the back causes them to crumple to the ground in a heap, and start rolling around clutching an unrelated body part (something that absolutely happened during the Canada-Honduras game, multiple times). It makes the sport look bad.

- Scott

Dude, this was your fucking comment

"I'd rather we live and die on skill as a team, rather than lower ourselves to acting like Central American national teams"

If you think that is not going to insult anyone from that region then you missed kindergaten. Also, Guevara played that game, so the only one flip flopping here is you.

Personally, I've been infractioned on this site for much less then you are suggesting here. It's immature and unlike you based on the stuff I've read here from you.

I'm not central american, but I can't stand for comments like that. It's funny you are arguing how wrong cheating is while at the same time you come up with comments like the ones above.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-16-2009, 01:13 PM
great game yesterday in great weather...OBW had the goal of the season..what a cracker!! the signs of more to come from him.

Shakes McQueen
08-16-2009, 01:23 PM

"I'd rather we live and die on skill as a team, rather than lower ourselves to acting like Central American national teams"

Now go back, and do a copy/paste on my response to Voodoo, where I clarify that I'm talking more about the Honduran national team specifically.

Guevara played that game, so the only one flip flopping here is you.Methinks you are talking about the World Cup qualifier, and not the Gold Cup match I said I was talking about, which he DID NOT play in. Though the fact that me mentioning Honduras being diving cunts against Canada made you think of a completely different game, really illustrates my point about Honduras having an earned reputation for being diving shitheads.

Personally, I've been infractioned on this site for much less then you are suggesting here. It's immature and unlike you based on the stuff I've read here from you.It isn't immature to state that Central American teams have a well-known reputation for being floppers. Perhaps I should have been less declarative about it, but that's really splitting hairs for the sake of pedantry.

I'm not central american, but I can't stand for comments like that. It's funny you are arguing how wrong cheating is while at the same time you come up with comments like the ones above.I'm a bit confused as to what cheating has to do with me making a general statement that Central American teams are well known for flopping.

You're getting all defensive, like I made a racist statement or something. It's no more offensive or stereotypical, than saying Italian footballers play boring, defensive football, or saying English players play boring, route one football. These are all generalizations, about how those countries play the game. Italians have a well earned reputation for playing conservative, defensive-minded football. Central American's have a well-earned reputation for using questionable time wasting tactics like diving, and pretending to be hurt.

Does that mean they all do it? Of course not. But I assumed you were smart enough to make that distinction.

- Scott

Lucky Strike
08-16-2009, 01:26 PM

+1 on this one, I don't like it at all, even when our own team does it. It's very unfortunate that some people feel it's necessary to do this to win - not because I consider these people cheats or dishonourable, but because other teams do it and the argument is that we have to level the playing field.

Shakes McQueen
08-16-2009, 01:28 PM
+1 on this one, I don't like it at all, even when our own team does it. It's very unfortunate that some people feel it's necessary to do this to win - not because I consider these people cheats or dishonourable, but because other teams do it and the argument is that we have to level the playing field.

It's the same flawed argument some baseball players who have been caught using steroids make - "well, I had to do it, because everyone else was".

- Scott

kitchener-TFC
08-16-2009, 01:30 PM
It's a pretty good streak we got going with Barrett not playing.. 1-0.
Let's keep it alive!!
lol

I'll assume you mean Giambac, haha. Mighty_torontofc always has some of his kooky football gospel to provide here.

I've mentioned this before, but Giambac actually feeds on darkness. When there is no darkness around here, he is forced to roam elsewhere - I assume the NYRB forums. The nice thing about only posting here when the team sucks, is that you get to swoop in with gusto, and speak as though you are some kind of demi-God, because you prophesized that this team was shitty.

- Scott
Deep Scott, very deep :canada:.

?

Back on topic, we got 3 points. This should be a happy time.

TFC OZZ
08-16-2009, 01:35 PM

That's not a good enough reason for me, and I'd have to say that there are definitely players that don't do that.

That tackle from Simms was poor at best, he shouldn't have gone studs up; I was pretty upset about that. My problem is this, if you're injured, get off the field and you can recoup there. If you're tired and can't handle the heat; ask for a sub... Don't waste time. I don't think we should be playing the ball out of bounds, we should take the old school Fergsuon approach and continue play.

Shakes McQueen
08-16-2009, 01:40 PM
That's not a good enough reason for me, and I'd have to say that there are definitely players that don't do that.

That tackle from Simms was poor at best, he shouldn't have gone studs up; I was pretty upset about that. My problem is this, if you're injured, get off the field and you can recoup there. If you're tired and can't handle the heat; ask for a sub... Don't waste time. I don't think we should be playing the ball out of bounds, we should take the old school Fergsuon approach and continue play.

Exactly.

If Sanyang was hurt, then sub him off. If he was tired, then sub him off. If it was just a bad knock, then he shouldn't have needed to be carried off, and attended to multiple times.

If he's able to get right up off the stretcher, and immediately return to play, then it's pretty clear he wasn't as hurt as he was making out to be.

- Scott

bertal
08-16-2009, 02:04 PM
great result

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Just watched the GAME IN AN HOUR on GOL!.....you could really feel the atmosphere on TV...

great result!

Bring on CHIVAS!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-16-2009, 02:15 PM
http://web.mlsnet.com/imgs/headers/txt_goldenboot.gif

DERO? 9!

CASSEY at 11!

Darlofletch
08-16-2009, 03:18 PM
That was a very satisfying day all round really. Weather was gorgeous in the shade of the west stand.

Good to see Cummins make some changes to formation rather than just stick with the same old same old, and the change seemed to work, that was the most comfortable our defence has looked all year,

I don't see any need for garcia to get his starting spot back, and Nana is clearly a better rb than Wynne, at least on the defensive side, which is more important.

I though Brennan and Cronin both had very good games out wide, the way they set up De Ro's goal was awesome. I don't think Robinson played as badly as some people here are suggesting, but Sanyang at DM in the second half was an improvement.

Wasn't really that impressed with any of the front three though, they didn't really seem to link up that well, and De Ro and Vitti seemed to be having a contest to see who could do the most fancy but ineffective backheels. Having said that, De Ro and White both scored so I'm not going to complain too much.

Not sure how much Sanyang was actually hurt and how much was play acting, but definitely put me in the "hate that shit, even when it is our own team doing it" camp.

Ref was a bit card happy, but didn't do anything terrible.

Then had a good night at the Rhino including an entertaining cameo appearance from King Dave.

Perfect saturday.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Gomez has earned his badge!......its his to lose now!! Love this KID!

Oldtimer
08-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Read the National Post story. Those who considered Sanyang a diver should read the article:

"He's been trod on," Cummins said. "The lad stamped on [Sanyang] and the ref's missed it. He's getting stretchered off, the medic is telling me to take him off, and he puts his boots back on and runs back on the pitch."

The medic wouldn't have been fooled by diving. It is more likely that the kid played injured.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=1897909

rocker
08-16-2009, 04:25 PM
the only negative yesterday for me was the body odour... somebody around me was just nasty!!! and I'm in the prawn section!! it's not like anybody was jumping around -- and we were in the shade all game. I thought prawns could afford a shower and some deodorant.

Shakes McQueen
08-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Read the National Post story. Those who considered Sanyang a diver should read the article:

The medic wouldn't have been fooled by diving. It is more likely that the kid played injured.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=1897909

I would like to point out that I prefaced my original comment with the qualifier "assuming it was just time-wasting...", regarding Sanyang getting attended to over and over. Not saying this post was addressed to me. :)

If he was playing hurt, then that obviously changes the equation. Good on the kid for running back out there.

- Scott

Roogsy
08-16-2009, 06:04 PM
I am re-watching the game now (since I really don't get a chance to do so at the stadium itself) and I am at the point where Emilio had a breakaway on Frei and Stefan got to the ball first. Great reaction by Frei...

But the commentators were right...Emilio was WAY off side...stinking MLS officials. This one wasn't even close and it could have cost us a goal.

barca99
08-16-2009, 06:27 PM
I am re-watching the game now (since I really don't get a chance to do so at the stadium itself) and I am at the point where Emilio had a breakaway on Frei and Stefan got to the ball first. Great reaction by Frei...

But the commentators were right...Emilio was WAY off side...stinking MLS officials. This one wasn't even close and it could have cost us a goal.

I'm wondering if the Nana (I think) kept him onside. He was at the top of the screen, and from the angle I couldn't tell if he was in line or not, but you're right about Frei, great reaction to shoot out off the line, a skill often overlooked for goalies (they're not all about shot-stopping!)

ochos
08-16-2009, 06:38 PM

If you think that is not going to insult anyone from that region then you missed kindergaten. Also, Guevara played that game, so the only one flip flopping here is you.

Personally, I've been infractioned on this site for much less then you are suggesting here. It's immature and unlike you based on the stuff I've read here from you.

I'm not central american, but I can't stand for comments like that. It's funny you are arguing how wrong cheating is while at the same time you come up with comments like the ones above.

I'll say it for those who don't want to rub others the wrong way.

Many South and Central American footballers are dirty, diving, cheating wankers, who deserve to get spit on. They play a dishonourable, no-class game. This should be the biggest thing on FIFA's agenda - to try and stamp the kind of behaviour I'm referring to.

I'll have my leg broken before I let a stretcher take me off the field.

They'll act like their leg is broken just to waste a couple minutes.

Pathetic.

T_Mizz
08-16-2009, 07:05 PM
I think that people are jumping to conclusions because we were winning but really I think those challenges were very hard and also let's not forget exhaustion, if that was me and I went to the groundI 'm going to take the opportunity for a bit of rest. But I think that he was actually hurt because CC said so and he followed that by "If I'm honest with you" so you know its true.:D

Pookie
08-16-2009, 07:17 PM
I think there is some "idealism" going on with respect to time wasting.

Comments such as "ruining the game" and the assertion that you don't win with honour that way are a little over the top.

I'll certainly go on record as saying that I would love to see video replay for "diving", particularly those attempts to draw a PK. I'd even support post game tape reviews and subsequent suspensions to get that out of the game.

That said, time wasting... or "clock management" as it is called in other sports... is a tactic and an effective one.

In the NFL, the team with the lead in the 4th quarter generally runs the ball. They use up all of the play clock. They rarely throw it or else they risk the clock stopping and giving the other team more time to get back in the game.

In Basketball, the team with the lead will also use most of the shot clock before making an attempt. The team that is behind uses intentional fouls to stop the clock as part of their late game strategy.

In virtually any sport that must be played within a set time frame, clock management is a tactic. It makes early leads extremely important.

Soccer has the advantage over some of these other sports though in that the Referee can extend the time beyond the set limits if s/he feels that "clock management" has been excessive.

Roogsy
08-16-2009, 07:35 PM
I'll say it for those who don't want to rub others the wrong way.

Many South and Central American footballers are dirty, diving, cheating wankers, who deserve to get spit on. They play a dishonourable, no-class game. This should be the biggest thing on FIFA's agenda - to try and stamp the kind of behaviour I'm referring to.

I'll have my leg broken before I let a stretcher take me off the field.

They'll act like their leg is broken just to waste a couple minutes.

Pathetic.

Alright, let's leave this topic for another day. It has nothing to do with the TFC win.

Maple Leaf Red
08-16-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm wondering if the Nana (I think) kept him onside. He was at the top of the screen, and from the angle I couldn't tell if he was in line or not, but you're right about Frei, great reaction to shoot out off the line, a skill often overlooked for goalies (they're not all about shot-stopping!)

I was in the upper west stand and Nana did keep him onside. It was a big miscue on his part but Frei saved his bacon.

Shakes McQueen
08-16-2009, 08:26 PM
That said, time wasting... or "clock management" as it is called in other sports... is a tactic and an effective one.

In the NFL, the team with the lead in the 4th quarter generally runs the ball. They use up all of the play clock. They rarely throw it or else they risk the clock stopping and giving the other team more time to get back in the game.

In Basketball, the team with the lead will also use most of the shot clock before making an attempt. The team that is behind uses intentional fouls to stop the clock as part of their late game strategy.

In virtually any sport that must be played within a set time frame, clock management is a tactic. It makes early leads extremely important.

Soccer has the advantage over some of these other sports though in that the Referee can extend the time beyond the set limits if s/he feels that "clock management" has been excessive.

The concept of time management in other sports isn't really comparable at all. In American football, a team has downs to use - that is in the rules. In basketball, players are afforded a certain number of personal fouls, and a shot clock, and yes they can use them tactically.

Allowing players to pretend to be hurt, flop around, call for a stretcher, whatever - isn't in the rules. In fact, it's expressly against the rules to simulate, and intentionally "time waste".

I've got no problem with a team using yellow cards tactically - yellow cards are allotted in the rules. Diving and and pretending to be hurt in soccer though, are technically against the rules and spirit of the game, and hence, are embarrassing.

And you can't tell me that grown men rolling around on the ground, pretending to be hurt off of minimal contact, isn't an embarrassment to the sport, regardless of the rules anyway.

EDIT: Didn't see your post. Sorry Roogsy :D

- Scott

druid
08-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Hmmm. I think I'm at odds with a lot of people on this match. Was delirious with a win but not too please with the performance.

Other then the back three and Cronin I didn't think we played all that well. Our organization was poor and positioning at times was all over the map. We gave the ball away needlessly on an alarming basis and our central midfield contributed little. Despite the goal DeRoo was having a bad day at he office and looked like he was trying to force it. Brennan was all over the place and rarely in the right one.

I was heartened by the performance of the youngsters at the back and thought Cronin's distribution and vision were the highlight of the game.

I suppose that's why they call football the "ultimate subjective sport".

Belfast_Boy
08-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Nice to see a win!!! I needed that. DeRo was DeRo and i had the pleasure of meeting his dad before the game. it was great being in the south and seeing that sexy goal right in front of me.
sat in 117, first time in the south. liked the drumming... for about 5 minutes. same with my buddy and the feeling was the same with a lot of people around us. it totally killed the chants. could hardly hear you guys over in 112. I don't think it belongs here, this isn't South America.

Cigano7
08-17-2009, 04:56 PM
It was a good important win, a solid performance by DeRo again. If we only had more talent at his level, but the youth that were given a chance lately are doing great things.

I only got to see a few minutes past the 2nd goal as me and another pal and two english guys we met beside us, had all the pleasure of being kicked out, since we refused to sit down, seems some suits with kids dident like loud cheering for our TFC club and were more worried why it was so hot or what can jr. get to be a little more happier etc...

After refusing to sit, as in my ticket it dosent say I got to sit down, and seems after both goals the stadium was up, we got told by MLSE that there is new changes and unlike before they dont want people to stand even if it was like us in the end row, as others might do the same.

Fu'ck them as they werent bothered to sell us tickets and beer, but after they have a issue, I been to many european games and I cant see the vibe there ever here being the same, when suits and idiots will soon make up 75% of the stadium.

My other 6 mates left right when we told them they were going to kick us out, as it's becomming a joke at BMO.

Pookie
08-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Allowing players to pretend to be hurt, flop around, call for a stretcher, whatever - isn't in the rules. In fact, it's expressly against the rules to simulate, and intentionally "time waste".

True but soccer does allow for the Ref to add time to account for this.

Ultimately, the Ref is the keeper of time and has complete discretion to add as much time as s/he sees fit.

If "time wasting" accounted for 10-15 minutes, in theory, that's what the Ref should add. I'd be adding time for subs that are made in extra time as well as any slow walks to free kicks, etc.

In theory, time wasting should not be a factor if the Ref is doing their job.

Of course, if Man U is losing at Old Trafford, regardless of the injury time... the Ref generally plays as long as it takes for them earn a point at least ;)

And you can't tell me that grown men rolling around on the ground, pretending to be hurt off of minimal contact, isn't an embarrassment to the sport, regardless of the rules anyway.

Completely agree here.

It's why I would go out on a limb and say that I would favour post match video review and subsequent suspensions for diving.

I would also suggest that substitutions in the 88' are a little over the line. Completely within the rules but obviously an attempt to run out the clock.

For what it's worth though, clock management will always be a part of the game plan for a team that is winning.

Keegan
08-17-2009, 06:56 PM
That was a very satisfying day all round really. Weather was gorgeous in the shade of the west stand.

Good to see Cummins make some changes to formation rather than just stick with the same old same old, and the change seemed to work, that was the most comfortable our defence has looked all year,

I don't see any need for garcia to get his starting spot back, and Nana is clearly a better rb than Wynne, at least on the defensive side, which is more important.

I though Brennan and Cronin both had very good games out wide, the way they set up De Ro's goal was awesome. I don't think Robinson played as badly as some people here are suggesting, but Sanyang at DM in the second half was an improvement.

Wasn't really that impressed with any of the front three though, they didn't really seem to link up that well, and De Ro and Vitti seemed to be having a contest to see who could do the most fancy but ineffective backheels. Having said that, De Ro and White both scored so I'm not going to complain too much.

Not sure how much Sanyang was actually hurt and how much was play acting, but definitely put me in the "hate that shit, even when it is our own team doing it" camp.

Ref was a bit card happy, but didn't do anything terrible.

Then had a good night at the Rhino including an entertaining cameo appearance from King Dave.

Perfect saturday.

Agreed. But is Wynne really better offensively? Sure he can make a run down the wing but what comes of it? He can't pass or cross....

Nana has FOUR assists this year

Roogsy
08-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Agreed. But is Wynne really better offensively? Sure he can make a run down the wing but what comes of it? He can't pass or cross....

Nana has FOUR assists this year

I have to agree.

There isn't really any way to argue this point. Facts are facts. Wynne has speed but is unable to develop into any dangerous scoring opportunities. Whereas Nana does not have Wynne's speed (although he does have some speed) but can develop plays into something of more substance.

I am a believer.

Belfast_Boy
08-17-2009, 09:37 PM
I have to agree.

There isn't really any way to argue this point. Facts are facts. Wynne has speed but is unable to develop into any dangerous scoring opportunities. Whereas Nana does not have Wynne's speed (although he does have some speed) but can develop plays into something of more substance.

I am a believer.

I'm a big Nana fan. seen him make some impressive runs and good passes that have resulted in goals.

I'd keep Nana on the right and push Gomez out on the left. Tell them to run like fuk and take all the space they were given.

Kaz
08-17-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm going to be very sad if I see Wynne in place of Attakora. And I'm fearful he'll be in Brennans' spot. Leave Garcia on the Bench next week. give Gomez a chance again. and if you have to, put Wynne out wide in the position Brennan was in this week, while he is suspended. Though I'd much prefer Guevera in Mid then Wynne. I like a 2-5-3 seemed to work...